Home
Posted By: luv2safari FISHING? - 04/02/18
"Are you kidding?!?"
[Linked Image]

That was the answer I got from Rocky Friday when I tried to get him in the truck to come with Owen and me to Pyramid Lake. He's a hunting dog and wants nothing to do with those slime-monsters.

Who all here have started fishing as a time killer until bird/deer season?

What do you fish for, how, and where?

We didn't get any of the big cutthroats this trip, but Owen managed a 22" throw back that gave a good tug on the line.

[Linked Image]

Posted By: P_Weed Re: FISHING? - 04/02/18
Fishing is everything.
Dogs are good too.
Posted By: kellory Re: FISHING? - 04/02/18
we were just discussing fishing and the need for a new license, tonight. I need to repair my boat trailer pretty soon.

(fishing is what hunters do, in the off season.)
Posted By: Big Stick Re: FISHING? - 04/02/18
I prefer Catching...so I do.

A couple frames,from the day before yesterday. Nothing this year yet,under 28". Canon G-12 and pardon the skeelz.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Yesterday was fair to middlin',today was a slower roll and because I was schleppin' the chainsaw all day,my Wingman was gunning the frames. Bokeh Bitch Season...gunning a 1D3 WFO @ 50mm F/1.2 today and there wasn't much time to [bleep]. A slight weather turn is forecast and light levels should wane,which'll make it easy to drag shutters and gun some fluidity. Tossed an Intervalometer in the pack,RC2 plates stay affixed and I'll tether a tripod to the works. Should prolly throw in a flash unit or two and bang some High Key frames,if only for giggles. 1D4 and Artsy Fartsy Siggy 35mm F/1.2 go in the bag,prior to daybreak in the morn'.

I prolly ain't kidding. Hint.

Hardest part is deciding which rifle to tote,for posterity.(grin)

Am thinkin' the Vudoo is "lucky".

Laughing!...................
Posted By: 340boy Re: FISHING? - 04/02/18
L2S,
Looks like fun and Owen looks happy. 😎

Stick,

beautiful photos.
Posted By: NVhntr Re: FISHING? - 04/02/18
That's a nice fish Owen caught. Does Pyramid Lake have a slot limit. The bass have been hitting at Mead; time to get the boat prepped.
Posted By: NVhntr Re: FISHING? - 04/02/18
Beautiful fish pics Stick. I could even understand your post without an interpreter. Are you OK?
Posted By: ltppowell Re: FISHING? - 04/02/18
Most people say I fish too much.
Posted By: CrimsonTide Re: FISHING? - 04/02/18
Originally Posted by ltppowell

Most people don't fish enough.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: FISHING? - 04/02/18

Originally Posted by CrimsonTide

That and stupid.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: FISHING? - 04/02/18
I'll start fishin' here in a few weeks. Catfish, Bluegill, Bass, Pike, whatever will bite.

I caught a 4lb bass on a panfish popper in a road ditch this morning. You'd have though I was six years old.
Posted By: jaguartx Re: FISHING? - 04/02/18
I know trout arent as good to eat as small bass, crappie, catfish or speckled trout, but that was big enough to stink the grease. I would have let it swim in a skillett.

I caught a 4lb bass on a panfish popper in a road ditch this morning. You'd have though I was six years old.

That sounds like fun.i used to catch the occasional Rainbow or Brown around here with a Hula Popper. Good times.
Originally Posted by jaguartx
I know trout arent as good to eat as small bass, crappie, catfish or speckled trout, but that was big enough to stink the grease. I would have let it swim in a skillett.

I'm not a fish lover, but every spring we look forward to a couple of big crappie fries. Last I caught 25 slabs on T-Bend. They're in the camp freezer for turkey season.
Posted By: Salmonella Re: FISHING? - 04/02/18
I like fishies too..
My kid and I have caught a few along the way...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: JGRaider Re: FISHING? - 04/02/18
Just got back a few days ago from fishing's promised land.....Toledo Bend. Lots of crappie and bass.

[Linked Image]
Hula Popper? How old are you? Lol

Haha! I had a couple I inherited from my grandpa, along with a Jitterbug or two. I used to collect lures more than I actually fished-or so I've been told.
Originally Posted by 340boy

Haha! I had a couple I inherited from my grandpa, along with a Jitterbug or two. I used to collect lures more than I actually fished-or so I've been told.

Well...I'm old enough to remember when Hula Poppers were hi-tech and plastic worms hadn't been invented. smile
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Just got back a few days ago from fishing's promised land.....Toledo Bend. Lots of crappie and bass.

[Linked Image]

You need to let me know when you're gonna do that.
Originally Posted by 340boy

Well...I'm old enough to remember when Hula Poppers were hi-tech and plastic worms hadn't been invented. smile

You might be older than me, Pat...but not by much.
I think I'm gonna hop on eBay and try to pick up a couple of Hula Poppers-for old times sake.
Posted By: Judman Re: FISHING? - 04/02/18

[Linked Image]

That's fishin Johnny, nice work.

I'm not a fish lover, but every spring we look forward to a couple of big crappie fries. Last I caught 25 slabs on T-Bend. They're in the camp freezer for turkey season.

You wanna come turkey hunting out here? smile
Posted By: luv2safari Re: FISHING? - 04/02/18
Originally Posted by NVhntr
That's a nice fish Owen caught. Does Pyramid Lake have a slot limit. The bass have been hitting at Mead; time to get the boat prepped.

Yep

The slot is: keep 17"-20", throw back over 20 to 24, keep over 24.

You can keep two fish, two of the lesser length, or one lesser and one over 24. 20-24 are caught at the mouth of the Truckee River and milked for the hatchery, then put back.

[Linked Image]

You need to let me know when you're gonna do that.

Yeah, for sure. Me too. Thanks JG.

How deep were the crappie and did you get them on minnows or jig rigs?
Originally Posted by Big Stick
I prefer Catching...so I do.

A couple frames,from the day before yesterday. Nothing this year yet,under 28". Canon G-12 and pardon the skeelz.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Yesterday was fair to middlin',today was a slower roll and because I was schleppin' the chainsaw all day,my Wingman was gunning the frames. Bokeh Bitch Season...gunning a 1D3 WFO @ 50mm F/1.2 today and there wasn't much time to [bleep]. A slight weather turn is forecast and light levels should wane,which'll make it easy to drag shutters and gun some fluidity. Tossed an Intervalometer in the pack,RC2 plates stay affixed and I'll tether a tripod to the works. Should prolly throw in a flash unit or two and bang some High Key frames,if only for giggles. 1D4 and Artsy Fartsy Siggy 35mm F/1.2 go in the bag,prior to daybreak in the morn'.

I prolly ain't kidding. Hint.

Hardest part is deciding which rifle to tote,for posterity.(grin)

Am thinkin' the Vudoo is "lucky".

Laughing!...................

They sure light up!

Beautiful fish!

That would make most of us act like fools, for sure. crazy

cool

I'm starting an Easter Dinner thread. Have a look in a few minutes and try telling me trout aren't as good. They're different. H@ll I like them all on a plate.
laugh

I resemble your remark, and I still have one around somewhere, next to my mint Pumpkinseed and Zara Spook.

Dang! I Am old... frown
Posted By: WL205 Re: FISHING? - 04/02/18
Landed this AJ a few weeks ago. Naturally season is closed so he continues to swim the deep blue.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: AKtrapper26 Re: FISHING? - 04/02/18
No open water yet anywhere near me with fish in it...but the view is nice enough to make fishing under the ice still worth the trip. None of that fancy ice fishing gear for me though... smile

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Calvin Re: FISHING? - 04/02/18
I like to fish too.
Originally Posted by luv2safari

I resemble your remark, and I still have one around somewhere, next to my mint Pumpkinseed and Zara Spook.

Dang! I Am old... frown

Nah, i gots a Genuine Guinea Feather tandem spinner and a Shannon Twin Spin around - somewhere. Oh, almost forgot my Hawaiian Wiggler by Fred Arbogast. wink

Dang! I Am old... frown

Nah, i gots a Genuine Gennea Feather spinner and a Shannon Twin Spin around - somewhere. Oh, almost forgot my Hawaiian Wiggler by Fred Arbogast. wink

I had a Hawaiian Wiggler as a kid and never had a bite off it.

How about a Gibbs Stewart? They were 40's and 50's tech. I caught a 20 lb+ cutthroat off the only one I had and lost it to a bigger fish a week later.

I'm amazed we caught anything without all the new electronics and hi-tech equipment. But, then again, we shot deer through Weaver scopes and old '06s. We were just luckier back then and had success in spite of our handicaps. wink
Posted By: dingo Re: FISHING? - 04/02/18
Originally Posted by Calvin
I like to fish too.

Me too !

Here's a couple of Mulloway (Argyrosomus japonicus) I've caught over the last few years. Between 40lb and 50lb a piece.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Posted By: JDK Re: FISHING? - 04/02/18
Nice fishes.

We have 3 feet of ice on our lakes and the season closed the 31st. The state's ultimate April Fool's joke is that open water season opens the 1st. We won't have open water until May.

Dang! I Am old... frown

I have several hula poppers. They still work. wink

(It is said, that "a man with a boat, need never buy fishing lures" , and there is some truth to that. I often find lures caught in limbs and logs, and rocks. Caught a whole pole and reel with the fish still on it, a few years ago.
Crappie on T-Bend are in about 6', on hydrilla. I caught the last week on blue/white and pumpkinseed/chartreuse tubes and roadrunners. Females still have eggs. Bass are up in the flooded timber.
Posted By: nemotheangler Re: FISHING? - 04/02/18
[Linked Image]

My youngest boy. You know the little bass spot up Six Mile Canyon and the way to Virginia City, Safari? The old pit mine filled with water? That's there.

[Linked Image]

One I dredged from the depths at Pyramid.

[Linked Image]

A few rainbows a long time ago from Adams McGill Reservoir down south of Ely.

I could do this all day, and if I didn't have to go to work I would.
Posted By: Hogwild7 Re: FISHING? - 04/02/18
I'm going Crappie fishing tomorrow. It'll be the first time fishing this year.
We hit a crappie hole at Indian Lake one time, about the size of a bathtub. They would hit ANYTHING we dropped in the water, even bare hooks and chewing gum, but not cut up crappie. We had to leave when we ran out of bait. I remember at least 2 fish traps full and 3 stringers.
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: FISHING? - 04/02/18

Deb says I do
Still in the 30’s here but boat comes home this week
Originally Posted by nemotheangler
[Linked Image]

My youngest boy. You know the little bass spot up Six Mile Canyon and the way to Virginia City, Safari? The old pit mine filled with water? That's there.

[Linked Image]

One I dredged from the depths at Pyramid.

[Linked Image]

A few rainbows a long time ago from Adams McGill Reservoir down south of Ely.

I could do this all day, and if I didn't have to go to work I would.

I LOVE that top picture! You can't buy those smiles anywhere. laugh
Posted By: 458 Lott Re: FISHING? - 04/02/18
Looking forward to fishing with the kids this summer

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: T_O_M Re: FISHING? - 04/02/18
I like to fish almost as much as I like to hunt and I can generally do it a lot more of the year in nicer weather.

I grew up around a fishing lodge and paid for most of college guiding fly fishermen fishing for the half pounder (juvenile) steelhead on the lower Rogue. I also guided some for winter steelhead and spring chinook though those were less reliable. I burned out on fishing and focused on hunting and varmint shooting for quite a while. The little big of fishing I did in those years was mostly quite different than what I'd done guiding. I have a decently large, shallow lake near where i live now so I did some largemouth fishing with topwater stuff .. fishing from the shore, no boat. I also did some fishing for shad on the Umpqua and even targeted trash fish in the eddies along the Rogue .. catch and release ... release up the bank into the bushes for the 'coons to eat.

I'm back into fishing more but I still don't do much that I did back in college and years closely following.

My favorite fishing now is for trout in the southern Oregon Cascades. Long ago brook trout were introduced. F&W folks have decided that was a bad idea because they out-compete the native species. There's no limit on number or size in many locations. I will generally explore creeks or off-trail lakes first with a ultralight spin outfit ... 4-1/2 to 5-1/2 feet preferably, the lightest open face spin reel I can find, 4 pound maxima, and a selection of size 1 and size 2 panther martins. If I find an area where there's room enough to cast a bit, then I'll go back with light fly gear .. that's 000 to 2 weight .. and dry flies on 1 and 2 pound leader.

I still have my heavier tackle and it'll get used again someday ... someday.

One intriguing thing is my new GF's house 40 yards from the river's edge and from her deck, I've been scoping out the little "run" right in front. I think it will fish in a very serious way. smile Those half pounders may be in trouble again ....

Tom
Posted By: JGRaider Re: FISHING? - 04/02/18
Crappie on T-Bend are in about 6', on hydrilla. I caught the last week on blue/white and pumpkinseed/chartreuse tubes and roadrunners. Females still have eggs. Bass are up in the flooded timber.

And we caught the majority of ours in 3-5ft of water off of cypress trees. If you can find a bunch of trees at that water depth, within 20ft of the bank, it's money.
Posted By: Magnumdood Re: FISHING? - 04/04/18

[Linked Image]

I practically grew up on Toledo Bend. My dad found an old logging road that led down a narrow peninsula that ended in a cleared area. The first time we went there on his summer vacation days I was 10. I never missed when he started packing the tent and getting his boat ready. We had to bring whatever we needed to eat and drink...there was a marina a ways off where we fueled up the boat, and we could get semi-fresh water there for cooking and boiling the dishes in. Trotline went out on day 1 and the crappie light was hung out among all the dead tree trunks. Fishing there was always good to great. I have nothing but great memories about Toledo Bend.
Posted By: FishinHank Re: FISHING? - 04/04/18
Well, I am FishinHank........
Posted By: DMc Re: FISHING? - 04/04/18
[Linked Image]

Fishing can be hard work!!!!

[Linked Image]

DMc
Posted By: Hogwild7 Re: FISHING? - 04/04/18
The bite was slow yesterday but managed to catch enough for supper. Fresh crappie fillets make a fine supper.
Posted By: Salmonella Re: FISHING? - 04/05/18
The Kid's been out wrestling with river monsters again....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: nemotheangler Re: FISHING? - 04/06/18
I like catching bass...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Nice Topaz Cutty...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: OrangeOkie Re: FISHING? - 04/06/18
Originally Posted by Hogwild7
The bite was slow yesterday but managed to catch enough for supper. Fresh crappie fillets make a fine supper.

Crappie is my favorite
Posted By: Bull64 Re: FISHING? - 04/06/18
How I miss the Truckee River.Never ventured to Pyramid, but made many memories between Tahoe and Reno on the Truckee.Good luck with the Lahonton cutts
Posted By: bruinruin Re: FISHING? - 04/06/18
I decided that I hadn't spread myself thin enough, so added the pursuit of steelhead to my life this "spring", (12" inches of snow this week, sub-freezing temps and 40+ gusts today, hence the quotes around spring). We chased after them at the Cheboygan river last week, but had no luck. I've been itching to get back out, but the weather has tanked, so I'm just going to have to wait a bit.
Posted By: nemotheangler Re: FISHING? - 04/07/18
Originally Posted by Bull64
How I miss the Truckee River.Never ventured to Pyramid, but made many memories between Tahoe and Reno on the Truckee.Good luck with the Lahonton cutts

I've caught more fish than I remember on both forks of the Carson, both forks of the Walker, Prosser creek, Little Truckee, etc. Every time I go to the Truckee, I get my ass handed to me. It's become a running joke. I've caught a few here and there, but the balance of success to effort is way out of wack for me on that river. I have a ball trying, though!!!
[Linked Image]

One of my favorite little brooky spots...

That also is stocked with tiger trout. Super aggressive and a blast to catch.

[Linked Image]
All kids like catching cat fish...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: jaguartx Re: FISHING? - 04/07/18
The H Wiggler was great for bass in the thick stuff and on creeks. Maybe they werent lure shy however.
Posted By: nemotheangler Re: FISHING? - 04/08/18
Same son that has the catfish above with his first fish...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: FISHING? - 04/08/18

The first Bass I can remember catching was on T Bend. It was on some Rebel lure with propellers at both ends. Topwater.

I've never caught anything that I remember on a damned Hawaiian Wiggler...nor a Lazy Ike. I've caught a lot of fish on Hula Poppers, Jitterbugs, Mepps Minnows and Shysters.

Everytime you're in east Texas the locals will tell you they're either catchin' 'em on Roadrunners or Purple Worms. Always. I've caught a lot of fish on purple worms but never caught anything on a Roadrunner.

Caught a lot of basses on Bombers too. LeRoy Jordon used to be the spokesman for Bomber lures. Simpler times.
Posted By: watch4bear Re: FISHING? - 04/08/18
[Linked Image]
Posted By: DMc Re: FISHING? - 04/08/18
Hahaha!

True!

DMC
Posted By: jaguartx Re: FISHING? - 04/08/18
Like this. It looks big but was only about 8

[Linked Image]
Posted By: MadMooner Re: FISHING? - 04/08/18
Great pics fellas!

I miss catching crappie and big bluegill down south. Easily my favorite fresh water fish to eat and just a ton of fun to fish for. There is apparently some good smallmouth fishing out here I need to get into.
Posted By: Blackheart Re: FISHING? - 04/08/18
I caught my limit of trout last Sunday, which was opening day of the season here. I live within a short distance of some of the most well known blue ribbon trout streams in the Country so it's what you do this time of year.
Posted By: jaguartx Re: FISHING? - 04/08/18
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]free image uploading
Posted By: DMc Re: FISHING? - 04/08/18
Originally Posted by Blackheart
I caught my limit of trout last Sunday, which was opening day of the season here. I live within a short distance of some of the most well known blue ribbon trout streams in the Country so it's what you do this time of year.

Where would that be? Maybe some of us have fished by your house?

DMc
Posted By: Blackheart Re: FISHING? - 04/08/18
Originally Posted by DMc
Originally Posted by Blackheart

Where would that be? Maybe some of us have fished by your house?

DMc
I'm only a few miles from the Delaware river, the Beaverkill and Willowemoc creek in Delaware County NY..
Posted By: benchman Re: FISHING? - 04/08/18
My grandfather was a commercial fisherman, and I grew up enjoying that business on Lake Erie, as only a young boy can. None of the trouble, all of the fun. We also owned what is now called Steelhead Alley, on Walnut Creek, in Fairview, Pa. Of all the things I passed on to my sons, fishing, is the one that I think is best. They both hunt a lot, too. At 41 and 39, they have passed it on. Fishing, can really make some good people.
Posted By: 358Norma_fan Re: FISHING? - 04/08/18
I might have touched a rod once or twice.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I'm to the point though that I enjoy helping others catch fish just as much or more as I do catching them myself.
Posted By: davet Re: FISHING? - 04/10/19
I caught 50 crappie this week. Weather wasn't cooperating this morning though.
Posted By: AcesNeights Re: FISHING? - 04/10/19
Great pictures guys. 👍

Anyone that says someone fishes too much is either dumb or jealous....maybe both. I used to resemble that remark but the last couple of years I have been inundated with taking care of aging family members and haven’t done hardly any fishing, I’ve been going through withdrawals and have had to be satisfied with crabbing and razor clamming which is delicious but doesn’t provide the same thrill. I’ll have to live vicariously through you guys for now. If I had to choose between fishing and hunting I’d choose fishing as that’s where my true passion lies, saltwater fishing anyway. 👍

Those sturgeon are a blast to catch and put up an amazing fight. Watching a 12 foot prehistoric monster clear the water completely when it realizes it’s hooked is as much fun as you can have with your clothes on. We have slot limits on sturgeon here so catching and releasing over a dozen fish in the 8’-12’ range to get a single keeper is the norm. One of my favorite fish to catch not to mention they make damn fine eating as well.

A buddy of mine and I went down to the Columbia to fish for shad to use for crab bait. I was standing on the rip rap casting the little shard dart and a Russian guy was standing about 12 feet away in ankle deep water when a 12+ foot sturgeon swam by 3 feet from the shore in maybe 3 feet of water. The Russian guy screamed like a little girl, dropped his rod and tried to run but tripped and did an epic face plant. I laughed so hard...a true gut busting belly laugh, the Russian didn’t know WTF it was that he saw and asked me in very broken English what that fish was. I told him it was a freshwater shark and that’s why I didn’t stand in the river to cast....fugging Russians. 😂

A little off topic but have any of you guys ever used sturgeon trimmings or part of the carcass for crab bait? I never have but was told by an old timer that using sturgeon as crab bait was a sure way to not catch any crabs. Sturgeon eat crab and according to him the crab won’t come close to pots with sturgeon as bait.
Posted By: EdM Re: FISHING? - 04/10/19
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: FISHING? - 04/10/19
So the bots are resurrecting old threads now...
Posted By: jaguartx Re: FISHING? - 04/10/19
Originally Posted by davet
I caught 50 crappie this week. Weather wasn't cooperating this morning though.

Where? Pics or it didnt happen. wink
Posted By: mtnsnake Re: FISHING? - 04/11/19
I love these kind of threads but I can not go fishing until June. I am having eye operations and doctor says not drive, do not bend over, or lift anything over 10lbs.
Awesome fish!
Posted By: shrapnel Re: FISHING? - 04/11/19

There is nothing like catching the same fish as your son, then 30 years later he shows you how to fish...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: EdM Re: FISHING? - 04/11/19
Last summer on the Fraser. One of eighteen in three days.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Big Stick Re: FISHING? - 04/11/19
Someone has to catch bait.

Hint...………………...
© 24hourcampfire