Home
Posted By: wabigoon Too Wet, Too Dry? - 06/06/17
We have gone from wet, to dry. A nice rain would be great.

How are you doing weather wise?
Posted By: m1rifleman Re: Too Wet, Too Dry? - 06/06/17
must be global drying going on here whistle
Posted By: srwshooter Re: Too Wet, Too Dry? - 06/06/17
you sound like a farmer.
Posted By: Blackheart Re: Too Wet, Too Dry? - 06/06/17
It's been raining 5 days a week here for the past two months. My yard is like a swamp. I'm going to start building an ark tomorrow.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Too Wet, Too Dry? - 06/06/17
Originally Posted by wabigoon

we are still over 6 inches down in rainfall for the year, but over the past few weeks, have gotten some good soakers. Today is supposed to be another. Bring it on. smile
Posted By: milespatton Re: Too Wet, Too Dry? - 06/06/17
Same here. I am afraid that I will lose my tomato's to fungus (septoria) as I have for the past two years. They were looking good when this long wet spell hit. I saw some signs yesterday. miles
Posted By: billy336 Re: Too Wet, Too Dry? - 06/06/17
Super dry but it's here now. My mangos need it
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: Too Wet, Too Dry? - 06/06/17
We've had rain each day for the last 5 or 6 days. Some days just a shower, some days an inch or more.
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Too Wet, Too Dry? - 06/06/17
We had 3 1/2 inches here early yesterday. Minor flooding, and as usual, had to remove lots of debris on my fence next to the creek. I'm going to have to do something, as the flooding is getting worse on this small stream. I could blame it on global warming, but it's more likely all the log jams and dead trees that are clogging it up. Supposed to be rain free the rest of the week, which will work because I need to get some garden and farm work done.
Posted By: Beoceorl Re: Too Wet, Too Dry? - 06/06/17
We're just about right. Enough rain to keep the tomatoes happy, but not so much that the bees aren't flying.
Posted By: StoneCutter Re: Too Wet, Too Dry? - 06/06/17
It rained the majority of May. I sell building materials for masonry and landscaping. It's been a killer. We had the worst May since 2002. We'd have 5 days of rain, then a couple dry days, then 5 days of rain, and so on. The worst part is that sometimes it would only rain a little in the mornings, just enough to make the contractors stay home. I think we're out of our drought now. It's gonna do the same schit this week, then next week it'll be in the 90's. That sucks too.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Too Wet, Too Dry? - 06/06/17
We had near record water this winter. The rangelands have huge amounts of plants growing. It was also fairly warm lately and the cheatgrass is now drying off. Sunday night we had a thunderstorm go through and start 7 rangefires west of us. The cheat isn't completely dry so none of the fires got real big but it's going to be a bad fire year if we don't get summer rains without lightning.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Too Wet, Too Dry? - 06/06/17
Fair to dry here.

An inch and a half rain keeps things green, but doesn't go very far into the ground. Had several of those so far, but they are spaced so that things are not very saturated at all.
Posted By: mtnsnake Re: Too Wet, Too Dry? - 06/06/17
Baking soda has fungicidal properties that can stop or reduce the spread of early and late tomato blight.
Posted By: wilkeshunter Re: Too Wet, Too Dry? - 06/06/17
Pretty wet here, and been that way all spring. Great for the pond, but mowing twice a week is becoming a drag.
Any idea on the mixture. I will try about anything that might help. I tried a commercial fungicide a few years ago with little to no result. miles
Posted By: Duckhunter Re: Too Wet, Too Dry? - 06/06/17
Pretty dry up here in NEMO.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Too Wet, Too Dry? - 06/06/17
No rain for about two months.

Dry.

Of course it is all relative.

If my father in law in New Zealand does not get about 5 inches a month he is dry. We would do nicely right now with an inch.
"Simply mix 2 tablespoons of baking soda, 2 tablespoons of horticultural oil and about 4 drops of dish soap into 2 gallons of water. Shake well and start spraying your tomato plants.

Found this but have no idea what Horticultural oil is or where to find it. miles
Posted By: RS308MX Re: Too Wet, Too Dry? - 06/06/17
Rain and more rain, then it rains again! More rain today and in the mid 50*s. Cool for the first week of June. Streams, ponds, rivers and lakes are full, and then some. Everything is green and lush and growing like crazy. When we finally get some warmth and sunshine the plant life will really explode. So will the mosquito population! frown
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Too Wet, Too Dry? - 06/06/17
Originally Posted by milespatton
"Simply mix 2 tablespoons of baking soda, 2 tablespoons of horticultural oil and about 4 drops of dish soap into 2 gallons of water. Shake well and start spraying your tomato plants.

Found this but have no idea what Horticultural oil is or where to find it. miles
I think it's just Dormant Oil, used for spraying trees.
Posted By: hatari Re: Too Wet, Too Dry? - 06/06/17
It's a little soggy here. We could use a week off from rain, but it beats that mega drought we had 8-9 years ago.
Posted By: RickyD Re: Too Wet, Too Dry? - 06/06/17
Originally Posted by wabigoon

I heard today on the way to work that it is too wet now, and planted seed will rot if surrounded by wet earth.

I doubt it, but it appears agricultural fake news has been around about as long as political fake news.
Posted By: hanco Re: Too Wet, Too Dry? - 06/06/17
We were starting to get dry, but caught some rain.
Posted By: ShadeTree Re: Too Wet, Too Dry? - 06/06/17
Originally Posted by hatari
It's a little soggy here. We could use a week off from rain, but it beats that mega drought we had 8-9 years ago.

That's how I am. Continual rain especially every weekend can get frustrating, but I'll take that any day of the week over being bone dry.
Posted By: Pat85 Re: Too Wet, Too Dry? - 06/06/17
It rained enough for awhile, starting to lose money over it.
Posted By: Crow hunter Re: Too Wet, Too Dry? - 06/06/17
We're about to be washed away here, it's raining non-stop it seems. I've got mold growing in places I didn't know mold could grow.

If it follows true to the last couple of years it'll rain continuously until the end of June then it'll stop and we'll have a drought until the first of December.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Too Wet, Too Dry? - 06/06/17
Just about right here. I'm not hoping for a repeat of last summer/fall though. Worse fall I've had here yet.
Posted By: Steve Re: Too Wet, Too Dry? - 06/07/17
Finally dried out here and been nice. 80's at the house today. But the Rose Festival low pressure system is moving in, so rain at the end of the week through the weekend.
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Too Wet, Too Dry? - 06/07/17
It is beyond dry here. August in June type of deal, grass is going quick, lots of un-germinated grain laying in dry ground.

It's turned into the type of weather pattern where things are gonna be zero'd out on dryland farming. Disaster area.

We're pumping 7 million gallons a day for our flood irrigated fields.

Lots of wind.

And hardly a mosquito to be found....

Posted By: wabigoon Re: Too Wet, Too Dry? - 06/07/17
I have to feel for you, and your neighbors Sam. Do you have crop insurance? I know if you do, it will only cut loses.
Richard, insurance should cover input costs.

We didn't seed much dryland this year and run old equipment so not a huge deal.

The guys with payments and leases could get stung.

We've got a little wheat in the bin, maybe the price will go up...

Pastures look like chit though. That hurts.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Too Wet, Too Dry? - 06/07/17
Sam, my older brother worked part time at the old Sioux City stockyards in the early 50's. He told of dry in the west, and better cattle coming in from the west as the dry kept up.

You, and your father have enough fodder to feed this summer if you need to?
We still have some haystack left but need to get these last 30-40 late calvers out of here and onto clean pasture.

I am tired of feeding damn cows every day!
Posted By: Bama_Rick Re: Too Wet, Too Dry? - 06/07/17
Our local news just said if the rain can hold out another couple hours, it will mark the 11th day of measurable rain in Mobile, AL.

It is wet.
Posted By: muleshoe Re: Too Wet, Too Dry? - 06/07/17
That's too bad Sam, hope you get some relief soon. It's looking like we will have a tremendous hay season here.

We've had a lot of hit and miss showers around here and we had a pretty wet stretch earlier in April/May that left us with some good subsoil moisture. Would never turn down a nice rain though.

It's been quite a few years since we've had a really tough growing season that caused a huge loss in yield. The hybrids that are available nowadays have taken some of the risks out of our life. They can withstand a lot of dry.
Muleshoe, I cut a little hay today and it might make a ton to the acre. Usually +2 ton ground.

We had good sub moisture but it literally hasn't rained in a couple months.

I think ND and SD are dry as well.
Posted By: las Re: Too Wet, Too Dry? - 06/07/17
128 degrees in Pakistan today.... smile
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Too Wet, Too Dry? - 06/07/17
Yeah, at least I am not farming in Pakistan.

Gonna put some hat down in the next couple days. Try to salvage some of it.
© 24hourcampfire