Home
Posted By: VarmintGuy Your Favorite Ethnic Foods - 06/21/17
I am NOT much of a world traveler but I do enjoy different foods - some from different cultures.
I even enjoy the food vans along Hawaii's coastal roads that sell a combination of Teriyaki and Spam delicacies!
I would rate my favorite ethnic foods thusly:

#1: Chinese (the Americanized stuff)
#2: Mexican (the Americanized stuff)
#3: Cajun
#4: Thai (the Americanized stuff)
#5: Alaskan Seafood (including Crab, Clams and fish) fresh

I am making myself hungry!
I'd be interested to see other folks favorites.
Bon Appetit
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Your Favorite Ethnic Foods - 06/21/17
I was thinking in terms of a single food when I read the title. Mine would be Swedish potato bologna.
Posted By: sawbuck Re: Your Favorite Ethnic Foods - 06/21/17
I'm going with eyetalian....According to Paulie, they taught the world how to eat.
mexican, from the interior
mexican, from the coast
mexican, del norte
chinese
thai
home
According to Sheldon's mother, spaghetti is what the Romans forced Jesus to eat.
Originally Posted by 5sdad
According to Sheldon's mother, spaghetti is what the Romans forced Jesus to eat.

Pasta was introduced to Italy by Marco Polo. You're around 1,200 years off with that one.
N.C. BBQ! About as ethnic as it gets for me.
Fajitas, especially when Wifey makes em, a side of fresh jalepenos from the garden and three of four cold beers puts me not worth a chit for anything the rest of the day.
5sdad: I should have been more clear in my post title - you are right.
I have never eaten Swedish Potato Bologna!
IS... there such a thing?
Again Bon Appetit.

Wilkeshunter: I do enjoy a good BBQ myself.
American as Apple Pie.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Greek, Italian, what Americans call Mexican, Cajun, Indian smoked salmon, Brazilian, Thai, Hawaiian pig in a pit, Chinese... that is in order of preference today.
Originally Posted by mrmarklin

Pasta was introduced to Italy by Marco Polo. You're around 1,200 years off with that one.

We need an "obscure television reference" icon.
Posted By: TheKid Re: Your Favorite Ethnic Foods - 06/21/17
Something that I'd almost forgotten in my long absence from home but have rediscovered since my return. Indian tacos. Couple older Kiowa gals here jn town who get together and cook em up for fundraisers and such make absolutely mind blowing frybread.
Bul go gi - Korean
Posted By: 325Abn Re: Your Favorite Ethnic Foods - 06/21/17

And Marco Polo was Croatian (i've been to his birth city, Korcula many times). So, is spaghetti Croatian? Hardly.....
Well, its Tuesday. So we made tacos. Made pizza last night.

We made Broccoli beef the other night.

Sometimes we make spaghetti.

Sometime I put a pork chop on a green willow and cook it on a fire. Not sure what that would classify as.
Bacon!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Originally Posted by TheKid
Something that I'd almost forgotten in my long absence from home but have rediscovered since my return. Indian tacos. Couple older Kiowa gals here jn town who get together and cook em up for fundraisers and such make absolutely mind blowing frybread.

That aint no schitt.

One positive aspect of living smack between two reservations....you can usually find some fry bread.
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
5sdad: I should have been more clear in my post title - you are right.
I have never eaten Swedish Potato Bologna!
IS... there such a thing?
Again Bon Appetit.

Wilkeshunter: I do enjoy a good BBQ myself.
American as Apple Pie.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Let me know if you ever find yourself in my part of the world. I'll treat you to some great local pig.
Tansinator: I enjoy bacon also but never eat breakfasts - I have to cook it up for a B.L.T. at lunch time.
I think my favorite "Russian food (?) is Beef Stroganoff made with top quality ingredients.
Umm... umm!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
cowboy , what ever I can find . or mexican
Posted By: NVhntr Re: Your Favorite Ethnic Foods - 06/21/17
Pancakes
Originally Posted by 325Abn

And Marco Polo was Croatian (i've been to his birth city, Korcula many times). So, is spaghetti Croatian? Hardly.....

ah, how far is croatia from italy?
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Your Favorite Ethnic Foods - 06/21/17
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

That aint no schitt.

One positive aspect of living smack between two reservations....you can usually find some fry bread.

grrrr mad I hate you guys! wink

Geno

PS Hopefully the res near where my wife lives has a stand , I'm going to be there fulltime soon and sure could use some.
Love a good, fresh Indian taco.
What kinda cheese do you usually find on an Indian taco?
Mexican....duh....grin
For me?

Korean
Thai
Italian
Persian
Greek
Polish

Too many to list!
I'm pretty sure the plains Indians weren't making the mentioned 'ethnic' food back in the day.
Posted By: add Re: Your Favorite Ethnic Foods - 06/21/17
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy

#1: Chinese (the Americanized stuff)
#2: Mexican (the Americanized stuff)
#3: Cajun
#4: Thai (the Americanized stuff)
#5: Alaskan Seafood (including Crab, Clams and fish) fresh

I am making myself hungry!

Applebee's is your favorite ethnic food then?
No order of preference, when I'm in a Metro area that has a variety I'm posed with serious decisions!

Greek- almost anything in there "pantheon" of goodies.

"Middle Eastern"- again just about any kind I've tried, bulgur wheat, Turkish coffee, falafel etc etc etc

Mexican------ Ha anyone who has read any of my posts about Mexican food knows I can't live without it.

Italian---------- Duh, see name at bottom of post.

Eastern European/ Russian--- I'm leaving the Spokane area and will miss Mariupol grocery. I stocked up a bit on buckwheat groats and canned fish.

Native American------- Acorn soup in AZ, Fry bread, moose a friend canned in AK

English----- fish and chips, bangers

Swedish---Korv

"Jewish" about anything from the delis we used to go to in NY

"Soul/Southern" Greens, fired chicken, biscuits and gravy, on and on and on.

French-----pastries

German----- kraut, red cabbage, sauerbratten---- keep going.

Who'd I forget? Oh well, still some daylight here and more work to do.

Geno

PS oops, Japanese------------SASHIMI!!!!!!!!!!! and other stuff
Chinese------------- good mu shu, green beans and beef in black bean sauce, oh my , there's so many other dishes too.
Thai-----------everything they make without peanuts everything!
Originally Posted by SamOlson
I'm pretty sure the plains Indians weren't making the mentioned 'ethnic' food back in the day.

Spoil Sport!

Geno

PS Really? you mean they couldn't go to the store for flour and salt and baking soda/powder?
Mexican....duh....grin

Sounds much better than my first thought.
Indian (meat or veg, asian indians are the only people who can make vegetation edible)
good old American BBQ! TX and KC style preferably

those two are favorite by a long shot.... then ....

middle eastern
greek (which is a lot like middle eastern)
Brazilian BBQ
good old american Pizza
chinese, sichuan style, but not the fancy cantonese style
thai (soup or curry type dishes)
korean BBQ (bul go gi etc)
the kind of portuguese food I had in RSA
good old fashioned american hamburgers
japanese, some but not all types, love sushi rolls don't like sashimi

more or less in that order preference, not that order of how often I get to eat each one.... if I ate them in order of preference, the order of the list would probably change...

Poole
Pakistani food for me

Originally Posted by RoninPhx
Originally Posted by 325Abn

ah, how far is croatia from italy?

Croatia is not far from Italy. Pasta was invented in China. Polo brought the concept to Italy.
By far my favorite ethnic is French. Brilliant hedonism!

I prefer original cuisine as near as I can get. I don't like ethnic restaurants that have too many white people in them, except French, of course!

My next favorite would be Indian food. Endless variety.
Married to a Chinese gal, I eat homestyle Chinese food every other day or so, and like most of it pretty well. My favorite, though is Eastern Shore (Maryland) seafood. I think waterman qualify as an ethnic group.
Originally Posted by Valsdad
No order of preference, when I'm in a Metro area that has a variety I'm posed with serious decisions!

Greek- almost anything in there "pantheon" of goodies.

"Middle Eastern"- again just about any kind I've tried, bulgur wheat, Turkish coffee, falafel etc etc etc

Mexican------ Ha anyone who has read any of my posts about Mexican food knows I can't live without it.

Italian---------- Duh, see name at bottom of post.

Eastern European/ Russian--- I'm leaving the Spokane area and will miss Mariupol grocery. I stocked up a bit on buckwheat groats and canned fish.

Native American------- Acorn soup in AZ, Fry bread, moose a friend canned in AK

English----- fish and chips, bangers

Swedish---Korv

"Jewish" about anything from the delis we used to go to in NY

"Soul/Southern" Greens, fired chicken, biscuits and gravy, on and on and on.

French-----pastries

German----- kraut, red cabbage, sauerbratten---- keep going.

Who'd I forget? Oh well, still some daylight here and more work to do.

Geno

PS oops, Japanese------------SASHIMI!!!!!!!!!!! and other stuff
Chinese------------- good mu shu, green beans and beef in black bean sauce, oh my , there's so many other dishes too.
Thai-----------everything they make without peanuts everything!

Holy moly! Thats quite a list.

I bet I have not tried three quarters of that stuff.

The town north of me has one restaurant in it. American joint......run by Koreans. Good selection.

Any thing "ethnic" I have to try and cook for my self. Gonna try to make me some actual Goulash/Goulas some day. Got a big can of Hungarian paprika.
Jim,

that's not a full list

I forgot the

Armenian food-------lamajoune, souboreg, manti--------------------

Persian food

Indian food

Korean food

Central American food ----------------yummy empanadas!

who knows maybe a few more?

Geno
Posted By: TheKid Re: Your Favorite Ethnic Foods - 06/21/17

Spoil Sport!

Geno

PS Really? you mean they couldn't go to the store for flour and salt and baking soda/powder?

The way I understand it the frybread taco comes from the early days on the res when injuns were given a ration of flour and beans. So while not exactly ancient traditional indian food, they have been making them for a while anyway
You got me beat big time Geno. I need to get out more!

Thats a pretty big benefit to living near or in a big city I suppose.

I did not see New Zealand food on your list though. Its mostly meat pies from a gas station or mutton roasts.

The mutton roasts are really good.
I thought you Montana guys were just into mutton rumps?
mescan/ tripas/s
No, we like other parts of the sheep too.

There is lots to love on a sheep.

Spoil Sport!

Geno

The way I understand it the frybread taco comes from the early days on the res when injuns were given a ration of flour and beans. So while not exactly ancient traditional indian food, they have been making them for a while anyway

Kid,

I knew that, I can't find the sarcasm emoticon. (I've lived on a reservation, had "Indian" friends)

Sam might have been talking about pre-ration days too.

Geno

PS, not uncommon for poor folks to eat something made from flour and beans. Mexicans have bean burritos, Italian have paste e [bleep].

PPS, hey my Dago brothers this silly forum bleeps fa gio li. How d'ya like that . mad Can't even use the old language. (and no one else gets to call us Dagos grin)

LOL

chit Sam vikings eat thunder and chit lighting don't be kidding us.
Haha! Glad you cleared that up.

I was never going to figure out what Pasta E BLEEP was.

No doubt the process of elimination was going to be interesting on the Google.
You got me beat big time Geno. I need to get out more!

Thats a pretty big benefit to living near or in a big city I suppose.

I did not see New Zealand food on your list though. Its mostly meat pies from a gas station or mutton roasts.

The mutton roasts are really good.

Jim,

Perhaps someday I'll get to sample it. I'd love to visit and go hunting. I'll probably pass on the gas station food. All these years I've not run across too much good gas station food. One or two in out of the way places with Mama out in the back cooking homestyle food maybe, but on the whole I'd rather eat "fast food" and I rarely do that.

Now the mutton roasts sound yummy. I used to love Campbell's Scotch Broth soup, no one else I knew liked the mutton flavor.

I just had Luke for dinner, my niece raised him last year for 4H! Too young and tender to be called mutton though.

I grew up in NYC and San Diego, and have lived in many areas like near Las Vegas, Fresno (loads of Armenians there), Sacramento and Portlandia so I've been blessed with the opportunity to sample many cuisines.

Geno
I like it all. I like to experience new things and am interested in what other peoples/cultures eat and drink.

I've got booze in my cabinet from all over the world. It's all interesting in it's own way.

I have a special place in my stomach for Mexican food. Mexicans know what's good. Meat, fat, salt, beans, rice, peppers, corn and salsa. Limes are good on everything.

One of the coolest things I get to eat sometimes is Hopi Piki bread and Hopi rabbit stew. A friend of mine is Hopi and often times he saves me a few portions from the year-end feast they have. At the end of the year the Hopi have a feast and a ceremony and part of that is all the men go on a rabbit hunt for several days. If I have it right they can shoot almost anything and if they shoot a big deer it becomes part of the ceremony etc but mostly they get rabbits and that's what they're targeting. The stew they make is rabbit, corn (large, bland like hominy), not sure what else. The women prepare everything for several days. The whole rabbit goes in the pot, bones and all and cooks in large pots. Even the head, you find all the parts. You eat it with piki bread which is similar to super-fine rolled corn tortilla chips. The blue corn is stone-ground and an interesting process. Together with the stew it's really a terrific meal. It's simple, it's savory, it's wholesome and it's unique. And you can't just go buy this stuff, this is food from the year-end feast of one sect of the Arizona Hopi tribe and I get to eat it. Ain't too many white-asses ever gonna have this meal. That's pretty fuggin cool.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by huntinaz
I like it all. I like to experience new things and am interested in what other peoples/cultures eat and drink.

I've got booze in my cabinet from all over the world. It's all interesting in it's own way.

I have a special place in my stomach for Mexican food. Mexicans know what's good. Meat, fat, salt, beans, rice, peppers, corn and salsa. Limes are good on everything.

One of the coolest things I get to eat sometimes is Hopi Piki bread and Hopi rabbit stew. A friend of mine is Hopi and often times he saves me a few portions from the year-end feast they have. At the end of the year the Hopi have a feast and a ceremony and part of that is all the men go on a rabbit hunt for several days. If I have it right they can shoot almost anything and if they shoot a big deer it becomes part of the ceremony etc but mostly they get rabbits and that's what they're targeting. The stew they make is rabbit, corn (large, bland like hominy), not sure what else. The women prepare everything for several days. The whole rabbit goes in the pot, bones and all and cooks in large pots. Even the head, you find all the parts. You eat it with piki bread which is similar to super-fine rolled corn tortilla chips. The blue corn is stone-ground and an interesting process. Together with the stew it's really a terrific meal. It's simple, it's savory, it's wholesome and it's unique. And you can't just go buy this stuff, this is food from the year-end feast of one sect of the Arizona Hopi tribe and I get to eat it. Ain't too many white-asses ever gonna have this meal. That's pretty fuggin cool.

[Linked Image]

I'm pretty sure I'd enjoy that.

Geno, the fish and chips is awesome. The best fish to eat down there is called Blue Cod. Its not actually a cod, but very good. The shark is good too, and cheaper.

Most every small town has at least one Pub in it. New Zealand does not really have cafes, mostly pubs and some good food is to be had there. The meat pies at the pubs are generally good.

I ate mutton for the first time when I went down there. I was worried because I had heard from the old men around here that mutton was terrible, especially cold mutton.

My father in law cooked great mutton. He would go out and kill a ewe that was no older than two years. Only the ewes that did not breed would be eaten. Then he ran them on lush grass to finish them.

Wonderful meat. Nothing like a old skinny ewe the herders used to eat up here.

He never eats lamb. I guess for the same reason that I dont eat veal. Dont eat what you make your money on.

I dont suppose I will ever get the opportunity to try as many cuisines as you, but someday when I am old I want to go to Eastern Europe and bum around some. I think I would fit in with those guys a bit better than the Western types.
Anything with rabbit in it is good.

Cool story about the stew and bread.
Originally Posted by stxhunter

[Linked Image]

I'm pretty sure I'd enjoy that.

I bet you would Roger.

huntinaz,

you're makin' me hungry and miss AZ too.

you can count me as one of the white-asses that has at least had the piki bread. Not the rabbit stew though, but if it's as good as the Acorn Stew up on the Ft Apache res I bet it's yummy. Seems I remember the older women having roadside stands in the fall when the acorns dropped. Miss it and you have to wait another year.

Geno

PS, I think it's the ashes that make the piki taste so good!
mescan/ tripas/s

Tripas is awesome.

Geno, the fish and chips is awesome. The best fish to eat down there is called Blue Cod. Its not actually a cod, but very good. The shark is good too, and cheaper.

Most every small town has at least one Pub in it. New Zealand does not really have cafes, mostly pubs and some good food is to be had there. The meat pies at the pubs are generally good.

I ate mutton for the first time when I went down there. I was worried because I had heard from the old men around here that mutton was terrible, especially cold mutton.

My father in law cooked great mutton. He would go out and kill a ewe that was no older than two years. Only the ewes that did not breed would be eaten. Then he ran them on lush grass to finish them.

Hoping to take a trip to NZ next April or so. My sister and brother-in-law just moved down there a few months ago. They've been eating trevally and peacocks and bought/butchered a sheep which I believe they are happy with. I guess there are turkey, peacock and feral goats everywhere.

Letting them figure out a bunch of good hunting/fishing/other seafood situations and then I'll come down and plunder/feast smile

He never eats lamb. I guess for the same reason that I dont eat veal. Dont eat what you make your money on.

I dont suppose I will ever get the opportunity to try as many cuisines as you, but someday when I am old I want to go to Eastern Europe and bum around some. I think I would fit in with those guys a bit better than the Western types.

Jim, I bet if you (or I) ever get to Eastern Europe (or the Balkans) and can go hunting there we'd find some great stuff in hunting camp in Hungary, Romania, etc. I'd hazard a guess that the sausages and cheeses are to die for.

I eat veal and lamb. I don't make my money from them. grin You two fellas keep raising them for me will ya' ?

Geno

PS As for fish, wanna know my favorite one?

the one that's on my plate!
i just can't eat chicken feet, Leighton was eating the chit out them in china town, it was one of the few things i can't eat.

huntinaz,

you can count me as one of the white-asses that has at least had the piki bread. Not the rabbit stew though, but if it's as good as the Acorn Stew up on the Ft Apache res I bet it's yummy. Seems I remember the older women having roadside stands in the fall when the acorns dropped. Miss it and you have to wait another year.

Geno

Piki bread rocks. I love it. The corn is so rich and bland at the same time, the ashes smooth it out and add such a soft texture... it's really something.

I'll have to check out the acorn stew if I can, that sounds good.

The rabbit stew is an acquired taste. I like it better every year, but I love what it is and what it represents. It's a celebration and a request for a fertile year, it's resourceful (they don't waste much) and it's tradition from a distant time. It's fairly bland, dunno if they add salt. It tastes like animal, corn, and earth. It's not something a white man would ever serve in a restaurant by any means. It's another people's tradition and it's very special to them and so it's very special to me. It represents life and I appreciate it very much.

huntinaz,

Geno

Piki bread rocks. I love it. The corn is so rich and bland at the same time, the ashes smooth it out and add such a soft texture... it's really something.

I'll have to check out the acorn stew if I can, that sounds good.

The rabbit stew is an acquired taste. I like it better every year, but I love what it is and what it represents. It's a celebration and a request for a fertile year, it's resourceful (they don't waste much) and it's tradition from a distant time. It's fairly bland, dunno if they add salt. It tastes like animal, corn, and earth. It's not something a white man would ever serve in a restaurant by any means. It's another people's tradition and it's very special to them and so it's very special to me. It represents life and I appreciate it very much.

You've got that right, serve this kind of stuff in a white folks restaurant and you go out of business.

The acorn stew was the same for me. I was glad to be able to share some of their culture. I believe the lady selling it told me she didn't get many of us whities stopping for some stew. Pretty bland stuff too, the acorns are leached of course to get the tannins out, then ground up a bit and put in the "stew" with some range beef. No doubt they used whatever game was available in the past, but the White Mtn Apache Tribe has lots of range cattle, some of it pretty wild. I lived on the res and saw some that looked like they hadn't seen a roundup for a few years.

It's been 15 years since I left that area (God, that long ago, really?) so I have no idea if the older women still have their stands. Let us know here on the 'fire if you ever get up that way and see some. Maybe I'll put in for a hunt in that area (Unit 1 or 3 maybe) and see if I can still get a bowl.

Mostly, when I move to an area, out of respect for the locals, I try to learn a bit about the culture, whether it be the Apaches in Whiteriver, the German/Swedish/Polish Europeans in NW PA, the old white AK families and the Tlingit when I lived in Juneau.

Now, when I retire to NE Cali, I get to find out about Pit River tribal culture. I already know where the Basque restaurant is and know a member or two of an older family there.

Geno

PS, someday, next time I dig them out after my move, I'll have to take some pics of the pair of Apache "boots" ( tall moccasins) I made there at the local community college in Whiteriver. Our instructor took her mother's apart to get a pattern for how they were made in the old days, She thought her mom's were made in the early 20th century. Mom didn't speak English and had been born while they were still fighting "us". I still hunt in them in nice weather.
Watermelon, fried chicken and colored greens!
Posted By: jimmyp Re: Your Favorite Ethnic Foods - 06/21/17
chitlins
I never considered Cajun as ethnic, but if it is, than it's my favorite by a goodly margin.
Tamales and frijoles. I could live on em!
Anything out of Mom's kitchen. It may be her home made spaghetti sauce, her Polish dill pickles, or her chili. Sure to miss her style of home cookin'. If I was forced to pick one ethnikcity, I'd have to go with Italian. The area of Ohio I grew up in had a lot of old world Italians, and man could they cook.
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Your Favorite Ethnic Foods - 06/21/17
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie

I'll pass on the watermelon. it makes me burp for a week. But, I'll take fried chicken any day of the week, and collard greens are pretty good too. I like Mexican and Chinese. I think Western Kentucky style pork BBQ is the best I've had. Our burgoo, and not what Moonlite in Owensboro sells, is like manna from Heaven.
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie

If they're colored, are they still greens?
Anything with rabbit in it is good. ...

So, you like "hare" in your food?

On, or in? wink
It's probably easier to figure what foods I don't like than all the ones I do, and there really aren't that many I don't.

For ethnic foods my favorites would probably lean towards SE Asia (in the broad sense) Thai, Laotian, Vietnamese, Indian. There's just something about the aromatics and spices in those foods, I still remember a trip to Singapore 20 years ago and the incredible spicy flavorful foods. But you can expand out from that circle to Chinese, Korean and Japanese cuisine and I'm still quite happy, or head west through the middle East and North Africa and it's all good. We were invited to an Ethiopian couple's baptism for their baby, and the traditional foods they brought were delicious.

No slam intended on Mexican and South/Central American cuisine, I can put away street tacos like nobodies business, asada, pollo, lengua, adobada it's all good, especially with freshly made corn tortillas, very, very good. Speaking of which, I just might need to bang out a pot of pork adobada and some tortillas

[Linked Image]

I tried Indian food once, in Billings Montana.

I did not like it, but probably Billings was not the place to try it.
Feather or dot?
Feather or dot?

Whiskey or slurpee?
Vietnamese, but that may be because it's something I'm not good at cooking myself.
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
Speaking of which, I just might need to bang out a pot of pork adobada and some tortillas

[Linked Image]

Dang, that looks wonderful. I just finished breakfast and now I'm hungry again!

Geno
No, we like other parts of the sheep too. There is lots to love on a sheep.

sheeps are nice but the heavy tail can cause a lot of damage , you have to be an expert. goats are ok but talk too much ( bah bah .. ) shut up.

P.
458 Lott: That sure looks good!
I bet that would be just scrumptious after returning to camp from a long November days Elk Hunting in the Rockies.
Dang I am getting hungry again.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: JSTUART Re: Your Favorite Ethnic Foods - 06/21/17

Steak and vegetables...when I really want to mix it with culinary greats I go for T-bone steak and chips with mushroom sauce.
I am a fan of spicey, so most any Messican dish. But the absolute bomb is an Indian curry dish the wife makes. She thinks yogurt is spicey hot, so I was surprised that she loves it, too. It's chicken and some select veggies in a cream curry sauce. It's served over rice and generously sprinkled with crushed peanuts and raisins. She also sprinkles hers with coconut, but I'm not a fan. Man my mouth is watering just typing this.
French fries
Tacos
Posted By: BeanMan Re: Your Favorite Ethnic Foods - 06/21/17
Vietnamese
French, but I don't mean fries.
Posted By: trplem Re: Your Favorite Ethnic Foods - 06/21/17
Thai and Mexican restaurants are quite good in my town.

Taken from the Chinese. The original Chinese food.
Originally Posted by Hancock27
Bul go gi - Korean

Gaegogi was kinda tasty, but my perspective might have been tainted by the six-pack of OB and soju highballs I downed prior. crazy
Kalbi is the shiznitz of Korean BBQ
Originally Posted by PrimeBeef
Bul go gi - Korean

Gaegogi was kinda tasty, but my perspective might have been tainted by the six-pack of OB and soju highballs I downed prior. crazy

Schnauzer or Bassett Hound?
Originally Posted by DownWind
Originally Posted by PrimeBeef
Bul go gi - Korean

Schnauzer or Bassett Hound?

Haha. I'd eat that schitt.

When I was in school at U of A I was interning at a mail-order pharmacy and the conversation turned to balut. I had recently seen a show, probably old Andrew Zimmern eating balut so to get a rise out of my coworkers I started going on and on about how if I ever end up on a trip to the Philippines that I'm gonna ONLY eat balut the whole time and I can't wait for a chance to eat balut etc etc. The other intern, Aaron, let me jaw about this for awhile then he says "you know my wife is Philippino, when we go visit her family she gets balut sometimes, her dad loves it. She likes it alright. I won't try it. .. but you know the Asian market on Orange Grove has balut..."

Well, schitt. I wasn't gonna puss out. That week I went and bought 2 balut eggs, sure enough they had it. Duck or chicken. I got both duck. I get to the register and the Asian dude sizes me up and says "these are not eggs, this is called balut."

Me: Yeah, I know
Him: this is duck embryo, not a duck egg
Me: Yeah, got it
Him: you have had this before?
Me: Nope
Him: Ok. Boil for about 45 minutes, let cool, peel the shell, sprinkle with salt and pepper. It's pretty good.

That sumbitch saved my life. I was gonna cook it just like regular eggs for ~12 minutes... shudder

Anyway, I cooked up them duck embryos like he said, let them cool and peeled one. Looked like a goddam mostly formed duck fetus living off a hard-boiled egg yolk. Schitt. I sprinkled with salt and pepper, popped it in my mouth and... hot damn, that wasn't bad. Except for the little bits of keratinization (probably beak and toenail) it was pretty good. Peeled the other one, damn, that does not look appetizing. But it tasted the same, and it was pretty good. Better than a hard-boiled egg. I'll eat it again someday.
All of them.

If I had to die tomorrow favorite? Good ol' Fashion American BBQ. Any region meat and type.
Posted By: rem141r Re: Your Favorite Ethnic Foods - 06/21/17
hunky food for me. perogies, haluski, halupki, etc. i can also rip through some chinese, thai, mexican and eye thai.

hell for that matter, there ain't much ethnic food that i don't like. love gyros, donor kabab, etc too.
Indian. All of it. In fact most middle eastern stuff with meat, rice and a curry.

Mexican street style food.

Thai.

Gyros.
Northern Indian, heavy spices, sheep and goat... awesome stuff
Posted By: Scotty Re: Your Favorite Ethnic Foods - 06/22/17
I love Mexican food. Some of the best tacos I have eaten were in China. That is China, Nuevo Leon, Mexico. Been a few years since I ate there.

Never dated an Indian gal so I wouldn't know how good their tacos are!
Posted By: kwg020 Re: Your Favorite Ethnic Foods - 06/22/17
Originally Posted by deerstalker
mexican, from the interior
mexican, from the coast
mexican, del norte
chinese
thai
home

This covers it, nicely.

kwg
Posted By: LBP Re: Your Favorite Ethnic Foods - 06/22/17
German
Lumpia
I was in love with a couple.
Posted By: taz4570 Re: Your Favorite Ethnic Foods - 06/22/17
Pizza, Chinese, and ice cream. My three main food groups. Ethnicity is not important.
Posted By: mjbgalt Re: Your Favorite Ethnic Foods - 06/22/17
Falafel, tacos, pizza, sushi, thai, hummus, chinese, kibbie.
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Vietnamese, but that may be because it's something I'm not good at cooking myself.

Vietnamese cant possibly equal young tender fried squirrel or Sam Rayburn high fin blue. I will never ea, uh, cook any Vietnamese.
I was in love with a couple.

Please tell me they were lezzies?
Posted By: NVhntr Re: Your Favorite Ethnic Foods - 06/22/17
Originally Posted by Higbean
Lumpia

Now that is some good eating!
Being real general I'd say German. Loves me some schnitzel und spaetzle.

Being specific, and with something that can be whipped up at home quickly and frequently, I have to say guacamole. I could make a whole meal off of it.
Posted By: Prwlr Re: Your Favorite Ethnic Foods - 06/22/17

And tomatoes came to Europe from the New World after 1500.
i had texan today .... a whataburger,,,,,
Korean

Yeah, that was my favorite too. Cherokee flavor, no less, well, until menopause I guess.

You know what Men-oh-pause means? It dont mean "yer fugged". It means "yer chitt outta luck".
Originally Posted by jaguartx

Yeah, that was my favorite too. Cherokee flavor, no less, well, until menopause I guess.

You know what Men-oh-pause means? It dont mean "yer fugged". It means "yer chitt outta luck".

it means find a younger model.
Eastern European fare for me..it's all good!
I have always enjoyed the Polish food. In the home town of New Britain, Ct the Staropolska restaurant serves Polish food .

[Linked Image]
Vietnamese and Thai are probably two of my favorites. The care and "love" that goes into each dish, the contrast in palette from sweet to sour, spicy and aromatic along with the amalgamation of national influences, especially French makes Southeast Asian food one of my favorites. It's not heavy and greasy like Chinese food and very little is fried. I love Indian and Italian also, in fact I like all types of food and am not a picky eater. I enjoy how other cultures use food as a centerpiece of life and family rather than our way of eating crap because we need to eat. I appreciate the effort that goes into the preparation and the love that goes into pleasing the diner with an enjoyable experience. My favorite part about traveling is sampling as much of the local fare as possible. I've had great coffee in Germany and awesome pizza in Austria so there's always pleasant surprises out there waiting to be tried.
Posted By: hookeye Re: Your Favorite Ethnic Foods - 07/06/17
My ex mother in law is French, cooks a leg of lamb at Easter that is simply freakin' fantastic.
She screwed it up once, so it was only wonderful.

My ex did not inherit the cooking gene.
Posted By: GeoW Re: Your Favorite Ethnic Foods - 07/06/17
No. 18
Posted By: EdM Re: Your Favorite Ethnic Foods - 07/06/17
Premised with I really have not had bad Mexican food as it is so regional our little place here in Idaho, Joel's, does what I grew up with in California. Just a nice change from my Texas Mexican stuff that I also enjoy.
I like all of it, from all ethnicities.
Posted By: RickyD Re: Your Favorite Ethnic Foods - 07/06/17
American, Chinese, Italian, Mexican, others, never India Indian, in that order.
I'm pretty easy. I like it all -- especially a thick medium rare rib steak.
Posted By: donsm70 Re: Your Favorite Ethnic Foods - 07/06/17
I really like homemade stuffed grape leaves.

donsm70
Greek
Posted By: Dave_N Re: Your Favorite Ethnic Foods - 07/06/17
Korean, Japanese, and Cuban. Mind you food and I have been good friends for years so I am open to trying most anything once.

Dave
Posted By: Alamosa Re: Your Favorite Ethnic Foods - 07/06/17
German, but I seldom eat it because I'd weigh 300 lbs if I did.
Posted By: GeoW Re: Your Favorite Ethnic Foods - 07/08/17
Dolmades. 👍
I like a lot of real Mexican meals, though I will pass on the Menudo. I have been working with a predominately Hispanic crew for forty years. The tacos they bring for lunch made with home made tortillas and beef or pork in a light clear gravy are delicious. (Never any cheese, tomoato, sour cream, or lettuce) perhaps a bit of pico de gallo on the side.

There is a little restaurant in Boise called " Cancun" where they make pretty good barbecoa, tortillas, and chile rellenos.

But I will take a nice slice of medium rare roast beef, served with steamed russet potatoes, hot corn on the cob, a side of steamed green beans, and a sliced tomato, with peach pie and the obligatory scoop of vanilla ice cream over any meal served anywhere in the world.
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
I like a lot of real Mexican meals, though I will pass on the Menudo. I have been working with a predominately Hispanic crew for forty years. The tacos they bring for lunch made with home made tortillas and beef or pork in a light clear gravy are delicious. (Never any cheese, tomoato, sour cream, or lettuce) perhaps a bit of pico de gallo on the side.

There is a little restaurant in Boise called " Cancun" where they make pretty good barbecoa, tortillas, and chile rellenos.

But I will take a nice slice of medium rare roast beef, served with steamed russet potatoes, hot corn on the cob, a side of steamed green beans, and a sliced tomato, with peach pie and the obligatory scoop of vanilla ice cream over any meal served anywhere in the world.

Panodi is my favorite mexican dish, nice and fresh and raw.
Posted By: akjeff Re: Your Favorite Ethnic Foods - 07/09/17
"PPS, hey my Dago brothers this silly forum bleeps fa gio li. How d'ya like that . mad Can't even use the old language. (and no one else gets to call us Dagos grin)"

So if Dago is out, is wop or perhaps guinea OK? grin

I love Italian food, and Italians for that matter. Grew up with many, and my BIL is Italian. His mom's food is incredible! Not much in the way of food that I don't like.

Jeff
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter

Panodi is my favorite mexican dish, nice and fresh and raw.

can't believe no one has ask me what this is.
Sounds like a type of sushi. 😉
well kinda, it can be fishy.
Mexican poontang??????
yeah
man i could post a pic a chick just sent me earlier and invited me for a little fun with her friend but some on here would get offended by boobs.
Pho during the winter.
Posted By: Seafire Re: Your Favorite Ethnic Foods - 07/09/17
Canadian....

...italian......women.

Pork and sauerkraut
Goulash
Lamb and raw onion
Homemade fried plantains
Sezchuan chicken feet
Originally Posted by ringworm
Homemade fried plantains
Sezchuan chicken feet

chicken feet are one of the few things i can't bring myself to eat.
Posted By: 79S Re: Your Favorite Ethnic Foods - 07/09/17

The best frybread comes off the Navajo Indian reservation.. my wife being Navajo has spoiled me with it granted it's not something you can everyday. She cooks it up when I ask or friends come over..
Posted By: jwall Re: Your Favorite Ethnic Foods - 07/09/17
man i could post a pic a chick just sent me earlier and invited me for a little fun with her friend but some on here would get offended by boobs.

Why WERE you still there typing? ?
Good fsh tacos.

Jamaican patties with callaloo. (Getting harder and harder to find).
© 24hourcampfire