[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I'll take 5 of each
Junebug's favorite.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Wow,the good ole' days
It's about the Yankee dollar, they keep printing more, so all the old dollars are cheaper.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
This might keep kingston out of trouble for a while.
What year? 1940ish?
I'm not sure the catalog doesn't state a year, just No. 51
Probably
I was in that building once. It now has (or then had, anyway) multi-lane concrete spaghetti all around it, and it's now an office building, but it's still rustic dark brown brick and has "Smith Bros Hardware Co" painted in white letters near the top of each of four sides. It's maybe four or five stories high and has an old water tower on top of it. Just inside the main entrance is the bottom end of a big helical steel chute that they apparently used to slide stuff down from the upper stories. It has a lot of round concrete columns, maybe 3' in diameter, holding it up, and they make the office spaces look a little weird.

I found it in Google Street View, but Google's algorithm has it all blurred out, so it's not really worth linking.
Barak - what locale?

Originally Posted by mark shubert
Barak - what locale?

Not Barak but according to these links, Columbus, OH.

http://www.columbusunderground.com/historic-smith-bros-hardware-building-continues-ongoing-rebirth

History: https://books.google.com/books?id=O...mith%20Bros%20Hardware%20Co.&f=false

Originally Posted by kingston
I'm not sure the catalog doesn't state a year, just No. 51

A couple more editions of the Smith Bros. Hardware Co. catalog No. 51 that were listed at auction sites. One says in the description published in 1951, the other says 1944...?

http://www.biblio.com/book/smith-bros-hardware-co-catalog-51/d/383817170

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/smith-bros-hardware-catalog-51-129676348

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
For Wabigoon:

[Linked Image]
Lol
Aw shucks kingston, ya shuldna' done it!

I do however need a metric thumb screw for my snowmobile helmet.
For Kaywoodie:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
For HuntsMan22:
[Linked Image]
For Gus:

[Linked Image]
That post hole auger looks like a hard work out
[Linked Image]
Columbus, OH. There was a software consulting company in that building years ago called Sogeti (may still be, for all I know, but Google Maps doesn't show them); we piqued each other's interest enough that I went there for an interview. Didn't end up working for them, because I found somebody even better closer, but I enjoyed seeing the building.
For Bwana. Maybe next year I'll get you a Danuser.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Bwana_1

Grew up with one. Dad had it, we kids dug "wells" all over. It was about 8 inches, and you could add pipe extensions. I think Dad dug a real well with it in DesMoines way back when.

I will take a couple of those S&W's, a few of the rifles, and may as well restock all the shovels and picks.
kingston, is it all right if us giftees swap around a bit?
Gus don't need the forks, we do, to clear it away.

Those hay trollys go back to when mowing hay was how it was done. Pulling the bales, and loose hay before baling, up off the rack, through the pulleys, into the haymow, and yelling for the fork sticker guy to trip the bales.
I learned to stand loose on an empty haymow floor, when eight bale hit the floor from the track, it would lift you off of it. and brake about half the bales till a layer was built for a cushion.
We have not done that since 1963.
For SLM, you could have used this last week over in the VBTE.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by wabigoon
kingston, is it all right if us giftees swap around a bit?
Gus don't need the forks, we do, to clear it away.

Those hay trollys go back to when mowing hay was how it was done. Pulling the bales, and loose hay before baling, up off the rack, through the pulleys, into the haymow, and yelling for the fork sticker guy to trip the bales.
I learned to stand loose on an empty haymow floor, when eight bale hit the floor from the track, it would lift you off of it. and brake about half the bales till a layer was built for a cushion.
We have not done that since 1963.

No, what a rude question. I put a lot of thought into this...

They used to say, "Never look a gift horse in the mouth."

Now kingston, this is startin' to read like a last will, and testiment, you willin' all sorts of things to folks.

You been feelin' well?
You can't have my dog or my wife, and yes, my dog is still dead.

BTW: Good work on the spelling.
For the blade forum

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Alas poor, poor kingston, so brave, almost courageous, in denial of course.
First Dave, now kingston!
Lol, the weapons are handed out now...I'll take the Firemen ax, no sprayer needed...the wife would have poisoned my food by now
Originally Posted by kennyd

Grew up with one. Dad had it, we kids dug "wells" all over. It was about 8 inches, and you could add pipe extensions. I think Dad dug a real well with it in DesMoines way back when.

I will take a couple of those S&W's, a few of the rifles, and may as well restock all the shovels and picks.

I didn't even see pipe extensions went on it, you'd hit solid rock here within 4'
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
What's a "stuffing box" ? page 265
Alas poor, poor kingston, so brave, almost courageous, in denial of course.
First Dave, now kingston!

Not to fear, I'll be back April 16th.

It houses a gland seal around a stem.
This all started because I was looking for pictures of vintage scope mounts.
Oakum ? that's what we called it
There's a section on packing.
Yes please please please !!! smile
Well, stoneking, I need my beauty rest, I'll see you in the funny papers.
Oakum ? that's what we called it

They used to pound that stuff into the seams of the old wooden fishing boats out this way to seal up the hulls.
Caulking. I have a few C. Drew caulking irons around here somewhere.
Well, stoneking, I need my beauty rest, I'll see you in the funny papers.

Gut schlafen!
the area around a shaft on a pump, or cylinder rod where the mechanical​ seals go, could be cut seals or full circle seals of various material! I'm sure there are other stuffing box's, this is what comes to mind when I hear stuffing box! Millwright by trade here!
[Linked Image]
Let me know if you're looking for anything in particular.

I'm thinking tomorrow will be either gate hardware or maybe sprinklers.
Thanks Kingston, just called packing...plumber I worked with on a number of construction jobs, BS'd me and told me it was Oakum(maybe just slang in the industry).
On page 330, they show a "lock lever"
I've got one, and they are very handy for cleaning loose dirt out of the bottom of deep post holes. smile
That's some great stuff. Going back in time.
This one's for Tedhorn and Crossfireoops, not that they need it.

I dig these old logos.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by mark shubert
On page 330, they show a "lock lever"
I've got one, and they are very handy for cleaning loose dirt out of the bottom of deep post holes. smile

There are some fantastic tools on that page. We must have a mile of page wire fence on the farm. My father and I built them when I was a kid. We'd go scrounge RxR ties when they rebuilt track—a pickup truck load at a time. He ran the Danuser auger on the back of a 574 International that my grandfather bought new. I'd clean out the hole bottoms and deal with anything that held up the auger. The tools of the trade were a half wore out spade, a Collins double bit, a regular two handled clam style post hole digger, and steel point bar. I'd loved to have had some of those specialty shovels.

Years later, I was home from college. A few miles from the farm, a family was having an estate sale. I stopped. They had a "lock lever" post hole digger for sale. I didn't know what it was called. I'd never seen one before. The main handle was broken, but I was enthralled imagining how useful it would have been when building all those fences. I bought it, intending to fix it one day. It moved around with me for a good decade, before I scrounged the right handle to cobbled it back together. I've still never used it.

Geeze, that was great!

I have an old Fairbanks-Morse catalog that I like to look through once in a while.

Quite a lot of water damage but it is still pretty good.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
One of the neat things about all those different items...

they were all made in America!
I was thinking $108 seems steep for a shovel then I saw per dozen.
How long would it take a typical middle class man to save $100 back when that catalog was printed?

Back in those old days even what we consider common everyday tools were much more valued and usually better made and cared for possessions than they generally are nowadays.

I've read old wills that itemized each and every tool belonging to the deceased such as axes, shovels, hoes, saws, pitchforks, etc.,etc., and directed which tool, often along with a physical description of that tool, was to be given to a certain individuals.

That is interesting. I need a dozen model 70's
Originally Posted by kingston
[Linked Image]

If only my Time Machine was working!!!
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
What??????...........No 6.5 Creedmoor ammo.
I;ll take 1000 30-06 for $100. anytime. or any of the RF oddities

thanks for posting, lots of fun to read
6 pitch forks cost more than a model 37 Winchester
Amazing
I want the "Competition Grade" water faucet shutoff. What???
© 24hourcampfire