Home
The attempt to chip away continues. There is much work to do.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...usetts-assault-weapons-ban-idUSKCN1HD2CW

[quote](Reuters) - A federal judge on Friday upheld a Massachusetts law banning assault weapons including the AR-15, saying the U.S. Constitution’s Second Amendment guarantee of Americans’ right to bear firearms does not cover them.

FILE PHOTO - AR-15 rifles are displayed for sale at the Guntoberfest gun show in Oaks, Pennsylvania, U.S., October 6, 2017. REUTERS/Joshua Roberts
U.S. District Judge William Young in Boston ruled that assault weapons and large capacity magazines covered by the 1998 law were most useful in military service and fall outside the scope of the Second Amendment’s personal right to bear arms.

“In the absence of federal legislation, Massachusetts is free to ban these weapons and large capacity magazines,” Young wrote.

He also rejected a challenge to an enforcement notice Massachusetts Attorney General Maura Healey issued in 2016 to gun manufacturers and dealers clarifying what under the law is a “copy” of an assault weapon like the Colt AR-15.

Healey announced that notice after a gunman killed 49 people at the Pulse nightclub in Orlando, Florida.

Healey welcomed Young’s ruling. “Strong gun laws save lives, and we will not be intimidated by the gun lobby in our efforts to end the sale of assault weapons and protect our communities and schools,” she said in a statement.

The decision came amid renewed attention to gun violence and firearms ownership after a gunman killed 17 students and staff at a Florida high school in February, prompting a surge of gun control activism by teenage students.

Young acknowledged that the plaintiffs had cited the semi-automatic AR-15 rifle’s popularity in arguing the law must be unconstitutional because it would ban a class of firearms Americans had overwhelming chosen for legal purposes.

“Yet the AR-15’s present-day popularity is not constitutionally material,” Young wrote. “This is because the words of our Constitution are not mutable. They mean the same today as they did 227 years ago when the Second Amendment was adopted.”

The Gun Owners’ Action League of Massachusetts, which was among the plaintiffs who sued in 2017, said in a statement that it was concerned by the ruling, which sets a “dangerous precedent.” It said it would consider its next steps.

The U.S. Supreme Court in 2008 held for the first time that the Second Amendment guaranteed an individual’s right to bear arms, but the ruling applied only to firearms kept in the home for self-defense.

The justices have avoided taking another major gun case for eight years. Most recently, in November, the court refused to hear a case challenging Maryland’s 2013 state ban on assault weapons./quote]
Figured a militia is military, therefore, requires military arms. That said, an AR15, is not a military arm.
The SCOTUS will squash it, just gonna take time.
I will say this The Democrat party is a dead, one their full of chit on this the illegals the whole thing they stand for
FEDERAL JUDGE, appointed by Reagan no less.....
Harry M,

YEP. And EARL WARREN was appointed by GEN Eisenhower, too.
(Some judges don't turn out to be what the POTUS thought that they'd be.)

yours, tex
Basic facts - there are all sorts of lawyers - ranging from highly principled down to dishonest creeps, and ranging from wise upholders of the Constitution down to delusional hacks. And, judges simply are lawyers in robes. If challenged to the limit, that ruling will not sand.
When the libs tell me our founders never envisioned the modern weapons we could buy today, i tell them they also never envisioned the weapons the govt would develop to abuse us either.

I wonder when it became illegal for folks to have canons.
Originally Posted by CCCC
Basic facts - there are all sorts of lawyers - ranging from highly principled down to dishonest creeps, and ranging from wise upholders of the Constitution down to delusional hacks. And, judges simply are lawyers in robes. If challenged to the limit, that ruling will not sand.

Thats why lowyers become politicians. And, unfortunately, even the best delight in making laws that lead to the ilk of their brethren owning us.
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
The attempt to chip away continues. There is much work to do.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...usetts-assault-weapons-ban-idUSKCN1HD2CW

[quote](Reuters) - A federal judge on Friday upheld a Massachusetts law banning assault weapons including the AR-15, saying the U.S. Constitution’s Second Amendment guarantee of Americans’ right to bear firearms does not cover them.

FILE PHOTO - AR-15 rifles are displayed for sale at the Guntoberfest gun show in Oaks, Pennsylvania, U.S., October 6, 2017. REUTERS/Joshua Roberts
U.S. District Judge William Young in Boston ruled that assault weapons and large capacity magazines covered by the 1998 law were most useful in military service and fall outside the scope of the Second Amendment’s personal right to bear arms.

“In the absence of federal legislation, Massachusetts is free to ban these weapons and large capacity magazines,” Young wrote.

He also rejected a challenge to an enforcement notice Massachusetts Attorney General Maura Healey issued in 2016 to gun manufacturers and dealers clarifying what under the law is a “copy” of an assault weapon like the Colt AR-15.

Healey announced that notice after a gunman killed 49 people at the Pulse nightclub in Orlando, Florida.

Healey welcomed Young’s ruling. “Strong gun laws save lives, and we will not be intimidated by the gun lobby in our efforts to end the sale of assault weapons and protect our communities and schools,” she said in a statement.

The decision came amid renewed attention to gun violence and firearms ownership after a gunman killed 17 students and staff at a Florida high school in February, prompting a surge of gun control activism by teenage students.

Young acknowledged that the plaintiffs had cited the semi-automatic AR-15 rifle’s popularity in arguing the law must be unconstitutional because it would ban a class of firearms Americans had overwhelming chosen for legal purposes.

“Yet the AR-15’s present-day popularity is not constitutionally material,” Young wrote. “This is because the words of our Constitution are not mutable. They mean the same today as they did 227 years ago when the Second Amendment was adopted.”

The Gun Owners’ Action League of Massachusetts, which was among the plaintiffs who sued in 2017, said in a statement that it was concerned by the ruling, which sets a “dangerous precedent.” It said it would consider its next steps.

The U.S. Supreme Court in 2008 held for the first time that the Second Amendment guaranteed an individual’s right to bear arms, but the ruling applied only to firearms kept in the home for self-defense.

The justices have avoided taking another major gun case for eight years. Most recently, in November, the court refused to hear a case challenging Maryland’s 2013 state ban on assault weapons./quote]

Thing is, we already went down this road once, and it was found that such a ban did nothing to curb shooting deaths and crime, but here we go again.
What part of "....shall not be infringed." does the judge not understand?
As for believing the U.S. Supreme Court would overrule the decision of the lower court, I believe that it is sheer folly to try and second guess what the Supreme Court would rule on a particular issue, especially firearms.

Just my opinion.

L.W.
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine

He must be thinking of the "living and breathing" part.
Originally Posted by Leanwolf
As for believing the U.S. Supreme Court would overrule the decision of the lower court, I believe that it is sheer folly to try and second guess what the Supreme Court would rule on a particular issue, especially firearms.

Just my opinion.

L.W.

obamacare

I agree. What a POS!!!!!
Originally Posted by jaguartx

I wonder when it became illegal for folks to have canons.
"Canons" are laws,,, I bet you meant "cannons"..., right? laugh laugh

There's been a ton of 'judges' who 'do not understand' the 2A..
Of course it's ludicrous but in the meantime the judgement stands. We continue to reap the benefits of past republican presidents bowing to the will of the democrats by appointing people to the bench with regards to keep a balanced court. I have never understood the need to keep the court balanced between defending and abolishing the constitution. It's sort of an oxymoron. Jefferson once opined that some future generation might need to physically defend the constitution.

Not a lack of understanding, but a case of a judge that wants to make law, and not uphold law. miles
Originally Posted by Leanwolf

Just my opinion.

L.W.

I agree. I do not trust Second Amendment rights to anyone wearing a black robe.
gun makers need to make firearms "designed for civilian" use and then let the military adopt them.

not that I think that is necessary but if the only thing that they are basing the rule on is its a military spec weapon, then we can fix that pretty quick
I wouldn't expect anything less to come out of Assachussetts.

It would be out of character for those northeast communist cahksuckers to rule in favor of anything that resembles liberty.
The attack on gun rights is all over the USA and comes systematically aiming at the low hanging fruit. Each time they win is another milestone towards what the liberals are looking for..total ban on civilian guns. Here in Vermont our flip flop RHINO governor Scott just pandered to the liberal Legislature and said he would sign the latest attempt at gun control here in Vermont where we have some of the safest crime/ gun statistics and up to this point the most lenient gun laws. Some big pro gun rallies are scheduled but unfortunately he is rumored to be signing that travesty of a proposal into law in a day or two. I hope all sportsmen throughout the state vote he and his liberal friends out next time around. Governor Scott...1 and done.
"Remember in November".
Originally Posted by 12344mag
The SCOTUS will squash it, just gonna take time.

better to squash these criminal lieberal so-called judges
I don't know if it is everywhere, but here, judge candidates have quit putting party affiliation on the ballot. Makes it harder for most people to find out their true leanings. miles
How soon they forget.

What was the Boston Massacre?

The Boston Massacre was a street fight that occurred on March 5, 1770, between a "patriot" mob, throwing snowballs, stones, and sticks, and a squad of British soldiers. Soldiers fired on the unarmed patriots. It resulted in 5 dead patriots, and 6 injuries. Reactions were swift an angry, so it became one of the greatest contributing factors to the War for American Independence.
Odd, since the Socond Amendment, by its very language, is about paramilitary arms primarily.
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Odd, since the Socond Amendment, by its very language, is about paramilitary arms primarily.

Absolutely.

And those worthless POS liberal judges know it.
Time for Non- Compliance and a big GFY!
One of the few times TRH is correct on anything, but he certainly is on this. When the Fathers wrote "arms" they were specifically talking about military weapons in the hands of a civilian militia. And militia meant every able-bodied citizen, not a regular army.

Second point: The AR-15 is not a military weapon. It is not used by any military anywhere. It is purely a civilian rifle.
The courts will never rule, so its black and white. There has to be gray areas. If not lawyers would run out of cases. Lawyers have the best union in the world. Judges and legislators both belong. Each making work for the other. Hasbeen
Originally Posted by hasbeen1945
The courts will never rule, so its black and white. There has to be gray areas. If not lawyers would run out of cases. Lawyers have the best union in the world. Judges and legislators both belong. Each making work for the other. Hasbeen

That there is the most insightful and concise description of the problem I have seen articulated.
Originally Posted by JSTUART

That there is the most insightful and concise description of the problem I have seen articulated.

I afraid that’s the truth. Lawyers in general don’t have our interests in mind. My Dad told me three people prayed on the down and out, when they most neede help.
Lawyers
Used car salesmen
Undertaker
Hasbeen
Originally Posted by satx78247
Harry M,

yours, tex

John Roberts and Bush
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
Originally Posted by satx78247
Harry M,

yours, tex

John Roberts and Bush

Amen! That turncoat SOB could have ended the travesty called Obummer Care and crippled Obummer's regime.
Originally Posted by JSTUART

x2

I've been saying that for years.
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

I agree. What a POS!!!!!

Apparently he doesn't understand his own statements:

“Yet the AR-15’s present-day popularity is not constitutionally material,” Young wrote. “This is because the words of our Constitution are not mutable. They mean the same today as they did 227 years ago when the Second Amendment was adopted.”"

Maybe he didn't pass third grade English, and 4th grade history?

https://www.thefreedictionary.com/infringe

Geno
Originally Posted by ingwe
Time for Non- Compliance and a big GFY!
THAT!!

Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

I agree. What a POS!!!!!

Apparently he doesn't understand his own statements:

“Yet the AR-15’s present-day popularity is not constitutionally material,” Young wrote. “This is because the words of our Constitution are not mutable. They mean the same today as they did 227 years ago when the Second Amendment was adopted.”"

Maybe he didn't pass third grade English, and 4th grade history?

https://www.thefreedictionary.com/infringe

Geno
Do they even TEACH history any longer? That is, as actual history and not the liberal version that eliminates everything they don't agree with? When did this alleged 'judge' go to school?? Before schools were dominated by liberals or after? I'm betting 'after'..
We have to go beyond non compliance - the commies know they'll chip away at us and win .

Hiding a gun somewhere knowing they can and will wreck your life if caught with it is BS.

Until we show up armed - ready to go to war - put the fear of God in them - they won't stop .

Look how bold they are - going against the Constitution and getting away with it over and over unopposed .

There are droves of people on this website who would laugh and crack jokes about the Militia's we should have in place for this kind of stuff , brainwashed .

There are some supposed militia guys who practice shooting about a half mile from our hunting lease , I haven't heard one person in the lease say a good word about them when the topic pops up .
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
It is, primarily because it's purpose is to aid in the prevention of a runaway and corrupt Federal government from negating the other items of the Bill of Rights. In that, not only are AR's appropriate for that purpose, but also would be every piece of ordnance the government possesses, bought by OUR tax dollars. Now that may seem like pushing the envelope to some, but it's an absolute truth and also might be shy some judges take an obstinate position to 2A.
Originally Posted by ol_mike
We have to go beyond non compliance - the commies know they'll chip away at us and win .

Hiding a gun somewhere knowing they can and will wreck your life if caught with it is BS.

Until we show up armed - ready to go to war - put the fear of God in them - they won't stop .
THAT!!
The Eagles had the right idea in the song "Get Over It". Kill all the lawyers killem tonight. That would be the start of the solution.
They are perverting Scalia's words.

"Weapons that are most useful in military service -- M-16 rifles and the like" aren’t protected by the Second Amendment and "may be banned,"

The AR15 is not useful in the Military, This is what is being missed.

Eventually this will be squashed, maybe when this is done the citizens can sue their state for denying their Constitutional rights for that specified time.
Originally Posted by 12344mag
They are perverting Scalia's words.

"Weapons that are most useful in military service -- M-16 rifles and the like" aren’t protected by the Second Amendment and "may be banned,"

The AR15 is not useful in the Military, This is what is being missed.

Eventually this will be squashed, maybe when this is done the citizens can sue their state for denying their Constitutional rights for that specified time.

Scalia may have gotten that point about "useful in military service" wrong, going back to the original intent of the Amendment...............in my opinion.

Then again, I'm not a SC Justice so I don't get to write opinions that count for much. frown

Geno
Why ISN'T someone in Massachusetts ALREADY suing them/appealing? How can they lose, at this point, when the Constitution still says what it says?...seems like one of the few cases where taking it all the way up the ladder of courts (to whatever point necessary) would actually be worth the $$$ it would take.

They could start a GoFundMe for legal fees, and they'd have millions of donators... smile

Constitutional law trumps state law, considering the state has not seceded, correct?... I am not a smoker, but that's what they keep telling us about the newly "legal" Marijuana states. How is this different?
There are three types of lawyers.

Good ones, that become successful

Bad ones that become public defenders

And ahiddty ones, who become politicans
© 24hourcampfire