Home
Cavs star thinks earth (Urth) is flat.

Independent research over the internet needed... shocked

After Jefferson and Frye agreed the Earth is a sphere, because they are sane human beings, Irving said, “The Earth is flat,” and then repeated it three times. Insinuating that much of our education is a farce that needs to be independently researched on the internet, Irving launched into a series of truly amazing diatribes, all of which were interrupted by Jefferson or Frye before he could finish his point.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/hey-ev...elieves-the-earth-is-flat-222937229.html
You're saying it's not??? crazy

I thought….
Originally Posted by byc
You're saying it's not??? crazy

I thought….

Not saying he's not.

Just saying that even the fake news reporters couldn't conjure this up... grin

One of the few stories I do believe. wink
get Gus on here, quick!
Originally Posted by kid0917
get Gus on here, quick!

I already paged him.

Telepathically. grin
...but does he believe in dinosaurs?
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by kid0917
get Gus on here, quick!

I already paged him.

Telepathically. grin

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

whoa --you serious ?? laugh
Originally Posted by kingston

Liberals do.

http://www.inquisitr.com/1346850/steven-spielberg-hunting-photo-sparks-hilarious-online-outrage/
It's not flat? Who would have thought that?
Originally Posted by hanco
It's not flat? Who would have thought that?

Those that don't get past the second grade?
I actually talked to a guy this past fall who believes the earth is flat as well. Not a stupid guy either, in fact he's a rather well known and successful photographer and is quite intelligent, but he really believes the earth is flat. I didn't see a reason to ridicule him but I did ask on what he was basing that. Part of it was for biblical belief reasons, but he had others too. A few were easily dismissed, like being able to see the lights of US cities from the beach of Lake Erie on the Canadian side. Mostly it was about planes, and how the curvature of the earth is not visible from a plane, and something about how there are no flight over Antarctica or something like that. I found it interesting, never met anyone who believed that before.
This is my new favorite topic, "Flat Earthers".

The skinny.

http://www.livescience.com/24310-flat-earth-belief.html
If it was Flat, none of that water would have drained away for Noah, he'd still be bobbin around in the Ark, duh.!

Wrongman as a Congresscritter...
Originally Posted by xxclaro
I actually talked to a guy this past fall who believes the earth is flat as well. Not a stupid guy either, in fact he's a rather well known and successful photographer and is quite intelligent, but he really believes the earth is flat. I didn't see a reason to ridicule him but I did ask on what he was basing that. Part of it was for biblical belief reasons, but he had others too. A few were easily dismissed, like being able to see the lights of US cities from the beach of Lake Erie on the Canadian side. Mostly it was about planes, and how the curvature of the earth is not visible from a plane, and something about how there are no flight over Antarctica or something like that. I found it interesting, never met anyone who believed that before.

Then I guess he's never seen pictures of the earth from space.
Originally Posted by KMS
Originally Posted by xxclaro

Then I guess he's never seen pictures of the earth from space.

Oh that was covered too, but explained away as composite imagines and manipulations by NASA. Being a photographer, he had some explanation as to how that effect could be achieved, but I didn't know enough about it to dispute it.
Well, I guarantee you can see the curvature of the earth at 55,000'
Irving runs around a flat wooden court playing with a little globe. He probably thinks he's Atlas.
"Lucy, you know the world aint round
It drops off sharp at the edge of town.
Lucy, you know the world must be flat
'Cause when people leave town they never come back."
Everyone knows that the earth is a tetrahedron. We all talk about the 4 corners of the earth and only a tetrahedron has that. Those who believe it's flat are technically correct because it has 4 equal sides, each being a perfect equilateral triangle.
theres people that actually believe that. google some of their schit. they can be very convincing. i personally think the earth is square but then again i grew up in the 70's.
Now there's more NBA brutha's defending Irving and turning it to a full blown fiasco.

Of course LeBron James would defend Kyrie Irving, he’s his teammate, but what about any opponents on hand at All-Star weekend? If you had to pick one NBA All-Star to align himself, however slightly, with Kyrie Irving’s assertion that the idea that the planet Earth is round is “a façade,” it would probably be Golden State Warriors forward Draymond Green

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/draymo...vings-flat-earth-approach-205131406.html

No wonder the democrats and the media target these people with their lies.
I've seen Flat Earth ideas getting more popular lately. There are some compelling Youtubes. What I've found is that this is now being coupled with a belief in Christianity and a wide-ranging conspiracy theory about how the "Truth" is being kept from us by the New World Order.

Yeah, I know. Don't get me started.

Let me give you the gist of what's going on:

1) The United Nations logo proves the New World Order knows the Earth is flat. That's really how the earth looks. Cold in the middle (North Pole) Temperate in the middle and cold again at the edges (South Pole).

2) Ships disappearing over the horizon are an optical illusion. You need a zoom lens to see the truth. They then show mirages of tankers hanging in mid-air.

3) Since you can occasionally can see the skyline of Chicago from the west coast of Michigan, that means the Planet is flat. Nevermind that you need a temperature inversion in the intervening atmosphere to make it happen.

Flat Earth is a lot like Creationism. The idea is that because things weren't mentioned in the Bible or that scientific belief is contradicted in the Bible, it must be false. The idea of a round Earth, therefore, is the workings of the Devil and Devil worshippers in the New World Order.

I had a close friend who was deeply into this. I did my best to refute the Youtube videos and also offered to repeat some of the early experiments that indicated the world was round. I'm fairly convinced he did not change his mind, but he gave up haranguing me.

What I find most disturbing about the Flat Earth purveyors is that it is obvious from the Youtubes alone that these people don't believe the crap themselves. The videos are put together with deliberately deceptive arguments. This is similar to what the Vatican was doing 500 years ago. Columbus didn't prove the Earth was round. That was already pretty settled fact. The Greeks knew it. A flat Earth was just a more convenient way to take money from the dumb peasants.

How is this done? Stand up in your pulpit on Sunday and tell everyone the Earth is flat and lay the whole Aristotelian Model on them, and then let them know the truth is being obscured by Evil. It's being taught in Universities, it's being included in government-approved textbooks. It's being pushed down their throats by Devil worshippers. NASA is a fake. Astronomers, physicists and all intellectuals are minions of Satan. Only you and the Church you represent are holding off the Evil. Then stick your hand out and ask for money.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by stevelyn
[Linked Image]

Stop it!

That's just trickery!

Must be atmospheric conditions warping the perception of the camera...

Oh. Wait... there's no atmosphere up there. grin
Originally Posted by kingston

Liberals do.

http://www.inquisitr.com/1346850/steven-spielberg-hunting-photo-sparks-hilarious-online-outrage/

Thanks for the link. Maybe more people should post photos of themselves posing with long extinct animals just to show the ignorance of the left.
Here's more...

Trump's kids killing dinosaurs.

These are the kind of people that young sports idiots look up to, wear jerseys with their name on them and "want to be like"!! Stupid will always be stupid whether you swing from a hoop or a vine !!!!!!!

After Jefferson and Frye agreed the Earth is a sphere, because they are sane human beings, Irving said, “The Earth is flat,” and then repeated it three times. Insinuating that much of our education is a farce that needs to be independently researched on the internet, Irving launched into a series of truly amazing diatribes, all of which were interrupted by Jefferson or Frye before he could finish his point.

What would you expect from a porch monkey who spent more time on a basket ball court than in a classroom.. Their all just trained apes for someones amusement..
I have to wonder how much trouble their coaches have trying to teach them a play?

That HAS to be a factor.
Never understood why any intelligent person paid any attention to basketball players. Black guys with defective pituitary glands dancing around in underwear. What's the attraction?
There are people who enjoy that $hit i guess< I think it a good thing because the ones playing are too fuggin stupid to do anything else!! surprised they can even breath on their own!!!!
Here's more...

Trump's kids killing dinosaurs.

God help us.
Originally Posted by shaman
Flat Earth is a lot like Creationism. The idea is that because things weren't mentioned in the Bible or that scientific belief is contradicted in the Bible, it must be false. The idea of a round Earth, therefore, is the workings of the Devil and Devil worshippers in the New World Order.

Columbus believed the earth was round from reading the Bible. From the Bible:

Isaiah 40:22

"He sits enthroned above the circle of the earth, and its people are like grasshoppers. He stretches out the heavens like a canopy, and spreads them out like a tent to live in."

Job 26:10

"He has inscribed a circle on the surface of the waters at the boundary of light and darkness."
Sailors figured this out many many years ago!!
Originally Posted by Ringman

"He sits enthroned above the circle of the earth, and its people are like grasshoppers. He stretches out the heavens like a canopy, and spreads them out like a tent to live in."

"He has inscribed a circle on the surface of the waters at the boundary of light and darkness."

Not to worry Ringman, you're still ours.
We need to bring back some sort of testing before you can vote.
Originally Posted by Borchardt
We need to bring back some sort of testing before you can vote.

Sounds great!
"Beyond here there are Dragons"
Originally Posted by Sharpsman
Sailors figured this out many many years ago!!

What??? The earth isn't flat? Gee, you learn new things every day!
the arc of the sun shows the shape of the sun for anybody with a half an active brain cell.
Originally Posted by navlav8r

There is that. Bit lower actually.
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Originally Posted by navlav8r

There is that. Bit lower actually.

Ah! See, the dedicated Flat Earther will tell you that it is an optical illusion brought on by the effects of altitude, the curvature of the window or the camera lens, blah, blah. . .

However, once you've gone down this bunny hole, nothing makes sense anymore. The other thing you have to understand is the purveyors of this crap don't believe it either. However, if you buy into it, you are checking your logical thinking at the threshold.

I have a 10" Dobsonian telescope that I sometimes bring out for some stargazing. Years ago, a telcom salesman lived down the street, and he used to come up and watch me do stuff. That, in and of itself, was weird. He'd never pick up a hammer or anything, but he enjoyed watching me do home improvement.

Anyway, Steve saw me out in my driveway one night and he came up to see what I was doing. He and his wife had just joined a new church that was deeply into anti-Evolution, anti-this and anti-that. It was a clear moonless night in the winter and I was trying to see what I could see. He stood and watched me for a while, and I described things to him like the Andromeda Galaxy and such. I offered to have him take a look. He stiffened.

"No," he said. "I'm sure if I looked in there, it would be nice, but I'd see things that would make my life more complicated. I don't need complicated. I like simple answers."

Ah! But to a Flat Earther, Isaiah and Job were talking about a circle (2D) instead of a sphere(3D). We could be living on a dinner plate instead of a billiard ball.

Ah! But to a Flat Earther, Isaiah and Job were talking about a circle (2D) instead of a sphere(3D). We could be living on a dinner plate instead of a billiard ball.

I wonder how they explain all the other planets, stars and moons keeping the flat side of their disk to earth at all times?

Do they say how an eclipse works with a flat surface?

laugh
Flat earthers claim that the sun and moon are spheres. Lunar eclipses are the result of an anti-moon. They've got it all figured out. It's all in the link that I posted above. I'm going to join. If you join, please put me down for the referral.

I wonder how they explain all the other planets, stars and moons keeping the flat side of their disk to earth at all times?

Do they say how an eclipse works with a flat surface?

laugh

You have to remember that this is mostly a matter of "Don't confuse things with the facts, my mind is made up." I gave up a long time ago trying to joust at the "Fake Moon Landing" and "911 was an Inside Job" windmills.

I shouldn't really say that. It's not accurate. Even the most wrong-headed ideas are based on what folks believe are facts. Furthermore, once someone links this to their Faith, it's impossible to extricate it.

BTW: For those of you who feel Flat Earth Theory makes your head spin, then Hollow Earth Theory will make it explode. Jules Verne did not pull the idea out of his sphincter. It came from a popular theory. Edmund Halley (of comet fame) was a big proponent. The major US proponent, John Cleves Symmes Jr., was born and bred just down river from me in Cleves, Ohio. There is a monument to his work in downtown Hamilton, Ohio. At one point, the US government was going to mount an expedition to the North Pole "hole." However, Andrew Jackson killed the project when he took office.

I bumped across Symmes when I was researching his father in preparation for a novel. Symmes' father was a piece of work as well. He's most famous for the Symmes Purchase, a huge tract of land in SW Ohio that includes the entirety of the Cincinnati/Dayton metroplex. He worked off a botched survey that forgot to take into account the difference between True North and Magnetic North. He then made matters worse by selling tracts outside the original purchase. There were actions in the courts throughout the 19th century to settle exactly who owned what in this part of the world.

© 24hourcampfire