Home
Posted By: Leonten I couldn't sleep last night. - 02/24/17
So I came to the living room, turned the TV on, lower the sound and kept the room dark. After a few minutes I hear a noise coming out of the kitchen. So I get up and investigate. The noise was coming from under the sink...mice! But I wasn't sure it was a mouse so I set a rat trap. Two Mouse traps and some poison. This morning I checked and some of the poison has been eaten. But the traps were not touched.
Posted By: 4ager Re: I couldn't sleep last night. - 02/24/17
Have fun with the smell.
exactly what I was think as well he lives and exciting life
No smell, it's a slow acting poison. After the eat the poison they go back under the house then they die. Been doing that for over 50 years.
Posted By: 4ager Re: I couldn't sleep last night. - 02/24/17
Originally Posted by Leonten
No smell it's a slow acting poison. After the eat the poison they go back under the house then they die.

Exactly. And, that's when you get the smell.
Those cats you killed, were probably doing a hell of a job keeping the rodent population in check.....welcome to the real world.
What's scary is that he's probably the bright one his neighborhood.
Jeezlus, you jackwagons never use mouse poison?

Maybe you get your girlfriends to kill the mice.

God damn if I had mice for 50 years I would be doing something different!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Nope, I never use poison, but I have used your girlfriend to kill mice.
Oh.....you city folk are funny.

I remember that. She said you were on the table screeching.
Oh.....you city folk are funny.

I remember that. She said you were on the table screeching.

She said it wasn't anywhere near the screaming you do when she's pegging you.

City folks, yeah that's me.
Originally Posted by mohick
God damn if I had mice for 50 years I would be doing something different!!!!!!!!!!!!!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How many paint chips from the old house do you think you ate ?

And stop using the Lords name in vain you fool .
She is very gentle.
Originally Posted by 4ager
No smell it's a slow acting poison. After the eat the poison they go back under the house then they die.

Exactly. And, that's when you get the smell.

Or into the walls or in the attic.
We poison the sheit out of them up here.

Build little Mouse Hotels out of old margarine tubs, poison inside, and place them in all the outfits.

Never have a problem.
Originally Posted by rost495
Those cats you killed, were probably doing a hell of a job keeping the rodent population in check.....welcome to the real world.

Lol, and this year they made the real mouse poison illegal here...so it's the treehugger slow death stuff only from here on out.
Well then they die somewhere else.
Posted By: hanco Re: I couldn't sleep last night. - 02/24/17
Poison works well, makes them dry up
I go through about two five gallon pails of mouse poison a year in and around the seed storage barns. I never use it in the house because it does make a horrific smell.
[Linked Image]
We do not have a mouse/ rat infestation. Perhaps once or twice a year we catch a mouse. That's been happening over the last 50 years.
Rather than a pail of water, I got a 12lb pail of this, for use in bait stations around the "barn":

MOTOMCO D 31402 Jaguar Rodenticide.

It's brodifacoum, a single-feed killer, and it's absolutely phucqking them up. They like it, but not for long. From the past few months experience, I'd say it kills them before they set up a home. Zero problems and darn little sign. Twelve pounds is a ridiculous amount but it keeps the EPA happy I guess.
Put up with it for a few years in old house till i could build a new one, impervious one mouse in 15 years, and it came in , in a box of apples. won't tolerate disease ridden scurge, sorry about the language just my way
For me, poison is a last resort. Besides my dogs possibly getting hold of a poisoned rodent, or rolling on a dead one, there's always the raptors to think about. I'm not a "greenie" and ain't really against poisons, I just choose not to use them except as a last resort.
One thing I found out is you don't want to shoot them with a.357 mag bird shot at 1 AM inside your tent. BTDT
Posted By: CCCC Re: I couldn't sleep last night. - 02/24/17
- - I hear a noise coming out of the kitchen. So I get up and investigate - - from under the sink...mice! But I wasn't sure it was a mouse so I set a rat trap. Two Mouse traps and some poison. This morning I checked and some of the poison has been eaten. But the traps were not touched.

Does your wife ever go under the sink - and how is she feeling today?

The poison I use is Tomcat. If it puts out any fumes I cannot tell. It is poison so I am careful about handling it.
We are in the country. You always have rodents out here. No matter how you are built. If you don't, you are lying to yourself.

We keep a few barn cats around, and don't kill every last predator we see. Not even every snake.

We keep a handful of traps on hand and the few times we've had to deal with mice the traps get em every time. Even keep them thinned out in the barn with the corn and bird food etc....

Poison will work but as others note, we use it as a last resort.
it ain't rocket science! 2 ft tall foundation 3 in some places, slick concrete , steel thasholds,steel doors. as I say no possible way in like I say 1 in 15 years came in, in, a box of apples!!
I just looked under the sink and saw the mouse. It was chewing the poison. As I said before it's very slow acting.
Originally Posted by Middlefork_Miner
[Linked Image]

Diabolical. Makes you appreciate being human.
Originally Posted by 5thShock
Originally Posted by Middlefork_Miner
[Linked Image]

Diabolical. Makes you appreciate being human.

He is giving them a swimming test. So far they all have failed.
Roof rats are what we have around here. There's three subspecies of the Black Rat; black, grey and brown and we have the grey subspecies. The subspecies name of the grey subspecies is "frugivorous" and they really do show up in numbers if you have orange trees.

They go through boom and bust cycles on my side of town and true to the name, really do go up high in buildings and houses, you hear 'em up in the roof.

One time, years ago I was teaching class and I saw a roof rat in the back corner, against the wall, the kids hadn't seen it yet. I kept on teaching.

Then the rat walks up to the front corner of the classroom against the wall, kids still ain't noticed, I kept on teaching.

There was a meter stick leaning up against the chalk ledge at the bottom of the board (ha! chalk! Thats how long ago this was.) As I stopped and watched the rat walks up to the meter stick, climbs it,and proceeds to walk across the chalk ledge in front of the blackboard.

I look at the kids and they are all tense and wild-eyed, like nervous horses about to panic. One trigger from me and it'd have been chaos. I look down at the rat as it passes and said "Henry, I told you never to come here when I'm teaching.".

At the other side of the board was the electric chord that went up to the TV mounted at the ceiling. The rat went up the chord, climbed the TV and the mount, and disappeared through a small opening they had chewed in the ceiling tile next to the TV mount.

Then I went on teaching, and the kids went back to work. Might be my finest moment ever as a teacher. I set snap traps that night and caught two.

Teaching the classroom next door was a cranky, heavyset lady who caused me no end of problems. A few weeks later I hear pandemonium from her classroom, and a high keening like from a predator call....

"EEEEEEEEEE!!!....... EEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!"

I go over and there's that teacher lady screaming and standing on a chair.... grin

To indicate just how long that was ago, I'm currently teaching a kid of a couple of the kids who were in that classroom that day, they still remember the rat too.

Birdwatcher

Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Roof rats are what we have around here. There's three subspecies of the Black Rat; black, grey and brown and we have the grey subspecies. The subspecies name of the grey subspecies is "frugivorous" and they really do show up in numbers if you have orange trees.

They go through boom and bust cycles on my side of town and true to the name, really do go up high in buildings and houses, you hear 'em up in the roof.

One time, years ago I was teaching class and I saw a roof rat in the back corner, against the wall, the kids hadn't seen it yet. I kept on teaching.

Then the rat walks up to the front corner of the classroom against the wall, kids still ain't noticed, I kept on teaching.

There was a meter stick leaning up against the chalk ledge at the bottom of the board (ha! chalk! Thats how long ago this was.) As I stopped and watched the rat walks up to the meter stick, climbs it,and proceeds to walk across the chalk ledge in front of the blackboard.

I look at the kids and they are all tense and wild-eyed, like nervous horses about to panic. One trigger from me and it'd have been chaos. I look down at the rat as it passes and said "Henry, I told you never to come here when I'm teaching.".

At the other side of the board was the electric chord that went up to the TV mounted at the ceiling. The rat went up the chord, climbed the TV and the mount, and disappeared through a small opening they had chewed in the ceiling tile next to the TV mount.

Then I went on teaching, and the kids went back to work. Might be my finest moment ever as a teacher. I set snap traps that night and caught two.

Teaching the classroom next door was a cranky, heavyset lady who caused me no end of problems. A few weeks later I hear pandemonium from her classroom, and a high keening like from a predator call....

"EEEEEEEEEE!!!....... EEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!"

I go over and there's that teacher lady screaming and standing on a chair.... grin

To indicate just how long that was ago, I'm currently teaching a kid of a couple of the kids who were in that classroom that day, they still remember the rat too.

Birdwatcher

I've sat and watched a ordinary field mouse shinny straight up chain link fence material like a ladder with no problem to get to the top of a 55 gal trash drum where workers threw left over lunch and snack scraps.

I checked under the sink this morning, poison untouched, traps not sprung. I think I got him.
Originally Posted by Steelhead

Nope, I never use poison, but I have used your girlfriend to kill mice.
How do you kill them with a girlfriend? I'm thinking she must be a skinny thing so you grab her by the ankles and swat the mouse with her?
Poison was move this morning, he's still lurking around.
Leonten: Use peanut butter in the mouse trap.
I prefer not to use mouse "poison" anymore because it really isn't poison (it SLOWLY disrupts the mouse's digestive processes) and they haul it away in large amounts until they die and start smelling and they leave a stash of poison that they have stored up - mess in other words.
Be patient the peanut butter WILL get their little necks broken soon enough.
Put the peanut butter on top of the trigger platform AND on the bottom of it as well - this will get'em.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Under the bathroom sink this morning; a Texas Roof Rat...

[Linked Image]

AKA one of three subspecies of the Black Rat (Rattus rattus fruguvorous)

I first knew of it when the sink leaked from underneath, the fugger had chewed into the accordion section of the sink drain pipe to get to the water in the trap.

Took about a few days, I left a trap under there baited with a section of orange. I'd been hearing it in the attic, and the dogs had been reacting to it in different parts of the house.

They can be hard to trap, peanut butter usually doesn't work on 'em IME. Currently they are increasing in Phoenix, in association with homes that have fruit trees on the property, hence my choice of bait.

I'd never use poison in 100 years, we had a classroom at school stink for the better part of a year after the teacher or someone put out poison. Not much ya can do when the walls are a double layer of brick.

Birdwatcher
They can definitely swim but cannot swim indefinitely.
Originally Posted by Steelhead
What's scary is that he's probably the bright one his neighborhood.

Well.....he lives in CA so...yea...
© 24hourcampfire