Home
http://nypost.com/2017/04/20/clueless-trucker-drags-car-for-miles-after-crash/
My wife was 'drug' by a logging truck for 2-300 yards several years ago. Driver apparently shifted from left lane to right lane while she was there. Some of the metal rigging on the pony trailer ripped into and attached itself to the car. After bouncing across several curbs along the sidewalk they finally broke free.
To this day she is horrified to ride alongside an 18 wheeler.
I've been lucky....come within 1 foot of being right where he was.....dang he is lucky!
Raeford, Thank god your wife is ok. I too won't travel next to an 18 wheeler or logging truck. I won't pass a big truck unless I can pass it completely. Around here most of the truck drivers have towel on their head and can't even brush their tooth let alone safely drive a big rig.
Originally Posted by Raeford
My wife was 'drug' by a logging truck for 2-300 yards several years ago. Driver apparently shifted from left lane to right lane while she was there. Some of the metal rigging on the pony trailer ripped into and attached itself to the car. After bouncing across several curbs along the sidewalk they finally broke free.

We all should be.
Don't know who got the trucker's attention, but hope someone got involved.
We have these big shiny things called mirrors on the outside of our big trucks, they are about 22 inches high.
I guess this driver never heard of 'em.
Good Lord, I am checking my mirrors about every 3 seconds while driving down the road.

This driver is so inept, he must have been stoned or drunk.
Random drug tests have weeded out most of the dopers and drunks but this guy has slipped through the cracks, until today.
How in the world did that trucker not see the car in his side mirror? There's no way he could have missed it?
Happened here in WV and he killed the fellow in the vehicle. Driver was a Ukranian
And the CHP says there was nothing criminal about that.

Dude.......
I don't like passing big trucks at all
Holy cow, how could you not notice!
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
We have these big shiny things called mirrors on the outside of our big trucks, they are about 22 inches high.
Good Lord, I am checking my mirrors about every 3 seconds while driving down the road.

Random drug tests have weeded out most of the dopers and drunks but this guy has slipped through the cracks, until today.

I know I'm weird, but I believe the driver knew the car was there and enjoyed the experience. Then when it's obvious to others he claims, "I didn't know..." whistle
Originally Posted by FreeMe
And the CHP says there was nothing criminal about that.

Dude.......

At least the guy in the car didn't leave the scene of the accident. crazy
Originally Posted by hanco

Same here. If I pass one, I do it right smartly, get around him without delay. I will not run alongside one for any reason, if I have to slow down to avoid it , that's what I'll do.
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Raeford, Thank god your wife is ok. I too won't travel next to an 18 wheeler or logging truck. I won't pass a big truck unless I can pass it completely. Around here most of the truck drivers have towel on their head and can't even brush their tooth let alone safely drive a big rig.

I am sure you are referring to all the Trucks driven with BC plates, by Pakis and other Ragheads....I 5 is a zoo with them in spots...
And when I went to the Campfire Rondy down in AZ in February, there was that Mexican who had an illegal license from CA who didn't want to stop where they were doing road construction... had it down to one lane with a Pilot car on old US 95....

Hit 5 or 6 parked cars...at the site was told he killed 5 people and then Wageslave posted an article about it saying the death toll was like 3....

Driver was here illegally.. and had spent jail time for doing the same thing once or twice before...

not to insult the truckers on the campfire, but there are plenty of places our highways aren't safe because of the lax enforcement of traffic laws on these truckers any more...
especially all the foreign ones...

and most truckers aren't the courteous drivers on the highways of this nation 40 and 50 years ago...
mean while up in Newfoundland, Canada....

huge Iceberg off the shore....

http://nypost.com/video/massive-iceberg-stops-canada-tourists-in-their-tracks/
One of our Techs, just missed becoming a pancake, when a rolling flatbed semi, lost his load of a piece of heavy earth moving equipment. Chains snapped, and the piece rolled off the trailer in a construction zone. 4 lanes were narrowed to two already, and the crash closed it all down.
He was just past it, when it happened.
Had one force me into the median when he decided to move into the left lane without looking.
My dad was stopped at a stoplight one evening when a lady in a Cadillac drove right through him. He hit the hood, the top and then the trunk of the car before hitting the ground. He was wearing a helmet (this was in the 60s) and it was cracked, but other than being very sore, he was ok. When the police caught up with her early the next morning - she vehemently denied everything. She changed her mind when they found his motorcycle still embedded in her Caddy's grill. She was drunk.

This!
Originally Posted by Seafire

I am sure you are referring to all the Trucks driven with BC plates, by Pakis and other Ragheads....I 5 is a zoo with them in spots...

Yep. Canadian truck drivers must be required to wear flip flops at all times while on duty.

But that also goes for the middle aged logging truck drivers on the coast that hate their job but want to make quick turns to the mill or add an extra log or three. 😉
Had a Kenworth change lanes on me in Southern Cal. I tried to accelerate past him but he caught me just behind the left rear wheel and spun me in front of him and pushed me sideways about 50 yards. Nothing like a Kenworth grilll against your ear and waiting for him to roll over you.
Just glad KW cabovers have a low mounted bumper
Wouldn't try defend a trucker with out knowing them or exactly what happened. But I've seen many a car/pickup drives for very stupid and dangers stuff around big trucks so ..... And those that have stated they pass a big truck with out delay and not drive along side is absolutely the thing to do. There is theses things called blind spots.
I went up against a fully loaded Mac logging truck and lost. Luckily I cranked the wheel away from the drop off at the last second and he pushed me into the mountain instead of off it.

Blind corner and was nobody's fault. Just wrong place wrong time.
My SIL, her husband, and whole family had a similar deal. Were just passing a big rig and he changed lanes. Caught the rear end of their mini van and they got the ride of their lives. Several miles pushed by the truck. He finally stopped, thinking he 'might have a flat'. Miracle they weren't all killed.

I hate passing trucks. Try to do it as quick as possible. Aside from minimizing the time in the 'kill zone', it probably doesn't matter...if the lane change happens you're certainly going to obtain some level of FUBAR.
The thing that gets me is how'd the trucker even get that far without folks flagging him down?

All those prior folks just driving on by, unbelievable.

Nailed it. Or they are from Mexico and since their vehicle is bigger that means they have the right of way.
Originally Posted by RyanTX
How in the world did that trucker not see the car in his side mirror? There's no way he could have missed it?

Mexican. They dont use blinkers or mirrors. Dont want to wear them out.
Originally Posted by Tracks
Had a Kenworth change lanes on me in Southern Cal. I tried to accelerate past him but he caught me just behind the left rear wheel and spun me in front of him and pushed me sideways about 50 yards. Nothing like a Kenworth grilll against your ear and waiting for him to roll over you.
Just glad KW cabovers have a low mounted bumper

Dayom. Unreal.
Yep, you never know who is behind the wheel and how sleep deprived he is. Hopefully electronic logs will lessen the sleep deprivation issue. But you still don't know who he is and how good his skills are. People in cars do a lot of stupid stuff around trucks too. And I mean a lot of stupid stuff. One of the most dangerous things is they hang out in your blind spot. Even worse is when they do it in the rain with no lights on. You simply can't see them, especially with the road spray. Everyone always wants to blame the truck when an accident happens, but in a lot of cases, the car driver caused it. 4000 lbs. is no match for 80000 lbs. and people aren't aware of it and take trucks and their drivers for granted.

In this case however, the guy's a dipschit for not knowing it.
Exactly...

I cannot believe that dolt did not check his mirror - AT ALL, apparently.. What a frickin' IDIOT...
I just showed this to a couple of my drivers and we got a good laugh. The first thing out of their mouths was "How the hell didn't he know it? Doesn't he look in his mirrors?"

After watching it again, it appears that the dumbschit in the car slammed pretty hard into the back of the truck.
fuggin truckie ran a stop sign here Thurs. killed a man another brain dead idiot trucker
I came really close to it one time. I was in the far right lane on a 4 lane highway. A semi passed me then moved back to the right lane. However, when he did it, his rears were even with my driver door. I was able to avoid him but was on the shoulder to do it.
One time one of my drivers was on his bike and passing a truck in the left lane and the guy came over on him and pushed him into the median. He laid on the horn and the guy went back over and let him back on the road. He said he didn't know his Harley was a dirt bike also.
Originally Posted by jnyork

Same here. If I pass one, I do it right smartly, get around him without delay. I will not run alongside one for any reason, if I have to slow down to avoid it , that's what I'll do.

I don't even like driving beside other cars on the interstate, let alone trucks. Even if the driver is competent, there's less room to maneuver. An animal running across the road, a thrown tire tread, and and it's much harder to avoid the accident, if someone is right next to you. I do not get these clowns who think they should creeepppp past a truck taking two miles to pass him.

The great majority of truckers are professional and safe. The ones that aren't stand out like a sore thumb.
Originally Posted by StoneCutter
I just showed this to a couple of my drivers and we got a good laugh. The first thing out of their mouths was "How the hell didn't he know it? Doesn't he look in his mirrors?"

After watching it again, it appears that the dumbschit in the car slammed pretty hard into the back of the truck.

Maybe, but he was hanging all over the driver's side - and far enough back to NOT be in the "blind spot"
Originally Posted by mark shubert
Originally Posted by StoneCutter

Maybe, but he was hanging all over the driver's side - and far enough back to NOT be in the "blind spot"

Not to mention that the drag that car put on the truck since its wheels were sideways, how could he not notice that?
That's a pretty severe grade over Cajon summit, so he would have been pulling hard anyway.
Still I don't believe he didn't know, likely just didn't give a damn.
I went up against a fully loaded Mac logging truck and lost. Luckily I cranked the wheel away from the drop off at the last second and he pushed me into the mountain instead of off it.

Blind corner and was nobody's fault. Just wrong place wrong time.

One of my best friends went around a blind curve and slammed into the rear of a logging truck. The crash took his head right off. Happened in Oregon in the mid '70's. He was 21 years old. Another friend was was in the passenger seat and got messed up but lived. He drank himself to death a few years later.
Sensationalism... car wasn't dragged for miles, was less than 3/4's of a mile... case of a small vehicle driving in the blind-spot of a semi and not advancing but just cruising alongside the truck and probably not even paying attention!

And the trucker probably taking too long to decide to finally change lanes waiting to the last moment, then relying on just his mirrors with a quick glance before starting his lane change.

No one was hurt and no one was detained. Driver was a 60 year old white man by the sound of his name.

Not sure of the exact area, just a couple miles up from the house, but construction has been going on in the area adding a couple truck only lanes climbing the pass, not sure where that stands at right now.

Phil
I spent the last six years of my working life in a 26 wheel truck seldom with a gross weight under 100,000 pounds. Over half that time in two land roads and mountain passes in the US and Canada. Most of that time was spent trying to keep from killing idiots in small cars. I am grateful I never had an accident or a moving violation but it was a full time job requiring 100% concentration. There are people out there driving who should not be permitted to even ride in a car. But there are just as many truck drivers who should never be allowed to sit on a tricycle. I am glad I no longer do that job.
If any of you guys live in Vancouver, Washington you may remember this one. Long about 1985-1988 someone tried to beat a semi at an on ramp. Some how the car got sideways in front of the truck and was pushed about a mile to the next off ramp. the skid marks lasted for weeks. At fifty-five miles per hour it took about a minute to drive the length of the skid marks. I figure after the initial scare the guy had time to get down to some real serious fright.

Another one was when I my dad used to drive. He was riding this time. He told me about a little sports car that came up beside the bed and matched the speed of the truck. It seemed once he was sure of the matched speed he drifted under the bed and back out. When the driver saw him drifting over again he started to slow down to prevent an accident. The sports car driver apparently didn't notice and got run over by the rear tires. My dad never drove again.
Apparently this motorcycle rider misjudged a semi's speed and rear ended the trailer. It planted his face in the door and his body was dragged for miles before a motorist got the truckers attention.

http://www.larrysfunnybone.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/144A98CFA0DD463FB60AFC7C84167A934.jpg

Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
Originally Posted by jnyork

I don't even like driving beside other cars on the interstate, let alone trucks. Even if the driver is competent, there's less room to maneuver. An animal running across the road, a thrown tire tread, and and it's much harder to avoid the accident, if someone is right next to you. I do not get these clowns who think they should creeepppp past a truck taking two miles to pass him.

The great majority of truckers are professional and safe. The ones that aren't stand out like a sore thumb.

After seeing all those "gators" sitting by the road, I really don't want to be next to a big truck when one of those lets go. Was about to pass a P/U truck, when he blew out the left front tire. It came off and hit my bumper and flew over the cab - lucky. The truck then did a sharp left right in front of me (I braked when the tire blew) and went into the median, did stay upright. When I pass semis I try to go at least 10 or more miles an hour faster to pass quickly.
Originally Posted by Prwlr
When I pass semis I try to go at least 10 or more miles an hour faster to pass quickly.

It seems once in a while some of the drivers are afraid to pass a truck so they slow down from the speed limit to a couple miles per hour faster than the truck. Some times there are a dozen cars piled up behind them.
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by Raeford

We all should be.

Yep

Get the h@ll around the trucks! I used to travel 500-1,500 miles a week in my business and noticed that women tended to get in next to trucks and stay there. Their minds were no doubt anywhere but in the car and on the road.

There's hardly a more dangerous place on the road than next to a big rig and ahead of the trailer wheels. eek
This is fake news. It was reported later it was actually a commercial for Progressive Insurance and Firestone tires. The Mexican in the car was yelling at the guy to stop filming and move away from his car, as the scene was totally ruined by the nosey driver with the camera.
Originally Posted by HitnRun
This is fake news. It was reported later it was actually a commercial for Progressive Insurance and Firestone tires. The Mexican in the car was yelling at the guy to stop filming and move away from his car, as the scene was totally ruined by the nosey driver with the camera.

On an open road? Hardly likely.....
© 24hourcampfire