Home

AUSTIN (KXAN) — On the heels of President Donald Trump’s inauguration, Austin’s Human Rights Commission voted in favor — in an 8-2 vote — of a recommendation to city council that would ban the city from using any Trump products or services.

The resolution recommends city council condemn President Trump’s and Vice President Mike Pence’s statements that discriminate against people based on their race, gender, national origin, religion or immigration status.

KXAN spoke with a Trump supporter, as well as the Travis County Taxpayer’s Union, who both said the city should be spending its time on matters it can control, like traffic, for example.

At the commission meeting Monday night, commissioners said the resolution is really symbolic, but sends an important message that Austin is welcoming and inclusive.

“I just find it disheartening that he is playing with the integrity of the office of the presidency,” Austin Human Rights Commissioner Garry Brown said. “Will this resolution change anything on its own? No. But adding our voice to the thousands and thousands and thousands of others across this country, that what he says and what he does is not okay.”

Some, like Roger Faulk, with the Travis County Taxpayer’s Union and President Trump supporter Bubba Bashaw, question, quite frankly, why the city is getting involved at all.

“I think it’s ridiculous. I think this city has a lot of challenges and a lot of problems and a lot of work to be done, and we shouldn’t be wasting our time on petty, partisan tantrums that are going to have no effect on the real world,” Faulk said. “How does boycotting Donald Trump resolve or made headway against rights issues? That makes no sense.”

“I think we’ve got a lot of homeless, we’ve got a lot of hungry people, we’ve got a lot of kids that go to school. I think there’s a great opportunity for the Human Rights Commission to make a positive impact on our city and playing with Trump paraphernalia is a waste of taxpayer dollars,” Bashaw said.

City officials told KXAN they do not believe any Trump products or services have been used in the line of official city business.

“I would imagine that the city, when employees go on a business trip on behalf of the city they don’t stay at Trump hotels, but you never know, and we just want to make sure that we’re covering all the bases,” Brown said. “The city prides itself on its human rights record and being welcoming to people of all walks of life.”

It will now be up to the city council to decide whether to adopt the recommended resolution.
The resolution recommends city council condemn President Trump’s and Vice President Mike Pence’s statements that discriminate against people based on their race, gender, national origin, religion or immigration status.
...as they discriminate against white, male, US born, Christians.
Austin is only another pearl in the liberal necklace. Their game plan for many decades has been to infiltrate and ultimately dominate the capitol city of each state. Control the politics of that city and you control the state, too.

Colorado, Texas, Oregon, Washington, and even Utah's capitol cities are heavy with liberals. It's probably true elsewhere, as well.
What will they do if Trump buys all the d i l d o factories?
"....I would imagine that the city, when employees go on a business trip on behalf of the city they don’t stay at Trump hotels...."

Really,....OK, let's see an AUDIT of previous junkets, short briefs on their "business" purposes, with all receipts attached. You know, Councilman,....something to give us grist for this very important milling operation.

whistle

Somebody drops that on his desk, he'll fold up like a wet towel.

GTC

It's even worse when your money is paying for this...
Well the Gov has told the Sheriff and i am sure they will get told that if they keep going down this avenue they will have a funding problem in the future.

Here's Hoping they shoot both their feet.
And here's the guy that got that big Marxist ball rolling!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeffrey_Friedman_(politician)

You should have seen the city council in those days!!! Jeez!!!

I remember the time they tried to outlaw the sale of handguns within the city limits!!!
I hate driving through there
fruitloop friedman.....
I condemn Austin’s Human Rights Commission.

To death.

Everyone dies, right?
Originally Posted by rost495
fruitloop friedman.....

It was a shining example of voter apathy. The University of Texas basically took over the city. Student were registered to vote as residents. They in turn went to the "hood" and registered more "New" voters. The old voter base stayed home. And they paid dearly for
It!! This was all at the tail end of Viêt Nam.

I've no use for UT personally. Have some greats friends that have papers from them but can't stand UT...
I've no use for UT personally. Have some greats friends that have papers from them but can't stand UT...

Amen brother.
Yeah. Young son's undergrad stuff is from UT. But he did graduate work at Texas Tech. He's thought about possible PhD work at UT. But he doesn't have a vagina, so he can't get in the program.
they have good food though

and I'm kinda partial to the Continental Club

I'd keep UT around strictly for their football team. Good scrimmage game to get ready for real league play..
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
fruitloop friedman.....

It was a shining example of voter apathy. The University of Texas basically took over the city. Student were registered to vote as residents. They in turn went to the "hood" and registered more "New" voters. The old voter base stayed home. And they paid dearly for
It!! This was all at the tail end of Viêt Nam.

it's the same way here in Gainesville, with the University of Florida. The entire City commission is solid left wing nutters. The students are pestered to register here, and vote here. They pass every tax hike, and social justice initiative. They keep the racial pot boiling. They are a hotbed of muslim activism. Disgusting
You try Colorado where denver has been taken over and they are working on the springs. I hope this no refuge city has some teeth in it.
Just fulfilling the destiny of "Keeping Austin Weird".

They honestly don't even have a clue why they are protesting or boycotting... It happens because one liberal somewhere thought it was a good idea. The rest just follow them off the cliff.
Originally Posted by hanco
I hate driving through there

Me too. Will try to avoid it in the future.
play with the bull, you're gonna get the horns

--------------

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott blocked funding to Austin on Wednesday after its sheriff said the city’s jails would no longer honor most federal immigration detainers.

Abbott’s move begins a crackdown over sanctuary city policies in the state. The Republican governor is also pushing to sign new laws that could go even further than President Donald Trump’s new executive actions against sanctuary policies.

Travis County officials condemned Abbott’s decision, which would cost Austin 1.5 million in grant money earmarked for crime victim services, courts and other programs. They stood by Sheriff Sally Hernandez, who announced after Trump’s inauguration that her jails would only honor immigration holds I murder, aggravated sexual assault and human trafficking cases.
Why pick and choose, keep em all or let em all go.

I had a talk the other day with a mexican gal at a cafe.

She had no clue what she was talking about. Did not like the new "rules" but then when I explained what they really said, and meant, she said well that makes sense at least... yes it does, but you are so liberally brainwashed in public schools these days its nuts.
The last thing worth a schitt in Austin was when Sam Bass rode into town!!
Invite the queers in & queers is what you get.....
© 24hourcampfire