Home
My 17 year old is weighing college, trade schools or military service after high school and seems to be leaning towards the military so I'd appreciate hearing the pros/cons on your experience with the different branches. Also, any advice on what to consider before/when signing the contract are also appreciated. BTW - thank you in advance for your service!
Small units and lots of responsibility early on, USCG.
Learn a trade while in service.....mechanic, medical, SP/MP, electronic repair, etc. That way when he/she is out of the service, there is a skill-set to help land a job
Mine is looking at the AF.
How well did he do on the ASVAB test. What's his AFQT (Armed Forces Qualifying Test) score?
With the current trans-sexual/homosexual policy crammed down one's throat, I could not recommend the armed services to anyone. I served 26 years, split between the Marine Corps (14) and Navy (12)
i always say that the best thing i ever did was go into the AF. the second best thing i ever did was to get out of the AF

if he can get a guaranteed job, not just a guaranteed career field, i'd say its a good move for a young man these days.
Ditto on what sackett said. Pick a trade. I did 5 in the usmc. Infantry. Not a lot of options when you get out that are easy on body. There a reason they call it the suck. Any of the branches would be ok. Have a buddy in the Air Force and he loved it. If he can stay out of trouble it a good course. Lots of bad influence for a young mind though.
My son joined the Army Reserve while in High School. Basic training between his junior and senior year, AIT after graduation, then on to college at Oklahoma State.

One thing we did for both of our kids was send them through the Johnson O'Connor Institute which measures those things that the person has a natural attribute for. It takes 1 ½ days and it was worth the money we spent. They won't tell you what you should do for a career or vocation but they will tell you what things would come naturally to you and what would not.
Originally Posted by sackett
Learn a trade while in service.....mechanic, medical, SP/MP, electronic repair, etc. That way when he/she is out of the service, there is a skill-set to help land a job

Beat me to it! If he knows the area he wants to get a trade skill in later on, there is a good chance the military has an MOS that will prep him or at least something similar. I would say that if the reserves are in the picture, to check into each unit that would be a possibility. Most reserve units have a specific specialty. My reserve unit was a line company so I was automatically 0311, if I had been closer to Texarkana I could have been Motor T. All based on geography. If a suitable MOS isn’t close proximity, then active duty may be the ticket.
Service can pave the road to success and a career in later life, albeit with inherent risks. Tell him to choose a specific path and look beyond to the future as he considers such things.
I was in basic with a 17 year old, I think it is too young.
Nephew just joined AF, although he is 25 with a college degree. Off to Aircraft Controller School
It's not just a job...

grin

It's $96.22 a week

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
I joined the Navy at 17.
While in boot camp, all the options the Navy had to offer were presented like commercials.
The day they introduced us to Submarines, I was sold.
I finished boot camp, went on to Enlisted Submarine School for 12 weeks, then was assigned to Nuclear Power Fast Attacks.
I reported on board as a Fireman Apprentice, E2. Was assigned to A-gang and started working towards becoming an Engineman.
By the time I was 21yrs. old I was an E5 2nd class PO Engineman.
A year later, I decided to muster out, and pursue the same trade I was involved with in the Navy.
The HVAC trade which was part of the A-gangs responsibility on Subs.
Within 5 yrs. I was self-employed as a Mech. Contractor and that lasted for 32yrs.
I retired, started teaching my trade at a Community College for another 11 yrs. and retired as an Assoc. Professor.
My life changed because of a one hr. presentation at boot camp.
The NAVY was the best thing that ever happened to me as a young man. The choice I made to go all in for Submarine duty
set me up to continue going to school, when your not on deployment you train, then train some more.
Sub duty is not for everyone, for me it was life altering at 17yrs. old.
Joe
Originally Posted by Nebraska
My 17 year old is weighing college, trade schools or military service after high school and seems to be leaning towards the military so I'd appreciate hearing the pros/cons on your experience with the different branches. Also, any advice on what to consider before/when signing the contract are also appreciated. BTW - thank you in advance for your service!

Everybody I've known that had a career or even decent schooling in the Air Force has had no trouble finding good jobs when they get out.
USMC

I got $70.00 PER MONTH!
I have no military experience. But I'd try to talk him out of any branch of service that might land him in the Middle East.

There's too many Communists who still have influence in America's foreign policy. They'll spend American boys like Kleenex.

Steelhead mentioned the USCG. I agree with him. I suggested the USCG to my son a few years ago. I wish he had taken my advice. He's a smart young guy and can swim like a fish.

He had his own ideas, however.
Best deal ever. Unfortunately more young men don't recognize the return.
If he has any interest in the medical field, he might get a good head start on being an RN or PA later on.
I'd say go for it. What could possibly go wrong?

Me, I just wanted to be a Marine, do a four year enlistment, and get out.

I joined up under the Combat Arms Bonus Program in 1979. Got a $2500 bonus and ended up in an Artillery MOS 0849 Shore Fire Control Party Man (Naval Gunfire Forward Observer). Later rolled into the MOS 0861, Fire Support Man (Artillery and Naval Gunfire Forward Observer).

Ended up staying on active duty for over 25 years. Went lots of places, did lots of things. met lots of great people. It was a great career. Wouldn't change any of it.
My 18 year old just graduated and he is considering the Marines. He talked to other recruiters but his mind is set. We shall see what happens. I didn’t serve and wish I had. If it’s what he wants I will support him 100%.
I enlisted as an 11C mortarman, and it trained me for nothing whatsoever in the civilian world. I had a lot of fun in the 82nd Abn. Div., but nothing other than leadership principles comes to mind for civilian life.

However, I do see that it gave me a pretty good work ethic, something most folks nowadays don't ever see, and I learned leadership skills that SHOULD apply at work, but I never see (and that distresses me a helluva lot). You can't lead from behind a desk, you have to get out in front of it something I never, ever see at the job.

All in all, despite my complaints about training for civilian life, it was a great experience for me. I learned also that my job is pitiful about training, and especially continuing, on-site training, something the Army is really, really good at doing.
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
One thing we did for both of our kids was send them through the Johnson O'Connor Institute which measures those things that the person has a natural attribute for. It takes 1 ½ days and it was worth the money we spent. They won't tell you what you should do for a career or vocation but they will tell you what things would come naturally to you and what would not.

That sounds like a great idea! Showed that to the wife and will probably do for both of our kids as well as part of their graduation gift now!

Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
How well did he do on the ASVAB test. What's his AFQT (Armed Forces Qualifying Test) score?

A school friend's Dad (in the DEA) said he should join the Coast Guard as a mechanic and that really got his wheels spinning for the service but he hasn't taken the ASVAB test yet. He does well in school (favors math/science) and with extra curricular activities/sports (in robotics - likes to build, not code, swimming, baseball). He received student athlete awards Sophomore and Junior year based on teacher/coach recommendations (they all love him). He's a very hard worker (has his own lawn service) and a teacher's heart (recruited by his swim instructors to help teach swim classes). He's a conservative straight arrow with high integrity, self-discipline, self-restraint and very mature for his age (must skip a generation LOL!!). He loves the outdoors and is naturally drawn to designing/building.
Our youngest had a year in college then went into the AF. Had high ASVAB scores and got the job she wanted. She got out last year and is working as a Cardiac/respiratory therapist doing very well for herself....
If he is a mature 17 then the military can be a good thing, if he is immature probably not so much.

I am speaking from personal experience from many years ago - I went into the Air Force at 17, a week after I graduated high school, at the time I went in I was immature and a bit directionless, by the time I got out of Basic Training and Technical School I was a different person. I not only had a skill but I had a life plan that served me well. Thanks to the training I received those many years ago I was retired by 60 and have three retirement incomes. Admittedly I did not go into the military with that as a goal but the values and skills they gave me enabled it.
Not only did it provide me with the skills and mind-set but it introduced me to a whole new life - I met folks from all over the US, it broadened my outlook on differences in folks from all part of the country - the most amazing thing to me is that we are more alike than different. I would much rather see young folks try the military rather than wasting a year or two at college with no idea of what they want to achieve.

Things may have changed a bit through the years but the Air Force and Navy both have excellent technical schools, the Marines and the Army
generally are more interested in warm bodies rather than skills.

drover
Originally Posted by okie
Our youngest had a year in college then went into the AF. Had high ASVAB scores and got the job she wanted. She got out last year and is working as a Cardiac/respiratory therapist doing very well for herself....

Last weekend in September. I miss you guys.
Join the Air Force or Air National Guard. Almost all af jobs have a civilian equivalent. 21 years in intelligence and still counting.

Hence my earlier question to the OP.

High scores, guaranteed slot, or ROTC with a scholarship can be a good deal. Lows scores and "Needs of the Army", while bullets are flying, might not be so good.
Originally Posted by blairvt
Join the Air Force or Air National Guard. Almost all af jobs have a civilian equivalent. 21 years in intelligence and still counting.

Intel's a great gig.
I joined the Marine Corps at 17 and never looked back. There were times that sucked and times that were unbelievable. Ended up serving over 25 years. I’m retired now and both of my siblings have degrees and will be working until they are much older but I hear the retirement system may be changing. If I was a smart young man and could turn back time, I’d get my degree and become a officer.

The way of the future as I saw it when I retired 4 years ago was all computer, network, intel type fields and I believe that will last a long time and give a skill if he was to do a 4 year tour. However, the intangible benefits that can seem mundane like swabbing decks, cleaning toilets etc. all have a purpose for a young man just entering like unselfishness, discipline etc. I think these things are incalculable in terms of what you learn.

Those jobs are menial and meant to be but only for a short duration. Young men quickly become leaders of men, money and equipment. Skills that will last a lifetime. It’s not for everyone but certainly a young man could do worse. There is that one thing, serving your Country! I’ll always be proud of that.

I served on recruiting duty but a long time ago. If I can help in anyway don’t hesitate to ask. Good luck to your son.
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
I enlisted as an 11C mortarman, and it trained me for nothing whatsoever in the civilian world. I had a lot of fun in the 82nd Abn. Div., but nothing other than leadership principles comes to mind for civilian life.

However, I do see that it gave me a pretty good work ethic, something most folks nowadays don't ever see, and I learned leadership skills that SHOULD apply at work, but I never see (and that distresses me a helluva lot). You can't lead from behind a desk, you have to get out in front of it something I never, ever see at the job.

All in all, despite my complaints about training for civilian life, it was a great experience for me. I learned also that my job is pitiful about training, and especially continuing, on-site training, something the Army is really, really good at doing.

Absolutely. Ratsmacker summed it up perfectly (Airborne!). I was 11B and had almost identical experiences.

If his heart is not set on a specific field or branch, please consider ROTC in college. The program will often pay a lot for critical job skills. The Commissioned Officer branch pay, retirement, and job opportunities outside are much better than the enlisted side. And they don't clean toilets daily.

My good Officers were worth their weight in gold, and the men would recon Hell for them. You don't get that too much in the civilian world.
CG is the toughest to get into and requires the highest test scores of any branch. One of the great things about it is the small size and you feel less like a number an more like a 'family' member.

Plus, not being on big bases and generally living in the community, keeps one from becoming 'institutionalized'
I definitely want him to be prepared for the ASVAB. Any recommendations on preparation/study courses to ensure he tests to the best of his ability?
Thats a tough one!

I have three little kids and I bet the question will come up eventually.

I am going to STRONGLY encourage them towards a trade, not the military.

If they dont go for that I will STRONGLY encourage them to stay in said branch of military as a career.
You can get books for it and online stuff. I just took it, because that was forever ago.

If he does well in school, he should be fine.
I went in at barely 18 for 21years,6years usateu.The shape the VA is in right now I would say no.Im 100%disabled and have to fight for everything.not worth it anymore
Recommendation #1: Go in as an officer - more money, more perks, larger moving allowance, better job possibilities. That means GO TO COLLEGE! There are many military programs to get him through.

#2: Air Force has the best housing, Navy has the best food, Marines have the most fighting and the Army has the best...nothing.

#3. Don't do anything in the military that has to do with computers. Their hardware and software are often proprietary, meaning they have NO application when you get out. It really sucks to have 20 years experience in computer work in the military, only to find you have to completely relearn your skill set when you look for a civilian job.

#4 Almost anything in the medical field is a great idea for future civilian life. Take advantage of ALL the training courses and college plans available.

I graduated college with a degree in English, sprinkled with a few math and science courses. When I found out that no one was knocking down my door to hire me as CEO of their company as an English major, I decided to "be all I could be" and join the Air Force. The AF sent me to a certificate program in Meteorologly (basically all of the upper level courses needed for a degree), and then, after a few years experience, to a Master's Degree program at one of the best schools in the nation. Both of these programs were full-time, all books, fees and tuition paid, along with free housing AND an officer's paycheck! I didn't even have to wear a uniform to school!

My wife and I had a baby before I went in to the military, and the fee for 1 day in the hospital was over $2000. Now this was when I was earning less than $500 a month full-time working in a bank - it took years to pay off. After entering the AF, our first kid cost us a total of $12 for my wife to spend 3 days in the hospital - they only charge you for meals! And it was a VERY good military hospital.

FINAL PIECE OF ADVICE: don't trust ANYTHING the recruiter tells you unless it is in writing and you have a copy! All worked out well for me, but I heard plenty of heartbreaking stories during my years in the military about flat-out lies told by recruiters to make their quota.

Best of luck!
I definitely want him to be prepared for the ASVAB. Any recommendations on preparation/study courses to ensure he tests to the best of his ability?

ASVAB is an IQ test. It's a very accurate IQ test. The AFTQ scores is your IQ percentile ranking. 70's the minimum to qualify as an officer.
I had emergency surgery last Friday,the VA let me lay on the floor for 18days this month with a ruptured disc,my family had to find a surgeon because the VA wouldn’t help me or get me help,is this what you people want to happen to your children?not me.Veterans deserve better and are given less.Warn your loved ones first,they deserve better.
I'm a Vet, but I've never used the VA.
Might consider AF Metrology, that is Not meterology. AF career in it and multiple areas to work when you get out. I was fortunate to get into it and enjoyed almost everything. Get the field in which you are enlisting in writing. If he enlists tell him to get in the habit of keeping copies of personell actions and in particular everthing for which he gets medical treatment. Having said all that a commision is far better than an enlistment, primarily from a financial aspect. I turned down a commision twice and never regretted it until my first retirement check. The AF was good to me and my family.
Signed up for delayed enlistment on Nov 24,1976 to get the Vietnam era GI Bill. Came from a family of 12, so college wasn’t in the cards.

Was enlisted for nearly 10 years and an officer (USAF Civil engineer) for almost 32 years now.

Almost 16 years active, 9 inactive reserve, 10 in the USAF reserve and the rest in the Air Guard.

I’ve held three commands, one while deployed to northern Iraq.

Was selected for another promotion, but I’m an old man, and it’s time to let the young guys and gals have their time.

I relinquish command and retire on August 11, 2018. What’s that? 18 more days. I’m looking forward to it.

Wouldn’t trade a day.

It’s been a blessing, and the only people on the face of the earth I am even remotely jealous of are kids like your son, who are just starting their journey.

It’ll be what he makes out of it. Let it be an adventure.
Being a vet myself, and knowing many other veterans, I'd never try to dissuade anyone from serving in the military.
I've often said of my service that I wouldn't do it again for a million bucks, but I wouldn't trade the experience for 10 million either.
It's not an easy thing to do, most worthwhile things aren't. But it's what it does for you that far outweigh the few drawbacks.
7mm
Originally Posted by ltppowell

Last weekend in September. I miss you guys.

I"ll check the calender...
It's hard at 17 to know what you want to be in 20 years. It's important to pick an MOS that will translate directly into a job when he get's out. Anymore it makes sense to stay in for the 20 then go directly into a civilian job. Maybe FAA, or Radiology, respitory thereapist, keep the education going the whole time. I have a friend who was a Ranger and went right into civil service, then retired with three retirements, military, CIvil Service, and Social Security. He and his wife live well. It used to be do what you like and you never work a day in your life. Now it's find a job that makes a lot of money and stick it out, being careful and save money for retirement. I doubt there will be many pensions after all that time.

Air force, Navy, Coast Guard...I spent 6 yrs. in the navy...I got to see all of the scitthole countries that Trump talks about....most were fun, others, not so much, but I always had a dry bed....while the army and marine corps. might seem like a good idea they're not... If you can talk him into it, I'd suggest a trade school (welding/fabrication)...
FWIW, I'd do it all again
There is a new retirement system in place now. Blended retirement it has replaced the high 3 system. It's a good system for those youngsters who only do a few yrs and ets. Far as what service I'm in the Army I always tell people looking at joining, join the Airforce the standard of living is definitely a lot better. But if you want to get promoted join the Army come in as a combat arms guy. Also the whole transgender thing all but a mute point now. Anyhow join do 3yrs yeah a guy like me will bug them to stay in but do 3 get out and go to college.

Did 6.5 years active duty Army and 21 years Army National Guard. First 3 years were enlisted as a Track Mechanic.
After a 9 year break I joined the Army National Guard and received a direct commission as a Warrant Officer. In Tank
Automotive Maintenance, plus much latter the Army also added Ordinance Officer. Bottom line is its easier to get rank in
the Army but living conditions are not as good. Lots of people get to be Warrant Officers flying helicopters. Saw mostly
deserts and jungles in my career. I liked the Guard because you could have a civilian job at the same time. Getting called
up in the Guard is no if but when.
My son wants me to sign him over to the Marine Corps this year but I'm reluctant to do so. The experiences I had with ultra-young enlistees weren't good. They typically lose their minds and spend every cent and fall in love with souvenir's.

Personally I think a year or two on your own (between living with mom and dad and enlisting) is greatly beneficial. It allows a young man to be wild without the concerns of alcoholic related incidents and all the other very strict rules that come with being an enlisted kid overseas. It is not your grandpappy's service. Nobody will laugh off your blacking out and getting into a fight at the e-club.

The absolute smartest thing a kid that wants to serve could do is go to college, and then when they're done go in to become an officer.

The 2nd smartest thing a kid that wants to serve could do, is join the Coast Guard. They are a highly underrated organization and perform real world tasks on a daily basis.
Originally Posted by deflave
My son wants me to sign him over to the Marine Corps this year but I'm reluctant to do so. The experiences I had with ultra-young enlistees weren't good. They typically lose their minds and spend every cent and fall in love with souvenir's.

Personally I think a year or two on your own (between living with mom and dad and enlisting) is greatly beneficial. It allows a young man to be wild without the concerns of alcoholic related incidents and all the other very strict rules that come with being an enlisted kid overseas. It is not your grandpappy's service. Nobody will laugh off your blacking out and getting into a fight at the e-club.

The absolute smartest thing a kid that wants to serve could do is go to college, and then when they're done go in to become an officer.

The 2nd smartest thing a kid that wants to serve could do, is join the Coast Guard. They are a highly underrated organization and perform real world tasks on a daily basis.

I think someone hacked deflave account.. maybe it was his wife???? This is the most sane post he's ever made..

I agree a year to 2 after high school helps. I went one year to college before 3 years in the Army.
the more mature you are the better. I almost went Coast Guard, it was my second choice. But
that's water under the bridge. We had the youngest kid in our unit shoot it out with some Insurgents
in Iraq one day and get a Bronze Star the next day told his platoon sergeant he didn,t have follow his orders
anymore. Next day he had one less stripe than he had before. Just immature.
Originally Posted by 79S

I think someone hacked deflave account.. maybe it was his wife???? This is the most sane post he's ever made..

I can't get drunk in Florida. I sweat everything out just walking to the garbage can.

Kinda boring.
Yes. Pick something with trade potential or something he/she might enjoy. Any of the branches can be a great place to learn a lot of life's lessons, earn a little money with few real expenses, and figure out what one wants to do with the rest of ones life. Came out of high school here, did 4 years in Navy aviation that I greatly enjoyed leaving as an E5, the GI bill paid for 1 and 1/2 college degrees, I got an assistantship for a third, and I retired at 62 with 32 years in the equation because my service time counted. There is no real reason to rush through life, especially if one has not settled on a direction yet.

Been trying to encourage my son to take a similar route, as he is pretty much a lost sheep at picking a direction in life.

I would have considered the military as a career had one a little more say in selecting duty stations. A few local kids have taken the career route and are in mos's that
are putting out serious cash for reenlistments. If anywhere near frugal, they can easily retire when they wrap up.

Good luck,
Air Force or Navy as an Aircraft Mechanic, ATC.
Coast Guard too maybe also I have NO experience/knowledge there.

Whatever you do pick and require guaranteed school that will translate to the outside world.

Airborne Ranger sounds real cool to a youngster and is KEWL, but not a career unless you stay in and never in the best of living conditions.
Grab all the civilian applicable training you can and especially if ya stay for 20.
17-18 plus 20 is only 38. Plenty of time for a second career while collecting a retirement.
Just an opinion mind you and we all know about Opinions.

Year or two learning what grown-ups do first before any choices are made will not be a bad choice either.
Lots of good paying jobs after trade school also.

MAYBE THE MANTRA SHOULD BE . . . DON'T RUSH INTO ANY CHOICE
Join the Navy, see the world.
Have him choose something that won't ruin his health before he is 40..
If he wants to go into the Military, find something that he can do for 20 years, then use his training to find a second career afterwards.

Some personalities works inside the Military, some absolutely do not!
A lot of good advice but certain cautions.

Join whichever service he likes AND will give him in writing his MOS of choice. Double check what that MOS actually is on google versus what the recruiter says.

They will try and get him to sign that day when he goes to MEPPS and tell him only available now. IF not what he wants have him tell them he will take a later class date and go home. Do not sign that day unless 100% sure that is what he wants. Do your research on MOS before he goes to MEPPS

More importantly, once in and out of training tell him to hit the local education center and take every College Level Examination Program (CLEP) test he can and end of course tests. There are 33 different CLEP tests that offer up to 3 hours each. I have seen guys get an associates in 4 months just doing that. I accumulated over 90 hours doing that myself. When he gets out, he can start at least as a junior in college.

Second most important thing is tell him to start the TSP (Thrift Savings Plan) immediately. The military matches 100% dollar for dollar up to 3% of his pay and 50% after that up to 5% of basic pay. It is great 401 and he can take it with him later and transfer once out to standard IRA. At his age, if he gets out and just lets that accumulate with no other contributions until 60 he will be millionaire when he retires.

Do the early enlistment where he enlists and stays in reserves until he reports for active duty. That time for pay accumulates and gives him more money when he goes in ahead of everyone else.

Get him setup once enlists with USAA for insurance and banking. They refund his ATM fees.
A lot of good advise in this thread.

Myself, Served a 5.5 year enlistment in the Marine Corps as a helicopter mechanic. Loved it. My MOS was transitioned into the V-22. That was a NO-GO for me and there was no boat spaces left for any other helicopter platforms I wanted, so I got out. I was immediately picked up by a helicopter OEM on terminal leave. Been working for them for the last ten years. I have traveled the world and enjoy my line of work. It pays well and there are many opportunities for growth.

I tried to join the USCG (aviation) and was rejected at MEPS because of a minor food allergy. The USAF seems too easy and the Army I saw around me was full of dumbasses and pedos. (grew up near JBLM) The USN recruiter didn't know anything about aviation MOS options and I don't shoot a 270... wink

That left the Marines. One of the best decisions of my life.

The point folks have made about going in as an Officer is a good one to look into. That will be the direction I point my sons. It gives them a chance to grow up a bit before the enter the service. If they are still committed to joining after two years of college there are programs that will allow them to join the services and finish their degree while the service pays for it. Kind of like the GI Bill upfront. I do not know all the details but have had some friends do it this way. Saved them tons of money and the went to OCS and TBS in the summer when college was not in session. Officer or enlisted it seems it would be easier to get a degree done upfront that try to do it later after getting out of the service. At least that has been my experience.

I went into the military after college...

My undergrad degree was in Pre Law, and then got accepted to several Law Schools.. Univ of Va, William and Mary, and Georgetown....then I pissed my parents off ( who are military)... and went into the Army, who had the best medical programs at the time...I went full boat with what they offered.. after 91B and 91C, I was offered PA School at Ft Bliss TX or they would put me thru a Civilian Program at the University of Washington...I was signed up for that, and working as a Nurse at the Univ of Wash Hosp, waiting for the next PA class to start... then did the dumbest thing of my life... dropped out and got married....switching to the Reserves....

My time in the Army, I was highly trained in the medical field...worked as a nurse but then got into Medical Sales as it paid much better....finally wound up in Cardiology which I loved... worked for companies, that were on cutting edge technology so I was selling products and scrubbing in to surgical cases at teaching hospitals, almost 5 days a week. wonderful experience and very rewarding... all because of my Army Medical Experience...

Should have stayed in the Reserves, and should have taken a commission which was offered many times...regret no doing so now... not for anything but missing the experiences it would have offered... I just got tired of the morons who work for the Reserves and Guard full time, who are too stupid in most instances to hold a real job in the real world...at least the enlisted ones it seems..

I went medical corps strictly because I had two instances in college where I was the first on scene at car accidents and couldn't save someone's life as I didn't know what to do... after the second, my mind was quickly made up... most empty feeling I've ever had....The military will give access to medical training far beyond what you can usually find in the civilian world....

That's my point to pass on... but then again, I am in the minority that believes that there should be compulsory military service for any able bodied young man....would make the country stronger and we'd have a lot less snowflake and Antifa pukes on the street corners bad mouthing our nation....teaching them a work ethic....
I volunteered when I was 17. Did exactly what I wanted to do, serve on submarines. Bunch of weeks in BE&E school, then Torpedo school, then more weeks at Groton, CT. at sub school and on to my first boat - USS Redfish.

Saw a lot of different countries and wouldn't trade the experience for anything.. The others above are right - make sure the kid considers a rate that is valuable on the outside.. Mine wasn't, but in my case it didn't matter..
My son went in the Army at 17 out of high school. Some though "Bummer, no college".
He picked an MOS that was in line with what he thought he had the most interest in as a civilian.
He used the GI bill (which he also paid into while serving) and just received his PHD and is off
to Hays St. U. to be a professor.

So, tell your son to go in to something he has a strong interest in.
Be the best service member he can be while in.
Serve with pride regardless of what crap goes on.
Get some further education while serving.
Get out when appropriate.

Tim
Originally Posted by Springcove
My 18 year old just graduated and he is considering the Marines. He talked to other recruiters but his mind is set. We shall see what happens. I didn’t serve and wish I had. If it’s what he wants I will support him 100%.

Smart man, you did good.... This is the answer, not a bunch of unknowns on the internet. I was a marine recon, Navy SEAL, sniper in Army Ranger unit with the Special Forces in Vietnam and Angola and Iran but I can't talk about any of my missions. BLAH BLAH BLAH.

In reality, I did a year of college and decided that's not for me, joined (AIRBORNE) for two years, flight school, retired CW3 AH-64 Apache Test Pilot. Quit college to join (needed to grow up) and retired AAS, BS, MAS - paid for (mostly) by Uncle Sam and US Tax dollars - Soo don't Thank Me for serving- thank you for educating me!!
I think de flave is correct.

Kinda nails what I did joining the Army, going to Germany and being in a Tank unit.

No, don't "prepare" him for the ASVAB - let the test see what he's good at - that may help him decide which career field would be best for him.

As a couple of others have mentioned, the Coast Guard is more of a family environment than any other branch. They even truly attempt to get you stationed where you prefer, close to your family if possible, unlike the other branches which seem to take the last place on your preference list and put you there. Much of my family has served full careers in the Coast Guard - I wanted to go to the Coast Guard Academy, but my academics weren't good enough. Instead I ended up at West Point and the Army sucked.
One more thing I'll say about the CG. You aren't pigeonholed regardless of rating. I was an ET, but also a DC, EM, SK, YN, BM, MK and cook. Small units mean you learn the jobs of other ratings.

I've seen some uncreative folks in other branches, especially USAF

A very good post. That said, given what all branches have become, I really can't recommend it unless as a last resort...
The Coast Guard has a nice set up on the Outer Banks of North Carolina right by Oregon Inlet.

I always thought that would be a good place to get stationed,..although I would think the job could get fairly hairy out there from time to time.
I served for 24 years both as an enlisted Marine and an Officer in the Army. I really think that every officer should be enlisted first so that they can put things in perspective, but that is never going to happen. If he decides to join, pick an MOS that will translate to the real world. A couple of the better ones are intelligence and medical equipment repair (The Army trains folks to repair MRI machines and a host of other medical equipment, but I think the MOS is available to other branches, they attend the Army school). These folks walk right out on the street after an enlistment and earn 80k.

If he decides to make a career of it, being an officer will have huge financial advantages.

As you can see from the responses, virtually nobody thinks it's a bad idea; however, Northman made a good point. Don't let him get into an MOS that will have him physically ruined by the age of 40. I currently represent Soldiers who are being processed out of the service through the Medical Evaluation Board and between physical training and multiple combat deployments, most Combat Arms Soldiers who are of retirement age are physically broken.

Deflave makes a good point too - 17 is very young. He might do ok if he is mature, but the services no longer have any tolerance for drinking incidents and can discharge a Soldier with the stroke of a pen if they have under six years of service.
Originally Posted by Bristoe
The Coast Guard has a nice set up on the Outer Banks of North Carolina right by Oregon Inlet.

I always thought that would be a good place to get stationed,..although I would think the job could get fairly hairy out there from time to time.

My family is from the Outer Banks area of N.C. and it is indeed a good gig for Coast Guard.
However, one of my hunting buddies spent almost his entire Coast Guard career in Kodiak, Alaska, by preference, due to the great hunting and fishing up there. He did retire to eastern N.C., though.
Originally Posted by David_Walter
Signed up for delayed enlistment on Nov 24,1976 to get the Vietnam era GI Bill. Came from a family of 12, so college wasn’t in the cards.

Was enlisted for nearly 10 years and an officer (USAF Civil engineer) for almost 32 years now.

Almost 16 years active, 9 inactive reserve, 10 in the USAF reserve and the rest in the Air Guard.

I’ve held three commands, one while deployed to northern Iraq.

Was selected for another promotion, but I’m an old man, and it’s time to let the young guys and gals have their time.

I relinquish command and retire on August 11, 2018. What’s that? 18 more days. I’m looking forward to it.

Wouldn’t trade a day.

It’s been a blessing, and the only people on the face of the earth I am even remotely jealous of are kids like your son, who are just starting their journey.

It’ll be what he makes out of it. Let it be an adventure.

David,
Thank you.
While my service is dated (81-97), I remember how frequently ASVAB scores were used throughout a soldier's career related to career and training opportunities. Some practice tests would be helpful so that this test, taken at a young age, shows the best representation of your son's abilities and interests. Your local library probably has practice books and there are also lots of resources online.

As also mentioned was that maturity is something you should carefully consider. If your son has had limited/sheltered life experience, he'll certainly get that in the military, but being immature in "adult situations" might make the first couple years of service an opportunity to fail. An alternative that the Army offers (other services might with a different name) is "Simultaneous Membership Program (SMP)".....basically, he would go to boot camp after high school, be enrolled in a college ROTC program as well as a member of a Reserve or National Guard unit until college graduation. This does a few things....he gets some training and experience early, gets commissioned as an officer before his peers (I did at the end of my sophmore year, effectively giving me two years "Time In Grade" over my peers which helped in future promotions), it pays both a ROTC stipend and reserve duty pay while in school. While the military has certainly changed a bunch in recent decades, it certainly is a good option and gives great experience to those who are suited for it.
Join the Navy.
Go see the world, you may not get another chance!
Learn a trade that you can use.
Originally Posted by Gregdoo
While my service is dated (81-97), I remember how frequently ASVAB scores were used throughout a soldier's career related to career and training opportunities. Some practice tests would be helpful so that this test, taken at a young age, shows the best representation of your son's abilities and interests. Your local library probably has practice books and there are also lots of resources online.

As also mentioned was that maturity is something you should carefully consider. If your son has had limited/sheltered life experience, he'll certainly get that in the military, but being immature in "adult situations" might make the first couple years of service an opportunity to fail. An alternative that the Army offers (other services might with a different name) is "Simultaneous Membership Program (SMP)".....basically, he would go to boot camp after high school, be enrolled in a college ROTC program as well as a member of a Reserve or National Guard unit until college graduation. This does a few things....he gets some training and experience early, gets commissioned as an officer before his peers (I did at the end of my sophmore year, effectively giving me two years "Time In Grade" over my peers which helped in future promotions), it pays both a ROTC stipend and reserve duty pay while in school. While the military has certainly changed a bunch in recent decades, it certainly is a good option and gives great experience to those who are suited for it.

Not to be contrarian, but I have had horrendous experiences with guys that did the ROTC gigs and then went into service.

I also have to go against the grain on the practicality aspect of enlistment. If a kid wants to drive tanks, he should enlist to drive tanks. If he wants to shoot one of them big ol' howitzers, he should pursue it. You only live once and setting out to be an electrician sorta takes the fun outta schit.
Agree....there can be some bad ones. There are three general ways to become an officer; service academy; ROTC and OCS (Officer Candidate School). (Four if you also consider direct commission, which is rarely done for non-medical/law fields.) All of them have their bottom of the barrel graduates and those that get commissioned and just aren't the right fit for the position or their unit. ROTC is the largest source of commissions, so therefore probably also have the largest number of sub-par performers.

Also agree that at a young age this is the time for them to do something that may not be a lifetime career if they have a calling. The discipline and leadership skills they will learn can be useful in about any future job.
I've advised my son to get a degree and go OCS.

Of course I don't know if that's 100% sound advice because I just did what I felt like. LMAO.
I'll throw in my experience almost 21 years of being in the Army and another 15 of being a deployable, emergency essential government civilian working for DA. There are some great jobs in all the services, but I was a Test, Measurement and Diagnostic Equipment (TMDE) Specialist, (Air Force it's PMEL) current MOS is 94H, there is currently a $5000.00 bonus if you can qualify for it. Later I became a Warrant Officer in the same field. What do you do in this field: you calibrate and repair anything the Army uses to test, measure or diagnose systems. Here is the Army's description: Job training for a test measurement and diagnostic equipment maintenance support specialist requires 10 weeks of Basic Combat Training and 34 weeks of Advanced Individual Training with on-the-job instructions. Part of this time is spent in the classroom and part in the field, including practice in repairing precision instruments.

Some of the skills you’ll learn are:
•Calibration and repair of precision-measuring instruments
•Use of blueprints and schematics

It was an awesome job when I was in, 7 or 9 person teams with a WO as the detachment commander. It's changed a little since then, but it's still a great MOS for getting a civilian job after the Army. It certainly worked well for me!

I work with soldiers daily, and I see the same things now that I saw when I joined. The Army is what you make it, you can excel if you are willing to work or you can barely make it through your enlistment and hope for a honorable discharge.

From reading about the kid who's future we've been discussing, I think he would excel in any of the services. Go enlisted and then GO WARRANT OFFICER! Best job in the Army by far.
What ever he does, don't do this:

http://www.ktvu.com/news/soldier-goes-awol-steals-humvee
Yes, he should do it and I recommend he go in to combat arms - infantry, armor or artillery (chicks dig guys with big guns wink ).

It's some of the most fun and some of the most physically challenging, yet rewarding, things you will ever do.

Do it while you're young. If after his first enlistment he decides he wants to stay he can always change his MOS.

Yeah, it's a helluva way to make a living.
If he's the type of kid who is mechanically inclined, I'd recommend the Air Force as an aviation mechanic, crew chief or avionics technician. I'd also strongly recommend obtaining an Airframe/Powerplant or Radiomen's license while in and let Uncle Sam pay for it. The after military service career future is very promising with fewer and fewer young people going into the aerospace career field. Best of luck to your son.
Originally Posted by TBREW401
Join the Navy.
Go see the world, you may not get another chance!
Learn a trade that you can use.

But get it in writing...
What major is he considering if he goes the college route?
Lets talk fundamentals. If you want to sleep in a hole in the ground because some prick of a Corporal told you to, then join the army. Otherwise, join the Navy. smile
Originally Posted by EdM

Most likely Criminal Justice. He has one cousin (my nephew) that's a police officer in CA and another one about to go into the academy in CA. He'd be interested in going that route but I'm not sure about that plan considering the current environment.

He just finished summer baseball and is interning at a local meat packing plant full time until school starts (mowing lawns when he gets home wink ) so he can assist the maintenance crew that works on the refrigeration/robots. Will hopefully get a good glimpse into HVAC/Refrigeration/Electrical/Robotics while he's there.....
Might be good to get a little time growing first, say until 19, before going in. Never helps to be the youngest recruit in the unit. After that, he can pick anything that interests him. I would stay away from the combat arms (infantry, artillery, armor) unless he wants to go into aviation and can qualify. Army still takes non-college grads into the Warrant Officer Flight Program. Best of both worlds. 11 months of flight and officer training at an E-5's pay, a black stripe down your pants, flight pay, and a skill you can carry to civilian life. Plus, you learn that some laws transcend military rank, i.e. gravity. Goes a long way to a good perspective on life. Get out after 10 years (your skills and experience are at their peak) and fly with the Guard on weekends while you do what you want with a civilian career. Retire from the Guard after 20 and draw a pension and TriCare health coverage, for life, after reaching age 60. Not a bad gig.
Originally Posted by Ranger_Green

Or this:

https://www.armytimes.com/news/2018...rmored-vehicle-from-national-guard-base/

I believe he was an O2. It might be hard to make O3, now....
Originally Posted by EdM

Most likely Criminal Justice. He has one cousin (my nephew) that's a police officer in CA and another one about to go into the academy in CA. He'd be interested in going that route but I'm not sure about that plan considering the current environment.

He just finished summer baseball and is interning at a local meat packing plant full time until school starts (mowing lawns when he gets home wink ) so he can assist the maintenance crew that works on the refrigeration/robots. Will hopefully get a good glimpse into HVAC/Refrigeration/Electrical/Robotics while he's there.....

Are his grades good enough to get him in one of the service Academies? My daughter is 15 and wants to do law enforcement. I'm trying to convince her of this route, she seems interested in the Navy so we're thinking Annapolis for pre-law. She wants to chase bad guys so she likes the idea of the US Marshal Service.

I loved active duty Army a lot, got to see a lot of Europe and a little bit of Uganda but never made the Middle East. The Army Reserves wasn't nearly as fun, it's much harder to be cohesive as a unit part time. I did 21 years and would probably still be in if my leg would let me, since the majority of my time was Reserves I don't have a lot of retirement points. Unfortunately my leg injury wasn't service related or happened while on title 10 orders, so I wasn't eligible for medical retirement of any VA disiabilty rating for it.
Originally Posted by EdM

If he wants to go LEO I defer to member Ranger Green as he is as good as it gets in this regard.
Originally Posted by taylorce1
Originally Posted by EdM

Are his grades good enough to get him in one of the service Academies? My daughter is 15 and wants to do law enforcement. I'm trying to convince her of this route, she seems interested in the Navy so we're thinking Annapolis for pre-law. She wants to chase bad guys so she likes the idea of the US Marshal Service.

I loved active duty Army a lot, got to see a lot of Europe and a little bit of Uganda but never made the Middle East. The Army Reserves wasn't nearly as fun, it's much harder to be cohesive as a unit part time. I did 21 years and would probably still be in if my leg would let me, since the majority of my time was Reserves I don't have a lot of retirement points. Unfortunately my leg injury wasn't service related or happened while on title 10 orders, so I wasn't eligible for medical retirement of any VA disiabilty rating for it.

I'm not a negative person but I would try and dissuade anyone from going into the field of law enforcement today. And I would never encourage somebody to go into the US Marshall's.

If somebody wants to do exciting schit and perform public service I'd be looking at a fireman/EMT gig.
I would look at the Coast Guard. They save lives, protect our nation and stay close to the United States and family is closer then if you are over seas. They have cool boats and their boarding parties are gunned up and learn to shoot and get paid to do it. Heck ya!

The medical field and electrical/electronics folks always find work.
Originally Posted by EdM

Then most definitely USCG. He can do a bunch of inter-agency work with DEA, Customs, etc etc.
MST is a good route to.

As an MST, your job may change with the operational tempo set by the extensive number of missions you will respond to throughout your career in the USCG. From protecting U.S. waters and the public from oil and hazardous material responses to conducting safety and security inspections, an MST plays the essential role of enforcing regulations for the safety of the marine environment and the security of the port.

As a port state control officer, an MST conducts vessel boardings to ensure compliance with applicable domestic laws and international treaties by checking structural and stability conditions; by verifying appropriate electrical, fire safety, lifesaving, mechanical and navigation systems; and by examining living conditions for crew members on foreign-flagged vessels.

On the waterfront, an MST will conduct commercial waterfront facility inspections to ensure compliance with safety and security federal regulations. An MST will also conduct shipping container inspections for hazardous material and structural compliance.

As an MST, your ability to plan makes you an invaluable asset to the setup and exercise planning of any incident command system for response to anything from local, port-security threats to natural and environmental disasters with nationwide impact.

In the maritime security role, an MST will enforce security requirements at waterfront facilities; and on foreign-flagged vessels. MSTs identify the actions required to respond to current and future security threats and concerns involving the maritime transportation system.
No brainer. Air Force

Pick a good technical field like cyber security or language school or in his case MP

Don’t major in crim Justice if he wants to work as a cop or as a fed. Take some cj classes but pick another major and pick up a language like Spanish. Much more marketable when he starts looking for work as an LEO

Yeh that.

USMS is an incredibly boring job for the most part transporting prisoners to and from court. Very few get to go out and chase bad guys

Originally Posted by EdM

I'm not a negative person but I would try and dissuade anyone from going into the field of law enforcement today. And I would never encourage somebody to go into the US Marshall's.

If somebody wants to do exciting schit and perform public service I'd be looking at a fireman/EMT gig.

Originally Posted by EdM

Originally Posted by drover
If he is a mature 17 then the military can be a good thing, if he is immature probably not so much.

I am speaking from personal experience from many years ago - I went into the Air Force at 17, a week after I graduated high school, at the time I went in I was immature and a bit directionless, by the time I got out of Basic Training and Technical School I was a different person. I not only had a skill but I had a life plan that served me well. Thanks to the training I received those many years ago I was retired by 60 and have three retirement incomes. Admittedly I did not go into the military with that as a goal but the values and skills they gave me enabled it.
Not only did it provide me with the skills and mind-set but it introduced me to a whole new life - I met folks from all over the US, it broadened my outlook on differences in folks from all part of the country - the most amazing thing to me is that we are more alike than different. I would much rather see young folks try the military rather than wasting a year or two at college with no idea of what they want to achieve.

Things may have changed a bit through the years but the Air Force and Navy both have excellent technical schools, the Marines and the Army
generally are more interested in warm bodies rather than skills.

I would say that my 6 years in the USMC mirrored drover's, when I enlisted I had no idea what field I wanted to work in so I started in motor transport
as a driver. in 2 years I was able to do what is called a (lateral move) and I went into Aviation maintenance. The military offers many opportunities that are not always evident up front.

drover

Worked for me, except I was a Maintenance Warrant.
Originally Posted by GunTruck50

Worked for me, except I was a Maintenance Warrant.

Bullshit.

How do you know Jorge?
The service for me was not an option. However, of the 10-15 or so HS classmates of mine who enlisted as a means of getting to college, they came out the far end as squared away people with good grades.
All have been impressively successful.
I went back to skool after a couple of years in the "real world" when I realized I could still grab some extra creds for relatively little. There were three of my classmates who were out of the service and in college with me, lets just say they were much more grown up than they had been, and took school seriously, studied hard, had focus, et cetera.
One went back in, grew a nice fruit salad, got a good civilian job after retirement. The others have all done really well and I'm proud of them.
Middlefork,
Get what in writing?

The job?
Nowadays he should be able to.

In my day, you could get a school in writing.

Needs of the Navy ya know--
At least he is looking at joining some branch of the military.
Says alot of good about him and how he has been raised up.
If he decides to join the army and wants a specific job of whatever.
Tell him to have his recruiter send him to mepps to asvab test and physical.
If he is an "A" 50 or above on the asvab and ain't a moral or med waiver
He will have alot of options based on his line scores.
If that exact job he wants is on the projection system that day for a training seat
He needs to lock it in immediately and contract.
Other kids are also Looking at jobs nationwide at the same exact moment.
Once they are filled based on projections. They are gone to who knows when based on quarterly projections

Now stuff gets interesting.....
If the job ain't their that day
Tell em Not to sign no matter the pressure from the guidance counseler to contract
(Most guidance counselers are duds who couldn't put kids in boots and want the easy life at mepps)

Kid stands his ground if he has "A" status, even better if a high "A" up to 99.

Now. When he gets home.You and him go sit down with the recruiter and station commander.
Tell the station commander to get your company 1sg and battalion Csm
To call the ROC /recruiting operations center at fort knox kentucky and lock in the job in projections under your boys SSN
At that mepps. It will happen, might be a Week or a month . He is high school correct?
Got all types of time to play with.
They give him a heads up 24-48hrs in advance to go to mepps and contract when Th at job is their under his and only his SSN
Might get bonus ,airborne ,duty station of choice who knows ????
It's all based on projected needs
He already has a test and phys in place .
Too easy to wait for that call to go to mepps on a short notice
If he dosnt show for it
That projection will show nationwide that day and some kid somewhere will get that
Willy Wonka golden ticket.

When I was a recruiter from 98- 01
We could make chyt happen for quality applicants
A,s, High A,s with no med or moral waivers
Graduate A,s

People that was B,s and had med or moral issues
Ya get your specific job choice on what they qual for that day available on projections.
A "B" wanta play games, specially one with moral or med waiver
Stuff. Myself I would move on find an A, let the B come back once they see that what I told em was all true about line scores and GT.
Many times when I couldn't touch a B for months on end .
Specially a graduate B
I would go throw the navy or marine guys a bone after explaining all to an applicant
Wanting to join the military
Many times the air force could not touch B,s also.

Alot of time we couldn't even touch a high school B even with no med or moral issues for months on end due to delayed entry
But could put on a graduate B able to ship within 14 days.

It is a strange game
You are a headhunter looking for people with high mental and physical categories.
And then ya gotta find the ones that wanta join.

It was the longest 3 yrs of my 24.

I ain't gonna talk bad about the other branches recruiting
But in the army you can get a guaranteed specific job based on your line scores and gt score.
If ya don't qualify to be a military intelligence signal equipment repairer based on your scores
But you qualify to be an air traffic controller and that's what ya want that's what ya get if available.

If that army recruiting station/company/battalion can't lock in job at the roc for a quality A
then that chain of command sucks and ain't got no ommpf.

If ya wanna call me, pm me your # I will talk to ya and your boy on speaker
If ya want
I can ask your boy 2 questions and know if he is an "A" or a "B"
And med and moral screen him while you listen.
No names involved, just user name on the phone and pm.
Btt
I see that you was on here last night.
If my well deserved, self made tarnished reputation on here precedes me
and deters you from some advice per my post which is 100% factual.
So be it......
79S probably won't mind if ya pm him and bounce some stuff off him and fact check me
on what I posted.
He is experienced and well versed in similar aspects of his job in army in relation to what I posted I am sure.

Either way your boy sounds like a hard charger in whatever course he pursues.
Originally Posted by renegade50
At least he is looking at joining some branch of the military.
Says alot of good about him and how he has been raised up.
If he decides to join the army and wants a specific job of whatever.
Tell him to have his recruiter send him to mepps to asvab test and physical.
If he is an "A" 50 or above on the asvab and ain't a moral or med waiver
He will have alot of options based on his line scores.
If that exact job he wants is on the projection system that day for a training seat
He needs to lock it in immediately and contract.
Other kids are also Looking at jobs nationwide at the same exact moment.
Once they are filled based on projections. They are gone to who knows when based on quarterly projections

Now stuff gets interesting.....
If the job ain't their that day
Tell em Not to sign no matter the pressure from the guidance counseler to contract
(Most guidance counselers are duds who couldn't put kids in boots and want the easy life at mepps)

Kid stands his ground if he has "A" status, even better if a high "A" up to 99.

Now. When he gets home.You and him go sit down with the recruiter and station commander.
Tell the station commander to get your company 1sg and battalion Csm
To call the ROC /recruiting operations center at fort knox kentucky and lock in the job in projections under your boys SSN
At that mepps. It will happen, might be a Week or a month . He is high school correct?
Got all types of time to play with.
They give him a heads up 24-48hrs in advance to go to mepps and contract when Th at job is their under his and only his SSN
Might get bonus ,airborne ,duty station of choice who knows ????
It's all based on projected needs
He already has a test and phys in place .
Too easy to wait for that call to go to mepps on a short notice
If he dosnt show for it
That projection will show nationwide that day and some kid somewhere will get that
Willy Wonka golden ticket.

When I was a recruiter from 98- 01
We could make chyt happen for quality applicants
A,s, High A,s with no med or moral waivers
Graduate A,s

People that was B,s and had med or moral issues
Ya get your specific job choice on what they qual for that day available on projections.
A "B" wanta play games, specially one with moral or med waiver
Stuff. Myself I would move on find an A, let the B come back once they see that what I told em was all true about line scores and GT.
Many times when I couldn't touch a B for months on end .
Specially a graduate B
I would go throw the navy or marine guys a bone after explaining all to an applicant
Wanting to join the military
Many times the air force could not touch B,s also.

Alot of time we couldn't even touch a high school B even with no med or moral issues for months on end due to delayed entry
But could put on a graduate B able to ship within 14 days.

It is a strange game
You are a headhunter looking for people with high mental and physical categories.
And then ya gotta find the ones that wanta join.

It was the longest 3 yrs of my 24.

I ain't gonna talk bad about the other branches recruiting
But in the army you can get a guaranteed specific job based on your line scores and gt score.
If ya don't qualify to be a military intelligence signal equipment repairer based on your scores
But you qualify to be an air traffic controller and that's what ya want that's what ya get if available.

If that army recruiting station/company/battalion can't lock in job at the roc for a quality A
then that chain of command sucks and ain't got no ommpf.

If ya wanna call me, pm me your # I will talk to ya and your boy on speaker
If ya want
I can ask your boy 2 questions and know if he is an "A" or a "B"
And med and moral screen him while you listen.
No names involved, just user name on the phone and pm.

Is it just me, or was this one of the better posts we've had on the 'Fire for awhile?
It's not just you.
My son is in the army...he chose the army because there is way mor opertunity there than other branches....he started out wrenching on chinooks..now is flying Blackhawks...seems you can go as far as your apatude will take you..
© 24hourcampfire