Home
Posted By: Sharpsman The Front Door Chewer! - 04/24/17
This bastid has been chewing on our front door and I finally got a chance at it this morning! Was chewing this AM on a shingle. Ran to one of the oak trees in my yard and I backed off 75 yards and just waited. One hour later.....saw the head come out from behind a limb and that was....all she wrote! Head is now hollow!

[Linked Image]The Front Door Chewer! by Sharps Man, on Flickr
Posted By: agazain Re: The Front Door Chewer! - 04/24/17
When that happened to me it was mama trying to get at a kit that was between shakes and bricks. Look for a nest, sir.
Posted By: SockPuppet Re: The Front Door Chewer! - 04/24/17
Nice shootin'.
Posted By: 1minute Re: The Front Door Chewer! - 04/24/17
Deserved and effective treatment for every offending rodent or woodpecker.
Posted By: beefan Re: The Front Door Chewer! - 04/24/17
That's "holdin and squeezin"
Posted By: hatari Re: The Front Door Chewer! - 04/24/17
Good job!

I went to war with squirrels in the attic. Most effect method proved to be wait for a rain shower. As soon as the rain passes, squirels leave attic to frolic outside and forage for food. Sniper city after that.
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: The Front Door Chewer! - 04/24/17
My MIL built a house with wood siding. The squirrels eat at the siding and the eaves.

She didn't want us to kill the squirrels in her yard for many years. Then she finally noticed the wood and asked me what caused it. I told her and she proceeded to tell me that I didn't know what I was talking about, so I just shrugged it off.

About 3 yrs ago, she finally saw the squirrels gnawing on the house and now she wants them all killed.

Same thing with an armadillo in the yard. I was going to shoot it, but NOOOO, it aint hurting anything. Later that year when the yard and flower beds were all rooted up, she wanted it killed.
Posted By: Sharpsman Re: The Front Door Chewer! - 04/24/17
Originally Posted by beefan

This little 17 HMR Cal Savage is amazingly accurate!

I shoot off my left shoulder and I've got a pad that fits betwixt the outside mirror and door that works perfect. Damn nigh like shooting off a vise!

[Linked Image]Untitled by Sharps Man, on Flickr
Posted By: Squirrelnut Re: The Front Door Chewer! - 04/24/17
I shoot the little pests all the time. Because I live in the suburbs I can't use a .22 so I use my BSA .177 pellet rifle. It's surprisingly effective out to about 30 yds or so.
Posted By: deerstalker Re: The Front Door Chewer! - 04/24/17
you want to come get a flicker that is drilling my house?
if i go out with a shotgun he flies in front of my solar panels.
if i go out with a rifle he heads for Montana.SOB pulled a piece of lap siding off, pulled a coffee can full of insulation out and was heading through the drywall.
fixed all that but still haven't nailed him.
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: The Front Door Chewer! - 04/24/17
Originally Posted by Sharpsman
Originally Posted by beefan

This little 17 HMR Cal Savage is amazingly accurate!

I shoot off my left shoulder and I've got a pad that fits betwixt the outside mirror and door that works perfect. Damn nigh like shooting off a vise!

[Linked Image]Untitled by Sharps Man, on Flickr

That's almost cheating!!! grin
Posted By: Klikitarik Re: The Front Door Chewer! - 04/24/17
Originally Posted by deerstalker
if i go out with a rifle he heads for Montana.SOB pulled a piece of lap siding off, pulled a coffee can full of insulation out and was heading through the drywall.

Always nail the mother flicker at first opportunity and you won't have to deal with the sons-of-mother-flickers. laugh
Posted By: 325Abn Re: The Front Door Chewer! - 04/24/17
Not until something is an "irritation" in their world do many people resort to the only viable solution.

Same with my wife..... "Noooooo, don't kill that cute raccoon - they don't hurt anything!". Yeah, uh huh.

Until they ate a hole in her chicken feed cans and she subsequently learned they kill chickens....

THEN it was, "Would you PLEASE kill those raccoons - they ate my chicken feed and they're gonna kill my hens?!?".

That was a nice payoff! Couple 12ga shells later, problem solved and a nice evening w/ the Mrs.
Posted By: 700LH Re: The Front Door Chewer! - 04/24/17
Conibears and peanuts.
Posted By: ironbender Re: The Front Door Chewer! - 04/24/17
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
you want to come get a flicker that is drilling my house?if i go out with a shotgun he flies in front of my solar panels.
Always nail the mother flicker at first opportunity and you won't have to deal with the sons-of-mother-flickers. laugh

Well played!
Posted By: Sharpsman Re: The Front Door Chewer! - 04/24/17
Originally Posted by agazain
When that happened to me it was mama trying to get at a kit that was between shakes and bricks. Look for a nest, sir.

The nest is 40' up in an oak tree! That sumbeech just liked to roam and chew!
Posted By: deflave Re: The Front Door Chewer! - 04/24/17
Sharps,

Good shooting.

You never struck me as a Savage guy. But their rimfires certainly do shoot.

Dave
Posted By: 22250rem Re: The Front Door Chewer! - 04/24/17
That took care of that furry little S.O.B..... Some of my home pest controls consist of; CHIPMUNKS : (wife thinks they're cute so they get relocated), a Havahart trap baited with a cracker with peanut butter on it; then they go for a ride to an area I call the "relocation camp". Got woods on one side and across the road so I can't release 'em there or they'll come right back. SQUIRRELS: usually a .22 cal. Benjamin Trail air rifle. Works O.K out to at least 30 yds. in my experience. Have also used 22 LR and 22 shorts with good results. Raccoons, Possum, etc. usually don't bother me or anything around here. 10 years ago this coming September we had a young black bear in the woods right next to the house. Put a Marlin .30-30 on standby duty just in case but it never bothered anyone and the environmental conservation boys baited him into an oversized trap (looked like a giant Havahart trap on a 2 wheel trailer) and took him on a relocation ride.
Posted By: deerstalker Re: The Front Door Chewer! - 04/24/17
Originally Posted by Klikitarik

never checked the gender on them but sounds good to me.
they are beautiful birds but just can't seem to leave stuff alone. now i have the OP's problem, squirrel in the canning shed!
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: The Front Door Chewer! - 04/24/17
Found a rat in the garbage can here a few weeks ago. First one I've ever seen. Gross. Unfortunately he got away.

I killed all the gray diggers on the property a few years ago but when they started to redistribute and ended up back here I thought, Ah, I'll let em go to seed so I can shoot em some more. Bad idea. Kill all the rodents the first chance you get before they end up chewing up the wiring on something or burrowing under a slab. Kill them all!

Nice shot on that one^^^
I have a custom made log cabin that I built. Dovetail notches.
This house is valuable, and precious to me.
Ten years ago a squirrel started chewing on the notches! The notch is the heart and soul of the house.
Why would he do that? He can't get healthy eating white pine.
I ran out there four or five times banging pots and pans but he kept coming back. In fact there were 2 or 3 of them.

Next time, I ran out with the .50 Savage muzzleloader. I don't have a .22
The little rodent ran from the house and perched on a tree 30 yards away, right on the trunk with his back facing me.
I hit him right in the back, a 250 gr. Hornady hollow point at 2,900 foot pounds.

He did not survive.

Still had his buddies chewing on the notches. I bought this stuff that is made for horse stables. Evidently horses will chew on the wooden rails of their stalls.
This is liquid cinnamon, it is very hot to taste, like pepper spray.

I painted liquid cinnamon on those notches. Next day, I heard a squirrel make about 3 chews. It is quite noisy inside when a goddam squirrel is eating your house.
This squirrel made about 3 chews, and then I saw him racing down the mountain for the creek, doing about 90 mph.

That was it for the squirrels.
Damned tree rats found their way into our roof. 'Went around and ran 'em out, closed up the holes, and waited for their return with my Tippman paintball marker. I had a couple booger green very shell-shocked squirrels running around the neighborhood for a while. Somehow they failed see the humor of getting ran out of the yard by automatic fire from a paintball gun.

Very nice looking place and yard -- tranquil.
Posted By: RWE Re: The Front Door Chewer! - 04/25/17

Says the squirrel....

kapewwwww
Posted By: hanco Re: The Front Door Chewer! - 04/25/17
I hate those little bastids
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: The Front Door Chewer! - 04/25/17
I'm glad I live where I don't have to use paintballs. A 22LR works great when I spot them casing my fruit trees.
Our daughter lived in a town where the only squirrel defense they had was an Airsoft.
Posted By: JOG Re: The Front Door Chewer! - 04/25/17
A woodpecker knocked a 3" hole in the fascia at the back of my house. The hole is through to the attic, two stories high, and 12" from where the electrical enters the house. My arms aren't long enough to reach the hole from the attic, and putting up a ladder next to the power line might put significant strain on my life expectancy. I can sense the hornets and various varmints lining up for residency.

S.O.B.

I have a contractor coming to look at it Thursday. My bet is a $300 woodpecker hole.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: The Front Door Chewer! - 04/25/17
Red shafted flickers, a type of woodpecker. Quite a few winter here and they love house siding. I had a 3" hole through to the insulation.
Posted By: deerstalker Re: The Front Door Chewer! - 04/25/17
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Red shafted flickers, a type of woodpecker. Quite a few winter here and they love house siding. I had a 3" hole through to the insulation.
thats them RC. beautiful but dayaaam! i am getting to old to climb 3 stories up a ladder to fix their damage.
Posted By: achadwick Re: The Front Door Chewer! - 04/25/17
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

+1

You have a beautiful home, Sharps.
Posted By: las Re: The Front Door Chewer! - 04/25/17
He does!

I don't think that .17 is gonna work well on those 500 lb brown creepers that keep licking my BBQ (If I don't keep it clean) out on the front deck in Soldotna tho..

Not house chewers tho. They have standards.
Posted By: Sharpsman Re: The Front Door Chewer! - 04/26/17
Originally Posted by las
He does!

I don't think that .17 is gonna work well on those 500 lb brown creepers that keep licking my BBQ (If I don't keep it clean) out on the front deck in Soldotna tho..

Not house chewers tho. They have standards.

Stick a 17 cal pill in the earhole and it'll work!
Posted By: Sharpsman Re: The Front Door Chewer! - 04/26/17
Originally Posted by achadwick
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

+1

You have a beautiful home, Sharps.

Thanks! Family has been here right at 160+ years! No corn this year as my renters planted all soybeans!

https://flic.kr/p/SYcNEZ
© 24hourcampfire