Home
Posted By: wabigoon Light Bulb Rant - 02/21/17
All I wanted is a couple of 1950 style light bulbs.

Looking in Menards, the types, base size, razzaldazzle, fancy pants, HIGH PRICED$$$$$, "energy efficient", and so on bulbs.
I just want bulbs for a corn crib, maybe on two hours a year.
Posted By: NVhntr Re: Light Bulb Rant - 02/21/17
Go to your nearest dollar store.
Posted By: byc Re: Light Bulb Rant - 02/21/17
Richard send me an address. No problem….

David
Posted By: rost495 Re: Light Bulb Rant - 02/21/17
put LED in there and never look back. Can't understand what folks would have against LED> I know about FL... but that didn't bother us, but i got it.

I've not seen one bad thing about LED.
Posted By: fburgtx Re: Light Bulb Rant - 02/21/17
The LED's are great. You can even get a "100 watt equivalent" and stick it in a "60 watt max" fixture, and really brighten things up. (1600 lumens vs. 800)

You can still find "hard service" lightbulbs for fans and garage door openers if you were to need a "heat source" in addition to the light.

The CFL's suck...

PS You want a "color temp" of 2700k to match normal old incandescent bulbs.
Posted By: Deerwhacker444 Re: Light Bulb Rant - 02/21/17
[b][color:#3333FF]1000 Bulbs..[/color][/b]
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Light Bulb Rant - 02/21/17
being a true Luddite, I have a lot of 100, 75, 60 watt real light bulbs squirreled away.
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: Light Bulb Rant - 02/21/17
Originally Posted by rost495
put LED in there and never look back. Can't understand what folks would have against LED> I know about FL... but that didn't bother us, but i got it.

The spiral shaped LED lights suck ass.

I found some 100 watt LED's that are shaped like normal light bulbs that I'm going to try in the garage however. They're expensive but "supposed" to last 10 years. So we'll see.

**Edit**

I think the spiral bulbs are fluorescent not LED. My bad.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Light Bulb Rant - 02/21/17
LED's are great and prices are getting lower but who wants to spend $10 or more for a bulb that gets used 1 or 2 times a year per the OP?
Posted By: viking Re: Light Bulb Rant - 02/21/17
I've been beaching about that for years, my last 300 watt bulb just bit the dust.
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: Light Bulb Rant - 02/21/17
Originally Posted by viking
I've been beaching about that for years, my last 300 watt bulb just bit the dust.

Sam could send you 3 - 100 watt bulbs.

grin
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Light Bulb Rant - 02/21/17
LED bulbs rock.
Posted By: Pahntr760 Re: Light Bulb Rant - 02/21/17
I just bought 2x 300 watt incandescent bulbs today at the Wally World. I use these for the garage general lighting.

Otherwise, everything is/has been swapped to LED. I really like LED bulbs, much, much better than CFL ever were. Yeah, they're expensive-er, but they will last longer and I like the "daylight" 6000K color.
Posted By: Wtxj Re: Light Bulb Rant - 02/21/17
Originally Posted by Steelhead
LED bulbs rock.

Yes they do.
Posted By: Wtxj Re: Light Bulb Rant - 02/21/17
Originally Posted by Pahntr760
I just bought 2x 300 watt incandescent bulbs today at the Wally World. I use these for the garage general lighting.

Otherwise, everything is/has been swapped to LED. I really like LED bulbs, much, much better than CFL ever were. Yeah, they're expensive-er, but they will last longer and I like the "daylight" 6000K color.

I have 2 bulbs of CFL left, think I'll dump them. I have converted in my mind to LED's.
Posted By: smokepole Re: Light Bulb Rant - 02/21/17
Originally Posted by Wtxj
I have converted in my mind to LED's.

That's nothing. I've converted in my mind to a retired millionaire. Just wait til the guys at work hear about this!!
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Light Bulb Rant - 02/21/17
I had no idea that they made LED light bulbs.
Posted By: fish head Re: Light Bulb Rant - 02/21/17
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
LED's are great and prices are getting lower but who wants to spend $10 or more for a bulb that gets used 1 or 2 times a year per the OP?

Yesterday I bought ten 60w equivalent (10 watt actual) LEDs for $1.00 a piece at the grocery store.

Posted By: mack5511 Re: Light Bulb Rant - 02/21/17
Wally World 4 60w equivalent for 5.75 right now.
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Light Bulb Rant - 02/21/17
Be careful to check service life ratings... the cheap ones are usually cheap for a reason...
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Light Bulb Rant - 02/21/17
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
being a true Luddite, I have a lot of 100, 75, 60 watt real light bulbs squirreled away.

Scary, we think along the same lines Sam. wink
Posted By: lastofthebreed Re: Light Bulb Rant - 02/21/17
You know, there are some folks out there who use incandescent bulbs in their well house to keep the water lines going to the house from freezing in the winter.

There are others who use incandescent bulbs to heat their incubators so that eggs are kept at a just right temperature.

CFL's were, and are, a pain in the azz. LED's are great but have their limitations.
Posted By: stevelyn Re: Light Bulb Rant - 02/21/17

I have nothing against LEDs. I like them and I'm converting my house over to to LED fixtures and bulbs.

But incandescents are useful for places you need safe heat output such as wellheads, pump houses and propane tank enclosures. Propane doesn't vaporize well much below 0* F. Kinda sucks when you can't fry up breakfast because it's -40*F and the burners barely put out a flame.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Light Bulb Rant - 02/21/17
Originally Posted by lastofthebreed
You know, there are some folks out there who use incandescent bulbs in their well house to keep the water lines going to the house from freezing in the winter.

There are others who use incandescent bulbs to heat their incubators so that eggs are kept at a just right temperature.

CFL's were, and are, a pain in the azz. LED's are great but have their limitations.

I use a little portable heater for the well house.
Posted By: kellory Re: Light Bulb Rant - 02/21/17
Rough service, fan bulbs, oven bulbs, garage operator bulbs, are all the same thing. A slightly smaller globe, and a heavier filament. (Vibration kills most bulbs) only one with a diffrence is the oven bulb, which has a heat coating on the globe to prevent broken glass in your food.
No matter what, THAT bulb will always exist, because all replacement bulb types melt at oven temps.
If they are not designed for the load,
I would suggest reducing those 300wt bulbs to what the fixtures and wires are rated for. Adding a few aftermarket lights would be a lot cheaper than the repairs from the possible fire.
Oversized bulbs are easy money sevice calls, because parts are burnt and have to be replaced. (I'd know, I'm the service tech.)
Posted By: bigwhoop Re: Light Bulb Rant - 02/21/17
The entire light bulb is the result of the EPA meddling with the climate change bullcrap. When the CFL's became the "norm" Sylvannia, Phillips and GE moved their
plants to China in order to be competitive with the cost of fluorescents - all the US plants closed. After the mercury and questionable service life took its toll and the new generation of bulbs. LED's were the next best thing to save the planet.
Like a few others, I have squirreled away dozens of "old style" bulbs that fit in the fixtures we have without modification.
Posted By: 700LH Re: Light Bulb Rant - 02/21/17
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444

Clicked this link, all I did was look for a minute or two, no info given, didn't even go as far as cart, they sent me a email soon after.
Was a first, I would rather not have happened.

Guess i'm going to have to look for a program to block such.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Light Bulb Rant - 02/21/17
I love the old 300 watt bulbs.

I bought a case of them before they were criminalized.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Light Bulb Rant - 02/21/17
I rebuild our old camp trailer and went 100% LED's. I get lots of light and the battery drain is a fraction of the old lights.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Light Bulb Rant - 02/21/17
They are good bulbs.

I have had one burning in my shop for two years now full time.

Keeps the bats out some.

Posted By: GunReader Re: Light Bulb Rant - 02/21/17
I jumped on CFLs and then began replacing them with LEDs as I could afford it. It has made a noticeable reduction in our electric bill.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Light Bulb Rant - 02/22/17
Originally Posted by Rooster7
Originally Posted by viking

Sam could send you 3 - 100 watt bulbs.

grin

I could, but then nothing in life is free. lol
Posted By: JMR40 Re: Light Bulb Rant - 02/22/17
Just buy LED's and be done with it if you're lighting a room. LED's would have killed incandescent bulbs without the EPA anyway, no reason to cry about it. CFL's were a mistake. I have lots of 8 tracks and haven't had an 8 track player for 40 years. Things change, deal with it.

If you want to heat a room, there are much more efficient methods anyway and bulbs under 100 watt are still available. Use a fixture with two 60 watt bulbs.
Posted By: Spotshooter Re: Light Bulb Rant - 02/22/17
Many people went out and bought a case or more of 100 and or 60 watt bulbs because of the regulation that was coming.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Light Bulb Rant - 02/22/17
When the bulb ban started, LED's were too expensive and sizes were limited. Since then, prices have dropped a lot and they're available in most common sizes. Necessity is the mother of invention.
Posted By: deflave Re: Light Bulb Rant - 02/22/17

I just bought a pack of 3 LED bulbs for $6.00.

If that's a cause for financial concern, light bulbs are the least of a person's problems.

Dave
Posted By: smokepole Re: Light Bulb Rant - 02/22/17
That's right. Have you checked the price of toilet paper lately?
Posted By: Redneck Re: Light Bulb Rant - 02/22/17

Only bad thing I've noted is the cheap brands do NOT last anywhere NEAR as long as they advertise.. Already have had two fail and they're less than a year old..

Lesson learned..
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Light Bulb Rant - 02/22/17
We have several ceiling fans which all use, unfortunately, candelabra base bulbs. LED candelabra bulbs don't put out enough light. 60w incand bulbs are rated at nearly 800 lumens and I've never found LED's brighter than 550 even though they're rated at 60w equivalent. If you've ever seen 75w LED's with the small bases, please tell me where.
Posted By: MacLorry Re: Light Bulb Rant - 02/22/17
Originally Posted by stevelyn

I have nothing against LEDs. I like them and I'm converting my house over to to LED fixtures and bulbs.

But incandescents are useful for places you need safe heat output such as wellheads, pump houses and propane tank enclosures. Propane doesn't vaporize well much below 0* F. Kinda sucks when you can't fry up breakfast because it's -40*F and the burners barely put out a flame.

Besides not given off much heat, which is why they're so efficient, most LED bulbs have a minimum operating temperature of no colder than -22° F. Not so good for outside use in places that get colder than that.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Light Bulb Rant - 02/22/17
Originally Posted by MacLorry

Besides not given off much heat, which is why they're so efficient, most LED bulbs have a minimum operating temperature of no colder than -22° F. Not so good for outside use in places that get colder than that.

What? LEDS should have NO problems in COLD weather. CFL's on the other hand, no.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Light Bulb Rant - 02/22/17

In our pumphouse here, when we MIGHT get a hard freeze, I have a 200? watt heat lamp... no plain old 100 watt white bulbs or such..

I realize LED cant' do that, but IIRC the OP did not mention needing heat, only light.
Originally Posted by Steelhead

What? LEDS should have NO problems in COLD weather. CFL's on the other hand, no.

But LEDs do have a cold weather problem. Just check the specifications before you buy if you intend to use LED bulbs outside in cold climate. -22° F is fine for most people, but if you need -40° F you may be out of luck.
Posted By: sse Re: Light Bulb Rant - 02/22/17
The LED's are great.

Many people went out and bought a case or more of 100 and or 60 watt bulbs because of the regulation that was coming.

our country is so divided
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Light Bulb Rant - 02/22/17
"Watt" do you mean by that sse? (smile)
Posted By: sse Re: Light Bulb Rant - 02/22/17
Originally Posted by wabigoon
"Watt" do you mean by that sse? (smile)

sick
Posted By: JSTUART Re: Light Bulb Rant - 02/22/17
Originally Posted by Rooster7

The spiral shaped LED lights suck ass.

I found some 100 watt LED's that are shaped like normal light bulbs that I'm going to try in the garage however. They're expensive but "supposed" to last 10 years. So we'll see.

**Edit**

I think the spiral bulbs are fluorescent not LED. My bad.

I had about thirty of them given to me and in my opinion they are rubbish...but being a miserable bastard I am using them anyway.

At work they replaced a couple of Fluoro (tubes) with LED sheets and they are absolutely brilliant, and as soon as I can corner my favourites electrician I shall have same installed in the back living area.
Posted By: Raeford Re: Light Bulb Rant - 02/22/17
I am getting the 40 & 60 watt[comparable] LED's that look like standard incandescent bulbs at Lowes/HD for $2-3 ea.
Posted By: joken2 Re: Light Bulb Rant - 02/22/17
We have several ceiling fans which all use, unfortunately, candelabra base bulbs. LED candelabra bulbs don't put out enough light. 60w incand bulbs are rated at nearly 800 lumens and I've never found LED's brighter than 550 even though they're rated at 60w equivalent. If you've ever seen 75w LED's with the small bases, please tell me where.

Come to think of it I can't recall ever seeing even incandescent decorative light bulbs with a small bases rated any higher than 60 watts.

As to the lumen ratings of medium base incandescent vs LED, Walmart advertises at least one of their store branded 60 watt equiv. LED bulbs at 800 lumens output. Whether it's just advertising hype or not, I don't know.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Great-Va...UB&visitor_id=beWP4Z5fxv1VOPa5_BEXlo

Posted By: Heym06 Re: Light Bulb Rant - 02/22/17
I have been putting led bulbs in the house as the old bulbs burnt out. I use the bright white style. Purchased two packs at Bi-Mart on sale for $1.99. The outside porch light worked all winter at temperature's to -17F. I found a shop that sell LED lights and converted the shop from four foot tubes, to four foot led. Brighter no lag coming on and use 10% of the power. Ten bucks for the fixture and ten bucks for the bulb. Eighty bucks and my garage has never been so bright.
Posted By: nighthawk Re: Light Bulb Rant - 02/22/17
But LEDs do have a cold weather problem. Just check the specifications before you buy if you intend to use LED bulbs outside in cold climate. -22° F is fine for most people, but if you need -40° F you may be out of luck.
Feit for one makes a -40 LED bulb. Feit

Actually it's the electronics that drive the LED that get the temp spec. Personally I'd try what's available and see if it worked unless it was a PITA if it didn't. Components and circuits are spec'd at guaranteed, not typical.
Posted By: Hotload Re: Light Bulb Rant - 02/22/17

+1
Originally Posted by nighthawk
Feit for one makes a -40 LED bulb. Feit

Actually it's the electronics that drive the LED that get the temp spec. Personally I'd try what's available and see if it worked unless it was a PITA if it didn't. Components and circuits are spec'd at guaranteed, not typical.

Actually, I'm pushing the temperature limit on the high end by experimenting with them in fully enclosed fixtures, which is something many brands tell you not to do. In the worst case I've burned out two LED bulbs with less total hours on them than you would get from one conventional incandescent bulb. The current bulb is rated for 120° F, but I expect it's engineered with some headroom, so maybe 130° F. We'll see...
Posted By: hanco Re: Light Bulb Rant - 02/22/17
I have a bunch of 100 watt bulbs hid out too
Posted By: nighthawk Re: Light Bulb Rant - 02/22/17
Actually, I'm pushing the temperature limit on the high end by experimenting with them in fully enclosed fixtures, which is something many brands tell you not to do. In the worst case I've burned out two LED bulbs with less total hours on them than you would get from one conventional incandescent bulb. The current bulb is rated for 120° F, but I expect it's engineered with some headroom, so maybe 130° F. We'll see...

Heat will ruin the LED elements themselves primarily through ion migration, which is normal, but heat speeds up the process exponentially. There are other factors but one thing to keep in mind is that LED elements are sorted by efficiency. To meet x lumen output requirements you have to drive the inefficient LEDs harder which produces more heat on the chip. They get sold off to make the cheapest bulbs.
© 24hourcampfire