Home
Posted By: Sponxx Pray for Peru - 03/20/17
As some of you know, I am from Peru.
For the past days Peru has been suffering extreme weather conditions, in which most of the coast has been flooded due to unusual heavy rains from El Niño. The floods have been the worst in almost 30 years and thousands of communities, schools, roads, bridges and crops have been destroyed. More than half a million people are affected due to floods and mudslides, isolated without water and food.
Almost half of the country has been declared in emergency, especially in the north where the rainy season has delivered 10 times as much rainfall than usual.

I am asking for prayers, and if possible and willing to, consider donations.

There are plenty ways to help, some from the below links and The Peruvian Red Cross has also activated online donations:
#HelpPeru online donations have been enabled worldwide.

Go to Peruvian Red Cross
#PeruvianRedCross #CruzRojaPeruana #Peru #UnaSolaFuerza

You can read more about what's going on here:
http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKBN16O2V5
http://www.newworlder.com/article/11187/peru-flood-relief
https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...0f7e2a_story.html?utm_term=.efe274feea28

Please keep Peru and its people in your prayers, and if able to help please do so.

[Linked Image]
[video:youtube]i8Vwld9SFyU[/video]

[video:youtube]uUNaqqI41RU[/video]
Posted By: kenjs1 Re: Pray for Peru - 03/20/17
Sent
Posted By: BMT Re: Pray for Peru - 03/20/17
Prayers sent
Posted By: Redneck Re: Pray for Peru - 03/20/17
Originally Posted by BMT
Prayers sent
Ditto...
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Pray for Peru - 03/20/17
Good luck Peru.
Posted By: Hammerdown Re: Pray for Peru - 03/20/17
Praying.
Posted By: Owl Re: Pray for Peru - 03/20/17
Pablo,

I was unaware. I'm truly hoping that all will survive the devastation.

How are your family members doing?

Prays offered for all.

Donations are on the way.

Jeff
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Pray for Peru - 03/20/17
Thoughts and prayers from Iowa.
Posted By: Orion2000 Re: Pray for Peru - 03/20/17
Prayers lifted...
Posted By: Sponxx Re: Pray for Peru - 03/20/17
Originally Posted by Owl
Pablo,
Prays offered for all.

Jeff

Guys, Jeff, thank you so much - my family and friends are doing ok, some water shortages, but in general doing fine, and we are blessed and lucky to be in a position to help out, instead of needing the help.

There are already 75 dead people, and tounsands of people have lost everything and are still struggling with lack of water/food and access. Army/Navy Air Force are evacuating injured first and trying to deliver supplies.
The problem is the prospect of heavy rains and downpours for the next 2 weeks. Whgat is inspiring is a lot of people coming together and lend a hand/shoulder and be one.

Again, thanks for the prayers and help
Posted By: Scotty Re: Pray for Peru - 03/20/17
Praying
Posted By: Seafire Re: Pray for Peru - 03/20/17
Originally Posted by Sponxx
Originally Posted by Owl
Pablo,
Prays offered for all.

Jeff

Guys, Jeff, thank you so much - my family and friends are doing ok, some water shortages, but in general doing fine, and we are blessed and lucky to be in a position to help out, instead of needing the help.

There are already 75 dead people, and tounsands of people have lost everything and are still struggling with lack of water/food and access. Army/Navy Air Force are evacuating injured first and trying to deliver supplies.
The problem is the prospect of heavy rains and downpours for the next 2 weeks. Whgat is inspiring is a lot of people coming together and lend a hand/shoulder and be one.

Again, thanks for the prayers and help

Glad to hear your family are doing well thru this problem Pablo...
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Pray for Peru - 03/20/17
We're pulling for Peru!!

Posted By: rost495 Re: Pray for Peru - 03/20/17
Prayers here!
Posted By: Dave_in_WV Re: Pray for Peru - 03/20/17
Prayer sent.
Posted By: Sako76 Re: Pray for Peru - 03/20/17
Prayers sent!
Posted By: Slidellkid Re: Pray for Peru - 03/20/17
prayers sent
Posted By: hatari Re: Pray for Peru - 03/20/17
Dang! Prayers sent.
Posted By: gophergunner Re: Pray for Peru - 03/20/17
Pablo,

I apologize that I was totally unaware of this. Prayers sent for all Peruvians. I'm glad to hear your family is safe.
Posted By: hillbillybear Re: Pray for Peru - 03/20/17
Prayers on the way
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Pray for Peru - 03/20/17
a fair number of our Miami friends are Peruvian. I have been hearing about the problems there with the inclement weather. Prayers are indeed in order.
Posted By: RNF Re: Pray for Peru - 03/20/17
Prayers sent!
Posted By: Scott F Re: Pray for Peru - 03/20/17
Done.
Posted By: hanco Re: Pray for Peru - 03/21/17
Bad down there, good luck to them
Posted By: comerade Re: Pray for Peru - 03/21/17
Count me in. Prayers matter
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: Pray for Peru - 03/21/17
Prayers sent from here.
Posted By: Sponxx Re: Pray for Peru - 03/21/17
Thanks for the prayers and support guys. Many countries in the region are sending help, as well as thousands of civilian volunteers trying to do their best for those more affected.
Every prayer helps
Posted By: memtb Re: Pray for Peru - 03/21/17
My grandfather's Spanish class is going down there (Lima) next week. I can't believe they have not canceled, for many obvious reasons! memtb
Originally Posted by memtb
My grandfather's Spanish class is going down there (Lima) next week. I can't believe they have not canceled, for many obvious reasons! memtb

Not all parts of Lima have been affected, though peripheral districts have. So depending where they are inside the city most likely they will be fine. They may face some water shortages depending on where they are staying, as the problems with water in Lima have been due to to much mud in water processing plants.

As things are now, CocaCola/Lindley Industries and the biggest beer companies are using all their capacity and water supply to bottle and distribute freely. Many other companies are helping in different ways, and most of the help is for the northern and middle coastal/mountainous regions.
Posted By: memtb Re: Pray for Peru - 03/21/17
My grandfather's Spanish class is going down there (Lima) next week. I can't believe they have not canceled, for many obvious reasons! mad memtb

Boy, you really need to check with how your computer changes words. My grandfather would be around 122 years old now! I typed "granddaughter" !! memtb
My grandfather's Spanish class is going down there (Lima) next week. I can't believe they have not canceled, for many obvious reasons! mad memtb

Boy, you really need to check with how your computer changes words. My grandfather would be around 122 years old now! I typed "granddaughter" !! memtb

It did strike me as unusual - then I thought, maybe he is an older Spanish teacher smile grin
Posted By: DakotaDeer Re: Pray for Peru - 03/22/17
Are these in low-lying flood-prone areas?
Posted By: Sponxx Re: Pray for Peru - 03/23/17
Dakota - Peru's geography is complex.
The Andes mountains run North to South and split the country into the coastal, mountainous and rainforest regions.
In some places you can go from ocean side-sea level to over 16k ft within 80miles. (Peru has over 80 out of the aprox 100 microclimates found in the world)

Most of the rain usually falls in the jungle side and Amazon basin. With the Niño it has fallen on the coastal side. Many of the ravine and canyons have become "activate" with mudslides, drainage overflooded and swamped villages. These regions don't have the normal drainage system that the highlands and rainforest have.

[Linked Image]

So technically, yes the flooding is in lower areas, however not necessarily prone to flooding. Everything in Peru has some slope to it, so water is always on the run, the problem has been the excessive and fast volumes, flashflood like, but causing mudslides. These mudslides tear down vegetation and rocks, so they tear down bridges and block roads too.

Of course people living on the edge of rivers or in ravines and mountain sides have been more affected.

You can get a sense of what some places look like:
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[video:youtube]d0ymsyx61ts[/video]

Please keep the prayers coming and spread the word. If possible multiple places and ways to make donations.

Red Cross is one way Peruvian Red Cross donations and the peruvian consulate has also opened an account at Bank fo America

Peruvian Consulate Link
BANK OF AMERICA No. 226007091472

#RiseUpPeru #UnaSolaFuerza #CruzRojaPeruana
Posted By: funshooter Re: Pray for Peru - 03/23/17
Prayers Sent
Posted By: DakotaDeer Re: Pray for Peru - 03/23/17
Thanks for the explanation.
© 24hourcampfire