Home
Posted By: Longbob Scheels - 03/29/17
Anyone have a Scheels sporting goods store in their area? They are building a monster 300,000 sq ft one in our area and I have never heard of them.

What do you think of them and their prices?
Posted By: Calhoun Re: Scheels - 03/29/17
Yep, they are around here.

They are okay. They are very popular with the youth crowd into cycling/hiking/etc, but they have an okay assortment of hunting and fishing stuff. They do used guns, but their selection basically disappeared after a Cabela's opened in Omaha.

Not anywhere as good as Cabela's or even a Bass Pro, but decent.
Posted By: deflave Re: Scheels - 03/29/17
Love them.

Blows Cabelas and Bass Pro out of the water in comparable sized stores.

Good selections, ok prices. You can find a lot of schit there that you'd otherwise have to buy online.

Good deals on guns can be had in the library and used sections. They will haggle if it's been sitting for a while.

Outstanding customer service too.

Clark
Posted By: Longbob Re: Scheels - 03/29/17
Thanks! I look forward to checking it out after a couple of months past their opening. It will be chaos at first.
Posted By: Gremlin1104 Re: Scheels - 03/29/17
There are two near me. One is small and limited pretty much to clothing items. Until recently they new advertised much either.
The second store, about 75 miles away, is one of what I would call a super store. It is a large, well light, two story building with a wide range of hunting, camping, fishing, biking etc. outdoor equipment (including used and new firearms), clothing and merchandise. The prices are a little on the high side bit I think this reflects their selection and lack of local competition and quality merchandise.
Posted By: deflave Re: Scheels - 03/29/17
The one in Billings has a fugkin' ferris wheel the kids can ride for $1.00.

Dave
Posted By: Calhoun Re: Scheels - 03/29/17
Interesting, our two local one Scheels closed their used gun libraries after Cabela's opened. Used to be very nice, tasteful and with a reasonable selection of guns. Now they each have a single used gun rack with 10 or so rifles on average. While Cabela's has 10-20 times as many used rifles for sale.

Bought some nice guns off them before they cut back, think the last thing interesting I saw was an old Savage 342 in 22 Hornet about 5 years ago.

The Lincoln Store is expanding in a major way with a big addition being built on. Hope they expand the hunting/fishing and not just the clothing/football/soccer/cycling stuff. The Omaha store has a ferris wheel. Yippee.
Posted By: Hammerdown Re: Scheels - 03/29/17
I also think it's a nice store. I'm sure you will like it.
Posted By: kennymauser Re: Scheels - 03/29/17
Clark/Dave/deflave is not exaggerating at all about Scheels. It is a superstore and has everything you need. The customer service is good as needed, and I think the prices are okay.
It not only has a ferris wheel, it has a stuffed possum on display. Only one I have ever seen dead or alive. smile

Ken
Posted By: troutslayer Re: Scheels - 03/29/17
They got good fudge.
Posted By: NEBHUNTER Re: Scheels - 03/29/17
The one in Souix Falls has a great gun dept. Usually never get to the rest of the store
Posted By: CCCC Re: Scheels - 03/29/17
T'was a brief visit, but the Scheels in Billings is a very good store - user friendly, well stocked with variety, decent prices abundance of nicely groomed sales folks and some very good sale prices on selected .22 ammo. They had a nice array of pre-owned rifles. To me, it had a better feel than Cabelas.
Posted By: viking Re: Scheels - 03/29/17
When ever I go back to ND, I always go to the Bismarck store. Best customer service there is.
Posted By: 30338 Re: Scheels - 03/29/17
I've had great luck with Scheels having powder and reloading supplies when I visit the Lincoln, NE store. I'd be happy to have one close.
Posted By: Johnny Dollar Re: Scheels - 03/29/17
Originally Posted by deflave

That's for kids?!?!?!?!?

Well Crap! There goes my weekend.....
Posted By: CCH Re: Scheels - 03/29/17
I was pretty impressed by the one in SLC when we were driving through. Thought prices over all were good, and found some deals. Pretty good selection of hunting gear, but a lot of the square footage is devoted more to athletic stuff. Still, as big as it is, that leaves a lot for hunting. And what's not to like about ferris wheels and president manniquens.
Posted By: old_willys Re: Scheels - 03/29/17

Dave

Only the kids smile
Posted By: Snake River Marksman Re: Scheels - 03/29/17
Does the one in Salt Lake City still have the Arch shaped salt water aquarium in it?
That thing was 10' tall and big enough for a guy to swim in. I know because there was a guy swimming in it! He was cleaning it.
Posted By: Wtxj Re: Scheels - 03/29/17
Originally Posted by Longbob
Anyone have a Scheels sporting goods store in their area? They are building a monster 300,000 sq ft one in our area and I have never heard of them.

Longbob, what town?
Got to see how far the drive is.

I'm west of FW.
Posted By: Ralphie Re: Scheels - 03/29/17
The CS at the Billings store is great. Nice helpful folks but they aren't annoying and they'll leave you alone.

And the guys at the gun counter are always giving my kids tokens for the shooting video games. And I've never bought a gun there.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Scheels - 03/29/17
The one at Coral Ridge Mall in the Midwest Center for Sport and Culture has very few used rifles, but that is normal for Iowa.
Posted By: horse1 Re: Scheels - 03/29/17
The stores are run independently, meaning they're able to order what they need based upon geography and local needs/wants. In ND/MN their fishing dept. is centered around Walleye, Northern Pike/Muskies, and Panfish. In MT, they've got a lot more fly-fishing stuff. Expect the TX store to be heavier on whatever locals fish for in the area.

Same goes for hunting/guns/archery. They'll have a little of everything but will stock up on what's popular locally. Their gun dept will be heavily skewed towards traditional hunting/sporting arms. They sell AR's and Glocks but it won't dominate the gun shop. They train their staff fairly well and being commissioned, they have a vested interest in learning their products. Knot-heads get shaped up or weeded out pretty quickly. VERY conservative and VERY much a "Traditional American Values" company.

I worked for them for about 5yrs through college and greatly enjoyed my time there.
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Scheels - 03/29/17
The Salt Lake one does have that arch fish tank. And a ferris wheel, and lots of animal displays with outstanding taxidermy. And a really decent cafeteria. Oh, and cute displays where you can have your kid pose with a sign that says TROUT or BASS or whatever, and when you get the photo, it shows him/her holding a trophy of that species. And that's free.

Very good fishing department. I didn't look much at the hunting/archery depts, but they are large.
Posted By: Timberlake Re: Scheels - 03/29/17
We have one Scheels store here in Cedar Falls, Iowa, medium sized I'd say. Prices are as one would expect with virtually no competition. Small assortment of used guns. Won't deal on new stuff which helps when dealing with mom and pop stores. Store is well kept and generally well thought of.
Posted By: hanco Re: Scheels - 03/29/17
They aren't in Texas as far as I know.
Posted By: 338rcm Re: Scheels - 03/29/17
They are building one in Colorado now, up by Loveland. The building is Huge!!
Originally Posted by hanco

They are building in the north DFW mess somewhere.
Read about in the paper quite a while ago.
This area is 40 x40 miles so Hope it's within 30 or so miles.
Posted By: DakotaDeer Re: Scheels - 03/29/17
They are the best. Since they have diversified "sports" products, they tend to stay in business during ups-downs.

They are employee-owned and that tends to breed a better customer service attitude. They seem to stay personable and "home-town" even when they get bigger.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Scheels - 03/29/17
Nice good stores, the ones if been in.

A lot of yuppy biker, and golf items, but still good stores.
Originally Posted by Wtxj
Originally Posted by hanco

They are building in the north DFW mess somewhere.
Read about in the paper quite a while ago.
This area is 40 x40 miles so Hope it's within 30 or so miles.

Ok so I got unlazy and looked the new store location up.
The Colony (the town) next to neb furniture mart.
Long drive but I will do it once. Have to drive into the biggest mess in DFW to get there.
The Colony is after I pass BassPro about 20 mile NE.
Posted By: Just a Hunter Re: Scheels - 03/29/17
Price wise they are similar to Cabelas. Of course I am talking about the store near me. They have also been around for a lot longer.
Posted By: DW7 Re: Scheels - 03/29/17
Originally Posted by 338rcm

Gonna have a ferris wheel in it too! Kinda along the lines of dicks Sporting goods with better huntin and fishin selection.
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Scheels - 03/29/17
I've bought a few new and used firearms from the Omaha Scheel's. The new rifles were deeply discounted, less than I could buy them for small dealer wholesale. Like any used guns, you've got to be selective, but if you troll the used gun racks you'll occasionally come up with a good deal. I've bought some excellent used rifles for less than $400.

Longbob, what town?

I'm west of FW.

The Colony. Pick me up on your way through. smile

http://thecolonytx.gov/Documents/20160504ScheelsAnnouncement.pdf

Longbob, what town?

I'm west of FW.

How in the world do you get from Denton to The Colony--

Sure I'll pick you up.

My normal route would be i 30 to 121 and follow that to the that new road that I hope construction is finished on. Through HEB and up.
Posted By: rosco1 Re: Scheels - 03/29/17
I havent been into one, but the one they built south of salt lake looks big enough to put a cabela's inside.
Posted By: curdog4570 Re: Scheels - 03/29/17
I'm about an hour and fifteen minutes from Cabelas going Hwy 114 then South on I35. It would probably take half again that long to make the thirty more miles to the new store considering traffic.

I'll stick with Cabela's I reckon.
Posted By: OrangeOkie Re: Scheels - 03/29/17
I love Scheels and the people who work there. Bought my first varmint rifle and scope from a Scheels in ND.
Posted By: horse1 Re: Scheels - 03/29/17
Originally Posted by DW7

Gonna have a ferris wheel in it too! Kinda along the lines of dicks Sporting goods with better huntin and fishin selection.

Absolutely positively NOTHING like Dick's.
Posted By: 219DW Re: Scheels - 03/29/17
For many years Iowa City, Iowa was our overnight stop on our way home from PD shooting in S.D. We looked forward to eating at the food court in the mall and spending the rest of the evening in Scheels till they closed. They always had several Coopers to drool over and lots of interesting stuff in the gun library. Lots of reloading supplies reasonably priced and competent staff. It's been four years since I've been there, hopefully it hasn't changed.
Dave
Posted By: JSH Re: Scheels - 03/29/17
I like them. The selection of used guns can be lacking at the ones I frequent in Iowa but that is likely due to the trade-ins they have available. I have gotten some killer deals over the years. New prices are retail but not as high as Cabelas or Gander. Good selection of ammo and components and didn't gouge on 22LR when they had it. Good service with friendly employees.
Posted By: seal_billy Re: Scheels - 03/29/17
We don't have one here but I went to the one in Sioux city Iowa. I loved that place. Great prices on ammo. Great selection of guns. Better than the bass pro here. One of the best sporting goods stores I have been to.
Posted By: Just a Hunter Re: Scheels - 03/29/17
The newer Scheels I have been in all have the ferris wheel. I guess something for Mama to do with the kids while we're shopping.
Posted By: hatari Re: Scheels - 03/29/17
The store in Sioux Falls is killer! Huge used gun dept. last time I was there.
Posted By: T_Inman Re: Scheels - 03/29/17
Scheels is a more complete sporting goods store...golf, running, baseball and workout gear, but their hunting/fishing departments are pretty damn good.

Their prices are a little higher than they probably should be, but it is nice to see and hold things before ordering them like you have to do online.

Pretty good alternative to Cabelas and Bass Pro IMO.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Scheels - 03/29/17
Never did like Scheels.

Cant remember why I stopped going, but I did for some reason.
Posted By: Kaiser Norton Re: Scheels - 03/29/17

I live within a 10 block radius of the Fargo ND store. Scheels started as a hardware store (still have one in Fargo) in the region. They were always a mecca when I was a kid, as there were very few gunstores that would have a better selection of guns and ammo. I was a bit disappointed when the opted to go for the AllSports/SuperStore system - I could give a sh*t about that other crap.

They've sold me a bunch of guns over the years - I don't think I've ever bought a bum steer out of the place. Prices can vary from good to vastly overpriced - like anything you need to know value and comparison shop. I can usually buy my reloading components for less than it'd cost to have shipped to my house from any of the big outlets. Clothing is a bit steep, but watch your sales, and cruise the clearance racks religiously.

The local store has really downsized it's reloading selection, mainly due to the availability scare, I'd guess. Ammo is not cheap, but they typically will put the "standard" stuff on sale periocically.

My main peeve, as of late, is their tendency towards economy rifles. Sh*tloads of Savages, and economy offferings from all the manufacturers. Last time in they had two NEW winchester M70s and one NEW Ruger 77. Maybe a half dozen NEW Remington 700s. Otherwise the rifle choices are Tactical, Economy, highend semi-customs (Cooper, Christianson Arms, etc) or used. Caliber choices is standard chamberings - seldom will you see anything with any panache. And someone in their purchasing chain seems to think the world of the 300 RUM....

Plenty of shotgun choices, decent selection of handguns.

Kaiser Norton
Posted By: Owl Re: Scheels - 03/29/17
Sorry to say, NO Scheels in AZ cry
Posted By: DW7 Re: Scheels - 03/29/17
Originally Posted by horse1
Originally Posted by DW7

They both sell soccer balls. Absolutely positively never seen a soccer ball in cabelas or bass pro or sportsmens.

Longbob, what town?

I'm west of FW.

How in the world do you get from Denton to The Colony--

Sure I'll pick you up.

My normal route would be i 30 to 121 and follow that to the that new road that I hope construction is finished on. Through HEB and up.

They won't break ground on the Scheels until sometime in 2018. Hopefully they will finish most of the construction between you and them. I am slightly out of the way. Probably best to meet in Lewisville on your way through then go from there.

Will we need to retain Bob prior to this excursion? shocked
Posted By: Oakster Re: Scheels - 03/29/17
Good prices on their used guns normally.
Posted By: KRAKMT Re: Scheels - 03/30/17
At least at the Billings store, the used guns come with a guarantee or your money back.
I bought a Sako a7 7mm-08 that I could not get to shoot. Took it back and they said it had a gouge in the rifling, they gave me my money back no problem.
Was in on Saturday and the store was very busy, not sure what the deal was but lots of shoppers.
Posted By: Spotshooter Re: Scheels - 03/30/17
Plus 1

They hire people who know about the outdoors as well - remember when Cabelas did that.

Love them.

Blows Cabelas and Bass Pro out of the water in comparable sized stores.

Good selections, ok prices. You can find a lot of schit there that you'd otherwise have to buy online.

Good deals on guns can be had in the library and used sections. They will haggle if it's been sitting for a while.

Outstanding customer service too.

Clark
Posted By: tzone Re: Scheels - 03/30/17
It's one of my favorite outdoor stores in the area. Prices are on the high-average for guns, but they have a nice used guns at decent prices.

Their fishing gear I thought was a bit high, but all that stuff seems to be rising in price.

The times I've been to their stores, they've been helpful and knowledgeable.
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: Scheels - 03/30/17
Scheels is based out of Fargo, ND. There are 3 stores. Two in Fargo and one in Moorhead across the river. The Moorhead store converted to clothing type stuff a few years back. The Fargo 13th ave store converted to hardware/upper end grills etc.

The Fargo 45th street store is the "All Sports" Super Store. If you're not looking for clothes or shoes, head past the Ferris Wheel to the escalator. All the hunting and fishing stuff is on the 2nd level.

As someone said the fishing section is large and catered toward the popular species in our area. In the winter, there will be a huge selection of ice fishing gear. The taxidermy in the store is pretty cool also because it features some nice mounts that were taken locally and it states by whom.

Their is also Scheels Arena which is a multi-purpose venue for hockey tourney's etc. I think they do a lot for the community as well.

I like Scheels WAY better than Cabela's.
Posted By: EdM Re: Scheels - 03/30/17
I have been in the Billings store and it was very good. That said, I will take the former Big R now North 40 Outfitters in Pondaray Idaho or Black Sheep in Coeur d'Alene.
Posted By: luv2safari Re: Scheels - 03/30/17
They are the usual fast-moving merchandise big box type store but with a flair.

Their stores are nice and well stocked with what most people look for, but don't ask for 9.3mm bullets or 16ga ammo. You'll get blank looks from the sales people, who are all well groomed and polite.
Posted By: savage24 Re: Scheels - 03/30/17
We have one on the Kansas side that I have been to 3 or 4 times. I think the only thing I have purchased there is some 22LR ammo when it was hard to find. They are way better than Dick's as an all sports big box store and I like them better than Bass Pro - especially their reloading selection. I still prefer Cabela's as my first choice for big box outdoors stores. My biggest gripe concerning Scheels is the expanded metal covering their handgun display cases. Makes it very hard for me to see what they have for sale.
Posted By: Nebraska Re: Scheels - 03/30/17
Great store for the whole family. Kinda like a Dick's Sporting Goods but with decent prices, selection and products.....
Posted By: deflave Re: Scheels - 03/30/17
Originally Posted by EdM
I have been in the Billings store and it was very good. That said, I will take the former Big R now North 40 Outfitters in Pondaray Idaho or Black Sheep in Coeur d'Alene.

Not if I need a bicycle or a bow setup!

Dave
Posted By: EdM Re: Scheels - 03/30/17
Originally Posted by EdM

Not if I need a bicycle or a bow setup!

Dave

Bicycles??? The rest is well done, particularly Black Sheep.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Scheels - 03/30/17
I always figured that if they did not spend so damn much money on a big stoopid store they could have competitive prices.

I dont like high priced convenience. I could stay home for that.
Posted By: HitnRun Re: Scheels - 03/30/17
I like the Ferris Wheel in the center, especially the guy with no teeth that starts and stops it.
Posted By: deflave Re: Scheels - 03/31/17
Originally Posted by HitnRun
I like the Ferris Wheel in the center, especially the guy with no teeth that starts and stops it.

LMAO.
Posted By: deflave Re: Scheels - 03/31/17
Originally Posted by EdM

Bicycles??? The rest is well done, particularly Black Sheep.

Yeah. Two wheels? A chain and some peddles?

Come on man.

Posted By: tzone Re: Scheels - 03/31/17
Originally Posted by DW7
Originally Posted by DW7

They both sell soccer balls. Absolutely positively never seen a soccer ball in cabelas or bass pro or sportsmens.

I'd pick Scheels 10 x's out of 10 over cabelas or sportsmens. No question about it.
Posted By: Stray Re: Scheels - 03/31/17
No one mentioned the best part: 6 months, no interest, for any purchase totaling $500 or more, plus points towards gift cards. I get into so much trouble...
Posted By: Heym06 Re: Scheels - 03/31/17
The one in Reno is very nice! They make Bass Pro, and Cabela's, look like amatures!
Posted By: Heeler Re: Scheels - 03/31/17
Originally Posted by savage24
We have one on the Kansas side that I have been to 3 or 4 times. I think the only thing I have purchased there is some 22LR ammo when it was hard to find. They are way better than Dick's as an all sports big box store and I like them better than Bass Pro - especially their reloading selection. I still prefer Cabela's as my first choice for big box outdoors stores. My biggest gripe concerning Scheels is the expanded metal covering their handgun display cases. Makes it very hard for me to see what they have for sale.

I was in there the other night. This Scheels sells Hoyt and Mathews bows.
Posted By: HitnRun Re: Scheels - 03/31/17
Originally Posted by Heym06
The one in Reno is very nice! They make Bass Pro, and Cabela's, look like amatures!

You might want to get your eyes checked. What self respecting guy would go to a sporting goods store where teen age girls shop and they sell soccer balls, roller blades and hacky sacks?
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: Scheels - 03/31/17
Originally Posted by tzone
Originally Posted by DW7
Originally Posted by DW7

I'd pick Scheels 10 x's out of 10 over cabelas or sportsmens. No question about it.

Gander just flat out sucks! How the one in Fargo stays open is beyond me. I've never seen more than 5 people in there at a time. Ever.
Originally Posted by Stray
No one mentioned the best part: 6 months, no interest, for any purchase totaling $500 or more, plus points towards gift cards. I get into so much trouble...

I do to. eek

I currently have 4 gift cards in my wallet
Originally Posted by HitnRun

TFF

The next time I see the hot chick running it, I'm calling her a carny
© 24hourcampfire