Home
One night coming home I realized I couldn't see worth a crap! When I got the chance I looked at my headlights thinking one or more was blown. Nope! The lenses were corroded. I tried the whole polish routine but the problem was on the inside of the lens not the outside.

I just installed replacements. $27 from Rock Auto. Two 13mm bolts and a spring clip hold them in. Piece of cake. 2005 Cavalier.

[Linked Image]
Those[old ones] look clear compared to lenses on my 93' GMC. They have an amber look to them nowadays. eek
I polished the lenses on a '91 GMC and made a night and day difference. On my current car, the fogging was on the inside so I had to just replace them. It used to be that you'd have to buy factory replacements that cost more than a set of times but there are very good aftermarket brands now for a fraction of the price.
As long as you don't need to talk to someone, RockAuto is fantastic for parts.
Glad yours was such a simple replacement.

I put a new set in my wife's Honda Odyssey and what a huge difference they make. I had to take the front plastic bumper cover assembly thing off (though only like 6 push-pin things - no socket needed iirc).

I think the total was $78 off $-Bay with free shipping. She's blind as a bat at night so every little bit helps.

Too bad they don't continue making them out of real glass...
Found an easy and cheap way to clean oxidation off lights once they start fogging up...

put a little ATF on a shop rag and scrub them a little bit with a little elbow grease.. you'd be surprised how much it takes off...once they leak and oxidize inside... well any effort is a lost cause...

however let them go too long, eventually replacing is the easiest way.... that is why I just replaced them on the Honda Pilot I got a few years ago...
Brasso works on exterior faded lenses as well.
Used it on the soft top Jeep windows too.
I just use toothpaste to clean the headlights

Don't do it often enough but works pretty well
Wow, the difference is like night and day! whistle
Thought this was a cataract thread. smile

Guess it is in a way.
Originally Posted by Snake River Marksman
One night coming home I realized I couldn't see worth a crap! When I got the chance I looked at my headlights thinking one or more was blown. Nope! The lenses were corroded. I tried the whole polish routine but the problem was on the inside of the lens not the outside.

I just installed replacements. $27 from Rock Auto. Two 13mm bolts and a spring clip hold them in. Piece of cake. 2005 Cavalier.

[Linked Image]

I love threads like this, as I clearly don't have a light fetish............

[Linked Image]
I replace my headlamp assemblies and added silverstar ultras and I had to get 300% more light. Looks good too. I got a set from amazon for 80 bucks for my Tundra. I also put silverstars ultras in the fog assemblies.
Best set of headlights I've ever had were the replacements I put in a 2004 Jetta TDI. I got the replacements off German EBay, and had a GI I knew in Munich send them to me. They had a motorized elevator to raise/lower the beam based on vehicle occupancy (or to piss people off in front of you). More importantly to me, they gave greater side vision. Especially helpful for eyeing deer before they bolted across the road in front of you.

I put the original headlights back in when I sold the Jetta hoping that another would come along that they could be installed in.
I replaced the original sealed beam headlights on my Tacoma 5yrs ago. Somehow they lasted 15yrs w/o going out. It wasn't until driving a much newer truck at work with modern bulbs and reflectors that I realized driving my Tacoma at night was like having two candles in the grill.

Enjoy the renewed driving experience. wink
I have an '87 Bronco II with sealed beams. They're by far the brightest headlights we have. They're far brighter than my Dodge pickup or our Pontiac.
What brand and model?

I think mine are Sylvania, with a +/- 20% brighter than OEM rating. They still don't compete with the new reflector style.
The original lights had gotten to the point that I would do my best to get behind someone so I could use their lights to see ahead. Not an easy thing to do in rural Wyoming at 0300. I just pulled into the parking lot past the car and the new lights look so nice!
Originally Posted by badger

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I bet at a Stop Light, the guy in front of you in his Corolla probably thinks a 747 is getting ready to land on him... grin
Originally Posted by Seafire
Originally Posted by badger

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I bet at a Stop Light, the guy in front of you in his Corolla probably thinks a 747 is getting ready to land on him... grin

I'm very aware of their ability to blind people and am judicious in their use. First setup I've ever had that is almost too bright to use on the Interstate. The bounceback from the reflective signs is pretty rude. They are great for those quiet single lane country roads.
Originally Posted by ironbender
Thought this was a cataract thread. smile

Guess it is in a way.

+1

Me too

+1000 on Rock Auto.

http://www.rockauto.com/

Originally Posted by 325Abn
. She's blind as a bat at night so every little bit helps.

I had that problem really bad. The eye doctor prescribed high does of vitamin A. What an improvement!
I drive a 2000 Blazer for work and hunting...The lights weren't great so I purchased a full set of housings...Headlight, turn signal/fog and taillights.

Kept the factory bulbs in everything but the headlights. I put LED's in there. A world of difference...Even with the light smoke headlights.

I'm thinking, with the technology of today, LED is where it's at. Halogen is great, HID is brighter than the ones I have in there...But they have a bit of a "warmup" time and sometimes don't fire at all.

God said "Let there Be light" and there was light.

PLEASE - tell me that you ALL took the time to aim these replacement headlights properly!
Mis-aimed headlights literally blind us poor blue-eyed folks!
We blue-eyed folk tend to be WAY more light sensitive than others - and mis-aimed headlights hurt! I personally wish the authorities would ban the "blue" lights.

When you replace a headlight - they are not necessarily aimed properly.
Originally Posted by mark shubert
PLEASE - tell me that you ALL took the time to aim these replacement headlights properly!
We blue-eyed folk tend to be WAY more light sensitive than others - and mis-aimed headlights hurt! I personally wish the authorities would ban the "blue" lights.

I'll add my own sentiment to this. If you are one of them that has the bright blueish lights that are blinding whether on brights or dims, I sincerely wish you get a good look at the cow/elk/horse/guardrail you hopefully plow into.
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Originally Posted by mark shubert

I'll add my own sentiment to this. If you are one of them that has the bright blueish lights that are blinding whether on brights or dims, I sincerely wish you get a good look at the cow/elk/horse/guardrail you hopefully plow into.

My sentiments exactly. Tired of being blinded by the damn things.
My low beams are aimed properly, as are the fog lights. Obviously, the high beams and auxiliary lights are aimed for maximum coverage, and I won't use them if there's a chance of blinding someone. There is always the occasional numbnuts that won't dip their lights, or have the cheap blue HID's that scatter light everywhere. I'm not afraid to demonstrate my displeasure by giving them a dose of their own medicine.
Asides from people blinking lights at me, how would I know if the light are aimd properly? Always wondered that.
pull up to the garage door at night turn light on, low and then high

see where the spotlight is, adjust accordingly.
Are those stock replacements or upgrades? Any recommendations for a 2000 F250? I see a lot on Ebay and know they are the same part for 99 to 2004.
Not stock. Gt them from rock auto. Ive gotten a few parts from them. They always fit. What I meant was not oem, probably not an upgrade.
Just ordered some LED bulbs for my 98 Tahoe.

Tired of the HID's. Use my high beams alot, which are factory Halogens. Every time I flip them off the HID's come on when they feel like it. I'm done with them.
Originally Posted by smarquez
Are those stock replacements or upgrades? Any recommendations for a 2000 F250? I see a lot on Ebay and know they are the same part for 99 to 2004.

I got my replacements offa ebay. Great upgrade over factory....

[Linked Image]

and if you really wanna 'light up the night', grab one of those high-powered led lightbars.....

[Linked Image]

A remote HID spotlight can't hurt to have....

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by huntsman22

I got my replacements offa ebay. Great upgrade over factory....

[Linked Image]

and if you really wanna 'light up the night', grab one of those high-powered led lightbars.....

[Linked Image]

A remote HID spotlight can't hurt to have....

[Linked Image]

That's similar to what I was looking at. Did yours come with bulbs? Did you upgrade the bulbs from stock?
it came with regular bulbs and a HID kit. The HID kit has no installation directions and neither me, or my mechanic, could figure out how to hook-up the HID bulbs. So standard they remain.....
it came with regular bulbs and a HID kit. The HID kit has no installation directions and neither me, or my mechanic, could figure out how to hook-up the HID bulbs. So standard they remain.....

Thanks. I did a little research on the HID bulbs and I think there is a converter or relay needed to make them work.

Thanks. I did a little research on the HID bulbs and I think there is a converter or relay needed to make them work.

They need a ballast and an igniter, sometimes those components are combined in one unit. Resistors or bulb out warning cancellers are also required on certain vehicles that actively monitor bulb status to avoid headlight out warnings on the dash.
© 24hourcampfire