Home
Do yu need hearing protection with a suppressed elk rifle? There's an ad in Bugle magazine showing two hunters with hearing protection and a suppressed rifle. I thought hearing was the argument for hunting with a suppressed rifle.
Posted By: 348srfun Re: Suppressed rifle question - 02/27/17
Well, I'm not an expert on suppressors or decibels but I will be glad to give you an opinion. Suppressors suppress, not eliminate the sound of a shot being fired. Depending on the design of the suppressor, the amount of the gas being created and the length of the barrel, it may or may not take the sound to below a level that can do damage to the ears. Many just don't want to take the chance. If I'm hunting, I probably wouldn't use hearing protection. If I am at the range, I will use hearing protection. If you use a suppressor when around other people, they will appreciate it. Whether they say so or not.
Posted By: deflave Re: Suppressed rifle question - 02/27/17
Originally Posted by Snake River Marksman
Do yu need hearing protection with a suppressed elk rifle?

No.

Travis
It works here in FL with elk and suppressors. Great hunting, but you'll not shoot often.
Anything faster than the speed of sound will still make a very large crack. That is why subsonic rounds are used for suppressors. This leads to lower velocity with heavy bullets, such as 147 grain 9 mm.
Posted By: Ringman Re: Suppressed rifle question - 02/27/17
Snake River Marksman,

A friend of mine has a coyote problem. He decided a .300 blackout firing sub-sonic would be the trick setup. It was too loud. He happened on a fantastic deal on a Ruger 6.5 Creed. Since it was threaded he stuck the 7" long can on it. He told me he can shoot accurately to 700 yards quietly!

From my reading about .300 blackouts they are near worthless even at 200 yards as far as small targets go. I am crushed since I recently took a new .223 to the 'smith to have a .300 blackout barrel installed. When I get it back I will reinstall the .223 barrel and sell the .300 barrel.
ringy, the 6.5 is WAY louder than a subsonic blackout. No matter what BS line your 'friend' feeds you....
Posted By: deflave Re: Suppressed rifle question - 02/28/17
Originally Posted by Ringman
Snake River Marksman,

A friend of mine has a coyote problem. He decided a .300 blackout firing sub-sonic would be the trick setup. It was too loud. He happened on a fantastic deal on a Ruger 6.5 Creed. Since it was threaded he stuck the 7" long can on it. He told me he can shoot accurately to 700 yards quietly!

From my reading about .300 blackouts they are near worthless even at 200 yards as far as small targets go. I am crushed since I recently took a new .223 to the 'smith to have a .300 blackout barrel installed. When I get it back I will reinstall the .223 barrel and sell the .300 barrel.

Your friend's an idiot.

Dave
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
It works here in FL with elk and suppressors. Great hunting, but you'll not shoot often.

no Dan, you mean Unicorns and suppressors. lol

the other week, a fellow at the Hernando Sportsman's club was using a suppressed Mac10. pfffffffffffft............pffffffffffft

Posted By: hanco Re: Suppressed rifle question - 02/28/17
My 308 with subsonic is very quiet, no louder than a BB gun. Full power loads are still loud. The subsonic works well in the yard. My neighbors had a dog that came in the yard and growled at my grandchildren. They are still looking for him.

Subsonic loads are like a 40 S&W power wise. It will kill pigs at 50 yards. Trajectory like a rainbow 🌈 If I'm sighted an inch high at 100 yards with full power loads, it's 13 clicks up to hit at 50 yards. The clicks are a 1/2 on the old Redfield Accutrac scope.
Posted By: KuiLei Re: Suppressed rifle question - 02/28/17
Originally Posted by deflave
Snake River Marksman,

Your friend's an idiot.

Dave

His friend is the idiot???
hanco summed it up pretty well. I shoot a suppressed .44 "mag" subsonic for hogs. With heavy hard cast bullets it kills very well out to maybe 65 yards, and the sound is less than a .22. I can make it quieter, using Trail Boss and both lighter bullets and powder charges, but it won't kill as well.

I could get by without hearing protection with it, and often do.

Mike
Snake River Marksman,

Good Lord.

Let's count.

*300BLK subsonic is louder louder than a 6.5 Creed.

*He shoots it accurately out to 700 yards.

*Since when does coyote hunting require shooting totally silenced?

*That barrel swap is a train wreck waiting to happen.

crazy grin
Posted By: 4winds Re: Suppressed rifle question - 02/28/17
Everyone of you don't know anything about suppressors. I've watched all kinds of movies and every one of those suppressors was so quiet that even the hammer dropping was quieted. In fact I'm going to get one of those suppressed rifles you see in the movies that are in 3 pieces in a suitcase and go together in 20 seconds and never miss and with a suppressor even better. Shhhhhhhhh. Caint hear it.
Be pretty safe bet that at 700 yards, when shot with either a Blackout or Creedmore - suppressed - a coyote would not need hearing protection.

Mike
Originally Posted by spencer516
Anything faster than the speed of sound will still make a very large crack. That is why subsonic rounds are used for suppressors. This leads to lower velocity with heavy bullets, such as 147 grain 9 mm.

There isn't a suppressor made to defy breaking the sound barrier.

The answer is still no.

Do yu need hearing protection with a suppressed elk rifle? There's an ad in Bugle magazine showing two hunters with hearing protection and a suppressed rifle. I thought hearing was the argument for hunting with a suppressed rifle.

they are shooting a rifle with a suppressor screwed on it.that does not mean they are shooting sub-sonic ammo. without sub-sonic ammo the rifle will still be fairly loud but can often be shot shot without hearing protection.the suppressor will dampen noise enough to stop it from hurting your ears. if you shoot sub-sonic ammo at around 1050fps in any caliber you will cut your effective range down to 150-200yds tops.with a 300bo its 100-150yds max.

The answer is still no.

Back on the sauce eh?
Originally Posted by WayneShaw
Originally Posted by spencer516

There isn't a suppressor made to defy breaking the sound barrier.

That's not true. Hollywood has em. Seen it on my tv.

The answer is still no.

answer may be no but you won't have a very effective elk rifle if you shoot subsonic ammo.

For the money you spend on a high end suppressor, you could get a decent set of digital ear plugs that will essentially do the same thing as the can without sending in your genetic code to the BATFE, having something hanging off your barrel and all the other hassles of owning one.
Posted By: edk Re: Suppressed rifle question - 02/28/17
A friend has a 300bo. When he has subsonic loads and his suppressor screwed on it is problably more quiet than a pellet gun. My 6br with my suppressor is pretty good but you still get the crack. ED K
Posted By: rost495 Re: Suppressed rifle question - 02/28/17
Wow, nothing surprising from ringmans comment though, always thought Barnum and baileys rings to be funny anyway...

Dude never ceases to amaze with stupidity.
Originally Posted by srwshooter

The answer is still no.

answer may be no but you won't have a very effective elk rifle if you shoot subsonic ammo.

Is this supposed to make sense?
Posted By: bea175 Re: Suppressed rifle question - 02/28/17

The answer is still no.

do you need a suppresser on a elk rifle , do you need hearing protection for shooting a Elk without a suppresser , the answer is hell no
Ringman.... good to see you reclaim your crown as the biggest dipschitt on the fire. For a while there I was thinking Stickbow and Trystan were vying for a run at the title.... way to reassert our idiotic dominance.

.300 Blackout, 208 Amax at 1000fps.... quiet as hell...

[video:youtube]ABeDsuGw2XM[/video]

Full house .260 loads.... through the same can. As you can tell.... it's much louder, though still quiet enough to shoot sans plugs.

[video:youtube]QUhGfXIubsE[/video]

Suppressed "elk rifle".... .300 WSM full house 180 loads... same can again...

[video:youtube]7LOlruXAcDo[/video]

Anyone ever pull pit duty pulling targets? Don't even think you can do it without hearing protection. When the bullets hits the butts, there is the other end of the sound barrier crack.
Anyone ever pull pit duty pulling targets? Don't even think you can do it without hearing protection. When the bullets hits the butts, there is the other end of the sound barrier crack.

Yes. But they're going overhead. Repeatedly. For hours.

With a can you are to the rear of the source and it's going forward. It's akin to shooting a squirrel with a 22LR. I guess I could run and get some plugs, but I'm not gay.

Clark
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Suppressed rifle question - 02/28/17
I think that the suppression of questions about rifles is a very serious problem. We need to be constantly vigilant about such intrusion by the government. Where is the NRA?
So when shooting a rifle, you don't hear the crack of the sound barrier breaking? Go have another drink.
So when shooting a rifle, you don't hear the crack of the sound barrier breaking?

Posted By: AJ300MAG Re: Suppressed rifle question - 02/28/17

With a can you are to the rear of the source and it's going forward. It's akin to shooting a squirrel with a 22LR. I guess I could run and get some plugs, but I'm not gay.

Clark

Oh, yes you are... laugh

Friend of mine has a surpressed .338 Lapua. Ya you'd be better off wearing hearing protection.
Originally Posted by edk
A friend has a 300bo. When he has subsonic loads and his suppressor screwed on it is problably more quiet than a pellet gun. My 6br with my suppressor is pretty good but you still get the crack. ED K

True.

One problem loading for the .300 Whisper is running close to the speed of sound without going over. You hear the crack when you're over by just a few fps. That round, subsonic, gets pretty weak past a hundred yds. With the 220 gr. bullet, at a hundred it's about like a .45 ACP point blank. So, it kills but falls off pretty fast.

Supersonic suppressed is still noisy. From what I've heard, suppressed supersonic tends to make it harder to tell where the shot came from, but not all that quiet.

DF
So when shooting a rifle, you don't hear the crack of the sound barrier breaking?

You tell me. You're the drunken fool making stupid comments.
Posted By: Ringman Re: Suppressed rifle question - 02/28/17
Originally Posted by huntsman22
ringy, the 6.5 is WAY louder than a subsonic blackout. No matter what BS line your 'friend' feeds you....

I love this kind of answer. You are using one of the same tools I use at times: Ignorant prejudice. Maybe you didn't get the part about the suppressor. Or have you actually done a comparison and you're posting from empirical data?
Posted By: mohick Re: Suppressed rifle question - 02/28/17
Used one for the whole hunt in Africa on 7 mag. loved it other than the extra length, made a 7 sound bout like a 22 mag. Also seems to slow the forward motion of the sound as well, animals are seldom spooked quick enough, in case a second shot is needed!!
Lets see....the last time I heard it thunder was about 1980 so I don't have a problem!!
Dogshooter,

Thanks for posting the tree videos. I held a digital sound level meter up to your post to see if what you are claiming is correct. The blackout regestered 69dB. The .260 showed 68dB and the .300 came in at 71dB. So it looks like th_e .260 is the quietest.
Dogshooter,

Thanks for posting the tree videos. I held a digital sound level meter up to your post to see if what you are claiming is correct. The blackout regestered 69Db. The .260 showed 68Db and the .300 came in at 71Db. So it looks like the .260 is the quietest.

Wow.... just wow. That is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard. You held a digital meter up to a speaker and played a video to "see if I was correct?" You really are a special kind of stupid...

You should hold that meter next to your ear and hit yourself over the head with a tack hammer.... let us know what it reads.

Why, exactly, would a person need a suppressed elk rifle???
Posted By: BarryC Re: Suppressed rifle question - 02/28/17
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
Dogshooter,

Thanks for posting the tree videos. I held a digital sound level meter up to your post to see if what you are claiming is correct. The blackout regestered 69Db. The .260 showed 68Db and the .300 came in at 71Db. So it looks like the .260 is the quietest.

Wow.... just wow. That is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard. You held a digital meter up to a speaker and played a video to "see if I was correct?" You really are a special kind of stupid...

You should hold that meter next to your ear and hit yourself over the head with a tack hammer.... let us know what it reads.
LOL!!!! laugh
Originally Posted by BarryC
Dogshooter,

LOL!!!! laugh
grin
Posted By: dodgefan Re: Suppressed rifle question - 02/28/17
If you are only firing one or two shots I'd say no hearing protection is needed. If you are spending the day at the range personally I'd wear ear pro even if it's suppressed.
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: Suppressed rifle question - 02/28/17
Originally Posted by Middlefork_Miner

Why, exactly, would a person need a suppressed elk rifle???

And who wears hearing protection while hunting elk regardless??
I don't know anyone who hunts without electric ear muffs; elk or anything.
after 50 years of shooting, my .223's sounds like my .22lr's did when i was young. built in suppression.
and i would laugh to see a elk rifle with a can. i have killed a dozen or so elk and never heard the shot regardless of the round, length of barrel etc used. ymmv

I've NEVER even SEEN someone hunt with them, much less knew them...

Don't you live in CA?

Don't you live in CA?

There's a thread on musical instruments...you should go there and brag about your prowess on the skin flute...
Because, you know they're not legal in California right?

Posted By: Huntz Re: Suppressed rifle question - 02/28/17
Originally Posted by bea175

The answer is still no.

do you need a suppresser on a elk rifle , do you need hearing protection for shooting a Elk without a suppresser , the answer is hell no

Huh,what did you say?? shocked
Dogshooter,

Proving it daily. whistle

Ear muffs are illegal??? right....
Posted By: Raeford Re: Suppressed rifle question - 02/28/17

Clark

When did that happen?
It's not April 1st, is it?

Ear muffs are illegal??? right....

I admit it was an assumption.

But it is CA.

Dave
Originally Posted by Raeford

Clark

When did that happen?
It's not April 1st, is it?

Fugkin' cyber-bullies are out of control on this site.

Posted By: Raeford Re: Suppressed rifle question - 02/28/17
Channeling their inner T-Rump. grin
Dogshooter,

Thanks for posting the tree videos. I held a digital sound level meter up to your post to see if what you are claiming is correct. The blackout regestered 69dB. The .260 showed 68dB and the .300 came in at 71dB. So it looks like th_e .260 is the quietest.

Alright, I'm on to you now man. HAHAHAHA, HAHAHA, HAHA, HA; right? Right?

I read a recent post where you spoke of reading Bible versus in between shots to allow your barrel time to cool. I was thinking, okay no harm in that...but if you're above post is serious, keep reading that bible cause you NEED that kind of love.
Posted By: blanket Re: Suppressed rifle question - 02/28/17
Snake River Marksman,

The stupid is strong in that one
Originally Posted by westside_benny
Dogshooter,

Alright, I'm on to you now man. HAHAHAHA, HAHAHA, HAHA, HA; right? Right?

I read a recent post where you spoke of reading Bible versus in between shots to allow your barrel time to cool. I was thinking, okay no harm in that...but if you're above post is serious, keep reading that bible cause you NEED that kind of love.

My post was no sillier than his. He was using video to show one was louder than the other. Since he was being silly I thought I would participate.

Yes, I read the Bible a lot.
Posted By: KuiLei Re: Suppressed rifle question - 02/28/17
Originally Posted by KuiLei
Snake River Marksman,

Your friend's an idiot.

Dave

His friend is the idiot???

One more time...
Dogshooter,

Yes.

He's a Young Earth Creationist.
© 24hourcampfire