Home
Sure there's the ubiquitous Toyota Taco, the Leopold scopes, and Garand rifles, but I was pleasantly surprised this spring by a cheap Toro push type lawn mower from Home Depot.

It is about five years old, only had the oil changed a couple times, runs on 87 octane regular w/ ethanol, and got horribly neglected this winter.

I last mowed the lawn around Thanksgiving. Next thing I noticed was the lawn mower under a foot of snow, then two feet. Then we had to shovel the roof of the house and the mower was buried under a full six feet of snow and ice. I really expected to buy a new mower this year.

After the snow all went away, and the grass started growing, I stepped out, checked the oil, added some gass, and started the engine on the first pull. Pleasantly surprised is an understatement.
A neighbor had an old Toro mower he bought at a garage sale for cheep. He was trying to kill it so he'd have an excuse with the wife to buy a new one. He loaned it to me one afternoon and was pretty unhappy when i returned it full of fresh oil. I didn't realize he was trying to kill it until he started cussing about how now, it would never die.
Honda 300 Fourtrax 4x4

1999 Dodge 4x4 5 speed w/Cummins

Bobcat 753 skidsteer

New Balance tennis shoes
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Sure there's the ubiquitous Toyota Taco, the Leopold scopes, and Garand rifles, but I was pleasantly surprised this spring by a cheap Toro push type lawn mower from Home Depot.

It is about five years old, only had the oil changed a couple times, runs on 87 octane regular w/ ethanol, and got horribly neglected this winter.

I last mowed the lawn around Thanksgiving. Next thing I noticed was the lawn mower under a foot of snow, then two feet. Then we had to shovel the roof of the house and the mower was buried under a full six feet of snow and ice. I really expected to buy a new mower this year.

After the snow all went away, and the grass started growing, I stepped out, checked the oil, added some gass, and started the engine on the first pull. Pleasantly surprised is an understatement.

I got a Toro from Home Depot years ago, and it just keeps on working.
I mowed our yard in Anchorage for five years with a Honda Mower with a badly bent crank. I had to put a bend in the blade hub area to compensate.

Pre-powerstroke stickshift solid axle diesel ford pickups...

$15 Kershaw fillet knives (orange stripes on handle) - I've not found better.

Big girls. - They go and go
Cee-Tee pliers.
2 stroke lawnboy mowers. paid 25 bucks for it 30 years ago. i literally ran 2 sets of wheels off of mine. got a freebie out of somebodies garbage and did a carb and cable/linkage/wheel swap and ran it for about 10 years afterwards. it was still running when i gave it to a buddy. i hope my honda does half as well but i kind of doubt it.
Don't have time to do this story justice, but twenty some years ago I had a Pontiac Parisienne, GM corporate 5.0 liter The catalytic converter was clogging, but I hadn't quite figured that out yet. I towed a heavy U-haul up the mountain behind Uniontown, PA (long, pretty steep hill) on a hot day, had to drop to first gear, barely going 10 mph, valve train literally sounded like silverware in a garbage disposal, temperature gauge pegged high. Long, long, way, up and two more similar hills after that. Top of the hill, down the other side, temp comes back down, engine quiets up, no problemo.

Put probably another 30K miles on that car, never fixed anything on the motor. Automobile magazine once said about those first GM downsized fullsize cars, "They'll run bad longer than most cars will run".
Sure there's the ubiquitous Toyota Taco, the Leopold scopes...

🤣

Leupold should include a small ball pein hammer with every scope. And don't use the Long Range Target Scope... for long range target shooting either.
Mauser rifles...
Had a Snapper and Toro push mower(10+years each) and the decks rusted thru before anything mechanical happened. And that is even after washing thourlly after. My newest Toro has an aluminum deck with a Mexican engine hope it holds up as well.

Mossberg shotguns sure hold up.
I have an old craftsman cordless drill I think it a 9.6 volt that my wife gave me 18 years ago.

The old Penn 109, 209 and 309 series of reels.

Scotty electric downriggers.

Glock pistols.

2000 era Chevy trucks and the 5.3.

Old console TVs.

Anything manufactured before 1970.

4-71 wins hands down.
Originally Posted by Calvin
4-71 wins hands down.

Yes!

Is that what you have in the Glory?
Yes. The fleet still uses them extensively. I'm at 15k+ hours on mine, expect at least another 10k before rebuild. I'm addicted to the hum..
Akubra hats

Barbour waxed jackets

HK pistols

Ruger automatic .22 pistols and 10/22s
4-71 wins hands down.

Sounds like it might be an engine of some kind? Please elaborate.
Yeah great engines. The low rhythmic hum always makes me sleepy. 😁
4-71 wins hands down.

Sounds like it might be an engine of some kind? Please elaborate.

It's a inline 4 cylinder Detroit diesel. Very common in boats and about as reliazble and bulletproof as one can get. They sip the fuel and just keep working. Calvin can tell you more than I can since I've driven plenty but I've never owned one.

I ran a Toro for 23 yrs and finally killed it two years ago by pure neglect. Bought a Snapper to replace it and it's the worst purchase I've made in my lifetime. Bought a 1999 Ford Taurus new in '99 and though it looks like a very well used pinata after three boys learned to drive in it, the beast keeps on going even two years after the oldest son ran it with only one quart of the required 5 quarts of oil in it. Last year I replaced the starter and alternator, everything else besides brakes, plugs and shocks are original.
The eleven horse Honda motor on my twenty year old power washer. Full choke and two pulls and away you go. The CAT on it pump is just as good.
RUGER Single Action revolvers like the BlackHawk and Single Six models.
Also any model Glock pistol.
Originally Posted by viking
Cee-Tee pliers.

Have not heard of or seen a Cee Tee in years, but I have been off the farm for years.
Tilley hats, Buck 110 folders, Davis weather stations, HP printers, and Timex watches, for starters.

Those in addition to the great items mentioned above.
Hammer
Originally Posted by Remington6MM
Hammer

That's cheating.

Screwdriver. 😁
A Husqvarna self propelled lawn mower that I abused beyond belief. Left it outside in a shed in Vermont winters, and it always started the next spring. Used it 6 years in Vermont, and took it to Cincinnati Ohio when we moved, and used it another 5 years there, and sold it with the house when we left there for Florida, and it was still working like the day I bought it, and all I did was change the oil every Spring. Damn good mower!
Abuse is a relative term but Carhart pants are likely my #1...
Originally Posted by GregW

Older Carharts. I've worn through and sent back 8 pair in the last year. Their quality has gone down but they're customer service is great.
I have something I abuse all the time. Still works when I need it.

Carhartt coats

Channel Lock fencing pliars

Honda FourTrax and Foreman wheelers

Ithaca 37 pump shotguns

Apple Gen2 iPad

English Cocker and Brittany Spaniels

John Deere 4020 diesel tractor

Murray mower from Wally's, I got mine from a neighbor used for a year or two, for $50. Use it all the time and haven't changed the oil in 3 years or so, just topp it off, add a little Marvel Mystery Oil. it gets a shot of Sta-bil storage in the winter, when I come back in the spring it starts right up. I run over gopher mounds, sticks from the locust trees, everything. Finally turned it over and took blade off to sharpen it, flooding engine while it was on its side, put back together, pulled a few times to get gas out of system and off and running again.

Most Buck knives I have owned, same with CRKT. Ol Mitchell reels,

And of course, our toyotas.

Maybe most stuff I don't "abuse" but we don't baby thinigs either.

Geno
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Originally Posted by GregW

Older Carharts. I've worn through and sent back 8 pair in the last year. Their quality has gone down but they're customer service is great.

Weird...
I only buy double fronted and they all are good.
[/quote]

It's an inline 4 cylinder Detroit diesel. Very common in boats and about as reliable and bulletproof as one can get. They sip the fuel and just keep working. Calvin can tell you more than I can since I've driven plenty but I've never owned one. [/quote]

Fixed it

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Detroit_Diesel_Series_71
3000 and 5000 model Ford tractors, especially the 5000's.

Someone else mentioned a 4020 JD, beat me to the punch.

My Remington 511 22 rifle.

Remington 870 pumps.
870 pumps, Bergin saddles & Timex watch.
Ambassador reels
magnum condoms

they make a great rain hat. blush
John Bean spray pump.

Late 1800's design that still works better than anything else they've come up with. The Honda motor is a close second.

[Linked Image]
Browning BLR Model 81
Ford 300ci straight 6
GM 400 small block
Buck 110
original Mag Light
old ATT telephones
Coleman lanterns
Amen on the 4020 JD. I have one just outside the door. 50 years old and still going strong. Miserly use of diesel if not working it hard.

Add to the list the Ford 8N. I just sent a 1950 model over to my son's place to use on his seven acres and for pushing snow next winter.

Darned near seventy years old, and it purrs like a kitten. A guy can rebuild em in the garage at minimal cost. We did this one about twenty five years ago.
Shakespeare Ugly Stix fishing rods. Tough to wear one out and cheap too!
Amen on the 4020 JD. I have one just outside the door. 50 years old and still going strong. Miserly use of diesel if not working it hard.

We've still have two JD 4020's. Ones diesel and the other ones a propane model. Still going too. Just like the energizer bunny!
Mauser 98.

Yamaha Bravo snow machine - Mine is a '93. Other than belts and plugs, last year for the first time I put about $1,000 into it - used track, shocks, and bearings.. Now I have to recover the seat... Them 3 layers of Gorilla Tape only lasted 2 years.... smile

My landlord refers to it as "The Toolbox" - a reference to it's suspension.... smile

Don't have one, but the AC Bearcat seems to be another one.
Yup ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
Mauser 98

^^^^this^^^^

[Linked Image]
blanket beat me to it. Still got the ambassador 5000 and it's leather case that my dad gave me 45 years ago.

Have used up all the spare parts that came with it and now it needs rebuilt again, but it's under warranty for life.
Fluke Multimeters.

Ruger six shooters, as mentioned.

Snap On tool boxes. Everyone finally caught up, but mine is old and used daily and was about the best you could get when purchased.
My 16/48 Allweld and 40 HP Ymaha Jetdrive has been used like hell since 1988

I use it like a 4x4 on water lol

[Linked Image]
Bought a little red push mower from TSC in 1990. Little Briggs engine on it. Changed oil on it a total of one (1) time in all these years. It only has 3 wheels left and the original blades have never been removed. Even sat outside for a couple of winters.

Without fail, that thing will start up on the 2nd pull after priming the bulb 5 times no matter how long it sits. It's crazy.

It proceeds my wife by 13 years and she will not let me buy a new one. It's become kind of a game to see how long it goes.
In 1993 I changed an oil pan gasket on my 1983 Taco 4x4 stakebed a week before leaving Houston to drive to Tucson to pick up my Dad and go deer hunting on a ranch about 10 miles outside of Tombstone. Took the oil pan down and found all the thrust bearings at the bottom of the oil pan. No time to do anything but grit my teeth and go for it. Made it to Tucson, hunted a week, drove back to Houston and used as my daily driver for 5 more months before I had one of those 30,000 mile Jap engines installed. I now own a Jeep Cherokee (daily driver), a fairly new Tundra (30,000 miles on it) serves as my travel/hunting truck but I still keep my 4x4 Taco for when its time to go where no man has ever gone in the desert.

George
I have a little Husky chainsaw that's gotta be at least 25 years old. I've never touched it...it's even running the original spark plug....but it runs every time I ask it too.

Also have a Stihl line trimmer that by all right should have died from abuse a long time ago but it still starts on the second pull every time. Matter of fact...I used it for a couple of hours this morning.

Taco's are a given but I'll add CZ rifles, early JM Marlins, older Buck and Schrade knives, Stormy Cromer hats, and Filson Wool to the list of indestructible's.
Originally Posted by viking
Cee-Tee pliers.

Channel lock pliers too.
Originally Posted by Salmonella

^^^^this^^^^

[Linked Image]

I've got 3 and between them almost a million miles. 👍

Yours is just getting broken in. 😉
So far, after a healthy bit if use, this $100 toy has been a dream.

[Linked Image]

Push mower?????

Lmao

Anything around here that could be "push mowed" gets blasted with 60psi of roundup. Fugga bunch o push mowing.

My 1981, copper wound Miller Big 40 welding machine, powered by a flathead Continental Red Seal engine.

Iron Kohler "one lungers"

Iron Wisconsin "One Lungers"

American made Victor "Super Journeyman" Oxy-Acetylene Torches and regulators.

Canadian / French built "Air Liquide" torches.

My Marlin 39A.

Long day,...and I could go on for hours.

....rather go fix supper.

GTC
Originally Posted by rem141r
2 stroke lawnboy mowers. paid 25 bucks for it 30 years ago. i literally ran 2 sets of wheels off of mine. got a freebie out of somebodies garbage and did a carb and cable/linkage/wheel swap and ran it for about 10 years afterwards. it was still running when i gave it to a buddy. i hope my honda does half as well but i kind of doubt it.

+100! We had one when I was growing up in the 80s, and my folks volunteered my mowing services to about everyone in the southern end of the county. I tried like heck to kill the thing but never could. Of course that is exactly what I bought when I got out on my own.
Originally Posted by slumlord
Push mower?????

Lmao

Anything around here that could be "push mowed" gets blasted with 60psi of roundup. Fugga bunch o push mowing.

I agree. A Hustler zero turn does the mowing. The push mower gets fired up a couple times a year to go under the apple tree when it's loaded up and the branches are hanging.
Originally Posted by Rooster7
Push mower?????

Lmao

I agree. A Hustler zero turn does the mowing. The push mower gets fired up a couple times a year to go under the apple tree when it's loaded up and the branches are hanging.

I am religiously apposed to mowing grass, unless it is going into a haystack. But Momma insists that we have this 3000 sq foot patch of grass around the house, and she gets all bent out of shape when she finds cow paddies on it. So hell, I break out the push mower once in a while.
Originally Posted by Rooster7
Push mower?????

Lmao

So we add Roundup to the list? I've got this Lilac tree in recovery after the wife "sprayed the weeds" nearby some 10 years ago....'' Eventually I hope it will look good again.... smile
Yes, badgeloader! Mauser rifles.
Take a licking and keep on ticking.

I have one that is 122 years old and works like a champ.
Right! I keep telling the wife if God wanted us to have grass, he would not have given us tundra. She knows better than God of course....

I'm gonna add the old fly-wheel John Deere tractor. I loved driving that thing- which likely dates me, as well as it... smile
My 1984 vintage Stihl 028 chainsaw
1975 vintage Grumman canoe
1950s-something Johnson outboard engine (3hp - 2 cyliners!)
Buck 110 that I've had since 1976
Yeah, I have a 1988 Stihl 039 chainsaw, still works, had the carb rebuilt once, what a champion!
Stihl's - well your luck has been better than mine. I've had 3 POS Stihls in a row, never again.

Along those lines, I also once bought a self propelled Husquavarna mower- touted on internet at the time as one of the best. Rather expensive. Got it home, it wouldn't start. Mis-built carb. Over the next 3 years I spent more in repairs for various things than I did original purchase price. Took it to the dump and heaved it!!! Another never again....

That cheap-azz Craftsman from 10 years ago needs a blade sharpening, however...
Farmall H and M tractors
i have a pair of dingo boots that i bought in 1977.i put a few coats of neatsfoot oil on them and they are still good.
lund boats
Mod 94 30-30 WINCHESTER.

Mod 70 Fwt 243 WINCHESTER. Pre 64.

BROWNING AUTO 5 WHATEVER.
Push mower?????

Lmao

Agreed. If I can't mow it with the zero turn, it gets a good dose of Makaze and Sabre. That's Roundup and 2-4-D. Wife hates me using it, and I have on occasion got some flowers and plants with it, but I tell her that's just the cost of doing business. I have not owned a push mower in 30 years. I have 2 weedeaters, that might get used once a year, maybe.

^^^^this^^^^

[Linked Image]

I've got 3 and between them almost a million miles. 👍

Yours is just getting broken in. 😉

Got one, a 2000 Silverado 4wd with the 327, soon to be at 1/4 million mile mark. I am gonna keep it until it turns into licorice.
Mack RD or DM trucks with the mechanical 237 or 300 engine, 6 speed, 44000 camelback springs.
Originally Posted by JamesJr
Push mower?????

Lmao

Agreed. If I can't mow it with the zero turn, it gets a good dose of Makaze and Sabre. That's Roundup and 2-4-D. Wife hates me using it, and I have on occasion got some flowers and plants with it, but I tell her that's just the cost of doing business. I have not owned a push mower in 30 years. I have 2 weedeaters, that might get used once a year, maybe.

Pussy's......

[Linked Image]

Course I only have about 350 sq. ft. of grass. smile

I get a little exercise and it always starts. smile

^^^^this^^^^

[Linked Image]

Dad has the 2000 with 290,000 and I have the 1999, 4wd, with 240,000.
I think I'll keep Dad's forever. It is the extended cab (3rd door) and long wheel base. Still rides like a caddie.
Real work trucks at an affordable price are becoming obsolete.
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
Push mower?????

Lmao

Pussy's......

[Linked Image]

All you need is one sheep to eat your grass. After it gets the grass eat down, you could pimp it out to the local Muzzies.
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
Push mower?????

Lmao

Pussy's......

[Linked Image]

All you need is one sheep to eat your grass. After it gets the grass eat down, you could pimp it out to the local Muzzies.

I thought about that but it's hard to find a muzzie in No. Central Idaho.

Thank god.....
[Linked Image]
Glocks!!!
I used to say that about my Talley Wacker !!!
Gorilla Tape
Toyota 22-R engines
ORIGINAL Craftsman tools
The old metal Coleman coolers
Remington 870's
Sorel pack boots
A good baseball glove (can last decades)
Old, cast iron c-clamps
A pair of McCulloch ProMac chain saws I acquired in 1982. One new and the other for $3.00 at a yard sale. Chips still fly just as far and fast as my big Stihl 460.

Forgot a 1906, 6.5 Swede 96 I picked up as a truck gun. Consistently does about 0.75 moa with the original military barrel. It went into the gun safe.
© 24hourcampfire