Home
Title says it. My son is graduating high school this year and I'm looking at getting him a new rifle. Looking at Rugers, Remington, and Brownings. wood stock and blued. So what do you think hawk eye, 700, x-bolt or a-bolt 3? Caliber will be .243, 308 or 30-06 or something like that. He has a 223 and 308 in ruger american now.
I have a Rem 700 I bought in 71 for graduation. It's closing in on 50 years of hunting. I take it opening weekend every year. It be a 30 06. Still has same 3x9 Redfield widefield on it. Crosshair with a post. I gave it to my son when he graduated, but he lets me use it opening weekend.
Originally Posted by limofarm
Title says it. My son is graduating high school this year and I'm looking at getting him a new rifle. Looking at Rugers, Remington, and Brownings. wood stock and blued. So what do you think hawk eye, 700, x-bolt or a-bolt 3? Caliber will be .243, 308 or 30-06 or something like that. He has a 223 and 308 in ruger american now.

If you/he reloads.

6.5 x 55 Swede
9.3 x 62
25 WSSM

If not, .....
Sako in 7-08
Consider a Weatherby Vanguard. With the wood stock, it would be a change up from the RAR and be a special gift with a proven record for out of the box accuracy.

Or a Win 70 Sporter, or a Rem 700 CDL.

25-06 or 270 would make an interesting intermediate cartridge between the light varminter and big game rifle he already has.
Winchester Model 70.
we do reload. Coyotes is what we shot at the most besides paper and steel gongs. He likes shooting out to 3-400 yards, we could shoot 1000 easy but never have. I know he would like to try it.
Tikka in .243?

Congrats to your son. Whatever you get him will be outstanding. Sounds like he's partial to Ruger Americans? A.270 would be a rifle he'd use for a long time, possibly pass it down.
Originally Posted by LeonHitchcox
Tikka in .243?

Tikka in SS, of course in 6.5 Creedmoor. Life time rifle for him.

Expensive but life time.
Win 70 fwt or super grade.
700 CDL.

.270 or .243. Fits a nice niche for a flatter shooting rifle compared his .308 for smaller big game like antelope.

If he will ever reload, then all kinds of options open up!
I told mine thanks for stoppin spending my money. His gift was i didnt cut him off.
Buy a nice wood rifle and not a plastic rifle. One that he will be proud of in 25 years and want to pass on to family or kids. If you shoot yote and deer 243??!! Great for a reloader and fits both well.

He will always cherish it I'm sure. Classic caliber would be the way to go
We have about 300 head of sheep so keeping the yotes under control is very important. I'm thinking a 243 is the way to go for him. Does any one make the 260 anymore?
I wish the 260 was more popular, I have brass and dies already.
Pristine BDL 243 made before Dupont sold the company in 1993.
Thinking about 1000 yds, makes me think 6.5 mm. I like the ballistics of the 6.5-284, but it is hard to find in a "pretty" rifle.
Buy him a Remington 22-250. It'll take care of his long range coyote desires. It's no slouch at killin deer out to 300yds either. powdr
Have you looked into some bamboo bed sheets?

They're all the rage.

Dave
Dave, I had never heard of bamboo sheet and had to look them up.
Powdr, How will the 22-250 do at 300yds compared to the 243? 300 is his max range at a live animal and thats a stretch.
Savage bolt action 30-30
If you are considering a 22-250, you might want to check out the group buy with SAS on the fast twist Tikkas.
Hard to beat a Ruger and hard to beat a 30-06
...He has a 223 and 308 in ruger american now.

Then he's already set. Get him something he really needs--not another rifle.
Of the three you listed, I'd do a Hawkeye in .243.

Since this is 24HCF, I'd buy a Kimber Classic Select in .257 Roberts or one of the Model 70's from a couple years ago in same caliber.
My son is going on a week long trip to Costa Rica for his graduation gift.
Pal, I had thought about a 357 blackhawk
I really like the browning rifles with the maple stocks and octagon barrel. It's something that you don't see on to many rifles so it would stand out in that aspect. I don't own one so I can't say how they shoot. Here's a link:

https://www.cdnnsports.com/browning-xbolt-medallion-243-maple-oct-barrel.html?___SID=U
My high school graduation present was a Browning Abolt II. My dad had my name engraved on the bolt where it's flat and shiny chrome. That one of just a few rifles that will never leave my possession until they plant me.
[Linked Image]

Tikka T3 Forrest in .260 REM - $600 (click rifle)
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
[Linked Image]

Tikka T3 Forrest in .260 REM - $600 (click rifle)

^^^^^^^^^^smokin' deal ^^^^^^^^^^^

You don't say if he already has his own .22LR. If not, a CZ American would fill that gap.
Yes does have the 22lr rifles, shotguns and the ar's covered. A nice bolt centerfire or centerfire hand gun is were he is short.
we do reload. Coyotes is what we shot at the most besides paper and steel gongs. He likes shooting out to 3-400 yards, we could shoot 1000 easy but never have. I know he would like to try it.

Given what you are saying here, I like the 25-06 idea...
Originally Posted by pal
...He has a 223 and 308 in ruger american now.

Then he's already set. Get him something he really needs-- an AR15
Here are a few replies that have become pretty much standard to the "what should I get" questions:

Bolt action.

Tikka T3 Lite Stainless .308.

They are truly the Glock 19 of the rifle world. Stick a set of Talley lightweight rings on it, and add sling of choice. If you reload, buy an 8# keg of Varget, along with some Lapua brass, and choose a projectile. As far as scopes go, that is terrain/environment dependent. That said, it is hard to beat an SWFA SS fixed 6X. From coyotes to elk, the rifle will do whatever is asked, with little fuss.

AR15.

Colt 6720 or 6920.
The 6720 is a "pencil" barrel type profile, and the 6920 is an "M4" type profile. Personal preference is towards a lighter rifle. Add a 2-point sling, a white light, Geissele trigger, and either AIMPOINT RDO or low power variable.

Semi auto handgun.

Glock 19/17.
Right or wrong, they have become the standard by which all others on the market are judged. Stick a set of sights on it that work for you. Don't try to "upgrade" it, until you have a half dozen cases of ammo through it, and have a baseline of performance, for both you and the pistol.

If a guy (or gal) has those 3 firearms, they have their bases very well covered.

They are EXACTLY what I have been working towards outfitting each of my children towards having when they fly the nest. With them they have the ability to defend hearth and home, CCW carry, and fill the freezer.
Maybe too early but when my daughter graduated collage I started a brokerage account
she has made the best of it

If not a 1911
Hank
© 24hourcampfire