Home
Posted By: cumminscowboy blocking midway USA - 12/30/17
I have a C&R FFL and used to get dealer pricing from midway, then several years ago they canceled it. Lately it seems like everything they sell is always too expensive. They have nothing that is a very good deal. So today I blocked and deleted all the junk mail promos they send to my email. I haven't ordered anything from them in a couple years anyways. I used to spend a couple thousand a year with them. anyone else find themselves not doing business with them anymore?
Posted By: NYH1 Re: blocking midway USA - 12/30/17
I haven't ordered anything from Midway in quite a while either. I usually find what I'm looking for cheaper elsewhere.

NYH1.
Posted By: Kodiakisland Re: blocking midway USA - 12/30/17
Midway was great in the 80's and early 90's. Last 15 years or so they are my second or third source for things. Sometimes they are the only one with stock, and sometimes they are the cheapest, but not often.
Posted By: EdM Re: blocking midway USA - 12/30/17
I am a fan of Midway for my needs.
Posted By: gunchamp Re: blocking midway USA - 12/30/17
No issues with midway here
Posted By: NVhntr Re: blocking midway USA - 12/30/17
I still shop Midway. I have noticed they aren't as competitive as they once were but I often find things on sale that are a good buy.
Posted By: luv2safari Re: blocking midway USA - 12/30/17
I used to be able to find things at Midway for people who need to reload because they had unusual calibers. They have become like all other big-box enterprises and are now offering far less to us and are concentrating more on fast moving merchandise. I'm also finding this to be a trend with Graf & Sons.

I don't think I've ordered anything from Midway for three years now.
Posted By: westside_benny Re: blocking midway USA - 12/30/17
Haven't had many projects going recently to need to place an order from them or their competition. But HO-LEE-[bleep], am I glad I finally got a smart phone so I can erase all the gawd damn emails! Brownell's is worse. MF'rs, I bought some [bleep] from you last year..does not mean I want an email from you every 1/2 hour. Little less painful now that I can erase the amazing offers as they show up, rather than 50 at the end of day.
Posted By: stevelyn Re: blocking midway USA - 12/30/17
I can't complain about Midway.
Posted By: akjeff Re: blocking midway USA - 12/30/17
I don't do business with them anymore either. Their shipping policies to Alaska suck. Plenty of options to choose from elsewhere.

Jeff
Posted By: EdM Re: blocking midway USA - 12/30/17
Originally Posted by akjeff
I don't do business with them anymore either. Their shipping policies to Alaska suck. Plenty of options to choose from elsewhere.

Jeff

See above post...
Posted By: MontanaMan Re: blocking midway USA - 12/30/17
Originally Posted by NVhntr
I still shop Midway. I have noticed they aren't as competitive as they once were but I often find things on sale that are a good buy.

This^^^^^

They are not always the lowest, but sometimes they are; you just have to pick & choose.

I use them when they are or if they have something that no one else has that I need at that time.

MM
Posted By: muleshoe Re: blocking midway USA - 12/30/17
Over the years I have bought a few things from Midway, always been happy with price and service.

If I pulled my business from them I seriously doubt they could keep the doors open.
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: blocking midway USA - 12/30/17
MidwayUSA has more relevant chit than anywhere BY FAR and an absolutely superb e-commerce site. They will not have the lowest price on every item. They will have a selection of items very hard to impossible to find elsewhere and very clear policies and excellent service. Haters have generally proven themselves to be dumb [bleep]...
Posted By: ring3 Re: blocking midway USA - 12/30/17
Midway gets much of my business. Sure I shop and buy elsewhere based on availability and price. No complaints when Midway wins my money. Have been a customer for 20+ years.
Posted By: CRS Re: blocking midway USA - 12/30/17
I am with ED, they work great for what I need. But I have needed them way less the last few years.

The latest was questionable pricing. Was going to buy a scope, but when I got to the billing page, somehow by pure magic the price increased by $50. With the disclaimer that prices may change suddenly. Thought about sending them email, but they knew exactly what they were doing.

Simply deleted the item, logged out and went on with my day.
Posted By: 257heaven Re: blocking midway USA - 12/30/17
I still buy from them. You just have to know what's a good deal and what's not.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: blocking midway USA - 12/30/17
I still get stuff from them on occasion.

Mostly I'm mad at them for doing away with that wonderful reading material for the "little room". grin

Geno
Posted By: Hastings Re: blocking midway USA - 12/30/17
I dropped them a few years ago when powder was in short supply. They did not have my first choice in stock. That was IMR 4350 and 4064. So I ordered Accurate brand 4350 and 4064 which was listed in stock.I believe this order was placed in February. By the next fall the powder still hadn't arrived. I had called a couple of times and been assured it was coming. I had trouble understanding this since it was "in stock". Finally I wrote a real letter and asked that the powder be shipped or my money returned with interest. Well, somebody named Larry called and told me that I should check with my bank because they had credited my account the month before and the powder wasn't available. I told him I thought my order had been diverted to a more favored customer and he didn't deny it. I told him that was a heck of a CS way of doing business and after he thanked me for my business the call terminated and I have had no trouble finding other places to order the supplies I need. Natchez, Midsouth, and Third generation mostly furnish what we need. If he would have just apologized and told me a plausible story of how his supplier had shafted him and sold the powder to some huge ammo company I would have been OK.
Posted By: OdT Re: blocking midway USA - 12/30/17
We jumped back in to handloading and shooting in Nov and shopped all the almost identical equipment and components on three sites. Midway, Natchez, and Brownells. I guess it was around $2k total, though we are still ordering small items. Midway earned most of that exchange. Mostly because of the ease of placing the orders and available inventory, but some on price.

No complaints here

Edit.. pretty sure I blocked their emails before they sent them

Posted By: 79S Re: blocking midway USA - 12/30/17
Originally Posted by EdM

Jeff

See above post...

Yeah they only charge an additional $10 bucks to ship to Alaska.. Since it’s being shipped outside continental United States. We don’t have post offices here in Alaska.. insert a lot of sarcasm with this post. I won’t order from them after trying order brass and they were going charging 18 bucks to ship here to Alaska. No thank you...
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by EdM

Jeff

See above post...

Yeah they only charge an additional $10 bucks to ship to Alaska.. Since it’s being shipped outside continental United States. We don’t have post offices here in Alaska.. insert a lot of sarcasm with this post. I won’t order from them after trying order brass and they were going charging 18 bucks to ship here to Alaska. No thank you...

Try living down here with the rest of the lunatics. $10 is cheap!
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: blocking midway USA - 12/30/17
I do most of my ordering from them and Brownells.

May not be the cheapest, but they have a lot in stock.
Posted By: 79S Re: blocking midway USA - 12/30/17
Originally Posted by OdT
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by EdM

Jeff

See above post...

Lol i guess the issue is where is this 10 bucks going when midway is putting these items in a flat rate shipping box.. Good ol Larry
getting money to make his fireside chat videos lol..
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by OdT
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by EdM

Jeff

See above post...

Lol i guess the issue is where is this 10 bucks going when midway is putting these items in a flat rate shipping box.. Good ol Larry
getting money to make his fireside chat videos lol..

Right on. Seems like the same old song and dance from Larry, no matter what you need or where it’s going. At least he takes a chit in the box and marks it guaranteed. Lol
Posted By: KMS Re: blocking midway USA - 12/30/17
Yep. They quit giving dealer discounts and then tried to me that I was somehow getting a better deal. I haven't ordered anything from them since.
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: blocking midway USA - 12/30/17
Originally Posted by 257heaven
I still buy from them. You just have to know what's a good deal and what's not.

^^^This^^^
Posted By: Orion2000 Re: blocking midway USA - 12/30/17
1) They have their eCommerce site down pat. Flows smoothly. Works well. Makes it EASY to order from them.

2) They have a wide variety of material listed on their eComm site. While they are not always the cheapest, frequently, they will have items in stock when others do not.

3) Their Customer Service SUCKS when you have a problem. Polite, but not customer oriented.

Back when primers were in short supply, I put Federal 205 GMM on my Midway "In Stock" notification list. First In Stock Notification, tried to order about 27 minutes after the notification email. Already sold out. One month later, second notification, logged in again 15 to 18 minutes after the email arrived. Sold out, again . Frustrating, because Midway would not allow back orders on primers like they did everything else. Third notification, I logged in immediately, and managed to snag two cases.

A week later, no shipping info. I called. "Oh, your primers are sitting in the Customer Pick Up location here at our shop waiting for you to pick them up..." Living in Kentucky, I have NEVER ordered anything form Midway for customer pickup. Asked them to ship them to me. "O.K." Several days later, still no shipping info. Called again. Supposedly, while the two cases were being moved from the Customer Pickup area back to Shipping, they were set down long enough to be picked up to fulfill another order. Arggghhh.... My credit card was charged at the original transaction. No amount of reasoning would convince them to simply "Back Order" the primers so that two cases, that I had already paid for, would be set aside out of the next shipment. Cancelled my order. They did promptly refund my credit card.

Immediately, went to Cabela's website. The primers were back ordered. Placed a back order. A month later, the two cases of (unobtanium) Federal 205 GMM primers showed up on my door step. Cabela's had some type of promotion at that time. Total Delivered Cost from Cabela's was less than the list price at Midway BEFORE tax, shipping, and handling were added on. Three to four months of frustration with Midway, and no primers. One month of "fire and forget" with Cabela's, primers are in hand, with zero drama...

I still do a fair amount of business with Midway. However, they are no longer my preferred vendor. They only get my business when they are the lowest cost, or, the only eComm site that has the desired product in stock.
Posted By: Mittenman Re: blocking midway USA - 12/30/17
Originally Posted by Kodiakisland
Midway was great in the 80's and early 90's. Last 15 years or so they are my second or third source for things. Sometimes they are the only one with stock, and sometimes they are the cheapest, but not often.

This pretty well sums up how I feel. I like to look around the Midway site or flyers once in a while and have no problem with there customer service but unless they're the only company with something I'm looking for in stock there's, nothing about Midway to separate them from their competitors and I can usually find it cheaper some place else.
Posted By: Spotshooter Re: blocking midway USA - 12/30/17

Wow complaining about Midway USA is kind of a reach,

I could beleive complaining about prices at Cabelas, but midway has good pricing on a bunch of stuff, the site is killer, and they ship fast.

I look at them first because of the shipping is quick, but to expect them to be the cheapest on everything all the time is just naive

I find customers to be a bigger pain in the Arse at a store than the employee’s - so if some uber picky people don’t want to use them - all good... At least the employee’’s won’t have to deal with customers who are more time consuming.

I.E. - Unless they screwed you over (not) I don’t see any loss for them, or me if some guys don’t use them.

Cup half full ?
Posted By: Bearcat74 Re: blocking midway USA - 12/30/17

I use Midway quite a bit
Posted By: Mittenman Re: blocking midway USA - 12/30/17
Originally Posted by Spotshooter

Wow complaining about Midway USA is kind of a reach,

I could beleive complaining about prices at Cabelas, but midway has good pricing on a bunch of stuff, the site is killer, and they ship fast.

I look at them first because of the shipping is quick, but to expect them to be the cheapest on everything all the time is just naive

I find customers to be a bigger pain in the Arse at a store than the employee’s - so if some uber picky people don’t want to use them - all good... At least the employee’’s won’t have to deal with customers who are more time consuming.

I.E. - Unless they screwed you over (not) I don’t see any loss for them, or me if some guys don’t use them.

Cup half full ?

I haven't seen where anyone is bashing Midway so much as stating that there are usually better prices to be had on other sites and equal customer service. Pre internet Midway and Brownell's were two of a small number of big suppliers with hard to find items in stock. In today's market nothing really distinguishes Midway from the pack and price wise they tend to run a little high
I've been a customer of Midway for forty years. Not ordered much the last few years cause there just isn't much I need now.
Posted By: skeen Re: blocking midway USA - 12/30/17
I would strongly disagree that, "nothing distinguished Midway from the pack." They have the best eCommerce site in the industry, that I'm aware of, by far. And in my experience, their customer service is first rate.

Furthermore, I'd much rather give my money to an ardent NRA supporter in Larry Potterfield than say Jeff Bezos at Amazon. I'll even pay a couple bucks more to buy from Midway than some of the competitors.

Their shipping is the fastest in the business. It does cost a little more, but they almost always offer free shipping on orders over $99 bucks.
Posted By: EQFD193 Re: blocking midway USA - 12/30/17
I just purchased from Midway a Choate stock set for my model 37 Ithaca...It was actually cheaper than if purchased directly from the manufacturer. I generally do a search and will deal with whatever reputable company pops up with the product in stock at a fair net price (shipping ,tax).
Posted By: dale06 Re: blocking midway USA - 12/30/17
I have no problems with them. I buy from them and others, depending on price and availability. Bought some on sale dies from them recently at a very good price b
Posted By: littlecmonkey Re: blocking midway USA - 12/30/17
I buy occasionally from them, but have no loyalty there. I'd probably buy more if every TV ad didn't have to have that dork Potterfield's face on it. Same goes with eharmony, having that geriatric old fart giving advice to some twenty something on dating. He can disappear too.
Posted By: sawbuck Re: blocking midway USA - 12/30/17
Ordering dies from PSA that I needed relatively soon made me appreciate the great service I receive from Midway.
Posted By: hanco Re: blocking midway USA - 12/30/17
I use them. Convenient
Posted By: SKane Re: blocking midway USA - 12/30/17
I like Midway. Great website, fast shipping and I have no beef with them being a little more expensive on occasion.
And, given the way they gave the OP the grumpy-grumps, I'd say they're also a pretty good judge of character. whistle
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: blocking midway USA - 12/30/17
I buy some from them. Since I am just over 100 miles from them shipping is very fast. Also order from Brownells, Natchez, Midsouth, Grafs and others.

Also buy from a couple little shops just down the road. They aren't any higher than mail order and 1 has a hell of a powder selection.

I do shop around and also find myself ordering some stuff from all of them that is a killer deal at the time.

Right now Fiocchi 410 shells from Midway are cheaper with shipping than I can get any of the Big 3 ammo companies 410 ammo locally.

Actually when needing dies for a new cartridge or wanting to try new bullets I have been posting a WTB ad here. Only thing I didn't buy from here for my new 280 purchase was brushes and a jag. Dies, brass and quite a few bullets came from members on here.
Posted By: boltgunjim Re: blocking midway USA - 12/30/17
I got mad at them a few years ago regarding a promotion in Eastman's Journal. Eastman's had a notice that Eastman subscribers could get a 10% discount from Midway for a limited time. I ordered an item but the discount did not show up when I used the discount code. I called Midway and was informed the discount only applied to clearance items. The ad did not specify that. I then called Eastman's and they told me that Midway had not mentioned that restriction when they made the offer to the magazine. I prompty removed my name from Midway's email notices and quit doing business with them for a few years. I started doing business again when they had some scarce primers in stock.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: blocking midway USA - 12/30/17
They only get my business when they are the lowest cost, or, the only eComm site that has the desired product in stock.

This is how I try to buy everything: Who's the cheapest, fastest shipper, or as a last resort, who's the only one that's got what I want. Sometimes, Midway is all three, sometimes just one or two. LGSs around here stock very little in the line of components (except powder and primers) because they don't have the money to maintain stock, or often knowledgable staff to manage it all. Midway is a reliable source for all kinds of stuff and sometimes that's the most important thing.

They also ship quickly.
Posted By: kid0917 Re: blocking midway USA - 12/30/17
so, forgiveness is possible! I like that.
Posted By: ctsmith Re: blocking midway USA - 12/30/17
Midway is my go to first choice with a multiple item order. They usually have everything in stock and end up cheaper than ordering from several different places when shipping cost is factored in. Even if they are slightly more expensive I prefer the convenience of one source and receiving one shipment.

If ordering one item I will price shop.
I use them pretty regularly. They are sometimes the only company who has something I need in stock.
Posted By: 458 Lott Re: blocking midway USA - 12/30/17
MIdsouth, better prices and reasonable shipping.

I use Midway when I can't find an item in stock elsewhere, but their prices and especially shipping to AK make them non competitive. Yes they do have a well setup web commerce site, no to me it's not worth paying an additions 10% for that convenience.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: blocking midway USA - 12/30/17
I still buy things from Midway on occasion. Always had good service from them.
Posted By: TxHunter80 Re: blocking midway USA - 12/30/17
I routinely buy from Midway and think they are one of the better online retailers. They do lose out sometimes because their shipping on ammo is high and others often offer free shipping.
Posted By: tikkanut Re: blocking midway USA - 12/30/17

Service & selection is always good with Midway......pricing may not be so good.......

Brownells..Graf's.......seem to offer more discounts more often..

I use all three......best price gets my vote.......
Posted By: cra1948 Re: blocking midway USA - 12/30/17
Midway’s always treated me well. I usually only concern myself with prices on significant items....customer service and having what I want when I want it and having a smooth, easy to use e-commerce site costs a few bucks to maintain. That gets passed on to me...it’s worth it IMO.

If I don’t want a lot of promotional emails I unsubscribe. Takes about 5 seconds.
Posted By: hasbeen1945 Re: blocking midway USA - 12/30/17
I’ve found I’m using Brownells more and more. Love the deals especially free shipping. Put stuff in my cart, wait for deal and shipping.
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: blocking midway USA - 12/30/17
Originally Posted by westside_benny
Haven't had many projects going recently to need to place an order from them or their competition. But HO-LEE-[bleep], am I glad I finally got a smart phone so I can erase all the gawd damn emails! Brownell's is worse. MF'rs, I bought some [bleep] from you last year..does not mean I want an email from you every 1/2 hour. Little less painful now that I can erase the amazing offers as they show up, rather than 50 at the end of day.

Or you can simply unsubscribe.

I know....you shouldn't have to in the first place but it sounds like it'll lower your blood pressure.
Posted By: dye7barrel Re: blocking midway USA - 12/30/17
Midway has always done good on my orders. No complaints.
Posted By: IZH27 Re: blocking midway USA - 12/30/17
15 years ago it was primarily Graf’s and Midway. About 5 years ago I saw Graf’s prices going up and deals going down.
I now surf between Midway, Powder Valley, Midsouth, Brownell’s and Natchez. Graf’s hasn’t seen and won’t see any of my money until they figure out that they arent selling gold.

Any other dealers that I should have on my list?
Posted By: aalf Re: blocking midway USA - 12/30/17
Funny, when Midway started, they had free shipping on everything in the catalog. When they decided to start charging for shipping , good 'ol Larry claimed they were lowering prices across the board to make it sound like it was saving us money.

I saved the last "free shipping" catalog to compare with the new "fair shipping" bible. Majority of the prices didn't change......

Like Cabelas, I buy there when it's on sale, or the last place that has it in stock.
Posted By: MontanaMan Re: blocking midway USA - 12/30/17
Originally Posted by skeen

Their shipping is the fastest in the business. It does cost a little more, but they almost always offer free shipping on orders over $99 bucks.

No, although over the last 2-3 years, Midway has done very well on quick shipping, I think the fastest is Primary Arms............but they don't have all the products that Midway does.

MM
Posted By: Gladesman Re: blocking midway USA - 12/30/17
I shop around a lot online before I buy something. I will use Midway if they are the only source or they have a good sale price. They have really made me mad regarding some back orders and it was not a one time issue. I believe it takes some concern for the customer to develop brand loyalty an they have fallen flat on that. I have had Cabala's honor back orders after an 18 months wait. Back order something from Cabala's, if they can get it, you will get it.
Posted By: Heym06 Re: blocking midway USA - 12/30/17
No complaints about Midway, I only order what I can't find local. Midway has always been top notch for my needs!
Posted By: gunzo Re: blocking midway USA - 12/30/17
I've dealt with Natchez & Midsouth Shooters supply for decades, & 90% of the time their prices are better than Midway. I have ordered from Midway when they have a sale, but unless you're quick, most of the sale items will be out of stock.

In less words; Midway is a second to last resort for me, or if I'm needing something really, really bad or it's on sale I order from Cabela's.
Posted By: lightman Re: blocking midway USA - 12/30/17
I'm still pretty happy with Midway.
Posted By: Szumi Re: blocking midway USA - 12/30/17
I got nothing against Midway or Grafs but I haven't shopped with them for a couple years. Most of the time I just need reloading supplies that I buy at the local gun shop. I've reached the point where I've acquired enough stuff that I need to use what I've bought before I get too old to use it.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: blocking midway USA - 12/30/17
I do most of my buying from the local guys too.

To me, Midway is kind of like WalMart.

When you actually look around, WalMart does not have the lowest prices, but they sure have the inventory. No need to go to 10 different places to find what you need.

You pay extra for the convenience. If you are cool with that fine. If it pisses you off, fine.

Thankfully we still have options.

When Amazon finally buys ouf Midway then we will be screwed!
Posted By: Waders Re: blocking midway USA - 12/30/17
What a lot of people miss is the fact that it is cheaper to stock up in advance. When you need something, go to the closet and get what you bought 6 months ago.

When the next "ammo/gun scare" happens (and it will), people will cry loud and long about prices. They will sob how their grandson needs 50 rounds of .22 ammo and there is none to be found. They will want to buy a stripped AR lower, 2 pounds of powder, some primers, some brass, and some magazines for their pistol or AR--and they are going to lose their minds about prices and non-availability.

LISTEN UP: Buy stuff now. Continuously surf websites (Midway, Powder Valley, Midsouth, Brownells, Cabelas, everywhere!) for best prices and free shipping when you can get it. (I haven't paid for shipping in forever; I keep adding stuff to my carts at various websites and buy when there's a promotion.)

In the wake of the last election, by now everybody should have a half dozen stripped lowers, ten thousand rounds (or more) of .22lr ammo, a bunch of AR mags, and enough reloading components for the next decade. If you shoot factory ammo, you should be buying by the case from TargetSportsUSA.com (low prices and free shipping every time). As of 2 minutes ago, you can get brass cased 9mm shipped to your door for $0.19 per round, .45 ACP for $0.26 per round, and .22lr for $0.05 per round.

At my range, people don't even care about 9mm or .40 brass anymore. It's all in the bin. I even get .45 ACP brass about every other trip. That NEVER used to happen. Right now is the time to prepare for the next shortage. Yeah you have to part with your hard-earned money, but you will feel like a genius later.

OK, rant over. Best wishes to us all!
Posted By: plainsman456 Re: blocking midway USA - 12/30/17
I had a FFL and bought a lot of things from Midway.

It really made me upset when they discontinued the dealer discount.

Still buy from them from time to time but there are other players that want my money as well.
Posted By: Timberlake Re: blocking midway USA - 12/30/17
I've used Midway often in the past and still do, on occasion. It's best to shop around before you push the send button. You will save yourself money and frustration. ALL stores change their MO from time to time.
Posted By: Whttail_in_MT Re: blocking midway USA - 12/30/17
If you're ordering something from Midway that doesn't ship free, click on the free shipping tab at the top. I can usually find something there for little cost, and some value, that when added to the other items in my cart greatly reduces or eliminates the shipping charge. At least to my zip code.
Posted By: boatboy Re: blocking midway USA - 12/30/17
I don't buy from them often

But I bet they are cutting "dealer discounts" because their overall margin has dropped with the net and they don't have as much to give

Ironically I ordered from them today clearance clothes are a barging

Hank
Posted By: lastround Re: blocking midway USA - 12/30/17
I still order from Midway USA.
Posted By: Tyrone Re: blocking midway USA - 12/30/17
Midway is overpriced on a lot of their stuff.
However, every now and then (probably too often for my budget smile ), I get a screaming deal on bullets from them. For instance, I picked up a bunch of Nosler RDFs for ~$0.14ea and some Speer 125gr TNTs for about the same. Man, it's been years since I saw those Speer's that cheap.
Posted By: Tyrone Re: blocking midway USA - 12/30/17
I'm kicking myself right now for passing on some .311" 125gr Nosler plastic tip bullets for about 15 cents each. frown
Bet they'd kill the deers 110% dead.
Posted By: DakotaDeer Re: blocking midway USA - 12/30/17
I've never had any problems with them, and have no complaints. I hope they continue to flourish.
Posted By: alwaysoutdoors Re: blocking midway USA - 12/30/17
Blocked them years ago
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: blocking midway USA - 12/30/17
Love their site! THEE model e-commerce experience, near perfect. Want discount prices, register your birthday....
Posted By: Prwlr Re: blocking midway USA - 12/30/17
Still use them from time to time. I do shop for best prices, free shipping...etc.
Posted By: captbutch Re: blocking midway USA - 12/30/17
Love Midway, they are quick and usually have what I need.
And they give back to shooting and youth organizations.
Posted By: renegade50 Re: blocking midway USA - 12/30/17
Buy some harder to find suff from em every once in awhile. Opted out of their email after a week of getting bombarded constantly by them.
Posted By: savage24 Re: blocking midway USA - 12/31/17
I've been a midway customer for 25 years. I'm another one that thinks they were better in the 90's. They had better prices when they offered free shipping. Living in Missouri, I also get to pay sales tax on my orders. Shipping plus sales tax is usually a deal killer for me- their prices are not that low to start with. I only buy from them now when I have a code for free shipping or I will be driving by on I-70 and can pick up my order. When I know I will be going that way I will look through their clearance section and usually find some good deals. I'm wearing an El Paso Saddlery belt that I got for $46 from their clearance section just before Christmas.
Posted By: rainierrifleco Re: blocking midway USA - 12/31/17
Dealer discounts went away a few years ago....i use brownells exclusively...the 2 companies are not even in the same class for costumer service....I actually stopped at midway to ask about the dealer thing in person...they said dealers were such a small percentage of buesness it wasn't worth the extra effort....and just didn't care.....whelk screw me....
A few months later I went to brownells.....had a good conversation with the girl at the counter.....we talked midway...she said dealers and gunsmiths were the cornerstone of the buesness and that's not changing....100% money back on all products no matter what....
Posted By: sackett Re: blocking midway USA - 12/31/17
Originally Posted by rainierrifleco
Dealer discounts went away a few years ago....i use brownells exclusively...the 2 companies are not even in the same class for costumer service....I actually stopped at midway to ask about the dealer thing in person...they said dealers were such a small percentage of buesness it wasn't worth the extra effort....and just didn't care.....whelk screw me....
A few months later I went to brownells.....had a good conversation with the girl at the counter.....we talked midway...she said dealers and gunsmiths were the cornerstone of the buesness and that's not changing....100% money back on all products no matter what....

Bit not everything at Brownell's gets a dealer discount, and many of the items that do have the discount are more expensive before adding the deal, so no real savings is actually happening.

And yes I will buy reloading stuff at: Midway, Brownelsl, Natchez, Graf, Powder Valley, Bruno's; and in the "old days" Gander Mountain & Cabelas.
Posted By: sackett Re: blocking midway USA - 12/31/17
Originally Posted by aalf
Funny, when Midway started, they had free shipping on everything in the catalog. When they decided to start charging for shipping , good 'ol Larry claimed they were lowering prices across the board to make it sound like it was saving us money.

I saved the last "free shipping" catalog to compare with the new "fair shipping" bible. Majority of the prices didn't change......

Like Cabelas, I buy there when it's on sale, or the last place that has it in stock.

What dates/years are you comparing prices to/from? Heck Midway used to (25 years ago) offer 2-3 day UPS shipping for only a couple bucks......but they stopped that due to high shipping costs as well
Posted By: aalf Re: blocking midway USA - 12/31/17
Originally Posted by sackett
Originally Posted by aalf

What dates/years are you comparing prices to/from? Heck Midway used to (25 years ago) offer 2-3 day UPS shipping for only a couple bucks......but they stopped that due to high shipping costs as well

I was comparing the last "free shipping" catalog to the following year's "fair shipping" catalog.
Posted By: Hawk_Driver Re: blocking midway USA - 12/31/17
I havent done any business with them in almost 3 years. Their CS, in my opinion, sucks. They will never get another dime from me. YMMV
Posted By: butchlambert1 Re: blocking midway USA - 12/31/17
Wouldn't buy anything from them, and not because of price or shipping!
Posted By: akjeff Re: blocking midway USA - 12/31/17
I don't get people getting their panties in a wad, just because some of us aren't enamored with, and choose not to patronize Midway. They charge $10 extra just because the package is going to Alaska. A flat rate box is a flat rate box. Doesn't make a [bleep] of difference what state it's being mailed to. Pretty simple choice when there are other companies don't have such idiotic policies. How that gets construed as being a "hater" etc.. is beyond me. If you enjoy lighting $10 bills on fire for no good reason, go for it.

Jeff
Posted By: curdog4570 Re: blocking midway USA - 12/31/17
We finally got a decent LGS here a couple years ago and I buy all my loading supplies from them, even if they have to order it for me.

But.... a couple months ago I needed some 350 gr RNFP Hornady 458 bullets and could not find any and my store couldn’t find any either. I surfed the net and the only ones I found were at Midway so I bought a couple hundred.

I didn’t know Midway stopped dealer discounts but that explains why my local guy couldn’t find any.

I used to have to drive ninety miles one way to get powder so I’m sure as hell gonna do my part to keep the local guys open.

But I appreciate Midway also and I don’t get their emails.

Cabelas is the one that’s gone to hell.
Posted By: tedthorn Re: blocking midway USA - 12/31/17
I won't order from Midway or Graffs unless they are at least 8% cheaper then everyone else out of the state of Missouri

As far as Midway USA.......it's not hard at all to find a better price then what they offer
Posted By: Calvin Re: blocking midway USA - 12/31/17
Larry lost me with the $10 surcharge to ship to AK. My last few purchases have been on Amazon.
Posted By: bigwhoop Re: blocking midway USA - 12/31/17
I'll comparison shop and the final decision will be what the shipping cost is.
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: blocking midway USA - 12/31/17
For chits and giggles I looked at shipping for an item to Yakutat. No surcharge via USPS, $4.99 actually. Note said some carriers do charge a surcharge. Down south I noticed more shipping options since awhile back, maybe a year ago. Awesome e-commerce site.
Posted By: sandcritter Re: blocking midway USA - 12/31/17
Be honest - at the end of the day, you’ll buy from whoever has what you need or else go without which, being “one guy”, hurts them not.

Midway has a pretty good search function and stocks a good bit of the arcane stuff i like. That said, they’re third, fourth on my list soley because they’ve some shady practices. They’re inventory numbers are clearly low or modest - so they’ll gladly take your backorder, fill it if/when it ever suits them, and overcharge you not once, but now twice, for separate shipping.

For big-box, Brownells is my go-to. Search is a little shaky, but Stellar CS and save a ton with the Edge program. Last night i needed a spring. No problem; 2min online and it’ll be at my door in a few business days. With Brownells I feels like a customer; with midway i feel like a potential mark.
Posted By: T_O_M Re: blocking midway USA - 12/31/17
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
anyone else find themselves not doing business with them anymore?

Quite the opposite. They're my go-to. I only look for stuff elsewhere when Midway doesn't carry it or doesn't have it in stock. I would say if I combined all other sources together, Midway orders would outnumber them at least 5:1. Sportsman's Warehouse used to get most of my gun and ammo money but since they quit taking checks, and I won't use plastic in a physical store because I can't review their card security measures, the reloading component purchases go to Midway now and the gun purchases go to one of the local dealers.

Tom
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
For chits and giggles I looked at shipping for an item to Yakutat. No surcharge via USPS, $4.99 actually. Note said some carriers do charge a surcharge. Down south I noticed more shipping options since awhile back, maybe a year ago. Awesome e-commerce site.

Probably because the item you selected weighed less than a pound. The surcharge kicks in on shipments over one pound to Alaska and Hawaii.

Jeff
Posted By: JGray Re: blocking midway USA - 12/31/17
I've never had an issue with Midway and order from them frequently (and Graf's as well). Midway seems to process orders quicker than any others and the few returns I've had were processed quickly with no questions asked. I agree that shopping around will usually yield better prices but more often than not, the other places don't have everything I need where Midway often does. I don't mind paying a little more to get what I need in one order rather than paying shipping for multiple orders just to get the lowest price.

The other day I ordered steel bases direct from Talley, and Talley rings from Midway. The shipping from Midway was 1/2 the shipping from Talley and is a larger/heavier package. The rings from Midway shipped the same day ordered - can't imagine better service than that...
Posted By: Prwlr Re: blocking midway USA - 12/31/17
Originally Posted by sandcritter
Brownells......Search is a little shaky

Down right maddening at times.
Posted By: cumminscowboy Re: blocking midway USA - 12/31/17
Originally Posted by rainierrifleco

the problem with what they did was now I don't buy anything from them anymore. like I said I probably spend 2 grand a year with them. I also would do an order and figure lets throw some other purchases on there while I am at it. grafs right now still has the best dealer program but as time goes by high ticket optics items seemed to be more and more removed from the dealer site. although I still didn't take advantage of that much. Doug , euro optic or used was normally still always the better deal. brownells does seem to be a cut above in service.

Probably because the item you selected weighed less than a pound. The surcharge kicks in on shipments over one pound to Alaska and Hawaii.

Jeff

It was a light item.

I see that is their policy. Cheers, stay warm, happy new year and all that.
Posted By: tedthorn Re: blocking midway USA - 12/31/17
Originally Posted by Prwlr

Brownells website is and has been a pita

Originally Posted by tedthorn
Originally Posted by Prwlr

Brownells website is and has been a pita

It's like going back in time!
Posted By: Huntz Re: blocking midway USA - 12/31/17
Midway has a lot of their items with free shipping.They give a good discount for your birthday.I seldom have to wait more than 2 to 3 days to get my order.I do not live in Alaska,but when I do have to pay shipping it is pretty cheap to Wisconsin.I have been buying from them since they started.I still shop around on big ticket items.
Posted By: MJones Re: blocking midway USA - 12/31/17
I feel like I'm in the minority , but Midway never has anything I want in stock. Maybe all those old metric calibers do have a downside .
Posted By: Dustylongshot Re: blocking midway USA - 12/31/17
I'm class 07 with SOT and we are exempt from Colorado's magazine ban. I ordered some Mag Pul high cap mags from them and the website blocked the order. I called CS and was told they don't send any thing like that to anybody in Colorado period. Rep had a nasty attitude about it so I blocked their email and have not ordered anything from them since July of 2013. I have talked to them at Shot Show and they confirmed the same. I told them other suppliers do after I sign a disclaimer form. Still wouldn't budge. So they can GFY!

Jeff

It was a light item.

I see that is their policy. Cheers, stay warm, happy new year and all that.

Cheers and a happy new year to you too! We're doing pretty good in the stay warm department.....26 above today, I'll take it! smile

Jeff
Posted By: Remington6MM Re: blocking midway USA - 12/31/17
I buy from them most of the time because of their easy website and good shipping service. I'll buy most of my powder and primers from a local supplier to avoid the shipping of hazardous material fees.They are great in my mind.
Posted By: alwaysoutdoors Re: blocking midway USA - 12/31/17
Originally Posted by Dustylongshot
I'm class 07 with SOT and we are exempt from Colorado's magazine ban. I ordered some Mag Pul high cap mags from them and the website blocked the order. I called CS and was told they don't send any thing like that to anybody in Colorado period. Rep had a nasty attitude about it so I blocked their email and have not ordered anything from them since July of 2013. I have talked to them at Shot Show and they confirmed the same. I told them other suppliers do after I sign a disclaimer form. Still wouldn't budge. So they can GFY!

Yes, they can. Their customer service is what made me quit them.
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: blocking midway USA - 01/01/18
Originally Posted by stevelyn
I can't complain about Midway.

I did complain once & Mr. Potterfield came around to my way of thinking. I was impressed. I still buy from them. Sometimes the convenience is worth paying a few more dollars.
© 24hourcampfire