Home
Posted By: bja105 Gun 'rack" for tractor - 04/08/18
Someday, spring will come, and the grass will grow. Hay season is coming. I need ideas on how to keep a gun handy on my tractor. It needs to be quickly accessible, but not get beat up bouncing around my fields. I want to have a scoped rifle close at hand, mostly for groundhogs. Maybe an AR-15, sometimes a scoped bolt rifle.

I miss too many opportunities.

Tractor is a Ford 4610, no cab or canopy, but I do have ROPS that I could secure something to. I also have flat fenders.

What do you use to keep a scoped rifle handy while mowing? Does the bouncing cause you to loose zero? Pics?
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Gun 'rack" for tractor - 04/08/18
[Linked Image]
Posted By: bja105 Re: Gun 'rack" for tractor - 04/08/18
I said I don't have a cab.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Gun 'rack" for tractor - 04/08/18
that's not a cab. It's an emplacement. Or, call it a crow's nest.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Gun 'rack" for tractor - 04/08/18
Seems like RockinBBar has a cool set up for toting a rifle on a tractor.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Gun 'rack" for tractor - 04/08/18
I buy plastic scabbards at ATV dealers, bungie cord em in cab tractors and drill and bolt em to inside fenders on open station tractors, I leave the tops to the scabbards in the barn while I'm out working, pop em back on when done.
Seems like a Kolpin ATV boot would be the ticket

Fairlyy dustproof as long as the cover is secured, yet pretty accessible.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Gun 'rack" for tractor - 04/08/18
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Seems like RockinBBar has a cool set up for toting a rifle on a tractor.

This one works well for me.

It has a base plate on bottom. You can remove the rack when you want to. I have the top part secured to the rops part so it doesn't wiggle when going gets rough.

[Linked Image]

https://www.cabelas.com/product/Rug...unt-Compact-Gun-Rack/708836.uts?slotId=0
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Gun 'rack" for tractor - 04/08/18
A gun rack is going to be a lot easier to put in a cab tractor than in one without a cab. I have a good place behind the seat of my New Holland to carry a rifle, especially an AR with the stock collapsed. Of course, it's a cab tractor and that makes a difference. A 4610 Ford is going to ride a lot rougher than a larger tractor, and my concern would be the scope being jarred around a lot. I've carried scoped rifles in trucks and ATV's that never lost their zero, even though I know they were bounced around a lot. I've also had them to lose their zero under the same conditions. That part is going to fall back on the scope itself, not how well it's secured.

On a tractor such as the one mentioned, I like the idea of a hard plastic boot, if you can find a way to secure it properly. I had a 5600 Ford, a similar sized tractor, and I'm thinking that there might be room to mount something on the side of a fender.
Posted By: stevelyn Re: Gun 'rack" for tractor - 04/08/18
Bolt a 4-wheeler rack on the hood forward of the steering wheel and get an open gun carrier for it.
Posted By: viking Re: Gun 'rack" for tractor - 04/08/18
Try a scabbard.
yep... this is what we used as a kid... you could strap them on anywhere and put a rifle or shotgun in reach.
Posted By: Redneck Re: Gun 'rack" for tractor - 04/09/18
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
[Linked Image]
DAMN, man - I WANT ONE LIKE THAT!!!! laugh
© 24hourcampfire