Home
Posted By: hatari Seasoning steaks for the grill - 08/14/18
I'm craving a big Porterhouse steak on the grill.

I often go with either plain salt and cracket pepper, or Montreal seasoning. Shout out with your favorites!

[Linked Image]
Salt, pepper and garlic on pretty much every piece of meat I cook.
Love a nice porterhouse!

Mine would go on the grill nekkid. When it came off, it'd get a generous sprinkling of coarse sea salt and a few turns of the peppermill before being set aside to rest for a few.
Cracked black peppercorn and something along the lines of Slap Ya Mama or other decent Cajun type seasoning.
I do like a simple rub with some coffee in it. S&P, garlic, paprika, and some fine ground coffee. Really good on greasey steaks like rib eye.
Most of the time Montreal seasoning before it hits the grill. Lately I have been marinating some steaks in Lea and Perkins Marinade, then searing them a little bit when they first hit the grill, those steaks were pretty tasty. Hard to say which ones I like the best, I am always open to new ways of grilling steaks. I know a lot of people use Kosher Salt and pepper only before the steak hits the grill.
I marinate with teriyaki for a few hours in the refrig, remove from frig add sea salt and fresh ground pepper before putting on the grill. I do this with rib eyes, pork steaks and burgers, sometimes substitute alderwood smoked salt for the sea salt.
Salt and pepper.
A 30-40 minute soak with Worcestershire, season salt, Montreal steak season you can’t go wrong.
Salt and pepper with a splash of Worstershire, on a bed of mashed taters.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by hatari
I often go with either plain salt and cracket pepper, or Montreal seasoning.

I do about the same here but usually add a little garlic with the S&P. I used to experiment more with various rubs and marinades, but now keep it simple for the most part. Weber has a couple of different steak rubs that are pretty good as well.
Usually just some Johnny's.
Our family has done well ( Jocko's Restaurant Nipomo CA) using a mix of 12 parts salt, two parts granulated garlic, one part pepper by volume to season their steaks. They have been busy for over 60 years using that mix with well aged beef ......
Originally Posted by Toddly
Salt and pepper with a splash of Worstershire, on a bed of mashed taters.

[Linked Image]

I live about two hours southeast of you. No shrimp to be found in our area. DARN!
A very fine layer of olive oil, coarse salt, white pepper and granulated garlic.

Otherwise, marinade in Dale’s for 12+ hours and then a little garlic just before the grill.
Room temp, LIGHT Montreal about 30 min before massaged into meat.

Screaming hot grill, couple minutes each side, pull at 120, pat of salted butter and rest for 15min tented.

[Linked Image]
Garlic salt and peppercorns out of a grinder applied right before they go on the grill.
I used to like Montreal until I found Chicago steak seasoning. To my tastebuds it's better, more garlic, less black pepper. If I make too many to eat, the leftover steak gets wrapped in foil with some butter on top and thrown in the oven till the fat is hot and melty again.
That looks damned good fatcity
Salt, coarse ground black pepper, and just a pinch of smoked paprika
Passed on from pop, been doing 'em this way for years;
Lawreys Seasoned Salt
Kikomans Soy Sauce
Garlic Powder
Adolph's Meat Tenderizer

Toss 'em in a pan, light sprinkle of all powders on both sides, double splash of soy sauce, sit for 4+ hours, grill...
Hard to beat kosher salt and fresh ground pepper.

Sometimes a 15 minutes marinade of 50/50 soy and Canadian whiskey plus S&P. Tasty..
Your very correct about the heavy pepper in Montreal. I’ll look for Chicago Steak seasoning. The reason I really like the Montreal is thesemi dry garlic chunks take on a perfect consistency in my above prep for grilling.

Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
I used to like Montreal until I found Chicago steak seasoning. To my tastebuds it's better, more garlic, less black pepper. If I make too many to eat, the leftover steak gets wrapped in foil with some butter on top and thrown in the oven till the fat is hot and melty again.
I usually rub them with kosher salt, black pepper, granulated garlic and ground coriander. Wrap in plastic, give at least a few hours or overnight. I get my porterhouse steaks cut thick, 2 1/2 to 3 inches, depending on how many it’s for. Stand them up on the flat end on the cool side of the grill (away from the charcoal) , strip side toward the heat, tenderloin side away from the heat with my wireless thermometer probe right down the middle of the strip. Mesquite chunks in a pretty slow burn...when it hits 90 degrees take off the lid, open up the vents and flip it back and forth right over the charcoal and mesquite to sear the outside until I get 120 - 125 on my instant read thermometer. Let set, cut both chunks off the bone, put the bone on a serving platter, slice up both chunks,reassemble around the bone and put it on the table. Very popular at our house or the in-laws.
Originally Posted by FatCity67
Your very correct about the heavy pepper in Montreal. I’ll look for Chicago Steak seasoning. The reason I really like the Montreal is thesemi dry garlic chunks take on a perfect consistency in my above prep for grilling.

Chicago is just like Montreal with the dried chunks of garlic, but like I said I prefer the blend, I'm not big on black pepper. FWIW a pinch of Montreal in a glass of warm High Life is simply amazing.
Originally Posted by 30Gibbs
Our family has done well ( Jocko's Restaurant Nipomo CA) using a mix of 12 parts salt, two parts granulated garlic, one part pepper by volume to season their steaks. They have been busy for over 60 years using that mix with well aged beef ......

Man i love that place! Used to get there a couple times a year. Small spencer steak is huge, one of my favorite places to get a steak anywhere. I loved that they cut their own taters for the french fries.

Chicago is just like Montreal with the dried chunks of garlic, but like I said I prefer the blend, I'm not big on black pepper. FWIW a pinch of Montreal in a glass of warm High Life is simply amazing.

Yeah, I’ll take your word for it on that one.

Very simple...

Take the elk tenderloins and tie them together with butter and Seasoned salt and course ground black pepper in the middle. Season the outside with the same salt and pepper. Turn on the smoker grill and cook at about 350 degrees with lots of chips and smoke. Cut the string and finish the tenderloins until pink in the middle, there isn't any red meat that will top this...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Salt and pepper.... I like the taste of steak..
Originally Posted by shrapnel

Very simple...

Take the elk tenderloins and tie them together with butter and Seasoned salt and course ground black pepper in the middle. Season the outside with the same salt and pepper. Turn on the smoker grill and cook at about 350 degrees with lots of chips and smoke. Cut the string and finish the tenderloins until pink in the middle, there isn't any red meat that will top this...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Shrapnel, looks damn good...
Posted By: EdM Re: Saesoning steaks for the grill - 08/14/18
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Love a nice porterhouse!

Mine would go on the grill nekkid. When it came off, it'd get a generous sprinkling of coarse sea salt and a few turns of the peppermill before being set aside to rest for a few.

This.

It’s taken me awhile but I have finally boiled it down (pun intended) to a 2.5” ribeye sprinkled with Montreal Steak Seasoning placed on very hot grill — 500*-600*. When the centrally-placed, internal, thermometer hits 100* I flip it to the other side. When I see 120* I remove it from the grill to rest; it usually reaches ~ 140*, rare to med rare, in the next ten minutes.
Olive oil. Sea salt. Black pepper and cavenders Greek seasoning.
This thread made me hungry for steak. My preference nowadays is Axis steaks medium rare.

Steinbrenner, here's the way I like 'em.....

A little of this goes a long way........
https://www.meatchurch.com/products/holy-cow-meat-rub
I like to apply it and let is sit for at least 30 minutes. I'll add a little garlic salt as well.

After pan searing in olive oil for 2 minutes per side, I like to dump in a lump of this stuff.........
https://www.amazon.com/Chef-Shamy-Garlic-Butter-Parmesan/dp/B01M1AYZQB
It is freaking ridiculous when melted over the top of the steaks.

Let them sit for 5 minutes or so, then wash down with a liberal amount of suds.

[Linked Image]
Just Kosher Salt. I've also noticed that most of my grilling utensils weigh about 12 oz. so I make sure I always have a "counter weight" handy.
Do youse guys not like the taste of beef??

Salt and pepper only!

Okay.....maybe a sirloin or a London broil you can get creative with.

But a good cut should not be messed with.

Next thing you lot will start a steak sauce thread!
I know a guy that puts ketchup on any cut of beef regardless how good it is. How the hell do you learn that habit?
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Salt and pepper only!

Pass me the Heinz please....

Paging Mr Mathman..... grin
Originally Posted by jmp300wsm
I know a guy that puts ketchup on any cut of beef regardless how good it is. How the hell do you learn that habit?

He sure didn't learn it from me, but I have a 16 yo stepson who slathers his steak (no matter how good) with ketchup. Turns my stomach, but he's such a good kid I can't say much....just hoping he'll grow out of it.
I learned how to grill in Argentina. They only cook steaks over medium hot charcoal, and only use coarse salt for seasoning. If you use a decent grade of meat, it comes out amazing. My favorite cut of meat is "colita de quadril", or tri-tip.

When I do meat for fajitas, I use a flat iron steak, marinate it for 4-5 hours in equal parts lime juice, soy sauce, and whiskey. Grill it hot for a few minutes on a side. Yum. Flank steak and skirt steak work well too, but more $ and no difference in taste really.

Salt and pepper only!

Word.
Damn, this thread has had me hungry all afternoon, all I have is a pot of elk chili in the fridge, that will have too do. smile
I season my steaks with shrimp and conecuh sausage 👍😄

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by slumlord
I season my steaks with shrimp and conecuh sausage 👍😄

I'm about to go load up a pyrex bowl of chili, eyes caint take no mo. cry
I got me some lawn mower beer to wash it down

Miller lite tall boys was on sale at dollar general. Woooo!!!

Will Bristoe approve of that? grin
Salt, pepper, lite on garlic powder.
Lite Lea and Perrins W-sauce.

Let set awhile.
Little olive oil coat to help them brown up pretty.

Eat all the ketchup you like, it your steak.

Yes I do like beef, alot.
Some light seasoning can add to or enhance the flavor.

A heavy marinade makes it taste like,

marinade.

I often go with either plain salt and cracket pepper, or Montreal seasoning. Shout out with your favorites!

[Linked Image]

Those are my three for steak.

Before or after the grill.
[Linked Image]
Yes.
Ok who let the puritanistic reactionary in? grin

Salt and pepper only!

And I been chasing godddddamn cows around the hills for the last two days. Only one more tired and pissed than me is the horse.

Enjoy your steaks gentlemen.
Originally Posted by jmp300wsm

Speaking of ketchup

Anyone know if wabigoon is alright. Seems like he's been quiet
Richard did a quick post in his peach pie thread a few hours ago. Bragging about his wife and her pies. smile
I mix up my own rub. Exactly what’s in it is even a mystery to me.

[Linked Image]
Dry the steak with a paper towel. Creole seasoning and Cavendars Greek seasoning early in the day. let it sit with the seasoning on it in the fridge. Take it out and let it warm up before cooking on a hot charcoal with some wood chunks for smoke, Apple, Hickory, Black Walnut or Pecan. Rare or Medium rare.
Originally Posted by gunner500

I'm about to go load up a pyrex bowl of chili, eyes caint take no mo. cry

Just say the word and I'll have a 55 gallon drum of liquid cork headed your way...........
Who hasn't started dumping spices on meat, then couldn't remember WTF they had used.
Salt and pepper, cook with mesquite wood.

Best flavor there is.
River Ridge, is that you, Ernie!
Montreal and a little extra pepper. Nothing else.
coarse salt pepper and butter
Bourbon. For both the steak and the cook.

Add bourbon to your favorite marinade, anywhere from a shot up to about half and half depending on how happy you like your steak.
Originally Posted by hanco

Best flavor there is.

Hard to beat right there! But I have to add just a little garlic powder on mine.

WOW!!! We love Jockos! It's a must do when we hit the central coast. I lived in Santa Maria as a little kid, moved to SoCal in 68. To all the other campers, Jockos is a must do if you are out on the central coast of California.
Originally Posted by watch4bear
[Linked Image]

We finally have a winner!

Room temp steak, nice dusting of Cavender's, sear off HOT. Let rest. Touch of fresh ground pepper and a rub of real butter, if that is your thing.
Originally Posted by Hogwild7
Dry the steak with a paper towel. Creole seasoning and Cavendars Greek seasoning............

Runner up!
IMHO good steak, either grass-fed beef or wild-shot venison, has enough flavour without adding anything really, except perhaps a bit of salt. I only give it a bit of a sprinkle of salt and sear it on a really hot grill. I like either of them quite rare and well rested.
Lots of mention of Montreal seasoning but I have found it to be too salty. I like to salt 5 minutes before grilling. Too long will start to pull moisture out of it. You seen what happens when you salt a fresh hide.
Like many other, salt, pepper and garlic powder.
Salt only. And no resting. Eat it hot right off the grilll. I hate letting it get cold while "resting." It wasn't tired.
Cavenders Greek Seasoning is my favorite.
Olive oil, salt and pepper. Let the meat speak for itself.
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by hanco

Best flavor there is.

Hard to beat right there! But I have to add just a little garlic powder on mine.

Unless you happen to be allergic to the Mesquite wood resin. With each successive cook, more of the resin is deposited in the pit. Didn't take us (the whole family) but two separate cookings, with the onset of diarrhea within an hour after both, to get the hint. Got rid of the Mesquite, steam cleaned my pit out and ran a couple of really hot burns through it with oak. Did my next grilling with oak and everything, including the aftermath, was great.

I use Sea Salt. It has larger crystals and dissolves a little slower than table salt.
Best seasoning in the country comes from Deemo's Meats in Ennis Montana. Their own blend.
Oh I used to be a Montreals addict until I was turned on to this stuff.
Anyway I got six bottles in the pantry. Should last me until I can get down there again.
If I do happen to run out, It's worth a road trip.

And if you want to add bacon...

[Linked Image]
uncle chris's or salt pepper and garlic
Maple syrup belongs on pancakes, not bacon. smile miles
Originally Posted by JGRaider
This thread made me hungry for steak. My preference nowadays is Axis steaks medium rare.

Steinbrenner, here's the way I like 'em.....

A little of this goes a long way........
https://www.meatchurch.com/products/holy-cow-meat-rub
I like to apply it and let is sit for at least 30 minutes. I'll add a little garlic salt as well.

After pan searing in olive oil for 2 minutes per side, I like to dump in a lump of this stuff.........
https://www.amazon.com/Chef-Shamy-Garlic-Butter-Parmesan/dp/B01M1AYZQB
It is freaking ridiculous when melted over the top of the steaks.

Let them sit for 5 minutes or so, then wash down with a liberal amount of suds.

[Linked Image]

Looks serious delish! Axis is some extra tasty stuff. I will investigate thoroughly. wink
Someone mentioned Dale's marinade. That stuff is made with chemistry set fake soy sauce as the main ingredient. Simply bad.

Making your own marinade based on real brewed soy sauce would provide a vast improvement in flavor.
For me it's coarse salt and black pepper.
italian dressing
Zip Sauce

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/48919/kims-zippy-sauce/

If you go to that link, you'll see my review:

It's a steak sauce, it's a mult-purpose marinade. It's a varnish stripper. It's everything real men demand of an industrial steak sauce. Forget A-1. This is the real thing. Warning: zip sauce needs to be used only by real men and real women. If you're in doubt about what side of the fence you're on, you're in for a rough ride with this sauce. This is not something you want to just pour on your polite little ribeye. It will refuse to be placed on anything less than a 1.25" thick strip sirloin-- butcher shop stuff-- forget Kroger. Whatever you do, do not put a California freakin' vegetable medley anywhere near this sauce. It'll chase it off the plate, and then turn around and come after you. About the only thing it will tolerate on the same plate is a baked Idaho potato. A wine selection: screw the wine. This sauce demands Scotch, neat. Although I have heard of some folks doing this sauce with a stiff Manhattan. Make sure you do two good ones while the steak is grilling , and then gun down the third before your first bite. You'll be channeling Hunter S. Thompson and Rodney Dangerfield before you wrestle the dog for the last scrap of fat. After you pick yourself off the floor, THEN you can talk about wine. Afterwards, sweep the dishes off the table and grab your partner by the hair and show her what real men and real women do. She'll understand and be ready.
Originally Posted by milespatton
Maple syrup belongs on pancakes, not bacon. smile miles

Sheeit, ninja please

Maybe if youre diabetic

I put it on my smoked sausage, country ham, bacon, i pour maple syrup on ice cream

pffft

Mathman, there are a lot of “chemistry set” processed “foods” out there. 🙂
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

What passes for soy sauce is a pet peeve of mine.
Salt and pepper. I try and buy good meat and I like the taste of it. I wouldnt throw a ribeye in the dirt if you messed up and put anything else on it.
I never heard of a reaction to mesquite wood. Pecan is good too. Oak is OK, I guess
I love Dales

I've been to some of the best steak houses around (favorite is the Tomahawk) but Dales has ruined me on eating any steak coming from a chain. There is no flavor at all with Outback or Texas Roadhouse steaks.
Originally Posted by KFWA
I love Dales

I've been to some of the best steak houses around (favorite is the Tomahawk) but Dales has ruined me on eating any steak coming from a chain. There is no flavor at all with Outback or Texas Roadhouse steaks.

Step up your game, make your own marinade.
Originally Posted by mathman

One of several.....apparently.

Gotta educate the heathens. grin
I like to grill a london broil. It is marinated.

Wife makes a good marinate.....even has a little Dijon mustard in it.

Last night with those rib steaks I posted....I did add a little butter to my steak as it rested.

So, I guess I should not throw stones at the Ketchup/dry rub crowd.
The ketchup crowd deserves a stone.

Gotta educate the heathens. grin

I am certainly in the heathen category.

Yesterday I was shopping for groceries. Looking for something to season my shrimp skewers with.

Found a garlic/sea salt grinder. Was very good after brushing the shrimps with a little EV olive oil.

In the next isle I was able to locate some Chef Boyardee "throw back" recipe canned beef ravioli. VERY hard to find up here.

I bought 8 cans.

So maybe I am half a heathen....I like fine dining and Spam.
The ketchup crowd deserves a stone.

laugh
I love Dales

nah, I'm a Dales guy, have been for going on 30 years now. Its so popular around here, Kroger even makes a knockoff brand of it.

I don't doubt that if I was serious about it I could do what you said but I have no problem buying $9 a pound NY strips at Costco , marinating them in Dales for 4 hours and throwing them on the grill.

That's my wheel house when it comes to steaks. Anything more high brow than that would be putting lipstick on a pig (or cow in this case) at my house.
Nothing high brow, just some Kikkoman soy sauce as the base, add some powdered onion and garlic, some ginger, and I forget what else is in Dales.
I grill steaks about every Sunday evening & have tried nearly everything mentioned in these 4 pages.

Thankfully for me, I no longer use lotions potions sauces marinates or soaks.

Coarse salt, coarse pepper, garlic salt rubbed into a cold strip loin about 1 1/2" with plenty of fat left on for good drippings & smoke @ 600 degrees to rare, med. rare.

"The most rewarding thing I've done so far is let the steak rest for 10 minutes with a pat of butter on top before slicing". Obvious results for tenderer, juicier steak. If I feel the steak has gotten too cool to suit, I pitch it back on the heat for a few seconds.
Originally Posted by TwoEyedJack
I learned how to grill in Argentina. They only cook steaks over medium hot charcoal, and only use coarse salt for seasoning. If you use a decent grade of meat, it comes out amazing. My favorite cut of meat is "colita de quadril", or tri-tip.

When I do meat for fajitas, I use a flat iron steak, marinate it for 4-5 hours in equal parts lime juice, soy sauce, and whiskey. Grill it hot for a few minutes on a side. Yum. Flank steak and skirt steak work well too, but more $ and no difference in taste really.

You mean like this ?

[Linked Image]
I like to rub a little Demetrie's bloody Mary mix on tri-tips and steaks.

It's also very good on a Prime Rib.

Virgil B.

Amen to Jocko's

We have eaten at your place 3 times, wish we lived closer.

If you haven't seen the pit they use, and I believe red oak wood, you're missing out.
For me it's coarse salt and black pepper.

For the grill, yes to this !

If doing in roaring hot cast iron, S&P both sides of room temp steaks, sear to form crust & once flipped add good pat of butter & some thyme or rosemary springs, once foamy, continually spoon over cooked side until internal of 118-120.

Let rest to redistribute juices.

Once ready for the table/plate, a squeeze of fresh lemon juice.

Trust me, outta dis world !
Originally Posted by hemiallen

Amen to Jocko's
We have eaten at your place 3 times, wish we lived closer.
If you haven't seen the pit they use, and I believe red oak wood, you're missing out.

Jocko’s is a Central Coast Institution. Was a faithful monthly stop when I was managing a few businesses In the are in the 90’s.

Need to get back there some day.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Melted butter in a hot cast iron skillet, salt and pepper only... no need for anything else.

Phil
I buy angus steaks and cook on a charcoal grill with no seasoning.
I love Dales

nah, I'm a Dales guy, have been for going on 30 years now. Its so popular around here, Kroger even makes a knockoff brand of it.

I don't doubt that if I was serious about it I could do what you said but I have no problem buying $9 a pound NY strips at Costco , marinating them in Dales for 4 hours and throwing them on the grill.

That's my wheel house when it comes to steaks. Anything more high brow than that would be putting lipstick on a pig (or cow in this case) at my house.

You do that to a strip steak?
Just some salt and pepper if its a high quality steak! My good friend owns a micro brewery and he gives me all of the mash after he makes beer with it. I fatten beefs on it for 120-150 days and boy do they make a steak! Cutum with a fork and melt in ur mouth.
Originally Posted by Farmerbrown32
Just some salt and pepper if its a high quality steak! My good friend owns a micro brewery and he gives me all of the mash after he makes beer with it. I fatten beefs on it for 120-150 days and boy do they make a steak! Cutum with a fork and melt in ur mouth.

Nordakoda "Kobe" beef. grin

Very nice. Love the seafood with prairie food.
Btw a ribeye is the best steak on the planet. Just felt the need to throw that out there.

It's quite possibly the best food on the planet, period.

Why wreck it. Salt and pepper is all it needs.
Pepper before but salt after it's off the grill. Good steak needs to sit out a goodish while before it's cooked to sit at room temperature.
Oh boy, Katie bar the doors. Hope Big Jim is one his tractor. LOL
There are grill masters that say no cracked black pepper before putting on a hot grill or hot pan because the pepper just burns anyway. Same with granulated garlic and Montreal steak seasoning. I tend to agree.

I usually use EVOO and sea salt. Some S & P while it's resting. I also like Paula Deen's house spice mix of 1 part kosher salt with 1/4 garlic powder and 1/4 ground pepper. Good stuff.

I also use Lawry's and Montreal Steak seasoning, depending on what I'm feeling that day. Basting with a compound butter takes it to another level.

Steak tip of the day: make sure the meat is at room temp before cooking. Thank me later.
I love Dales

I love Dales! Really good with grilled fish too. I don't use it on my favorite cuts of grilling beef though.Usually london broils, some sirloins, etc....it's great.

A bit off topic, used to be a dive in Atlanta called Fuzzy's place. Joe Dale of Dales steak sauce fame ran the kitchen and holy schit was the food good. Joe Dale had owned a bunch of restaurants, created the steak sauce etc...but cooked at this tiny dive bar/music club through the 90's.

I just read it had closed some time ago and Joe Dale died back in 07.

Godspeed!
Originally Posted by CharlieFoxtrot
There are grill masters that say no cracked black pepper before putting on a hot grill or hot pan because the pepper just burns anyway. Same with granulated garlic and Montreal steak seasoning. I tend to agree.

I usually use EVOO and sea salt. Some S & P while it's resting. I also like Paula Deen's house spice mix of 1 part kosher salt with 1/4 garlic powder and 1/4 ground pepper. Good stuff.

I also use Lawry's and Montreal Steak seasoning, depending on what I'm feeling that day. Basting with a compound butter takes it to another level.

Steak tip of the day: make sure the meat is at room temp before cooking. Thank me later.

Pepper does burn of course, and can get a bit bitter when it does. I like to pepper after grilling, but it sure don't hurt my feelings to pepper before.
Talking to a person at Ruth Chris, they told me all they use is salt, pepper, butter and garlic - and their meat is aged 21 days.

I don't know anything about aging meat 21 days. I can't keep deli ham for more than 7!
Originally Posted by CharlieFoxtrot

I put nothing but salt for the hot pan method. My grilling is more gentle and there are no problems.

Me too! I work for a brewing company. Twice a week I haul four or five 32 gallon cans of spent grain to my steers. Mix half a barrel of it with a bit of cattle fattner or some sweet feed and they love the schit out of it!

The boys is getting fat and happy!

sure - no complaints at my house.

Nordakobe!
Penzey's chicago steak seasoning is great.

Also, have been using this on my game lately and its great. I am a fan of a lot of their products (no affiliation). I bought a bunch for my FIL for his birthday and he's now a convert too.

https://www.oakridgebbq.com/product/signature-edition-carne-crosta-steakhouse-rub/

Nordakobe!

Oh man....You gotta patent that, Farmerbrown!
Anyone want to know how, "he who shall not be named" cocks his meat ?

grin

Thought not !
Originally Posted by New_2_99s

grin

Thought not !

I don't want to know how anyone "cocks" their meat. laugh
Talking to a person at Ruth Chris, they told me all they use is salt, pepper, butter and garlic - and their meat is aged 21 days.

I don't know anything about aging meat 21 days. I can't keep deli ham for more than 7!

Tons of info on how high end steak houses age their beef...…. safely.

Tons more info on homegrown methods that could get you in a really bad way.

Google it, I found out how to age, but I certainly don't feel I have the equipment or the balls to do it at home.
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
Btw a ribeye is the best steak on the planet. Just felt the need to throw that out there.

It's quite possibly the best food on the planet, period.

Why wreck it. Salt and pepper is all it needs.

That's the truth. Keep the fillet....

Light rub of olive oil, kosher salt, cracked pepper. Hot cast iron pan, sear both sides and finish in the oven with a couple of pats of butter on top.

Best way to roll, IMO.
Originally Posted by gunzo

Tons of info on how high end steak houses age their beef...…. safely.

Tons more info on homegrown methods that could get you in a really bad way.

Google it, I found out how to age, but I certainly don't feel I have the equipment or the balls to do it at home.

I have a steer headed to the butcher in mid October. He'll hang for 21 days!
Originally Posted by JakeBlues

What he said.
Posted By: sse Re: Saesoning steaks for the grill - 08/15/18
Light rub of olive oil

Doing a lunch for 65 on Sunday, New York Strips, and this is what I do, then put a little teaser of seasoning on it.
Originally Posted by shaman
Zip Sauce

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/48919/kims-zippy-sauce/

If you go to that link, you'll see my review:

It's a steak sauce, it's a mult-purpose marinade. It's a varnish stripper. It's everything real men demand of an industrial steak sauce. Forget A-1. This is the real thing. Warning: zip sauce needs to be used only by real men and real women. If you're in doubt about what side of the fence you're on, you're in for a rough ride with this sauce. This is not something you want to just pour on your polite little ribeye. It will refuse to be placed on anything less than a 1.25" thick strip sirloin-- butcher shop stuff-- forget Kroger. Whatever you do, do not put a California freakin' vegetable medley anywhere near this sauce. It'll chase it off the plate, and then turn around and come after you. About the only thing it will tolerate on the same plate is a baked Idaho potato. A wine selection: screw the wine. This sauce demands Scotch, neat. Although I have heard of some folks doing this sauce with a stiff Manhattan. Make sure you do two good ones while the steak is grilling , and then gun down the third before your first bite. You'll be channeling Hunter S. Thompson and Rodney Dangerfield before you wrestle the dog for the last scrap of fat. After you pick yourself off the floor, THEN you can talk about wine. Afterwards, sweep the dishes off the table and grab your partner by the hair and show her what real men and real women do. She'll understand and be ready.

Zip Sauce! I forgot about this stuff
I do A few splashes of soy a few splashes of Worcestershire and Montreal a few hours before throwing on the grill.

grin

Thought not !

I don't want to know how anyone "cocks" their meat. laugh

It wasn't freudian, it was intentional & I also used "meat" instead of steak !
drink alot of beer then pee on it and cook.....

Ruth's Chris steak houses have a big reputation. We went to one in Greensboro, NC last March. Had a rib eye.

I was notably unimpressed. I make better steak at home.

Originally Posted by sharp_things
Originally Posted by JakeBlues

What She said.

Well, there she "blows" !

The arsehole authority couldn't hold back.
Originally Posted by ironbender

Ruth's Chris steak houses have a big reputation. We went to one in Greensboro, NC last March. Had a rib eye.

Yup, us too !

& not just steak.
Originally Posted by stxhunter

If it's Coors Light you could cut out the middleman and just pour it on straight out of the can.
Originally Posted by stxhunter

If it's Coors Light you could cut out the middleman and just pour it on straight out of the can.

finally i agree with you on something
Need to buy better grades of steak if you need pee or beer on it.

Yup, us too !

& not just steak.

I think we could have a bit o'fun around a grill, Paul!
Yes Sir Mr Bender !!

Yup, us too !

& not just steak.

will you 2 just get a room?
tag
that's what I was saying about some of the other steak houses like Outback and Texas Roadhouse

There isn't a steak they serve that I'd want to eat over what I can make at home.

Now I've only eaten at Ruth Chris once, but I have eaten at a bunch of other higher end steak houses - and it comes down to own personal tastes. I can't remember a steak I didn't like at those types of places. But I didn't have to pay for them either. You hit me up with an $80 steak it better be something special.

my $9 Costco steak and $3.29 Dales is great for me.
Don't kid yourself, Costco has excellent meat. They often carry USDA Prime at a great price. With that, on your own grill, you can top any high end steak chain. Yum!
Settle down, Nancy!
wink
The only thing you can’t beat the Top Steak Houses is the dry aging.

Well having said that I sure few of you have your own environmentally controlled aging rooms.
Originally Posted by sse

Yup, us too !

& not just steak.

will you 2 just get a room?

Hey, you got some butter to spare ?
Settle down, Nancy!
wink

grin

Full disclosure; I grew pretty fond of Alaskan Amber, when I was up there, end of July & 1st week of August.

Also, I may have burnt myself, once or twice, running the grill.

smile

Well having said that I sure few of you have your own environmentally controlled aging rooms.

I can match it though. A local grocer/butcher dry ages prime beef.

I can match it though. A local grocer/butcher dry ages prime beef.

That’s always an option.

[Linked Image]

3 tablespoons salt, 1 Lawreys seasoning salt, 1 tablespoon paprika and two black pepper per quart of water. Brine for 2-1/2 hours.
I grew pretty fond of Alaskan Amber

I think I know her, wasn't she dancing at the Great Alaskan Bush Company? cool
Possibly, she was my corseted server wench, at the Red Dog Saloon !

wink

Now, back to my earlier question; Do you have any butter to spare ?
i am surprised that none of you has mentioned lee and Perrins can be bought in a powder form for rubbing in steak.
or using bacon grease to rub into a steak.
As to the ketchup, ex son in law would do that, acquired taste.
Originally Posted by Armednfree

[Linked Image]

3 tablespoons salt, 1 Lawreys seasoning salt, 1 tablespoon paprika and two black pepper per quart of water. Brine for 2-1/2 hours.

Now I have heard everything.
Possibly, she was my corseted server wench, at the Red Dog Saloon !

wink

Now, back to my earlier question; Do you have any butter to spare ?

Did her hips bring the tips?

[Linked Image]

So you've never heard of brining meat.

https://www.thekitchn.com/use-a-quick-brine-to-make-any-cut-more-tender-47879

But you do need to take it out and pat it dry, so you get the Maillard reaction. to really get that reaction brush it with melted butter.
I'm fixing to grill up a couple of NY strips.

Going with my standby marinade.

1 cup ketchup

1 cup olive oil

1 cup maple syrup

1/2 cup ranch salad dressing

1/2 cup of Hawaiian Tropic SPF 45 suntan lotion

1/2 cup Miracle Whip

8 tablespoons of salt

12 garlic cloves

3 lemons

5 teaspoons of Seafoam

3 tablespoons of organic Portuguese ground cumin

Add steak and allow to marinate 2-3 days depending on taste....
Pretty hard to ruin a piece of meet with Tony Cacheries, add worchester if beef.
Originally Posted by TimberRunner
Penzey's chicago steak seasoning is great.

Also, have been using this on my game lately and its great. I am a fan of a lot of their products (no affiliation). I bought a bunch for my FIL for his birthday and he's now a convert too.

https://www.oakridgebbq.com/product/signature-edition-carne-crosta-steakhouse-rub/

When I mentioned the Weber rubs in my earlier post, their Chicago Steak rub was the one I was thinking of. I use that frequently (more than Montreal) and will have to give the Penzey's a try. Oh, and I went to your link and just placed an order from Oak Ridge BBQ...
Pappy’s Choice Seasoning.

Hit both sides with just enough to see the color of the paprika in the blend just covering.

Grill ‘em up.
I really enjoy a great Beef Wellington.
Originally Posted by BeanMan

Wow! Talk about the top of the food pyramid. Tough to find these days, a '60s icon and good beyond description.
"CMP" steak & grill seasoning before cooking, and a dash of "Pappy's" hot spice on the plate.
Originally Posted by SamOlson

1 cup ketchup

1 cup olive oil

1 cup maple syrup

1/2 cup Miracle Whip

8 tablespoons of salt

12 garlic cloves

3 lemons

5 teaspoons of Seafoam

lol

1 cup ketchup

1 cup olive oil

1 cup maple syrup

1/2 cup Miracle Whip

8 tablespoons of salt

12 garlic cloves

3 lemons

5 teaspoons of Seafoam

In high school, I briefly dated a girl who wore this marinade.

I’d have sworn she shaved with a Lawnboy.

1 cup ketchup

1 cup olive oil

1 cup maple syrup

1/2 cup Miracle Whip

8 tablespoons of salt

12 garlic cloves

3 lemons

5 teaspoons of Seafoam

That's Kansas City Strip, west of Chicago anyway.
Originally Posted by kingston

1 cup ketchup

1 cup olive oil

1 cup maple syrup

1/2 cup Miracle Whip

8 tablespoons of salt

12 garlic cloves

3 lemons

5 teaspoons of Seafoam

In high school, I briefly dated a girl who wore this marinade.

I’d have sworn she shaved with a Lawnboy.

Hot chicks that smell like a two stroke kinda get me excited.

Shaved with!!!! Lol. I read smelled like.

[Linked Image]

What grade of beef are you starting with? Brine is typically used with tough or lean meat that dries out when cooked.

[Linked Image]

What grade of beef are you starting with? Brine is typically used with tough or lean meat that dries out when cooked.

It improves all of them. Then it carries in the flavor of the paprika and black pepper. But you can't put it on the grill wet if you want it to brown.

It's funny how a few of the dumb-asses ( like DeFlave) criticize brining yet not suggestions of rubs that are loaded with salt.
Miracle whip Sam?

For shame!
You'd need to have me over to try a brined Porterhouse before I'd dunk that gorgeous slab of meat in the brine. It might be the greatest ever, but I'm not bold enough to go there on faith. wink
Yeah, I’m not sold on wet brining a steak either. Who knows though.

I once witnessed a woman wash ground beef under the faucet. crazy
I might try it first on a select grade strip steak from the big grocery. Getting me to try it on the prime grade filet mignon I got from the high end butcher earlier this week would likely involve gunplay. grin
Doesn't brining beef essentially turn it into corned beef, or pastrami?

I generally try to never knock anything before trying it, but I have never heard of brining steaks before. Marinading and injecting certain cuts of beef, yes. Brining chicken and pork, yes..... Once in a blue moon I will do a gorgonzala cheese cream sauce, or a "board sauce" if I want something different. Most times for me, a simple seasoning, hot fire and properly cooked medium rare will do just fine.

I believe that commercial is for the Americanized version brewed by Miller. Who here has had the real Löwenbräu?
If meat needs more than sea salt, fresh cracked pepper, and a small amount of garlic powder on top, it isn't worth grilling IMO...
Originally Posted by GregW
If meat needs more than sea salt, fresh cracked pepper, and a small amount of garlic powder on top, it isn't worth grilling IMO...

Which is essentially what I'm doing. Just not only laying on top.

I did that 2 weeks ago with some rib steaks 1-1/4 thick. I brined them for 4 hours then laid them on paper towels to dry for about 45 minutes. Then I coated them with melted butter. Then I filled the fire box side of my smoker grill with chunk charcoal and when that was really hot I seared each steak on both sides until brown. On to the smoker side with a pan of water in the bottom. I put chunks of mesquite on the fire and closed it up. I ran it at about 300 degrees until mine and the boys was 135 degrees. My wife's I have to run to 160 because she thinks if it's red it ain't dead enough.
I've been brining some of my venison (mostly mule deer) and it does help with flavor on a strong tasting critter. It also comes out more tender and not as dry when grilling. I've never considered it on beef and not sure I would unless I was dealing with a tougher cut.

Wow! Talk about the top of the food pyramid. Tough to find these days, a '60s icon and good beyond description.

I have 1 every Cruise I go on !

[Linked Image]
For a very good quality ribeye, nothing but salt, pepper and garlic

For a slightly lesser cut, Montreal or Chicago and melted butter

For a marginal cut, equal parts Dale's and Lea and Perrins sprinked with black pepper and minced garlic then just a light drizzle of sourwood honey right before it comes off the grill.
I did watch my step son pour A-1 on his steak before he even tasted it. Sad, sad thing to see. A-1 is for like hamburgers.
Interesting, worth the time to watch !

Screaming hot grill, couple minutes each side, pull at 120, pat of salted butter and rest for 15min tented.

[Linked Image]

Burned looking and over cooked as well. I eat steak some raw.
Hey Jimbo;

Dis one's fer your edufumication !

Originally Posted by Savage_99

[Linked Image]

Dick is raw and I won’t put that in my mouth.

But you continue to enjoy.

[Linked Image]

Don, Don, Don;

Why do you continue to be a dumbass ?

Perfectly seared !

How can 120* internal be over cooked ?

Phouc !

Ha, ha !

At least he didn't post the 28 year old "steak house" photo, that he eats at every week !

wink
He's confusing how a middle of the roast slab of prime rib looks with how a grilled steak should look.
Prime or Choice cuts here with some Montreal Seasoning. Placed on a very hot grill with a pat of butter on each side. Try to get perfect sear marks and let the steak ‘rest’ for a couple of minutes before serving. I like my steaks still mooing....
Ha, ha !

At least he didn't post the 28 year old "steak house" photo, that he eats at every week !

wink

Ha!
Meh, it’s all good.
Hopefully people can take it when they dish it out. If not, meh.
I dry age the beef for 21 days...........

and then brine it to put all that water back in.
I grill one side and only turn it once. The second side typically takes 1/2 the time of the first. Grill temp is varied according to the cut and thickness.
Originally Posted by Savuti
I dry age the beef for 21 days...........

and then brine it to put all that water back in.

Dry aged beef that long would give me the schits....Pass me the 3 day old Ribeye with lots of marbling 🥩 😎

I once witnessed a woman wash ground beef under the faucet. crazy

Side note: We have a relative or two who really needs to stay away from beef fat. We will sometimes lightly brown lean ground beef, then pour it all into a colander. Rinse under HOT water, until juices/fat it run clear. Back into the pan, back season with all kinds of good peppers, olive oil, seasonings....

I bet it's 98/2 beef by the time we are done. But, tastes great.
I'm sort of surprised no one mentioned doing a reverse sear. Bake first at 250*F for 20-25min to get an internal of 120-125*F then sear on a cast iron skillet or on a grill for the marks till the internal temp is 130*F. Coarse sea salt about an hour prior to cooking and season after with fresh ground pepper and a compound butter. It's a great way to do a steak when you don't want to go outside.
I like a pan fried steak.

[Linked Image]

Don, Don, Don;

Why do you continue to be a dumbass ?

Perfectly seared !

How can 120* internal be over cooked ?

Phouc !

That meat has a burned surface. I don't like that burned taste. Perhaps others do, fine.
Originally Posted by tdbob
I'm sort of surprised no one mentioned doing a reverse sear. Bake first at 250*F for 20-25min to get an internal of 120-125*F then sear on a cast iron skillet or on a grill for the marks till the internal temp is 130*F.

My favorite way. In the smoker with apple wood until it comes up to a little short of rare, Montreal and garlic first. Then 'sear' on the grill to order. Have been known to rub with Lea & Perrins before seasoning when the mood hits.
21 days in the Cryovac package is your Huckleberry for 21 day aging.
I wish I had a bad azz broiler or salamander at the house. The oven broiler just doesn't quite get hot enough.

Sorry Savage 99, it looks burnt! Lol!
I use one of these when just doing a couple steaks.

[Linked Image]
Lump mesquite. It’ll get hotter than needed if not careful.
Originally Posted by SandBilly

[Linked Image]

Wow, that thing looks cool.
Ketchup

[Linked Image]

I think I need one.
Nice for camping too.
Room temp beef steaks get a mix of Garlic salt, Black pepper and a few sprinkles of Lawry's Lemon Pepper on BOTH sides. Cooked to 130*, placed on plate and covered with foil for 5-10 mins to rest. Comes out a perfect med-rare every time!

Elk/deer steaks get exact same seasoning but only get cooked to 120* then rested.

I am going to try the pat of butter while resting trick next time. That looks good!!!

Elk Country

[Linked Image]

I think I need one.

Me too. My little Smokey Joe has been great though.
Don't run good meat.Salt/pepper, spritz with olive oil and grill
Very simple....a good rib-eye, plus a liberal dose of Tony Chachere’s, grilled to med-rare! memtb
Good call! Tony's is good stuff.
Good call! Tony's is good stuff.

We buy a gallon, almost every time we go back to my hometown! memtb
Nice for camping too.

[Linked Image]

I think I need one.

Kellory takes one on backpack hunts.
How about seasoning on an ok looking chuck steak? I put some whoseursister on it and cracked pepper....its fermenting on the counter now. wink
Originally Posted by memtb
Very simple....a good rib-eye, plus a liberal dose of Tony Chachere’s, grilled to med-rare! memtb

No.

laugh Eyes no brewski snob either.

No.

I do love Tony's but not on a quality steak.
Originally Posted by deflave

No.

I do love Tony's but not on a quality steak.

I grew up in Louisiana, we season everything.....and a lot of us use Tony’s. For me, it pretty much goes on everything......except ice cream!
wink memtb
SPOG (Salt Pepper Onion Garlic) is all you ever need for any beef.
If you want to further spice it up from there you can add a little Montreal or lemon pepper.

Qsalt is very good on it's own and is similar to a SPOG

https://www.naturiffic.com/gourmet/qsalt
Originally Posted by bubbajay
How about seasoning on an ok looking chuck steak? I put some whoseursister on it and cracked pepper....its fermenting on the counter now. wink

Wife picked up a couple chuck steaks recently on sale for cheap. Assuming they'd be a bit tough, I wasn't sure how I wanted to do them so did the first one on the grill like any other cut. Flavor was good, but it was tough as expected. Second one I treated like a mini-brisket - low and slow on the smoker for a couple hours to 195 degrees. Really enjoyed it that way...
But for a few years out of state for grad school I've lived my whole life in Louisiana. I use Tony's and the like quite often, but not on a top of the line steak.

yep. I use Tony Chachere's and a little garlic powder, and sear it until it's just gravely injured..
Everglades Seasoning........................"Cactus Dust"

https://www.amazon.com/Everglades-S...spons&keywords=Cactus+Dust&psc=1

"Byron's Baby Butt Rub"

https://www.amazon.com/Bad-Byrons-Barbeque-Seasoning-26/dp/B00258I5PM

Thank me later

The Byron's is amazing on pork as well!
Fairly simple with mine, applewood smoked sea salt, cracked pepper, maybe some "Gunpowder" seasoning. Use the cast iron, heat till olive oil is smoking, 3 minutes per side adding rosemary and butter. Let stand about five minutes. Done.
Yes it is burnt! frown
If you like Outback, here's one that's close (in teaspoons to KISS):

16 teaspoons salt
8 teaspoons paprika
4 teaspoons ground black pepper
2 teaspoon onion powder
2 teaspoon garlic powder
2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (this is set on weenie, you can add more to your liking, 4 tsp is probably what OB uses)
1 teaspoon coriander
1 teaspoon turmeric
© 24hourcampfire