Home
Suggestions? Male 8 week only golden retriever puppy that the neighbor brought home today. AKC papers are arriving Friday and it needs a new name.
Humbug.
Sweet Pea
Yeller!
Sunny
Lucky....
Gold Digger
Archie
Hero
Sue
8wk old puppy?

"Dammnit!!"
Flave
Deogie. Pronounced D-O-G.
You get to name the "neighbor's dog" ??

In that case.... Shlthead
Chewy
Sir Poops A Lot

Bodie. Just an old ghost town out west I used to hunt around.
Colt
Dammit. Heel Dammit....fetch Dammit.
Buddy
What about Sutter? That is where gold was once retrieved from (Sutter's Mill) and it seems like a dog would answer to it? Bit of a western ring to it to boot.
max or mac
Murphy
Jake
My late father’s favorite hunting spot was off of a road named Perry Road.

That is how I named my new male German wire hair pointer puppy, Perry, a year ago.

We got another German wire hair puppy, but female, about 5 months ago. She was named Ruby by my wife. We got the dog mainly as a bird hunter for me but also as a pet for my middle son. His birth stone is a ruby, sans her reasoning to name her Ruby.

IMO, make it a connection to something meaningful to you or your family.
Colt.
Buster

Cause he will be bouncing off the walls and breaking everything in sight for the next two years.

We have had a couple Goldens. Best damned dogs in the world. I can not believe we now have these two biscuit eaters in the house instead of another Golden.
Stains.........

Neighbor's dog ?....Doosh
Great suggestions so far. Yeah, Tim is thinking Rusty, but that is too common for a golden and he has a few days to come up with something better.
Repo
we got the princess about the time ben ladin got bit in the butt on that raid in pakistan. Right or wrong, i think the dog's name was ciar, which is gaelic, meaning black. That being aside as my girl princess is a very light golden, we call her ciera, mostly kie kie for short. she will respond to either.
one of the males is names max, and another we had was casey boy.
"S.C." Stands for swamp collie.

RS
Raleigh, if he likes to roll in poop he can be Rollie

..."Ra".

...Egyptian Sun God

(Rah)
Dusty (shortened from Gold Dust). Name of the Golden we had for 14 years.

Jim

..."Nip"

(Nipper)

"Happy"??

Buster.
Parker
Buster
Hawk
Rebel
Jack
Butch
Chester

Nothing that ends in y or ie
Hunter
Tucker
Whatever you name him, make sure you scream it a couple times like you would if you were calling him from the neighborhood. If it doesn't make you sound gay or insane, it's a good name.
Originally Posted by reivertom
Whatever you name him, make sure you scream it a couple times like you would if you were calling him from the neighborhood. If it doesn't make you sound gay or insane, it's a good name.

Hahaha

There were kids (picture opie and leon from andy griffith show) that lived a few house down from a remodeling job I was doing. Their bassett hound would come hang out with me my work crew lol

Those kids were hollerin for him. Took us a couple days to figure out the dog's name. Because those children, their voices sounded like a swarm of locusts or cicadas.

He name was Ralph

Kids were belting out "reeeeeeeeeeallllllllllp reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeallllllp"
Originally Posted by hanco
Buster
Hawk
Rebel
Jack
Butch
Chester

Nothing that ends in y or ie

I agree. Chester would be awesome!
Wingo
Winchester
Drake
Yeah, you need to be pc with your dog name these days. A guy I shoot with named his black lab "Spook". Not real good calling it in the wrong neighborhood. He never liked that dog much because it wouldn't retrieve. He should have realized that when he lifted his leg and peed on his retriever dummy.
Sam
Max
Curly
Moe
Ahab
Snort
Tavon
Peaches
Dangles
Dick
Gerard
Malcom
Skittles
Dingo
Sebastian
Vonnegut
Uwe (Oō va)
indy

deacon
Max
come here chit head
If you’re set on something literal...
[Linked Image]
Cheddar
Sammy
Henry
Crispin
Argento
Othello
Link
Captain (Capem)
Gus
Bruce
Frank
Ned
Arlo
Mike
Stuart
Fred

J/k those are cat names.

How about....actually Freddy is kinda cute for a Golden.

Cooter is kinda unique, maybe?
Down Dammit!!
We very sadly had to put our 5 yo male golden down couple years back. The best dog and friend we had. His name was Sawyer. A great name for a golden imo.
Whats this on my foot?
Cooper
Bunion
Duck
I'm looking for a Golden Retriever Pup.... already got a name picked out...

Goldy.... sort of a dumb family tradition from my grand father....

as kids, he had a black beagle cross.....named it Blacky...

when Blacky died at 15 yrs old, he got another dog that size that was all Brown...

named him Brownie...

kinda dumb, but it keeps it simple...

especially when you consider old Man Wickline across the road, had a mutt that was a real chow hound and was fatter than
crap... Mr Wickline called that dog "Gut".....

Gotta Be a West Virginia thing....
Hay! Easy to remember.
How about "A U", the symbol for gold, and you can make it sound like Hey You! when you are training him.
Slobber

In previous years I’d take my dogs to a city park at night to walk em, a big park with a three mile hiking trail but the inevitable homosexuals would hang around the parking lot at night. Used to be I’d whistle to call my dogs but one night I whistled them and some pervert waiting across the parking lot whistled back sick

After that I started calling my dogs with a hissing “shhhhh” sound, they caught on quick (blue heelers) and they can hear it from surprisingly far away. A big plus was after that I never had to actually speak when walking them in the woods.
Buddy, Buck, Sammy
Matt
I got a golden pup, named him Puddle Dog but called him by his initials, P.D. Friends thought it was Petey, in time it got shortened to Pete. Good enough name, as it didn't sound similar to any commands. If I get another one he will be Re-pete
Ours was Rocky. Best dog we ever owned.
Originally Posted by Windfall
Suggestions? Male 8 week only golden retriever puppy that the neighbor brought home today. AKC papers are arriving Friday and it needs a new name.

Whatever name a child or a grandchild comes up with.
I got a rhodiesan ridgeback/Staffordshire mix named Cookie cause he is brindle.
Got a lab/border collie mix named Blackjack.
Had a huskie/malmute female named Sweetheart she died last november.
Son of Blackjack and Sweetheart called Rico cause my youngest daughter was watching starship troopers that day.

All named by my daughters.
Kevin
Hunted with a buddies golden named Drake. Died way to young, great pheasant dog.
Ralph. It's one of the few dog names that you can teach the dog to say.
Smiley, Bandit or Bandito, Rascal, Haas - big as a Hoss, William the dog AKA/ Bill, Winston, Harry S Truman - I know him well, Biscuit or Pork Chop. Lots of commonly named things become uncommon dog names. Harry S.Truman is a Puppies for Parole dog I "busted" out of prison two years ago. The name was Harrison but Mr. Truman fit better. Harry S. Truman had a personal friend whose Victorian home is still about three blocks down the street from me. Harry stayed there a few times over the years and was offered a job by the owner when he left the Presidency. I knew the home owner in later years as I was a young pup.
Baxter
Ruger
Cody
i was a big fan of the Adams Family, i had 2 male boxers named Gomez and Pugsley.
Fetchit.......
Dorado, Spanish for Golden....
Trump

One syllable names are easiest.
Donald!
Stains.

Then your wife can yell out the back door "Come Stains!"
We named our 10 year old Golden, Josie when we got her as a small Pup.

Have had others over the years;

Hallie

Amber

Echo

Maggie

Tessie

Sadie

Virgil B.
Hank
Goose, Drake or Mallard
Whitebread for the win.
Tim came over this morning on his four wheeler and between Sweetness and her Facebook friends and the way all you folks stepped up, I gave him a list of 141 possible dog names!!! He might take a few days to digest them all, but the odds on favorite so far seems to be.... "Sutter". Naming credit might just go to with Kenjs1's Sutter suggestion from back on page one. Talk about input, WOW.
First Golden I had I named Drake. Our current is named Shiloh for the old Neil Diamond song.
name the dog PUD

Trooper
Ackley
Camp , Conrad , Miky ,Ranger , Tracy , Babe ,Ozy , Milo , Myna , Shoog
I have always used mono-syllabic call names. Makes commands giving more clear. Moose is a favorite.
A dog is a man's best friend and side kick. Why not use the name of the side kick from your favorite TV show or movie? I propose the following:
Festus
Tanto
Radar
Chief

Mostly I suggest these names because my wife bonged all of them for the last 2 puppies!!!
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Flave

Only if it's a hairless variety.
Originally Posted by 16bore
Stains.

Then your wife can yell out the back door "Come Stains!"

In that case, maybe name him "Shot"
smile
Rosco, Fred, Homer,
Sport

Fred

We had one once named that. All of us kids at the time, called this puppy Fred as a joke and the dog learned it as it's name and it stuck. My mother was pissed.
Originally Posted by slumlord

Hahaha

There were kids (picture opie and leon from andy griffith show) that lived a few house down from a remodeling job I was doing. Their bassett hound would come hang out with me my work crew lol

Those kids were hollerin for him. Took us a couple days to figure out the dog's name. Because those children, their voices sounded like a swarm of locusts or cicadas.

He name was Ralph

Kids were belting out "reeeeeeeeeeallllllllllp reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeallllllp"

A grown man doesn't need to be heard screaming "Sugarpuss" or "Tinkerbell" .....people might talk....
I prefer a name I can bark, especially for dom males. My go to is Buck but it ain't what I would call cute.
"Peeve"

As in My Pet Peeve
"USELESS", as the dog breeders have mostly bred the game-dog out of most of the lines.
(The sole things that our last one did well was eat, sleep, eliminate & constantly gaze LOVINGLY into my lady's eyes. = WORSHIP is how I would describe that intense gaze.)

yours, tex
Booger Boy
Get a black lab and name him "skillet".
Tucker....Neighbors will love it. 😎
Always liked Murphy or Shamus for male retrievers...

But named my current boys Buddy, Boots, and Buster...

Phil
Golden lab? pppffff it's obviously gotta be "Whiskey"
This whole thread is worthless without pictures.
I had an uncle that always named his dogs "DOG".

All of them...
Golden Hair . . . call him Trumpy or Donald .
Waylon
Rocket
Creed
Trojan
My grandfather took me goose and duck hunting on the Lissie Prairie (located on the Texas Gulf Coast) when I was a kid, every chance we had. We hunted with a great golden retriever named Roger. Roger was a natural and needed virtually no training. He was an adult when he was given to my grandfather and had never hunted. Nonetheless, his instincts bred into him made him a fabulous retriever.

He would lie beside us as the birds came in and stay down until we shot and told him fetch. Then he was off like a rocket and relentless in search for every bird. Roger loved to hunt. Some retrievers have trouble with wounded geese. A goose with a broken wing will beat the dickens out of a dog carrying him. It never seemed to bother Roger. I still have vivid memories of Roger bringing us big greater Canadian geese with broken wings whacking him in the face..

Sometimes, after our morning hunt, we would drive to areas where the birds would congregate in large flocks for their afternoon feeding. Hunters were not allowed to hunt in the afternoon on the properties we hunted. We would pull over and send Roger into the flocks to search out and retrieve cripples. It was a rare day when he didn't find at least one cripple and bring it to us - often it was two or three. Heck, we didn't need shotguns to hunt geese. All we needed was Roger. :-)

In the former Dallas Morning News writer's book 'Richard Morehead's Texas", Mr. Morehead recounts hunting with Roger and my grandfather. In one passage Mr. Morehead notes "...Roger never missed a duck or goose, and when a hunter did, one could read disgust on Roger's face even in dim light." Roger had occasion to give me that look more than once over the years I knew him.

Roger lived to be 15 years old and started retrieving birds in heaven on June 5, 1977. My grandfather re-united with Roger five years later at the age of 92. I miss them both each day.

T.S.
Spike, Fang, Cujo... it is a Golden Retriever after all grin

Splinter, he will get under your skin
Tonka
Doc doesn't sound like any command words like sit heel over back dead bird
Originally Posted by Windfall

I had a golden named Elvis! My next dog will be named Alias!!
Rusty
Sancho, after me ;-)
Arffie
The deed is done and "Sutter" won the name the dog prize. Tim was most appreciative for all the naming options that I gave him from our list.
"Shed" because thats what he is gonna do.
Sutter, I like it...

Phil
Fetch!

DUKE
© 24hourcampfire