Home
Posted By: northern_dave Reuben sandwich registry - 06/02/17
As you all know, a decent Reuben is a difficult thing to find.

I offer this official campfire forum registry of decent Reuben sandwich locations. Proven, verified, quality Reubens.

Twins corner Cafe, badger MN.

Rockin 50's cafe, Greenbush MN.

Feel free to add to this registry.

I have tried approximately 927 million billion other locations, these are the only 2 places that have passed so far.

If someone​ says "Arby's" , I'makillya.
Posted By: 257_X_50 Re: Reuben sandwich registry - 06/02/17
Eddy Canters deli Hollywood ........sorry about the local but open 24/7 and usually a good blues band
My house
Posted By: kingston Re: Reuben sandwich registry - 06/02/17
Smoke Haus
2458 NY-52, Hopewell Junction, NY 12533

https://www.smokehausdeli.com/
Posted By: hatari Re: Reuben sandwich registry - 06/02/17
DiMaggio's - Cooperstown NY
taking notes.
Tula's Cafe, Woodruff, WI
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Reuben sandwich registry - 06/02/17
first i've ever heard of a Reuben sandwich, had to google it, looks gooood
The ones at the Horse race track in Hot Springs, Arkansas are legendary, so I am told. I have never had a Reuben Sandwich anywhere. I do like sauerkraut on a hotdog at times. miles
Posted By: sactoller Re: Reuben sandwich registry - 06/02/17
Originally Posted by 257_X_50
Eddy Canters deli Hollywood ........sorry about the local but open 24/7 and usually a good blues band

I second Eddy Canters!
Posted By: kingston Re: Reuben sandwich registry - 06/02/17
Do Cape Cod and California Reubens count?
Ben and Irv's in Huntington valley, PA. (Philly suburb)
Any Jewish Deli in NY or NJ grin
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Reuben sandwich registry - 06/02/17
I had an outstanding Reuben (and I'm a Reuben aficionado, too) at an airport restaurant between flights somewhere. I really wish I could remember which airport that was...
Posted By: tzone Re: Reuben sandwich registry - 06/02/17
Originally Posted by Badgerloader
Tula's Cafe, Woodruff, WI

That one's decent.
McAlisters in Wichita Falls Tx makes a passable Rueben but you have to tell them to leave off the Thousand Island dressing.

Is that even supposed to be on one?
What the hell is wrong with you Texicans?
Posted By: joken2 Re: Reuben sandwich registry - 06/02/17

Arby's sells a Ruben that surprisingly is not bad at all. Ate one there last Sunday.
Local Mom and Pop restaurant has Rubens on their menu that is pretty good too in my opinion and comes with a side of delicious still hot homemade potato chips.
The old no longer in business Lum's restaurant chain made a pretty decent Ruben sandwich too. Used to be a real treat to stop in Lum's on a blazing hot summer day, order a Ruben and wash it down with a frosted mug of Ballantine Ale, or two, or three.
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Reuben sandwich registry - 06/02/17
You ppl do realize there is this little site called Yelp.😁

That being stated if your ever on the left coast behind enemy lines Tommy Joynt in SF get my vote for the Bay Areas best.

There are a few others in NorCal out in the Valley where I live but that's the best I've had north of the Jewish Delis in LA.
Posted By: Raeford Re: Reuben sandwich registry - 06/02/17
Just get the Lay's Reuben Chips....they came in second to the Biscuit's n Gravy that won.
Posted By: KFWA Re: Reuben sandwich registry - 06/02/17
I'm not a Reuben guy but my son is. He has tried Reuben's from various places we've been to including New Orleans, Orlando and Nashville.

He swears the best Rueben sandwich he's ever had is at Epi's Pizza and Subs in Bar Harbor , Maine.

A little out of the way (OK a lot) but he brings it up every time we go out for sandwiches and he wants a Reuben.
Posted By: joken2 Re: Reuben sandwich registry - 06/02/17

Originally Posted by curdog4570
McAlisters in Wichita Falls Tx makes a passable Rueben but you have to tell them to leave off the Thousand Island dressing.

Is that even supposed to be on one?

Most Ruben recipes I've seen call for a Russian dressing.

I make them at home once in a while and I usually use a horseradish based dressing/mustard and sometimes just straight finely ground horseradish.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Reuben sandwich registry - 06/02/17
I never met anyone named Reuben. Never even heard of a Reuben. Doubt I'd like his sandwich anyhow, good or bad. Not a sandwich lover.

Insert poem here- something along the lines of a Poe. The Reuben that was all used up, a bathroom story.
Posted By: NeBassman Re: Reuben sandwich registry - 06/02/17
Originally Posted by Fireball2
I never met anyone named Reuben. Never even heard of a Reuben. Doubt I'd like his sandwich anyhow, good or bad. Not a sandwich lover.

Insert poem here- something along the lines of a Poe. The Reuben that was all used up, a bathroom story.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reuben_sandwich

Possible origins:

Reuben Kulakofsky, Blackstone Hotel: Omaha, Nebraska:
One origin story holds that Reuben Kulakofsky (his first name sometimes spelled Reubin; his last name sometimes shortened to Kay), a Jewish Lithuanian-born grocer residing in Omaha, Nebraska, was the inventor, perhaps as part of a group effort by members of Kulakofsky's weekly poker game held in the Blackstone Hotel from around 1920 through 1935. The participants, who nicknamed themselves "the committee", included the hotel's owner, Charles Schimmel. The sandwich first gained local fame when Schimmel put it on the Blackstone's lunch menu, and its fame spread when a former employee of the hotel won a national contest with the recipe. In Omaha, March 14 was proclaimed as Reuben Sandwich Day.

Reuben's Delicatessen: New York City:
Another account holds that the Reuben's creator was Arnold Reuben, the German-Jewish owner of the famed Reuben's Delicatessen (1908–2001) in New York City. According to an interview with Craig Claiborne, Arnold Reuben invented the "Reuben Special" around 1914.[The earliest references in print to the sandwich are New York–based, but that is not conclusive evidence, though the fact that the earliest, in a 1926 issue of Theatre Magazine, references a "Reuben Special", does seem to take its cue from Arnold Reuben's menu.

A variation of the above account is related by Bernard Sobel in his 1953 book, Broadway Heartbeat: Memoirs of a Press Agent. Sobel states that the sandwich was an extemporaneous creation for Marjorie Rambeau inaugurated when the famed Broadway actress visited the Reuben's Delicatessen one night when the cupboards were particularly bare.

Some sources[who?] name the actress in the above account as Annette Seelos, not Marjorie Rambeau, while also noting that the original "Reuben Special" sandwich of 1926 did not contain corned beef or sauerkraut and was not grilled.

Still other versions give credit to Alfred Scheuing, a chef at Reuben's Delicatessen, and say he created the sandwich for Reuben's son, Arnold Jr., in the 1930s.

My favorite is a home grilled pastrami Rueben with pepperjack cheese.
Honestly, I believe that part of the key to a decent reuben (for me) is that the rye bread be pan or grill top toasted with butter. The toasted rye bread must have a little butter in it, enough to make your fingers shiny when you eat it.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Reuben sandwich registry - 06/02/17
Dave has the right idea there!
Butter grilled bread
kraut
Corned Beef..........................NOT pastrami!
and the sauce they use can make or break the dang thing.

I'm watching for someone to come up with a good place out west here but not in Coastal CA.

As for "Yelp"? Dude, nerds put up ratings/reviews there. Do you trust them? Some weenie might give a good review to one made "special" with avocado or kale.

Geno

PS Dave, some on here were wondering where you went and if you had died. How's Clark/Dave/Travis? Give him my regards.
Posted By: smokepole Re: Reuben sandwich registry - 06/02/17
Finally, valuable information on the Hunter's Campfire......
Originally Posted by smokepole
Finally, valuable information on the Hunter's Campfire......

Yep, seems to 'blanket' every imaginable scenario.
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Butter grilled bread
kraut

I'm watching for someone to come up with a good place out west here but not in Coastal CA.

As for "Yelp"? Dude, nerds put up ratings/reviews there. Do you trust them? Some weenie might give a good review to one made "special" with avocado or kale.

Geno

PS Dave, some on here were wondering where you went and if you had died. How's Clark/Dave/Travis? Give him my regards.

He's alive.

I'm still not sure if I am or not.
R.I.P. ND
He was a kindly soul
Posted By: RWE Re: Reuben sandwich registry - 06/02/17
Davids in Asheboro, NC

Fayetteville St.

Good Reubens.

Grilled Rye, fresh nazi cabbage.

Basket of fries and a peach tea.
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
I had an outstanding Reuben (and I'm a Reuben aficionado, too) at an airport restaurant between flights somewhere. I really wish I could remember which airport that was...

That's ok. I still see this as being very helpful to Dave, all he has to do is book some flights all around the country, he's sure to find the spot
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Reuben sandwich registry - 06/02/17
Grilled rye, corned beef, havarti, saurkraut, 1000 island with a bit of horseradish.

Done.
Originally Posted by stxhunter

Dude............
The Local Public House, Bellingham Washington, has the best Reuben I've ever had but you unfortunately have to eat it in Bellingham.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Reuben sandwich registry - 06/02/17
Originally Posted by northern_dave
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Butter grilled bread
kraut

Geno

He's alive.

I'm still not sure if I am or not.

Glad to hear about Trav.

I'll keep an eye out for you and if I see you, I'll let you know you're still with us. crazy

Geno
Originally Posted by hatari
DiMaggio's - Cooperstown NY

A friend of mine just bought this place. I'll tell him not to change the recipe!
Posted By: night_owl Re: Reuben sandwich registry - 06/02/17
Please Add the "Lucky Dill" Palm Harbor, FL to the R.R. (Reuben Registry) - massive sandwiches.
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Grilled rye, corned beef, havarti, saurkraut, 1000 island with a bit of horseradish.

Done.

This is close . . . very close. I prefer Swiss. There has to be quite a bit of butter on the grilled side of the bread. Also, I prefer my Reuben to be on the wet/dripping side.
I think Swiss is the classic, proper, cheese. I just like the havarti.

Either are outstanding.

I'm also a sucker for a good turkey rueben.
Has anyone ever met this 'Reuben' dude?
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Reuben sandwich registry - 06/02/17
Is he the same fellow that made those cubes?
I dunno, next time I see the pink TP Bear i'ma ask him, bet he knows.
Best one I've ever had was in the Garden District of New Orleans, but I will not name it as I am boycotting anything there due to the removal of the historic statues of Gen. Lee and President Davis. So, the next best for me would be from Katz's in Houston.
Yes, Rye bread on a Reuben should be "greasy" mit butter.
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Any Jewish Deli in NY or NJ grin

Yup!
Jews from New Delhi in York & Jersey?
Who knew?
Originally Posted by Raeford
Jews from New Delhi in York & Jersey?
Who knew?

Yeah, they own all the curry and half the fish and chip shops.
Posted By: RipSnort Re: Reuben sandwich registry - 06/02/17
24-7 Diner---Austin ,TX (cure their own corned beef)

Camelia Grill---New Orleans, LA

RS
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie

Done.

This is close . . . very close. I prefer Swiss. There has to be quite a bit of butter on the grilled side of the bread. Also, I prefer my Reuben to be on the wet/dripping side.

Same here, it should be messy. It's something you eat right now, it is not "to go box" food to be et later on.

Done.

Same here, it should be messy. It's something you eat right now, it is not "to go box" food to be et later on.

ND's alive!
ND's alive!
oh man,,,,glad I joined this forum,,,,,,a Reuben Registry,,,,,,,my favorite sandwich,,,,and concur - corned beef not pastrami,,,,buttered/grilled bread and I'm a swiss cheese guy,,,,,,,,,,

best place? Don't know,,,,I like them all!
Posted By: EdM Re: Reuben sandwich registry - 06/02/17
Michael's Deli in San Luis Obispo California. Killer corned beef has too.
I've had more crappy reubens than I've had good ones. That's why a registry of good sandwiches is necessary.
Posted By: Squidge Re: Reuben sandwich registry - 06/02/17
Probably not worth "the registry" but my local Culvers makes a decent Rueben for a fast food joint, it's a lot better than Arby's.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Reuben sandwich registry - 06/02/17
When I was giving blood to the Red Cross years back, one of the Legion women doing volunteer work with the cookies, and juice asked what I'd like. I told her, corned beef, on rye, with Swiss cheese. She laughed, and said next time.
Posted By: LouisB Re: Reuben sandwich registry - 06/02/17
"Cheese and Coffee Cafe" in ABQ had the best I have ever eaten.
Been a while so it could have changed.
Posted By: Mac84 Re: Reuben sandwich registry - 06/02/17
Jimmy d's. In Mt Clemens MI.

Murphys Inn. St Clair MI
Posted By: The_Yetti Re: Reuben sandwich registry - 06/02/17
Five Forks Cafe in Williamsburg, VA had the best Reuben I've ever had. A little closer to home, Culver's is actually a pretty decent Reuben.
Grumpy's sandwich shop. Juneau, Alaska. smile
Posted By: Cruiser1 Re: Reuben sandwich registry - 06/03/17
In Birmingham,Al:

Klingler's Cafe; German's make good kraut and homemade rye

http://www.klinglers.com/

and Diplomat Deli

Posted By: mathman Re: Reuben sandwich registry - 06/03/17
If you're ever in Tucson you might try the Sausage Deli. I haven't been there since I was in grad school 25 years ago, but it was a great sandwich shop then.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Reuben sandwich registry - 06/03/17
What do pink bears think of Reubens?
As you all know, a decent Reuben is a difficult thing to find.

I offer this official campfire forum registry of decent Reuben sandwich locations. Proven, verified, quality Reubens.
Feel free to add to this registry.

Dave - Arby's in Las Vegas, New Mexico -
My treat
(Then we'll take you to some GREAT Mexican places, and put you up until the services smile )
Originally Posted by LouisB

Where in ABQ is this place located? I've got to go down there next week.
Posted By: LouisB Re: Reuben sandwich registry - 06/03/17
Mark
There two still listed, the one we loved is on Louisana just past Winrock as I remember it. The are listed on the web from what my wife just told me.

Hope it is still good, things like that change.

For a few years there was a little deli shop just down the hill from NMHU toward Old Town that had the best deli sandwiches in the world
The Smoked Thuringer with Muenster was to die for on their home baked buns.
Guy and his wife owned and ran it

Hope you find Cheese and Coffee Cafe still provides good . . . excellent Reuben because food establishments do change
Posted By: BangPop Re: Reuben sandwich registry - 06/03/17
There's no place around me to get a good one. I'd settle for a picture of a good one about now.
Altitude Brewery, Laramie Wyoming or Duke's in Saratoga both have good Rueben's.
The little shop with the deli sandwiches on National Ave has been gone for years, now. Darn it!

When were you in our little burg?
Posted By: Orion2000 Re: Reuben sandwich registry - 06/03/17
Izzy Kadetz's in downtown Cincinnati... Great Reubens, and don't forget the potato pancake...
You cannbot get a decetn Rueben in Texas.
Posted By: CP Re: Reuben sandwich registry - 06/03/17
If you want a good smoked meat sandwich (Reuben),you need to try Schwartz's Montreal Hebrew Delicatessen. A command of Yiddish or French would probably make ordering easier, but trust me they understand English too. CP.
Doesn't a Ruben have that nasty azz thousand island dressing on it? Mayonnaise and ketchup....how awful!
That's a pretty good sounding sandwich.

Shoiuld try one....once the registry makes it to Montana.
Posted By: add Re: Reuben sandwich registry - 06/03/17
Originally Posted by Gun_Geezer

[Linked Image]

NY Katz Deli in Houston

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
Doesn't a Ruben have that nasty azz thousand island dressing on it? Mayonnaise and ketchup....how awful!

mohick, that you? grin

Actually, ketchup and mayo is better known as 'fry sauce' in most places.

Reading from a bottle of Ken's Steakhouse Thousand Island dressing the biggest ingredients are not mayo and ketchup but rather soybean oil and chili sauce (the chili sauce containing tomatoes and vinegar like ketchup but in smaller quantities). 1,000 island dressing and fry sauce are distinctly different

I believe you're thinking of Russian dressing, which while similar to 1,000 island is noticeably different-tasting and the two big ingredients in Russian dressing? Ketchup and mayo. The dressing normally found on a Reuben? Russian.

P.S. POTUS Trump is going to buy the rights to "Russian Dressing" and his company will be the only ones to market it by FY 2018. grin

P.P.S. Melania Trump will become a Russian citizen (officially). cool
Posted By: las Re: Reuben sandwich registry - 06/03/17

I love them. Contributes greatly to my global warming efforts, but that's probably just me. Doesn't stop me, tho the dog has to roll down the window.

He died a year and a half ago. Probably no connection....
Russian dressing and Thousand Island could not be more different IMHBA. cool
Posted By: bruinruin Re: Reuben sandwich registry - 06/03/17
There's a restaurant near here that offers deep-fried Reuben balls. They are reportedly delicious, but I have yet to try them.

I have eaten my weight in rueben sandwiches, however and have had some good ones, but I've never kept track of where I ate them.
Posted By: The_Yetti Re: Reuben sandwich registry - 06/03/17
Originally Posted by mark shubert
Originally Posted by LouisB

Where in ABQ is this place located? I've got to go down there next week.

I goggled it and there are 2 of them, one just north of 40 and east of 70 and one just south of 40 and west of 70. The one to the Northeast is along the way I take to do some mountain biking when I go down to visit my parents in Los Lunas. I think a reuben will be my post ride lunch next time I visit!
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Posted By: kingston Re: Reuben sandwich registry - 06/27/17
The Marshland's Cape Cod Reuben

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Taconic11 Re: Reuben sandwich registry - 06/27/17
Boar's Head Meats suggests Thousand Island with dark rye or pumpernickel, swiss. If you like Boar's Head, I think it's overpriced. I find Troyers Cold Cuts to be better. Just had one tonight.
Posted By: JSTUART Re: Reuben sandwich registry - 06/27/17

Originally Posted by joken2

Arby's sells a Ruben that surprisingly is not bad at all. Ate one there last Sunday.
Local Mom and Pop restaurant has Rubens on their menu that is pretty good too in my opinion and comes with a side of delicious still hot homemade potato chips.
The old no longer in business Lum's restaurant chain made a pretty decent Ruben sandwich too. Used to be a real treat to stop in Lum's on a blazing hot summer day, order a Ruben and wash it down with a frosted mug of Ballantine Ale, or two, or three.

Nice knowing you Joken.
Posted By: mtnsnake Re: Reuben sandwich registry - 06/27/17
Leave off the sauerkraut and I will try it.
Posted By: LouisB Re: Reuben sandwich registry - 06/27/17
Mark
Did not see a post ABQ visit post, so I have to guess that it like all other food establishment has deteriorated to unacceptable levels?
Posted By: joken2 Re: Reuben sandwich registry - 06/27/17

Originally Posted by JSTUART

Nice knowing you Joken.

shocked eek ...

It's been my experience that different locations of the very same chain of restaurants can vary in cleanliness, quality of the food and service quite a bit and the same goes for different days and shifts, too. Maybe I just happened to order the Ruben sandwich I had at the right Arby's location on the the right day and shift. Like I said before, though, the one I ate wasn't bad at all. That was the first Arby's Ruben I've ever tried and it was surprisingly better than I thought it would be.

I will be sitting with my back to the wall when I eat at Arby's from now on, though... cool ... grin

Posted By: MILES58 Re: Reuben sandwich registry - 06/27/17
Dave,

Nelson's on Como east of Snelling. in St Paul. Both Meet Markets, White Bear and Forest Lake. All three outstanding.
Excellent work gentlemen.

Joken, my favorite thing about Arby's is the food photos on the menu board. Everything looks delicious.
I like to go into an arby's and stare at the food photos until Ii'm super hungry, then leave and go eat a decent meal somewhere else. lol
Originally Posted by Taconic11
Boar's Head Meats suggests Thousand Island with dark rye or pumpernickel, swiss. If you like Boar's Head, I think it's overpriced. I find Troyers Cold Cuts to be better. Just had one tonight.

I found out about Troyers a few weeks ago at an AMish Deli in Ormond Beach, Fl of all places. Good Stuff

They opened an O'briens deli near work a few weeks back, I ordered their Reuben, 1/2 lb of Boars head meat. It was out of this world. They even deliver to my building.
A real Reuben is one of my favorites but I know of not a single place around here that makes one. Pastrami and American cheese are good but they aren't Reuben.
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Reuben sandwich registry - 06/27/17
To continue and then a brief hijack...

The more I cogitate on it, the more I think that the airport where I had the great Reuben (lots of meat, grilled rye with butter, good kraut) was in Detroit. Of all places. Next time I have to go through there - it's an awful airport - I'll be sure to allow enough time between flights to be sure.

And the hijack: The thing I hate most about ALL fast food places is that the food you get never looks anything like the photos. You drool over a tall, packed, perfect sandwich on the menu board, but what you get is a skimpy, sloppy thing that looks like it was run over. Somebody ought to sue the lot of them for false advertising.

End of hijack.
Posted By: 300MAG Re: Reuben sandwich registry - 06/27/17
Mr. Bones - Greensburg, PA
Plus Mart Deli - Frederick, MD
Posted By: shortside Re: Reuben sandwich registry - 06/27/17
Home Town: Lisa's Pasty Pantry in Missoula, MT. Not kidding. Yes, their Reuben is incredible. Perfect every time!

Travelling: Greenberg's Deli on the Las vegas Strip. Styled after real New york Deli, in the lower level of New York New York hotel. Pretty danged good value for a Las Vegas joint.
Posted By: KFWA Re: Reuben sandwich registry - 06/27/17
I'm hungry now after looking at those pics
Posted By: fester Re: Reuben sandwich registry - 06/27/17

Your killing me!! With all the amazing food in your neck of the woods you honestly never had a Rueben?
Originally Posted by heavywalker
My house

I can relate. Dill rye is my go to bread for a nice sandwich. A nice Rueben sandwich. Cold fermented cabbage, good mustard, nice cheese
And a dill pickle works! I don't eat many sandwiches but when I do, the Rueben is at the top of the list.
Posted By: Okanagan Re: Reuben sandwich registry - 06/27/17
Originally Posted by OutlawPatriot
The Local Public House, Bellingham Washington, has the best Reuben I've ever had but you unfortunately have to eat it in Bellingham.

Thank you. Will try it, maybe today.

This thread is a wonderful public service.

FWIW, I have a personal list for good food so value such info (I.e. few good BBQ anywhere and extremely rare in PNW). On my list is Key Lime Pie, which is wonderful when made well but almost never made well. The only key lime pie I can recommend is at Tidal Raves in Depot Bay, OR. And branching out, lemon pepper smoked salmon at the little shop just south of the Hamma Hamma River along Hood Canal in WA.

My mouth is watering.
Posted By: Greyghost Re: Reuben sandwich registry - 06/27/17
Used to be a chain some 35 to 40 years ago here called "The Hofbrau Deli & Pub" that was great... don't think I've been to or seen one since the early 90's.

Phil
Posted By: RS308MX Re: Reuben sandwich registry - 06/27/17
Honestly, I believe that part of the key to a decent reuben (for me) is that the rye bread be pan or grill top toasted with butter. The toasted rye bread must have a little butter in it, enough to make your fingers shiny when you eat it.

Grilled cheese sandwiches need to be like that also.
Posted By: Greyghost Re: Reuben sandwich registry - 06/27/17
Do that with everything that requires bread or a bun... only way to go.

Phil
Originally Posted by Okanagan

Thank you. Will try it, maybe today.

This thread is a wonderful public service.

FWIW, I have a personal list for good food so value such info (I.e. few good BBQ anywhere and extremely rare in PNW). On my list is Key Lime Pie, which is wonderful when made well but almost never made well. The only key lime pie I can recommend is at Tidal Raves in Depot Bay, OR. And branching out, lemon pepper smoked salmon at the little shop just south of the Hamma Hamma River along Hood Canal in WA.

My mouth is watering.

I don't remember having a Rueben in Bellingham however, I don't remember much
when I was there.😉 Fun town!
And to this day The best damn philly cheese steak I've had was in the U district in Seattle.
Hole in the wall joint, dark and empty. Freaking amazing!
Posted By: uncle joe Re: Reuben sandwich registry - 06/28/17

. Used to be a real treat to stop in Lum's on a blazing hot summer day, order a Ruben and wash it down with a frosted mug of Ballantine Ale, or two, or three.

Forgot about Lums. Spent a lot of time in the one on A1A in Ft Lauderdale a block up from the "Elbow Room"
Posted By: Okanagan Re: Reuben sandwich registry - 06/29/17

Done.

Yes! One of my axioms is that food is good in inverse proportion to how tidy it is to eat.

Along that line, this spring we stopped at a roadside BBQ on the road up to Telluride, CO and got some good stuff. I got some on me and the Hispanic waitress said, "If you don't get some on your shirt it's not barbeque!"

I'm heading down to try the Reuben in Bellingham, at the Local Public House Outlaw Patriot recommended. Online reviews say the management changed early this spring and that the fabulous Reuben has changed to smaller and pathetic. I will give them one try...
I might or might not stop at Arby's for a reuben while I take my 80 mile trip to get my truck tonight. I can post pics if ND wishes.
Posted By: Redneck Re: Reuben sandwich registry - 06/29/17
Originally Posted by mtnsnake
Leave off the sauerkraut and I will try it.
Even with that, I won't... My wife loves 'em.. I won't touch 'em.. To each his own.. smile

Originally Posted by White_Bear
I might or might not stop at Arby's for a reuben .
... sick Your favorite tube steaks are on the 'rollo-dog' machine at the local Cenex??

I could never figger out how Arby's can place sliced cardboard between bun halves and call it "roast beef"... Lordy.

Just sayin'...... smile
Far from my favorite but better than no reuben.
Posted By: Okanagan Re: Reuben sandwich registry - 06/29/17

Had it for lunch today. Very good but not great.
Online reviews say that recent new management has reduced the size and quality of their Reuben, though I had never eaten there before so could not say. It was the first item on the menu. Regular size slices of bread with a routine stack of meat, so not a large sandwich. I'd say pan fried bread, messy to eat, shiny fingers, took two large napkins to make it through and I should have asked for a third. Fries were superb cholesterol bombs, fried deep and dark but bendy.
Posted By: deflave Re: Reuben sandwich registry - 06/30/17

Fer fugk sake dude. Have that Chinaman take you somewhere beside chinatown.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: deflave Re: Reuben sandwich registry - 06/30/17
Originally Posted by Gun_Geezer

JFC.

Can we combine the stupidity of this state with the retardation of California and drop a nuke accordingly?

Dave
he has risen?
Posted By: ShadeTree Re: Reuben sandwich registry - 06/30/17
he has risen?

Even my dog just jumped up and done hot laps. grin
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Reuben sandwich registry - 06/30/17
I gotta hand it to him, he had scores of grown men on this board crying and grieving over his absence. Guess they can put down the kleenex now. I knew it was too good to be true.
Posted By: EdM Re: Reuben sandwich registry - 06/30/17
Figured way back it was all bulchitte.
no, no, we kilt him good. someone got his login.
the earth has shifted back on its right axis again.
Posted By: Cruiser1 Re: Reuben sandwich registry - 06/30/17
Excellent work gentlemen.

Joken, my favorite thing about Arby's is the food photos on the menu board. Everything looks delicious.
I like to go into an arby's and stare at the food photos until Ii'm super hungry, then leave and go eat a decent meal somewhere else. lol

Well played, ND.

Arby's; we got the (not very good) bread!
i live in rural, south alabama, where delis are in short supply. a little franchise regional sandwich shop called mama goldberg's offers a pretty decent reuben with good, grilled rye bread. i'm a contrarian about kraut: i hate it. but corned beef, and good swiss, and good rye: mmmmmmmm ...
Posted By: ShadeTree Re: Reuben sandwich registry - 07/18/17
Testing a new photo hosting site.

[Linked Image]

Hey it worked. grin
Posted By: Alamosa Re: Reuben sandwich registry - 07/18/17
The Snug, Washburn, WI

http://www.asnugpub.com/menu.html

FIFY!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: ShadeTree Re: Reuben sandwich registry - 07/18/17

FIFY!

[Linked Image]

Thanks. I was missing the / on the img on the end. Couldn't figure out why I couldn't get it to work. Reuben on Rye and fried zucchini. I don't remember the details but I remember it was good! grin
Posted By: MILES58 Re: Reuben sandwich registry - 07/18/17
For safety's sake...
DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES order a Rueben at the Dock in Stillwater!

It had mayo on it. The kraut tasted awful. The corned beef was almost tasteless, like they'd boiled it in water for a couple days. The bread was a sorry excuse as well. I couldn't eat it..
Posted By: MILES58 Re: Reuben sandwich registry - 07/18/17
For safety's sake...
DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES order a Rueben at the Dock in Stillwater!

It had mayo on it. The kraut tasted awful. The corned beef was almost tasteless, like they'd boiled it in water for a couple days. The bread was a sorry excuse as well. I couldn't eat it..
You probably won't make it to NW Pa, but a place in Titusville , Pa called The Blue Canoe. I would put their Reuben up against anyone's and the fries that come with are also world class. Did I mention they brew their own beer and it is also world class?

MM
Posted By: Aqualung Re: Reuben sandwich registry - 07/19/17
Oregon Diner in Philly has a good one. It's open-faced, so it's knife & fork work.

Now I got a hankerin'

Thanks Dave!

Aqualung
Posted By: kingston Re: Reuben sandwich registry - 07/29/17
Originally Posted by mitchellmountain
You probably won't make it to NW Pa, but a place in Titusville , Pa called The Blue Canoe. I would put their Reuben up against anyone's and the fries that come with are also world class. Did I mention they brew their own beer and it is also world class?

MM

Blue Canoe, I'll have to track that one down!
Posted By: blanket Re: Reuben sandwich registry - 07/29/17
I could use a great Rueben
Posted By: slumlord Re: Reuben sandwich registry - 07/29/17
Originally Posted by Fireball2

been under a rock for ,40 years?, you get the Mannlicker award!!! Now go join him and listen to some Linda Ronstadt or olivia newton john. Gawd.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Reuben sandwich registry - 07/29/17
love the kraut personally, i get the fresh cold pack

Slap some shredded horseradish on too. Can't rec a pub, I'll buy a loaf of marbled rye and a lb of deli corned beef and make a few nights in a row.
Posted By: Pahntr760 Re: Reuben sandwich registry - 07/29/17
JJ's Retro Eatery Union City PA
Posted By: Pahntr760 Re: Reuben sandwich registry - 07/29/17
Originally Posted by mitchellmountain

MM

Check out the Retro Eatery in Union City. It is right in front of the Elementary School.
Posted By: bbassi Re: Reuben sandwich registry - 07/29/17
Dave, I just this week had the BEST Reuben of my life at a place called Ken's Charbroil in Batavia NY. They smoked the corn beef with hickory and some rub, then spiced the thousand island up with a Chipolte seasoning. On Rye of course with a local kraut. I like a good Reuben more than most, but this was way above and beyond.
Posted By: JTman Re: Reuben sandwich registry - 07/29/17
I'll put another plug in for Pa. If anyone is ever near Clearfield Pa there's a place called Denny's Beer Barrel. It's semi famous for it's burgers. The place has been on man vs food as they have a burger challenge (if you can eat a 2lb burger, the bun, and the fixin's within an hour it's free... or something like that).

Anyway, they have a Reuben burger which is basically a Reuben with a burger added to it. I don't go there often but the last three times I've been there I've ordered the Reuben burger. It is one of if not the best burger/sandwich I've ever ate.
Posted By: kingston Re: Reuben sandwich registry - 07/29/17
Originally Posted by Pahntr760
JJ's Retro Eatery Union City PA

And this one!

Originally Posted by bbassi
Dave, I just this week had the BEST Reuben of my life at a place called Ken's Charbroil in Batavia NY. They smoked the corn beef with hickory and some rub, then spiced the thousand island up with a Chipolte seasoning. On Rye of course with a local kraut. I like a good Reuben more than most, but this was way above and beyond.

And this one!
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Reuben sandwich registry - 07/29/17

Got my first one of those on Wednesday. Not bad compared to the other stuff they sell, but NOT a good Reuben really. I knew there was going to be trouble when they asked, "turkey or beef?" Not enough of ANY of the ingredients on that skinny thing. And no dang pickle.

The Giant grocery store in Barcroft (Rt.7, Arlington, VA) made them on a panini press in days gone by. Pretty dang good, and big.
Posted By: joken2 Re: Reuben sandwich registry - 07/29/17

Originally Posted by Pappy348

Got my first one of those on Wednesday. Not bad compared to the other stuff they sell, but NOT a good Reuben really. I knew there was going to be trouble when they asked, "turkey or beef?" Not enough of ANY of the ingredients on that skinny thing. And no dang pickle.

The Giant grocery store in Barcroft (Rt.7, Arlington, VA) made them on a panini press in days gone by. Pretty dang good, and big.

The first Arby's Ruben I ordered was several years ago right after they started started offering them. When I got to our table and opened the wrapper it wasn't a corned beef but turkey Ruben. I was never asked what meat I wanted and I had never heard of a Ruben made with any meat other than corned beef before. Pizzed me off bad!

I would've took it back but we were on lunch break with limited amount of time to eat and drive back to work and I was driving us all in my vehicle so as not to chance making all of us late back to work I made myself eat part of it but hated to. This last time I made certain I got the corned beef Ruben and like I said before it wasn't bad at all. I was satisfied with it for a fast food Ruben. I would order it again if I happen to eat at a Arby's,

Something I've found is different locations can be better or worse than others of the very same restaurant chain, same goes for different shifts at the very same location, and even on different days, be it a Arby's, or whatever.

© 24hourcampfire