Home
Posted By: mtcurman Florida snakes, bugs, etc... - 04/04/18
Hey guys, a good friend of mine who currently lives in Havre MT is moving to Florida soon. While I think that is cool and everything, I am somewhat concerned about the poisonous snakes and bugs that lurk down there. Would some of you southern boys kindly share some pictures of said reptiles, insects, toothy fish and other vermin of annoyance or danger that he will inevitably encounter? This way he will know what to expect and can be better prepared.

Thanks!

Ben
Here's a video of one of the snakes;

Ed
Posted By: aalf Re: Florida snakes, bugs, etc... - 04/04/18

Bugs......

https://www.emedicinehealth.com/crabs/article_em.htm#what_are_crabs_pubic_lice
No pics, just a starter list (friend can google image)

Dangerous snakes and other reptiles:
eastern diamondback rattlesnakes
timber rattlesnakes
pygmy rattlesnakes
coral snakes
cottonmouths
copperheads
pythons (introduced)
American crocodiles
alligators
alligator snapping turtles

Spiders and other arachnids:
black widow
brown recluse
various ticks

Insects:
various wasps
various mosquitoes
deer flies/greenhead flies
chiggers
fleas
flying cockroaches (death by disgust)

At the beach:
jellyfish
Portuguese man-of-war
sharks in the surf
stingrays

And on the streets:
pimps
pervs
prostitutes
and panthers (aka Miami cougar)
[Linked Image]
My ex moved down there and sent me a photo of a pretty snake she netted out of the pool. Red and black, friend of Jack, red and yellow, kill a fellow. It was a Coral Snake. She let it go nearby.

Also have a childhood friend that lived down there...an electrician. He moved north for many reasons, but one of which was being underneath mobile homes and finding dangerous critters. He disliked the humanity more than the critters though...might just have been where he was located.
Nobody mentioned fire ants. Horrid little creatures.
Thank you for the timely replies gents, very helpful.

laugh

Ben
We got 8" of snow, 29 mph winds high 23 realfeel is 6 texted my brother a pic, he texted back 84 and sunny, sometimes I wonder!
Here's one from today's news:

http://www.fox13news.com/news/local...mily-faces-more-than-200000-medical-bill
Posted By: hanco Re: Florida snakes, bugs, etc... - 04/04/18
I had no idea it costs that much! Glad he survived.
Originally Posted by saddlering
We got 8" of snow, 29 mph winds high 23 realfeel is 6 texted my brother a pic, he texted back 84 and sunny, sometimes I wonder!

Sorry I don't have any snake pictures, but these are from my boat in Florida yesterday.
I'm sure the snow is pretty though. smile
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
the worst schit you hear about happens in florida.
[Linked Image]

Not sure but I think they have Cock A Roaches.
Thats not snow from a snow ball fight either.

I figure a person could only eat so many Cuban sandwiches before you got tired of them.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Florida snakes, bugs, etc... - 04/04/18
Originally Posted by mtcurman
Hey guys, a good friend of mine who currently lives in Havre MT is moving to Florida soon. While I think that is cool and everything, I am somewhat concerned about the poisonous snakes and bugs that lurk down there. Would some of you southern boys kindly share some pictures of said reptiles, insects, toothy fish and other vermin of annoyance or danger that he will inevitably encounter? This way he will know what to expect and can be better prepared.

Thanks!

Ben

Ben, snakes won't bite Travis out of professional courtesy....

never lived in MT or FL............but........

I'd pick MT long before FL.........
Born and raised here in S FL. If you don't look for snakes, you don't see snakes. Works for pretty much everything down here. Good luck to Flave, he's in for an incredible culture shock. Id stay in Harvre.

Craig
[Linked Image]
Scariest snake I ever seen was around Lincoln, MT in very early spring.

I was camping with Gruff.

Dave
Sure hope you change your mind Flave, never saw anything there worth while..
Don't forget chiggars.
Originally Posted by deflave

Dave

In the bar?
Posted By: Dons1 Re: Florida snakes, bugs, etc... - 04/04/18
Oh it ain't the critters, migrants or obnoxious Yankees down there that'll get to you. Even the torrid heat or wilting humidity It's what you can't see. The pollen, the molds/fungi, the invisible airborne flora and fauna that make life miserable for some of those moving to the sunshine state. Lived down there for 4 years stationed near Cocoa Beach and saw some new arrivals even move back out because of the allergies that they didn't know they had.
Heard Clarke was hoping to tag some bama blacksnakes down there.
Dave strikes me as the kind of guy that is afraid of lizards (I mean the small reptile kind, not lounge lizards). If so he ain't going to make it through a day.
Posted By: EdM Re: Florida snakes, bugs, etc... - 04/05/18
The man is on a mission. This is good.
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
[Linked Image]

Not sure but I think they have Cock A Roaches.

Definitely say hello to thousands of your new little friends...

Even the cleanest kitchen can have a bunch of these little bastards waiting to come out at night. There may be creatures in the world just as disgusting as these scurrying little critters peering out at you from behind the sugar bowl but I haven't found one that's more so.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by irfubar

Dave

In the bar?

No, the tent...
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
I'm sure the snow is pretty though. smile

[Linked Image]

It is pretty on the beach like that.
Posted By: add Re: Florida snakes, bugs, etc... - 04/05/18
South Florida is pretty rough. That's why everybody from NYC over the age of 62 lives there. Bwahahaha...

If Flave does not have one of those suits......I kinda think he does.....we should throw in and buy him one.
If Flave does not have one of those suits......I kinda think he does.....we should throw in and buy him one.

Agreed.
I'm guessing he has a winter and summer collection.

I will still throw in if he is short on proper neck ice. We all know decent bling ain't cheap.
(and don't be too proud to ask Flave....)

You gotta floss a serious chain down there to expect ANY respect.
Posted By: Jahrs Re: Florida snakes, bugs, etc... - 04/05/18
I lived in West Palm Beach for 14 years. All that was stated above is true plus add rats into the equation. I've seen some as big as a small dog.

If you live within 2 miles of the beach the heat in the summer can be tolerable though because of the ocean breeze, otherwise the humidity and mosquitos are brutal.

TAKE A SURVEY TRIP BEFORE MOVING
Originally Posted by ltppowell
South Florida is pretty rough. That's why everybody from NYC over the age of 62 lives there. Bwahahaha...

Selling all my guns. And knives.

Dave
Originally Posted by Jahrs

TAKE A SURVEY TRIP BEFORE MOVING

Pussy.

Dave
Originally Posted by SamOlson
I'm guessing he has a winter and summer collection.

I will still throw in if he is short on proper neck ice. We all know decent bling ain't cheap.
(and don't be too proud to ask Flave....)

You gotta floss a serious chain down there to expect ANY respect.

Two words:

Thievery.

Clark
Originally Posted by add

Boss.
Sam,

I always seen Gruff as my Tubbs. Because he always acts so black.

Dave
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Heard Clarke was hoping to tag some bama blacksnakes down there.

Gruff love him some COCK thoughts.

Clark
I have spent time in Havre, Montana as well as the Florida Everglades. In the summer, Havre's OK but from November to April, I'll take the Everglades every time. We have seen a few cotton mouths and a couple diamondbacks, several tons of alligators, and a half dozen crocodiles. In season, mosquitoes and other biting insects are about even. Ultimately, I like the Everglades and I like fishing the flats but I also like the four seasons so it's a tough call. GD
I will miss the four seasons.

I've come dangerously close to getting tagged by a rattler here more than once. And the mosquitoes here are second to none during peak season. The exception being maybe Alaska.
Honestly, there are probably more hillbilly/redneck types in Florida than Montana.

Should be an easy transition.
I will miss the four seasons.

I've come dangerously close to getting tagged by a rattler here more than once. And the mosquitoes here are second to none during peak season. The exception being maybe Alaska.

^^^^yep^^^

Prairie rattlers are pretty common.
The Keys is the only place I've been that the air was blackened by mosquitoes. You could swipe a path with your arm and it would immediately close back in in black, like liquid mosquitoes. Thats a lot of bugs.
I don't think they have hurricanes in Montana either.
Originally Posted by IndyCA35

Anybody that would sweat a hurricane is gay.
It isn't the snakes or bugs that will get him down here, it will be the drivers, many of them without insurance who hit and run and the two legged night crawlers. You don't go anywhere after dark as everyone is packing and your wallet will get gone in a hurry. The local news has crashes in the wall to wall tail gating traffic and murders and shootings every night. I go walking every day and have only seen one black racer and one smaller harmless snake and only one cottonmouth in three winters here. Very dry in central FL. this year and very few bugs. Can't wait to leave the end of the month.
Originally Posted by Windfall
You don't go anywhere after dark as everyone is packing and your wallet will get gone in a hurry.

That would be pretty foolish to try on 'Flave. He does have a Shockwave 5000 ya know. And he know's how to use it like that Borne guy that figures chit out on the chalk board!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwPA4YqsMPk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTrUJ_ZpN3U

grin
Ya not many homies are going to get the drop on flave.
Originally Posted by irfubar
Ya not many homies are going to get the drop on flave.

I'd take the guy that can consistently hit 85 yard gongs with a handgun over the guy that points his sideways when he shoots it.
Ben it can't be all that bad. Millions and millions of yankees have moved down. smile
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Ben it can't be all that bad. Millions and millions of yankees have moved down. smile

Plus look at all the old men and minorities that couldn't survive anywhere else.

Dave
zingers galore on this thread.

COCK
Hey guys, a good friend of mine who currently lives in Havre MT is moving to Florida soon.

This has got to be bogus.

Deflave don't have friends.
Originally Posted by smokepole

Deflave don't have friends.

Accurate statements have no place on the Hunter's Campfire.

Shame on you.

Thanks!

Ben

We've got some huge spiders.
Hawk',

You and I kinda be BFF? Rumor is Mannlicher took me off ignore. I think he's warming up.

Snork!
What part of Florida do you plan to move?
The fishing is great, the hunting can be good, deer, hogs, turkey, gators, small game.
Snakes, bugs? Blah, blah, every where has bugs
The worst part of Florida is the northeast yankees!!
Southeast is worst.
We have high temps and humidity in summer
We are gun friendly
Come on down
Originally Posted by IndyCA35

Anybody that would sweat a hurricane is gay.

Well, at least you get some advance notice with a hurricane. Enough time to board up and decide whether to evacuate or hunker down. Florida also gets some serious tornadoes, and the warning time is rather short. Usually just enough time to decide whether to f@rt and blink or [bleep] and go blind.
I agree on the fishing
[Linked Image]

and there are some great rivers (like the Suwanee) to float.
[Linked Image]

I'll stay in Utah............

I like the 7% humidity in the summer...........

or do I............ frown
Originally Posted by TBREW401
What part of Florida do you plan to move?
The fishing is great, the hunting can be good, deer, hogs, turkey, gators, small game.
Snakes, bugs? Blah, blah, every where has bugs
The worst part of Florida is the northeast yankees!!
Southeast is worst.
We have high temps and humidity in summer
We are gun friendly
Come on down

I really don't know. I have to be within 50 miles of Florida City.

Agree on the bugs.

Thanks for the invite. Mannlicher PM'd the same sentiment.

Travis
Honestly, there are probably more hillbilly/redneck types in Florida than Montana.

From what I've seen on Live PD in Pasco County, I'd say you're right.
Skeeters in the 'Glades few weeks after the rain start can kill ya. Literally.
Noseeums (sand flies for you yankees) in the salt marshes can make you want to kill yourself.
Yankees on the roadways can make you want to kill someone else.

Don't confuse green mambas for green snakes.
Wait til he gets chiggars on the sack.
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT

From what I've seen on Live PD in Pasco County, I'd say you're right.

Pasco and Dade Counties are on whole different planets.
Originally Posted by rem141r
the worst schit you hear about happens in florida.

I disagree, - I propose that the worst [bleep] you hear about happens in DC.
if it's florida city, thats near homestead, which has lots and lots of interesting things that take place there. You should find it interesting.
Islamorada is about 50 miles from Florida City. They don't have chiggers.
Hawk',

You and I kinda be BFF? Rumor is Mannlicher took me off ignore. I think he's warming up.

Huh?

That is what makes it really bad. I'd rather the bugs, snakes, jellyfish, etc. any day than yankees. I don't call Westerners that live up North yankees. I'm talking New Jersey, Delaware, New York, Massachusetts. You know the type, old folks with short pants and knee high black socks with sandals. Hillary voters every one of 'em. If you're in Montana stay there. If someboby is looking for a warm climate and bugs I might be willing to trade 300 acres in Louisiana for Eastern Wyoming (Black Hills) or Montana.
Originally Posted by viking

It always itches down there regardless.

No concern.

Dave
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
if it's florida city, thats near homestead, which has lots and lots of interesting things that take place there. You should find it interesting.

Seems to be a lot of strong church groups.

Clark
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Hawk',

Huh?

Hey [bleep], if you don't learn to habla, you can forget becoming, like, totally besties and stuff.

Travis
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Islamorada is about 50 miles from Florida City. They don't have chiggers.

Never heard of her but if she's chigger free she won't be for long.

(wink)

Dave
Originally Posted by Hastings

That is what makes it really bad. I'd rather the bugs, snakes, jellyfish, etc. any day than yankees. I don't call Westerners that live up North yankees. I'm talking New Jersey, Delaware, New York, Massachusetts. You know the type, old folks with short pants and knee high black socks with sandals. Hillary voters every one of 'em. If you're in Montana stay there. If someboby is looking for a warm climate and bugs I might be willing to trade 300 acres in Louisiana for Eastern Wyoming (Black Hills) or Montana.

There is no going back now.

'Flave will arrive on June 24th. And Florida will be better for it.

Dave
Originally Posted by Alagator

[Linked Image]

If I saw a blind man with a black bear in his boat I'd have the common GD courtesy to let him know.

Not snap a damn picture.

Clark
Originally Posted by viking

It always itches down there regardless.

No concern.

Dave

Its called herpes.
Originally Posted by jaguartx

Its called herpes.

I guess you would know.
Yes. Im a dr.
I meant because you've spent so much time down there.

But yeah, a PhD don't hurt either.

[Linked Image]

If I saw a blind man with a black bear in his boat I'd have the common GD courtesy to let him know.

Not snap a damn picture.

Clark

Savage.
I meant because you've spent so much time down there.

But yeah, a PhD don't hurt either.

If Texas is down there.
PS, Im not aware of phd's routinely filling out state and federal patient medical foms, treatment forms for hospitals or nursing homes, and signing their name on the line by "Physician", or prescribng narcotics, analgesics, antibiotics, antifungals, antihistamines, antibiotics, steroidal and nonsteroidal anti inflammatory meds, oral and topical meds, or medically treating potentially blinding diseases with drugs with potentially fatal side effects. wink
Originally Posted by RoninPhx

Seems to be a lot of strong church groups.

Clark

i suppose that is one way of putting it.
i saw this and thought of you, fast forward to about 2/3rds of the tape.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dt1oDnVeab0

[Linked Image]

Not snap a damn picture.

Clark

Feller that sold me that critter said it was a canoe fishing guide dog. One bark=river right, two barks=river left, howling and whimpering =bream bed, anchor and fish. Now I know why it snaps up all the heads and guts. Takes an unscrupulous person to sell a blind man a pig in a poke or a bear in a boat.

Seriously, if you move to Florida, you will need to invest in some major sunglasses, SPF 50 fishing clothes, and stash some sunscreen and insect repellent in every vehicle and boat. Old guys like me are paying the price for years of unprotected Florida sun. My dermatologist makes a living chopping holes in my hide.
Originally Posted by Hastings

What about guys from Chitcago?
Well Flave I am about 20 miles from Dan and bought a bay boat last year and can't find anyone to go fishing with me. So if you get up this way you buy the beer and I will provide the boat but I am one of those MN pollacks originally so I can put away some beer. I would not hazard a guess as to who will come out ahead on that deal.

Mack
I don't think a guy from Montana can last long in Fla. Is there a pool on what gets him first, bugs snakes or gators?
Originally Posted by RichardAustin
I don't think a guy from Montana can last long in Fla. Is there a pool on what gets him first, bugs snakes or gators?

Realistically its between the bugs and the cans.

Mexicans, Puertoricans, Halfricans, Haitianicans, you get the idea.

At one point there were so many Haitians in Pahokee that the Aids rate was about 33% of the population. The newspapers were actually warning people not to get bitten by mosquitoes near there for risk of contracting aids. Kind of a double whammy, killed by a bug and a lowlife.
Originally Posted by Great_Wazoo
Originally Posted by RichardAustin

Realistically its between the bugs and the cans.

Mexicans, Puertoricans, Halfricans, Haitianicans, you get the idea.

At one point there were so many Haitians in Pahokee that the Aids rate was about 33% of the population. The newspapers were actually warning people not to get bitten by mosquitoes near there for risk of contracting aids. Kind of a double whammy, killed by a bug and a lowlife.

Yeah, This^^^.,
One thing I have noticed about folks who grew up in either part of the country----is that they're not too scared of the dangers they grew up around....that is to say that Montanas (myself included) are/were scared [bleep] of moccasins and all the spiders in the south, but grizzly bears aren't as bad as they seem. The opposite seems true for folks I know who grew up in the south and come out to Montana for a spell. They're scared [bleep] of bears, but snakes are no issue if you give them the respect they deserve.

The point should be made though, that there's no comparison with a prairie rattler and a cottonmouth. Those damn moccasins will actually go on the offense if you catch them in the right mood, or in a corner. In my experience Montana rattlesnakes just want to get away from you, without exception.
Only the sheep are afraid in Montana.
Originally Posted by T_Inman
One thing I have noticed about folks who grew up in either part of the country----is that they're not too scared of the dangers they grew up around....that is to say that Montanas (myself included) are/were scared [bleep] of moccasins and all the spiders in the south, but grizzly bears aren't as bad as they seem. The opposite seems true for folks I know who grew up in the south and come out to Montana for a spell. They're scared [bleep] of bears, but snakes are no issue if you give them the respect they deserve.

The point should be made though, that there's no comparison with a prairie rattler and a cottonmouth. Those damn moccasins will actually go on the offense if you catch them in the right mood, or in a corner. In my experience Montana rattlesnakes just want to get away from you, without exception.

The closest I have come to being bitten was by Moccasins on 3 different occasions. Two different ones came after me, one I almost stepped on stepping over a log, the other was over the door in the boat house. Nasty boogers!

The largest poisonous snakes I have killed were both Eastern Diamondbacks. One was 5 1/2 feet the other almost 6 1/2.

You are right, bears get my attention real fast.
Bah!

He will be fine.

Whats Florida like?

The Village People with spiders and snakes?

Big deal.
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff

What about guys from Chitcago?

They're the worst.

(Pennsylvania excluded)

Dave

Feller that sold me that critter said it was a canoe fishing guide dog. One bark=river right, two barks=river left, howling and whimpering =bream bed, anchor and fish. Now I know why it snaps up all the heads and guts. Takes an unscrupulous person to sell a blind man a pig in a poke or a bear in a boat.

Seriously, if you move to Florida, you will need to invest in some major sunglasses, SPF 50 fishing clothes, and stash some sunscreen and insect repellent in every vehicle and boat. Old guys like me are paying the price for years of unprotected Florida sun. My dermatologist makes a living chopping holes in my hide.

Either way, you both look fabulous.

Travis
Originally Posted by mack5511
Well Flave I am about 20 miles from Dan and bought a bay boat last year and can't find anyone to go fishing with me. So if you get up this way you buy the beer and I will provide the boat but I am one of those MN pollacks originally so I can put away some beer. I would not hazard a guess as to who will come out ahead on that deal.

Mack

Hahahahahaha. You gotta be kidding me. MN Pollocks drink like women.

But yes, I could use a fishing guide so thank you.

Travis

South Florida has bad weather!

LMFAO.

Dave
Originally Posted by kingston
Only the sheep are afraid in Montana.

Not if Masshole's are around.

We fugk them first.
Bah!

He will be fine.

Whats Florida like?

Big deal.

Jim,

Their country down that way is "tough."

LMAO.

I don't even work outside. How bad can it be?

Dave

Mostly what you got in Mt is bleck bears. In Fl, its bleck boys and bleck snakes. I hope Travy Jr catches a 30 ld snook and a 10 lb speck. grin

May God be with and bless that boy. In Jesus' name i pray.
Bah!

He will be fine.

Whats Florida like?

Big deal.

Jim,

Their country down that way is "tough."

LMAO.

I don't even work outside. How bad can it be?

Dave

Clint,

If you are going to cower inside in the AC, then NBD at all!
I will not cower the entire time.

Once my daughters say the coast is clear, I'm 'bout it, 'bout it.
I will not cower the entire time.

Once my daughters say the coast is clear, I'm 'bout it, 'bout it.

Attaboy!
[Linked Image]

Looks like Flave is already scoutin the place.
FLA also has Bears and Big Cats! I saw one of the Biggest Black Bears Iv seen while Hunting deer in Lake county! back in 1983, it covered the 2 track it crossed!
Here's a bug that's best avoided.

[Linked Image]
Yes, but no hunting season on either of them.

I saw a Bear down on the Alley that was as tall as any I have ever seen. They are usually kind of rangy in FL unless they live near a dependable garbage source.

[Linked Image]

Not snap a damn picture.

Clark

Dummy! He's not blind, he's in the witness protection program.
Isn't this a bit too much, I'm mean, moving to Florida just to be closer to Jay Cutler?

Time for an Intervention!
Originally Posted by jaguartx
PS, Im not aware of phd's routinely filling out state and federal patient medical foms, treatment forms for hospitals or nursing homes, and signing their name on the line by "Physician", or prescribng narcotics, analgesics, antibiotics, antifungals, antihistamines, antibiotics, steroidal and nonsteroidal anti inflammatory meds, oral and topical meds, or medically treating potentially blinding diseases with drugs with potentially fatal side effects. wink

WHAT?! have you stolen a Drs coat again? You've got to cut that out, you'll lose your job as an orderly. And quit using the rx pad in the pocket and give it back. you're gonna get in trouble.

Sycamore
Mack5511
I'm in Homosassa too.
Lets go fishin!
fubarguy nice to see someone close. I live in Sugar Mill Woods. We will have to touch base for a beer or something one night and figure out a plan to get on the water.
Mack5511 I'm off Rockcrusher, north of you. I just finished restoring a 14 ft. aluminum boat and am just about ready to take her out. I do a lot of shore fishing for Mangrove Snappers tho.
Originally Posted by colodog
Isn't this a bit too much, I'm mean, moving to Florida just to be closer to Jay Cutler?

Time for an Intervention!

The heart doesn't lie.
Originally Posted by mack5511
fubarguy nice to see someone close. I live in Sugar Mill Woods. We will have to touch base for a beer or something one night and figure out a plan to get on the water.

Looks like 'flave got another place to crash on his way south.
Yep

Plus look at all the old men and minorities that couldn't survive anywhere else.

Dave

Pasty white boys are the minority.
Originally Posted by fubarguy
Yep

I should be pretty hammered by the time I get to Florida City.
Dave, don't pick on Jay Cutler. We really liked the guy in Green Bay because he completed a lot of passes to the Packer defense when he was with the Bears. He must have some kind of an agent to knock down that kind of a salary down here after what we saw up north.
Cutler strikes fear into the hearts of men. I hear his skin is a beautiful bronze color now.
© 24hourcampfire