Home
Going to be in Vegas in a couple of weeks and was thinking about checking out the Kingman area. Anybody live near there willing to share their thoughts? The Sacramento idiocy is getting so bad we may need to move to America!
Beware of land scams. They are out there in that area.

Lots of land for sale out there. Cheap.

But you don't have a prayer of getting water or electricity to those places unless you are rich.

Make sure infrastructure is in place already. Promises don't count for much.

In which case, you wouldn't be looking at those places in the first place. wink

Beware of unlicensed "professionals" too.
Not a bad little town. Good airport. I think they do airliner refurb work there. Pretty fair golf course. Home of Andy Devine, and on Route 66. Hunting and fishing.
Lifelong resident of central arizona. comments on kingman?
hot, windy, dusty in the summer.
cold, windy, dusty in the winter.
Where the guy that did the oklahoma bombing livd for a while.
lots of miniranchettes on the outskirts sold to california people, water power huge issue.
Mainly known in the past as a santa fe town, on the main line.
I spent a couple of miserable summers working for the highway department painting buildings up there.
Having said that, not to far to the north, are some rolling junipers. Guy i know bought a home in there, private wells, swimming pool, gun range out of his garage. You need to look around.
Last summer i had to run up to vegas. That area from kingman over to the river is what i think the world would look like after a nuke went off. Bunch of goobers in some ramshackle subdivisions up there.
I asked a girl at a quikstop on the freeway about them.
she said how would i know, i don't associate with them. Them being maybe a mile away.Kingman after WWII is where thosands of WWII planes ended up to be cut up.
Having said all of that, it is not to far up to the "strip" country north of the canyon, and the colorado is close plus the lakes. Best part, it ain't in california.
another spot you might consider is mesquite, nevada. only couple hrs from vegas, s.e. part of the state, close to st. georg utah. The virgin river, mormons have a sense of humor, lots of parks, etc. and close to the strip area. strip meaning arizona strip.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mesquite,_Nevada
Kingman - high desert about 50 miles E. of the Colorado River. Former RR town and only major location on Interstate 40 between Flagstaff, AZ and Barstow, CA. Has grown rather steadily for 40 years due to development of local small industry, retirees, I40 traffic and decent climate compared to much of US. Jumping off point to Las Vegas, NV to the north and Colorado River towns to the south.

Limited good hunting in the Hualapai Mts. SE of town, better hunting further into AZ, fishing/boating on the Colorado, good flying weather.

Interesting old mining sites in the area and one or two "failed developments" somewhat distant from town. Nice area for motorcycle riding, flying, hiking, etc..
Mesquite, NV is a nice little town but it may not be in the America you are looking for. Nevada is now a blue state.
Unfortunately we've been invaded by both illegals and Cali. refugees who bring the liberal attitude with them.
Kingman's a dump, primarily famous for exploding railroad cars that periodically level the entire town. The "Fan Belt Capital of the World."

The only place more depressing than Kingman is Golden Valley, to the north.
If I was headed that direction I'd be more inclined to go down the road to Williams - Williams area.
I drove through there once
Kingman is (or at least was) home to lots of meth cookers and survivalist nutballs. I was only there a couple times while I lived in Az and I was not impressed at all.

They liked it because there was lots of desolate "end-of-the-road" type areas where you could see the law coming for miles.
Many, many wonderful places to explore in Arizona and maybe move there. Kingman aint one of them, IMHO.
Go take a look yourself, ask locals that look like folks you wouldn't mind being your neighbor.
Never lived there but have spent a lot of time along that Colorado river. Always thought Kingman was somewhere I might be interested in. Just to look, it was a lot nicer area of the world than Blythe or Yuma.

Have a cousin that lives out of town, she likes it fine.

The last time we took the Harley to Laughlin for a week to escape the winter here in Idaho, I talked to a younger, 30's maybe, nice couple from the upper midwest, that had lived in Kingman a few years and loved it.
well one time i was standing on the corner in kingman az...

oh wait that was winslow. my bad.
If there is any 'charm' to Kingman, best to let it wear off before parting with anything significant. Like, say, over $100.

Williams, OTOH ...

Unless you SEE water coming out of a spigot, and an electrical device under power, do not believe they are available. If you're willing to live adventurously, meaning off-grid, lots of opportunity there.

Blacktail hunting you will not find.
Not a bad place at all. Halfway between Las Vegas and Flagstaff for urban amenities, the Grand Canyon isn't too shabby and anyone who loves the outdoors will tune in quickly. Assuming you are not a moron you will be able to find great values in homes or properties. If anyone tells you that you will need a dinosaur egg run like hell.

The State of Arizona, away from the border or Phoenix. is one of the most liveable places in the country. Study the weather info and choose what you like.

mike r
Known by anyone in Fire services. Home of a Bleve. Hasbeen
Good quail hunting and few if any decent places to eat out.
Some of the state's best meth labs are there.
Went through there a few years ago and spent the afternoon there while our trailer was getting some repairs. Not a town I would willingly move to.
In 1986 there was an adobe' motel that had a cafe' next door with the best honey fried chicken that I ever tasted. That's all I remember.
LOL, I thought this was going to be a call out thread.......
not sure there are too many jobs. biggish newish hospital, lots of retirees, maybe lots of unemployed/disability types too.

close to lots of desert, if you like hiking, etc. darned hot in summer.

I do know a gent who moved there for the quail hunting.

Sycamore
Thanks for the replies and insight. If we get bored in Vegas we may cruise up there and check it out. Went through Mesquite a couple of years ago and it looked interesting but again, have no interest to move from one blue state to another. This Commiefornia stuff is contagious. Already seen it get Oregon and Washington.
I hate to tell you this, but California expats are turning much of the West a distinct shade of purple, if not full blue. Whyinhell people try to escape something and then recreate it wherever they land is beyond me, but they seem to do just that.
I think Minnesota is almost as bad as California in regards to politics.
It has to be damn close.
Originally Posted by whelennut
I think Minnesota is almost as bad as California in regards to politics.

I just wish it was you cool Minnesotans moving to Texas instead of the ones we've got.
© 24hourcampfire