Home
Posted By: PaulBarnard Screw Cabelas - 02/17/17
This is what they do to me. They have their regular price on a rifle. That's a price I will never pay. It's way more than I can buy the rifle for at many other places.

Let's use their stainless Savage lightweight hunter as an example. Their price is $699. I'd never pay that much for the gun. But Cabela's runs some pretty good sales sometimes. In this case they dropped the price to $499. I start thinking about the calibers they offer it in and whether or not I have any gaps in my coverage. I don't. In ultralight rifles alone I have all I'd ever need to hunt anything from prairie dogs to brown bears. I have a stainless LWH in 223 and love the gun. But good sense prevails an I shelve the notion.

A few days after I get the sale paper showing the $499 price I get a Cabelas coupon in the mail. $20 off a purchase of $150 or more. I start thinking again. Man, my grandson would love one of those in 6.5 Creedmoor. The side of my brain that fights loonyism kicks in "Paul, you idiot, you already have a Howa 6.5x55 in the safe that you bought to give him in a few years." I decide I'll go to Savage's website and see what all calibers it's offered in. While I am there I look at their rebate offers. $75 off.

Uh oh. You know how the loony's mind works. I start doing the math. I round off. 500 minus the 20 is $480. Oh, I almost forgot Cabelas gives me a 5% military discount. That's another $20 off. $460. Then there's the rebate. That takes that sweet little rifle down to $385.

My Cabelas is about an hour away, so I didn't load up and go. I marinaded on it for a while. I think about all the lonely rifles in my safe that rarely get used. I go open my safe and look at the rifles. Heck, I am out of room in my safes. "Paul, you idiot, yes it's a good deal, but you know damn well you don't need another rifle. It's ridiculous to think about it." Good judgment prevails if only for a moment.

My only question to you is what caliber should I get it in?

Posted By: RWE Re: Screw Cabelas - 02/17/17
30-06.
Posted By: kingston Re: Screw Cabelas - 02/17/17
Posted By: hanco Re: Screw Cabelas - 02/17/17
30 06
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: Screw Cabelas - 02/17/17
It's not offered in 30-06. I already have a Ruger UL 30-06.
Posted By: Whttail_in_MT Re: Screw Cabelas - 02/17/17
The rebate form on the Savage site doesn't list the 16/116 LWH as eligible. Am I missing it? I'm thinking about picking one up too.
Ah. When I bought my last lightweight, it had a rebate on the 16/116 "series" This one specifies 16/116 "weather warrior" which is the stainless synthetic line. Does it apply to the LWH stainless synthetic? I better call them to find out.
Posted By: Whttail_in_MT Re: Screw Cabelas - 02/17/17
Please let me/us know what you find out. Is the .223 9" twist?
Posted By: Aggiehunter03 Re: Screw Cabelas - 02/17/17
Sounds like you need the rifle and pick up a bigger safe while you're there. Never let something as silly as not enough room in the safe stand in the way.
Posted By: 4winds Re: Screw Cabelas - 02/17/17
270 or 30-06 whistle
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Screw Cabelas - 02/17/17
Originally Posted by Aggiehunter03
Sounds like you need the rifle and pick up a bigger safe while you're there. Never let something as silly as not enough room in the safe stand in the way.

Bigger safe instead.
Posted By: NDsnowman Re: Screw Cabelas - 02/17/17
Remember that a 270 makes you gay.
Posted By: M1Garand Re: Screw Cabelas - 02/17/17
7-08. Double check your Cabela's coupon fine details. Most I get say they don't apply to firearms.
Posted By: OutlawPatriot Re: Screw Cabelas - 02/17/17
Does that military discount include veterans? Or just active duty?
Posted By: OutlawPatriot Re: Screw Cabelas - 02/17/17
FWIW, I wouldn't get the guy something in one of those boutique calibers. I'm sure it's a great round but get him something where the ammo is somewhat affordable and easy to find. My vote is for a 308, great all around caliber, accurate and easy to find.
Posted By: akpls Re: Screw Cabelas - 02/17/17
Originally Posted by OutlawPatriot
I just got a discount at Cabelas for being a veteran last weekend. I didn't ask them, they asked me. Just had to show proof and the VA card I had on me satisfied them.
Posted By: Bugger Re: Screw Cabelas - 02/17/17
you can never have enough 30-06's. You should have at least 6 of them
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Screw Cabelas - 02/17/17
270, you know you are.......
Posted By: 700LH Re: Screw Cabelas - 02/17/17
Think I'd call and be sure of the discount before I drove an hour one way.
Posted By: Spotshooter Re: Screw Cabelas - 02/17/17
1) I don't think they give you that discount on firearms... for mil.

Always buy a gun in a good caliber you "DON'T" need.

That way you don't have to buy another one... because you already have a good one that you aren't using.

Posted By: victoro Re: Screw Cabelas - 02/17/17
That's what I say! I buy a lot of stuff at Cabela's including firearms (if it's on sale). I ordered a Beretta pistol 2/14 that was on sale and got an email 2/15 that is was ready for pickup. I went to pick it up yesterday 2/16 and when I got to the firearms counter the ticket dispenser where you get a number so they will know who the next customer is wasn't working. I asked one of the guys behind the counter about it and he said it was a corporate directive to stop using it. This was at the store in Buda, Texas but I assume that it is national policy. I asked him how he knew which customer to serve next and he just shrugged his shoulders. I asked a customer who was there when I got there if he had been waiting a long time and he said he had. I told him I guess I'll just stand behind you until you get served and hope I'm not cutting in front of anybody. I waited about 20 minutes before I got served which isn't that big a deal, I don't mind waiting as long as no one cuts in front of me. I asked the Cabela's guy (a retired San Antonio cop) about the ticket dispenser and he said they weren't using it was because the corporate office said they were getting a lot of customer complaints about it. He thought it was BS too because when they're busy there is no way they can keep track of who should be served next and some of the customers were really pissed by the time they got served. He suggested I talk to the store manager before I left and fill out the customer survey and the website address would be on my receipt. He took my pistol to another section where you wait in line for someone to hand you an iPad for filling out the 4473 and then checking when you get through. The person that does the iPad thing doesn't wait on any customers. You then have to wait in another line to actually take possession of your firearm. The whole process took about an hour with most of the time was the 4473 process. I have a handgun license so I'm used to buying a firearm in 15-20 minutes. I didn't have time to talk to the manager yesterday but I called this morning and left him a message to call me back. I don't expect him to call back but if he does and I don't like what he says I'm done with Cabela's. The guy at the firearms counter did tell me that the decision to stop using the ticket dispenser was made by Cabela's before Bass Pro Shop took over.
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
Please let me/us know what you find out. Is the .223 9" twist?

Yes.

Retired and active duty. I don't know about vets who served but didn't retire.
Originally Posted by Spotshooter
1) I don't think they give you that discount on firearms... for mil.

Always buy a gun in a good caliber you "DON'T" need.

That way you don't have to buy another one... because you already have a good one that you aren't using.

They do give the military discount on guns.
Posted By: JSTUART Re: Screw Cabelas - 02/17/17
sweet little rifle

First time I have seen a modern Savage referred to as 'sweet'.
Originally Posted by JSTUART
sweet little rifle

First time I have seen a modern Savage referred to as 'sweet'.

I defy you to handle one of the stainless LWH rifles and not think sweet. If handling it doesn't win you over, getting well under MOA groups should.
Posted By: WiFowler Re: Screw Cabelas - 02/17/17

Certainly active duty and retired. Not sure about 'short termers'.
Posted By: jnyork Re: Screw Cabelas - 02/17/17
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

"Paul, you idiot, yes it's a good deal, but you know damn well you don't need another rifle. It's ridiculous to think about it."

So, what does "need" have to do with anything? grin
© 24hourcampfire