Home
That was Pon de Campo, camp bread, the guy took out of the Dutch oven. I fix it pretty often. Smear real butter on it while it’s still hot and it will hold you until the regular meal is done.
Cool ..
cool.
Note the hand made custom cell phone case on the right hip of the cowboy on the right. There is a lot of skill required in weaving such, or a hand fitted custom rawhide strip case for a folding knife.

You ever see one of those for a folding knife, Curdog? They aint cheap.
No mesquite thorns and no chaps needed in Florida.

Damn. All we have is surfers.
How often do horses suffer snake bites I wonder ?

If a horse got hammered in the leg by a big cottonmouth how long would the horse be down for ?
I dont know. Probably 3 days. About like a leg hit dog.

Curdog, have you had any horses hit? Were you ever on one that was hit?
Good videos.
Thanks Jaguartx I know those guys and related to some of them...My family has been there since the 1740's
very cool
Lucio
Originally Posted by shortround3
Thanks Jaguartx I know those guys and related to some of them...My family has been there since the 1740's
very cool
Lucio

Really....the 13 colonies were only partially settled in the 1740's
Originally Posted by jaguartx

A cottonmouth ain’t in the same league with a rattlesnake in my opinion, and I’ve been bit by both.

A Neighbor of mine had a good cowhorse that was rattlesnake bit on two different occasions, both times in the jaw. His head swelled up some, just like a dog will, but there was no permanent damage.

Cows get snakebit all the time with not much I’ll effects and I don’t see why a horse would be much different. Their bodies are too far off the ground for a snake to hit and body bites are the worst kind for dogs.
Originally Posted by doctor_Encore
very cool
Lucio

What does that have to do with Lucio’s post.
very cool
Lucio

Doc,

the Spainards first came to Texas beginning in 1519 and set up settlements throughout what is now Texas.

The French took over for five years in 1684 - 1689.

Spain took it back until 1821 when the Mexican Revolution occurred.

In 1836, Texas declared independence from Mexico and was its own country for ten years until joining the US.

Nice video, thanks for sharing Jag. I worked cattle some growing up and the smell of the branding still comes back to mind seeing that video.

I love South Texas.

Great videos.

But my religion don't permit me to eat parts of an animal what ain't dead yet eek

Wuss, I know....
Those guys can't be "Texas cowboys." They ain't totin' no sixguns. wink

L.W.
very cool
Lucio

Most people don't realize that Texas was actually colonized before Georgia and had Spanish conquistadors running around two generations before the English ever dreamed of putting a Colony in Roanoke
I remember reading about those Florida cowboys in Range Magazine a few years ago. I remember it stated that that was where the term "cracker" originated from. Those cowboys cracking their whips.

So if anyone calls you a cracker, you can tell them what a real cracker is.
Note the hand made custom cell phone case on the right hip of the cowboy on the right. There is a lot of skill required in weaving such, or a hand fitted custom rawhide strip case for a folding knife.

i can knock one of them out in a hour or so..i grew up in south texas on a ranch and learned from a ol man named luis who lived and worked with us , he taught me all kinda good stuff and his wife fed me well while i was growning up.

ive worked horseback my whole 44 years i been alive and them florida boys is a different breed for sure. when we was young and only thought about leaving the ranch, me and a buddy loaded up and went to clewiston florida to work for the seminole indian tribe on their ranch. never could get used to all the water
Originally Posted by curdog4570

A cottonmouth ain’t in the same league with a rattlesnake in my opinion, and I’ve been bit by both.

A Neighbor of mine had a good cowhorse that was rattlesnake bit on two different occasions, both times in the jaw. His head swelled up some, just like a dog will, but there was no permanent damage.

Cows get snakebit all the time with not much I’ll effects and I don’t see why a horse would be much different. Their bodies are too far off the ground for a snake to hit and body bites are the worst kind for dogs.

Thanks Curdog4570 .
I really enjoyed that. Those vaqueros and their horses really know what they're doing. I love to watch a good horse work cattle. I had a little mare many years ago that had been a competition cutting horse. After I bought her, I roped some off of her, and used to help a neighbor in his cow catching business. I have been on some wild and wooly chases after cows. The old horse that I have now was used as a roping horse for many years, and probably still would be good.....but I'm not.

Anyway, thanks for posting that, it was pretty cool.
Most Texans dunno this! The colonial capital of Texas was in Louisiana for better than 40 years before it was moved to San Antonio after the French ceded Louisiana to Spain after the Treaty of Paris (Fountainbleu) in 1763

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Los_Adaes
Originally Posted by Kellywk
very cool
Lucio

Most people don't realize that Texas was actually colonized before Georgia and had Spanish conquistadors running around two generations before the English ever dreamed of putting a Colony in Roanoke

Yep. The southwest in general was.
Henri Joutel (The Sieur de Lasalle's secretary) wrote in his journal that when they met Jumano indians about 50 miles west of their fort on Garcitas creek they took them for Spaniards because of their dress and horse tack. The Jumanos were indigenous to the Pecos region of West Texas. And were on their was to an immense trade fair at what they called the Rancheria Grande campsite. this was about 1685-86
very cool
Lucio

All right. Good to hear that.
Originally Posted by Leanwolf

L.W.

Texans kill men with their bare hands. shocked
Originally Posted by ScrapIron

i can knock one of them out in a hour or so..i grew up in south texas on a ranch and learned from a ol man named luis who lived and worked with us , he taught me all kinda good stuff and his wife fed me well while i was growning up.

ive worked horseback my whole 44 years i been alive and them florida boys is a different breed for sure. when we was young and only thought about leaving the ranch, me and a buddy loaded up and went to clewiston florida to work for the seminole indian tribe on their ranch. never could get used to all the water

Unreal. I never woulda figured thst. Thanks for that.
If you want to meet the type of cowboy I grew up around, spend some time with Rio7 and Huntsman22.

And the if you want to meet the type of cowboy that you read about in books, go hang out with Kaywoodie. Every cowboy should sleep in a roughrider tent and play harmonica before turning in.

Another thing many do not know. The ancestors of those Vaqueros were the fellas who drove vast herds of cattle from the Spanish mission rancherias in south Texas all the way to Pensacola Florida to feed General Benardo Galvez's army that had laid siege to the British garrison there after Spain sided with the 13 colonies during our revolution! That was no small feat given the terrain!!!
Kaywoodie only likes me because of the fishin, long as it dont get more than 2 or 3 ft deep. smirk

He has a photographic memory near as i can figure, WCC.
Kaywoodie only likes me because of the fishin, long as it dont get more than 2 or 3 ft deep. smirk

He has a photographic memory near as i can figure.

Unfortunately, its out of film.

And water is ok. As long as it's ankle deep.
I keep tryin ta tell ya, drowning aint any worse than a heart attack. grin

Kw, i wish you would somrtime relate the story of Jim Bowie marrying the indian princess to find where they were getting the silver. They fought the indians off at the block house fort building on Cow Creek. Some of my family hunts there every year and i have stayed at the old ranch house nearby which has walls about 2 ft thick.
Very cool, indeed, never met him but my cousins grandfather was the longest living employee of Kings Ranch born there in 1925 and passed in 2010 I think it was. Super dumb of me never to go visit him.
I keep tryin ta tell ya, drowning aint any worse than a heart attack. grin

Kw, i wish you would somrtime relate the story of Jim Bowie marrying the indian princess to find where they were getting the silver. They fought the indians off at the block house fort building on Cow Creek. Some of my family hunts there every year and i have stayed at the old ranch house nearby which has walls about 2 ft thick.

Jim Bowie married an Indian princess???????

Was she from New Delhi or Bombay??? I bet she was a real Bangdalore!!
Ha. No. I thought you had told me the story. My bad.

Jim courted/married an Indian chiefs daughter near present day Llano-Mason in an attempt to find the location of their silver digs

Things went haywire when he stole some and he and his buds hauled tail. They holed up in the blockhouse on what is now my friends portion of the old Blockhouse ranch, which his family has owned for generations. Actually the owner is my brothers best bud.

After fighting the indians off there they made haste to San Antonio and in such time as to end up being some of the defenders of the Alamo against Santa Anna.
Well ok, if you say so!
I may have gotten the story from the owner of the ranch, handed down to him from ages ago.

Heres another take.

Sorry, getting old. Its Calf Creek, not cow creek as i previously reported.

http://www.texasescapes.com/CFEckhardt/Jim-Bowies-Fight-at-Calf-Creek.htm
If you drive from Austin to Llano on SH 71 you pass right by the site of the Almagres mine. Its on private property not too far from the Honey Creek Cemetery on the old Click Community road. Its just a few 100 yards off the road.

https://tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/dkl05
Originally Posted by Leanwolf

L.W.

Texans kill men with their bare hands. shocked

And use those same hands to bat away bullets.

Good video there.
Originally Posted by Strick9
Very cool, indeed, never met him but my cousins grandfather was the longest living employee of Kings Ranch born there in 1925 and passed in 2010 I think it was. Super dumb of me never to go visit him.

Darn. Sorry you didnt. Sorrier still i didnt buy a camera in high school and take pics of the inside of one of the old ranch houses i used to stay in on cattle working weekends on the old, several hundreds of thousands of acres of O'Brian Ranch.

I guess a hundred deer heads mounted on the wall of the great room. Most were small and of the grandkids first deer. Along with heads of famous old longhorns. Old ranch bedrooms had a small table by the bed and each had a lamp and original colt revolver ages old but in perfect working order.

20 or so small abodes that served as homes for the Vaqueros and their famiies. A small commissary. A morning breakfast/meeting hall for instruction to ranch hands as to plans for the day. Barns for tractors etc for farming to raise feed for the cattle in winter and barns for stud horses and another for top quality quarter horse mares in foal.
50, 000 acres for the kids and their friends to hunt and 50,000 for the girls and their friends to hunt.
Grownups hunted other areas.
Yeah. Unreal. And my best bud Bill, OBrians grandson, ended up dying after a tractor rolled on him when i was away at college.

Only place i ever saw flocks of wild off-white turkeys.
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Great videos.

But my religion don't permit me to eat parts of an animal what ain't dead yet eek

Wuss, I know....

My very first “ job “ - I was about four years old - was on the Triangle Ranch in Wichita County where I was born. The Foreman had a Grandson about my age and our job consisted off carrying the “ calf fries “ from the working pens to a secluded spot behind the saddle shed where they were cooked. There were womenfolk present at the pens preparing lunch for everybody and the eating of testicles was not mentioned or ( supposedly ) observed by them.

Louie and I were each given a flour sack and one of us was at the branding fire so the goodies could be placed in our sack. When the sack had the correct amount, that kid would run up to the cooking place where a big kettle of lard was over a cooking fire. The cook probably washed the fries off before putting them in the grease but I don’t recall it happening.

Once the assembly line was operational, we were hauling raw fries to the cooking fire and cooked fries back to the branding fire where we dumped them in a big lard bucket.

And all the womenfolk pretended not to know what was taking place.😀
© 24hourcampfire