Home
back during the height of the cold war, back in the 50's and early 60's the clear channel AM radio stations ruled the roost.

i can remember:

WSB (welcome south brother).

WSM & Ralph Emery

WLS Chicago w/Art Roberts

KAAY in little rock, ark was a clear channel station i believe.

WCKY in cincinnati

WABC in new york city.

WAPE, the big ape in jacksonville, fl.

one atop the roosevelt hotel in NOLA.

many others, can't remember them, but they were there. it was before the invasion of the FM way of listening.

who is old enough to remember the big clear-channel rockers?
KOMA from Oklahoma City. We started getting it just a little before sundown in western Colorado, sometimes could even pick it up during the day.
KOMA Oklahoma City.
Still listen to one, KENI 650 in Anchorage.
trying to remember, the only K station we ever picked up in ne georgia was KAAY in Little Rock. when the weather was right, it would blast.
Originally Posted by HitnRun
KOMA Oklahoma City.

In high school in Lander WY in the 50's we cruised around at night with a case of Coors listening to KOMA. There was another one in Del Rio TX , cant remember the call letters, I think their transmitter was in Mexico and really boomed out there.
seems like Ft. Wayne, Indiana had a powerhouse too. might have been drift from cloud re-direction.
What was the one out of St Louis?
Originally Posted by jnyork
KOMA Oklahoma City.

In high school in Lander WY in the 50's we cruised around at night with a case of Coors listening to KOMA. There was another one in Del Rio TX , cant remember the call letters, I think their transmitter was in Mexico and really boomed out there.

stories told of off-shore pirates popping up all the time, and the FCC working overtime to identify their location and then shut them down.

our local ATL stations used the playlists developed and maintained by WLS chicago, especially Art Robert's stuff.

and then there was cousin Brucey.

and never to forget the Wolfman.
WLAC - Nashville, Tennessee

Big John R and the Hossman - greatest R&B station of all time during the 50's, 60's and 70's.

Listened to lots of KOMA also

Can't remembet the call letters of the one out of Del Rio, TX but spent lots of time listening to The Wolfman on it
Gus, I recognize those - surely listened to all at one time or another.
Am thinking you might ad KSL in Salt Lake City - heard it all over the place out here after dark and think it was CC.
remember WLAC.

& WWL, new orleans?

always thought that the Art Roberts show on WLS chicago was better than either cousin brucey or wolfman jack.

just my opinion.

never did pick up KOMA i don't think. the cloud cover was wrong i guess.

and there was something up there in ft wayne, indiana but can't recall.
Originally Posted by CCCC
Gus, I recognize those - surely listened to all at one time or another.
Am thinking you might ad KSL in Salt Lake City - heard it all over the place out here after dark and think it was CC.

seems we received very little stuff that crossed the big muddy coming east. the little rock CC was one.

that was a time that the 55 & 57 chevies ruled the roost. i think they were 265 & 283 engines depending.

the 348's showed up for a spell.

and surely some remember the "reverberators" attached to the am radio.
Used to listen to Spike O'Dell on 720 AM WGN radio in Chicago. He coined it “The 50,000 Watt Love Pump.”
WGY Schenectady, NY.
WLW 700 in Cincinnati is in that list too.

I grew up in Cincinnati and was a real radiohead.

Dad listened to WCKY for a good part of his adult life. Easy listening music, news, weather, and stock reports. What's wasn't there to like? After dark, he often switched to WLS, just so he could he could hear something coming from that far away. He built and managed apartments and got a reputation among the local radio and TV crowd. As a result, I grew up with all sorts of characters in Dad's apartments: Gene Sheppard, Rod Serling, and good part of the cast of Midwestern Hayride.

WLW was and is the voice of the Reds. You could be anywhere in the country and pick up a Red's game. There was a time when you could hear WLW in your fillings if you were around the transmitter in Mason. Powell Crosley had thing boosted to 500 KW and the transmitter needed a cooling pond. The removable printed circuit card was invented for that operation. I've been in it, Lou Crosley was my best friend when I was a wee one. I was also friends with Bill Eggerding, the chief engineer at Voice of America.
Used to listen to Wolfman Jack, I think out of ChulaVista Ca? And we were up in northern Ca, Tahoe.He had some super duper powerful transmitting!
most of us "cruisers" would listen to WLS in chicago, the art roberts show, rather that quixie in dixie, WQXI. at least at night. during the day, quixie was the go-to.

for the pure country folks who walked amongst us, it was WPLO, radio 59, and the John Gray show. those were the days.

and then there was Honest John Fox, also a really big supporter of pure country music.
Oh, yeah, KILT 610 in Houston. We used to home in on that one with the ADF in the airplane and fly home from Oklahoma, Louisiana, New Mexico...

Now I am in rh DFW area and we still have a 50,000 watt station in our backyard here, WBAP 820.
Yes Gus, WWL in New Orleans. Leon Kelner (sic) and his orchestra!!
"This is the 50,000 watt Clear Channel Voice of the Middle West WHO, Des Moines"
Could pick up WHO all the way up in northern Minnesota, and KOMA up in central Iowa on dark, clear nights.
KOMA Oklahoma City.

That was probably John R Brinkley's border blaster.

The Mexican government, eager to get even with its northern neighbors for dividing up North America's radio frequencies without giving any to Mexico, granted Brinkley a 50,000-watt radio license and construction began on XER-AM, his new "border blaster" across the bridge from Del Rio in Villa Acuña, Coahuila (since renamed Ciudad Acuña).[14] As construction got underway, Fishbein and the U.S. State Department desperately searched for a way to shut Brinkley down. Under heavy pressure from the State Department, the Mexican government halted construction on XER-AM, but it was only temporary. Within weeks, construction resumed and soon two 300-foot (91 m) towers reached into the sky.[45] XER, at 840 kilohertz on the AM dial, radiated by a sky wave antenna, made its first broadcast in October 1931. Brinkley called it the "Sunshine Station Between the Nations".

Brinkley used his new border blaster to resume his campaign for governor by using the telephone to call in his broadcasts to the transmitter. This approach did not work, and he lost yet another political campaign; he would lose again in 1934. Though Brinkley's American radio license had been revoked, XER's signal was so strong that it could still be heard in Kansas.[46] In 1932, the Mexican government allowed Brinkley to increase his wattage to 150,000 watts. Several months later, Brinkley was allowed to increase to one million watts, "making XER far and away the most powerful radio station on the planet" that, on a clear night, could be heard as far away as Canada. According to accounts of the time, the signal was so strong that it turned on car headlights, made bedsprings hum, and caused broadcasts to bleed into telephone conversations.[47] Local residents didn't even need a radio to hear Brinkley's station; ranchers reported that they received it through their metal fences and in their dental appliances.[48]

goat gland doctor john brinkley from milford kansas
Remember KOMA and there was another out of IIRC El Paso but I do not remember the Call sign. Had Wolfman Jack.
Wasn’t the one in Del Rio the one that had the preacher that if you sent him $5 he’d send you a plastic dashboard Jesus with “glowing eyes" that would follow you anywhere in the dark??? laugh
Use to travel up and down the east coast, from Boston as far south as Georgia on a regular
basis when I was in college...

VW Squareback with an AM Radio and an 8 track under the dash...

Would run that route at night...could listen to the radio just like I was in town...

WKBW out of Buffalo NY...

WOWO out of Ft Wayne Ind...

WLS out of Chicago...

and far enough south, or going into Florida... A Station out of New Orleans...
can't remember those call letters...

The first three stations could cover me from the Canadian border all the way down
to Atlanta GA...with no reception issues..

as I recall they were not 50,000 watt stations, they were 100,000 watt stations..

use to live in MN and WCCO out of Mpls sure had a long range coverage out in the Dakotas
Saskatchewan and Manitoba, even parts of Alberta, and eastern Montana...

My travels in college also took me up to the Maritime Provinces in eastern Canada...two stations
out of Boston could be picked up along the eastern coast of Maine, and then all thru New Brunswick
Nova Scota, PEI...Newfoundland...Both WRKO and WMEX out of Boston would instead turn their
signal out to sea and up the coast... so you couldn't get it 30 miles west of Boston, but you could
pick it up 800 miles up in Nova Scotia... and Newfoundland...

Girlfriend of mine went to Ireland to spend the summer with her grandmother on year, and she
said she picked up the Boston Stations on the coast of Ireland at night, when the single was turned out
to sea...

Most of Ontario and Quebec, I could pick up WBZ out of Boston at night...

When I was traveling long distances with a car that had an AM Radio, that is why I use to do my
travels at night....the long distance radio stations you could pick up at night, and they were clear
as a bell....
Wait that was Reverend Billy Sol Hargis!!!
I remember the Reverend very well.
While at school at Lexington, Mo. I'd listen to WEAM in Omaha. at night.
Another long distance radio thing...

I've been up in the Coastal Mountains here in Oregon
during Elk hunting season...staying over night for several days.

I'm up on mountain tops, camping out with my 4 Runner...
at 4,000 feet plus, and close to to the coast...

Turn on the AM radio at night, at that elevation...I can not
move the dial from one spot to another without picking up another
radio station from up and down the entire Pacific Coast...

From way up in Alaska, to down to Mexico... stations out of Canada
and then stuff out of Salt Lake, plenty of California, Arizona, Nevada
Idaho, Washington...Hawaii

at night and up at that altitude, with no interference for the signal.. there is no
dead spot from one end of the AM dial to the other....

Same thing with the CB radio.. picked up guys who claim they were located in the
Philippines, besides much of the western USA and Canada...Mexico also, but
I don't Habla, so can't talk to them...

Fun stuff...
KSL (Salt Lake) and KGO (San Fransisco).
Originally Posted by DryPowder
KOMA Oklahoma City.

That was probably John R Brinkley's border blaster.

The Mexican government, eager to get even with its northern neighbors for dividing up North America's radio frequencies without giving any to Mexico, granted Brinkley a 50,000-watt radio license and construction began on XER-AM, his new "border blaster" across the bridge from Del Rio in Villa Acuña, Coahuila (since renamed Ciudad Acuña).[14] As construction got underway, Fishbein and the U.S. State Department desperately searched for a way to shut Brinkley down. Under heavy pressure from the State Department, the Mexican government halted construction on XER-AM, but it was only temporary. Within weeks, construction resumed and soon two 300-foot (91 m) towers reached into the sky.[45] XER, at 840 kilohertz on the AM dial, radiated by a sky wave antenna, made its first broadcast in October 1931. Brinkley called it the "Sunshine Station Between the Nations".

Brinkley used his new border blaster to resume his campaign for governor by using the telephone to call in his broadcasts to the transmitter. This approach did not work, and he lost yet another political campaign; he would lose again in 1934. Though Brinkley's American radio license had been revoked, XER's signal was so strong that it could still be heard in Kansas.[46] In 1932, the Mexican government allowed Brinkley to increase his wattage to 150,000 watts. Several months later, Brinkley was allowed to increase to one million watts, "making XER far and away the most powerful radio station on the planet" that, on a clear night, could be heard as far away as Canada. According to accounts of the time, the signal was so strong that it turned on car headlights, made bedsprings hum, and caused broadcasts to bleed into telephone conversations.[47] Local residents didn't even need a radio to hear Brinkley's station; ranchers reported that they received it through their metal fences and in their dental appliances.[48]

goat gland doctor john brinkley from milford kansas

that's a very interesting up date.

have heard of more than one pirate ship located just outside the 12 mile boundary, aiming their broadcast antenna at a certain market area. if the coast guard wasn't in the solution, then the navy would engage the discussion.

back in those days, the FCC did dictate what was and what wasn't in the way of legitimate transmissions.
WHO all the rime, KOMA on any given night, WLS at times.
KJNP - King Jesus North Pole

outta North Pole, AK with an asymmetrical broadcast antenna so the signal goes over the pole to the commies.

Musta worked. I think all the Russians are Christians now.

KOMA, KSL, & KTWO out of Casper
KNX in LA, and KBOI boise.
Forgot KNX
WCCO
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Wasn’t the one in Del Rio the one that had the preacher that if you sent him $5 he’d send you a plastic dashboard Jesus with “glowing eyes" that would follow you anywhere in the dark??? laugh

I don't care if it rains or freezes, as long as I got my plastic Jesus.
Originally Posted by Gus
r wolfman jack.

Wolfman Jack was legend around these parts.

Living in eastern MT. and would get OK city and Del Rio TX after sundown or some hour of the night. At that time they turned the antenna to the north and you could listen all night.

No reception during the day.
WAPE out of Jax. Directional north/south. The Grease Man.
Back in the 60's & 70's you could usually get stuff like WLS Chicago, and WABC New York City, in western NY state up along Lake Ontario. Once in a while when conditions were just right I could pick up that New Orleans station and stuff like WHO from Iowa. Also occasionally WOWO Ft. Wayne, Ind.. plus a few more that I can't recall at the moment.
yes! WOWO in ft wayne. that was a good'un. right up there with WLS and the art roberts show.
Sure Gus, remember them well. Now were did I put that wrench?
In bed too late at night with a toy crystal set, marveling at the distant stations I could get after adding extra wire that I found someplace to the antenna.
I think I first heard this on WLS.
I had a little AM FM radio when I was little. I would put it under my pillow and listen to WLS after my bedtime.
WNOE in New Orleans.
Not necessarily during the 60's but I lived in Chicago from 1978 to 1981 and every day I had to listen to WLS with Larry Lujack and his "Animal Stories" . Always good for a laugh. I went to High School in Northeast Nebraska during the mid 60's. We listened to KOMA and if the atmosphere was correct, we could pick up the Little Rock station. Porsche73
I'm old enough, but the only radio I had needed to be close to pick any thing up. If I couldn't see the lights on the tower, I couldn't hear it....
Wolfman Jack worked at a radio station just over the Mexican border that had 250,000 watts, XERF 5 times what was allowed in the USA.
"WBAP, News Talk 820, serves the Dallas and Fort Worth, Texas area with news, sports, traffic and weather. The radio station signed on the air in 1922 with 10 watts of power, which amounted to the 1920's version of electronic string and coffee-can communication. WBAP soon became a more powerful station, becoming one of the few 50,000 watt, clear-channel stations in the United States. Today, according to an independent study, WBAP has the greatest daytime coverage of any radio station in America and as much coverage at night as any other U.S. radio station. In early 1923 the station became the first ever to broadcast a rodeo, the Fort Worth Stock Show and Rodeo. Other WBAP firsts include: the first radio station in the southwest to broadcast a baseball game and a football game, the first radio station in America with regularly scheduled newscasts, the first station to remote broadcasts by shortwave radio and the first individual station to send a war correspondent to Europe in the early days of World War II. Music was a major part of WBAP's programming from the beginning. Live, in-studio broadcasts were scheduled which featured musicians on WBAP such as The Light Crust Doughboys, The Sunshine Boys and Bewley's Chuck Wagon Gang. News has been a major WBAP commitment from the early years, and WBAP has been home to some of the best newsmen in America including regionally and nationally known journalists."
How's about Detroit's "the great voice of the Great Lakes" WJR 760?

405wcf
850 KOA, out of Denver. "The 50,000 watt blowtorch of the west!"
Hell, somebody musta put out the 'blowtorch'. Can't get it anymore where I used to.....
Many of the stations have gone to "Talk radio".
Originally Posted by wabigoon

absolutely. when the FM phenomenon entered the mktplace the whole venue began to shift.

talk radio now, not the rapid-fire DJ's of old.
I also remember "WLS, in Chicago!" and the songs played by Dick Biondi.......
Gus, when we get this old, we need to think it.[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by wabigoon

"Talk Radio" ranks right up there with the plagues of Egypt.
Originally Posted by Mannlicher

Are you sure that was not WBAP?
Not related to the OP, but in the early 70s an AM station in Juarez, Mexico was broadcasting with a tremendous amount of power at night. They billed themselves as "XEROK, X Rock 80." They'd crank it up at night and play the best underground rock of the day. Those were the days.
Originally Posted by RiverRider
Originally Posted by Mannlicher

Are you sure that was not WBAP?

Never mind, I think. It's been many years, but now that I think about it, I believe WBAP was an FM station. I do remember the Grease Man always talking about "high steppers," and WAPE is beginning to ring a very faint bell.
WBAP was AM 820 out of Ft. Worth. Bill Mack’s Open Road Show!
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
WBAP was AM 820 out of Ft. Worth. Bill Mack’s Open Road Show!

I need a tuneup. I listen to WBAP every freekin day in the truck. I was thinking WAIV. Nuther shot or two of vodka will fix me right up. Maybe.

[Linked Image]
River Rider! That certainly works for me! smile

Have a great evening.

What about KVOO out of Tulsa. We used to listen to it way down here.
IIRC - KOMA, WHO, AND KOA (out of Denver) were 100,000 watt stations. I don't remember if KOB (out of Albuquerque) was, but I think so.
WBAP gets here sometimes.
Cinci,
Louisville,
Boston,
New York,
Chicago,
Detroit,
Cleveland,
Nashville,
Richmond,
Atlanta
Can listen to those at night maybe more.

Pittsburgh and Philly, don't work real well? They are 100 and 200miles away.

Used to listen all the time at night, especially to WLW, in the truck.
Still do when driving late at night.

I like to find the old radio comedy (honeymooners type) shows.
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
"This is the 50,000 watt Clear Channel Voice of the Middle West WHO, Des Moines"

Border to border and coast to coast and then some.

kwg
I had forgotten WBAP and KVOO! smile
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
Still listen to one, KENI 650 in Anchorage.

Most nights it can be picked up down here on the tip of the AKPEN.
WKBW in Buffalo, NY, was one of the few radio stations that could send AM top-40 music into the valleys of west-central NH when I was a kid. Most of the radio dial was filled with static, as the background radiation from the granite pretty much wrecked every AM signal that passed.
I spent many a nights listening to WLS. Back then I thought AM was American music and FM was foreign music since we couldn't pick up any FM stations.
KOMA, Oklahoma City!!!!! 1520 on your AM dial!

Also KSL, 1160 Salt Lake, KOA 850 Denver, and KOB 770 Albuquerque.

We got X-Rock 80, from Mexico too something like "Ekis 880, Ocan, Juarez, Mexico" used to have commercials for "Banco de ComerMex"

KFI out of LA sometimes too (620?)
I think KOMA went to 100000 about 7 in the evening because we could get it in North Dakota at that time. It would go away about 7 in the morning. Ed k
Dr. Don Rose 610 KFRC-AM

Top 40 Music of my youth.

Hell yes! I was a kid in Atlanta in 1966, I had a transistor radio, I used to listen to AM 700 in Cincinnatti, came in clear as a bell.
I thought that was fascinating listening to a station from a state so far away, on the banks of the Ohio.

My buddy and I were up in Canada in the fall of 1992, we couldn't believe it but our Braves were in the playoffs. We drove through Minnesota at night, listening to the baseball on AM 750 out of Atlanta, great reception.
Originally Posted by FatCity67
Dr. Don Rose 610 KFRC-AM

Top 40 Music of my youth.

With that smirk and stylin' stash, am guessing either an OB-GYN or procto...
I have spent many a nite ..with AM radio...... Since my dad told me 40 years ago to ..SHUT THAT CHIT OFF.....
In the late sixties XERB , Wolfman Jack. 50,000 watts out of Rosarito, Mexico. All the way up the West Coast and beyond.
Used to do something called DX'ing...I believe.
After midnight and into the wee early morning hours would slow dial
my tube AM radio and pick up little iddy biddy station from across the US.
Mostly the Southwest...Texas...Oklahoma ...talking bout mostly nothing or Jesus.
You picked up the bounce of the radio signal and it was pretty hard to stay
tuned for any length of time. Not many stations broadcast in those early morning hours.
The powerhouse 50k stations had a pretty wide band and pretty much blocked
any other station from coming thru.
WLS 890 was my home station . Mebbe somebody in Havre Montana got a kick
out of listening to a Chicago station but it was boring to me
Wolfman Jack is a legend, but, I was in Atlanta in his heyday and never heard of him. I guess his signal didn 't make it to Atlanta.
I was born in Oklahoma City but moved to Wyoming when I was young and we were shocked to be able to listen to KOMA at night. We'd also get KFI out of Los Angeles, KOA out of Denver and KTWO out of Casper.
NO ONE listening to XERF Del Rio TX and 250,000 watt transmitter located in a town across the Rio Grande?
Google earth does not show any town in Mexico by the name where they claimed the transmitter was located.

Where I first heard the song about" I don't care if it rains or freezes long as . . ."

Yes, sorry kinda hijacked away from the 50,000 watters.

WSM made it to ABQ with the grand ol Opry.

KOB was 50,000, but "we" listened to KOMA . . . Oklahoma City.

Some nights KOMA faded in and out.

WLS made it in to vegas when I was there (Las Vegas NM that is)

1040 and 750 come in here evenings to early morning.

Heck LAPD could be found up around 170 some nights
in the 1980s I could get KOA Denver sometimes as far south as tucson, used to hear Alan Bird or Berg? He was a funny guy, long time radio guy. people would get on there and rant about the jews and he would give it right back to them . I think some guys waited for him at his house and shot him.
KOMA and the one in Laredo.
Originally Posted by Sycamore
in the 1980s I could get KOA Denver sometimes as far south as tucson, used to hear Alan Bird or Berg? He was a funny guy, long time radio guy. people would get on there and rant about the jews and he would give it right back to them . I think some guys waited for him at his house and shot him.

Alan Berg. Yeah he was assassinated by a group of neo-nazis that waited at his home and killed him in his driveway. He was a bit of a shock jock and let them Nazi bastards have it on air. And they killed him for it.
[quote=kaywoodie]Wasn’t the one in Del Rio the one that had the preacher that if you sent him $5 he’d send you a plastic dashboard Jesus with “glowing eyes" that would follow you anywhere in the dark??? laugh

I can still recall this after all these years......

“ This is your good neighbor along the way, Paul Kallinger , coming to you on station XERF in Del Rio Texas with transmitters in Ciudad Acuna, State of Coahuila, Republic of Mehico.”

George Gober did a hilarious skit about XERF and it’s sponsors.
Originally Posted by WyColoCowboy
Originally Posted by Sycamore

Alan Berg. Yeah he was assassinated by a group of neo-nazis that waited at his home and killed him in his driveway. He was a bit of a shock jock and let them Nazi bastards have it on air. And they killed him for it.

that was him. and there was a black guy who sounded white on the air, ken hamilton. there was restaurant show on sunday nights. a place that served wild game was always advertising.
Curdog4570

They also sold something guaranteed to kill cockroaches.
A bud of my brother's at NMSU had a spare $4.95 and sent for the kit.
The sent two of those slats from the old vegetable/fruit crates.
Instructions were to get the cockroach on one slat and smack with the other.
I'm thinkin they may have sold some of the "dancin girls" that went on the dash/sundeck also.

Those were the days my friends!

Anyone know how to spell the name of the town where they claimed the transmitter was located.

I just started typing the name in my original post and none of the ways I tried seemed to fit, and did not find anything on google earth that looked right!
Remember Wolfman Jack om XERB as a teen

http://www.xerbradio.com/
kyno "boss radio" in fresno ca. started with 1000 watts, up to 5000 watts now.
used to get Wolfman Jack on clear nights if you held your radio just right and stood on one foot!
Early ‘fifties, the town across the river from Del Rio, where the transmitter was located, was called “ Villa Acuna”. ( Village)

Then, as it got larger, its name became Ciudad Acuna. ( City)

It is still there, but Cartel activity is heavy.
Originally Posted by RS308MX
WGY Schenectady, NY.

+1
WGN, WAPE, WOWO,WLS, from the sticks of SE Georgia..
The days when we could hear the AM radio baseball playoffs in hunt camp are gone. Now a few high power stations are NFL or Basketball. No baseball anymore. Down Right Anti American I say.
XERB for rock & roll and XTRA for elevator music (dad's station).
Originally Posted by deltakid
KOMA from Oklahoma City. We started getting it just a little before sundown in western Colorado, sometimes could even pick it up during the day.

We listened to it up by the Canadian border. I can still hear their jingle in my head.
© 24hourcampfire