Home
We have been in the past two days.

We had a terrible day yesterday in Atlanta. Four teenage girls were killed on the south side yesterday and a fifth was seriously injured along with two more teens who were killed in Roswell.

The accident in Roswell involved a 15 year old who was a classmate and friend of our youngest boy since the 7th grade, our son is devastated. His classmate was killed in the accident along with his older brother who was a senior, they were going to the dentist for an appointment and tee-boned a school bus, not sure what happened. I just can't imagine the grief and hopelessness for the parents. A close friend lost a son years ago and it was terrible, losing two kids is incomprehensible. We're praying for the Pratt family.
Just devastating. frown. Prayers sent for all involved from N.C.
Doesn't get much worse than this. God's peace.
That's so sad. I'll be thinking of them in my prayers.
This happen about 4 miles from where I live. Bus full of special needs kids, though it seems as if they all escaped serious injury. Car went right under the bus. Horrible.
Terrible
That's terrible. Prayers to all.
My deepest sympathy goes out to all those impacted here. When I was 16, I lost my girlfriend to a drunk driver. I wasn't sure if I would, or even if I wanted to recover. Chris was an angel of a person. It happened three weeks before Christmas, and as was her style, she had all her Christmas shopping done, wrapped, and tagged. We worked together at a Howard Johnson's out on the Ohio Turnpike. We had a "party" to open the gifts Chris had so thoughtfully bought for everyone. There wasn't a dry eye in the house. She was loved by everyone. Now when I go home, (I've been in Minnesota for 29 years) and go to the cemetery, there's always fresh flowers on her stone. Even after all this time her friends and family still visit her frequently to mourn her loss.

Rest in peace Chris. You are so tremendously missed.
One of my buddies lost a beautiful 2 yr. old daughter in a construction site accident. Contractor drove a truck over her. A few years later, three of his kids were on their way to school with two other friends on an icy road, slid into a pond, and all five drowned. I can't even comprehend how you get over that kind of tragedy without divine intervention.

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2007/mar/02/school-mourns-for-lost-pupils/
Sad indeed, but as I tell people "The worse thing I've ever gone through is whatever I'm going through at the time"

As bad as some things seem, if they ain't happening directly to me (which means immediate LOVED family, and one or two friends) it ain't near as bad is it could be.
bad accidents. been several recent tragic deaths in atlanta including the 5 year old boy crushed in a revolving restuarant, and the lady killed by a car left out of gear by a valet driver.

what's truly amazing, and i'm sincere is that there aren't more of these kinds of deaths given the amount of traffic, experience of drivers, and the crowding of humans in close spaces.

peace be with all that lose family members due to whatever reason.
My "bad day" isn't so bad after all.
No words, Damn
I too have a close friend that has a son who was really close with one of those boys in the wreck....a lot of folks up here hit hard by it.

This is what Brady had to say about his friend...
Jim Pratt. A friend who will never be forgotten. I met Jim almost two years ago when he moved down to Georgia and enrolled in the ROTC program. A little goofy when appropriate, but he always represented a leader. He tended to stay quiet and observe rather than taking part in a situation. I learned this sort of patience from Jim, not to mention the many valuable observations he graciously shared with me. Jim wanted to be a Marine. His heart was dedicated to serving our nation. I know he would have excelled if given the chance. An instance like this shows how dear and precious life is, and how easily it can be taken away. Semper Fi Jim. You will be missed.
Originally Posted by Bootsfishing
I too have a close friend that has a son who was really close with one of those boys in the wreck....a lot of folks up here hit hard by it.

This is what Brady had to say about his friend...
Jim Pratt. A friend who will never be forgotten. I met Jim almost two years ago when he moved down to Georgia and enrolled in the ROTC program. A little goofy when appropriate, but he always represented a leader. He tended to stay quiet and observe rather than taking part in a situation. I learned this sort of patience from Jim, not to mention the many valuable observations he graciously shared with me. Jim wanted to be a Marine. His heart was dedicated to serving our nation. I know he would have excelled if given the chance. An instance like this shows how dear and precious life is, and how easily it can be taken away. Semper Fi Jim. You will be missed.

Our boy was friends with the 15 year old, they were in the same class for the past three years. There is a gofundme page set up for funeral expenses with several pictures on it. It just breaks your heart to look at the pictures of those two fine young men lost way too soon. I just can't comprehend what the family is going through. Makes me want to lock my kids in their room until they are about 30.
Tragedy for sure, Prayers for the family.

When I was 15 I went on a rescue run with my dad and watched a good friend (15 also) bleed out lying on the ground with no family around. I think it helped to shape my no f'in around in cars attitude.
Originally Posted by 12344mag
Tragedy for sure, Prayers for the family.

When I was 15 I went on a rescue run with my dad and watched a good friend (15 also) bleed out lying on the ground with no family around. I think it helped to shape my no f'in around in cars attitude.

This^^^
I was in a 'rollover/clipped telephone pole' auto accident just weeks prior to getting my license. It helped to shape my future as a driver.

Prayers for all involved.
Originally Posted by colorado bob
No words, Damn

^^^^^^
Prayers sent.
Way beyond sad to see such lives carelessly lost. I sincerely hope God has a need for those young souls.
+ 1,000 ^^^^^^^
Yes that is devastating and I will be praying for those who lost so much.

Yes I have felt that loss. Thirty four percent of the men in my high school graduating class were dead 24 months after graduation. I am sure many my age have felt the same.
My wife died of Stage Four breast cancer in 2011.
She had plans to be a grandmother and live to be 100 years old.
My sons lost their mother, I doubt if any of us will ever be the same.
Remember 911??
Met a little girl and her Mom today after they had just got back from the funeral of the little girl's Dad. He was murdered last week during an altercation with a guy that is currently on the run. Very sad for that little girl....I sure hope she has a good support system and finds a way to have a good life without a father. frown
Originally Posted by gophergunner
My deepest sympathy goes out to all those impacted here. When I was 16, I lost my girlfriend to a drunk driver. I wasn't sure if I would, or even if I wanted to recover. Chris was an angel of a person. It happened three weeks before Christmas, and as was her style, she had all her Christmas shopping done, wrapped, and tagged. We worked together at a Howard Johnson's out on the Ohio Turnpike. We had a "party" to open the gifts Chris had so thoughtfully bought for everyone. There wasn't a dry eye in the house. She was loved by everyone. Now when I go home, (I've been in Minnesota for 29 years) and go to the cemetery, there's always fresh flowers on her stone. Even after all this time her friends and family still visit her frequently to mourn her loss.

That touched me deeply. So sorry for your loss.
November 1980 I was getting ready for a night shift and as I was getting dressed into my uniform I really did not want to go to work as I knew someone was going to die that night. I just didn't know who.

Sure enough about midnight I rendezvoused with the other officer who was working and as we were talking the street lights blinked a couple of times. We knew we had an accident somewhere in town. We found it just a few blocks away. A mustang had hit a large power pole and was broken open like an egg. Two kids were laying on the ground on the passenger side with no car roof over them and the driver was trapped under the steering wheel, also with no roof over him. The roof and trunk was separated from the undercarriage and engine department.

A young girl who worked at a local grocery store and a recent graduate from high school was still alive on the ground but she died while I was checking her pulse and trying to tell her to hang in there help was on the way. The boy was doing better but not by much.

The worst part of the night was going to the parents home and telling them to either get to the hospital or telling them their daughter was gone. Mom came unglued. I stuck around making phone calls to family members asking them to come to Ankeny and be with the girls family. She was an only child.

I ran into the boy about 5 years later and he was really proud about his recovery. He was a quadlaplegic but he announced so proudly "I can use my right hand now". His wheel chair had a joystick and he could use his right hand to steer the chair. My guess is he is long dead by now.

Of course, alcohol and speed was a factor in this crash.

kwg
Originally Posted by gophergunner
Even after all this time her friends and family still visit her frequently to mourn her loss.

I lost my best friend in 2002. Despite the talk, the "we'll never forget", when I go to the cemetery, there are no flowers but the ones I leave. For me that's the most incomprehensible sadness of all. How could people just walk away like she never lived, never mattered?
Originally Posted by T_O_M

I lost my best friend in 2002. Despite the talk, the "we'll never forget", when I go to the cemetery, there are no flowers but the ones I leave.
For me that's the most incomprehensible sadness of all. How could people just walk away like she never lived, never mattered?

Just because some don't often visit the cemetery doesn't mean they don't think of the deceased.
I recently visited my parents and grandmas grave after a gap of more than 10 yrs.

and if I'm buried in the plot I have beside them, Ill be bothering them everyday from then on.
so best I let them enjoy their peace while it lasts.. grin
© 24hourcampfire