Home
Just when I think that the 'other side' has hit rock bottom....

https://www.change.org/p/internatio...ranges?utm_source=embedded_petition_view

Young black men are three times more likely to be shot by trained shooters than their white peers. There’s a disturbing potential correlation -- the most popular target for shooters to learn to use their firearm is a black silhouette.

An academic study published by University of Illinois researchers drew together findings from 42 different studies on trigger bias to examine whether race affects how likely a target is to be shot. The study’s principal researcher, Yara Mekawi, found that people were “quicker to shoot black targets with a gun relative to white targets with a gun. And...people were more trigger-happy when shooting black targets compared to shooting white targets.”

Shooters weren't just faster to fire at black targets; they were also more likely to fire at a black target.

We are calling on the International Association of Law Enforcement Firearms Instructors to update and modernize the instruction and teaching techniques being used to train the majority of law enforcement officers by taking into account recent research on trigger bias.

Our end goal is to eliminate the use of the most popular target for shooters when learning to use their firearm: a black silhouette. There should be #NoMoreBlackTargets in shooting ranges, permitting, and instruction environments, or anywhere someone is learning to use a firearm.

Unconscious bias can be deadly, and we need to fight the deadly epidemic of gun violence towards black people. Getting rid of black targets at shooting ranges and replacing them with variations of of more diverse target designs, changing from the negative stimulus shown in the study above.

“No More Black Targets” -- a collective of artists, diverse in backgrounds, ethnicities and nationalities, working in paint, digital media, pattern making and also physical installations to bring new artwork to life -- stand for a world where there is more paint and less hate.

Visit nomoreblacktargets.com to create your own artwork and share.
That is insane.
How about target with a beard and a . . .
I think it's funny.

Won't change a thing as far as statistics go.

Maybe if they want less of their race shot and killed, their efforts would be better spent on teaching them them not to do crimes they could be shot for. wink
Good practice is as realistic as possible.
I have two boxes of Black human targets, Thinking there 100 in a box. Ya I'm good.
I've never paid much attention, but if memory serves I see just as many of these
[Linked Image]

As I do these
[Linked Image]
White paint for silhouette shooters?

laugh
Go ahead and reverse the colors, black outer and white silhouette.

So what are you going to whine about now?
Originally Posted by T_Inman
I've never paid much attention, but if memory serves I see just as many of these
[Linked Image]

As I do these
[Linked Image]

OH!!!! So ALL targets matter??!!??

whistle laugh
Gonna have to do something about all those "black rifles" we have...

How do they know who the intended targets are? smile
"An academic study published by University of Illinois"

Our educational system is soooo ffucked up.
In 20 years of law enforcement, I have yet to shoot at a black target. The backers of these studies can blow me.
Is this an Onion piece?
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444
Is this an Onion piece?

Nope.

Real deal.

http://www.nomoreblacktargets.com/
I've been using green targets for a while. Given their sophisticated study, do you suppose that will cause me to shoot a crazy environmentalist?
Is this an Onion piece?

The comments at change. org are just mind-blowing:

"I'm signing this because I am tired of black people being killed. Won't concentric circles work for a Target sheet?"

"I am white and stand with my black brothers and sisters. The higher likelihood that young black men are shot more often than young white men is just wrong!! Let's do whatever we can to stop this inequality."

"I'm signing because I think the author of this petition is right about the danger of human black targets at shooting ranges. Having those there contributes to dehumanizing blacks, and thus endangers them further."
Pure unadulterated horse chit.

You can bet your ass that your hard earned tax dollars went to a government grant to conduct this "scientific" study too.
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
Pure unadulterated horse chit.

You can bet your ass that your hard earned tax dollars went to a government grant to conduct this "scientific" study too.

Yep.

Contrived and completed by emotional, white guilt snowflakes.
Reminds me of the great General's words, "You can't fix stupid. "
Originally Posted by colodog

Dude don't ask; they'll find SOMETHING, and use OUR money to do it!
Nothing new, we were forced to switch to green colored targets because the new administrators didn't want to be perceived as racist.

i.made smart ass comment once about what we're we going to do when about Martian sues us
damn great entertainment could be had selling targets with afro's on facebook

I did my part and signed.........Goegh Fahqyerself.

Originally Posted by colodog

Pfffft............Doesn't matter. We have always used IPSC/USPSA silhouettes anyway. Cardboard brown on one side, Irish/Scandinavian cracker white on the other. More or less represents our demographics.
Originally Posted by gonehuntin
Is this an Onion piece?

The comments at change. org are just mind-blowing:

"I'm signing this because I am tired of black people being killed. Won't concentric circles work for a Target sheet?"

"I am white and stand with my black brothers and sisters. The higher likelihood that young black men are shot more often than young white men is just wrong!! Let's do whatever we can to stop this inequality."

"I'm signing because I think the author of this petition is right about the danger of human black targets at shooting ranges. Having those there contributes to dehumanizing blacks, and thus endangers them further."

As I've been saying, about half of the US population aren't worth the risk of defending.
My department did that years ago. No problem that we now use white targets.
I was at a gun shop, picking up ammo, and asked about targets. Was told "the circles are on the shelf there, and the Obamas are hanging on the wall behind, if we have any left. They are very popular"
Put Birkenstocks on all targets.
As most perps are black, and a majority of thugs of all races seem to prefer black clothing - I'll use the black targets, thank you - for a bit of realism smile
Responding to these idiots gets difficult.
Huh?
"You change orgy folks see racism in a traffic light. Dweebs"

Pretty damn funny.
How 'bout pink?
Many years ago there was a big stir at a Houston gun show because they were selling "Running N----r" targets, with the perp carrying a watermelon.

VERY popular, though, as I recall.

Mike
Originally Posted by Gibby
That is insane.
That's the left....totally insane..
I like black target, easier to see holes.
did someone define the word silhouette for these pricks?

A silhouette is the image of a person, animal, object or scene represented as a solid shape of a single color, usually black, with its edges matching the outline of the subject. The interior of a silhouette is featureless, and the whole is typically presented on a light background, usually white, or none at all. The silhouette differs from an outline, which depicts the edge of an object in a linear form, while a silhouette appears as a solid shape. Silhouette images may be created in any visual artistic media,[1] but was first used to describe pieces of cut paper, which were then stuck to a backing in a contrasting colour, and often framed.

Oddly enough, the silhouette of a white ne'er-do-well looks the same as the silhouette of a black ne'er-do-well

Let's solve it by making the silhouette rainbow colored......

whistle
Depending on the lighting, sometimes white's easier to see or maybe blacks's easier to see.
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
[Linked Image]

That's funny! grin
Originally Posted by gonehuntin

Young black men are three times more likely to be shot by trained shooters than their white peers.
Could that be because male blacks between the ages of 14 and 24 are about a hundred times more likely to engage in violent crime than whites?
© 24hourcampfire