Home
95% of my mowing is with a garden tractor but I have some small areas where the tractor is a real PIA to maneuver. I need to get a push mower. Has any had experience with the battery operated electrics? I had a corded one many years ago that worked fine but I haven't tried one of the new ones.
they sure work great on tv....lol
I don't know much about them but I would be inclined to buy something with an engine.

I'd save your money......I bought one of these 7 yrs ago

for tight spots around yard....still use it...1-2 pulls in

the spring after winter storage...been a good one......

https://www.amazon.com/Lawn-Boy-177...&sr=1-1&keywords=lawn+boy+mowers
I'm not old enough to use one of those.
I'd just get a line trimmer if the areas are small. The new cordless ones seem pretty nice.

If you need a mower, I'd skip the electric.
That's what I do (line trimmer), but I don't know HOW big your PIA areas are.
In my opinion, you'd be better off with a cheap, gasoline mower.

They sell some decent ones for under a buck fifty.
Most of it is my front lawn which is only 1000 sq ft with a deck and lots of flowers. A line trimmer wouldn't work well. I use my tractor for the big back yard and orchard.

So far, no one has responded who has actually used one. The reviews on them are actually pretty good unless the writer is trying to use one to mow a pasture.
We had a cordless at our old place. It sucked. If you (in my case the wife) forgot to plug it in or unplugged it, it was a day before you could mow. That's a problem here in the Spring when it rains 6 days out of 7 and the grass is growing an inch a day. Even when charged it was barely enough to mow our very small yard. With wet grass or long grass I sometimes couldn't get through the whole lawn.

It didn't have a trickle charger so I was constantly concerned about over charging it.

Get a cheap small gas one. Instant power any time.
This one was bought about 8 years ago, so the tech may have improved. But I'd still shy away.
My neighbor had one. Piece of cshit.
Battery operated tools have improved dramatically in recent years, especially since the invention of the lithium batteries. I wouldn't be without my battery drill and recip saw. I was wondering if the new tech has reached the lawn mowers yet. Models from even 5 years ago were crap but the way that tech has improved, things have changed a lot.
20+ years back we went from cutting acres to having a small yard I sold the rider and started using cordless electric mowers. After a couple of ok mowers I now have IMHO the best there is a EGO mower with a 56V Lithium ION.

Why is it the best?

With 56V it has the power of a 3.5 HP gas mover.
It will cut the yard several times before needing a recharge.
The battery pops right out and is easy to put on charger
Super easy 1 handle height adjustment.
It will fold in half and sit upright, takes very little room in the garage.

The Wife loves it and cuts all the grass her self! I have not had to bother with cutting grass in years!!
Originally Posted by old_willys
20+ years back we went from cutting acres to having a small yard I sold the rider and started using cordless electric mowers. After a couple of ok mowers I now have IMHO the best there is a EGO mower with a 56V Lithium ION.

Why is it the best?

With 56V there is has the power of a 3.5 HP gas mover.
will cut the yard several times before needing a recharge.
The battery pops right out and is easy to put one charge
Super easy 1 handle height adjustment.
It will fold in half and sit upright, takes very little room in the garage.

The Wife loves it and cuts all the grass her self! I have not had to bother with cutting grass in 10 years!!

Well now, if it comes with a way to get the wife to mow the lawn - then I need to look into one.
I got a kick out of a review I read for a Greenworks mower at Lowes. The guy rated it very high and said he's bought 10 of them, 4 in the last year. He didn't say what he was doing with them.
watch the replacement cost of the power unit. sometimes the cost for the battery alone exceeds the cost of the whole machine!
i use battery powered everything being off grid. so far i like the new Makita's the best. the down side is a 17 inch cutting head. i went from 1 acre lawn to a 500 sq ft lawn recently and it works. best thing is the wife can mow and not wake me up from my 1st nap grin !
I did have a battery fail after 2 years, EGO was super easy to work with and send a free replacement no questions asked.

Another great product is their Blower rated best in the industry and uses the same battery type. I was able to order just the blower and use my mower battery / charger.

The only down side of the Blower is the wife thinks it is too powerful. Claims she didn’t see the neighbor walking over to say hi and the blower nearly knocked him over when she turned around smile
Stopped using one after the batteries started being a pain. Do not let the grass get too high between cuttings. Always had to make sure the battery was charged. Got a second battery to keep hot and just in case I needed more power to finish cutting. Batteries are costly. I used a gas mower now.
Originally Posted by deerstalker
watch the replacement cost of the power unit. sometimes the cost for the battery alone exceeds the cost of the whole machine!
i use battery powered everything being off grid. so far i like the new Makita's the best. the down side is a 17 inch cutting head. i went from 1 acre lawn to a 500 sq ft lawn recently and it works. best thing is the wife can mow and not wake me up from my 1st nap grin !

When I was looking for my mower most were 17" but the EGO has 20" and a self propelled 21" model.
Interesting thread.... The wife & I are talking about a cordless electric mower for some small areas that are a pain with a lawn tractor. So far I've discovered that in the last few years the lithium ion stuff has supposedly improved but I have no personal experience to back that up. Currently looking at a small lithium ion powered Stihl chain saw; I hear those are great for small stuff and trimming. Gonna start looking a bit closer at some of those mowers too.

The new lithium battery powered tools are pretty impressive especially in the higher voltages but the better brands are quite pricey compared to like gas and corded power equipment.

A while back I watched an employee of a local hardware store zip right through a piece of galvanized pipe like a hot knife slicing butter with a new lithium battery 40 volt Stihl cutoff saw. He said since his store stared stocking them he became a believer.

I believe if I were planning on buying a battery powered lawn mower I would have to go with the highest voltage lithium battery I could afford with 40 volts being the very minimum.

A 56V, 5ah battery for a Greenworks mower costs $200. It's the biggest battery they sell and their mowers don't come with it. The mowers I looked at come with a 4 ah battery which is in the $150 range.
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
A 56V, 5ah battery for a Greenworks mower costs $200. It's the biggest battery they sell and their mowers don't come with it. The mowers I looked at come with a 4 ah battery which is in the $150 range.

Amazon is showing a 80 volt 4ah "GreenWorks" push lawn mower with charger and battery $499 & free shipping: https://www.amazon.com/GreenWorks-G...mp;psc=1&refRID=1D8M8QJ2NP9KD45VGGW7

My mistake. I said 56v, but it's a 60v.
I looked at it at Lowes. They don't carry the 80v, just 60 and smaller. Their 60v is 399.

Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
My mistake. I said 56v, but it's a 60v.
I looked at it at Lowes. They don't carry the 80v, just 60 and smaller. Their 60v is 399.

Amazon is showing some EGO brand 56 volt battery lawn mowers in models with up to 7.5 ah. They get pretty pricey too just for a push mower.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FAW5HXW/ref=psdc_4543152011_t3_B01DPH08BU

DeWalt now has a 40V string trimmer, and also a 40V chainsaw. Since these big Lithium Ion batteries are so expensive, it may make sense to look for a brand that would allow the battery to be used on multiple tools, not just the mower. DeWalt is pushing a "flexvolt" system that has 40V & 60v tools.
These mowers are very low maintenance. No oil change, no gas cans, just sharpen the blade once in a while. To winterize one, just clean it up and hang it on the wall. Charge the battery a couple times during the winter to keep it topped off.
© 24hourcampfire