Home
Posted By: Mgw619 Enjoying my last dip - 03/19/17
Enjoying my last dip as we speak. With all I've got, I'm going to quit as of tomorrow morning. I know it's going to be tough. I have stopped for 7 months in the past but started back. Now I know I really have to. Wifey says no kids until I quit. Ready to start a family so here it goes. I'll be 32 in June and have been dipping since I was 16. Send encouragement!
Posted By: deflave Re: Enjoying my last dip - 03/19/17
You'll probably fail at this.

Dave
Posted By: Mgw619 Re: Enjoying my last dip - 03/19/17
Precedent says so
Posted By: KoolBreeze Re: Enjoying my last dip - 03/19/17
I kept a dip in my lip from time I got every morning until I went to bed for 26 years. No telling how many times I quit over those years for a week or 2 at the time. Then I just decided it was time, laid it down and never took another one. That was 5 years ago this August. I don't miss it now, but craved it for at least a year. First few months were the worst. My lip ached non-stop.

My wife nagged and nagged. It didn't matter, I couldn't quit until I decided it was what "I" wanted to do. Good luck to you.
Posted By: Tracks Re: Enjoying my last dip - 03/19/17
If you try, you will fail
If you quit, you win the first day.
Posted By: achadwick Re: Enjoying my last dip - 03/19/17
Originally Posted by KoolBreeze
I kept a dip in my lip from time I got every morning until I went to bed for 26 years. No telling how many times I quit over those years for a week or 2 at the time. Then I just decided it was time, laid it down and never took another one. That was 5 years ago this August. I don't miss it now, but craved it for at least a year. First few months were the worst. My lip ached non-stop.

My wife nagged and nagged. It didn't matter, I couldn't quit until I decided it was what "I" wanted to do. Good luck to you.

Me too. I quit for the last time in the summer of 2009.
Posted By: achadwick Re: Enjoying my last dip - 03/19/17
Originally Posted by Tracks

This^^^^

I tried to quit many times, but actually quit only once. smile
Posted By: Bobmar Re: Enjoying my last dip - 03/19/17
Once you decide you want to quit, more than you want to dip, you're done. Until then, quitting is only temporary. Trust me, I know. I haven't touched tobacco in 25 years. It's not easy, but you can do it. I'd say "good luck" but luck has nothing to do with it. It's all about determination. Best wishes!
I was hooked a lot longer than you. I quit SKOAL 4 years ago. The biggest help for me was the Listerine wafer things in the little pocketpaks.

https://tse1.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP....amp;pid=15.1&P=0&w=300&h=300,

Most of the drug stores have them; WalMart is the cheapest.

TicTacs help, too. Gum, if you like gum. I don't. After the first three or four days you have it made, physically. You just have to convince your brain to stay the course. Anytime you consider giving up, just remind yourself why you started (for your wife and family). When you get a craving, go brush your teeth, and remind yourself that you are a FORMER user.

Good luck to you.

Posted By: mark shubert Re: Enjoying my last dip - 03/19/17
I did 1-2 cans of Cope a day (mostly 2), for 21+ years. Gave it up, cold turkey, for Lent.
By the time Easter came around, I'd decided I could do it.
Never touched it again, although I had bad cravings for about a year - and occasional cravings 5 years later. Now, I haven't had a craving for a LONG time - but, I quit in '91.
Keep a tight rein on yourself - it gets easier with the passage of time.
I'll pray for you. Just hang tough.
Posted By: 79S Re: Enjoying my last dip - 03/19/17
Wtf I guess be no kids then
Posted By: northcountry Re: Enjoying my last dip - 03/19/17
[quote=deflave]You'll probably fail at this.

Dave [/quote
Doc.
Told me either I cut out the snuff or he got to cut out my lip: I have not used since and that was forty years ago: I still have my lip.
So yes it can be done with enough motivation. Good Luck. Cheers NC
Posted By: mcmurphrjk Re: Enjoying my last dip - 03/19/17
I started dipping Copenhagen at 9 year old. About 1 can a day since. Been close to 50 years now, and I have never tried to quit.
I figure as soon as I start to feel addicted, I'll hang it up.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Enjoying my last dip - 03/19/17

Yes sir! You have to decide you no longer dip and your habit doesn't control schit. It's all in ya head.
Posted By: slymule Re: Enjoying my last dip - 03/19/17
You'll find the dipping is alot cheaper than the kids.
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: Enjoying my last dip - 03/19/17
Quitting nicotine is easy, it's not starting again that's the tough part. Never ever, not even once, not even a little, none whatsoever, not the slightest bit; 100% abstinence is the only thing that'll break the addiction. It is a physical addiction, the mental part is making the decision to beat it. As time goes by, each month it'll get easier to resist and as the years go by the desire will fade, at least slightly. I've been without for 4312 days and only want some chew or a smoke every week or so. It's great, good luck. Seriously kick it in the ass! There's zero down side to quitting and zero upside to continuing. Should be the easiest decision ever.

Here's a handy days between dates calculator. May 30th 2005 to today.
https://www.timeanddate.com/date/duration.html
Posted By: Ozarker Re: Enjoying my last dip - 03/19/17
I quite December 8th of this year. Cravings are still there but I dont plan on starting back this time. I quit for over a year about 10 years ago. So this is my second longest quit. The first days are the toughest. then it gets a little easier. It can be done if you want to bad enough.
Posted By: crittergetter Re: Enjoying my last dip - 03/19/17
I smoked for 51 years and smoked and dipped for about 12 of the 51.I had open heart surgery 4 years ago and the cardiologist told me if I do not quit it was going to kill me.I was in the hospital for 19 days because I could not breath properly.When I was released from the hospital I came home and thru everything tobacco in the trash.After about 6 months of coughing and spitting up some of the most GOD awful smelling and looking crap from my lungs they finally cleared and I could breath again,smell and taste things I had not been able to because of it.
I'm proud to say I have not had anything to smoke or dip in 4 years and do not miss it in the least.I cannot stand the smell of it and cannot be around people that are smoking.I will PRAY FOR ANY AND ALL PEOPLE THAT DECIDE IN THEIR MINDS TO STOP.I know how hard it was for me.I did not think I ever would.I had tried hypnosis and accupuncture and that did not help in the least.
Posted By: Klikitarik Re: Enjoying my last dip - 03/19/17
The demons at U.S. Smokeless Tobacco Company are going to hate you when they learn you aren't working for them anymore. Believe me, they won't allow you to be emancipated easily.... but why be owned?
Posted By: CCCC Re: Enjoying my last dip - 03/19/17
You can do it - and do it completely. Discipline !! There is a reason why your wife has voiced that position. What is important to you? I wish you every success.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Enjoying my last dip - 03/19/17
Originally Posted by Mgw619
Enjoying my last dip as we speak. With all I've got, I'm going to quit as of tomorrow morning. I know it's going to be tough. I have stopped for 7 months in the past but started back. Now I know I really have to. Wifey says no kids until I quit. Ready to start a family so here it goes. I'll be 32 in June and have been dipping since I was 16. Send encouragement!

Best encouragement/advice I can give you is:

Don't do the first dip!

MtBoomer mentioned it in his post too I believe. Don't be tempted by a cigarette, cigar, pipe etc either. They will lead you back to a dip.

I haven't had a tobacco product in almost 28 years and I smoked, chewed, and used real snuff (like they did in the olden days, up the nose) for over 20 years before that. 2 and 1/2 packs of cigs a day at the end, plus Red Man, cigars and snuff on occasion.

As tempted as I've been, I just won't do the first one, of anything. And I can smell a cigarette in traffic and that can set me to thinking "I can just bum one and have it with a nice coffee". Or see someone with a pipe and think "Pipes ain't so bad, I can just puff on one of those". Don't let it fool you, the addiction wants you bad.

Even my old man who smoked at least a pack of Cigars a day for years figured it out when he quit.

Don't do the first one, ever!

You, your wife, and whatever kids you end up with, will appreciate it in the end.

Geno

PS, kids may be expensive too, but they probably won't make you lose half your lower jaw like a friend of mine did from not stopping dipping. S--t like that costs more than money.

PPS. Another helpful thing I did when I first quit, the first couple of years actually. Take half of what you spend every day on your chew and put it aside. Use the money for "fun" stuff. Buy your wife a nice present in a few weeks. I got a nice fishing reel or two and some other goodies. You'll be surprised at how quick it adds up. Do it in cash, take it out of your pay every payday, first thing. Put it in an envelope or something. Cash shows you something tangible. You'll thank me later wink
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Enjoying my last dip - 03/19/17
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Quitting nicotine is easy, it's not starting again that's the tough part. Never ever, not even once, not even a little, none whatsoever, not the slightest bit; 100% abstinence is the only thing that'll break the addiction. It is a physical addiction, the mental part is making the decision to beat it. As time goes by, each month it'll get easier to resist and as the years go by the desire will fade, at least slightly. I've been without for 4312 days and only want some chew or a smoke every week or so. It's great, good luck. Seriously kick it in the ass! There's zero down side to quitting and zero upside to continuing. Should be the easiest decision ever.

Here's a handy days between dates calculator. May 30th 2005 to today.
https://www.timeanddate.com/date/duration.html

Good advice Boomer!

and thanks for the link to the calculator.

10214 days for me so far.

Geno
Posted By: jimy Re: Enjoying my last dip - 03/19/17
Daves right, I would just look for new p~ssy in the morning, you'll both be happier. smile
Good luck! The alternative sucks.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: baldhunter Re: Enjoying my last dip - 03/20/17
I quit when I was 36yrs old.I was dipping at least a can of Copenhagen a day at that time.I had used tobacco for 24yrs.I tried to quit several times with no luck.The nicotine withdraws are tough.When the Nicoderm patch first came out,I went to my Dr. and told her I wanted to try the patch.I placed the patch on my side above the waist,alternating sides and places each day.I quit carrying my snuff the day I put the patch on and I don't know how many times I reached for it out of pure habit,but it wasn't there.With the patch,I didn't need the nicotine,it has it in it,it was more of getting used to not having a dip in my lip nearly all the time.After a few days,I started seeing the positive affects.My mouth started feeling cleaner and it was kinda nice not having that monkey on my back that was really controlling my life.I didn't even make it through the whole 28 day patch regime.On day 12,I removed the patch and have been tobacco free for 24yrs.
Posted By: Sako76 Re: Enjoying my last dip - 03/20/17
Encouragement sent!
Posted By: ingwe Re: Enjoying my last dip - 03/20/17

My bane was smoking. Found out trying to quit doesn't work.

Ultimately I just plain didn't want to smoke anymore.

That worked.

Wanting to quit, and not wanting to dip are two different things...
Posted By: dale06 Re: Enjoying my last dip - 03/20/17

Good luck. I just can't understand how people can put that nasty [bleep] in your mouth.
My wife I know would not let me kiss her hand if I dipped.
Good luck, kids change everything.
Posted By: hanco Re: Enjoying my last dip - 03/20/17
Quit that crap!!
Posted By: kelbro Re: Enjoying my last dip - 03/20/17
1621 days quit today for me. Dipped for almost 35 yrs. What an f'ing idiot I was...
Posted By: NDsnowman Re: Enjoying my last dip - 03/20/17
You are on the right track and good luck to you. I chewed for years and quit about 5 years ago. It wasn't easy, but a guy I knew had his jaw sawed off like in the pictures on page 1. I thought of that every time I had a craving. It worked.
Posted By: gophergunner Re: Enjoying my last dip - 03/20/17
Originally Posted by deflave

Dave
Man, your encouragement is overwhelming!
Posted By: cra1948 Re: Enjoying my last dip - 03/20/17
I started younger than you did and quit older than you are now. My first can of Skoal was $0.19. I can recall at least three coworkers who died of stomach or esophageal cancer from it. My dentist once said it's like carrying a time bomb around in your mouth. There's nothing good about tobacco use.
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: Enjoying my last dip - 03/20/17
10215 is a lot of days! Good for you.

I dorked out when quitting and wrote on both hands - NO SMOKE! Carried an unopened pack for a few weeks too. Whatever - it worked. Now I'm thinking of writing NO NEW RIFLES!
Posted By: deflave Re: Enjoying my last dip - 03/20/17
Originally Posted by gophergunner

Dave

Nobody ever quits because their wife wants them to.

Posted By: twofish Re: Enjoying my last dip - 03/20/17
Be careful after you have had a few drinks as well. That is definitely a weak point to give in and "bum a dip". As others have said previously as soon as you do that you are right back in the same boat you were in.
Posted By: muleshoe Re: Enjoying my last dip - 03/20/17
Originally Posted by gophergunner

Dave

Nobody ever quits because their wife wants them to.

This.

You gotta want to quit or it'll never happen.

Best of luck to you.

I've been off of it for 20 years now. Quitting weren't easy, but it was for sure worth it.
Posted By: navlav8r Re: Enjoying my last dip - 03/20/17
Originally Posted by dale06

Good luck. I just can't understand how people can put that nasty [bleep] in your mouth.
My wife I know would not let me kiss her hand if I dipped.
Good luck, kids change everything.

Worm $h_t or worm dirt for the kinder, gentler types.

My wife smoked for about eight years but quit when she got pregnant with our first; I never dipped or smoked. My grandfather gave me a puff off of his Camel when I was about five or so....YUK. That was enough for me. sick
Posted By: muleshoe Re: Enjoying my last dip - 03/20/17
Ha! I dated a gal in HS who dipped also. We would split a can of Copenhagen.

The good ole days...
...not
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Enjoying my last dip - 03/20/17
Good luck. I had quit for a year and a half before I got started again.

The horrors of farming will do that to you.

Do it for you and your future kids. Seems like good a reason as any.
Posted By: PJGunner Re: Enjoying my last dip - 03/20/17
I quit smoking in 1975. I won't go into how long I'd smoked or how many packs a day I went through, just say it was one hell of a lot. Got lucky and found a Seventh Day Adventist quit smoking program and it worked. Haven't smoked anything since.
When you reach for where you carried your chew, say, "I choose not to chew at this time." The Tic Tacs and gum, carrot sticks are good substitutes. Drink lots and lots of water. The more you pee the faster you flush the nicotine out of your system. The hardest part is the habit of reaching for that pack of smokes or can of chew. That's the habit you have to break. Saying a little prayer asking for success in quitting don't hurt.
Paul B. Been there and done that.
Posted By: kevinJ Re: Enjoying my last dip - 03/20/17
I started at 14, and quit last year three days before I turned 30. I dipped from the moment I woke up, and fell asleep with it in most days. I have two sons now and a daughter and did not want them to lose me early to something easily preventable. I also did not want my childrenn growing up thinking it was cool or ok to use tobacco. I threw the can out the window driving down the road, and honestly have had no desire to dip again since

If you do it for her you will fail. It must be for you, and you have to have your mind set that you don't want to do it anymore. Good luck
Posted By: victoro Re: Enjoying my last dip - 03/20/17
Originally Posted by Mgw619

My best friend's cousin died at 35 from lip/mouth cancer. He lived for a short while after he had surgery to totally remove his lower jaw.
Posted By: BIGR Re: Enjoying my last dip - 03/20/17
YOU CAN DO IT. I gave it up in 1989 cold Turkey, set my mind to it and have not touched it since. Started chewing when I was 14 and then when I was 24,I quit cold turkey in 1989, one of the hardest things I ever did. One thing that made me quit was I saw my cousin die from cancer, she was only 35 years old, but that really got me to thinking.
Posted By: rong Re: Enjoying my last dip - 03/20/17
The thought of or actually having kids can make you drop a lot of bad habits.You can do this,and you wont be disappointed.
Posted By: 222Rem Re: Enjoying my last dip - 03/20/17
I thought this was going to be a JellO and OKOK appreciation thread.

Good luck kicking the addiction. You'll save enough money on chew each month to buy life insurance for your dependents when they show up. And your premiums will be lower.
Posted By: AKBoater Re: Enjoying my last dip - 03/20/17
I finally kicked the habit 4 years ago when my son was about 9 months old. I went cold turkey nicotine-wise but continued dipping mint snuff for about a month. The first couple days are killer, but it's worth it not being tied to something or constantly being distracted by desire to dip. The biggest bit of advice I can give you is to get rid of it all. The day I quit I dipped like fiend all day then threw any remaining cans I had in the trash. Don't save anything or you'll find it in the next couple days or weeks. Get rid of the spitters in your truck and anything that will remind you of dipping and find a way to stay busy for the next 48-72 hours while the nicotine gets out of your system. Then it's all about breaking the habit of having something in your lip.
Posted By: Remington6MM Re: Enjoying my last dip - 03/20/17
Yah, and wimmins gotta love kissing a guy with a load of dog chit in his mouth.
mgw619,

As you can see, many of your fellow Campfire members have trod this same path, with success, and we are all pulling for you to get through this change for the better in your life.

You have been given a lot of good advice and helpful tips. Make use of as many of them as you can, and it will make the task easier. Not easy, but easier.

Sharing your commitment on this forum is also a good idea. So is telling friends and family what you are doing. This helps you be accountable. You have to want to do it for yourself, but encouragement from others helps, too.

Let us know how you are doing, and we will keep encouraging you. Hang in there.
Posted By: Mgw619 Re: Enjoying my last dip - 03/20/17
Thanks nifty and to the rest of you
© 24hourcampfire