Home
RE their attempt at punishing Vista Outdoors. I was going to cancel my membership, but then realized that their Board of Directors election is happening now. There are no good candidates, but I learned that we can vote “withhold” for each candidate. They have to get more “for” votes than “withholds” to be elected. Maybe this is the one way to send them a message.
That is an outstanding idea, if only to let them know that many of their members are more than just fashion driven anti-gun types.
Thanks for the heads-up on that one.....
What is "Facebook"?
What is REI?
I must live under a rock, I have no clue what this thread is about.
Ditto
If REI is taking on Vista... That are a bit outgunned.

Vista could buy and sell them with the change in their pockets.

Originally Posted by jnyork
I must live under a rock, I have no clue what this thread is about.

https://www.gq.com/story/rei-joins-nra-boycott
OK, seriously,
What is REI or Vista?
Why would a guy want/need a membership?
Why would we care?
Originally Posted by bobinpa
OK, seriously,
What is REI or Vista?
Why would we care?

Vista owns multiple outdoor related companies, including Savage Arms, Bushnell, Federal ammo, etc.

REI is boycotting everything from Vista until Savage stops making semiauto rifles. So.. all outdoorsmen are boycotting REI. We'll see who gets hurt the most.
Those few here who are on FB and/or have REI cards can perform valuable service for the rest of us. I could never make it to the front door after reading all the climate change related bumper stickers, I'm with her, coexist, rainbows, BLM, and the like. So get in there and make your point.
Looks like a great place to buy a pair of hemp sandals............

I DID stop at Academy Sports in Tupelo MS the other night. Mostly to look at the golf section. I went to the gun counter, just out of curiosity, and was surprised to see several AR 15's, and even a few AR 10's. Not only did they have a decent selection of "Modern Sporting Rfles", but they even had a halfway knowledgeable guy behind the counter.

I didn't think Academy was carrying AR's anymore. Has anyone here heard of a policy change? I'd not mind buying a set of golf clubs from an outfit that actually supports our second amendment rights and isn't ashamed to have an NRA member as a customer.
Who is REI?
Here is a link for sending an email to the REI board of directors.......

[email protected]

REI is owned by the customers. I have been one of those customers, and have the opportunity of becoming one of those owners by joining thier membership (small fee, and does give discounts on merchandise) I have bought several simple hammocks from them, and keep a couple in my truck, and my hunting pack.
They do not sell anything gun related that I am aware of, but a lot of outdoor gear. Good place to shop for camping gear. (That is thier appeal).
Recreational Equipment, Inc (REI) is a co-op with 17 million members. Twenty five years ago and more REI was a great place to get outdoor gear, but nowadays they're more of a high priced outdoor fashion clothing outlet for yuppies. Their boycott won't hurt Vista as much as it will push REI further into irrelevance. Apart from REI branded merchandise they sell nothing that can't be purchased online for a lower price.

If you have to ask.....

The majority of REI members are very unlike 24 members. The board will be seated easily.
Have not been thru an REI doorway in 25 years or more. F'kng Yuppies....and overpriced merchandise.

REI is more about neon colored bragging-rights equipment for campers and climbers than much of anything useful to hunters or shooters.

I always figured that neon crap was so they could find camp (or each other) again, on a clear, bright day.
I’m going to email their azz
Which isn't to say I haven't spent way too much time looking for camp myself. Mostly, I found it again the same day/night. Mostly... smile
Originally Posted by Calhoun
OK, seriously,
What is REI or Vista?
Why would we care?

Vista owns multiple outdoor related companies, including Savage Arms, Bushnell, Federal ammo, etc.

REI is boycotting everything from Vista until Savage stops making semiauto rifles. So.. all outdoorsmen are boycotting REI. We'll see who gets hurt the most.

Thanks, now it makes some sense.... Went to their website and I now I understand why I didn't know anything about them before. Definitely not into Yoga or anything that resembles it.....looks like a yuppified version of Dunhams. However, I do support hammering them in their battle with Vista.
Certainly isn't very good for my Vista stock.
Vista just needs to man up and not sell their product to REI. It's just about clubbing the Right to death with these boycotts. I was a member of REI for one year about 25 years ago and they had a commie, hippie political vibe back then. Keep in mind their CEO was Sally Jewell, who was also a big player in the "outdoor industry association" threats to leave Utah because Utah supports mineral development in the desert, which REI wants to close off to all except REI type customers.

So, come on Vista, refuse to sell..
Originally Posted by Borchardt
What is "Facebook"?

Originally Posted by gregintenn
What is REI?

Did you two loose your flip phones again..
Originally Posted by Dave_Skinner
Vista just needs to man up and not sell their product to REI. It's just about clubbing the Right to death with these boycotts. I was a member of REI for one year about 25 years ago and they had a commie, hippie political vibe back then. Keep in mind their CEO was Sally Jewell, who was also a big player in the "outdoor industry association" threats to leave Utah because Utah supports mineral development in the desert, which REI wants to close off to all except REI type customers.

So, come on Vista, refuse to sell..

LOL!

Agreed.
Just emailed REI. I've been a member for many years. When I joined, I was in high school and all REI sold was climbing equipment. That was long ago. REI has changed a lot and not for the better.
I had bought a LED lantern from them several years ago and really liked it but the last time I attempted to use it I found that it wasn’t working. Normally after 5 or 6 years of using something I’d throw it away and go buy another one but it broke just as REI was making their political stand as it relates to Vista so I decided to return it. They took it back and refunded my money. If only their politics were as good as their return policy....
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

With all that 'money' , heres Vistas big chance to open their own line of stores.

Originally Posted by Starman

With all that 'money' , heres Vistas big chance to open their own line of stores.

Most manufacturers don't get into retail in that way.

I sure wouldn't get into ANY brick and mortar retail stores with anything with online buying being what it is. The handwriting is on the wall.
Originally Posted by riverdog
Maybe this is the one way to send them a message.

Or, don’t spend your $$ there.
Originally Posted by kingston
What is "Facebook"?

What is REI?

Surely they know who Amazon is?
OK, seriously,
What is REI or Vista?
Why would we care?

Savage makes semi-auto rifles? They are picking on a tiny Assachussetts company like Savage?

Most manufacturers don't get into retail in that way.

I sure wouldn't get into ANY brick and mortar retail stores with anything with online buying being what it is. The handwriting is on the wall.

That’s very true but some things are inherently more tactile in nature and REI is one type of business that I see going longer than other brick and mortar stores. Climbers that need a carabiner or some rather specialized piece of equipment and can’t wait for it come to mind. Ultimately you’re right though because shipping in the future will be measured in hours or minutes rather than days.

I sure wouldn't get into ANY brick and mortar retail stores with anything with online buying being what it is.

People still like to see products in the flesh before buying (just ask Apple) , Vista can have both some bricks/mortar
and an online Vista shop..... not especially hard 'with all that money' of theirs that you were bragging about.

and maybe they should get more of their 'name brand' products made in USA rather than CHINA.
Camelbak and Bell helmets for starters.

I sure wouldn't get into ANY brick and mortar retail stores with anything with online buying being what it is.

People still like to see products in the flesh before buying (just ask Apple) , Vista can have both some bricks/mortar
and an online Vista shop..... not especially hard 'with all that money' of theirs that you were bragging about.

That's funny.

I wasn't bragging about their money. I was merely stating a fact.

Here's what they own:

Outdoor products/Shooting products

Bee Stinger
Bell Sports
Blackburn
Bollé
Bushnell
CamelBak
Camp Chef
Cébé
Final Approach
Giro
Gold Tip
Jimmy Styks
Krash
Millett
Night Optics
Primos Hunting
Raskullz
Serengeti Eyewear
Simmons Optics
Tasco
Weaver Optics
Alliant Powder
American Eagle
Blackhawk!
Blazer Ammunition
Butler Creek
CCI
Champion
Eagle Industries
Estate Cartridge
Federal Premium
Force on Force
Gunmate
Gunslick Pro
Hoppe's 9
Independence Ammo
M-Pro 7
Outers
RCBS
Redfield
Savage Arms
Speer Ammo
Speer Bullets
Stevens Arms
Uncle Mike's

That's not including their VERY extensive military contracts for ammo, ordinance, and weapons systems.

If I DID own them, I may brag a bit about it.
Well as i said.... they can open some store fronts and an online 'Vista' store.

That's not including their VERY extensive military contracts for ammo, ordinance, and weapons systems.

LOL....so REI is going to stop stocking all that stuff?...

Try and Keep it relevant and try to stop bragging for fck sake.

already voted for the REI board. Also sent them a snail mail letter letting them know how pizzed I am at their stupid political posturing.
Well as i said.... they can open some store fronts and an online 'Vista' store.

LOL....so REI is going to stop stocking all that stuff?...

Try and Keep it relevant and try to stop bragging for fck sake.

Try and quit being a little [bleep], and let the grownups talk.
Funny trivia on REI.

They built their eastern warehouse here.
They have no stores within 100 miles,
not enough people, and too poor to buy their crap.

They came here telling about all the family sustaining jobs they would provide.
Most of their employees are temps, and they have a habit of shorting their full timers hours,
and keeping the Temps on the job.
All the valiant people on the Campfire straightening out the bad dudes at REI while they wear their latest Patagonia coats and continue to support all the other anti gun, anti hunting commercial enterprises. The irony is thick enough to mine it.
Dillon buck: the other interesting thing is that there is a social media movement to expose REI’s unfair labor practices...employees are threatening to unionize fer chrissakes against the corporate money grabbers. REI is getting it not only from the gun people but also from the left!
Originally Posted by watch4bear
Originally Posted by kingston
What is "Facebook"?

What is REI?

Surely they know who Amazon is?

[Linked Image]

The one on the right, right?
Well I'm out.

This is me....

How do I go about cancelling my membership?

I have LOVED shopping at REI for more than 25 years.

However the recent decision by REI to stop carrying all brands provided by Vista Outdoors simply because that company has not condemned the NRA means I cannot in good faith step into any REI store or do business their for the foreseeable future.

The decision by REI to take this gross overreach against anyone who may have a dissenting opinion is absolutely nauseating.

And this is Karen....

Hello Mike,

Thanks for emailing the co-op, and your feedback regarding Vista Outdoor.

Please read REI's statement on our newsroom at https://newsroom.rei.com/company-in...t-on-relationship-with-vista-outdoor.htm

We have discontinued your membership per your request.

Best,

Karen
REI Membership Services

A pity, there ain't any other equivalent stores for the really good outdoor stuff down here.

Birdwatcher
Mike, here's the linked message:

REI statement on relationship with Vista Outdoor

REI does not sell guns. We believe that it is the job of companies that manufacture and sell guns and ammunition to work towards common sense solutions that prevent the type of violence that happened in Florida last month. In the last few days, we’ve seen such action from companies like Dick’s Sporting Goods and Walmart and we applaud their leadership.

This week, we have been in active discussions with Vista Outdoor, which has recently acquired several companies that are longtime partners of REI. These include Giro, Bell, Camelbak, Camp Chef and Blackburn. Vista also owns Savage Arms, which manufactures guns including “modern sporting rifles.”

This morning we learned that Vista does not plan to make a public statement that outlines a clear plan of action. As a result, we have decided to place a hold on future orders of products that Vista sells through REI while we assess how Vista proceeds.

Companies are showing they can contribute if they are willing to lead. We encourage Vista to do just that.

Sounds like they tried to strong-arm Vista. Given that they don't sell guns, I doubt they did anything but hurt themselves.
I'm guessing REI's leadership isn't real good at math. They're threatening to stop selling Vista's $60 camelback back pack unless Vista stops selling $1,000 savages as well as Speer, Federal, CCI and Blazer ammo. D&B shows that for Cambelbak's last year as a standalone company it did $23 Million in revenue while Savage and the ammunition companies did over $200 million
Liberals work strictly on emotion, they are too fugging stupid to work all the way through something.

Fugg the Subaru driving REI f a gs. Another curse from the left coast.
REI has always been a great company for me to deal with in the past. They don't sell hunting gear, but are the best place I've found for outdoor gear. I hunt outdoors, and as long as I don't need camo gear they sell top notch stuff at prices comparable to anyone else. As a member I get a 10% dividend at the end of the year on my purchases which makes the prices more than competitive. Plus I get coupons several times each year for up to 25% off. I've always found knowledgeable people (much more so than Cabelas or most other hunting related stores) when questions needed to be asked, and they've never had an issue when I made it clear the items I were purchasing were for hunting.

I don't agree with their current position, but I'm not prepared to give up my membership just yet. I've already let them know how I feel and will wait and see how this works out. I think they will alter their position once the dust settles.
What is REI?

Yuppie whore house.....gear for star bucks drinkers...
Originally Posted by JMR40
REI has always been a great company for me to deal with in the past. They don't sell hunting gear, but are the best place I've found for outdoor gear. I hunt outdoors, and as long as I don't need camo gear they sell top notch stuff at prices comparable to anyone else. As a member I get a 10% dividend at the end of the year on my purchases which makes the prices more than competitive. Plus I get coupons several times each year for up to 25% off. I've always found knowledgeable people (much more so than Cabelas or most other hunting related stores) when questions needed to be asked, and they've never had an issue when I made it clear the items I were purchasing were for hunting.

I don't agree with their current position, but I'm not prepared to give up my membership just yet. I've already let them know how I feel and will wait and see how this works out. I think they will alter their position once the dust settles.

Did you get my PM on the question you asked?
OK, seriously,
What is REI or Vista?
Why would we care?

Savage makes semi autos?

I thought that they used to make wonderful 99's and currently made an atrocious bolt rifle.
I actually held a Savage Semi a couple weeks ago. Seemed pretty well done.

I have an idea that if Vista very publicly told the Hemp Slipper Outlet to cram it up their cramhole they would sell a few atrocious bolt actions and AR's on that alone.

Not that CEO's that answer to shareholders are allowed to demonstrate that level of candor or cajones these days...........
JMR, if you want to be an eco-Fudd, that's your right. But you're wrong.
© 24hourcampfire