Home
Posted By: las Welding helmet advise - 04/25/17
Fk that old flip down- it broke the headband anyway, and i'm tired of sparking my eyes.

(It was a real PITA using that thing with a broken headband welding up my 1" square, thinwall sled hitch last Sunday. with inappropriate rod but what I had on hand... (3/32 6010 when I should have had 6013- according to the pkging- I had a welding class 30 years ago, but that was on DC..... and I pretty much sucked at that! smile. )

I'm getting an auto darkening one, but I know jack-all about welding helmets - other than my busted one is antique! I have an excuse!

I want an auto-darkening one, but boy do they run the price range! I only weld occaisionaly with an old Lincoln stick welder, or acetylene, and grind. No mig or tig.

Looked in Lowes Monday- they have 2 Kobald - one for $80, 2 fixed lens, 3 and 10

I assume the 3 is for grinding and 10 for welding?

The $120 model has "4 adjustable lenses". and a wide-view faceplate.

What does "adjustable lens" mean? Educate me.

Tonight I've been on Amazon and e-Bay, but I don't know what I'm doing here guys. Don't want chit, but don't want expensive that I don't really need.

My next project in a few weeks is building and welding a couple fenders onto my boat trailer (steel frame I can haul logs with that sucker!)

Helmet advise, please, on what I really need, what is optional, and what is too much for my needs. Price range/brands/what to avoid appreciated.

Posted By: 284LUVR Re: Welding helmet advise - 04/26/17
I have maybe 30 thousand hours under a Tigerhood pipeliner with the auto dark. Never a problem.
Posted By: johnw Re: Welding helmet advise - 04/26/17
Originally Posted by 284LUVR
I have maybe 30 thousand hours under a Tigerhood pipeliner with the auto dark. Never a problem.

And a REALLY strong neck...
Posted By: srwshooter Re: Welding helmet advise - 04/26/17
i have a clear shield for grinding,for welding i bought a auto solar helmet from harbor freight.had it for 2 years now,works great. i think they are around 50-55.00
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Welding helmet advise - 04/26/17
I hate to say it but Harbor Freight, $50.00. Adjustable between 9-13 and has a grind mode as well. I had to replace the last one after 5 years.
Posted By: hanco Re: Welding helmet advise - 04/26/17
Tigerhood
Originally Posted by johnw

And a REALLY strong neck...

Weight was never an issue if that's what you're referring to, John.

I'd buy another.
I use the latest Jackson hood because my employer supplies it. I also work from a 3 wheel bike with tool boxes and I don't care to carry a 3 separate shields for grinding, welding and torch work.

When I was active with the Boilermakers I used Speedglass, Miller, and an old school Tiger Ultra with flip lense. For most use i prefer the Tiger ultra due to it's lite weight.

Pick up some 7018 and you'll be better off for most work...
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Welding helmet advise - 04/26/17
Our son wanted an auto darkener, so that was his gift Christmas a few years back. He does not like it, and I do not either. Maybe it takes some getting used to?
For those required to weld in a hard hat, the speed glass hood/hat combo is as good as it gets.

Also remember that when you choose a flash hood you choose to use the cover lenses that each one requires. Miller, Jackson, Optrel, Speedglass. All use different cover lenses...

I change my cover lenses daily and old school is better in that regard.
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: Welding helmet advise - 04/26/17
Originally Posted by hanco
Tigerhood

Definitely.
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: Welding helmet advise - 04/26/17
Originally Posted by johnw
For those required to weld in a hard hat, the speed glass hood/hat combo is as good as it gets.

Also remember that when you choose a flash hood you choose to use the cover lenses that each one requires. Miller, Jackson, Optrel, Speedglass. All use different cover lenses...

I change my cover lenses daily and old school is better in that regard.

Very good point. Those lens for each from will add alot $$$ overtime.

Me, I use either a pipeliner or tigerhood. Get a 'save phace' 2x4 insert. They are real good for the money ($60), have 1/1/1/1 lens. Everybody and their brother will have the cover lens for the 2x4 hoods.
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Our son wanted an auto darkener, so that was his gift Christmas a few years back. He does not like it, and I do not either. Maybe it takes some getting used to?

Does the lens have an adjustable delay ?
Posted By: TheKid Re: Welding helmet advise - 04/26/17
I spend 10 hours a day under a Lincoln Viking 1840, before that it was one of the HF 50$ jobs. The headgear on the HF sucks and as soon as it started to flash me regardless of setting or being set in the sun to charge it got canned. Been 3 months with the Viking and I have no complaints.
I don't know Denny, where would I look for it?
Without seeing the lens I wouldn't know. Mine had a dial next to the shade setting. Sorry my friend. Best I can do ATM.
Posted By: RWE Re: Welding helmet advise - 04/26/17
Mine is an auto darkener.

Goes dark fairly quick at first spark. So far, I'm not seeing stars in the dark so it functions fine.

The delay knob is for the return to clear so you can see your work.

Posted By: hunter4623 Re: Welding helmet advise - 04/26/17
I used a HF auto darkening for awhile. Recently bought a Miller Pro Hobby. The only difference I can tell is the Miller has a ton of headband adjustability and it just better quality. The Miller also works better outside. The HF doesn't have as many sensors and sunlight makes it tougher to use. If you don't use it everyday, get a HF. Can't beat it for the money
I have an old speedglass, a new Lincoln viking 3350 and a set of miller auto darkening goggles for welding in positions where I can't squirm my may in with a big hood on my head.

The lincoln gets used the most.

An aside here, I have heard of a red hot ball of molten steel going in a man's ear, and out his mouth, that was cutting with a torch under a car. It gives me the shivers seeing my self type that.
Posted By: coyotewacker Re: Welding helmet advise - 04/26/17
Originally Posted by 12344mag
I hate to say it but Harbor Freight, $50.00. Adjustable between 9-13 and has a grind mode as well. I had to replace the last one after 5 years.

HF with a 20% off coupon is the best deal around.....on my second one its lasted 10+ years....
An aside here, I have heard of a red hot ball of molten steel going in a man's ear, and out his mouth, that was cutting with a torch under a car. It gives me the shivers seeing my self type that.

I've had them in my ear a few times.

It's a loud pain.
Posted By: TheKid Re: Welding helmet advise - 04/26/17
Originally Posted by northern_dave

It's a loud pain.

Sizzle sizzle sizzle, somebody frying bacon? Been there, though none ever made it out through my mouth.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Welding helmet advise - 04/26/17
I have an expensive auto hood that the lens went bad on, so I bought a cheap auto hood in town....it was all that was available.

The cheap hood has the shade adjustment in the form of a knob on the outside. I would recommend a hood with internal adjustments.

That knob on the outside always seems to get tweaked when I don and doff the helmet.

I will be buying a Lincoln soon.
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

I like my 3350 so far. Huge lens, adjustable shade and delay, sensitivity.. grind mode.

Just don't forget to flip it off of grind mode before you go back to striking an arc. lol, I've done it to myself several times now.

All in all, it's a huge improvement over my 15 year old speedglass.
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: Welding helmet advise - 04/26/17
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

I like my 3350 so far. Huge lens, adjustable shade and delay, sensitivity.. grind mode.

Just don't forget to flip it off of grind mode before you go back to striking an arc. lol, I've done it to myself several times now.

All in all, it's a huge improvement over my 15 year old speedglass.

I was leaning toward getting a 3350. Speedglas has just came out with a new hood , 9002nc. Small lens, which is what i favor. Got one ordered from the LWS.
Posted By: White_Bear Re: Welding helmet advise - 04/26/17
I've used more hoods than I can remember after 30 years of welding. I'm not up on the latest and greatest auto-hoods but I've had a number of very expensive ones. They're all garbage now.

It sounds like you are more of a hobby welder so I'd look for something cheaper. I bought one of these for a spare in the shop last fall and it's working great.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01EL6N294/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As mentioned, don't get anything with external adjustments as they always get bumped.

P.S. Get used to those 3/32" 6010. You can do anything with them once you get the hang of it. I use 7018 about 100:1 compared to all my other rods but those little 6010 can do some neat things in skilled hands.
Posted By: pal Re: Welding helmet advise - 04/26/17
3M Speedglas.
Posted By: kingston Re: Welding helmet advise - 04/26/17
I use Optrel Satellites.
Posted By: BufordBoone Re: Welding helmet advise - 04/26/17

Would you happen to have a link? When I google "Tigerhood Pipeliner", google puts in "Tigerhood vs. Pipeliner"

Makes it look like they are competing brands.

Thanks.
My typo, Buford. It's a pipeliner. Old,grey and retired. Been awhile, Sir.
Posted By: kellory Re: Welding helmet advise - 04/26/17
They also make replacement lenses that are self darkening for existing hoods. (Yes, i know you are replacing yours)
Posted By: boilerpig1 Re: Welding helmet advise - 04/26/17
40 yrs. with a Pipeliner.
https://www.amazon.com/Fibre-Metal-...=1-1&keywords=pipeliner+welding+hood

About 2 years with an auto adjust lens. This is a true #10 lens. Most of the others say #10 but if you read the fine print they are a #10.5.
As far as grinding, the sparks will usually darken the lens. Buffing is ok but you'll still need a clear lens for grinding.
https://www.amazon.com/Radnor-Fixed...words=radnor+auto+darkening+welding+lens

This a simple, light and compact hood.

BP...
Posted By: funshooter Re: Welding helmet advise - 04/26/17
I use a NEXGEN
expensive but I weld almost every day.

There are some good lower cost ones out there.

I want the best for my old eyes
Posted By: BufordBoone Re: Welding helmet advise - 04/26/17
Thanks for the links!
Posted By: kingston Re: Welding helmet advise - 04/26/17
Originally Posted by funshooter
I use a NEXGEN
expensive but I weld almost every day.

There are some good lower cost ones out there.

I want the best for my old eyes

That's what I always tell people when they ask for advice about welding shields and bock at price, new eyes are very expensive, if you can find them. If you want cheap get a quality fixed (non-auto darkening) lens/filter.

HF is the last company I'm trusting my vision to.

I've been using an Optrel Satellite K600 since 2007 and added an Optrel e670 a few years later as a backup. I almost always use the K600.
Posted By: colodog Re: Welding helmet advise - 04/26/17
My faithful old NexGen became erratic after 10+ years so I bought a Jackson Insight off the weekly welding truck.

Less than $150 and it works well.

The NexGen was my baby but I like the Insight better, put it on and weld, no need to turn it on each time.

For clipping onto the hardhat, I use the cheapest Jackson I can get so I won't cry when it takes a falllllll.
Posted By: funshooter Re: Welding helmet advise - 04/26/17
Originally Posted by colodog
My faithful old NexGen became erratic after 10+ years so I bought a Jackson Insight off the weekly welding truck.

Less than $150 and it works well.

The NexGen was my baby but I like the Insight better, put it on and weld, no need to turn it on each time.

For clipping onto the hardhat, I use the cheapest Jackson I can get so I won't cry when it takes a falllllll.

I dropped my first one and broke it. bout killed me to go back to my back up cheap filters.

It was just as much to get the entire hood and lens as it was to get just the lens.

I am more careful now.
Posted By: mark shubert Re: Welding helmet advise - 04/26/17
Originally Posted by TheKid

It's a loud pain.

Sizzle sizzle sizzle, somebody frying bacon? Been there, though none ever made it out through my mouth.

I need to ask my audiologist if that may have contributed to my (non) hearing problem. It'll be interesting to hear the answer.
Posted By: smithrjd Re: Welding helmet advise - 04/26/17
I have an Optrel also, very light and auto darken works very well. Just a hobby welder, but it works for me. Much better than the cheapo's.
© 24hourcampfire