Home
Posted By: hanco Greatest all time quarterback - 05/17/18
They hash this out all the time on talk radio here.

What’s you top 5??
1. Brady
2. Montana
3. Fuuck if I know

Not that it matters
Whoever he was (or is) he's a Packer.
Posted By: Gus Re: Greatest all time quarterback - 05/17/18
i'm getting too old to remember much.

but, i'll nominate roger staubach, and also joe montana. i'm sure there'll be other equally good ones nominated.
I agree with Rocky,

Bart Star
Bret Farve
Aaron Rodgers
Jay Cutler
Peyton, only QB to get rings with 2 different teams
Originally Posted by deflave
Jay Cutler

Never saw that coming smile
Brett Favre, maybe Terry Bradshaw.
With all the rule changes, it’s hard to say. Line backers and DB’s have be nice to receivers. Not like the olds where the layed them out from the line on. Makes a QB life easier. Hasbeen
Roger Staubach was pretty good.
Greg Cook.

Too bad he got injured in his first year. The Bengals were off to a 3-0 start in 1969.

Greg died in 1969. He used to hang out at a bar down in the West End I occasionally visited. It was close to where he worked at UPS. He was a heck of a nice guy. He died of pneumonia in 2012.
Jay Cutler

Low hanging fruit
Originally Posted by shaman
Greg Cook.

Too bad he got injured in his first year. The Bengals were off to a 3-0 start in 1969.

Greg died in 1969. He used to hang out at a bar down in the West End I occasionally visited. It was close to where he worked at UPS. He was a heck of a nice guy. He died of pneumonia in 2012.

He was an amazing talent whose career was cut short. It would have been interesting to see what he would have done had he been around for a normal career.

Different eras required different skill sets. For me, back when the game was at the zenith of its development, it was Unitas.
I am not a football guy but...

Steve Young

John Elway

Brett Favre

They all had pretty good receivers. However, John Elway could really play the game if the game was on the line and it was the 2 minute warning.
Being a Broncos homer I am going to say John Elway deserves a spot in the top three. If he wasn’t saddled with Dan Reeves and his overly conservative offensisve scheme for the majority of his career things would have been better. He took three teams to the Superbowl that would not have been even close to making it without him.
Posted By: BLG Re: Greatest all time quarterback - 05/17/18
Hands down Drew Brees. Has only 1 super bowl ring, but the NFL records he holds may never be broken.

Yeah,,,,I'm a little bit of a homer, but compare stats, and it's a no brainer.

Clyde

1. Most 5,000-yard passing seasons: 5 (2008, 2011-13, 2016)

Other NFL quarterbacks have combined for four all-time. Peyton Manning, Dan Marino, Tom Brady and Matthew Stafford each have one. In 2017, Brees finished fourth in the league at 4,334 yards, but he has led the NFL in passing seven times, also a record.

2. Consecutive 4,000-yard passing seasons: 12 (2006-17)

Stafford and Matt Ryan are second all-time with seven. Ryan and Stafford's streaks also are ongoing.

Not only does Brees have 12 consecutive 4,000-yard seasons, he has 12 consecutive 4,300-yard seasons. Ryan has the second-longest streak at five, and Philip Rivers has the second-longest current run at three seasons.

3. Completion percentage for a career: 66.9

Chad Pennington is second at 66 percent and Kurt Warner third at 65.5. Brees broke Sam Bradford's single-season record (71.6) for completion percentage this season at 72 percent, and he now has three of the four most accurate seasons (2011, 71.2, third; 2009, 70.6, fourth).

4. Most completions in a single season: 471 (2016)

This season, Brees had the third-lowest completion total of his Saints career with 386, but still led the NFL in the category for the sixth time. Brees also is second all-time (468, 2011), third (456, 2014), sixth (448, 2010), seventh (446, 2013) and eighth (440, 2007). Manning is fourth at 450 (2010, 2013).
5. Consecutive games with a touchdown pass: 54 (2009-12)

No quarterback ended this season with a streak of at least 25 games. It's worth noting that Manning had a 51-game streak snapped in 2014 by the Rams, and Brady had a 52-game run ended in 2013 by the Bengals.
6. Consecutive games with 300 yards passing: 9 (2011-12; 2012-13)

Brees is tied with himself for this record. Andrew Luck has the second-longest run at eight games (2014), and Jameis Winston is the only QB with an active streak of two games.
7. Consecutive games with at least 20 completions: 57 (2009-13)

The longest current streak is held by Joe Flacco at eight, and Brees is second at seven. Brees also has the second- and third-longest streaks in NFL history (30, 2015-17; 21, 2013-14), and he has the record for most in a row at home (66 and counting).
8. Most consecutive attempts in the playoffs without an interception: 226 (includes five straight games from the 2009 season to the 2011 season)

The next most ever is Flacco at 197, and the longest-current streak is Ryan at 113.
9. Consecutive seasons with at least 30 touchdown passes: 9 (2008-16)

Brett Favre has the second-longest run at five seasons from 1994-98. There is not a current streak on this one as no signal-caller had 30 scoring throws in both 2016 and 2017.
Bonus: Most passing yards in a single season -- regular season plus postseason: 6,404 (2011)

Peyton Manning broke Brees' record for most yards in a season four years ago by one yard (5,477 to 5,476). But Brees threw for more yards in two playoff games in 2011 than Manning did in three playoff games in 2013. Manning finished with 6,387 combined passing yards that season. (This is not recognized as an official NFL record, as the league keeps regular-season and postseason statistics separate.)
Posted By: djs Re: Greatest all time quarterback - 05/17/18
My selection is Johnny Unitas.+
Brady
Montana
Bradshaw
Johny U
Manning/Elway/Favre/Rodgers
:-)
Greatest QB who never won a Super Bowl was Dan Marino. Too Bad the Dolphins never surrounded him with a real team.
Favre was the most exciting qb ever...but his boneheaded decisions knock him out of the top five.

Brady
Montana
Manning
Rodgers
Brees (maybe)

Otto Graham..... 10 years, 10 championships.....

These threads are always entertaining.

Whatever measure of a "great" QB, has to be modified by their O-line, receivers, and backs.

Great QBs have team players that help to make them so.
Originally Posted by ironbender

Whatever measure of a "great" QB, has to be modified by their O-line, receivers, and backs.

And the rules of the game at the time. These days the QB's don't have to worry about Dick Butkus coming a them.
Posted By: prm Re: Greatest all time quarterback - 05/17/18
Elway and Brady find ways to win. Not always winners of the stats, but they'd find a way to win. Dan Fouts wasn't bad, same with Merino, huge numbers but didn't always win. Obviously its a team sport though and its hard to draw the line.
Back in the day really enjoyed watching Kenny Stabler and Fran Tarkenton....
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Roger Staubach was pretty good.

yep
Elway, Eli, and as much as I hate to say it; Brady
DJS has it right Johnny U
Tark and Kelly we better than Marino when comparing QB who didn't win a SB
Fouts was pretty special as well--saw him in person
Trivia quiz
of all the QB's from the big 3 college schools in Florida who was the only one to win a SB?
Brad Johnson
Originally Posted by 5sdad

Different eras required different skill sets. For me, back when the game was at the zenith of its development, it was Unitas.

No doubt. The game has changed considerably.
COLIN PECKERDICK. He is truly the best!!!!! He exposed the NFL for what it really is. NHL for me!!!!! They stand, some even sing along. No comparison in athleticism.

Take care, Willie

Does Greise have a spot?
Colin Kaepernick
Originally Posted by kalbrecht
I agree with Rocky,

Bart Star
Bret Farve
Aaron Rodgers
. THIS!!!!!
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
Colin Kaepernick

Yer just trouble, Mister!
smile
[quote=deflaveGay Quitter. There I fixed this for you
Originally Posted by Whelenman
[quote=deflaveGay Quitter. There is fixed this for you

Translation?
Originally Posted by mathman

And the rules of the game at the time. These days the QB's don't have to worry about Dick Butkus coming a them.

Got that right. Randy White was another one. Beasts.

Translation?

Gay as in Gay Quitter as in Quitter
Posted By: CCCC Re: Greatest all time quarterback - 05/17/18
Maybe Sammy Baugh, maybe Otto Graham, maybe Sid Luckman. True QBs.
Y A Title
Johnny U
Terry Bradshaw
Roman Gabriel
Roger Staubach
Originally Posted by 338Rem
Jay Cutler

Low hanging fruit

Did he play in the US?
Brady for sure, not even close and I don't even like Brady. Followed by P Manning, Favre, Elway, and Montana in no certain order.
Originally Posted by djs

Mine, too!
Joe Kapp for pure entertainment value
Archie Manning.

He has to be the fastest guy to play the position grin.

Brett Farve

Johnny U

And cannot forget Joe Montana.

There have been so many that have plated over the years that it might better to list them by the eras they played.
Wish we could have seen Archie Manning play on a decent team.

In football, I don't think any QB stands out the way Gretzky does in hockey nor Jordan in basketball. Had Bo Jackson played QB this might be an easier question. laugh
Hard to figure the best. Before 78 they played 14 games. 2 more games can help a Qbs record. Best passer i ever saw was Joe Namath before he was crippled. His passes couldnt be defended if the defender wasnt standing on the recievers toes.

One of the greatest upsets in football history-the Guarantee. Never before had an AFL team been a real contender against the real Professionals -football teams of the NFL. Bear Bryant said Joe Namath was the greatest athlete he had ever known.

Originally Posted by FieldGrade
Colin Kaepernick

Yer just trouble, Mister!
smile

What?
A LOT of good ones have played the game. But, if I had to pick one in the clutch, Staubach.
Montana
Brady
Unitas

In that order bar none.

After Brady retires he might take the number one spot.
[quote=deflaveGay Quitter. There I fixed this for you

Bang up job.

Translation?

Gay as in Gay Quitter as in Quitter

Is english your second language, or do you just get drunk earlier than most?

Not judging regardless.
Originally Posted by FatCity67
Montana
Brady
Unitas

In that order bar none.

Might?

Get real.
Originally Posted by FatCity67
Montana
Brady
Unitas
In that order bar none.

Might?
Get real.

Let a man have his illusions.

And GFY a nice day.

grin
As a Giants fan I hate to say it, but Tom Brady hands down!
If you go by SB trophies it's pretty easy, Brady, Montana, Bradshaw

if you go on sheer talent and discount the team they had around them it gets tougher.

that's I guess when Cutler comes bubbling to the top for Clark (roll eyes here)

Marino was damn good, but there's no way I could rank em.

Farve was one of my faves cause it seems for the last 20 years or so you have a bunch of QB's playing football. Farve always struck me as a guy playing football at the QB position.
Best of my time;
Peyton Manning
Brady
Montana
Originally Posted by Sako76
As a Giants fan I hate to say it, but Tom Brady hands down!

Im guessing i would have to say in modern football no one else has been his equal.
Depending on which stats are most important to you there are lots of candidates. It is really hard to compare old school QB's with modern QB's because the game has changed so much. As great as some of those guys were prior to the 1990's the QB was just one of 11 players on the field. The position has become so important at the pro level now that a team simply cannot compete without a top tier QB. And with 32 teams there are only about 20 top tier QB's in the league.

Bradshaw wasn't great,but played on great teams. But I still like him.

Elway, Montana, and Young are in the conversation. Young is often forgotten, but he may be better than Montana.

Peyton Manning changed the modern game with his ability to read defenses and audible. He wasn't the most gifted with talent, but the most cerebral. He was truly a coach on the field.

I can't decide if Bill Belichick is a great coach because of Brady, or if Bilichick makes Brady look great as a QB. But Brady is a contender, probably the GOAT.

I enjoyed watching Favre the most. He was an iron man from the old school who played a long career, and played hurt a lot. He probably played at least 1 year too long, but I've got a lot of respect for his toughness.
Originally Posted by prm
Elway and Brady find ways to win. Not always winners of the stats, but they'd find a way to win. Dan Fouts wasn't bad, same with Merino, huge numbers but didn't always win. Obviously its a team sport though and its hard to draw the line.

Can't disagree with this.

Personally, in my biased opinion, I give the nod to Elway. In addition to being a great quarter back, he's also shown great ability in the front office.

Peyton Manning still holds the title for greatest NFL Pitchman and greatest NFL Class Act.
Originally Posted by tdbob

Also beaten in Super Bowl by Seahawks like 231-0.
Brady (not a fan but let's face it.......... he just wins championships)
Montana is a close second.
Everyone else is a distant third.
Tim Tebow
Hi guys, Im new to the fire, been lurking an watching whats going on lol But after reading this thread I hadta join! I cant believe Yall, Its gotta be AL BUNDY, after that brady, who else in the salary cap era has done what hes done with recievers nobody knows,or remembers, then ya gotta nod towards rodgers an brees, before salary cap, montana and namath,,
Welcome to the 'fire! Watch your hat, and coat, this can be a tough crowd at times. laugh
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Welcome to the 'fire! Watch your hat, and coat, this can be a tough crowd at times. laugh

Oh, this is mighty true. Step on toes, go libtard nuts or, well, he'll see. Wrong move, could get steam rolled. Nice place here, tho.
Welcome.
I'll wait to ask about beans in chili.
LMAO! Yeah, that could start a conflict. And I ain't answering!
Broadway Joe is the greatest ever, because he was the greatest underdog whose mouth was unstoppable!
Originally Posted by tdbob

So that beats Brady with 5 rings?
Bradshaw
Originally Posted by wabigoon
I'll wait to ask about beans in chili.

I thought that is was beans in whiskey and ice in chili. grin
Posted By: add Re: Greatest all time quarterback - 05/18/18
lol

It ain't Namath.
Terry Bradshaw
Joe Montana
John Elway
Dan Marino
Brett Favre
I remember him in black and white in 1959, with his high topped shoes, Johnny Unitas!!
Posted By: add Re: Greatest all time quarterback - 05/18/18
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
Terry Bradshaw
Joe Montana
John Elway
Dan Marino
Brett Favre

A Top 5 and no Brady?

Good luck even filling your gas tank...
Originally Posted by kalbrecht
I agree with Rocky,

Bart Star
Bret Farve
Aaron Rodgers

Can't argue with that.

Would give Brady honorable mention.
Roger Staubach
Jim McMahon
I saw Roger Staubach play in the Cotton bowl in 1964. Navy lost 28 to 6.
Originally Posted by ol_mike

reminds of my brother, starting QB,strong safety started on both offense and defense, all state first team 5A player but couldn't cut it in college ball.
Decidedly bias, but the wife has season tickets so I've watched Rocky's picks from the stadium. Star was the class act locally and did a lot of great charitable work. Favre was way tougher and seemed to enjoy playing the game the most. Rodgers is smarter, but we have lost some good receivers that made him look better. I live one house away from Brett's former house and people still file by to see it. It just came up for sale again. I'm saying Brett was the most exciting to watch on the field and off. He had some issues with the locals and Dianna got mad at him and at times put his stuff out on the street for a neighborhood memorabilia frenzy they tell me.
Originally Posted by Higbean
Jim McMahon

Seen him lately? Vegematic.

Too many blows to the noggin.
Originally Posted by add
Terry Bradshaw
Joe Montana
John Elway
Dan Marino
Brett Favre

A Top 5 and no Brady?

How well would Brady have done with the Cleveland Browns and with no defense ?
The people of green bay should be outraged the way the packers have wasted Aaron rodgers, to have a talent like that an piss him away by not getting him better support is nothing short of crimminal,IMO Russle wilson is one of the better talents out the also, Warren Moon was also great but not the greatest ever,, CHILI? I like it with or without beans lol
Posted By: AMRA Re: Greatest all time quarterback - 05/18/18
Brett Favre
Has anybody said Brett Favre???
Posted By: add Re: Greatest all time quarterback - 05/21/18
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Originally Posted by add
Terry Bradshaw
Joe Montana
John Elway
Dan Marino
Brett Favre

A Top 5 and no Brady?

How well would Brady have done with the Cleveland Browns and with no defense ?

Which among the above succeeded on a Browns-type team?
Archie Manning was probably the best qb that played on a continually crap team.

He could throw with the best but unlike his boys he was also a great runner.
Posted By: DMc Re: Greatest all time quarterback - 05/21/18
Davey O'Brien

DMc
Craig Morton
Ryan Leaf
Warren Moon..........

Greycups

Freaking

Yeah!
In my lifetime...
In no particular order

Peyton Manning
John Elway
Drew Brees
Joe Montana
Brett Farve
Aaron Rodgers
Dan Marino
Steve Young
Tom Brady

After 35+ years of watching football, I'd pick Manning and Farve because of my local ties, but still love all the rest (except Brady).
Montana
Brady
Manning
Bradshaw
Marino
Starr
Bob Griese
Has John Unitas been mentioned?
,Not the greatest, but had a damn long career, and was pretty good, worth a mention here.

George Blanda
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
Archie Manning was probably the best qb that played on a continually crap team.

Dad was a big Sonny Jurgensen fan and said that about him. He had the highest passer rating of any qb in his era (pre 1978). Lombardi who coached Sonny and the Redskins one year stated that had he had Sonny in Green Bay, they would have never lost a game. His career was plagued by injuries and crap teams. Another thing to consider is that in those days QB's called the plays. Manning probably called his own plays. IIRC, Tom Landry (one of the great innovative coaches ever) was the first one that started having plays called from the sidelines and Roger Staubach didn't like it.

I used to love pro football back then. Maybe it was better, maybe it was because I was just a kid and the players and coaches seemed bigger than life. Its sorta boring now.

Just the fact that many are posting a list of very good QBs to the question of *Greatest All-Time" clearly shows that this answer cannot accurately be quantified.
Another vote for Fran Tarkington!
Earl Morral hardly ever is mentioned, but pulled off some amazing things as a QB.

Maybe we could one day talk about the toughest QBs in pro football. I'd mention Jeff George, who I think spent more time looking up at the sky flat on his back tjan any other when he was at Indy. Took a lickin or three and kept on tickin.
One thing that has to be considered: the Player should be able to transcend eras.
No way in hell Brady survives like he does now. They changed rules of contact to the point guys now, especially him, can play forever without serious injury. Surgery used to end a career.

Something to think about.
Posted By: 79S Re: Greatest all time quarterback - 05/21/18
Jim Plunkett
Doug Williams
Phil Sims
Joe Thiesman
Mark Rypen
1.Tom Brady
2.Joe Montana
3.Joe Namath.

Several have noted great defensive players but if Derrick Thomas was coming off the edge it was a long penalty filled day for the O line.

Manning's have been noted but I can't root for our enemy on the 3rd Saturday in October Roll Tide!
Originally Posted by HawkI
One thing that has to be considered: the Player should be able to transcend eras.
No way in hell Brady survives like he does now. They changed rules of contact to the point guys now, especially him, can play forever without serious injury. Surgery used to end a career.

Something to think about.

Yep. Along with my earlier Dick Butkus comment I'll add that the current guys wouldn't like an unfettered Deacon Jones coming for them either.
Paul Brown invented the face mask because Otto Graham literally lost his face. And I believe he was out of bounds.

Dont think Tom Terrific would sign up for that. I could be wrong, but I doubt it...
Nobody has mentioned Aikman, the best pocket passer of all tome. He’s not the best Q B of all time but he is several lengths ahead of some others mentioned on this thread.
Originally Posted by djs

Winner, and in an era when QBs were targets. Next is Montana. Look what he accomplished after his back was broken. shocked
Staubach
Romo
Aikman
Montana
Danny White
How about IDGAF!
You guys saying Brady ain't tough are wrong. He'll stand in there and take the punishment with the best of them. He's also extremely durable , he missed that one season when he tore his knee up but is always ready to go it seems like.

Give the guy a break, he can't help it that he's not as ugly as Bradshaw.
Rickey Henderson
You guys saying Brady ain't tough are wrong. He'll stand in there and take the punishment with the best of them. He's also extremely durable , he missed that one season when he tore his knee up but is always ready to go it seems like.

Give the guy a break, he can't help it that he's not as ugly as Bradshaw.

After his knee got tore up, the NFL made the hit zone on a QB about 6 inches.

Bradshaw got hit in the face with helmets,head slapped with casts.

Maybe if he got hit like Bradshaw, hed be that ugly. He hasnt been hit so hard he lost teeth yet...and wont. Totally different era.
Montana
Brady
Favre
Manning
Elway

Marino
brett favre. cut off his arms and legs and pound for pound he’s still the best torso in the league
Love him or not, look at the records,

Favre.

At the least, Toughest QB ever.

Damn...I like watching that.
smile
Originally Posted by HawkI
No way in hell Brady survives like he does now. They changed rules of contact to the point guys now, especially him, can play forever without serious injury.

Brady would never have survived had he played in an earlier era, period.

He's a great passer, but he would have never been a great QB in the era of Unitas, Bradshaw, Farve or Montana.

Unitas was the best; called all his plays, no headphones for anyone, no instant replays, no Polaroids..........just what you had in your heart & your head. Got the livin' schitt beat out of him & still played, week in, week out.

Consummate respect from his teammates & opponents.

If you didn't see him play, you really cannot relate to, nor appreciate what he accomplished & why he is the greatest.

MM

Vid 1 Johnny U

Vid 2 Johnny U

Originally Posted by 79S
Jim Plunkett
Doug Williams
Phil Sims
Joe Thiesman
Mark Rypen

+1 for Jim.

My god! Please hit him again!
His lid flying off once in 17 years proves my point. Keep in mind they could have hit him again on the ground, sans penalty, in previous eras. Hes been protected by the rules ever since his knee got hit and pretty much goes to the ground when the footsteps are close. Not his fault, but acting like his health guru and him being so great is a bit much.

Cue the Bobby Douglass vids.

Bart Starr was every bit as tough as Unitas; he also faced the same teams for the same amount of time. Its a wonder Doug Atkins didnt kill at least one of them. They werent big men.
Originally Posted by Tracks
,Not the greatest, but had a damn long career, and was pretty good, worth a mention here.

George Blanda

If he couldn't punch it in, he kicked it through.

He was tough as nails!
Tom Brady.
Posted By: Rug3 Re: Greatest all time quarterback - 05/22/18
Not sure what constitutes "Greatest" but Y A Tittle was my favorite to watch. Tarkington was great also.
Originally Posted by Rug3
Not sure what constitutes "Greatest" but Y A Tittle was my favorite to watch. Tarkington was great also.

Tittle to R C Owens...alley-oop! TD.... laugh

I grew up on the 'niners and the alley-oop. As kids we alley-ooped all over our folks' front yards.
Posted By: Rug3 Re: Greatest all time quarterback - 05/22/18
Loved watching his short pass game. I had forgotten the alley-oop. Thanks for mentioning it.
© 24hourcampfire