Home
Posted By: aalf Hard Boiled Eggs - 03/26/17
I generally eat a couple a day, but with my old hard surface stove, it took forever to bring the water up to a boil. A couple weeks ago the local farm store had these on sale for $15.00:

https://www.hamiltonbeach.com/egg-cooker-25500

Talk about an easy button. Pour in a little water, add eggs, turn on the switch, and 18 minutes later it buzzes & they're done. No muss, no fuss.....
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Hard Boiled Eggs - 03/26/17
It might suit your purposes, but my kitchen counter does not need any bulky, single-purpose tools like that. A pot and a timer work just fine -- and do many other things besides boil eggs.
Posted By: Dutch Re: Hard Boiled Eggs - 03/26/17
All right. It's too hard to boil water?

Recipe for guaranteed perfect hard boiled eggs?

Put eggs in cold water on stove. Bring to boil. As soon as the water is boiling turn it off, and let the water and eggs cool until the water is luke warm.

Works at every elevation. No timer needed, ever.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Hard Boiled Eggs - 03/26/17
I use a pot with a steamer insert. Bring water to a boil, add the steamer with the eggs and put on the lid. 12 minutes for little eggs, 15 for jumbos. Works every time.

Take them off the heat at once and chill in cold water. Easy peel.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Hard Boiled Eggs - 03/26/17
I put in a pot of cold water and turn on the heat. Turn off at 20 minutes and put eggs into a bowl of ice.
Posted By: deflave Re: Hard Boiled Eggs - 03/26/17
The key to hard boiled eggs is leaving the raw eggs on the counter for two days.

Then add to water. Bring to boil. Turn off heat, add lid, LEAVE ON THE BURNER THAT IS TURNED OFF.

They will always peel to perfection. And give you magnificent farts.

Clark
Posted By: mohick Re: Hard Boiled Eggs - 03/26/17
How many more gadgets can they make, for people who can't fuggin cook?? brain dead society
Posted By: aalf Re: Hard Boiled Eggs - 03/26/17

Originally Posted by aalf
with my old hard surface stove, it took forever to bring the water up to a boil.

Reading comprehension....a wonderful thing......
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Hard Boiled Eggs - 03/26/17
If it took forever to get a 1 1/2 qt pan of water boiling, I'd be saving my egg cooker money for new stove.

Though I guess it could be cool to have an entire countertop covered up egg cookers, rice cookers, pasta cookers, vegetable cookers etc etc.
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: Hard Boiled Eggs - 03/26/17
Originally Posted by Dutch

Put eggs in cold water on stove. Bring to boil. As soon as the water is boiling turn it off, and let the water and eggs cool until the water is luke warm.

That's the way I do it.

Cooking too long turns em into rubber.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Hard Boiled Eggs - 03/26/17
and older eggs make better hard boiled eggs, than fresh ones. A pin hole in the large end helps. 1/4 cup white vinegar in the water makes the hard boiled eggs better.
Posted By: hatari Re: Hard Boiled Eggs - 03/26/17

The problem I have found with this method is that it makes eggs harder to peel vs starting them in boiling water (14 min). Both get the cold water bath immediately afterwards. One started in hot water peel cleaner.
Posted By: WayneShaw Re: Hard Boiled Eggs - 03/26/17
What does the vinegar do?
Posted By: victoro Re: Hard Boiled Eggs - 03/26/17
If you want boiled eggs without the boiled egg smell try this:

1) slowly lower the eggs into boiling water and cook for 10 minutes.
2) remove the eggs from the boiling water and put in ice water until they cool.

They will peel easily won't smell up your potato salad or whatever you put them in.
Posted By: Calvin Re: Hard Boiled Eggs - 03/26/17

with my old hard surface stove, it took forever to bring the water up to a boil.

You expect too much.
Posted By: Beoceorl Re: Hard Boiled Eggs - 03/26/17
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
and older eggs make better hard boiled eggs, than fresh ones. A pin hole in the large end helps. 1/4 cup white vinegar in the water makes the hard boiled eggs better.

True. We have our own chickens, and there are few things more frustrating than trying to peel a truly fresh egg.
Posted By: GreatWaputi Re: Hard Boiled Eggs - 03/26/17
I boil a dozen every Sunday. Cold water, add eggs to pan, bring to a rolling boil, turn off heat and cover with lid, let sit 12-15 minutes, then into cold water. Never an issue yet.
Posted By: Ranger99 Re: Hard Boiled Eggs - 03/26/17

i've always done mine this ^ ^ ^ way with the exception i
let them go for 2 or 3 minutes after the water comes to a boil.
i've never had any problem with shells cracking or trouble
peeling or rubbery eggs. i don't add anything to the water
except heat.
Posted By: CCCC Re: Hard Boiled Eggs - 03/26/17
At 8,000 ft. - sure fire recipe is to buy them at Costco already hard-boiled to perfection and in a nicely sealed package - they taste and smell good, too.
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: Hard Boiled Eggs - 03/26/17
Here's how to make perfect, and easy peeling, boiled eggs. Carefully (so you don't crack them) place eggs into already boiling water. Boil for twelve minutes. Drain and immediately place eggs into bowl of ice water (lots of ice). Let sit twelve minutes. Eggs peel easy. The drastic and sudden change in temperature has caused the membrane to separate from the egg.

Alternatively, you can skip the cold water if you use a wet teaspoon to remove the egg from its shell. It's easy. First, after cooling eggs in cold water to the point you can handle them, crack a line around the egg's equator with the spoon. Then slip in the wet spoon under the shell and remove the shell from one hemisphere, re-wetting as needed. Then do the same for the other hemisphere.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Hard Boiled Eggs - 03/26/17
Originally Posted by deflave
The key to hard boiled eggs is leaving the raw eggs on the counter for two days.

Then add to water. Bring to boil. Turn off heat, add lid, LEAVE ON THE BURNER THAT IS TURNED OFF.

Clark

+1
I learned this method a long time ago and have posted it here several times.

As I understand it, enzymes inside the egg dissolve the membrane just enough to keep the shell from adhering to the white.
Posted By: bigfish9684 Re: Hard Boiled Eggs - 03/26/17

Those things suck at boiling water. Had to use my parent's to make them some canned marinara and it took the canner 1 hour 20 minutes to get to temp/pressure. My normal coil stove takes less than 20 mins.
Posted By: WyColoCowboy Re: Hard Boiled Eggs - 03/26/17
Originally Posted by CCCC
At 8,000 ft. - sure fire recipe is to buy them at Costco already hard-boiled to perfection and in a nicely sealed package - they taste and smell good, too.

Boiled eggs and potatoes are always a challenge at 8,000+ feet.
Posted By: Dutch Re: Hard Boiled Eggs - 03/26/17
Originally Posted by WayneShaw

The vinegar lowers the pH in the egg, which makes them easier to peel.

Commercial growers actually adjust their chicken feed to make the eggs' pH lower; one of the reason farm fresh eggs are so hard to peel is that their pH tends to be far higher.

Adding the vinegar is a way to lower the pH after the fact, but of course any acid would work. If you object to vinegar, something like lime juice works the same way.

Man, I need to quit listening to cooking programs............
Posted By: Huntz Re: Hard Boiled Eggs - 03/26/17
Originally Posted by deflave

Clark

Better yet if pickled. shocked
Posted By: DW7 Re: Hard Boiled Eggs - 03/26/17
Steaming is the way to "hard boil" Farm fresh eggs to make them easy to peel.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Hard Boiled Eggs - 03/26/17
Originally Posted by WayneShaw

it makes them easier to peel
Posted By: 30338 Re: Hard Boiled Eggs - 03/26/17
Wife has been baking them in muffin pans in the oven for the last year or so. Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes. Drop in cold water when out of the oven. Easy.
Posted By: TF49 Re: Hard Boiled Eggs - 03/26/17
I generally eat a couple a day, but with my old hard surface stove, it took forever to bring the water up to a boil. A couple weeks ago the local farm store had these on sale for $15.00:

Talk about an easy button. Pour in a little water, add eggs, turn on the switch, and 18 minutes later it buzzes & they're done. No muss, no fuss.....

I have boiled eggs on the stove for years and followed some of the stove top methods mentioned here. However, often, I would get distracted by kids , barking dogs or whatever and end up boiling the eggs too long. Result was hard to peel eggs. When to visit stepson and he was using a "Henrietta" steamer. It was great. Put the water in, turn it on and then come back later. Now use a cuisinart and an easily make the hardboiled eggs my wife like or softboiled the way I like them.

Cheap, easy, good results and doesn't take up to much space on counter.
Posted By: sharpsguy Re: Hard Boiled Eggs - 03/26/17
I let my wife boil them, or better yet, make deviled eggs. Either way, perfection every time, and I don't have to fool with it.
Posted By: las Re: Hard Boiled Eggs - 03/26/17
Too much work guys. I just have the wife do it. Preferably into Deviled Eggs.
Posted By: las Re: Hard Boiled Eggs - 03/26/17
Ha = sharpsguy beat me to it!
Here's a hint-

they are/should be simply cooked hard. Actual boiling is part of the problem.

Bring the water to a boil and turn the heat off and leave 'em for 12-15 min.

Thank me and Travis/Dave/deflave/etc later. wink
Originally Posted by las

What? If it ain't Mountain House you can't cook it?!
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Hard Boiled Eggs - 03/26/17
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by las

What? If it ain't Mountain House you can't cook it?!

Reminds me of Riley as a youngster looking into the Mountain House bag and giggling..."Do we eat it? Or did we eat it?"
Posted By: jmp300wsm Re: Hard Boiled Eggs - 03/26/17
20 minutes in boiling water and then into a pan of water and ice cubes. Perfectly done and easy to peel every time. Nothing worse than a hard boiled egg just a little under cooked.
Posted By: nemotheangler Re: Hard Boiled Eggs - 03/26/17
Originally Posted by hatari

The problem I have found with this method is that it makes eggs harder to peel vs starting them in boiling water (14 min). Both get the cold water bath immediately afterwards. One started in hot water peel cleaner.

THIS! Used to do method one, fought the peel constantly. Switched to hot start for 14 minutes, egg perfection!!!
Posted By: hatari Re: Hard Boiled Eggs - 03/26/17
Validation. How sweet it is!
Posted By: tmitch Re: Hard Boiled Eggs - 03/26/17
Have used the "cold water start, bring to boil, turn off heat, cover, let sit 15" quite a bit with varying peel results. Read or heard to add tsp of salt to the water and the two times I've tried it, they peeled great.
Posted By: SandBilly Re: Hard Boiled Eggs - 03/26/17
Pressure is the key for me with fresh eggs. I haven't tried Travis's suggestion of setting out for two days, yet.
Posted By: SandBilly Re: Hard Boiled Eggs - 03/26/17
I'll add I've tried many suggestions here and they're not even close as easy to peel as when cooked under pressure.
Posted By: JMR40 Re: Hard Boiled Eggs - 03/26/17
We boil a dozen at a time at our leisure. Place in refrigerator. Repeat every 3-4 days. Takes zero time to get them ready in the morning.
Posted By: Jacques_La_Rami Re: Hard Boiled Eggs - 03/26/17
you guys got it all wrong, who cares who or how they got boiled and pealed? The most important part is how long they been soaking in vinegar with cayenne peppers and garlic on the back bar. I reckon the best ones been sittin' back there at least five years or more. That's the kind you want to save for special occasions, like something that might happen next year smile
Posted By: Barkoff Re: Hard Boiled Eggs - 03/26/17
I have tried a lot of ways to boil an egg but hard to keep the shells from sticking. Upon advice, I started adding a little baking soda to the water...no idea why, but it helped with the sticky shell problem

I have heard of people baking their eggs instead of boiling, but have never tried it.
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Hard Boiled Eggs - 03/26/17
Originally Posted by jmp300wsm
20 minutes in boiling water and then into a pan of water and ice cubes. Perfectly done and easy to peel every time. Nothing worse than a hard boiled egg just a little under cooked.

Except for a juicy soft boiled egg overcooked. wink
Posted By: robertham1 Re: Hard Boiled Eggs - 03/26/17
I agree with the simplicities method.

Use old eggs
Start with the eggs in cold water
Bring to boil
Let set until room temp.

I prefer soft boiled so I shock em in ice to halt th cooking process.

Also- once peeled, grab a can of the pickled jalapeños and pour them into a ziplock, juice and all, add some of the peeled eggs, suck the air out and let em sit in the fridge for at least a week. Doesn't get much better.
Posted By: EdM Re: Hard Boiled Eggs - 03/26/17
The only eggs I eat are in an omelet with an azz load of veggies and salsa. I won't touch a hard boiled egg. My wife likes them all and stinks up the fridge regularly with the hard boiled variety.
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: Hard Boiled Eggs - 03/26/17
Originally Posted by sharpsguy
I let my wife boil them, or better yet, make deviled eggs. Either way, perfection every time, and I don't have to fool with it.

Smart fellow!

Posted By: 5sdad Re: Hard Boiled Eggs - 03/28/17
Lest anyone come to grief when attempting any of the suggestions given here, it goes without saying that eggs can only be properly boiled in a cast iron kettle on a gas stove.
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: Hard Boiled Eggs - 03/28/17
Easiest way to peel a hard boiled egg:

Put the boiled egg in an empty peanut butter jar with a smidge of water. Shake it around good letting the egg bang against the bottom. Take the egg out and run it under the water while peeling & the shell will usually come off in one piece.

Last night I peeled 12 perfectly with this method & it took me maybe three minutes.
Posted By: 222Rem Re: Hard Boiled Eggs - 03/28/17
Tag
Posted By: 16bore Re: Hard Boiled Eggs - 03/28/17
Kinda funny thread. But....

Bring water to a boil THEN add the eggs, reduce to medium, 8 minutes, creamy yolk, 12 minutes solid yolk. Run cold water over them to stop the cooking. Firm tap of each end of the egg, then sorta roll the middle to crack. Easiest peeling eggs ever.

Soft boiled is my favorite with just a dab of soy sauce on the yolk. Good stuff.
Posted By: Old_Crab Re: Hard Boiled Eggs - 03/28/17
Originally Posted by CCCC

Great idea.... this is the best-yet!
Hallelujah/Amen.
Posted By: tommyd53 Re: Hard Boiled Eggs - 03/28/17

I bought one of these little suckers, too. A different brand name, but the same thing. We get fresh eggs from our son that has a dozen laying hens, or from the local Farmers Mkt. Fresh, hard boiled eggs are sometimes miserable, to peel. Not with this thing. I heard steaming was the way to go, and it is. I piss $20 a week down the toilet in beer & booze, at least, and don't think twice about spending it. Why not on something like this? Works good. And, unlike the beer & booze, you get to use it more than once.
Posted By: old_willys Re: Hard Boiled Eggs - 03/28/17

alf

We picked up a similar unit and it works great!

We go thru a lot of boiled eggs, With the electric unit it can turn out perfect eggs and no one has to sit in the kitchen waiting for the timer. I boiled 5 or 6 dozen with it so far not one has been hard to peel and they are perfectly done.

Whats not to like!

The buzzer is so loud it can be heard from anywhere in the house. I takes up very little space in the cupboard and can be setup in seconds.
Posted By: BOWSINGER Re: Hard Boiled Eggs - 03/29/17
Originally Posted by Mannlicher

Salt water
Posted By: robertham1 Re: Hard Boiled Eggs - 04/09/17
[Linked Image]
Posted By: huntsonora Re: Hard Boiled Eggs - 04/09/17
Originally Posted by 30338
Wife has been baking them in muffin pans in the oven for the last year or so. Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes. Drop in cold water when out of the oven. Easy.

That's what I do too
Posted By: fester Re: Hard Boiled Eggs - 04/09/17
Originally Posted by robertham1
[Linked Image]

How long do you let them chicken periods marinate? Looks tasty.
I've been on a Huy Fong Sriacha soaked hard boiled egg kick...... great breakfast.
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Hard Boiled Eggs - 04/09/17
What does the carrot do?
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
What does the carrot do?

Taste good
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Hard Boiled Eggs - 04/09/17
There good fer yer eyes. Sheesh. wink

Posted By: RDW Re: Hard Boiled Eggs - 04/10/17
The carrots better be good for "night vision" 'cause those jap's would have me running for the chit pot all night long...not even habanero's rip my ass like pickled jap's.
Posted By: hanco Re: Hard Boiled Eggs - 04/10/17
They make me fart a lot. I like deviled eggs a lot.
Posted By: robertham1 Re: Hard Boiled Eggs - 04/10/17
Originally Posted by fester
Originally Posted by robertham1
[Linked Image]

How long do you let them chicken periods marinate? Looks tasty.

The first time I made them I ate one a day to see how the flavor progressed. I found they started getting good around day 5 and incredible at day 8. I hid these in the back of the fridge to keep me from getting into them too early. Jalapeño in one hand and egg in the other.
Posted By: robertham1 Re: Hard Boiled Eggs - 04/10/17
Originally Posted by hanco
They make me fart a lot. I like deviled eggs a lot.

While the eggs give me gas, the jalapeños add a certain "clear the room" stench
Posted By: Simoneaud Re: Hard Boiled Eggs - 04/10/17
I bought a egg steamer too, LOVE IT!! Perfect boiled eggs in 12 min.
© 24hourcampfire