Home
Posted By: persiandog how to take a pill - 10/25/17
my short term memory is like Swiss cheese , some times I don't remember if I have taken my pills or not , so I came up with a plan and it works.

1- open a computer text file and enter/append : begin 10/25/2017 7:00 AM
2- get the pills ready
3- take the pills
4- append into text file : end 10/25/2017 7:00 AM
5- save the file
6- go to kitchen, open and close the frig door.

what is your technique ?
Posted By: magshooter1 Re: how to take a pill - 10/25/17
Walgreens app with pill reminder on my phone.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: how to take a pill - 10/25/17
Do those plastic 7 day pill containers work? Seems like a good visual reminder would be best. What happens when you forget to check your phone or forget how?Or forget to take your pants off before you go pee? Or worse???!!!! smile
Posted By: persiandog Re: how to take a pill - 10/25/17
as a side note , if you take care of an elderly person , move his/her bed and you will find tons of pills on the floor , apparently they miss the target often :-)
Posted By: hanco Re: how to take a pill - 10/25/17
It’s hell to get old!!!
I've been popping lots of otc pain killers lately but it's easy to know when to take those! Found out yesterday, abscessed tooth.
Posted By: alwaysoutdoors Re: how to take a pill - 10/25/17
The problems with (small problem) the 7 day pill containers is some people have morning and evening pills. So that means two containers which can get confusing. Also, you have to have someone competent to fill the pill containers correctly in the first place.

Edit: if you just have two or three pills then this doesn’t apply. My grandad has a handful so I saw some of this firsthand.
Posted By: magshooter1 Re: how to take a pill - 10/25/17
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Do those plastic 7 day pill containers work? Seems like a good visual reminder would be best. What happens when you forget to check your phone or forget how?Or forget to take your pants off before you go pee? Or worse???!!!! smile

They help. I should have included that I use on of those along with the phone app. The app sends alert reminders.
Our dog is on some pills for thyroid and congestive heart failure. Wife picked up some little ziploc pill bags with fill in the blank labels on them. Also have morning/evening, but as you say someone competent has to fill them to begin with.
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: how to take a pill - 10/25/17
Get one

[Linked Image]
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: how to take a pill - 10/25/17
Originally Posted by Fireball2
I've been popping lots of otc pain killers lately but it's easy to know when to take those! Found out yesterday, abscessed tooth.

Ohhhhhhh that 'splains things! LOL
ask your wife to remind you , they never forget anything.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: how to take a pill - 10/25/17
Originally Posted by persiandog
ask your wife to remind you , they never forget anything.

You done figured it out PD, Foolproof!
Posted By: GunReader Re: how to take a pill - 10/25/17
I take one pill, twice a day. Bottle sits next to me easy chair. Take a pill in the morning, turn the bottle upside down. , Take one in the evening, turn the bottle right side up again.

Then there is the senior variation: Sit in my chair in the early evening and see the pill bottle sitting right side up. But I think I remember taking my morning pill. Or did I? Did I forget to take the pill or did I forget to set the bottle upside down after I took the pill? So much for being systematic!
Posted By: jnyork Re: how to take a pill - 10/25/17
Originally Posted by hanco
It’s hell to get old!!!

Beats the alternative. Most of the time.

Sure as hell aint for sissies, though..

I had a terrible fright a few days ago. I woke up in the morning and nothing hurt, thought for a minute I has passed away during the night. whistle
Originally Posted by GunReader
Did I forget to take the pill or did I forget to set the bottle upside down after I took the pill? So much for being systematic!

take a picture of yourself with time stamp just in case if you can't remember
Posted By: magshooter1 Re: how to take a pill - 10/26/17

Originally Posted by jnyork
Originally Posted by hanco
It’s hell to get old!!!

Beats the alternative. Most of the time.

Sure as hell aint for sissies, though..

I had a terrible fright a few days ago. I woke up in the morning and nothing hurt, thought for a minute I has passed away during the night. whistle

Not for sissies. LOL. That’s one of Dad’s (95) favorite sayings.
Posted By: k20350 Re: how to take a pill - 10/26/17
I hate it when I forget, I take a beta blocker/BP pill and if I forget to take it I feel like crap from the afternoon on
Posted By: OutlawPatriot Re: how to take a pill - 10/26/17
Posted By: gunswizard Re: how to take a pill - 10/26/17
My morning and evening pills are in the multi-compartment containers, bedtime pill is in the bedroom the bottle gets turned upside down after taking at bedtime and turned right side up in the morning. I have a pocket container for pills when away from home and just in case I forget that I have pills in the glove box of my car, the wife also carries some of my meds in her purse. I only forget once in a while and get caught without my meds, fortunately missing a dose is not a big deal.
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: how to take a pill - 10/26/17
There's no hope for me.
I take two Blood Pressure meds daily. One I take in the mornings but the second one is only taken in the evening after I take a reading and determine that I need it.
No problem remembering to take a reading but then half the time I walk away forgetting to take the dam pill. Fortunately I only need it about 30% of the time so my senility hasn't killed me......yet.
Posted By: dan_oz Re: how to take a pill - 10/26/17
Here in Oz you can have the pharmacy make up your pills in a "Webster Pack", which has each pill or combination of pills for morning, midday, evening etc in individual "blisters". All you need to do is look at the day and time and you can see what to take, and whether you've taken it.

[Linked Image]

My wife used to work in pharmacy, and make these up. They're especially popular for older folks.
Posted By: tmitch Re: how to take a pill - 10/26/17
When I cared for my elderly parents I used those 4x7 boxes like dan oz "Webster packs". I would fill them every Sunday and it was easy to keep track whether they took their dose. I use a single dose 7 day box for my meds.
Originally Posted by persiandog
my short term memory is like Swiss cheese , some times I don't remember if I have taken my pills or not , so I came up with a plan and it works.

1- open a computer text file and enter/append : begin 10/25/2017 7:00 AM
2- get the pills ready
3- take the pills
4- append into text file : end 10/25/2017 7:00 AM
5- save the file
6- go to kitchen, open and close the frig door.

what is your technique ?

Different shelf for AM and PM. Once I take my pills the bottles go on the PM shelf, informing me that the next dose is PM.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: how to take a pill - 10/26/17
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
The problems with (small problem) the 7 day pill containers is some people have morning and evening pills. So that means two containers which can get confusing. Also, you have to have someone competent to fill the pill containers correctly in the first place.

Edit: if you just have two or three pills then this doesn’t apply. My grandad has a handful so I saw some of this firsthand.
7 day AM/PM containers are easy to find. They're color coded to avoid confusion. This one is from Walmart.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Wtxj Re: how to take a pill - 10/26/17
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors

7 day AM/PM containers are easy to find. They're color coded to avoid confusion. This one is from Walmart.
[Linked Image]

This is the type I use.

Thanks guys for reminding me guys, I need to go take morning pills. Can't believe I forgot.
Posted By: Wtxj Re: how to take a pill - 10/26/17
Well I already took em.
Posted By: greydog Re: how to take a pill - 10/26/17
Simple enough; if I reach the point I have to take a pill to stay alive, I'm gonna die. The odds against me remembering to take said pill are astronomical. GD
Posted By: Jess Re: how to take a pill - 10/26/17
Originally Posted by FatCity67
Get one

[Linked Image]

That will work just fine for me. :-)
Posted By: BLG Re: how to take a pill - 10/26/17
Originally Posted by FatCity67
Get one

[Linked Image]

But are you going to remember to take the blue pill after you get one?

Clyde
Posted By: Sharpsman Re: how to take a pill - 10/26/17
Lots of older guys 'dry ball'!
© 24hourcampfire