Home
Planning to drive past the south coasts of Michigan and Superior. Still plotting a route.

Hoping to find stuff like good walleye dinners, Wisconsin dairies that sell cheese, breweries with pubs on premises, dog friendly beaches, wild rice, decoys, antique malls, outdoor fish frys.

Some places I've heard about but still unsure of -
Harley Davidson Museum
Red Wing boot factory
Federal Ammo Factory (do they have a factory store there?)
Wisconsin Dells
Green Bay
Minneapolis underground tunnels along the Mississippi.
Great Lakes Ferries.

I would really like to find some of the independent sporting goods stores that cater to the WI deer hunting culture.

Any ideas or suggestions from Great Lakes guys or from anyone would be greatly appreciated.
Devils lake is pretty cool in WI
Copper Falls State Park in Mellen WI. It's near the Michigan - Wisconsin border. The only downside are the mosquito's which can be bad even in June.
Alamosa,

Drop me a line if/when you're in/around Green Bay.
Plenty of the fish fries, breweries, dairies in this neck of the woods. (actually that's true of most of WI) smile
Lots of beach between along the eastern border.

I'm not sure I'd wish the Dells on my worst enemy during the busy season. But if you have kids, they'll enjoy the heck out of it.
Originally Posted by DoeSlayer
Copper Falls State Park in Mellen WI. It's near the Michigan - Wisconsin border. The only downside are the mosquito's which can be bad even in June.

Mellen is pretty far from the border.
The headwaters of the Mississippi in Minnesota.
If you only stop in MN is going to be the Minneapolis area, I'd skip it. Seriously. You're missing out on the best part of the state. If you're going around the Great Lakes, follow them up to Duluth and north.

Almost any small town in WI will have your dairy selling cheese. How far do you plan on coming up?

Don't forget to stop any some of the meat markets in WI either. You'll also find some great cheeses there. Maplewood Meats juuuust outside of green bay is a good one if you're in that area. I'm sure SKane can point you in the direction of others in that neck of the woods.
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit
Devils lake is pretty cool in WI

Originally Posted by DoeSlayer
Copper Falls State Park in Mellen WI.

Both worth seeing - about 4.5 hours apart.
Monroe, WI is a neat place. So is Galena, IL. Monroe is a neat old 'Swiss alps' style town and Galena is pretty much one giant historic site and the birthplace of U.S. Grant. Stop at a Culver's if you get the chance- butterburgers and frozen custard.
Originally Posted by Alamosa
Planning to drive past the south coasts of Michigan and Superior. Still plotting a route.

Hoping to find stuff like good walleye dinners, Wisconsin dairies that sell cheese, breweries with pubs on premises, dog friendly beaches, wild rice, decoys, antique malls, outdoor fish frys.

Take any road in WI and you'll find plenty of all the above.. Seriously..

Pay heed to tzone - he's tellin' it like it is...
bring high test bug dope......lots and lots of it....LOL

if you get in the vicinity of Walker Mn you could visit Reed's sporting goods
Oh, Farm and Fleet (Fleet Farm for you idjits in WI laugh ) is always on my list when I'm back in the ol midwest.
Originally Posted by bigfish9684
Oh, Farm and Fleet (Fleet Farm for you idjits in WI laugh ) is always on my list when I'm back in the ol midwest.

Well, there are Farm and Fleet stores and Fleet Farm stores. you know...for the idjits in WA.
Originally Posted by tzone

Well, there are Farm and Fleet stores and Fleet Farm stores. you know...for the idjits in WA.
laugh laugh

Beat me to it..
Stop in the Funkey Bar northwest of Blackduck, Mn. for a sarsaparilla, tell them I sent you.
Course, I'm always to busy, so I've never stopped.
Bug repellent.
After Duluth, take hwy north towards Grand Marais and then backtrack toward Silver Bay and then north on hwy 1 to Ely, You'll be in the heart of the arrowhead region and can say you were a "ranger" for a while
Door County Peninsula

I'm just an idjit from Illinausea. Makes it worse, I know.
Two of the largest Antique malls in WI, one in the little town of Milton, just North of Janesville. It is in the Gym of the Old Milton College. Number two is in Columbus WI in the old water plant building I think.

Some great historical spots associated with the Blackhawk War of of 1832. State Historic sites like, Old World Wisconsin, Mineral Point, Heritage Hill, and the Villa Louis mansion in Prairie Du Chein are all great.

The Apostle Islands, Door County, and Devil's Lake State Park are worth the drive.
If you get up towards International Falls my dad is right on Rainy Lake for the summer and can point you in the right direction on anything local. My family has been in the area for a couple of generations and there is a good museum on the logging culture of Northern MN in International Falls.

PS My mom fries almost the nicest golden brown walleye fillets you will ever see. If you stop i can guarantee you will not leave hungry.

[Linked Image]
Hay Mack, when I stopped to talk to OI a couple of years back, nobody asked if I, wanted a feast like that!!! (smile)
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Stop in the Funkey Bar northwest of Blackduck, Mn. for a sarsaparilla, tell them I sent you.
Course, I'm always to busy, so I've never stopped.

Guessing you meant Funkley Bar. grin

Jerry

Why in the WORLD would you even ADMIT that???

laugh laugh
Yup, ,you been to the bar
The Boundary waters in the North. Breathtaking....and good fishing.
Only 27 miles from Mellen to Ironwood.
Originally Posted by Jkob
After Duluth, take hwy north towards Grand Marais and then backtrack toward Silver Bay and then north on hwy 1 to Ely, You'll be in the heart of the arrowhead region and can say you were a "ranger" for a while

Rangers would never allow you to say that.

I'm not sure I'd have admitted that.
Originally Posted by Redneck

Why in the WORLD would you even ADMIT that???

laugh laugh

laugh laugh
If you only stop in MN is going to be the Minneapolis area, I'd skip it. Seriously. You're missing out on the best part of the state. If you're going around the Great Lakes, follow them up to Duluth and north.

Almost any small town in WI will have your dairy selling cheese. How far do you plan on coming up?

Don't forget to stop any some of the meat markets in WI either. You'll also find some great cheeses there. Maplewood Meats juuuust outside of green bay is a good one if you're in that area. I'm sure SKane can point you in the direction of others in that neck of the woods.

Plus one on Maplewood Meats.My Wife's Uncle who lives in Bowler turned us on to them.

But the smoked fish are to die for. Truly good.
Originally Posted by Wyogal

But the smoked fish are to die for. Truly good.

Did that trip some years ago. Duluth, Fitgers Brewery, the North shore, Highway 61, Ely. We had a float plane drop us off north of the border and made our way back into the US through the boundary waters.
Bucket list material for sure.
Not sure I could portage a canoe with a Duluth pack like I did back then.

... and yeah, those golden smoked fish. That's another food from that area that is just great.
Originally Posted by mack5511
If you get up towards International Falls my dad is right on Rainy Lake for the summer and can point you in the right direction on anything local. My family has been in the area for a couple of generations and there is a good museum on the logging culture of Northern MN in International Falls.

PS My mom fries almost the nicest golden brown walleye fillets you will ever see. If you stop i can guarantee you will not leave hungry.

[Linked Image]

Ya. That's what I'm talking about.
It seems like you don't appreciate food from that area until you move away and can't get it anymore.
Lots of places offer killer walleye meals up there.
Wisconsin cheese.
Wild rice.
Old Dutch Potatoe chips.
Old Style used to advertise the 1000 ft deep well where they got their brewing water. I heard they went through a buyout or merger since then.
Smoked fish of course.
Lefsa.
Native blueberries and blackberries.
Stop at every beer joint.
"Outdoor fish fry" Perhaps you are thinking of an outdoor fish boil.

Door County is famous for its Whitefish fish boils. Two places come to mind, White Gull Inn, Fishcreek and Pelletier's Fish Creek. The best breakfast in Door County is Al Johnson's Swedish Restaurant, Sister Bay, WI.
If you get a chance, drive along Hwy. 13 along the South Shore of Lake Superior, rather than taking Hwy. 2 the whole way. Lots of nice scenery and cool little towns to mosey through on that route. Little towns like Cornucopia, Herbster, Port Wing (Great smoked and fresh fish!), are pretty active during the summer. Great people up there, for sure. Lotta darn Swedes 'round dere though, so watch out for 'em..
Don't forget Top the Tater for the Old Dutch Chips. It is the crack cocaine of dips.
Umm....well, Milwaukee about a mile or two in from the shore will be really interesting on most summer nights just before darkness falls. Right around Marquette U. is a good place to start.
Don't leave Wisconsin without eating cheese curds. I recommended fish boil in Door County, Sturgeon Bay in the county has just the place, Renard's Cheese Store.
I hear the advice about avoiding the Twin Citys. I really would prefer to exclude that from my route but family has some real estate there that really needs a first hand look.

Really appreciate the tips on Devil's Lake and Copper Falls. I've noticed I can have the dogs play fetch with their training duck for a few minutes at any waterfront and they are good for another few hundred miles of travel. Gotta work in some stops for the dogs every day while traveling.

We always joke about how small and lethargic the mosquitoes around here are compared to the vicious northern ones.

I got a gun from Reeds Outdoor Outfitters from Walker, MN but have never personally been there. I won it in a DU raffle. It looks like a good sporting goods store.
I live very, very close to Maplewood Meats just outside GB. If really good butcher shops are your thing, definitely stop there. Their fresh Polish , brats, and any of their hot stick/sausages are top notch. Their fresh cut meat is excellent .
Going into GB, if you want breweries, we have some excellent breweries too. If you're going to eat, Id stop at Titletown first, unless you want high end cuisine, then Hinterland. Both very good beer and food, Hinterland is very expensive.
Stilmank is my favorite brewery/brewers in town, small place, just beer, wonderful people.
If you head toward Lambeau, which most do, Badger State Brewery is right there, also excellent beer. Hinterland is in the process of building a new facility right there also, right across from the stadium.
We have two new breweries that will be open by then, both on east side, not too far from Stilmank
If you want to see Lake Michigan, and go to a great brewery and winery, head to Algoma, due east of Green Bay where you will find Ahnnapee Brewing snd Von Stiel Winery. There is a great fish smokehouse and restaurant there too
If you like to fish, our Bay of GB is world class for walleye, musky, and smallmouth
My schedule is very uncertain right now or I would offer to take you myself
Many top guides in the area though
I guess for a guy that doesn't talk too highly of the area thinks about it a little bit then realizes that we are pretty lucky here
As for the rest of the state, we have some cool stuff, lots of variety. Lake Superior is incredible at all points in all states and canada too, but my favorite place is in and around Marquette Mi.
Anywhere along the Mississippi valley is scenic, the drift less area around Viroqua is cool
I could go on. But like was stated before, Wisconsin Dells is to be avoided at ALL COST! Milwaukee is like a totally different country, Door County, in small doses, in the right places is neat, but you could very well not like the crush of FIBs
Our northern half of the state is full of lakes and neat supper clubs, but so is Minnesota , so pick one or the other for that
If you want more specific info, or want a guide around GB, pm me and hopefully I have a schedule that would work
You can probably score a decent fish fry at about any Supper Club or what folks from out of town call "restaurants" in the North Woods.

Now if it happens to be a Friday night you can include many of the taverns as well. The Friday night fish fry is a true Wisconsin institution. Not all will be serving Walleye though.

Seems like the advice you have so far will be good for about 1500 miles of driving and require at least 2 weeks. Might want to consider sticking to a route that takes you from some kind of point A to point B, there will be plenty to occupy your time.
Most of the info above is very good. Are you bringing kids? When will you be passing through?
Just saw the title, passing through in June.

Since you expressed an interest in the HD Museum, it follows that you will be in Milwaukee. If you are here in late June there is a large outdoor festival that can be fun. Bands, food, beer, wine, people watching.

http://summerfest.com/

I would not go to the Dells unless kids were involved, or you wanted to go to a water park

http://www.wisdells.com/wisconsin-dells-water-parks.htm

My favorite gun stores are

http://www.damroadgunshop.net/

http://www.moehardware.com/

http://www.starkssportshop.com/

The info on cheese stores above is very true. They are everywhere! Note that they make different kinds of cheese, so you should look first. If you had a taste for a really good sharp cheddar, and the place only made aged limburger, well lets just say it would be eye opening

http://www.wisconline.com/attractions/cheese.html

http://www.wisconsincheesemap.com/

Breweries and brew pubs are also everywhere. Milwaukee used to be home to Pabst, Miller, and Schlitz. One time long ago my buds and I did all three tours in one day. Schlitz used to be especially generous with the samples smile

http://wisconsinbrewpubs.com/

http://projects.jsonline.com/apps/BeerNear/

If you are a football fan then Lambeau Field needs to be on the list. This is one of the larger tourist draws in the state, and its well worth the trip

The Apostle Islands are a scenic treasure

http://www.dreamcatcher-sailing.com/

Really the entire Southern shore of Superior is outstanding

The Native American tribes in Northern Wisconsin (aka "Up North") are famous wild rice

http://www.manoomin.com/Distributors.html

http://www.badriver-nsn.gov/history

Not on your list, but worthwhile anyway, is a trip along the Mississippi River. Wisconsin Hwy 35 is known as the Great River Road. This truly equals the north for interesting places and people

http://wigrr.com/

Here is a route known as the Circle Tour

http://www.wisconsinhighways.org/other/lmct.html

So many places to stop and check out. Historic, cultural, and scenic things. Food, beers, wine.

The worst part of your trip will be as you head South out of Milwaukee to go around the bottom of Lake Michigan. Between the big city insanity of Chicago, and the armpit areas around Gary Indiana, I would just go through there late at night.

An alternative to driving around the bottom of the lake are the two ferries that would take you across the lake, The SS Badger

https://www.ssbadger.com/

and the Lake Express

http://www.lake-express.com/

I don't have as much experience in Michigan as I do in Wisconsin, but here are a few of my favorites

http://exploringthenorth.com/bigspring/spring.html

https://www.nps.gov/kewe/index.htm

If you want more info on anything feel free to get in touch

No kids. 2 dogs. Expect to be there June 19-23.
Duluth MN
Lifetime Wisconsin resident here, Your asking about a large travel route in your OP, so just for starters,

Starting at the top of the State,
Ashland and Bayfield area, Apostle islands. My 2nd favorite area in the state. Bayfield is a cool town, lots of history, great smoked fish at Bodins. These commercial fisherman fish each and every day. I like the smoked trout so much I have it shipped here to the house. Fish frys and beer on every corner it seems. Very scenic area.

Great Salmon and Trout fishing, consider a charter.

My favorite area in the state would be Green Bay and Door County. If I ever move it would be to this area. World class fishing for Walleyes Salmon and the biggest Smallies for hundreds of miles.

Fish boils are in Door County, not my favorite, but it's your vacation.

Door County is a must in my opinion, again surrounded by world class fishing, In early June Door County Cherry's might still be available, Wineries abound, cheese curds are sold everywhere, brats and sausage too,

If your in Green Bay, you should consider a tour of Lambeau field, seriously, Good time.

Wisconsin Dells can be a good time, I wouldn't avoid it myself, Kids and adults can find lots to do there.

Regarding Milwaukee, other than the Harley museum, I'd likely spend more time to the North.

If you can define a more specific itinerary, We might be able to address things a little more in detail.

Reeds in Walker is cool. Like many other sporting shops however.
I've never heard of the federal ammo factory, and the Redwing Factory in Redwing is likely shutdown.
What is the historic Army Post, Fort Snelling?
Fort MCoy?
MCoy is in Wisconsin, I know too much about that sand dune.

Snelling in near the Twin Cites.
If referring to the Federal ammo plant, might be the Old Badger ammo plant?

Can't swing a cat without hitting someplace you can get fish. Same can be said for bars, brew pubs, micro breweries, full scale breweries if thats what you're looking for.

DO check out 'Up North'. DO NOT go into Hayward or Minocqua.

DO drive the Mississippi if you can fit it in.

DO NOT (repeat) DO NOT go to the Dells.
We were at the Dells in 1968, I'm in no hurry to go back, riding a DUC might be fun however, but worth the drive.
Originally Posted by Kenneth
Fort MCoy?

Do what now? I'm going to be there next weekend on 'paid business' why the hell you wanna give an honest Joe that kinda bum steer?

Badger ammo plant is nothing to visit anymore. It's only about 45 minutes out of my daily routine...I'm not sure there is anything left of the place, and never seen it open for visits...lotta history there however.

I think it is in Anoka, MN
Fort Snelling is in the twin cities
Never been there but driven by many times
Originally Posted by oulufinn
If you get a chance, drive along Hwy. 13 along the South Shore of Lake Superior, rather than taking Hwy. 2 the whole way. Lots of nice scenery and cool little towns to mosey through on that route. Little towns like Cornucopia, Herbster, Port Wing (Great smoked and fresh fish!), are pretty active during the summer. Great people up there, for sure. Lotta darn Swedes 'round dere though, so watch out for 'em..

This is the best of Wisconsin, for me.
I've never heard of the federal ammo factory, and the Redwing Factory in Redwing is likely shutdown.

Federal ammo? Hello! Lol.
Let me rephrase that,

I've never heard of a Federal ammo plant in Wisconsin,

We did have the Badger ammo plant, now defunct.
Lol. Makes more sense. smile
Get some cheese curds as soon as you get to Wisconsin. That way, once your hooked, you can keep buying them for road snacks the rest of the trip. They are one of the few things I miss about long haul trucking.
Fort Snelling is a historic site that is now a state park at the confluence of the Minnesota and Mississippi Rivers.

Fort Snelling

The Federal Ammunition plant is in Anoka, MN. No tours or factory outlet as far as I know.

Red Wing is a scenic town on the Mississippi river South of the Twin Cities. Red Wing Boots are still made there.

Red Wing Shoe

Lots of historic sites along the Mississippi River. Further north are Duluth and the Iron Range. Iron World near Chisholm and the Sudan Underground Mine State Park are interesting if you would like to see where the ore came from that built a lot of the USA.

Sudan Mine

As for Breweries and Brew Pubs, you can barely turn around without bumping into one these days. Small Wineries are popping up all over now too.

Jerry

Originally Posted by hanco

Not enough time in five lifetimes.
I remember standing at the Downtowner in Greenbay and counting 7 bars, without turning around to look down the other streets.
Lots of nude bars and sex shops if that floats you boat.

I remember a sign on 41 that said

Books
Movies
Toys
Buy
Sell
Rent

I always wondered about the rental and resale toys. Nasty, nasty.
Devil's lake is basically the dells,and it's crazy busy in the summer.

I'd suggest northern Wi along the lake and up along the north shore into Minnesota. Door county is cool too but can be annoyingly busy as well.

Most of Wisconsin is woods or farm fields or a combination of both. Lake Superior and the tributaries are the best scenery we have. Fish fries,cheese,and beer is in every part of the state.

The driftless region is pretty cool too,especially if you trout fish.
Ive bought probably 20 guns from reeds over the years.
Walker is my home town,know the owner personally.
went fishing with him last year for crappies.
Bark River Knives - Escanaba, MI
. . . Hand-made knives made here.

Lake of the Clouds / Porcupine Mtns. - MI
. . . Real nice area. Lotsa bears.

Apostle Islands / Sea Caves - Bayfield, WI
. . . Best seen from a kayak, on a calm day.

Turtle-Flambeau Flowage - Iron County, WI
. . . Cheesehead version of the Boundary Waters Canoe Area.

Wisconsin Canoe Heritage Museum - Spooner, WI
. . . Uber cool, if you're into canoes.

Brule River State Forest - Douglas County, WI
. . . Calvin Coolidge fished here. How cool is that?

South Shore Brewery / Deep Water Grille - Ashland, WI
. . . Just a little place with good beer and samiches.

Duluth Pack - Duluth, MN
. . . A little spendy, but nice, unique stuff.

Surly Brewing Co. - Minneapolis, MN
. . . They'll be pissed if you don't stop in.

Red Wing Shoes - Red Wing, MN
. . . Most of them are actually brown.

Minnesota Orchestra - Minneapolis, MN
. . . World class performances. Osmo Vanska, conducting.

Red Wing Stoneware - Red Wing, MN
. . . As long as you're in town, anyway.

Surdyk's (liquor & cheese shop) - Minneapolis, MN
. . . Huge selection, and some very decent prices.

run up the east coast, hit some friday night fish fry's, saturday Fish Boils, green bay packers hall of fame and Lambeau field. Door county. then head west , wolf river rafting, stop at any hole in the wall bar and get some Cheese Fries, Turn north up along superior, take in some waterfalls. Bring bug spray, sunscreen.
Originally Posted by roundoak
Don't leave Wisconsin without eating cheese curds.
And the curds at the Ellsworth creamery are renowned as about the best in the state.. They produce and sell literally TONS of curds every week..
Originally Posted by Jerryv
Fort Snelling is a historic site that is now a state park at the confluence of the Minnesota and Mississippi Rivers.

Fort Snelling

The Federal Ammunition plant is in Anoka, MN. No tours or factory outlet as far as I know.

Red Wing is a scenic town on the Mississippi river South of the Twin Cities. Red Wing Boots are still made there.

Red Wing Shoe

Lots of historic sites along the Mississippi River. Further north are Duluth and the Iron Range. Iron World near Chisholm and the Sudan Underground Mine State Park are interesting if you would like to see where the ore came from that built a lot of the USA.

Sudan Mine

As for Breweries and Brew Pubs, you can barely turn around without bumping into one these days. Small Wineries are popping up all over now too.

Jerry

That would be SOUDAN and right next to Tower and West of ELY by about 18 miles
Thanks so much everyone for all of the info.
I've been collecting all of it onto a list and then plotting places on a google map.
I think we're going to take it real slow along the great lakes coastlines and stop and goof off a lot.
Really impressed with some of the 5 star dog beaches in MN and WI.
Stop at every beer joint
Stop at every beer joint

I remember campfire stories of my uncles getting a moose one Saturday morning. They backed up a boat trailer and used the cable winch to haul the moose up onto the trailer. Then they spent the rest of the weekend towing it around from one bar to another until they were drunk as hell.
If you want to see real old school cheese making stop at Widmer's in Theresa, WI. Their claim to fame is brick cheese and they use real bricks that are nearly 100 years old to form it (why it is called brick cheese). It is a small place, but if you get there in the morning before 10:00 a.m. you will see them making cheese - about 12 feet from where you will be standing. Their aged brick is simply smokin'. The curds there are usually so fresh that they are still warm.
Rainey river

Boundary waters wilderness area.

Wisconsin Dells

Look into when the air show s in Oshkosh

Bass and walleye fishing should be good in June.
Oh you have been given good advice about cheese curds. There's the curds, and the breaded fried ones. Get the fried ones.
Curious as to how the trip came off???
He never stopped to see me so I'm assuming the trip probably sucked.
Take plenty of bug dope.
Fight off the blackflies on Whitefish Point and visit the Edmund Fitzgerald Museum...

The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
Of the big lake they called ‘Gitche Gumee’
The lake, it is said, never gives up her dead
When the skies of November turn gloomy
With a load of iron ore twenty-six thousand tons more
Than the Edmund Fitzgerald weighed empty.
That good ship and crew was a bone to be chewed
When the gales of November came early….
Originally Posted by johnw
Curious as to how the trip came off???

Thanks to some tips from some of you guys the trip was great.

I was able to work 2 gun shows into the schedule, one in Kansas City and one in Duluth. Both were great. One nice thing is that when traveling with dogs they always let me bring the dogs into the gunshows and it is a chance to get them out of the truck.
[Linked Image]
Compared to local gun shows there seemed to be fewer large caliber and long range stuff but much more leverguns and nice shotguns. I saw beautiful A5s all day long at both shows. In Duluth a guy was selling about a dozen pre-64's but he wasn't selling them cheap. The things that came closest on my short list were a couple of the new Henry high powered leverguns and a Husqvarna 12ga SxS. I didn't buy either one but I didn't come home empty handed. A Minnesota elk hunting buddy that I met for lunch gave me a rusted .308 model 81, so that will keep me busy for a while.
[Linked Image]

I'm mostly an elk hunter but I was interested in the WI deer hunting culture. Starks Sport Shop and Moe Hardware Hanks were the perfect places to see some of that. Did not make it to the Dam Road Gun shop. Up in Tomahawk a guy has a furniture store with a gun shop in the back that is pretty cool.

Duluth was probably the most fun town we visited, but La Crosse, Green Bay, and Bayfield were pretty neat places too. I've owned Harley Davidson equities for many years and was glad to be able to stop by their museum gift shop in Milwaukee. I have vintage old Milwaukee power tools from my grandpas days as an electrician. I've heard Milwaukee tools will refurbish them but just didn't have enough time for that. At least 3 different people had mentioned Maplewood Meats to me and it was easy to see why. I stocked our cooler there.
I really appreciate the suggestions to drive the Mississippi river valley. Very glad that we did that.
[Linked Image]

We made it all the way to Sister Bay up on the peninsula. Al Johnson's was excellent. The goats were grazing on the roof when we were there. Sister Bay was a nice place to walk with the dogs. It was a long drive up there but I'm glad we did it. We did not find an actual fish boil at the times we were looking for one. Besides Al Johnson's the other meals we had that were excellent were the Northstar steakhouse in Topeka and The Snug Irish tavern in Ashley. The Snug tavern has a reuben sandwich that is to die for. We ate pretty well by visiting the smokehouses and cheesemakers in the area.
[Linked Image]
Widmers Cheese Cellars
[Linked Image]
In Duluth we had lunch at Fitgers brewery where my Dad had worked many years ago when he was a young man. I found a Wisconsin beer called Floppin' Crappie that is pretty good and was pretty available everywhere up north.

My wife collects Czech jewelry and actually was able to find some of it. I wanted to buy her an agate from Minnesota. Agates are not easy to find because they are only found in a few places in the world. We managed to find her a nice one in Duluth.
Originally Posted by BOWSINGER
Take plenty of bug dope.
Fight off the blackflies on Whitefish Point and visit the Edmund Fitzgerald Museum...

What is this mess?

A Missourian giving traveling advice to WI and MN via a hack Canadian singer's lyrics?

Guessing the blood sugar is low.

Did you miss pudding hour at the home?
One day in Northern Wisconsin my wife mentioned that she had never seen a bear in the wild. The very next morning a black bear ran in front of our truck near the town of Cornucopia.
[Linked Image]
In those areas near native american settlements the Indians still walk along the highways like they always have.

I was all about smoked meats and fish, walleye, wild rice, Old Dutch chips, lefse, regional beer, cheese curds, and found plenty of it. I never knew there were so many kinds of wild rice - from Canada, MN, WI, and there was Indian harvested, air boat harvested, cultivated, long grain, cracked, parched, and so on. Presidents in Superior has a good selection.

I spent a lot of time playing with the dogs on the beaches. Wisconsin seems like a great place. It has a lot going for it.
[Linked Image]

In Ellsworth KS these vultures had taken over this water tower
[Linked Image]

I learned a lot about our puppy from spending 11 days with her. She has more characteristics of a wild or feral animal than any dog I have ever seen. She has a sweet personality but the Australian dingo traits in her are very strong and pronounced. Every day she managed to somehow get into trouble. She chewed through phone charging cords, chewed a folder of maps, ate something dead in the woods one morning that caused digestive issues later that day. Another day she stole and ate an entire bag of cheese curds - 10 year old aged ones!
[Linked Image]
On the drive home I ended up calling our vet from a cell phone because I was concerned after dingo dog ate a large quantity of foam rubber that she had chewed off from one of her Dokken fetch training ducks.
[Linked Image]
It is hard to stay angry at her for long. She folds her ears back and acts guilty but only for a little while.

When I got back I gave my Dad a growler of Fitgers beer from his old workplace that I had hauled across the country. He told me that back in the 60's his my Grandpa and Grandma had taken a 1950's school bus converted to an RV on what is known as the Circle Tour around Lake Superior - Minnesota, Ontario, Michigan, Wisconsin. I'll bet that tour is still a lot of fun today.
My wife and I retired in the Hayward, Wisconsin area about 22 years ago. Great move. Despite the long winter's, Wisconsin is a fun State. We live in a small town near Cranberry Marshes. Each year they have a Cranberry Fest the first week-end in Oct. We host 25-30,000 visitors that week-end. It's a blast and to pull that off from a town of less than 1,000 residents is feat in itself. The area is gorgeous in the fall., The Maples, Oaks and Pines give off a color show unmatched in the Midwest. Friendlier people you won't find in most other tourist areas. In February we have the U.S's Premier Cross-country Ski race, The American Birkebiener. Again thousands from all over the world show up for this event. Hayward is the Home of the National Fresh Water Fishing Hall of Fame, and we also have festivals throughout the year, such as The Musky Festival. Strange to live in a town where the tallest structure is a Fish! Deer Hunting is terrific, and hiking and biking trails abound in the spacious National and State Forests. I would recommend that anyone that hasn't been to the area, give it a shot. The quaint downtown Main st. is loaded with shops and Restaurants to keep the Ladies occupied while the Guys are out hunting or Fishing. I sound like an ad for the Chamber Of Commerce,but it's great to live in a State that is is Patriotic as Wisconsin. Almost all of it's Freeway's and major highway's are named after Veteran's of different wars.To top all of that there is a large Indian Reservation here with a First Class Casino, and a Native American Pow-Wow in the summer.
Lastly, typical of most Wisconsin Towns, there is no shortage of Bars and micro-breweries, so you won't be thirsty at any time.
One thing I noticed about Wisconsin was BIG American flags and not afraid to fly 'em.
Really nice to see quite a few businesses of any size go to the effort to fly a giant US flag.
One thing I noticed about Wisconsin was BIG American flags and not afraid to fly 'em.
Really nice to see quite a few businesses of any size go to the effort to fly a giant US flag.

Yep. We're good like that. Helped my dad take his down as a squall line crossed the lake. Put it up again 15 minutes later. American flags, weather, cheese curds, and beer...you could say we got it all.
Originally Posted by spencer516

Not enough time in five lifetimes.

No doubt. The guy is doing a tour of several states. It takes at least a day to get from one side of Edgerton to the other, if doing the beer joint thing (pop 4280). A beer tour of Wisconsin? That is a fools errand; on that note, if anyone wants to try.....
come up to the north shore of Mn., canoe, hike and fish in the BWCA,.....it's 64 right now with a cool breeze......... heck stop by and I'll buy you a beer.
Alamosa, is that cheese factory in Theresa WI.? If so I live about 4 mi. the way the crow flies. I go there now and again and the cheese is hard to beat. The cheese curds squeak , they are so fresh.
Dang. Wish I had known you were going to be in Green Bay.
Originally Posted by rondrews
My wife and I retired in the Hayward, Wisconsin area about 22 years ago. Great move. Despite the long winter's, Wisconsin is a fun State. We live in a small town near Cranberry Marshes. Each year they have a Cranberry Fest the first week-end in Oct. We host 25-30,000 visitors that week-end. It's a blast and to pull that off from a town of less than 1,000 residents is feat in itself. The area is gorgeous in the fall., The Maples, Oaks and Pines give off a color show unmatched in the Midwest. Friendlier people you won't find in most other tourist areas. In February we have the U.S's Premier Cross-country Ski race, The American Birkebiener. Again thousands from all over the world show up for this event. Hayward is the Home of the National Fresh Water Fishing Hall of Fame, and we also have festivals throughout the year, such as The Musky Festival. Strange to live in a town where the tallest structure is a Fish! Deer Hunting is terrific, and hiking and biking trails abound in the spacious National and State Forests. I would recommend that anyone that hasn't been to the area, give it a shot. The quaint downtown Main st. is loaded with shops and Restaurants to keep the Ladies occupied while the Guys are out hunting or Fishing. I sound like an ad for the Chamber Of Commerce,but it's great to live in a State that is is Patriotic as Wisconsin. Almost all of it's Freeway's and major highway's are named after Veteran's of different wars.To top all of that there is a large Indian Reservation here with a First Class Casino, and a Native American Pow-Wow in the summer.
Lastly, typical of most Wisconsin Towns, there is no shortage of Bars and micro-breweries, so you won't be thirsty at any time.
Yep - in this state one is rarely more than 5 miles from a bar, no matter which direction...

I didn't know you were in Hayward. You're only about 100 miles from us. Wife and I usually make one trip up there every year on the bike just for the ride. We stop at the Moccasin Bar right on H63 to 'rehydrate' and then take a few different roads back home.. The fishing opportunities right there are awesome (if one loves to fish)..
Originally Posted by ihookem
Alamosa, is that cheese factory in Theresa WI.? If so I live about 4 mi. the way the crow flies. I go there now and again and the cheese is hard to beat. The cheese curds squeak , they are so fresh.

Ya.
LONEOAK had mentioned Widmer's in Theresa and I'm glad he did.
You live in a nice area!
sounds like a great trip, great pics too.
Originally Posted by northern_dave

I thought you might appreciate that pic of the '58 Apache someone had turned into a Packermobile.
They did a nice job.
Originally Posted by add
Originally Posted by BOWSINGER
Take plenty of bug dope.

What is this mess?

A Missourian giving traveling advice to WI and MN via a hack Canadian singer's lyrics?

Just a Norwegian who grew up in WI and MN paying honor to the 29. This death song hits hard while standing among their spirits. Haunting.
Originally Posted by ihookem

Ya.
LONEOAK had mentioned Widmer's in Theresa and I'm glad he did.
You live in a nice area!

I'm happy you enjoyed it! Definitely an old school feel at Widmer's and the curds are the best.
Originally Posted by northern_dave

I thought you might appreciate that pic of the '58 Apache someone had turned into a Packermobile.
They did a nice job.

Yep, very sharp!
© 24hourcampfire