Home
After 32 years, my first day of retirement will be here at the end of the summer. Two weeks later, archery season starts. Figured that I can do lots of thinking from a tree stand.
That sounds perfect! Good luck!

I have 19 months and 4 days to figure out how to spend my first day! but who's counting smile
What did you do the first day you retired from your job?
Well, first I didn't go to work.
I retire this year on Friday 16 Nov and will be hunting the opening day of Oklahoma deer gun season on Saturday 17 Nov, my birthday.
I retired in August, '13. I spent the morning looking at the house where there wasn't a deck. Now there is.
Went fishing. Hasbeen
I guest when I had my auction for the farm would problably count as my first official. Wasn't a good time to sell. That evening I drank most of a bottle of crown royal and got over the shock. Have not regretted quitting ever since. Ed k
33 more weeks and I will let you know. It ain’t gonna start before 8:00 in the morning. That’s for damn sure!!!!
I retired 16 months ago. It was on a Thursday. Friday morning I started driving to Rigby, Id. to visit a buddy and look around.
Stayed for a couple of weeks and CHILLED after working my ass off for all those years. Been back four times and I'm going back at the end of June. It was the most pleasant of drives once I got past Vegas. That's what I did my first day of retirement.
Many would call me lazy but I began hauling hay for a cent and a half per bale at 13. I remember vividly, hauling 700 bales, of which most went into a loft. I got $10.50 and thought I was rich. My first real money. I then worked for service stations and got a raise to 25cents an hour till I graduated. Worked two jobs and took 6-8 hours per semester at the U of Texas year round. Took me 6 years but finally graduated w/BS in 1978. Worked in education as a teacher, coach and administrator for 35 years. The day after I retired I told my wife I was going to rest...and I did. powdr

P. S. I remember when I was a senior in high school there was a new kind of jeans called hop sack. They were in green, brown, gold and blue. They were soft and had a trimmer fit. I told my Dad I wanted some of these new colored jeans for school. They were about 2 times the price of Levi's. My Dad said my money buys Levi's...your money buys hop sack.
I like the Rigby area. Spent a fair amount of time in the area. My father was born 1936 in Sugar City. Log House. Did not have a birth certificate until he was 40 years old. I love fishing on the Henry's Fork of the Snake river.

Would be a great place to retire IMHO
Slept until 8. Sat on my ass and drank coffee til 11. Don't remember much after that.
I came walkin' into the bedroom at 3:30 AM,....announced "fuggit!",...and began my going to bed routine.

My wife had already been asleep for several hours and she roused,..grunted,..and asked "huh?"

"Fuggit!",..I announce again. She rolled over and went back to sleep.

Actually,..I didn't realize that I had retired. I just thought that my bullshit level had been reached for about the 47th time. Since then I've learned that the 47th bullshit level means that you're retired.

Some people plan for years about how they're going to retire,...make a list,...invest in this and that,....consult people who's job it is to be consulted on such matters. Make plans to live to age 104 with houses north, south, east, and west.

Toolmakers just get old and say "fuggit".

It really don't matter.

You can make plans 'till the cows come home,...or one day you can just say "fuggit".

Either way,...you're going to be found face down in a bowl of Raisin Bran one morning and that's gonna be it.

I prefer the fuggit method. It's less complicated and it doesn't require consulting a consultant.

I planted Tamaters today.
,.....it just rained on 'em,.......life is good.
First day i retired i mowed my 8 acre lawn. Owned 8 acres of woods behind the house too. Second day i hooked the brush hog up to the tractor and cleared a half circle path through the woods. Made it easier to get the 4 wheeler in there to drag a deer out.
I can't wait.
My first day of retirement was spent in the hospital in traction,i was hit by an I beam,left foot shattered,both knees blown out.that was my last day.i haven t worked since.was a helluva way to retire.
What did you do the first day you retired from your job?

Started my "retirement business".. whistle

After about 4 or 5 years now, I may take a vacation one day... laugh
I've looked forward for it so long,...now I don't believe it's going to be possible .
Scrambled around for 2 days to get a few things done before I started my new job. I retired from corrections March 1rst 2013 and started up here on the slope March 4th.
Went hunting.
On the 1st day I packed, on the 2nd day I started a 2 week road trip that lasted 59 days.

mike r
You guys are really making me jealous. I've got 10 more years of real work left, and then I can just do what I want. I see my self getting a part time job working in a bait shop, or a gun shop somewhere. 'Can't imagine a better way to make a few bucks, stay a bit active, and meet some nice folks.
My last day of work was a Friday. Saturday was not much different than usual; the big difference was Sunday evening, knowing I didn't have to go to work the next morning. I had worked for the same company for thirty-nine years, through four different ownerships. The last one made it easy to decide to retire.
I retired in September 2009. Can't remember what I did my first day. But now I have a hard time remembering ever having worked. All by buds tell me they want to be just like me when they retire. I tell them to keep working, somebody got to pay into Social Security.
I am two weeks away from my third year of retirement though the company gave me six weeks of paid vacation as a "thank you for your service". Add that to the three weeks of vacation I had in the bank I was done long before I retired. I recall arriving home from Korea and taking my wife out for breakfast the following morning. I think I tinkered with my car for most of the day.
Waited for the fog to lift so the airplane could land and take me away. Yesterday. I'm still here.

Last Sunday was my first work day off. This time. Packed and cleaned rental apartment, ditto Monday.

Maybe tomorrow.... no rush - I'm retired! (retard?). Again. I'm reading and funning with you guys today - AK Air remade my reservation for tomorrow morning.

Ha! There's the cargo plane now. Reckon my household stuff and 4-wheeler will be there when I get there. Whenever....

The last time I retired, I moved 600 miles north to above the Arctic Circle (didn't get the memo about moving south....), for "1-3 years" - in 2010 ... found a "20 hour per week" job so I could hunt/fish a lot. It was 3 years before I got moved to "full time" around 50 hours a week, down about 30...... As "half-time" I was the go to guy for mandatory "junioring" for planned vacations and no-shows on a crew already short staffed (all 6 "full-time positions" were filled the first 3 years, until attrition of more senior guys moved me up to where I could select a full time shift).

I ain't getting no stinkin job this time- I have too much backlog on the permanent residence house, garage, and yard to catch up on after 8 years vacant, except for "visits" every few weekends. Amazing what can go wrong/ need fixing in a place not occupied!

And that doesn't count what my wife has planned!

I need to start walking and running - 8 years on butt, (except for work) at literally sea level ain't gonna cut it on fall goat permit and Colorado OTC or possibly son's permit elk hunts. Even so, they are gonna hurt! smile smile smile

But then, I'm not planning on running the buggers down, either, and have no time constraints for a change. I can go slow, breath, take two steps, breath..... stop and camp, breath..... smile.

And get a dog!!!! Or two. I'm in a 2 year deficit there.

Have you seen those forms one has to fill out for "Adoptions" from the rescue places? Sheesh- 3 references? I don't know that many people that like me..... other than dogs - who generally lack cell phones. smile
Had minor surgery done on my knee the first day of retirement. 10 weeks later I officially retired and tried straightening the basement but gave up. 6 weeks after that I picked up a part time job and have been working every day. The wife retires the end of this month and she is not happy with me working.
Day One: Ate til I was tired, then slept til I was hungry.
Day Two: Got up early and started on 'The List".
I retired 2 days before I turned 66. My last day was a Thursday because I didn't have any work scheduled for Friday. Long weekend followed . . . my birthday on Saturday, Sunday was New Year's Eve followed by New Year's Day. Friday I woke up about 8:00 AM and spent the first couple hours chatting with my bride and drinking coffee. Then I spent the rest of the day wondering "now what?". Kept waiting for the phone to ring and being asked frantically to get this or that done by 5:00. Call never came and I can honestly say I don't mind . . . anymore. I really liked what I did and was pretty good at it, but after 43 years, I needed a break.
Woke up, hit the head and went back to bed to sleep another hour.
I was convinced I was gonna sleep late the rest of my days...

Boy, was I wrong.
took my wife in for a big operation. retirement was forced by her health. still dealing with doctors, hospitals, rehab. so much for the plans of fishing, hunting, and even picnicking.

I started working on a remodel of the house I was going to sell so I could move to Idaho. I love that kind of work. Came out nice, too. I bought one more for a flip when I got to Idaho. Doing some real estate, and have some rentals. I like real estate. Most days I sleep till about 8;30. Don't go to bead till midnight. I don't do a lot anymore. I think I was made for retirement. laugh
Last Tuesday my old boss brought his wife with him to his retirement lunch, at work.
Their motor home was in the parking lot.
When they were done with the stupid retirement stories, pictures...
they got in the RV, and headed to Holland Mi. to look at the tulips.
Originally Posted by kennyd
took my wife in for a big operation. retirement was forced by her health. still dealing with doctors, hospitals, rehab. so much for the plans of fishing, hunting, and even picnicking.

I truly wish your wife the very best. She has a good man taking care of her and I know she would do the same. God bless.
My last day of work finished with a wrap up report in a town 60 miles from home. Took my wife along to the town, took her out to dinner, hit a motel a block away and the next morning we kept driving till we hit the beach in Oregon. Stayed a few days, came home for a few days and went to the west coast of Vancouver Island to walk on more sand and salmon fish a little.

I miss the camaraderie of my work team (I ended with a good one) but nothing else. There are more good things to do than I have time to do them.
I rested-- been resting since

remember it well.......my last day was 11/28/11.........

the next day or so......I built an entrance into my 'back 40'......

meaning 4 RR ties......2 heavy 10' foot gate panels...

along with the fencing to go with it......

I had lots more ambition back then..........
When shooting then a bit of fishing...
I packed and moved to my new home. From concrete, sirens, and traffic noise to crickets, wind, and birds. When I arrived there were two fawns standing off the back deck. Best decision I ever made. The job was killing me.
Started working in the mining industry in N. Idaho in 1972 and travelled through Idaho, Montana, Nevada, Arizona, and California working at different mines. Pulled the plug December 17th 2015 and relocated from Arizona to St. Regis Montana to hunt, fish and golf. Unfortunately I made the crazy decision to purchase a small convenience/liquor/gas station and went from working 40 to 50 hours per week to working 60 to 80 hours per week for 25% of the money. Those hours cut very deeply into the hunting/fishing/golf time. But now I have cut my hours back and am enjoying the store, and have also received an FFL and am able to sell guns, which is also one of my passions. So LIFE IS GOOD.

Bart
I started a new career.
Originally Posted by ltppowell
I started a new career.

Funny, I did to. Retirement, best career move I ever made. Stoked.
Never know if you never go.
No idea, it's all a blur. From 6 months out, I bought a house 500 miles away, got married, moved, dealt with her uncle's death and Bart's dad's death (day of my wedding).

I'm pretty sure my actual 1st day was not doing a damn thing. I'm still not caught up on that.
To go further, we had a small group of people at our wedding. Bart was there and his dad died the day of our wedding. Her uncle a few days later. Her friend lost a kidney to cancer a year later. The last time anyone talked to her dad was on our 2nd Anniversary and he died 8 days later. Another friend of ours that helped with the wedding was dead less than 2 years later at age 40. Another got divorced and has Parkinson's and my mother died 18 months later.

All of the above occurred within the first 2 years of retirement, along with the move, wedding and buying a new house. There was one other thing, but I ain't sharing that one, though a few know about it.

So in short, I would like to invite JeffO and Paddler next year when we renew our vows.

After 29 years in the military and always moving, I was ready to stay put.I still am.
Got up the next morning and drove to Alabama for a January deer hunt. That was two years and four months ago. Since then...

July 2016, fishing in Atikokan, Ontario
Aug. 2016, fishing in Sioux Lookout, Ontario
Fall 2016, deer hunt at home
Nov. 2016, mule deer in CO
Dec. 2016, whitetail in KS
Feb. 2017, fish the Gulf in MS
April 2017, fish crappie in Grenada, MS
July 2017, back to Atikokan
Oct. 2017, moose in the Yukon
Nov. 2017, mule deer in WY and deer at home
Dec. 2017, deer in KS again
Feb. 2018, surgery for prostate cancer because it can't all be fun and games.

Still ahead this year, two fishing trips in Ontario, deer in SE MT, deer at home and deer in KS.
Originally Posted by kennyd

Prayers for your wife's recovery.
Originally Posted by 54Woody
Got up the next morning and drove to Alabama for a January deer hunt. That was two years and four months ago. Since then...

July 2016, fishing in Atikokan, Ontario
Aug. 2016, fishing in Sioux Lookout, Ontario
Fall 2016, deer hunt at home
Nov. 2016, mule deer in CO
Dec. 2016, whitetail in KS
Feb. 2017, fish the Gulf in MS
April 2017, fish crappie in Grenada, MS
July 2017, back to Atikokan
Oct. 2017, moose in the Yukon
Nov. 2017, mule deer in WY and deer at home
Dec. 2017, deer in KS again
Feb. 2018, surgery for prostate cancer because it can't all be fun and games.

Still ahead this year, two fishing trips in Ontario, deer in SE MT, deer at home and deer in KS.

Where in Ontario do you go? Lodge/cabin/boat rental place?

Always wanted to go to Canada and fish for Yankee fish.
Dood...one of your best parts is a Gulf Coast guide and you wanna catch jackfish and perch?
my plan is to go to my camp and stay there all summer except to come home and mow once in a while. 6 years this month, god willing.
Dood...one of your best parts is a Gulf Coast guide and you wanna catch jackfish and perch?

Once. You know how life is.

I do miss me some reds and specks. I really hate freshwater fishing, except for trout and steelhead.

I posted this back in 2015 in the elk forum. My last official day of work was October 1, 2015. I took two sick days on 9/29-30 and journeyed out to NM where I shot a 6x6 bull on my last official day of work...about the time I'd be heading home for the day. Best day of my life!

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...ice-bull-on-my-official-las#Post10544520

[Linked Image]
Never know if you never go.

What was your new career? Not being a dick, just want to know.
Guiding Fishermen. It's easy. You just say "Cast over there. " and net their fish. Lol
It's been 22 months and 15 days - damned if I remember. grin
Caught a helicopter ride in from an offshore platform and drove to the head office downtown. Turned in my laptop and phone and went fishing after having lunch with my wife.
Good stories, every damn one of them. I've got so many things I've put off that I can't wait to start doing. I'll probably die before that day arrives.
I retired 8 years ago. Came home from work, RN Heart transplant Coordinator, Told my wife I gave them 2 weeks notice that I am retiring. Of course she said WTF are you thinking? I and she have not regretted it one minute. Fishing, hunting, camping, and doing what ever I/we want to do and when ever.

This is my first post so ya...GFY
In some cases, retiring means not dying. I have two full time jobs now and still consider myself retired. Life is good.
Retired Dec 31, 2017. I’m building a 25 by 40 shop, hiking, and riding my mountain bike a lot. What day is it anyway?
It was over 24 years ago so I can't remember what I did on the first day.

Jim
Originally Posted by Rhomer
I retired 8 years ago. Came home from work, RN Heart transplant Coordinator, Told my wife I gave them 2 weeks notice that I am retiring. Of course she said WTF are you thinking? I and she have not regretted it one minute. Fishing, hunting, camping, and doing what ever I/we want to do and when ever.

This is my first post so ya...GFY

Well, you've been retired for 8 years so there was no reason to be in a hurry to add to the conversation, right?

Welcome

Geno

PS, retired end of June last, probably drove "home" from the job up north. I've been relaxing mostly with enough work around the place to keep my back and knee doctors happy.
Retired September 28 2014, deer hunting started on September 30th. Drove to camp on the 29th! Just stay two arm's length away from the refrigerator. Stay busy life's better retired!
Just don't sit on your butt, that'll kill ya. Voice of experience.
Not a damm thing.
And i did it the next few as well. grin

I had fun .
i retired last monday. got sick of the abusive son of a bitch i worked for and tossed my key thru the mail slot along with a letter explaining his shortcomings. got all set waiting on my gold watch but then the wife pointed out that i am 37 and we will swiftly run out of money should i choose not to return to the work world.

so i am looking again and trying to find someone who isn't a selfish corrupt son of a bitch, to work for.
Started figuring out how to kill a day. That took a year to learn. Bet it works out differently if you have the money part handled...
Moved to a direct lakeshore property on March 1 and retired from my 34 year corporate job on March 27. That was 16 years ago. Fish or hunt and work on my property every day. No time for a job.
Originally Posted by bobg
First day i retired i mowed my 8 acre lawn. Owned 8 acres of woods behind the house too. Second day i hooked the brush hog up to the tractor and cleared a half circle path through the woods. Made it easier to get the 4 wheeler in there to drag a deer out.
What is this thing you call "retired"???
I'm currently retired on the job. I don't do anyting I don't want to do. I'll be here drawing a check until 8/2020. My most strenuous activity is making sure I have enough Iced Tea to last me until quitting time.
I can't remember. Probably had a beer. 20 years ago.
I retired on a Thursday which was the end of my work week. Duck hunted Friday and Saturday. Watched football Sunday. Started deer hunting Monday.

Got a call a couple of months later from the chief engineer of a gun manufacturer asking me to work for him test shooting project guns the engineering department came up with. Since then I re-retire on an as-needed basis.
Got up at 4:30 and made a pot of coffee. Went to the gym to workout for an hour. Came home and sat in the shop door to watch the sunrise and to finish that pot of coffee. Most of the first year I cleaned out and reorganized stuff. The shop, storage room, attic, loading room, my closet and smelted about 1000# of wheel weights into ingots. Sorted gallons and gallons of brass and sorted and tumbled it. Now days, I take care of a 220 acre fish farm turned duck club, host a early Fall Dove hunt that requires some farm work on 10 acres, shoot, cast, reload as much as possible, hunt, fish a little, travel some and drink beer. I help a farmer buddy several weeks during the year, mostly at planting and harvest time. And Grandkids! We try to attend most of their school functions, ball games and gymnastic meets! At night when a thunderstorm rolls through I roll over in bed, say a quick prayer for the Guys that are doing the job that I did for 34 years and go back to sleep. I'm battling MS so I've slowed down a bit but I try to stay as active as possible.
April 10th 2006 was medically retired from the Canadian Armed Forces after 26 years. Spent 2 years on disability fighting for benefits. 2008 went back to work and for the last 10 years this month, have worked 12hrs 4 on 4 off at a job I despise. Only 2-3 more years and I walk away from it all!
Getting drunk seems an appropriate thing to consider!!!!
I got a haircut. I wish it was more exciting than that, but that's it.

What happened was that the day before, I'd been to see the lawyer to update my will and then to the accountant. In both instances, they'd both asked me why I hadn't considered retiring. I thought about it over night, and I announced to KYHillChick that there was no reason not to do so.

I had breakfast and went to the barber shop. My barber was the first person outside of the 'Chick to hear my news.

That was NOV 1. On NOV 17 I was up in my treestand, deer hunting. By this time I'd already filled my buck tag and was just looking for some freezer fillers. I'd been deer hunting ever since my trip to the barber shop. I got a phone call from a head hunter. We'd talked once back in July. I thought she'd forgotten me. She said she had gig lined up if I wanted it.

So much for retirement.
Really got going on a major reno to the house which ended up taking 18 months working 7 days a week. Plan was for my wife to work a few more years to pay for the reno, but that fell apart after a short discussion one sunday morning several months later! Better to have time than money though! Coming up 8 years now and no regrets on leaving the last job, it was not a lot of fun!
I hate this thread...
When I was a young apprentice in the early seventies, I worked with an old plumber. He told me if you quit, get fired, laid off or whatever the reason to terminate your employment. He said when you pull out, you should turn wave, and say” adios muther fuuckers”. I plan on doing that in 33 weeks. Adios you muther fuuuckers
© 24hourcampfire