Home
Posted By: broomd Synthetic decking... - 05/10/17
Looking for any decking pro advice.....

I'm pulling up the awful Crosstimbers synthetic sh*t I put down ten years ago. It was new and all the rage at the time and the product is simply awful. It swells and contracts literally as you watch it.

Synthetic decking has come a long way and we want to utilize it again with a dependable product. I DO NOT want wood.

I can get Trex Trancends product reasonably, this isn't the earlier Trex product with so many issues, its a capped product.
The reviews are very good.. I'm not against using something else, but can get a decent price on the new 2" x 6" Trex Trancends boards.
Looking for general advice by guys who use this or other products daily. Deck is 1000 sq ft. B I G sucker and we use it a lot--it will get a lot of heat in the Summer and a lot of rain--fall 'til Spring..

Thanks in advance.
Posted By: keith_dunlap Re: Synthetic decking... - 05/10/17
tagged
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Synthetic decking... - 05/10/17
Our deck is about that size, and we used Trex when we did it almost four years ago. I'm not sure if it's the "new" Trex or not but we've had zero issues with it. Our climate runs fro 0° to 100° and we get rain, snow, and ice.

I just spent a half hour having a beer out there, and marveled at how well the deck still looks. Quite a coinkeydink, huh?

Here's ours, right after a rain...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: srwshooter Re: Synthetic decking... - 05/10/17
trex will fall apart from the bottom at times and you will step thru it.before you buy synthetic check to see what the joist spacing requirments are.
Posted By: Stan V Re: Synthetic decking... - 05/10/17
Check out Ipe and cry once.
Posted By: broomd Re: Synthetic decking... - 05/10/17
Originally Posted by srwshooter
trex will fall apart from the bottom at times and you will step thru it.before you buy synthetic check to see what the joist spacing requirments are.

What Trex? Do you have a series? Select? Trancends? etc...

My last deck called for 24" OC.
Per the seller, the 2" Trancends will sit fine on 24" OC, what I currently have. I'm not afraid of yanking joists and hangers and closing things up a bit though.
I pulled all of the joists on the exposed/weathered side of the house yesterday and will run 16" OC either way there, and under the Jacuzzi is 12" OC.

The 24" OC joist work on the front deck area has an overhang; that area and decking actually survived pretty decently over the last decade. I'll reuse those joists.

I like IPE but won't use it. We're hard on our decks; and scuffs, abuse, etc, are par for the course. Can't justify spending $20K in planking where $6K will work.
That $ will fence my 10 acres of pasture--priorities.
Posted By: Stan V Re: Synthetic decking... - 05/10/17
Yep, Ipe cost is crazy. Not to mention labor intensive. But, it's fricking gorgeous and will outlast us all. Regardless of how rough you treat it
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Synthetic decking... - 05/11/17
Maybe Spanky will post pics of his new, expansive deck, with a view overlooking other people's property.

Or maybe he just has a really small deck. You can always tell which guys have little decks.
Posted By: mbhunt Re: Synthetic decking... - 05/11/17
Originally Posted by Stan V
Check out Ipe and cry once.

Ditto. I have sold TONS of Ipe. It does cost more but if you are going to stay in the house it's worth it. Oil it once and then let it go to it's natural silvery gray and be happy.
Posted By: MuskegMan Re: Synthetic decking... - 05/11/17

Originally Posted by rockinbbar
You can always tell which guys have little decks.

Small hands, right? smirk
Posted By: ironbender Re: Synthetic decking... - 05/11/17
Originally Posted by keith_dunlap
tagged

Ditto
Tearing some off now. I don't know what the brand is. I wouldn't use the synthetic if you gave me some.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Synthetic decking... - 05/11/17
We built a deck 2 years ago. As luck would have it, Lowes gray Choicedeck boards went very well with our house and they had a great sale going when we needed it. We've been very happy with it. It doesn't get overly hot in the sun and, unlike some synthetics, doesn't get slicker than snot when there's frost on it.
Posted By: CashisKing Re: Synthetic decking... - 05/11/17
I fell into a pile of quarter-sawn ash years ago. The emerald ash borer was decimating the ash trees in Ohio and Indiana and the wood ended up far cheaper than 5/4 PT lumber.

Deck held up like iron... and weathered beautifully. Quarter-sawn wood is awesome.

I know you said no to wood, but just wanted to throw out that there are some great woods (Pressure treated pine is NOT one of them).
Posted By: hanco Re: Synthetic decking... - 05/11/17
An outside deck is nice.
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: Synthetic decking... - 05/11/17
Concrete patio with stonework works for me
Posted By: Gus Re: Synthetic decking... - 05/11/17
the old favorite 5/4 radius edged P:T SYP decking is hard to beat when it comes to price and reliability.

lot's of good synthetics out there, but the cost is always a factor.
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
I've seen some very nice ones and we considered one, too. However, a raised deck made of stone can get a bit heavy on the framework.
Posted By: EdM Re: Synthetic decking... - 05/11/17
My neighbor in Idaho has had Trex (installed 13 years ago, no idea which) failures a number of times. It sees a lot of snow and a fair bit of snow. Appears it goes brittle.
Posted By: Boise Re: Synthetic decking... - 05/11/17
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Maybe Spanky will post pics of his new, expansive deck, with a view overlooking other people's property.

Or maybe he just has a really small deck. You can always tell which guys have little decks.

If you trim the shrubs around your deck it will make it look bigger.
Posted By: kennyd Re: Synthetic decking... - 05/11/17
did the front porch with trex, small area. Did the small back deck with the Lowes stuff. The Trex was a better board, and cost more. I haven't had enough time to tell about the long term weathering, but they have gone through 2 winters OK. I looked at wood, redwood and all, and the cost was not that much less and the maintenance was a lot of work and cost
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I've seen some very nice ones and we considered one, too. However, a raised deck made of stone can get a bit heavy on the framework.

I said that partially in Jest, you are correct for a 2 story application it can be done very easily but it will be more $$ . I have seen this product and it looks really interesting silica decks
Posted By: AcesNeights Re: Synthetic decking... - 05/11/17
We have Trex (not sure what iteration) back decks and huge front porch and it's holding up like new. It's about 10 years old and I didn't install it which is why it's probably still holding up great. 😀 I do know that installing it properly is the single most important thing you can do for longevity. As you know we get a fair bit of rain living on an island in western Washington so I think we'd be a good test case for synthetic decking. I pressure wash it several times a year but otherwise it requires zero maintenance. The cedar railing has rotted in places and been replaced but the decking is in great shape.
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
We have Trex (not sure what iteration) back decks and huge front porch and it's holding up like new. It's about 10 years old and I didn't install it which is why it's probably still holding up great. 😀 I do know that installing it properly is the single most important thing you can do for longevity. As you know we get a fair bit of rain living on an island in western Washington so I think we'd be a good test case for synthetic decking. I pressure wash it several times a year but otherwise it requires zero maintenance. The cedar railing has rotted in places and been replaced but the decking is in great shape.

Probably one of the best carpenters I have ever met who built my first home told me more houses get screwed up because the product is not applied or used incorrectly then any other factor.
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

I said that partially in Jest, you are correct for a 2 story application it can be done very easily but it will be more $$ . I have seen this product and it looks really interesting silica decks
We built a deck about 18" high to match the house door. We considered stone but then I figured out how much rock and sand we'd need to get the level up even that small amount. It got prohibitive in a hurry especially since we couldn't get a dump truck to it.
Posted By: 458 Lott Re: Synthetic decking... - 05/11/17
I know you want a synthetic product, but after putting in a trex deck a few years ago on the old house, and the new house being built with a cedar deck, I'll say wood all the way. The only advantage of a synthetic is you don't have to stain it.

Synthetics are extremely slippery when they get frost on them, require additional support because they are flexible as noodles and if you want to run the deck boards 45 degrees to the supports the support spacing is further reduced. I'd definitely go with the hidden fastening system as even with the proper deck screws I had issues with the ends of the trex decking cracking.

Even though I'll be staining our 800+ sq ft deck every few years, IMHO it's worth the added work to have a superior deck.
Posted By: broomd Re: Synthetic decking... - 06/25/17
Well, an update here.
I installed the TREX Transcends line, I got into that product at about 30% savings from retail, and I simply did not want wood and the maintenance that accompanies it.

My initial opinion is that the product is very high quality, it's heavy, spans like iron over 24" OC with zero bounce, and it shows minimal contraction and expansion.
I started from scratch on this one; new joists and even beams in the front. 12" oc under the spa.
I did a solid job on this deck, I suspect it will last a long time although time will tell. Initial quality is one thing, long term completely another.
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Posted By: duck911 Re: Synthetic decking... - 06/25/17
Custom ordered some 20 footers from Home Depot 10 years ago for a 16x20 deck so we could go full span. No idea the brand.

10 years later, looks like the day it went down. I haven't lifted a finger.

Hail, snow, ice, sub-zero temps, 100 degree temps, intense Colorado sun, plenty of dogs, 2 high school graduations, one after wedding party..........
Posted By: Lonny Re: Synthetic decking... - 06/25/17
Looks great!

We did some Azek brand 4 years ago and it still looks great and that's with no overhead protection on any part of it. It sure beats refinishing wood decks which I had done way too many times on previous decks.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Synthetic decking... - 06/25/17
2" or 5/4 decking?
Looks good.
Posted By: cal74 Re: Synthetic decking... - 06/25/17
Not sure what brand is on my deck, but it's about 8 years old now and holding up/looking good.

Not slippery or no more slippery when wet than wood. I pressure wash it once a year, maybe should do it twice. When it is dirty or getting dirty, it only looks it when wet.
Posted By: Talenel Re: Synthetic decking... - 06/25/17
I work for a different company that makes synthetic decking.

The new stuff is crap...

The old hollow stuff capped was 3X as strong as the solid, and way lighter. Even the old hollow uncapped is 2.5X as strong as the new solid...

It doesn't expand and contract as much either, so little in fact you can get away with solid mounting it on shorter runs.
Originally Posted by ironbender
2" or 5/4 decking?
Looks good.

.... 2"...the stuff is thick and it's heavy. I'd estimate a 20' plank at about 35lbs.
I piloted all holes due to the thickness of the PVC capping, the screws countersink and they really bite. I ordered the the exact board-colored screws and they are hard to see.
Only buggered (and replaced) four torx heads out of about 1500, they went in much easier with hot weather. The four I spun were going in cold boards. Everything is border-framed to hide ends except the small front 'pre-deck' and small platform for the grille.
The framed-look is a pita with the extra joist work, but the hidden ends is a great look, imho.
Fascia is hardy cement board. I've yet to find a synthetic fascia by any manufacturer I'd use.

Originally Posted by Talenel
I work for a different company that makes synthetic decking.

The new stuff is crap...

I'm not sure what constitutes 'new'...without question Trex had a ton of problems when they entered the market, much like Honda automobiles.
With time they got it right. The Trancends line hit the market in 2010, and within that time-frame I really struggled to find bad reviews when the product was installed per Trex's recommendations.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: GreatWaputi Re: Synthetic decking... - 06/25/17
Nice place and the deck looks great.
Posted By: sgtsmmiii Re: Synthetic decking... - 06/25/17
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi
Nice place and the deck looks great.

My thoughts, too. Nicely done.
Thanks, fellas.
Fixing to break out the pressure washer for a quick cleanup, mucho dust from a month of construction and new lava rock.
© 24hourcampfire