Home
Posted By: wabigoon Organ Donor? - 02/27/17
The thread on funerals has me thinking about organ donors.

Are you on as a donor? Or, why not?
Posted By: BeanMan Re: Organ Donor? - 02/27/17
yes I am an organ donor, I have further use for my body after life.
Posted By: Snake River Marksman Re: Organ Donor? - 02/27/17
I'm a donor
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Organ Donor? - 02/27/17
Yep. A girls heart gave one of the best hunters, patriot, conservative, a great shot and best hunting bud an extra 13 years.
Posted By: LRoyJetson Re: Organ Donor? - 02/27/17
yup, like everything else I have,if I'm not using it, you're welcome to it.
Posted By: deflave Re: Organ Donor? - 02/27/17
No.

The risk of saving somebody I don't like is too great.

Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Organ Donor? - 02/27/17
Yes.
Posted By: AnsonRogers Re: Organ Donor? - 02/27/17
Originally Posted by deflave
No.

That's funny! I hadn't thought of that. I'm a donor. First come, first served. A lot of the parts will be worn out. Some are close to it now, I think.
Posted By: SockPuppet Re: Organ Donor? - 02/27/17
Yep.
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: Organ Donor? - 02/27/17
Wabigoon: Yes I am and have been for 30+ years now - luckily I am still above ground to enjoy my eyes and organs to the fullest.
I have to wonder if it is not selfish for anyone NOT to donate their organs should their life end?
I mean what good would you those kidneys do you in your grave?
When they could save the lives of two folks who desperately need them!
yeah "I" am an organ donor and proud of it.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: BGunn Re: Organ Donor? - 02/27/17
I got a liver transplant 11 years ago...

All this time I thought it was deflave's frown

My parts are pretty worn out, but I'm on the donors list.
Posted By: Snake River Marksman Re: Organ Donor? - 02/27/17
VarmintGuy,
Some folks have religious objections to Organ Donation. They believe that "desecrating" the body will keep you from heaven or that you go to heaven with whatever you die with.
Posted By: Wyogal Re: Organ Donor? - 02/27/17
Organ donor, yes. I'm guessing though, all my parts will be pretty worn out by then. But they're welcome to pick through 'em, see what they can use, before I get baked to a flake.
Posted By: ro1459 Re: Organ Donor? - 02/27/17
Yes. Every member of my family is as well.
Posted By: Dutch Re: Organ Donor? - 02/27/17
yup, send me to the chop-shop at your convenience.
Posted By: Scott F Re: Organ Donor? - 02/27/17
Originally Posted by wabigoon

Yes, because I won't need them any more.
Posted By: jnyork Re: Organ Donor? - 02/27/17
Yes, of course. Whatever is left that's usable can be had for free. grin

My friend is a retired Oregon State Trooper that has investigated hundreds if not thousands of collisions and other accidents out on the highway in his 30+ years with the department. If we are driving down the road and he sees someone riding a motorcycle without a helmet he always comments "There goes another organ doner".
Posted By: mohick Re: Organ Donor? - 02/27/17
Hope iv'e used em all up before i cash out, nothing left to salvage!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: T_O_M Re: Organ Donor? - 02/27/17
Yep, but you're going to have to fight the bears to get them. smile

Tom
Posted By: Simoneaud Re: Organ Donor? - 02/27/17
yep, Donor
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Organ Donor? - 02/27/17
Yup, but it's not on my license, my family has directions on what to do were I too have any good usable parts left, those in need are certainly most welcome to them.

A Buddy already wants my damn eyes, I told him you can have em when I'm done with em!
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Organ Donor? - 02/27/17
I'm a 21-gallon blood donor, was on the bone marrow list (I'm now past the acceptable age) and have DONOR on my driver's license. So, yeah.

Posted By: SKane Re: Organ Donor? - 02/27/17
Heck yes.
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Wabigoon: Yes I am and have been for 30+ years now - luckily I am still above ground to enjoy my eyes and organs to the fullest.
I have to wonder if it is not selfish for anyone NOT to donate their organs should their life end?
I mean what good would you those kidneys do you in your grave?
When they could save the lives of two folks who desperately need them!
yeah "I" am an organ donor and proud of it.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Go sit in a DMV or a Wal-Mart and tell me how many people you encounter that you'd like to see kept alive.

Clark
Posted By: mohick Re: Organ Donor? - 02/27/17
Amen flave that's enough to make one flip flop in the grave right there
Posted By: AKA_Spook Re: Organ Donor? - 02/27/17
No.

I hadnt thought of this until seeing it print, and after seeing it I'm revoking my organs/eyes going anywhere. Fuggem'
Posted By: Gun_Geezer Re: Organ Donor? - 02/27/17
Yes. I received the liver of 32-year old angle I never met. I'm alive 4+ extr years now still being a dad to my kids, husband to my wife, and son to my Mom.

God bless all those who give.
Posted By: Remington6MM Re: Organ Donor? - 02/27/17
Donar. Don't care who get the parts. I just don't hate anybody enough to deny them these worn out parts.
Posted By: MagMarc Re: Organ Donor? - 02/27/17
Yep!
Originally Posted by AKA_Spook
No.

I hadnt thought of this until seeing it print, and after seeing it I'm revoking my organs/eyes going anywhere. Fuggem'

A-holes unite!
Posted By: CrowRifle Re: Organ Donor? - 02/27/17
I have an organ I try to donate as often as possible.
Does it rhyme with COCK???
Posted By: hanco Re: Organ Donor? - 02/27/17
Yes but my parts are getting a little old!!
Posted By: centershot Re: Organ Donor? - 02/27/17
While being an organ donor sounds very noble and can be great for the recipient it can also be a terrible burden on the family of the donor. My cousin was terminally injured in a car accident, the doctors keep him 'alive' until a recipient was ready. That was several days of hell, the hope that he may come out of the induced coma and survive was torture on the family. Something to consider.
Posted By: las Re: Organ Donor? - 02/27/17
Yes, but there was no category "Not to Democrat". Guess I'll have to chance it. Joke will be on them- I'm not planning on leaving anything good. smile
Posted By: WV_Airedale Re: Organ Donor? - 02/27/17
Yes I am
Posted By: las Re: Organ Donor? - 02/27/17
Originally Posted by centershot
While being an organ donor sounds very noble and can be great for the recipient it can also be a terrible burden on the family of the donor. My cousin was terminally injured in a car accident, the doctors keep him 'alive' until a recipient was ready. That was several days of hell, the hope that he may come out of the induced coma and survive was torture on the family. Something to consider.

I've considered. Not a factor. Already dead, not "alive".. Let go, already.
Posted By: AH64guy Re: Organ Donor? - 02/27/17
Yes - I've kept mine so far, but a good friend passed two weeks ago unexpectedly.

Per his wishes, at least two people were helped regain their sight by his donation.
Posted By: Idaho_Shooter Re: Organ Donor? - 02/27/17

Have not seen it myself, but have heard stories about "Not even enough left over for hhe family to bury".

If the left overs are headed for the incinerator anyway, it probably makes little difference. Some families place great store in viewings and open casket funerals.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Organ Donor? - 02/27/17
It's a noble thing. Your family will not be impressed with how you/they are treated. The donor/family are treated like a car in the scrap yard. Hopefully others have had better experiences.
Posted By: CrowRifle Re: Organ Donor? - 02/27/17
Does it rhyme with COCK???

Nah, that's Father Vinny. My wing-man is Big Jim and his twins.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Organ Donor? - 02/27/17
And, thus endeth the sermon for today.
Organ donation is really pretty creepy IMO. Imagine being like a hot 22 year old and getting my heart. Wouldn't there be some sort of wiring issue there?

I would consider it if I knew I was dying. Maybe if I could do interviews or auditions or something.

But then once I got a suitable candidate, I'm just going to sign away my eyeballs or whatever? I mean, this is my body. My temple. Not a fugkin' soup kitchen. I'm gonna need some form of payment.

Lots to consider IMO.

Dave
It is a personal thing for sure.

Like the peak of a market, they don't ring a bell just in time. Death can come like a thief in the night.

Do as you see best.
Posted By: Mathsr Re: Organ Donor? - 02/27/17
I'm a donor. I've had two friends that received hearts and one that received lungs. It added years to their lives. It wasn't easy for them, but it was good.
If I can help out someone that needs some used parts after I'm through with them, I'm all for it. I hope that it helps them live long and happy lives.
Posted By: TxHunter80 Re: Organ Donor? - 02/27/17
Yep, I won't have a need for any of it anymore. I hope somebody can get some use out of it. I looked into donating it all to science but the better half thought that was a little much. After having to pay for a parent's funeral, I'd be ok being bagged up and taken to the dump.
Posted By: kingston Re: Organ Donor? - 02/27/17
Organ donation is really pretty creepy IMO. Imagine being like a hot 22 year old and getting my heart. Wouldn't there be some sort of wiring issue there?

I would consider it if I knew I was dying. Maybe if I could do interviews or auditions or something.

But then once I got a suitable candidate, I'm just going to sign away my eyeballs or whatever? I mean, this is my body. My temple. Not a fugkin' soup kitchen. I'm gonna need some form of payment.

Lots to consider IMO.

Dave

Sometimes I'd swear you and Gus were the same person.
Do you get to sign over certain things? Or is just a yes or no type situation?

They just take everything, or can you narrow it down to just a kidney or something real specific?

Dave
Originally Posted by kingston

He must have a big organ.

Clark
Posted By: joken2 Re: Organ Donor? - 02/27/17
No.

A-holes unite!

You never know,... something of yours could wind up inside of a needy desperate late middle aged insurance/annuity salesman's body allowing him more good years of hustling gun deals, riding hot rod motor cycles, and singing in Gospel groups.

shocked whistle wink
Posted By: rost495 Re: Organ Donor? - 02/27/17
Yes on organs. Why not? Blood, i've not given so much of that, but I do try to donate that as often as I can regardless.
Originally Posted by Gun_Geezer
Yes. I received the liver of 32-year old angle I never met. I'm alive 4+ extr years now still being a dad to my kids, husband to my wife, and son to my Mom.

There's a happy recipient right here, very glad you're still with us Gun Geezer. wink
Posted By: Aqualung Re: Organ Donor? - 02/27/17
I am.

Salvage all you can and drag the rest out in the woods for the buzzard, foxes and coyotes...

Aqualung
Originally Posted by Aqualung
I am.

Salvage all you can and drag the rest out in the woods for the buzzard, foxes and coyotes...

Aqualung

That's pretty much my take as well.

They just take everything, or can you narrow it down to just a kidney or something real specific?

Dave

I see where this is going. Yes, you can specify "liver only".
Posted By: NDsnowman Re: Organ Donor? - 02/27/17
Yes, I am. I have seen the great things that organ donation can do, hopefully I can help someone to live a fuller life after I am gone.
Posted By: River_Ridge Re: Organ Donor? - 02/27/17
I am, I've been signed up for many years. My father in- law was the recipient of a new heart on October 20, 2010 from an angel from Ohio. There's no telling how many others were saved by that same person's generosity.

Another thing to consider is donating your body to science. In my father in-law's case the place that receives his body will pay all the funeral & burial expenses.
Posted By: EdM Re: Organ Donor? - 02/27/17

Yep. Wife and son's as well. Wife and my plans are also detailed in our trust.
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Organ Donor? - 02/27/17
I've donated my organ many a time.
Originally Posted by SamOlson
I've donated my organ many a time.

Don't count when ya take it back. laugh
Posted By: Dale K Re: Organ Donor? - 02/27/17
I am a donor. My wife Grace was, she died about 2 years ago at age 52. Her corneas gave sight to 2 women in their 60's. I like to think that they are enjoying the sight of their grandkids as much as Grace enjoyed ours.

The organ donation center in Pittsburgh (https://www.core.org/) was great to work with, very caring, supportive, and respectful. Although Grace was cremated, we could have had an open casket after they were done. They have an annual gathering and lunch for the families of that years donors to say thank you. Some of the recipients and families are there. Sometimes it's as simple as replacement tendons in a shoulder, sometimes it's as major as a new heart for a small child. And they do a memorial photo presentation during lunch, there was not a dry eye in the house. Kind of teary eyed here now too.

As to worn out parts, they do ask health questions, Grace had diabetes, low kidney function, COPD, a heart attack and some other issues but they were still able to harvest the corneas, skin, tendons, and bone. With the bone, Grace came full circle, she had neck surgery and they used cadaver bone on her. Just seems right that they were able to get bone from her for someone else.

Finally, make sure your driver license or other ID indicates that you're a donor, your family may not remember. I know I completely forgot until the hospital staff mentioned it after she died that morning.

Dale
Posted By: 378Canuck Re: Organ Donor? - 02/27/17
Nurse Jackie makes every young person a donor, I saw it on Netflix.
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Organ Donor? - 02/27/17
Originally Posted by kingston

He must have a big organ.

Clark

Our Captains name was Morgan,
By gawd he had a gorgon,
Ten times a day,
He would stop and play,
With his reproductive organ!
Posted By: lightman Re: Organ Donor? - 02/27/17
Yeah, I'm signed up to be a donor. My Wife has been able to enjoy our Grandchildren because some generous person donated a liver. I would like to pay it forward.

Actually, I joined the Campfire while we were in the hospital. During the long hours of sitting around in the room I began playing around on her computer.
Posted By: BGunn Re: Organ Donor? - 02/27/17
Originally Posted by lightman

Actually, I joined the Campfire while we were in the hospital. During the long hours of sitting around in the room I began playing around on her computer.

That's exactly how I got here.....
Spent 3.5 years on the list, and 2 years bed ridden before and after the operation.
Something I often think of. I had a loaded .357 in the next room, and never had the slightest thought of "ending it all".
Two years in bed is a LONG time.....
Good stories for the most part folks, I talked to a man just an hour, or two ago that has needed two liver transplants.

My 55 year old cousin died of a heart attack years ago.
It took days, skin, long bones, a bit grizzly, but think about how many lives he made longer, and better.
Posted By: JBARTRAM Re: Organ Donor? - 02/27/17
I'm a donor. That being said, there should be a legal mechanism by which people can sell the rights to their organs while alive. Kind of like a reverse mortgage.

People would take better care of themselves if for example, their blood work indicated their internals were worth say 100k vs 10k.

Posted By: AKA_Spook Re: Organ Donor? - 02/28/17
Originally Posted by joken2
No.

A-holes unite!

You never know,... something of yours could wind up inside of a needy desperate late middle aged insurance/annuity salesman's body allowing him more good years of hustling gun deals, riding hot rod motor cycles, and singing in Gospel groups.

shocked whistle wink

..then again if my innards ended up in nan pelosi or suck's schumer , I'd spend eternity spinning in my grave, or urn ?

til there's a way to specify who gets my guts , I'm stayin' intact , fuggem'
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: Organ Donor? - 02/28/17

No. EMS and ER doctors that know 1) you're an organ donor, and 2) that there is a child who desperately needs your organs, could not help but be psychologically impacted such that he will quit sooner in revival efforts if your heart has stopped. Also, organ removal is done while the donor is alive, and that without any efforts at pain control, under the assumption that the donor, being "legally dead," is incapable of feeling pain, which may or may not be true in all cases.
Posted By: byc Re: Organ Donor? - 02/28/17
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

No. EMS and ER doctors that know 1) you're an organ donor, and 2) that there is a child who desperately needs your organs, could not help but be psychologically impacted such that he will quit sooner in revival efforts if your heart has stopped. Also, organ removal is done while the donor is alive, and that without any efforts at pain control, under the assumption that the donor, being "legally dead," is incapable of feeling pain, which may or may not be true in all cases.

hmmm…are you sure about that?? For all organs? Liver and kidney can be and I agree but all others?
Posted By: Cigar Re: Organ Donor? - 02/28/17
Yes
Posted By: bea175 Re: Organ Donor? - 02/28/17
Nobody would want my organs. I'm at the moment in the process of being put on the Heart Transplant list at Vanderbilt.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Organ Donor? - 02/28/17
Again, we could use DocRocket now.

If they take the heart first, how much longer could a body live?

Quiet a while if on a bypass pump
Posted By: centershot Re: Organ Donor? - 02/28/17
Originally Posted by las

I've considered. Not a factor. Already dead, not "alive".. Let go, already.

Tell that to the parents and wife of a healthy 20yr old young man recently married with a 1 yr old little girl, one year left before his degree. Other than his head wrapped with a bandage he looked like he would jump up and go for a bike ride. Not nearly as easy as you suggest......
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Organ Donor? - 02/28/17

Lots to consider IMO.

Dave

They dont graft in black hearts. smile

So, part of your cousin still lives.
Originally Posted by Gun_Geezer

Now that angle was a real angel.
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: Organ Donor? - 02/28/17
Originally Posted by bea175

Quiet a while if on a bypass pump
Best of luck to you.
will see how it goes if it ever happens, thanks
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Organ Donor? - 02/28/17
I read this thread and patiently waited for TRH's reply.

It didn't disappoint. Lol.
Posted By: camdog Re: Organ Donor? - 02/28/17

Yes. I have been signed up for many years and hope that my organs will be a help to others.

In heaven, I will be given a new and better body, so I have no need for my old body.
Posted By: Bootsfishing Re: Organ Donor? - 02/28/17
I'll just leave this here...

Posted By: kingston Re: Organ Donor? - 02/28/17
There's hope for us yet!
Posted By: Orion2000 Re: Organ Donor? - 02/28/17
This...

And this...
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
It's a noble thing. Your family will not be impressed with how you/they are treated. The donor/family are treated like a car in the scrap yard. Hopefully others have had better experiences.

A friend's son had a motorcycle accident several years ago. Significant head trauma. Brain dead shortly after the accident. Mid 20's. Excellent health and physical condition. No "Donor" sticker on his license. However, he had "checked a box" on his license renewal form three years prior. It turned into a goat rodeo. The very first meeting my friend and his wife had with the doctors at the hospital, the doctors started dictating what THEY (the doctors) were going to do, and how THEY (the doctors) were going to manage my friend's son for maximum organ harvest. All about the doctors, and extracting the organs. Zero empathy or emotional support for my friend and his wife. When my friend started to question the doctors, the doctors basically shut him down and told him that he did not have any say. Treated his son's body like their own little piece of property that they would turn over when they were good and ready.

Needless to say, went to court. Guaranteed the lowest 3 days of my friends life. He and his wife went thru (and are still going thru) HELL over the situation. The organ harvest finally prevailed after two appearances in court. One piece of insight did come from the court proceedings. Under oath, the family's attorney asked the doctor responsible for overseeing the organ harvest if HE was an organ donor ? ... He refused to answer. The family's attorney then asked the doctor responsible for the harvest if HIS children were organ donors ? ... Again, he refused to answer. Really sad situation that no grieving family should have to face.

Having said all that, YES, I am an organ donor and my wife is also a donor. However, going in with eyes wide open that while it might be the "noble" thing to do, it will not necessarily be pleasant for the survivors...
Posted By: 378Canuck Re: Organ Donor? - 02/28/17
I've met only one man who had liver transplant. He was a drunk all his life, divorce abandon kids the works. They gave him another liver after he destroyed his from alcohol. He can't drink anymore cause of anti-rejection drugs. Fair system, your call. I figured other more deserving people on the wait list should have been served, yeah I know about the organ match BS, still?
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Organ Donor? - 03/01/17
A few years ago the number of people on waiting lists were at 85,000 and growing.

A donor can save up to 8 lives and contribute 52 parts.

A person on the list dies every 15 min and one goes on it every 13 min.

It would be nice to be able to restrict your organs to conservatives and no druggies.
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Organ Donor? - 03/01/17

Dave

Well, you dont have to worry about them using your liver. smile
© 24hourcampfire