Home
Posted By: wabigoon Breeds of Dogs? - 12/28/17
What breeds do you like, and why?
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Breeds of Dogs? - 12/28/17
Mutts, cuzz they are mutts and 'inexpensive'
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: Breeds of Dogs? - 12/28/17
I like any dog with some hunt in em but my favorites are GSP's and Curs.
Posted By: Orion2000 Re: Breeds of Dogs? - 12/28/17
Rottweilers and Goldens. Large dogs. Outdoor dogs. Can play and rough house with them without hurting them or hurting their feelers. Loyal and loving to the family. Big enough to keep an honest man honest. Lived in rural areas for the past 29 years. Have not had an issue with thievery with large dogs in the yard.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Breeds of Dogs? - 12/28/17
For starters...............I like small terriers, pointers that aren't psycho, labs that act right, shepherds that don't look like they have had their hips crushed or blow their coat out every other day, most boxers, near all heelers and cattle dogs, some of the larger livestock dogs like Pyrenees as long as I have a huge yard and don't have to shovel their turds.

Plus a bunch more.

Ain't got much use for overly aggressive anything. Especially dog aggressive bitches.
Posted By: Oklahomahunter Re: Breeds of Dogs? - 12/28/17
We’ve got a papered yellow lab and Boston terrier, and a mutt. They’ve all got their quirks by they’re “family”.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Breeds of Dogs? - 12/28/17
Pits and Golden Retrievers, because of their gentle personalities and their unquestionable loyalty.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Breeds of Dogs? - 12/28/17
Terrier's are great
Posted By: JDK Re: Breeds of Dogs? - 12/28/17
Retrievers, Goldens and Labs the best.
Posted By: sactoller Re: Breeds of Dogs? - 12/28/17
Hmmm, I'm thinking a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever.

Boykin
GWP
Brittany
Chessie

and just about any other pups, that I come in contact with...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: luv2safari Re: Breeds of Dogs? - 12/28/17
Llewellin setters, because they are your BEST (!) friends that also hunt.

Wirehaired Pointing Griffons, because I grew up with them...67 year history...and they hunt.
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: Breeds of Dogs? - 12/28/17
Originally Posted by wabigoon

Dobermans, German Shepherds, Old Style Bulldogs, Pitbulls. All of them deter crime pretty well. The most trainable are the Dobermans and German Shepherds.
Posted By: blanket Re: Breeds of Dogs? - 12/28/17
mountain curs
Posted By: fishdog52 Re: Breeds of Dogs? - 12/28/17
Hungarian Vizslas, Brittanies, Weimaraners. Never owned one but liked the Jack Russels, Springers and Beagles I have known.
Posted By: pete53 Re: Breeds of Dogs? - 12/28/17
pure blood labs with papers, coyote-coon dogs
Posted By: Stormin_Norman Re: Breeds of Dogs? - 12/28/17
Stock dogs, smart and energetic. Don't need a guard dog smile
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Breeds of Dogs? - 12/28/17
Standard Schnauzers. smile

[Linked Image]

Buster, on the left is about 15 now. Best hunting partner I ever had.

Bandit, on the right is becoming a great hunting dog now. At a year and half old, he's just now growing a brain and starting to listen, obey and catch on. He loves to hunt. You can't get out the door with a gun if they see you... laugh

[Linked Image]
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Breeds of Dogs? - 12/28/17
Mutts! But i generally like em all!!!

I like dawgs!
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Breeds of Dogs? - 12/28/17
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

[Linked Image]

Bandit, on the right is becoming a great hunting dog now. At a year and half old, he's just now growing a brain and starting to listen, obey and catch on. He loves to hunt. You can't get out the door with a gun if they see you... laugh

[Linked Image]

Those Damn Schnauzers are absolutely fearless.
Originally Posted by 12344mag

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Yeah, they have a good rep as guardian dogs for their size.
Posted By: northern_dave Re: Breeds of Dogs? - 12/28/17
My current fav is my female bloodhound named Allis Chalmers.

She just cracks me up.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Breeds of Dogs? - 12/28/17
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Yeah, they have a good rep as guardian dogs for their size.

Buster is about 60 pounds, but Bandit is closer to 70 pounds. Both excellent watch/guard dogs. I'd hate to have one after me...

That young one gets the UPS guy's attention here lately. laugh
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Breeds of Dogs? - 12/28/17
GSPs and English pointers because the find, point and retrieve dinner. Cocker spaniels retrieve and chase blue quail around big bushes and distract them so you can run up and get a shot. Schnauzers and fox terrirers tree squirrels and retrieve.

Im gradually coming to the idea E Pointers may have slightly better noses than GSPs.

The English pointers i raised and trained as a kid in jr high and high school made wonderful pets which strived to please. I dont know if those traits have been bred out or not, since then. GSPs make great loving pets as do most spaniels, schnauzers and fiests.
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Breeds of Dogs? - 12/28/17
Oh my poor little Dixie. smile. Fell asleep in her food bowl. She is the smallest full blood Boxer Ive ever seen.

[Linked Image]

She is "special". Someone found her in a dumpster when she was a tiny pup back when the daughter was a vet tech in Wichita. Brought her into their clinic. Apparently she was the runt. And she has some brain damage. She's just a sweel tiny size Boxer. She cant see straight. Barks at trees and clouds. Won't use steps. And loves me dearly! She is a funny little
Dog.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Breeds of Dogs? - 12/28/17
Cattle dogs mostly.

First dog I had was a border collie/Australian shepherd.

The two knotheads I have now are English shepherds.
Posted By: OdT Re: Breeds of Dogs? - 12/28/17
We have two Boston Terriers. Fantastic small dogs.

Previously had a Golden Retriever, and later two Akitas. Also good breeds, but not conducive to keeping a house clean when living on a river bank. The Boston’s aren’t interested in it
Posted By: kingston Re: Breeds of Dogs? - 12/28/17
Barks at trees and clouds.

Smiling here!
Posted By: add Re: Breeds of Dogs? - 12/28/17
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
She cant see straight. Barks at trees and clouds. Won't use steps.

Had an elderly aunt like that we used to visit - but she wasn't housebroke.
Posted By: johnw Re: Breeds of Dogs? - 12/28/17
There aint' no dogs that I don't like. My best dogs have been Setters, Springers, Labs, and a Chessie.

But i've had and loved shaggy farm dogs, [bleep]-zus, cockers, terriers, pyrenees
Oh my poor little Dixie. smile. Fell asleep in her food bowl. She is the smallest full blood Boxer Ive ever seen.

[Linked Image]

She is "special". Someone found her in a dumpster when she was a tiny pup back when the daughter was a vet tech in Wichita. Brought her into their clinic. Apparently she was the runt. And she has some brain damage. She's just a sweel tiny size Boxer. She cant see straight. Barks at trees and clouds. Won't use steps. And loves me dearly! She is a funny little
Dog.

Great story. Glad she has a good home.
Posted By: RDW Re: Breeds of Dogs? - 12/28/17
Rott's, Lab's and German Shepherds, dogs I have owned.

JRT's and English Bulldogs that I would not mind having in the house.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Breeds of Dogs? - 12/29/17

[Linked Image]

Dog.

Those are my favorite dogs.
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: Breeds of Dogs? - 12/29/17

[Linked Image]

Dog.

I've always liked Boxers, too. Came close to getting one from time to time.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Breeds of Dogs? - 12/29/17

[Linked Image]

Dog.

Looks well spoiled!

Good job!
Posted By: sawbuck Re: Breeds of Dogs? - 12/29/17
It wouldn't seem fair to all the other great dogs I've had to pick a favorite.
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Breeds of Dogs? - 12/29/17
KW, i hope that dog doesnt get into your hooch and then fall asleep over a bowl of water. wink

A childhood friends boxer was the smartest dog i had ever seen and instilled the desire to train dogs in me. I read books and started doing that with english pointers several years later.
Posted By: dale06 Re: Breeds of Dogs? - 12/29/17
Had a few mutts when I was a kid. Have had none since and really don’t want any.
Posted By: 257James Re: Breeds of Dogs? - 12/29/17
I’m a huge Airedale fan!! The three that I’ve had were great dogs, and not afraid of much. My first, a female, was smarter than a few folks that I know....LOL
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

[Linked Image]

Dog.

I've always liked Boxers, too. Came close to getting one from time to time.

I'm not talking Boxers, I like retarded dogs,,,,their great fun to have around and root for.
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Breeds of Dogs? - 12/29/17
Border collies and heelers and Australian Shephards are usually great pets and smart as a whip. Lots more great dogs out there than great people it sure seems.

Posted By: MadMooner Re: Breeds of Dogs? - 12/29/17
Never had much use for a husky/malamute type dog.

Then, I doubt they ever had much use for me either smile
Posted By: mark shubert Re: Breeds of Dogs? - 12/29/17
Border collies. We don't currently have one - because our last was stolen about 6 weeks after we had to put the previous one down.
"The Warden" said - not another one soon. It's past time, again.
Posted By: Godogs57 Re: Breeds of Dogs? - 12/29/17
Only one in my little world. I love my labs! They love me, my family, and all strangers. Love to hunt as much as I do. Loaded with desire and common sense. And most importantly, they act like it’s Christmas morning for them every time they see me.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: NYH1 Re: Breeds of Dogs? - 12/29/17
Lab's and German Shepherds.

Lab's because they're fun loving, loyal, smart, playful, joyful, happy and just great dogs to be around.

German Shepherd's because they're LOYAL, SMART, PROTECTIVE without being aggressive, curious, aloof, don't like stranger easily, trainable, playful and just great dogs to be around.

We have a Chocolate Lab and two GSD's. We'll always have at least one of each.

Nothing wrong with getting a good mutt either. Most breeds can be good, especially when they're mixed. Takes overbreeding out of the lines.

NYH1.
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Breeds of Dogs? - 12/29/17

Jaxon.......GT mix........been a wonderful buddy........

was 12 in August.........he's like a Rock.....literally....... grin

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: JSH Re: Breeds of Dogs? - 12/29/17
I've owned a GSP, Brittany and Labs. I liked them all but my current GSP has been such a great friend it would be hard to pick a different breed. The truth is the breed is not nearly as important as the personality and training though.
Posted By: McInnis Re: Breeds of Dogs? - 12/29/17
The greatest dog I ever had the pleasure of owning was a Boxer. Personality on steroids. But sadly, like many of the larger breeds they are prone to health problems, especially cancer. It will probably be mongrels for me from now on. I have an old guy that's 15 now. I think he's part Chow because of the black spot on his tongue, but no guess after that. And aside from vaccinations, never spent a dollar on vet bills for him.
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: Breeds of Dogs? - 12/29/17
Originally Posted by blanket
mountain curs

Yea buddy.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Breeds of Dogs? - 12/29/17
Not sure what breed Gabby Sue is, but she's a great drinking partner, though slow to give up her seat at the bar.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Breeds of Dogs? - 12/29/17
[Linked Image]
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Breeds of Dogs? - 12/29/17

LMFAO................^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Posted By: cra1948 Re: Breeds of Dogs? - 12/29/17
I like my Chessie. He's a good, solid dog, got a lot of hunt in him....smart dog and well put together. They're not for everyone....that dog will challenge me in some way, large or small, every time I take him out of his kennel. You have to be alert for it and shut it right down, or first thing you know he wouldn't be worth a schitt. He might be the best dog I ever had. I've had a couple others that were good too. One was a little redtick English bitch. She was one great coonhound right from the word go....fast, didn't mess with cold trails, and a rock solid tree dog. I had a gundog bred beagle that was a great one. He was one of two beagles I've had that you had to catch and carry out when you wanted to go home...no quit in that dog. I've had a lot of hounds, one real special one was my running Walker bitch, Cry Baby. She had a great mouth on her and would move a fox fast. Old Dusty was a cocker spaniel, my mother's dog before I was born. She became my dog (or I guess I became her boy) after I was born. Gramps had taught her all kinds of parlor tricks. Only once did Mom try to wallop my bottom when Dusty was around. Mom ended up with bandages on her ankle and nobody messed with me after that when Dusty was around.

When I set out for that rainbow bridge, I guess I better have a pretty big bag of dog food over my shoulder.
I have no idea how God packed so much love and so much energy into this 45 pound mutt. She'd die on the wall with me.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Not sure what breed Gabby Sue is, but she's a great drinking partner, though slow to give up her seat at the bar.

[Linked Image]

It's quite obvious she's a purebred beer hound. wink

NYH1.
Posted By: poboy Re: Breeds of Dogs? - 12/29/17
All dogs like me.
Originally Posted by FieldGrade

[Linked Image]

Not sure how smart they are......They don't even see that cat takin' a nap on your tailgate.......
Posted By: 458 Lott Re: Breeds of Dogs? - 12/29/17
I've had quite a few dogs growing up and with our family. Hands down, without a doubt the best and most beloved dog was a chessie.

[Linked Image]

For the life of my I can't imagine why someone gave him up at the pound, but he was a welcome addition to the family and sadly missed. While we usually get pound rescues, I can see getting a chessie from a breeder when we find ourselves without a canine companion.
Posted By: hungryhollow Re: Breeds of Dogs? - 12/29/17
I've had two border collies that I adored but the smartest dog I had was a beagle. My wife took him to obedience class and he won first prize.
Posted By: HilhamHawk Re: Breeds of Dogs? - 12/29/17
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: B_n_C_Buck Re: Breeds of Dogs? - 12/29/17
For a small inside dog, extremely family friendly you can not beat a Boston Terrier.

Outside dog ...anything that hunts is fine. Pointer, Lab, German Short hair, etc.
Posted By: B_n_C_Buck Re: Breeds of Dogs? - 12/29/17
For a small inside dog, extremely family friendly you can not beat a Boston Terrier.

Outside dog ...anything that hunts is fine. Pointer, Lab, German Short hair, etc.
Posted By: AJ300MAG Re: Breeds of Dogs? - 12/29/17
I'm on my second GSP. 1/2 the size of a Lab without the dangerous tail. An endless bundle of energy...

Eight months old.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: blanket Re: Breeds of Dogs? - 12/29/17
mountain curs

Yea buddy.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

great looking dogs you have there. Have a 4 year old bitch backing up to me right now to get her butt scratched. Tight coat, even nature, can smell a fart from 3 miles and see one from 2. Maggie is an Original Mt Cur. Born with the double dew claw "defect". She was rolled by a coyote one evening in January out by the cows when she was 9 months old and has never forgot it, grin!
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Breeds of Dogs? - 12/29/17
Originally Posted by huntsman22
[Linked Image]

Hard to beat a Healer! Smartest dog I ever had was half healer / half coyote.

For hunting I like labs! Smart & great personalitys, too.
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
[Linked Image]

Nothing like a good book learnt dog to help the kiddo do his homework....frees up time for you! wink

NYH1.
Originally Posted by HilhamHawk
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Our Lab and one of our GSD's loves the tub.

Our big GSD, hates the tub, sounds like you're trying to behead him if you try putting him in the tub. Glad he likes us. He'll go outside and lay in the dirtiest, coldest, muddiest, slushiest water he can find. Try putting him in a lukewarm, sterile bathtub nope....unless you put a baby in it, then he'll get in all by himself. For some reason he feels he has to protect every baby that walks the earth.

NYH1.
Posted By: EdM Re: Breeds of Dogs? - 12/29/17
For no apparent reason it has been two American Cocker's and a pit bull/German Shepherd SPCA dog. All were/is good. Current Cocker is aging quickly at 15.
Posted By: River_Ridge Re: Breeds of Dogs? - 12/29/17
I like mutts, preferably with some retriever in them. We found our dog Daisy in the woods about 10 years ago. She was all skin & bones and her face, chest etc. were full of porcupine quills. We got her cleaned up fed her and pulled out 50 or 60 quills and found the owner. We weren't impressed with him when he came to pick her up and I told my wife if I ever see that dog running loose again there won't be any phone calls. 2 months later she was back at our camp and we brought her home. She has been my constant shadow ever since and the best dog/friend ever.
Posted By: ribka Re: Breeds of Dogs? - 12/29/17
Have owned and trained labs, gsp's, brits, vizslas and now have a griff

great dog and very intelligent

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: Breeds of Dogs? - 12/29/17
I love all good dogs, but labs are what I want. Shadow has been with me for 3 1/2 years and not a day goes by that she doesn't fill my heart with joy. Eager to please, tractable, focused, comical and incredibly smart. She understands more of the human language than any other dog I have had. She's just an OK hunter. Like me i guess.

[img]https://scontent-dft4-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...654176e89e259ca67a6d8ddd&oe=5AFC040E[/img]

[img]https://scontent-dft4-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...e14d00cd56e7f47c1c5de0e2&oe=5AFBF850[/img]

[img]https://scontent-dft4-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...13920ad9dcc4d464d4f458eb&oe=5AF7F9FE[/img]

[img]https://scontent-dft4-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...64a70ff1cea3ba6091bced67&oe=5ABD8376[/img]
Posted By: prm Re: Breeds of Dogs? - 12/29/17
JRT

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Dutch Re: Breeds of Dogs? - 12/29/17
I love my Drents, but there will be another Great Dane in my future, at some time. Just something about their lackadaisical, happy go lucky attitude that makes me smile. Not very smart, though, they all seem to think they are lap dogs.....
Posted By: luv2safari Re: Breeds of Dogs? - 12/29/17
Originally Posted by prm
JRT

[Linked Image]

QUIT Abusing that dog!!!
mad

Sure has a big happy grin. laugh grin
Posted By: Kenlguy Re: Breeds of Dogs? - 12/29/17
I've developed a love and passion for the German type of bird dogs. Oly the Drathaar is going on nine years now and Aero the GWP is a little over six months.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: SBTCO Re: Breeds of Dogs? - 12/29/17
A fan of dogs in general but have an affinity to to eastern Nordic breeds. Living in the NW part of Montana( Flathead Valley) a little ways in the sticks puts us in close proximity to the five main predators( grizzly, black bear, wolves, mountain lions...and meth heads) so we have been running Karelian Bear dogs and a West Siberian Laika off and on for 27 years. Wonderful dogs for forest living, but have their quirks. I've always wanted a heeler though, so maybe some day.
Posted By: kingston Re: Breeds of Dogs? - 12/29/17
What a character.

[img]https://scontent-dft4-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...64a70ff1cea3ba6091bced67&oe=5ABD8376[/img]
Posted By: DaddyRat Re: Breeds of Dogs? - 12/29/17
Brittanies and German Shepherds here. We have 2 of each right now.
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Breeds of Dogs? - 12/29/17
Originally Posted by SBTCO
I've always wanted a heeler though, so maybe some day.

My dad and his little red devil.
(he is a terrorist)

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: woodmaster81 Re: Breeds of Dogs? - 12/29/17
My favorites are working dogs when they are able to do what they were bred for. I have hunting dogs, pointing ones to be exact but have nothing against flushers or retrievers as I have owned them in the past. The only hunting breed I don't like are Afgahn hounds. Every one I have run into has been ornery and mean. The last one ended up wearing a hammer I threw at it.

I like herding dogs, there is a farm nearby which holds herding competitions every year and I attend them when I can. If I had the need and time I would be involved in this field.

Growing up, a neighbor had a Malamute that always hung out with us. I finally got tired pulling the sled loaded with my ice fishing equipment to the lake and hitched the dog to it. That was much easier on me and the dog loved it. After that, that dog went home only because we didn't let it in the house. That dog lived to pull and I found reasons to keep it happy all year round. Being in MN, finding a sled team is not all that difficult. I know a few guys who do so and have gone sledding with them. There is enough gadgets to own that I could be happy doing that.

Lastly, I like terriers who act like terriers. My first dog was a Wirehaired terrier and we loved to terrorize rats and mice on my grandpa's farm. Poking around in the junk in the outbuildings would often lead to some vermin running out then the dog got to do its job. When we burned down the old corn crib, so many rats and mice ran out that the dog got so tired it could no longer chase down the rodents. I thought she was going to die, she was so worn out. Jack Russels are pretty popular with those I know with hawks, I really like their energy. I'm surprised the Hawks don't try to make a meal of the Jack, they aren't all that big.
Posted By: Tarkio Re: Breeds of Dogs? - 12/29/17
A fan of dogs in general but have an affinity to to eastern Nordic breeds. Living in the NW part of Montana( Flathead Valley) a little ways in the sticks puts us in close proximity to the five main predators( grizzly, black bear, wolves, mountain lions...and meth heads) so we have been running Karelian Bear dogs and a West Siberian Laika off and on for 27 years. Wonderful dogs for forest living, but have their quirks. I've always wanted a heeler though, so maybe some day.

Do you raise/breed Karelians? Friends/clients of mine have had Karelians for years. Live right on the front range and thick with bears and wolves. I believe they are looking for someone who breeds Karelians now.
Posted By: moose444 Re: Breeds of Dogs? - 12/29/17
GWP's for about thirty years. Too many back and neck surgery so we wanted something smaller. Decided on a standard Schnauzer. Got him from Hamilton Montana almost eight months ago. Smart, stubborn but does want to please more and more. Thirty seven pounds now, wish he'd stay this size. Showed interest in chukars and Huns. He's going to have to learn about both kinds of bears, lions, wolves and coyotes. Damn snakes too unless we move to the flathead valley. Pretty cool dog, loves to ride in the pickup on the console it the gas tank on the four wheeler.
Posted By: Cariboo Re: Breeds of Dogs? - 12/29/17
Our current bird dog, a Field bred English Springer Spaniel. Miss Maggie Mae here is the most intense hunting machine I have been owned by.

[Linked Image]

The big guy - 120 pounds - takes care of keeping riff-raff out of the yard. Zeus is 3/4 Rottweiler and 1/4 German Shepard.

[Linked Image]

Posted By: Springcove Re: Breeds of Dogs? - 12/29/17
Chesapeake’s, labs, Tollers. All hunting breeds. Hell I like most dogs just prefer the hunters.
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Breeds of Dogs? - 12/29/17
The couch hounds.

[Linked Image]
dogs rock, pick your poison. A man without a dog is not complete
Originally Posted by SamOlson
I've always wanted a heeler though, so maybe some day.

My dad and his little red devil.
(he is a terrorist)

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Oh no, not a terrorist, just being creative., it shows intelligence. grin
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: Breeds of Dogs? - 12/29/17
Originally Posted by kingston

She really is. She's my bud.

[Linked Image]

Not sure how smart they are......They don't even see that cat takin' a nap on your tailgate.......

A good hound or bird dog rely's on it's nose for finding game.

Unfortunately they both had bad colds at the time.

[Linked Image]

or like mine once the kill was made lost interest and looking
Originally Posted by Tarkio

Do you raise/breed Karelians? Friends/clients of mine have had Karelians for years. Live right on the front range and thick with bears and wolves. I believe they are looking for someone who breeds Karelians now.

No I don't, and unfortunately they are hard to come by not to mention the prices have gone stupid in many cases. There are a couple breeders in N.E. Washington (our latest KBD is a wayward rescue from one of those breeders) and there is Wind River Bear Dogs down in Missoula http://www.beardogs.org/ . The West Siberian Laika is a close cousin if the KBD and there are several breeders in the southeastern US as they have become popular with the squirrel hunters there. WSL's are every bit as gamey as KBD's (Russians/Europeans use them to hunt the same game, bear included) and could be a good stand in if they can't find a bear dog. The other option would be going directly to the source in Scandinavia and have a pup imported. Probably get a better quality line too.
Posted By: ChanceD Re: Breeds of Dogs? - 12/29/17
I’ve always had Labs, Love labs with all my heart, but damn they shed. After our last Lab, Amos passed away the wife wanted a Goldendoodle. This dog has been awesome! One of the smartest dogs I’ve ever had, smells good, and does not shed....no BS, no shedding. Downside is that the dog really can’t swim, I’ve worked with him multiple times and he still can’t swim....I think he’ll get it, but he’s so bottom heavy it’s funny. Trying to make him a Duck dog, the swimming thing is holding him back bad. Lol

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
I'm a sucker for dogs. And most dogs really like me. As the saying goes, "dogs and kids are good judges of character" and I reference that regularly.

Just recently we had 6 dogs. Have lost 2 to old age late this fall. Both of those were Boston terriers. Now we have a boston, a boxer, a mini Aussie and a Doberman.

Absolutely love my Doberman. Amazing family dog and extremely protective. Can't believe 2 different people abandoned him in the past. Quite possibly the best dog I've ever owned. Our boxer is also a great family dog. She is a lover of everyone. Bostons are great little dogs with huge personalities.

If I had the choice, my next dog will be a Doberman. My son is politicking to get a dobie pup sometime soon to get ready for the inevitable as my Doberman is approaching 10.
Posted By: 7 STW Re: Breeds of Dogs? - 12/29/17
I like all dogs. Had mutts and they have been awesome dogs. Have a black lab now and at five he is still a haywire sob. All my pups whether pure bread or mutts have been excellent companions.
Originally Posted by Tarkio

No I don't, and unfortunately they are hard to come by not to mention the prices have gone stupid in many cases. There are a couple breeders in N.E. Washington (our latest KBD is a wayward rescue from one of those breeders) and there is Wind River Bear Dogs down in Missoula http://www.beardogs.org/ . The West Siberian Laika is a close cousin if the KBD and there are several breeders in the southeastern US as they have become popular with the squirrel hunters there. WSL's are every bit as gamey as KBD's (Russians/Europeans use them to hunt the same game, bear included) and could be a good stand in if they can't find a bear dog. The other option would be going directly to the source in Scandinavia and have a pup imported. Probably get a better quality line too.

These folks have had a couple kb dogs over the last 10-12 years. They love them and really rely on them on the ranch. I will suggest the my look into the Laikas.
Posted By: Calvin Re: Breeds of Dogs? - 12/29/17
The lab we have is awesome. The dog puts up with a lot from my young daughters. That dog really toughened the girls up when he was a puppy.
Posted By: OdT Re: Breeds of Dogs? - 12/29/17
dogs rock, pick your poison. A man without a dog is not complete

Agreed

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

or like mine once the kill was made lost interest and looking

Exactly.....every good hunting dog I've owned has lost interest in the prey once it's in the truck.
Posted By: Stormin_Norman Re: Breeds of Dogs? - 12/29/17
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Breeds of Dogs? - 12/29/17
What a great thread! Thanks Wabi for startin' it up!!!
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Breeds of Dogs? - 12/29/17
Bernese Mountain Dogs, 'cause they reflect my personality in that they tend to be good-natured, polite, non-aggressive, and perhaps a bit lazy and laid back.
Posted By: BLR284 Re: Breeds of Dogs? - 12/29/17
Currently I have two Mountain Curs, good hunting dogs, great family/farm dogs. Curs and kids just naturally go together. They are good babysitters when the grandchildren are visiting.
Posted By: hillestadj Re: Breeds of Dogs? - 12/29/17
I'm partial to Boxers from real working lines. Our new girl is creeping up on 7 months and is likely the best Boxer I've ever owned.

Never met a Setter I didn't instantly love and have owned a pair of Irish setters I still think of daily. If I ever get to a place in life where I've got the time to hunt grouse hard again I'll have another.

Brittanys are nice.

Anything German really - Teutonic engineering is a beautiful thing.
Posted By: dogzapper Re: Breeds of Dogs? - 12/29/17

IMHO, Scottish terriers RULE, just because of they are COOL.

Our current Scotty, Sophie, is perhaps the finest Little Lassie who has ever shared her life with us.

God Bless,

Steve

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Hammerdown Re: Breeds of Dogs? - 12/29/17
Dogs are great. Who can't love a "good" dog. ( Pits don't rate.Just my 2 cents) Most dogs will love back as much as they are loved.
Posted By: Hammerdown Re: Breeds of Dogs? - 12/29/17
Originally Posted by dogzapper

IMHO, Scottish terriers RULE, just because of they are COOL.

Our current Scotty, Sophie, is perhaps the finest Little Lassie who has ever shared her life with us.

God Bless,

Steve

[Linked Image]

Nice dog Steve. Now my lovly wife, says she would like a dog like that.
Wishing you and yours a blessed New Year.
Posted By: Henryseale Re: Breeds of Dogs? - 12/29/17
Don't have any dogs now. Our last one, a basset, died 20 December 2014. That was the first time for many years since we have not had a dog. In my life I have had a few different breeds, but I have always favored hounds. I told my wife just a couple of days ago that we ought to get our grandson, soon to be four, a puppy. Truth is, it would be grandpaw's and his puppy. Thinking maybe a beagle, a black & tan, or maybe a redbone hound. Would love a bloodhound, but they are scarce and too expense for my limited income. I just love the mournful howl and hound personality. Kinda reminds me of the old Tom T. Hall song "Old Dogs, Little Children, and Watermelon Wine".
Posted By: fredIII Re: Breeds of Dogs? - 12/29/17
English cream retrievers. Momma dog has three e of these cute little guys on the tit

[Linked Image]

Local sales only gentlemen.
Posted By: MontanaMan Re: Breeds of Dogs? - 12/29/17
I like dogs in general, but I don't want little yappy ones around for long.

I will never own anything but a GSD..............incredible dogs in virtually all respects & way smarter than most people.

MM
Posted By: stevelyn Re: Breeds of Dogs? - 12/29/17
I've always been partial to the various flavors of working hounds. Probably has a lot to do with where I grew up.

They are lazy when they can be, work hard when they have to, fearless and tend to function on anger and apathy.
Sort of a reflection of my own personality.

Mountain Curs interest me, but I know little about them. I've never been around any that I'm aware of and what I do know is from a little research. It's my understanding that they are an old North American jack-of-all-trades breed pretty good at a little of everything.
Posted By: wilkeshunter Re: Breeds of Dogs? - 12/29/17
1. Boykin Spaniel- No dog gets closer to their owner than this breed IMHO.
2. Golden Retriever- The good ones just seem to love everyone.
3. Am Staff/Pit Bull- A lot of dog in a medium sized package. The two I have had have been great dogs.
4. Catahoula- Hard headed and independent, but I just love em. Again, a lot of dog for their size. They love the family.

Interested in:

English Cocker (hunting stock)
Brittany
Mountain Cur
German Shorthair
Doberman
Posted By: 7mmMato Re: Breeds of Dogs? - 12/29/17
Mini Aussie's This is Sambo almost 4 months old female I gave her my late friends nickname.
[Linked Image]

Wifes should not be allowed to get pictures taken of your dog.
[Linked Image]

Truck Dog She has taken over my armrest and my recliner.
First dog I have had in years. We are crazy about this lil turd.
Posted By: Jiggdog Re: Breeds of Dogs? - 12/29/17
NS Duck Tolling Retrievers don't get the credit they deserve ---beautiful,smart beyond belief , loyal. have had 2
currently have a very close runner up in a Border Collie
Posted By: pointer Re: Breeds of Dogs? - 12/29/17
I have a soft spot in my heart for beagles. Grew up with both grandpa and dad having multiples at all times. Never met a mean one. Only issue is the hair and how much is always falling out of them. wink My current living situation and the lack of rabbits around here preclude me from having one. Right now I'm kind of partial to "ugly" dogs; with mine being a pudelpointer. By far the best behaved all around dog I've ever had. Hank is part of our family.
[Linked Image]Untitled by Tyler Staggs, on Flickr
Posted By: NDsnowman Re: Breeds of Dogs? - 12/29/17
I like almost all breeds. However, German Shorthairs are the only breed I'll own.....so far.
My Basil

[Linked Image]
Posted By: saddlering Re: Breeds of Dogs? - 12/29/17
We lost our Dashund, back in Aug. and last month took in a 7-8 year old Boston terrier, shes a great little dog, has had several homes, shes home for good now!
Posted By: Redneck Re: Breeds of Dogs? - 12/29/17
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Boxers... Great family dogs, wonderful with children, great watchdogs/protectors, short hair so shedding's not too bad. I've had 'em since I was 5 yrs old..

Had two mutts in the middle there some time, and they were fine too. Problem with well-breeded Boxers (applies to most others also) is that they can become medical nightmares. But I still love 'em.

Lost these two about two years ago:

[Linked Image]
Great looking pups Redneck. Lost my big boy Chance back in 2009. Daughter has/ has had lots of Boxers!! Love em!!
Posted By: Northerner Re: Breeds of Dogs? - 12/29/17

Love my purebread Lab dearly, but have to agree with you, Scott. Some of the smartest dogs I have ever seen have been mutts.
Posted By: Northerner Re: Breeds of Dogs? - 12/29/17

[Linked Image]

Still one of my favorite pictures ever posted to the fire...makes me smile every time.
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: Breeds of Dogs? - 12/29/17
Originally Posted by Northerner

Love my purebread Lab dearly, but have to agree with you, Scott. Some of the smartest dogs I have ever seen have been mutts.

Have had three mutts in my life. No complaints at all.
Posted By: Winchestermodel70 Re: Breeds of Dogs? - 12/29/17
A well bred English Setter.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Breeds of Dogs? - 12/29/17
Great thread! I would be remiss without posting my boy Rommel...

[Linked Image]

But his predecessors, a Border Collie X Aussie, and a pure Border Collie...Ingwedog I and Ingwedog II set the bar so high for other dogs.....I will miss them tiill the day I die...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Raeford Re: Breeds of Dogs? - 12/29/17
Negro Labrador Retrievers first and foremost but one day I will get a JRT
Posted By: ingwe Re: Breeds of Dogs? - 12/29/17
My Basil

[Linked Image]

Bob..I like the looks of this dog!!!
Posted By: Jerseyboy Re: Breeds of Dogs? - 12/29/17
I have known and loved many dogs. At one point I boarded dogs in my home as a side money business. I got to know lots of breeds, including some I never would figure to like, but did. Dalmatians and Weaten Terriers are two of those. However, my favorite breeds are Golden Retrievers and Brittany Spaniels. My beloved Brittany, Tia, died a few years ago and I haven't replaced her. The wife didn't want another dog, but now says maybe I should get one. My favorite type of hunting is over a bird dog, and I love dogs, period. However, at age 71, and having survived three heart attacks, two failed stent procedures, and quadruple bypass surgery, I realize my mortality!
Posted By: JohnP Re: Breeds of Dogs? - 12/29/17
[Linked Image]

Enough said.
Posted By: AMRA Re: Breeds of Dogs? - 12/29/17
Healer!
Posted By: 257James Re: Breeds of Dogs? - 12/29/17

[Linked Image]

Still one of my favorite pictures ever posted to the fire...makes me smile every time.

Agreed!! Reminds me of the dogs playing poker smile
Posted By: lapua6547 Re: Breeds of Dogs? - 12/29/17
3 JRTs

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Poconojack Re: Breeds of Dogs? - 12/29/17
Beagles, Brittany’s and Mutts....
Posted By: sactoller Re: Breeds of Dogs? - 12/29/17
Originally Posted by Springcove
Chesapeake’s, labs, Tollers. All hunting breeds. Hell I like most dogs just prefer the hunters.

Old Lucy and Maggie were a pair to draw to!

I have never seen two dogs like them. Lucy sure did look out for Maggie!
Posted By: Mac84 Re: Breeds of Dogs? - 12/29/17
GSP, Great Danes and labs. My current pooch is a yellow lab named zac. I couldn’t ask for a sweeter dog
Originally Posted by 257Deland

[Linked Image]

Agreed!! Reminds me of the dogs playing poker smile

I think she's a Belgian Waffle Hound! We have one!!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: sactoller Re: Breeds of Dogs? - 12/29/17
Originally Posted by Jiggdog
NS Duck Tolling Retrievers don't get the credit they deserve ---beautiful,smart beyond belief , loyal. have had 2
currently have a very close runner up in a Border Collie

That they are!
[Linked Image]

Her first time pheasant hunting...
1st retrieve
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

You or the purty dog?

[Linked Image]

You or the purty dog?

Yes!
Posted By: Raeford Re: Breeds of Dogs? - 12/29/17
Originally Posted by Springcove
Chesapeake’s, labs, Tollers. All hunting breeds. Hell I like most dogs and just prefer the hunters. them over most humans.
Posted By: Borchardt Re: Breeds of Dogs? - 12/29/17
Miniature Schauzers
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Breeds of Dogs? - 12/29/17

[Linked Image]

You or the purty dog?

Yes!

Must've winded a waffle! Ya look on point!
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Breeds of Dogs? - 12/29/17
This probably sums up my preferences:

I told my wife once when we first got together that at some point I would like to have 27 dogs. You should have seen the look on her face. I had to explain:
At least a coupla 3 mutts, just because one hasta have a mutt around.
2-3 lab/retriever types, one older, one for hard hunting, and the other learning.
??? number of hounds. Although I'd never owned any, and where we lived there wasn't much to hunt with them at the time, I could see the utility in the future for running game. Beagle types or larger for coons etc would suit me. I kinda like Black and Tans too.
Lap dogs, Pomeranians or such, 3 each as the military packaging says.
Watch dogs, pick a nice size breed, GSD, Rotties, Pyrenees, some such to keep the "critters" out of the yard. 2-3 of them.
Sight hounds, for chasing schiedt down, quicklike. Greyhound, Saluki, Azawak, whatever. Couple of them at least, they work better that way.
And at least one BIG dog, Newfy, Mastiff type, maybe a Dane

Where am I at? Gotta be close to 27 by now, right. cool

Oops, I forgot the terriers? Yikes. Had a friend who showed Westies, but I like most breeds of them critter gitters. Better add 3 more to the count.

Right now we're down to two whippets. I've grown quite attached to the breed since the wife bought the first one while I was out turkey hunting. I came home to a dog that jumped up on the couch and barked at me when I first came in. Eventually she'd curl up with me, but she was always mamas girl. That bitch went on to titles and titles in her career. Agility, obedience, rally, lure coursing and even one or two in the show ring which she and my wife absolutely hated. And a squirrel killer she was too!

The two we have now are rescues, one from a breeder basically taken by the rescue group and the other from a private party that couldn't keep him in the little yard they had. They don't have as many ribbons, but we're working on it! The boy is good at getting the ground squirrels in the yard too.

Now, I'm retired and ready for a bird hunter. Looking into some "versatile" breeds, Airedale, Dratthaar, Griffon, maybe even a basic Lab.

Too many breeds, what a conundrum!!!

Geno
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Breeds of Dogs? - 12/29/17
Originally Posted by 257Deland
I’m a huge Airedale fan!! The three that I’ve had were great dogs, and not afraid of much. My first, a female, was smarter than a few folks that I know....LOL

257Deland,

do you hunt your Airedales? I'm thinking of getting one for my retirement dog.

Geno
Posted By: SU35 Re: Breeds of Dogs? - 12/29/17
I have a 1 1/2 old German Jagd Terrier. Her grandfather is from Germany and mother from Serbia.

They are fearless, super prey driven and have a good nose. This Terrier lives to hunt.
They will hunt lion, bear, go to ground on badger and fox.

Mine will retrieve in water and have friends who use them to retrieve upland birds.

After WW1 the Germans developed this bred solely for hunting and didn't want a show dog.
They got it right.

https://airedalesareafailure.wordpress.com/2013/02/21/real-hunting-terriers-german-jadg-terriers/

[Linked Image]

Thanks. We were in there just before Christmas at about 1pm. When we walked in, there she was in that same exact seat. Bartender fed her a little turkey in the back room while we were there. Not 10 minutes later, the dog was stretched out ON the bar.
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Breeds of Dogs? - 12/29/17
Yellow Labs.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: RDW Re: Breeds of Dogs? - 12/29/17
I would sure love to have another dog but for the next ten years I have to travel, that just ain't fair to a dog...
Posted By: grumpy7904 Re: Breeds of Dogs? - 12/29/17
We share our homes with Beaucerons, an old French herding breed . The Beauceron is a versatile breed that can be used for herding sheep, home protection, obedience, jogging buddy and family pet. Our females weigh approximately 90 pounds and our males are 110 to 120 pounds standing close to 27 inches to the withers.

Attached picture 21430505_10210631421850274_7739889955749121950_n.jpg
Posted By: Bearcat74 Re: Breeds of Dogs? - 12/29/17
Originally Posted by grumpy7904
We share our homes with Beaucerons, an old French herding breed . The Beauceron is a versstile breed that can be used for herding sheep, home protection, obedience, jogging buddy and family pet. Our females weigh approximately 90 pounds and our males are 110 to 120 pounds standing close to 27 inches to the withers.

Never heard of them but that's a great looking dog.
Posted By: ltppowell Re: Breeds of Dogs? - 12/30/17
I was always a pointer guy, but the birds are gone. I'm down to a 25# JRT that sleeps under the covers and a 140# Catahoula that's dumber than a rock.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Breeds of Dogs? - 12/30/17
Originally Posted by Bearcat74
Originally Posted by grumpy7904
We share our homes with Beaucerons, an old French herding breed . The Beauceron is a versstile breed that can be used for herding sheep, home protection, obedience, jogging buddy and family pet. Our females weigh approximately 90 pounds and our males are 110 to 120 pounds standing close to 27 inches to the withers.

Never heard of them but that's a great looking dog.

Got a Beauceron in my class at school...nice dog!
Posted By: ingwe Re: Breeds of Dogs? - 12/30/17
Originally Posted by JohnP
[Linked Image]

Enough said.

I am admittedly biased...

Theres German Shepherds...then theres everything else...
Posted By: irfubar Re: Breeds of Dogs? - 12/30/17
I have always been a Lab guy. A good buddy bread his female Akita and talked me into a pup.

Glad he did! I picked the only female in the litter and I have to say this has been the easiest to train dog I have owned in a lifetime of dog ownership.

Housebreaking, no problem. Have left her for short periods alone in the house since she was 7wks old and she hasn't chewed a single thing.

When I brought her home at 7wks age I was expecting a few sleepless night's due to missing mom & siblings, she never whined or cried once!

Discipline consist of telling her NO, that is all it takes. She just seems to have a knack for knowing how to behave and not be a pest.

Must admit I am impressed with Akita's.

Although according to another dog thread they are vicious and kill people. Mine has only killed rabbits and mice so far. wink

The third pic down was taken this morning and she is atop a rabbit she killed and consumed. smile

She has turned out to be the perfect dog for me and where I live, she is impervious to the cold and is big and tough enough to defend herself against predators.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Deflave's dog smile

[Linked Image]
Posted By: OdT Re: Breeds of Dogs? - 12/30/17
Originally Posted by irfubar
I have always been a Lab guy. A good buddy bread his female Akita and talked me into a pup.

Glad he did! I picked the only female in the litter and I have to say this has been the easiest to train dog I have owned in a lifetime of dog ownership.

Housebreaking, no problem. Have left her for short periods alone in the house since she was 7wks old and she hasn't chewed a single thing.

When I brought her home at 7wks age I was expecting a few sleepless night's due to missing mom & siblings, she never whined or cried once!

Discipline consist of telling her NO, that is all it takes. She just seems to have a knack for knowing how to behave and not be a pest.

Must admit I am impressed with Akita's.

Although according to another dog thread they are vicious and kill people. Mine has only killed rabbits and mice so far. wink

The third pic down was taken this morning and she is atop a rabbit she killed and consumed. smile

She has turned out to be the perfect dog for me and where I live, she is impervious to the cold and is big and tough enough to defend herself against predators.

That’s almost identical to the experience we had with our Akitas. Very gentle with the house, and very well behaved. Vocal discipline only.

However, ours (2 different dogs, about 2 years apart) both became very aggressive towards other animals at about age two. I don’t know why, but it was a very unfortunate liability that I couldn’t risk. We were forced to give both up for adoption. I’ve heard it’s not all that common for it to happen, but we were unlucky. Still miss both of them.

Great pics!
Posted By: northcountry Re: Breeds of Dogs? - 12/30/17
OdT My son had a pair of Akita's and found much the same especially the female any thing that got in the back yard was terminated and buried.
She was fine with people, but did not like other animals sneaking in the back yard. Cheers NC
Originally Posted by northcountry
OdT My son had a pair of Akita's and found much the same especially the female any thing that got in the back yard was terminated and buried.
She was fine with people, but did not like other animals sneaking in the back yard. Cheers NC

Right on. In the case of our female, we happened to be managing a large rural mobile home park at the time, and the tenants pets stood no chance. After strike 3, we had to give her up
My buddy is having problems with my Akita's mother, she is escaping the yard and attacking any dog she comes across.

So far mine loves people and kids especially.

I am a little concerned with her and other dogs though... Just recently she has decided she is dominate over any other dog, if the dog submits she is fine and wants to play, if the dog growls it's game on! Her hair stands on end and she gets a grizzly hump and I know to get her out of there.

I suspect it takes a strong owner (as in Alpha) to control these dogs?
My buddy is having problems with my Akita's mother, she is escaping the yard and attacking any dog she comes across.

I am a little concerned with her and other dogs though... Just recently she has decided she is dominate over any other dog, if the dog submits she is fine and wants to play, if the dog growls it's game on! Her hair stands on end and she gets a grizzly hump and I know to get her out of there.

I’ve often figured that part of the blame was directly related to how little I was home during those days. I worked, hunted, and partied a lot during that time.

Ours were fantastic with all children too. But I agree, I think they needed more leadership than I had to give at the time.
OdT,
I hope you are right. I spend all day with my dog and have made sure she is socialized with other dogs. She just turned two. I live remote so even if she becomes a problem I should be able to control her.

I worry if she gets a hold of a little dog she will shake it like a rabbit and kill it?

Hard to believe such a sweet dog can be so vicious?
Posted By: Nebraska Re: Breeds of Dogs? - 12/30/17
We're a German Shorthair Pointer family but I could see owning another Golden Retriever or possibly a Golden Doodle one of these days too. When we get up there a ways more in years, it might be time for a Rat Terrier or Schnauzer because they seem to be such great little companions too.....
Posted By: Salmonella Re: Breeds of Dogs? - 12/30/17
I love most dogs.
Right now I have a rat terrier and my sons chocolate lab.

The terrier is unreal, no creature on Earth has ever loved me as much as that little dog.
Super smart, doesn't shed too much and very obedient.

[Linked Image]

The Lab is a lovable , but not too bright, stubborn as hell, sh itzandsheds like nothing I've ever seen....
[Linked Image]

Next dog will be a European Doberman.
Incredibly smart, loyal to death, very little shedding and world class beauty.

[Linked Image]

OdT,
I hope you are right. I spend all day with my dog and have made sure she is socialized with other dogs. She just turned two. I live remote so even if she becomes a problem I should be able to control her.

I worry if she gets a hold of a little dog she will shake it like a rabbit and kill it?

Very much agreed.

In our second attempt (a male), we lived very rurally too. The only house nearby was my fathers a few hundred yards away. No issues for the first 2 years. I was sleeping in the daytime (worked overnight), and was woke up to the sound of a woman screaming. Thought it was a dream.

Turns out my father had company, and the wife of whoever it was, had taken her poodle for a walk on a leash towards my house. None of what happened next was pretty, but I’m sure me running out of the house in my underwear wasn’t what she was hoping for next. Lol. I got to them in time to save the poodle, but that woman had no use for my apologies. I expected a law suit for months after. No fun.
Posted By: kennyd Re: Breeds of Dogs? - 12/30/17
Properly we should have DAWGS.

My present one is as close as anyone can guess; greyhound, doberman, german shephard, weimariner, some sort of hound. 14 years old, still has her figure, seldom shows sign of arthritis and can still run. 90 pounds so she impresses people who come to the door. I still can't figure the picture thing.

The mention of Akitas brings to mind one. Son "rescued" (kidnapped) a chow/lab from some scums who mistreated him, good dog, slept by the water bowl for a week, but he would fight, partly male chow personality I think, but any curly tailed dog may be the same. Lived only to 5, like to broke my sons heart.
Posted By: renegade50 Re: Breeds of Dogs? - 12/30/17
My lab I had named Sonya when me and Khan got married , I swear to god had doggie downs syndrome. Loveable and loyal but numb as a bag of hammer hit thumbs. Gawd I could tell some stories about sonya😃. Last purebred I had.... Got 3 mutts now, Cookie a Rhodesian ridgeback and brindle American Staffordshire terrier mix 12 yrs old. Blackjack a lab and some type of pointer mix 9yrs old and his son Rico 6yrs old who has malmute and husky stuff in him from his mom Sweetheart who I had to put down from liver cancer in october(not a good day). Pure bred American cheese hounds Aka Mutts....
Posted By: 308ragincajun Re: Breeds of Dogs? - 12/30/17
I had goldens as a kid and labs as an adult. Love both of them. I will throw another into the hat- toy or miniature poodle. Very loyal and friendly, although they can be very protective. Good house dogs Smart and very athletic. No shedding, just needs occasional trimming. Very funny little dogs. The males will attempt to take over the household if you don't keep a tight lid on them. I don't have any experience with standard poodles.
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Breeds of Dogs? - 12/30/17
I do....... When I was working for my dad doing floor covering, we had a big kitchen tile job for a rich bish. She had a standard poodle named Boychek. Evey time you'd get on your knees to spread thinset, ol' Boychek would get aholt and commence to humping. This sucker was strong and determined, hard to get out from under. Well, after about the third attempt, I'd had enuff. Got up and kicked him plumb into next week. Trouble was, the owner thought his 'drive' was amusing and refused to keep him out of the house, and was watching as I kicked ol' Boychek's azz. Needless to say, I got fired.....
Posted By: Bearcat74 Re: Breeds of Dogs? - 12/30/17
Originally Posted by Salmonella

[Linked Image]

Dad raised Dobermans for 17 years and all he had was German bloodlines. He had some super dogs that were smarter than a lot of the people I know.
Posted By: 458 Lott Re: Breeds of Dogs? - 12/30/17
Originally Posted by OdT

I’ve often figured that part of the blame was directly related to how little I was home during those days. I worked, hunted, and partied a lot during that time.

Ours were fantastic with all children too. But I agree, I think they needed more leadership than I had to give at the time.

Sounds like our Anatolian. She's great with people, but the only dog's she is good with are one's that are submissive and those that are double her size and kick her ass. I think it's just the nature of some breeds.
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Breeds of Dogs? - 12/30/17
I do....... When I was working for my dad doing floor covering, we had a big kitchen tile job for a rich bish. She had a standard poodle named Boychek. Evey time you'd get on your knees to spread thinset, ol' Boychek would get aholt and commence to humping. This sucker was strong and determined, hard to get out from under. Well, after about the third attempt, I'd had enuff. Got up and kicked him plumb into next week. Trouble was, the owner thought his 'drive' was amusing and refused to keep him out of the house, and was watching as I kicked ol' Boychek's azz. Needless to say, I got fired.....

Our little maltese/poodle is a humpin' sonuvabitch....

He has his very own 'hump bed' which he breeds up literally every morning at 6:45AM.

Little bastard must have been cut proud.
Posted By: Dave_Skinner Re: Breeds of Dogs? - 12/30/17
Have had, and would get again, German shorthair, mini Rottweiler and mini poodle. Females all. All smart, all can be trained to hunt. Dad had a white poodle that was a great pheasant pointer, as good as the GS. It was fun to watch them work together and get birds.
Posted By: kingston Re: Breeds of Dogs? - 12/30/17
She’s beautiful.
Posted By: kingston Re: Breeds of Dogs? - 12/30/17

He has his very own 'hump bed' which he breeds up literally every morning at 6:45AM.

That’s such a small dog thing to do...
Posted By: SBTCO Re: Breeds of Dogs? - 12/31/17
OdT,

Never owned Akitas but have been around a few I find them difficult to read. They kinda remind me of great white sharks, the sometimes cold dark look in the eyes whether eating, napping or zeroing on the neighbors dog. Very calculating but no outward sign of whats going on in their heads.

There are ways of training through positive reinforcement to basically "neutralize" those kinds of behaviors. Takes a little work and the need to figure out what is a good motivator for your dog whether it be food, toys etc. but using that motivator for the training can get her attention away from the potential target. We've done just that with our dogs in dealing with chasing deer. Akita's and most northern Siberian/arctic breeds are closely related and still retain a lot of the primitive dog traits so the hunting drive is strong with them so often that prey drive is mistaken for aggression, especially when it comes to little dogs or cats.
Posted By: SBTCO Re: Breeds of Dogs? - 12/31/17

Our first Karelian would have wet dreams when he was a teenage pup. He'd start the action by humping air, wake up and then wonder what the hell was going on, hips still doing the nasty dance. We'd get good chuckle out of it, the dog not so much. Pure embarrassment on his face when he caught us looking.
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: Breeds of Dogs? - 12/31/17
A few from the past. Bratwurst was both a sweetheart and a savage. She could go from singing with Daddy to dragging a possum out of a den by the face in the snap of the finger.

[img]https://scontent-dft4-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...8a394a66ca0ea9dd165be688&oe=5AFB76F4[/img]

Even well into her senior years Dixie played hard. She's been gone for about 6 years now and it still chokes me up to look at her pictures.

[img]https://scontent-dft4-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...2d3bd55d2827c4f60d747bff&oe=5AC8D212[/img]

Posted By: TxHunter80 Re: Breeds of Dogs? - 12/31/17
Rescue mutts here. We have two now and will probably go that route from now on
Posted By: northcountry Re: Breeds of Dogs? - 12/31/17
Originally Posted by Bearcat74

[Linked Image]

Dad raised Dobermans for 17 years and all he had was German bloodlines. He had some super dogs that were smarter than a lot of the people I know.

I second this they frequently know what you are thinking b4 you do. Great Dogs. Cheers NC
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Breeds of Dogs? - 12/31/17
OdT,

Never owned Akitas but have been around a few I find them difficult to read. They kinda remind me of great white sharks, the sometimes cold dark look in the eyes whether eating, napping or zeroing on the neighbors dog. Very calculating but no outward sign of whats going on in their heads.

There are ways of training through positive reinforcement to basically "neutralize" those kinds of behaviors. Takes a little work and the need to figure out what is a good motivator for your dog whether it be food, toys etc. but using that motivator for the training can get her attention away from the potential target. We've done just that with our dogs in dealing with chasing deer. Akita's and most northern Siberian/arctic breeds are closely related and still retain a lot of the primitive dog traits so the hunting drive is strong with them so often that prey drive is mistaken for aggression, especially when it comes to little dogs or cats.

Saw a large male Akita tear up a homeless guy in Athens GA years ago. Sweet, old, towny bum would make his rounds and say hi to folks. Stopped to say hi to some people sitting outside a restaurant and the dog didn’t like it.

Dog was under the table, never growled, just launched at the old guy and got him on the upper arm and tore his azz up. Table and chairs went flying, bum screaming, dog shaking him like a rag, dog owner trying to pull him off.

Was a right proper schit show.

I saw the same bum sit on a fire ant pile around the same time. We nicknamed him “Ant” after that. Poor bastard.
Posted By: Chumleyhunts Re: Breeds of Dogs? - 12/31/17
I grew up with labs that Dad raised. Awesome family dogs, kept us 6 kids as in line as you could expect a dog to do growing up in the woods. Neighbor kids had 2 collies that were super protective of all of us. I've had Heelers for about 10 years now. Whole different mindset than a lab for sure. My female is protective to a fault. With a 3 month old kid in the house she wont let anybody in unless we tell her its ok. Even the UPS guy told me she's bounced off the door the few times I wasn't home. My male is just coming out of puppy brain and will be ok, but his predecessor set the bar high for any dog. That male I swear understood English and would do dang near anything I told him to do.

I also "fostered" a Neo Mastiff for 6 years when his owner never came back for him. Other than drool puddles, he was a good dog. Just too dang big and lazy enough to be a snowflake, democratic college student.

I'll get another lab in a couple years for my son to claim as his own as he's growing up.
Posted By: high_country_ Re: Breeds of Dogs? - 12/31/17
Drahthaar is about as versatile as they come. Tough. Hunt to death, easy to train and eager to please.
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Breeds of Dogs? - 12/31/17
Originally Posted by renegade50
My lab I had named Sonya when me and Khan got married , I swear to god had doggie downs syndrome. Loveable and loyal but numb as a bag of hammer hit thumbs. Gawd I could tell some stories about sonya😃. Last purebred I had.... Got 3 mutts now, Cookie a Rhodesian ridgeback and brindle American Staffordshire terrier mix 12 yrs old. Blackjack a lab and some type of pointer mix 9yrs old and his son Rico 6yrs old who has malmute and husky stuff in him from his mom Sweetheart who I had to put down from liver cancer in october(not a good day). Pure bred American cheese hounds Aka Mutts....

I always liked the Heinz 57 type dogs and have seen some smart ones, but i need a dog to hunt with me and thst means quail, dove and retrieve some ducks at times or tree a jumped bobcat. Pointers do it. Mine have all been family pets and their desire was to please me, for the most part. Maybe being pets cut out any headstrong tendancies. All ive had have made good family pets and were gentle around kids or smaller dogs, though i have seen some that others owned which were trouble makers. I dont feed a dog to put up with its BS and all of mine have known who was the boss and when to listen by the tone of my voice.

It seems the 57 variety often carry the best traits of their predecessors and strive to please. I cant, havent and wouldnt feed a dog which ignores my order of "No!", especially if belligerent to people or their pets.

I expect my dog to let me know if something is amiss.

God said to take dominion over the animals. If someone or something needs killing I'll be the one doing it.
Posted By: Tsavo Re: Breeds of Dogs? - 12/31/17
Have only experience with working dogs. Trained as military and LEO K9 handler. Primarily worked with German Shepherds and Belgian Malinois, these breeds excel in their assigned duties: EOD, Guard, Narcotics detection, and Security. From Cu Chi tunnels to the Paki border, Hostage Recuse to Meth Lab takedowns, FastRope to HALO deployment, no others need apply. Worked a recovery dog - Golden Retriever (Bruno) at the OKC bombing and NYC 9-11 which without a doubt was the best all around dog I had the privilege of sharing a life. Presently have only three dogs, another Golden Retreiver therapy dog, Texas Heeler, and ACD BlueHeeler , both heelers are trained as mountain rescue.
Posted By: ridgerunner_ky Re: Breeds of Dogs? - 12/31/17
One that doesn’t bark unless absolutely necessary. Doesn’t bark at the mailman, has enough sense to crap in the edge of yard, smart enough to know who isn’t a threat. If it bites someone they better be doing something wrong or it’s dead. Is friendly too everyone unless they are doing something they shouldn’t be. Barking for no reason is worse then nails on a chalkboard.
Which breed would this be?
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: Breeds of Dogs? - 12/31/17
Originally Posted by ridgerunner_ky
One that doesn’t bark unless absolutely necessary. Doesn’t bark at the mailman, has enough sense to crap in the edge of yard, smart enough to know who isn’t a threat. If it bites someone they better be doing something wrong or it’s dead. Is friendly too everyone unless they are doing something they shouldn’t be. Barking for no reason is worse then nails on a chalkboard.

Some breeds are more prone to barking than others, but as an owner, you can train them not to bark. Generally, not with 100% reliability, but pretty darned close.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Breeds of Dogs? - 12/31/17
Originally Posted by ridgerunner_ky

It would be the one you trained properly from a baby....

My German Shepherd fits that description.

So did my Border Collie...
Posted By: ingwe Re: Breeds of Dogs? - 12/31/17

[Linked Image]

Harry, my BFF loves the Euro Dobermans...hers was gorgeous...heres another from her...

[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire