Home
It's been mentioned here before. Looking to get one for lugs on flat tires.

Torque needed?
Power?
Brand?

Thanks.
Unless a 12 volt supply wasn't near, I think I would get a 12 volt that can be plugged in to a car battery,
Doesn't need to be charged up, and probably more power.
Had a buddy had one for his Jeep then he got a drill chuck that fit. Two tools in one.

Posted By: TLB2 Re: Cordless Drill For Wheel Lugs - 06/25/17
Milwaukee M18 fuel is a beast. Some of the 3/8 " impacts will remove lug bolts also.
At home I have an air one, an electric one and I carry a 12 volt one in the vehicle, actually used it on a hunt to swap a guys atv tires around as they were in the wrong position, kinda handy
I use a craftsman 19.2 V lithium has over 200 lb ft of torque.
Originally Posted by 700LH
Unless a 12 volt supply wasn't near, I think I would get a 12 volt that can be plugged in to a car battery,
Had a buddy had one for his Jeep then he got a drill chuck that fit. Two tools in one.

Brand? Model?

That's a possibility. 12v direct from vehicle battery or off the trailer plug. I have a trailer I'd want it for and it has an easily accessed battery.
Get a socket that will work on the jack.

Thank me later. lol
Originally Posted by 257_X_50

Thank me later. lol

Huh?
Originally Posted by ironbender

Thank me later. lol

Huh?

On a screw Jack (or scissor jack) a cordless drill or impact makes the job of raising and lowering the vehicle fast and nearly effortless. I recall a 12vt corded impact being quite useful for lug nuts as well.

Thank me later. lol

Huh?

Thank me later. lol

Huh?

Get a second socket so you can use the cordless to raise and lower the vehicle if it has a screw jack. A 6 point works well enough but a square socket works best.
The lug socket works to raise and lower the tire if it is on a cable.

Get a real 1/2 inch cordless. 18 volt at least.
Originally Posted by kellory

Thank me later. lol

Huh?

On a screw Jack (or scissor jack) a cordless drill or impact makes the job of raising and lowering the vehicle fast and nearly effortless. I recall a 12vt corded impact being quite useful for lug nuts as well.

Dam. Just saw your post. Redundancy seldom hurts.

Got a brand for the corded 12 volt you would recommend??

Thank me later. lol

Huh?

Dam. Just saw your post. Redundancy seldom hurts.

Got a brand for the corded 12 volt you would recommend??

Mine was stolen a few years ago, but I think it came from J.C. Whitney catalog.
I have a craftsman, I'll check the model tomorrow, that has been great on truck and trailer lug nuts. It's never failed, even on some corroded saltwater trailer lug nuts. Might be my favorite tool!

It was fairly cheap to.
Picked up a Ryobi at Home Depot a couple of years ago... 18V, has given real good service...

I like that Idea of using it on a scissor jack...

I usually break the lugs with a breaker bar first... saves wear and tear on the Ryobi...
Originally Posted by TLB2
Milwaukee M18 fuel is a beast. Some of the 3/8 " impacts will remove lug bolts also.

I have a Milwaukee M18 fuel impact driver and it has tons of power. If mine ever goes bad I'll buy another one in a heartbeat.
I have a 19.5 craftsman impact wrench that has lots of power. It will loosen and remove the rear lugs on my 150 Massey Ferguson tractor. Admittedly not all of them on one battery, but several. I have an inverter and just take my charger when traveling, and a spare battery. The chargers now work very fast. Should mention that it is a 1/2 drive. miles

Hear good things about the Milwaukee. Iam curious as to the performance of their 3/4 model.
Originally Posted by Pat85

Hear good things about the Milwaukee. Iam curious as to the performance of their 3/4 model.

+1 on the 1/2" fuel impact. 700ft/lbs torque and 1100 ft/lbs breakout.
Originally Posted by 700LH

Brand? Model?

That's a possibility. 12v direct from vehicle battery or off the trailer plug. I have a trailer I'd want it for and it has an easily accessed battery.

This was several years ago, I don't recall the brand just that it plugged into the cigarette lighter and how well it worked.
I have a Menards special Masterforce 1/2" 20 volt.

It does great for most things,but wouldn't break free my bro's 3/4 ton lugs
I am fortunate that my brother in law is an engineer for Dewalt/Black and Decker. They have a sale twice a year at their headquarters with significant discounts for friends and family. I grabbed this....

http://www.dewalt.com/products/powe...t-wrench-w-detent-pin-anvil-bare/dcf899b

I can take lugs off like I'm part of the pit crew for a NASCAR team. It's also strong enough to break off stubborn bolts that would have required a breaker bar. With that also would recommend a torque stick for the foot lbs recommended for your vehicle's lugs. Easy mode.
Originally Posted by BigDave39355

+1 on the 1/2" fuel impact. 700ft/lbs torque and 1100 ft/lbs breakout.

That should loosen hub piloted truck rims. I only tighten them to 450 foot pounds.
We have both Snap-on 3/8" and 1/2" 20 volt guns and we use the 1/2" to remove tractor and combine tires. When we first started using them I checked the torque on them. Now I don't worry about it, same as when I get a new air gun.

It should be close to the same torque as the 1/2" fuel.
Ive have taken the dual wheels off of a 250 HP tractor at the shop with my 1/2 m18
The snap on 18volt 1/2" wouldnt budge them
Got it on the jack now. Thanks.
Posted By: CCCC Re: Cordless Drill For Wheel Lugs - 06/25/17
Recent encounter - saw a roadside service guy use a self-contained batt powered impact. Asked him about torque - don't remember the number, but it was BIG. Said he did this stuff all day/week and couldn't afford to fool around. Easily does lugs on semi trucks. Asked him about cost - well over $500.
I have a Dewalt 1/2 20 volt in my service truck. I have removed semi lugs with it no problem, the thing is a beast. If I remember correctly it was around 400 bucks. It makes air impacts almost obsolete..
This is the unit I have:
https://www.craftsman.com/products/...uty-impact-wrench-kit-powered-by-4ah-xcp

It was about $50-$60 after I signed up for a credit card and had a store credit. If I used it daily for heavy duty work, I'd spend the coin on a top line unit. For my purposes, this thing rocks.
Not dropping $500 on an occasional-use tool. Also some concern about battery having enough charge when occasionally putting it to work.

It sounds like a well-built brand, 1/2", 18 v.+, will work. Plus extra battery.

I looked for 12v corded units and none were rated at very high torque. It wouldn't run out of power, but it may not do what is expected.
I got a corded one, Kobalt. Figured it might help with next lift kit install (no air tools).
Nope.
Thing is only good for lug nuts at best.
Big heavy and like new..............gathering dust on a shelf.

Eh, my back so screwed up.............proly done Jeepin anyway.
Originally Posted by hookeye
I got a corded one, Kobalt. Figured it might help with next lift kit install (no air tools).
Nope.
Thing is only good for lug nuts at best.
Big heavy and like new..............gathering dust on a shelf.

Eh, my back so screwed up.............proly done Jeepin anyway.

Voltage?
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200619498_200619498

ironbender watch northern tool, they run sales on this kit. I bought mine for $345 a couple months ago with free shipping
You might want a car charger for whatever battery size you get. Makes you even more mobile and offers a backup for your A.C. charger. Well worth the added cost, and I'd know, being a service tech, and working with drills and impacts on most jobs. I have one car charger for each brand and size of tool the boss has bought so far, as well as my own 18vt dewalt set.
For a workhorse.....Ingersol Rand 20 volt.

They use them day in and day out on the main test well for pumps. Hundreds of 3/4-1 1/2" bolts.

Maybe one or 2 battery changes a day. They seldom use the air guns except for big bolts.
It all depends on the vehicle and how much torque the specs call for. My pickup lug nuts are torqued to 125 ft lb. I have a 120v impact wrench that won't touch them. To break them loose, I used a long breaker bar and jump on it. You need to look at the specs and find out if the nuts are properly torqued. Then find a power wrench that will do it.
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
It all depends on the vehicle and how much torque the specs call for. My pickup lug nuts are torqued to 125 ft lb. I have a 120v impact wrench that won't touch them. To break them loose, I used a long breaker bar and jump on it. You need to look at the specs and find out if the nuts are properly torqued. Then find a power wrench that will do it.

Lug nuts on my work van are torqued to 140ft. Lbs. And It isn't hard to break loose or reassemble. If it were not for a manual torque wrench, I would still be over tightening them. Air and electric versions are both more than enough, from what I've seen.

Lug nuts on my work van are torqued to 140ft. Lbs. And It isn't hard to break loose or reassemble. If it were not for a manual torque wrench, I would still be over tightening them. Air and electric versions are both more than enough, from what I've seen.

You got that right. Air guns at tire stores are responsible for most warped discs.......

If your tire store doesn't torque.......go elsewhere
Bought this one a year or two ago and have been happy with it.

It'll break loose lug nuts on the F350's.

https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DCF880HM2-20-volt-Lithium-2-Inch/dp/B00BWFIKJA
Watching the 3/4" breaker bar bend, pulling with a cheater pipe is interesting. Vannata's website says, two loggers can break a 3/4" breaker with a pipe. I believe it.
Milwaukee M18 fuel is a beast.

It is..
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Watching the 3/4" breaker bar bend, pulling with a cheater pipe is interesting. Vannata's website says, two loggers can break a 3/4" breaker with a pipe. I believe it.

You don't need two loggers with a long enough pipe. grin
Pat, being the old guy, I get to hold the socket from slipping, while our son pulls on the cheater pipe. I'm in the line of fire. Tractor duels is the task.
I've got the 18v Milwaukee, it was around $400. It's pretty heavy duty, and we use it all the time on the farm.

Figure it's better to spend a bit more and get the power, than spend less and only be able to do half the work.
OP, I know exactly what you're after. I have a dual axle trailer, and had to change a flat last year on the Sterling. When the tire is flat, it's a PITA to get the lug nuts off since the tire just wants to spin. (I also change over my studs myself, and it gets old using a 4-way)

I went to Home Depot, got a cheap Ryobi cordless impact- 1/2 inch drive., and never looked back. Use the big battery. Did 3 vehicles changing tires on a saturday morning on one charge no problem. During tightening, I still chase it with a 4-way to ensure torque, but it's awesome and I won't go back.

FWIW, the cordless weed eaters are $129 and come with the big battery. The batteries are $119. So buy a new battery and for $10 extra get a weedeater.
Originally Posted by woodson
I am fortunate that my brother in law is an engineer for Dewalt/Black and Decker. They have a sale twice a year at their headquarters with significant discounts for friends and family. I grabbed this....

http://www.dewalt.com/products/powe...t-wrench-w-detent-pin-anvil-bare/dcf899b

I can take lugs off like I'm part of the pit crew for a NASCAR team. It's also strong enough to break off stubborn bolts that would have required a breaker bar. With that also would recommend a torque stick for the foot lbs recommended for your vehicle's lugs. Easy mode.

I've owned the 18V version of that DeWalt High-Torque for ~8yrs. It rides in my truck and as stated, will run lug nuts off right quick. Only thing I'd change is that mine is 18V NiCad (or whatever) and now I'd buy 20V LI. The LI batteries hold a charge a LOT longer while idle.
I keep 18v Dewalt 1/2" drive small and large cordless impacts in one shop, in my truck Makita 18V LXT 1/2" large and small impacts and a 3/8" impact (all made in Japan brushless models), the other shop is all pneumatic. The big 1/2" tools have more torque, but are only used when the standard sized 1/2" impact won't do the job.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

If these and a breaker bar doesn't work and I don't have air, then I use this.

[Linked Image]

Good point. My truck is 165 lb-ft.
Appreciate all the responses.

Hog ring or detent pin anvil?
Originally Posted by LoadClear
OP, I know exactly what you're after. I have a dual axle trailer, and had to change a flat last year on the Sterling. When the tire is flat, it's a PITA to get the lug nuts off since the tire just wants to spin. (I also change over my studs myself, and it gets old using a 4-way)

I went to Home Depot, got a cheap Ryobi cordless impact- 1/2 inch drive., and never looked back. Use the big battery. Did 3 vehicles changing tires on a saturday morning on one charge no problem. During tightening, I still chase it with a 4-way to ensure torque, but it's awesome and I won't go back.

FWIW, the cordless weed eaters are $129 and come with the big battery. The batteries are $119. So buy a new battery and for $10 extra get a weedeater.

Flat tire, you say? smile

[Linked Image]
DETENT PIN ANVIL

The hogrings always fail and need replaced. I had B&D's Dewalt cordless impact design engineers on a project looking for feedback. They couldn't understand why anyone would prefer a detent pin. After letting them actually use both types, they figured it out.
© 24hourcampfire