Home
The first kind seeks an uncomplicated life, knowing the world and its people will thrust enough complications into his life without him inviting more.He will strive to " Live and let live". Folks who were born and raised in a rural setting will have this as their default setting.

The second kind just CAN'T just "Take it like you find it and leave it like it is". They get bored easily and will seek out like minded others to take turns preaching to the converted. The cities are full of these people. Their primary entertainment is finding new places to eat. I suspect this is a perversion of the same instinct that drives the first kind to hunt, fish, and plant gardens.

Either kind can be Liberal, or Conservative as far as politics.

The second kind is a PITA.
Preaching to the choir brother Cur, preaching to the choir. Seems like most everything that embraced and lived thru the 60's is now a political activist hellbent on destruction.
Idle hands are the Devil's workshop.
I am the first kind, but then I spent from 1960-1966 in the Army!
Originally Posted by curdog4570
The first kind seeks an uncomplicated life, knowing the world and its people will thrust enough complications into his life without him inviting more.He will strive to " Live and let live". Folks who were born and raised in a rural setting will have this as their default setting.

The second kind just CAN'T just "Take it like you find it and leave it like it is". They get bored easily and will seek out like minded others to take turns preaching to the converted. The cities are full of these people. Their primary entertainment is finding new places to eat. I suspect this is a perversion of the same instinct that drives the first kind to hunt, fish, and plant gardens.

I don't agree with your analysis. The live and let live have to go into politics to protect themselves. The others want everyone to do what they do. If they don't they go into politics to force them.
Gene, I'd like to think about your post for a bit. Would also appreciate sittin' by a campfire and listening to you tell what led you there.
Its pretty much black and white.

However, liberals are the second type. They may not raise hell pushing their agenda, but they damned sure vote for those who do.
Those that get up in the morning, put on their boots and go out and work their azzes off all day......and those that lay their sorry azzes in bed and mooch off the back of the working man!!
There's Basically Two Kinds of People

Some would say only one type, all being unworthy sinners,..apart from the deluded sinners who think they are better
than other sinners...
Like the hog in Orwells Animal Farm- who wanted to be considered more equal that the other filthy swine from whence he came.. grin

Many christians are torn between what scripture says and their own highly inflated opinion of themselves.
Afaic, the unchristian liberals are those who think they are better and smarter than others and want you to submit to their superior ideas.

They voted for Zero. I've never known what I considered to be a real christian who didnt think of themselves as pretty sorry sinners.

Drs can tell you you not to drink too much or smoke. Just because they dont doesnt mean they think they are better than you.

I have seen people who thought they were christians and also thought they were better than me, also.

I knew better and they will learn better.

Originally Posted by jaguartx
I've never known what I considered to be a real christian who didnt think of themselves as pretty sorry sinners.

Real christian or not a real christian- its don't matter, ..All are 100% equal unworthy sinners.

Theres no escaping that somber fact no matter how much one tries.
Amen Starman, you can say that again.
Funny how folks' appraisal of themselves differs from that of an observer. Nobody wants to be the second kind of person, but they are here, aren't they?

Where's Gus?
there are 10 kind of people : those who understand binary and those who don't ( a geek joke ).

P.
Originally Posted by Starman
Originally Posted by jaguartx
I've never known what I considered to be a real christian who didnt think of themselves as pretty sorry sinners.

Real christian or not a real christian- its don't matter, ..All are 100% equal unworthy sinners.

Theres no escaping that somber fact no matter how much one tries.

Of course there is, ------------ it's called delusion. ;-{>8
Males and Females
Those who divide people into one of two categories and those who don't.
Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. laugh
Originally Posted by oldtrapper

Of course there is, ------------ it's called delusion. ;-{>8

yes, but delusion/escapism is just a form of convenient fantasy distraction from the glaringly inescapable.
they even tell themselves that the mirror on the wall lies to them... grin
Originally Posted by CCCC
Gene, I'd like to think about your post for a bit. Would also appreciate sittin' by a campfire and listening to you tell what led you there.

Same here....

but it doesn't matter what Gene necessarily talks about...

Lot of life learned wisdom in that man..

As Texans go, Gene is the real deal...

Around Gene, I feel like a kid again, listen to my granddad talk to me, my brother and cousins....ya hang onto every word...
Sure are smart ones and dumb ones!
There are three kinds of people in the world. Those who can count, and those who can't.
There are them and there are us.

I was always told there were three different kinds of people.
The one that learn by reading.
The few who learn by observation.
The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
Sharpsman said it all.🤡
Thanks to John and Paul for the compliments, undeserved though they be.
I read in a book of Mongol poetry once that there are two kinds of people; those that build you up and those that tear you down. Never forgot it.

Also in that same book, the same woman who said that, when faced with possibly permanent separation from her lover, gave him her blouse with her scent on it to remember her by. Seemed like a perceptive understanding of the connection between the memory areas of the brain and the olfaction centers to me.
Those are behavioral traits that are applied selectively, Mike. If you only interact with an individual in one setting, it is easy to assume always behaves in a certain way, but change the setting and his responses may change as well.

The commonly used personality types, A and B, have the American deficiency as far as predicting behavior.

The responses on this thread can be divided into the two " kinds of people" I listed.

For instance; Does it come as a surprise that Fireball was the first to respond and Ringman offered the first criticism?

Or that religion was introduced into the discussion very quickly?

Choosing not to respond at all reveals nothing about those members who made that choice.
short people and tall people
light skinned & dark skinned.
fat & skinny
men & women
left handed & right handed

all humans live in a time of change. some want it to come faster, some less faster, slowly in fact.

some people claim to be Agents of Omneity, working for change. (no pun intended).

some want to change back to how things once were, and some want to change to some perceived future conditin.

and on and on. it's all very interesting. and i didn't even talk about politics. lol.
Choosing not to respond at all reveals nothing about those members who made that choice.

At this point I'll reveal that I'm playing that CD of your Cowboy Poetry and Philosophical ramblings set to Music.
Damn, that's one gravelly voice. grin

Good thread, this.

GTC
I'm obliged to you for not putting quotation marks around the word "music" in your post, Greg. 😀
Well, your humility is becoming, and I'll grant that you're no Dave Stamey, or Tom Russel,....I DO enjoy that CD, played in the little machine shop though.

Mowing season's gonna get here early, I gotta' go fart around with another machine that's getting scrounged together here.

GTC
When I was a youngster, I was taught that there are two kinds of people. Those who will be saved and this who will not.

While here in the flesh I figure there are two distinct types. Those who want to be taken care of and those who would rather be allowed to take care ofthemselves. Similar to the OP's binary choice.
"...I'll stand right here where I'm at.....'cause I wear my own kind of hat." grin
In my circle there are 10 kinds of people - those who read binary and those who don't.

I wouldn't necessarily divide the two mentioned in the OP to city and country folk. I've met decent "live and let live" folks in both places and control freaks in both. As already noted, one only has to see where so many of the folks who always argue an opinion (my opinion is better than your opinion) and/or lead off with a personal insult live to realize that one's attitude toward life and others has no correlation to one's location.
Placing people in an undesirable pigeon-hole based on their geographic location seems to be a very common trait on the 'fire.
Spoken like a damn Yankee!

wink
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Spoken like a damn Yankee!

wink
I didn't hear a thing. He typed it. whistle

grin
One group want to dominate and control another.
Another just wants to be left alone.

Hence human conflict. It's that simple.
absolutely. some want to be members of a group, or herd as it were.

others are individualistic to a greater or lesser degree.

and there is a dominance hierarchy in the herd.

and most individuals could care less.
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
In my circle there are 10 kinds of people - those who read binary and those who don't.

I wouldn't necessarily divide the two mentioned in the OP to city and country folk. I've met decent "live and let live" folks in both places and control freaks in both. As already noted, one only has to see where so many of the folks who always argue an opinion (my opinion is better than your opinion) and/or lead off with a personal insult live to realize that one's attitude toward life and others has no correlation to one's location.

You're right, of course. Which is why I used the term"default position" in connection with rural vs city.

Some remain true to their roots and some become acclimated to their surroundings.
People who agree with you and people who don't and monks.
Gene - as no doubt intended, thought provoking post. I sure can't say much about the rural/urban differentiation even though I've lived a heavy dose of both - because that distinction has not focused for me.
But, your distinction has prompted thoughts like:
"those who covet personal freedom vs. those who want to control or constrain other people";
"those who strive for independent self-sufficiency vs. those who would rather be handed things in exchange for being bound to a structure";
those with self-respect and self-determination vs.those who crave security above effort and accomplishment" (what mistaken security would that be?);
"those who strive to develop and maximize their given talents vs. those who simply marvel about ones who do";

etc., etc.
Originally Posted by Tim_in_Nv

Cheers. You made Nevada proud.
Originally Posted by nemotheangler
Originally Posted by Tim_in_Nv

Cheers. You made Nevada proud.

Yes, I was thinkin' the same think
Originally Posted by kingston
Males and Females
...and those who think they're the other.
The "mind their own business" versus "tell everybody what to do and how to do it" types.
there good and bad, those you can trust and those you can't.
Originally Posted by stxhunter
there good and bad, those you can trust and those you can't.

Rocket science eh Rog?
I thought those who like Neil Diamond and those who dont

Hank
I have zero use for generalizations. Even ones considered "brilliant".
Thank you.
Originally Posted by kingston
People who agree with you and people who don't and monks.

I dont know about the monks. They seem pretty cool, or at least the old one were.

Really knew how to make bread, cheese and beer.
Too busy being, to be disagreeing.
I was told very young! There are two kinds of people! Those who paddle their own canoe. And those that need a paddler!
2 different kinds is right, leaders and followers. think back to high school,you had kids that whizzed thru school with a+ grades. they were able to follow instructions to the T,then you had the kids that always bucked the system and didn't seem to learn much.they didn't like to be told what to do. they tend to become leaders in the long run. followers are the ones that end up in those robot jobs in factories and stay til retirement. they are easier to convince to follow idiot libtards there whole life.as long as life is running smoothly they will do what they are told.
Originally Posted by Hogwild7
There are them and there are us.

This is the correct answer...them and us.

And it applies no matter what side of the fence you currently sit.
Most members responding to this thread see a use for having two groups though the criteria for division varies by individual.

Your "them and us" division would result in countless groups, with individuals being endlessly sorted depending on what topic was under discussion.
Most members responding to this thread see a use for having two groups though the criteria for division varies by individual.

Your "them and us" division would result in countless groups, with individuals being endlessly sorted depending on what topic was under discussion.

Correct...you have just described humanity.
Left to our own thought, intellect, being and/or morality there is no limit to the depth of depravity that men will seek. You don't need to look too far to see that!

ME !? were it not for being guided by something much higher and greater, I'd no doubt be plumbing the depths.

There are, IMHO, two types, with a muddled area inbetween, where lies a 'cross over' point if you will....

Men need to be careful in how they choose their Guide!
My dad told me the two types were:

Problem solvers, and
Problem creators.

Which do you want to be?

Am thinking that the OP set this direction.
I can't rid myself of the image of cudog, fireball, seafire and ringman gathered around a campfire all talking at once while peeing on the fire. Dividing humans into only 2 groups is some pretty heavy philosophy.

mike r
© 24hourcampfire