Home
Posted By: Mountain10mm Dumbest hunting laws - 08/28/18
Let's hear them.

Colorado has a big game handgun law that says barrel length needs to be at least 4" with a min. energy level at 50 yards of 550 ft.lbs - as rate by the manufacture (which could be you). So who actually measures velocity at 50 yards, which can be used to determine energy? Maybe I've missed it as I reload most of my own, but I've never seen a pistol cartridge box from a manufacturer that says velocity or energy at 50 yards - if they say anything it's muzzle velocity. I guess I could put a chrono up at 50 yards, but seems so stupid when they could say 575 ft.lbs. at the muzzle or something like that. And what's with the min. barrel length? Either the gun has the energy required or it doesn't. Who cares if the bullet came out of a 3.5" barrel? It's not a concealed gun thing either as CO state law specifically allows concealed carry during hunting season even without a permit.
Posted By: Old_Toot Re: Dumbest hunting laws - 08/28/18
Originally Posted by Mountain10mm
Let's hear them.

Colorado has a big game handgun law that says barrel length needs to be at least 4" with a min. energy level at 50 yards of 550 ft.lbs - as rate by the manufacture (which could be you). So who actually measures velocity at 50 yards, which can be used to determine energy? Maybe I've missed it as I reload most of my own, but I've never seen a pistol cartridge box from a manufacturer that says velocity or energy at 50 yards - if they say anything it's muzzle velocity. I guess I could put a chrono up at 50 yards, but seems so stupid when they could say 575 ft.lbs. at the muzzle or something like that. And what's with the min. barrel length? Either the gun has the energy required or it doesn't. Who cares if the bullet came out of a 3.5" barrel? It's not a concealed gun thing either as CO state law specifically allows concealed carry during hunting season even without a permit.

Can carry said pistol during bow season?
Posted By: Mountain10mm Re: Dumbest hunting laws - 08/28/18
You can carry any pistol during bow season without a concealed carry permit. Just can't use it for taking big game.
Posted By: efw Re: Dumbest hunting laws - 08/28/18
No hunting on Sundays in Pa.

I’m an old school Presbyterian and I think that’s stupid.
Posted By: Old_Toot Re: Dumbest hunting laws - 08/28/18
Thanks

I won’t say that wyoming’s Are dumb but you better have a full understanding of all of it, particularly the gmu #’s and the requirements for each that you intend to hunt for the intended species. It can get complex compared to, say, Colorado’s.
Posted By: Ringman Re: Dumbest hunting laws - 08/28/18
Oregon used to have to get a handgun stamp to hunt deer. If you used a rifle instead of you handgun you were poaching.
If you shoot a deer in the head with a handgun as a finisher, you are a poacher.
Posted By: Kenneth66 Re: Dumbest hunting laws - 08/28/18
Originally Posted by efw

Used to be like that in Va. But they finally got their heads out and did away with it . The season that was started a few years ago , not sure of the duration , but June is part of a summertime squerril season .
Who the hell wants to shoot a mess of squerril in the summer .
Nearest I can figure they have put them in the gopher class .
seems like a waste of good vittles to me .
Kenneth
Posted By: Holston Re: Dumbest hunting laws - 08/28/18
Originally Posted by efw

VA lets us Sunday hunt on private land now, with written permission. Screws us that hunt public land and have no private land to hunt.

Also, I have never got a yes or no question on whether I will get a ticket for quartering a deer and carrying it out in my pack. Half says no, half says yes. Main guy in Richmond says it depends and my answer is in the game law book.

Don’t understand why you can only crow hunt certain days of the week either.
Posted By: Kenneth66 Re: Dumbest hunting laws - 08/28/18
Yep it slipped my mind about public land .
Kenneth
Posted By: tscott Re: Dumbest hunting laws - 08/28/18
No hunting in NC, between 9:30am and noon on Sunday..... Dumb ass consolation, to alliow Sunday hunting.....
Posted By: stevelyn Re: Dumbest hunting laws - 08/29/18
No Sunday hunting is about the dumbest PoS law I've ever heard of. Just remember that hunting and gun laws are made by people who have no clue as to what they're talking about.
Posted By: Old_Toot Re: Dumbest hunting laws - 08/29/18
Originally Posted by stevelyn
No Sunday hunting is about the dumbest PoS law I've ever heard of. Just remember that hunting and gun laws are made by people who have no clue as to what they're talking about.

Actually they do know what they’re talking about and doing but state legislators make these override laws in spite of what the game folks say and recommend. Maybe that’s what you were talking about?
Posted By: blanket Re: Dumbest hunting laws - 08/29/18
closed seasons on wolves anywhere
Posted By: Whelenman Re: Dumbest hunting laws - 08/29/18
I don't understand Wyoming law that you buy a hunting license, then you have to buy a game stamp. Why not include the stamp with license, so nobody forgets in??? Or is that the intention?
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Dumbest hunting laws - 08/29/18
Originally Posted by efw

If it ever came to a vote, I am against change.

I would support reestablishing the "Blue" laws.
Posted By: Bwana_1 Re: Dumbest hunting laws - 08/29/18
Originally Posted by efw

Yep, I hunt 3 other states instead,,and I have property...fugg em
Posted By: Hawk_Driver Re: Dumbest hunting laws - 08/29/18
Possession limits on birds.
Posted By: ltppowell Re: Dumbest hunting laws - 08/29/18
Plugs in shotguns. There are bag limits.
Originally Posted by ltppowell

Very good point, never thought of it that way.
Posted By: kingston Re: Dumbest hunting laws - 08/29/18

LOL, even with magazine plugs, I’ve seen human nature run wild in a duck blind.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Dumbest hunting laws - 08/29/18
Antlers not allowed as proof of sex.
Originally Posted by Steelhead

Kinda goes along with the stupid bathroom laws!
Originally Posted by kingston

LOL, even with magazine plugs, I’ve seen human nature run wild in a duck blind.

And I’ve seen 2 fuggers go to federal court in New Orleans. One was a localish politician. Got smart with the judge and lost his hunting privileges for 5 years.
Posted By: McInnis Re: Dumbest hunting laws - 08/29/18
I don't understand Wyoming law that you buy a hunting license, then you have to buy a game stamp. Why not include the stamp with license, so nobody forgets in??? Or is that the intention?

That's not true. Buy a license for big game and with it comes the tag, that you much attach to the carcass. There's no separate stamp.
Originally Posted by efw

I like having the day off, letting the woods go quiet.
I knew a guy that fired 3 shots at every duck and he was using a double barrel.
Posted By: Dale K Re: Dumbest hunting laws - 08/29/18
Actually, you can hunt in Pa. on Sunday. Coyotes, foxes, and crows are the only legal game but you CAN hunt Sunday.

Limited days for crows came about (I think) because of a federal migratory bird treaty that only allows so many days of hunting and not during certain times of the year. In Pa. at least, they went to 3 days per week to get as many weeks as possible from the number of days available. That's what I remember reading somewhere, probably the Pa. Game Commission website.

Dale
Originally Posted by McInnis

That's not true. Buy a license for big game and with it comes the tag, that you much attach to the carcass. There's no separate stamp.

You would be wrong, very wrong. Think,,,,Game Stamp, Wildlife Stamp. A separate Stamp altogether. About 14$ or so. Might keep you out of trouble.
Posted By: Bwana_1 Re: Dumbest hunting laws - 08/29/18
Originally Posted by efw

The woods are always quiet in bow season smile
Posted By: JMR40 Re: Dumbest hunting laws - 08/29/18
GA used to have a similar handgun hunting requirement. But it said 5.9" and 500 ft lbs at 100 yards. Some 357 loads were advertised at 505 ft lbs at 100 yards and had it printed on the box. The law was changed because of complaints from game wardens that it was unenforceable. To my knowledge no one was ever charged, and now any center fire handgun, any barrel length is legal. You can now technically bear hunt with a 25 ACP.

Not a hunting law, but GA carry law was simplified, and made much better 10 years ago after the abduction and murder of a young girl hiking on the Appalachian Trail in N. GA.

https://search.yahoo.com/search?ei=...=meredith+emerson&type=123191_111517

At the time you could not legally carry a handgun, even with a permit in a state park. And you couldn't carry a handgun on a Wildlife Management area unless you were hunting with all the proper tags and permits. Even then the gun had to match the game legal at the time. The section of trail where Ms. Emerson was abducted ran through a wildlife management area, and cut through a corner of a state park it effectively prevented her from being armed. On the WMA the only legal handgun would have been a 22 since only small game was in season, she would have also needed a hunting license and permit to hunt on a WMA. And most of the year (outside of hunting season) even that would have been illegal. Only during big game season would a handgun that was also legal to hunt with been legal on the WMA. And even that would have been illegal in the state park.

I have no idea whether or not Ms. Emerson would have carried even if legal,but the absurdity of the law was brought to the attention of legislators who quickly changed the law.
Originally Posted by Bwana_1
Originally Posted by efw

The woods are always quiet in bow season smile

Except for squirrel hunters. I watch for them about as much as for deer when up a tree.
With waterfowl, limits per species and sex complicate things, especially for less experienced hunters. In the rare instance you’ve got a novice waterfowler who’s a crack shot, things can get complicated quick.
Posted By: rem141r Re: Dumbest hunting laws - 08/29/18
the antler restrictions they have in PA. some places are 3 to a side, others its 3 to a side and the brow tine doesn't count. boundaries are usually some road. wildlife management units they call them. over management in my opinion. oughtta be 3 to a side counting brow tine state wide.
Posted By: jimy Re: Dumbest hunting laws - 08/29/18
In Pa you can't hunt on Sundays but that leaves you both NY and OHio both have great seasons, quit bitchin.
Posted By: sambo3006 Re: Dumbest hunting laws - 08/29/18
Originally Posted by Old_Toot

You would be wrong, very wrong. Think,,,,Game Stamp, Wildlife Stamp. A separate Stamp altogether. About 14$ or so. Might keep you out of trouble.

It's called a Conservation stamp and it's $12.50.
https://wgfd.wyo.gov/Hunting/What-do-I-need-to-Hunt
Posted By: McInnis Re: Dumbest hunting laws - 08/29/18
Yeah, that's right. To get a fishing or hunting license you have to buy a conservation stamp. They just ask you if you need it when you get your license, it's not a big deal.
Posted By: renegade50 Re: Dumbest hunting laws - 08/29/18
Originally Posted by efw

Same in Maine

If they sold Sunday hunting permits for deer season just for township blocks
Basically 4 x4 mile square block areas of woodland .
For say 15 bucks each of those Sundays during rifle season.

The state would make money .... 60 extra dollars possibly from a individual hunter.
I woulda done it.

Nothing use ta piss me off more than leaving camp Saturday night to come back Sunday night.
Knowing fresh snow was coming in or certain other weather was gonna go down on SUNDAY....
Like an overnight rain stopping before sun-up.
Or even wind shutting down after days of it
Or wind starting up after days of none.
ECT ect ect.

And the good ole religious fuddy duddy blue law
That got passed decades ago for some preacher who got a politicians ear is beyond dumb...

No church going folks would be traumatized in town miles away I'm sure.
Let's hear them.

Here's your sign:

http://www.jbmballistics.com/ballistics/calculators/calculators.shtml
Yeah, that's right. To get a fishing or hunting license you have to buy a conservation stamp. They just ask you if you need it when you get your license, it's not a big deal.

It is a big deal if caught without it. But ymmv
Posted By: T_Inman Re: Dumbest hunting laws - 08/29/18
Wyoming's .224" law for deer and antelope, and a few other critters. The bullet has to be at least .224", and the cartridge at least 2 inches long (excluding the hornet) and at least a 60 grain bullet.

I suspect the 60 grain minimum thing is to avoid the use of the wally world special 55 grain FMJs, but an older law requires the use of expanding bullets anyhow. Plus, how the hell can a game warden weigh the bullet? Would he make the hunter pull a bullet from the case? It would be easy for a warden to tell a FMJ from a common expanding bullet of most any flavor but instead they added a weight criteria. This means a 53 TSX is not legal but a 60 grain bullet of any construction is legal, as long as it was designed to expand.

What about the 2 inch overall length requirement? For a reloader, it wouldn't be hard to get a legal cartridge that is pathetically effective on game, and I am sure some people would try. 5 grains of unique out of my .22 Savage hi-power and a 70 grain TSX would be perfectly legal but a hot rodded .22-250 with a 55 TSX is not.

Just seems like the state legislatures really showed their ignorance with this law.

Actually,

There is a separate conservation stamp in Wyoming that you must purchase separately. It's an actual stamp, similar to a duck stamp.
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Wyoming's .224" law for deer and antelope, and a few other critters. The bullet has to be at least .224", and the cartridge at least 2 inches long (excluding the hornet) and at least a 60 grain bullet.

I suspect the 60 grain minimum thing is to avoid the use of the wally world special 55 grain FMJs, but an older law requires the use of expanding bullets anyhow. Plus, how the hell can a game warden weigh the bullet? Would he make the hunter pull a bullet from the case? It would be easy for a warden to tell a FMJ from a common expanding bullet of most any flavor but instead they added a weight criteria. This means a 53 TSX is not legal but a 60 grain bullet of any construction is legal, as long as it was designed to expand.

What about the 2 inch overall length requirement? For a reloader, it wouldn't be hard to get a legal cartridge that is pathetically effective on game, and I am sure some people would try. 5 grains of unique out of my .22 Savage hi-power and a 70 grain TSX would be perfectly legal but a hot rodded .22-250 with a 55 TSX is not.

Just seems like the state legislatures really showed their ignorance with this law.

The whole intention of that as you know is to stop herd shooting, spray and pray with AR’s. You’re right about the caliber/weight part. Needs a bit more refinement but I wouldn’t look for it anytime soon.
Posted By: kellory Re: Dumbest hunting laws - 08/29/18
Antlers for proof of sex, would not be completely accurate. Does can grow antlers. Three shot max was due to wounding game. It was thought that by the time you could fire 3 times, the big game was out of effective range. Plugs are no longer required here, since Ohio went to rifle. 3 shot in the weapon is still the rule, but no plug to prove it. Here, I buy a hunting permit, and deer tags, no stamp that I am aware of. Stamps are for water fowl.
Now one dumb law I am attempting to get changed, is the "no second weapon rule". There is no point to it, and even ODNR can not come up with a reason for the rule. The only exception is a CCW, which can not be used for any hunting purpose. So if bow hunting, and a bear or wolf or cat is stirred up, unless you possess a CCW you must handle the situation with a bow alone. No backup weapon.

Also the rule that no weapon or ammo can even be present when hunting deer, that is not legal for taking a deer. A spent. 22lr shell can cause me trouble here. It's to prevent the wounding of a deer, or a slow death. But since I am innocent until proven guilty, perhaps they could only consider it a crime if I were to actually USE a weapon in an illegal fashion, not just have it present.
Posted By: Klikitarik Re: Dumbest hunting laws - 08/29/18
In Alaska, moose: "Antlered bulls" only in January, (and even February by Federal emergency order). but "any bull" in September.
Originally Posted by T_Inman

The whole intention of that as you know is to stop herd shooting, spray and pray with AR’s. You’re right about the caliber/weight part. Needs a bit more refinement but I wouldn’t look for it anytime soon.

I am not too sure what you're getting at.

A .223 AR15 with a 100 round drum magazine is completely legal as long as you're firing expanding bullets of at least 60 grains. From what I gathered, they changed the law to allow .224 inch bullets specifically to allow ARs in the hunting fields.
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
In Alaska, moose: "Antlered bulls" only in January, (and even February by Federal emergency order). but "any bull" in September.

Would that be to try to prevent cows from being killed by people thinking/saying that the moose in front of them was a bull that had dropped their antlers? Seems odd, but I could see it happening with some hunters out there and the excuses they'll come up with.
Posted By: jimy Re: Dumbest hunting laws - 08/29/18
Originally Posted by renegade50
Originally Posted by efw

Same in Maine

The state would make money .... 60 extra dollars possibly from a individual hunter.
I woulda done it.

Nothing use ta piss me off more than leaving camp Saturday night to come back Sunday night.
Knowing fresh snow was coming in or certain other weather was gonna go down on SUNDAY....
ECT ect ect.

That got passed decades ago for some preacher who got a politicians ear is beyond dumb...

If I felt as you do I would treat these laws just like a speeding ticket.
Posted By: Dave_in_WV Re: Dumbest hunting laws - 08/29/18

Actually I understand that one. Every year does with antlers are taken here. Few but it happens. They are checked as antlered does.

Except for squirrel hunters. I watch for them about as much as for deer when up a tree.

I suggest bow hunters using a tree stand wrap a piece of orange surveyor's tape on the tree you're in.
Originally Posted by Dave_in_WV

Actually I understand that one. Every year does with antlers are taken here. Few but it happens. They are checked as antlered does.

I hear you, but take AK. Only buck allowed, they require proof of sex remain attached, you don't need to keep the horns. So how do you 1)decide to shoot and 2) If you show the law a vagina, you are getting a ticket.

So, you need antlers and antlers are what you shoot.
Posted By: TomT Re: Dumbest hunting laws - 08/29/18
NY State (NO shortage of dumb Laws here): leaning a loaded firearm against a vehicle (truck, ATV, ETC.) is the same as having a loaded gun in the vehicle. I understand they don't want hunting from a vehicle, but tying a shoelace or taking a piss with your gun leaning up against a bumper shouldn't be a punishable offense IMHO. -TomT
Posted By: renegade50 Re: Dumbest hunting laws - 08/29/18
Originally Posted by jimy
Originally Posted by renegade50
Originally Posted by efw

Same in Maine

I woulda done it.

ECT ect ect.

If I felt as you do I would treat these laws just like a speeding ticket.

And breaking the law is worth losing your hunting license and being labeled in the interstate license compact data base.....
No thanks........
Posted By: Bama_Rick Re: Dumbest hunting laws - 08/29/18
Here it is illegal to hunt with the aid of bait. Hunt deer or pigs over a pile of corn and its a ticket.

However, "There shall be a rebuttable presumption that any bait or feed located beyond 100 yards from the hunter and not within the line of sight of the hunter is not a lure, attraction or enticement to, on or over the area the hunter is attempting to kill or take the deer or feral swine".
Posted By: reivertom Re: Dumbest hunting laws - 08/29/18
The dumbest one I've heard of is the one that Ted Nugent got caught up in a few years ago. In Alaska, if you shoot at a game animal and know for sure you had a clean miss and didn't touch the game, you still have to quit hunting until the next day....at least I think that's the way it goes.
Posted By: kid0917 Re: Dumbest hunting laws - 08/29/18
Originally Posted by reivertom
The dumbest one I've heard of is the one that Ted Nugent got caught up in a few years ago. In Alaska, if you shoot at a game animal and know for sure you had a clean miss and didn't touch the game, you still have to quit hunting until the next day....at least I think that's the way it goes.

I never heard of that one before. I thought Nugent was caught up in a lot more than that, but my recall is scarce lately..

No. He was hunting bear, on camera for a show. His arrow just touched the bear, and when they reviewed the footage, they were sure the bear was not injured. So the next day he took another bear. In that location, there was a rule in place, that even a touch punches your tag. So the second bear was illegal. Since he transported it across states lines, they went after him as a Lacey Act violation which would have resulted in loss of all of his hunting and gun rights if convicted. So he plead out. (Don't recall for sure if it was bow or gun, but even the judge (a local hunter) was not aware of the rule.
As I understand it, it was caught later, as the footage was aired.

Edit: this link says there was enough of a touch for a blood trail. And it was bow hunting, as I thought.
https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/art...hunting-violation-apologizes/2012/04/24/
Posted By: stevelyn Re: Dumbest hunting laws - 08/29/18

. The biggest "never in doubt" bullschitter of suspect information I know has never mentioned that one.
Posted By: shaman Re: Dumbest hunting laws - 08/29/18
Sunday hunting proscriptions always burned me. However, they're dead and buried in Ohio, so I should be happy.

The dumbest ones were in the transition. For some years, you could only hunt on Sunday on private property and you had to be a close relative of the landowner. My buddy promised that he'd always tell them I was the BIL of his first wife-- the one they had to put in the insane asylum.

Among the current crop of laws I'm facing in Kentucky are the proscriptions against baiting for turkeys. I don't think baiting is a good idea, but they'll prosecute you for hunting on your own property if the neighbor has secretly baited and not told you.

In Ohio, the dumbest is the current laws regarding legal deer rifle chamberings. You can shoot a 30-06 at a coyote, but you can't shoot one at a deer.
Posted By: Redneck Re: Dumbest hunting laws - 08/29/18
WI used to (thank God it's now GONE) have a law that a hunter could not have an uncased firearm (whether loaded or unloaded) "on" any vehicle.. I.e., if you had the back gate on the pickup down and the rifle on it - you got cited.. But even worse - if the rifle was even LEANING against the bumper, they said it was "on" the vehicle and ya get cited..

Couple of years ago or so they finally got rid of the idiotic law...
Posted By: slumlord Re: Dumbest hunting laws - 08/29/18
Originally Posted by shaman
Sunday hunting proscriptions always burned me. However, they're dead and buried in Ohio, so I should be happy.

The dumbest ones were in the transition. For some years, you could only hunt on Sunday on private property and you had to be a close relative of the landowner. My buddy promised that he'd always tell them I was the BIL of his first wife-- the one they had to put in the insane asylum.

Among the current crop of laws I'm facing in Kentucky are the proscriptions against baiting for turkeys. I don't think baiting is a good idea, but they'll prosecute you for hunting on your own property if the neighbor has secretly baited and not told you.

In Ohio, the dumbest is the current laws regarding legal deer rifle chamberings. You can shoot a 30-06 at a coyote, but you can't shoot one at a deer.

For all my hunting life we've not had that law in Tn

Kind of wouldve worked for me.

Used to burn my ass getting ready for and taking my family to church and hearing some heathen trespassing asshat would touch of a a shot on what I knew was our back acreage of hardwood or at least at the line. Trespassers knew our family were pretty dedicated to church during that time when my kids were young and part of several group activities.
Posted By: jimone Re: Dumbest hunting laws - 08/29/18
I like having 1 day a week when I can walk the dog without worrying about getting shot by some Masshole.
And it lets the woods cool off.
Originally Posted by shaman

I know the reasoning behind that, from ODNR legal dept. I can legally use ANY rifle or shotgun on squirrel, but not deer in the same woods or the same time. The reason is safety. Squirrel is not very popular anymore, so the number of hunters in the woods at any given time is relatively low, but during deer gun everyone who even thinks of deer hunting is in the woods at the same time, so they want shorter range bullets used. (Straight wall or tapered, .357-.50) neck down cartridges shoot much further.
This is a vast improvement on the original list of approved chamberings.
Edit to add pic.
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/galleries/13092771#Post13092771
I built my AR-15.450Bushmaster, 2 years before I could legally use it for Ohio deer.
Posted By: shawlerbrook Re: Dumbest hunting laws - 08/29/18
Here in NYS we used to have a no Sunday hunting law for the eastern part of the state. Near me the dividing line was a River that you could throw a stone across. You could shoot a deer on Sunday west of the river, but if it jumped the river you would have to wait until Monday to track it on the east side. Thank God that is now history.
Posted By: WRPape Re: Dumbest hunting laws - 08/29/18
In Maryland, you must have written permission signed by the landowner. Even if they are a relative. Landowners must carry last year's property tax bill on their person along with photo ID to prove they own the land. It's still pretty easy to get permission to hunt, but when you ask the owner to sign the official state issued form they almost always refuse. A friend of mine was on a property bow hunting within sight of the owners farmhouse. When DNR showed up he didn't have written permission on him but the landowner walked over and said it was ok, I'll write him a note. The officer said "too late" and ARRESTED him for trespassing!

Stay away from Maryland.
Posted By: StoneCutter Re: Dumbest hunting laws - 08/29/18
Originally Posted by efw

It used to be that way in Maryland and I could never understand it. We were being over run by deer and they wanted to control the herd with big bag limits, but you couldn't hunt on Sundays. That made it tough for people like me who have to work on Saturdays. About 10 years ago they started the process of changing it. They started off slow with a few counties on a few dates and they've been increasing it slowly. Now we can hunt all Sundays in pretty much all counties on private land only.

Here's still the stupid part though. In my county, you can only hunt on Sundays up until 10:30am...................10:30am????? WTF is with that? Who the hell came up with 10:30am? Why not 10:00 or 12:00 or all day for that matter........10:30???? I'm sure there is some damned special interest group behind it or something.
Posted By: kennyd Re: Dumbest hunting laws - 08/29/18
Colorado's rule on handguns is about enoug power. I am not sure about a less than 4 inch barrel not giving enough umph, but it does reduce your sight radius. The energy ratings are not hard to find. From memory, you can use a .454, .50, .44 mag, .41 mag, and (surprise) .30 carbine, but not the .357, unless you find a published chart showing the energy. But the same cartridge in a rifle has to make 1000 pounds. The bullet diameter thing is for policing illegal hunting, not too sure how well it works. You cannot hunt any small game during big game with a larger than .23 diameter (gets around Wyo.'s odd rule).

I have never been asked about cartridge, but also do not do things to get asked. I have used a .22 and .36 Navy for a coup de grace, but technically shouldn't have.

Now, about that flashlight taped to the gun.!!!!!!!
Originally Posted by TomT
NY State (NO shortage of dumb Laws here): leaning a loaded firearm against a vehicle (truck, ATV, ETC.) is the same as having a loaded gun in the vehicle. I understand they don't want hunting from a vehicle, but tying a shoelace or taking a piss with your gun leaning up against a bumper shouldn't be a punishable offense IMHO. -TomT

We have that one here too.

In addition to that, the ammo and the gun have to be in two different compartments of the vehicle while driving or it's considered a loaded weapon.
I'll never entire Merryland again.
Posted By: fishdog52 Re: Dumbest hunting laws - 08/29/18
New York has several that are pretty quirky:
1. NY has a season on coyotes.
2. To hunt with my crossbow, a muzzleloader license is required.
3. When deer hunting with a junior, you are not allowed to use an elevated stand. I cannot imagine a situation, wherein you have more control, than sitting together in a solid, well placed tree stand.
4. Then we have the so called SAFE Act, which I remain unable to rationally discuss. This put a permanant fear of professional politicians in my soul. It is in the same league as the old Sullivan law whereby a local statute superceded state law. It was an epiphany that my government could pass legislation making criminals out of innocent, upstanding citizens.

Contrary to an earlier comment, I agree with the rule against leaning a firearm against your car or truck. Over the decades, I have witnessed dozens of long guns slipping over after being so placed. The guys that do this nearly always do it with a loaded firearm.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Dumbest hunting laws - 08/29/18
Posted By: MMM Re: Dumbest hunting laws - 08/29/18
I think any kind of rule/law restricting taking wild hogs is kind of ridiculous. We do have a few restrictions on it in Mississippi.
Posted By: wytex Re: Dumbest hunting laws - 08/29/18

Um, the Conservation stamp is required, that is what he is talking about.
Originally Posted by stxhunter

+2

The dumb part here is that it's OK to have the plug out with 5 loaded for deer, but everything else has to have the plug in.
Originally Posted by Dave_in_WV

I hear you, but take AK. Only buck allowed, they require proof of sex remain attached, you don't need to keep the horns. So how do you 1)decide to shoot and 2) If you show the law a vagina, you are getting a ticket.

So, you need antlers and antlers are what you shoot.

Here it is antlered or antlerless during deer season and bearded or beardless for Spring turkey season. Some hens have a beard. So nuts or nutless isn't a factor. No pecker checks needed. laugh
Posted By: rost495 Re: Dumbest hunting laws - 08/29/18
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Originally Posted by efw

seperation of religion and state is supposed to be there. Why mandate, if you are "good" then you don't hunt if thats how you read it, if you are not of that religion then why should it matter?

RE comment about the day off... they mostly get all week off anyway around here... I don't think they need 6 days a week off LOL
Genesis 27:3
Verse Concepts
"Now then, please take your gear, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me;
Originally Posted by kellory

No. He was hunting bear, on camera for a show. His arrow just touched the bear, and when they reviewed the footage, they were sure the bear was not injured. So the next day he took another bear. In that location, there was a rule in place, that even a touch punches your tag. So the second bear was illegal. Since he transported it across states lines, they went after him as a Lacey Act violation which would have resulted in loss of all of his hunting and gun rights if convicted. So he plead out. (Don't recall for sure if it was bow or gun, but even the judge (a local hunter) was not aware of the rule.
As I understand it, it was caught later, as the footage was aired.

Edit: this link says there was enough of a touch for a blood trail. And it was bow hunting, as I thought.
https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/art...hunting-violation-apologizes/2012/04/24/

Oh....my mistake, The actual law is just as dumb as what I posted. If no bear, or other game animal was taken, why would they count it as a tagged animal, seeing that there is no animal to tag? It is a carcass tag after all....no carcass, no kill in my little world.
In Kentucky, you can hunt coyotes at night during certain months, but at night you can only use a shotgun. In the day, you can use nearly anything. If they are so paranoid about coyote hunters taking a rifle shot at a deer, then why are they relaxing the deer regulations so hunters will kill more deer to thin out the numbers in most areas? The night time coyote hunting is only from Feb-May, so a deer hunter wouldn't be able to check a deer they took at night, and poachers don't care about laws. The chance of a law abiding coyote hunter killing a deer at night with a rifle are nearly zero, and criminals don't give a squat about laws anyway.
Posted By: Hammerdown Re: Dumbest hunting laws - 08/29/18
No use of: One eyed deer dog, Jack light, Spot light, Head lights. Gee, It's hard to see them at night with out these aids. Oh yes, and a flash light.
Tags, Why? More Government tax..

Ha ha ha ha!

We must follow all laws, and be good sportsmen.
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Originally Posted by efw

seperation of religion and state is supposed to be there. Why mandate, if you are "good" then you don't hunt if thats how you read it, if you are not of that religion then why should it matter?

RE comment about the day off... they mostly get all week off anyway around here... I don't think they need 6 days a week off LOL

I'm against the no-sunday hunting myself, but my understanding isn't that it is for observance of any (gasp) religion, but because most working folk used to have sunday off, and it was a day for rest and relaxation without hearing gunshots other associated noise.
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: Dumbest hunting laws - 08/29/18
It's weird down here I tell ya. You can shoot critters but not a-holes. .
Posted By: 16bore Re: Dumbest hunting laws - 08/29/18
Minimum .23 caliber for big game in VA is idiotic. Especially since it's legal in every state that borders it and 75's in a 223 trump anything in a 6x45....

Sunday's on private land is fine with me, don't care either way.

But I hate f-n deer hunting dogs....
Posted By: saddlesore Re: Dumbest hunting laws - 08/29/18
Having both archery hunters and muzzle loader hunters in the same time frame in the woods,but only muzzle loader hunters have to wear blaze orange in Colorado.Should be both or neither.
Posted By: tedthorn Re: Dumbest hunting laws - 08/29/18
Shotgun only deer states
Posted By: Whelenman Re: Dumbest hunting laws - 08/30/18
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

Actually,

There is a separate conservation stamp in Wyoming that you must purchase separately. It's an actual stamp, similar to a duck stamp.

It can be a big deal if you an out of sate hunter and you are late getting out there, done that!!!
Posted By: Cheyenne Re: Dumbest hunting laws - 08/30/18
Let's hear them.

Wyoming used to have an energy requirement for hunting big game with handguns that specified published velocity of 500 ft lbs at 100 yards. That pretty much meant .41 Magnum or better. The law changed in the last couple of years to allow (in part) for bighorn sheep, elk, moose, mountain goat or black bear :

"Any center-fire firearm of at least .24 caliber and firing a cartridge of at least two (2) inches in overall length, or any other cartridge of at least .35 caliber and at least one and one-half inches (1.5) in overall length, and using an expanding point bullet; or . . ."

Now, the way I read that, I could get a 2" S&W J frame .357 magnum revolver, load an expanding point bullet in a .357 magnum case to over 1.5 inches COL in front of 4 grains of 231, and be legal, while the best Underwood/Double Tap/Buffalo Bore 10 mm round fired out of a Colt Delta Elite won't meet the criteria. Sometimes, good ideas don't get implemented in the best possible manner.

Posted By: Cheyenne Re: Dumbest hunting laws - 08/30/18
Originally Posted by Whelenman

If you are talking about a conservation stamp, it is because you only need one stamp no matter how many licenses you buy. Most license sellers will ask you if you need one whenever you purchase a license.
Posted By: Dryfly24 Re: Dumbest hunting laws - 08/30/18
Here in New Mexico there are two extra stamps required to hunt doves if you are hunting in certain areas. Both are free and are just an extra click of the mouse when printing your license.

They make no sense whatsoever. Last year I had them and my friend didn't when the warden checked our licenses. The warden informed my buddy that he was missing the required stamps and that is all that happened. He could have actually ticketed him but we got the impression that even the wardens thought it was an asinine regulation.

The other one that bugs me is the no dove hunting in many states that have plenty. Doves are migratory. Don't shoot them in one state and they'll get shot in another.

Oh, and I'll throw in the retarded no Sunday hunting laws also...
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Dumbest hunting laws - 08/30/18
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
It's weird down here I tell ya. You can shoot critters but not a-holes. .

Sure ya' can.....................

if you're an Uber driver!

Geno
Posted By: TRnCO Re: Dumbest hunting laws - 08/30/18
You cannot hunt any small game during big game with a larger than .23 diameter (gets around Wyo.'s odd rule).
Not true. You can hunt small game with a larger than .23 dia. IF you have an unfilled big game license and if I remember right there are different rules that allow small game/small caliber east of the I-25 corridor.
Originally Posted by jimy
In Pa you can't hunt on Sundays but that leaves you both NY and OHio both have great seasons, quit bitchin.

jimy,

Please explain why a person who lives in the center of PA should be required to obtain a non-resident license and/or tags, drive however many miles, and do all this on their only day off makes any logical sense at all? After all, are they citizens of the Commonwealth or not?

It might work somewhat, excluding the added expense, for those who live close to a bordering state, but still seems rather odd to me.

Geno
Posted By: Just a Hunter Re: Dumbest hunting laws - 08/30/18
MT had a law that a person cannot use a game camera during any hunting season. So from 15 August to sometime in June a person couldn't use them. Odd thing about that regulation is it wasn't even law. I talked to a game warden about it and he said someone just put it in the regs, but here was no law to back it up. He still took came cameras though that he found during season since it was in the regs. Not following written regulations is what he based it on.

The one I hate the most is having to pay to use state land to recreate on.
Posted By: MarineHawk Re: Dumbest hunting laws - 08/30/18
Originally Posted by tedthorn
Shotgun only deer states

I agree that this one is the absolute dumbest.

In shotgun-only deer states, you can hunt with, for example, a sabot-rifled 300gr slug leaving the shotgun muzzle at 2,000 fps:
https://winchester.com/Products/Ammunition/Shotshell/XP3/SXP123

But you can’t hunt with, for example, a 45-70 rifle throwing the same size bullet at a slower speed: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2...vernment-300-grain-jacketed-hollow-point

I think the entire shotgun-only deer rule is nonsensical, but if they were even going to try to make it make sense, they should have an upward velocity limit; rather than limiting the hunting to a certain type of firearm that can fire bullets at rifle velocities.

In the mid-1990s, my brother moved from a sparsely-populated area of Indiana, where he had to hunt deer with a shotgun, to Charlottesville, Virginia. Soon after moving, he went to a G&A store, and asked the old-timer running it a bunch of questions about nearby places to shoot, hunt, fish, etc. … The old-timer patiently answered all of his questions in an informative manner. As my brother was leaving, he thanked the man, and then said: “One more question, can you hunt deer with a rifle here”? The old man walked up to my brother, put his hand on his shoulder, and sympathetically told him: “Son, you south of the Mason-Dixon line now.”

As I can recall in my old age.

PA: having to wear hunter orange while squirrel hunting with my bow for squirrel while walking to my deer hunting area. The no Sunday hunting has been discussed. And the no-semi auto firearms for deer hunting, but slide and lever action are allowed.

All states: residency laws. When a person moves for a "permanent" position and moves all their scheidt cross country, changes driver's license,insurance, start paying State and Local taxes, perhaps buys a residence or signs a lease on a place and so on, yet they are not considered a "resident" for hunting/fishing purposes for 3-12 months depending on the state. Honestly............a person does all that just to save a couple of hundred $$$ on a license?

CA: how about this one I think is still on the books..............If the wildlife folks determine a need for a doe season the County Board of Supervisors gets to say yeah or nay. Smart, eh? County Supervisors making game law decisions. laugh laugh

WA: I could not hunt grouse in an area with an open big game season with my 25-20 pistol if I did not also possess a valid big game tag for that unit. I could with a .22, but not the pistol I would choose to use. (yes, I sort of understand their reasoning............sort of but mostly not)

NY: at least I think it was this way back in '99. During deer season one could only use a shotgun in some areas but it was perfectly fine to sit in farmer John's field and shoot woodchucks with a centerfire rifle............... confused

Geno
Posted By: 16bore Re: Dumbest hunting laws - 08/30/18
Originally Posted by MarineHawk
Originally Posted by tedthorn
Shotgun only deer states

I agree that this one is the absolute dumbest.

In shotgun-only deer states, you can hunt with, for example, a sabot-rifled 300gr slug leaving the shotgun muzzle at 2,000 fps:
https://winchester.com/Products/Ammunition/Shotshell/XP3/SXP123

But you can’t hunt with, for example, a 45-70 rifle throwing the same size bullet at a slower speed: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2...vernment-300-grain-jacketed-hollow-point

I think the entire shotgun-only deer rule is nonsensical, but if they were even going to try to make it make sense, they should have an upward velocity limit; rather than limiting the hunting to a certain type of firearm that can fire bullets at rifle velocities.

In the mid-1990s, my brother moved from a sparsely-populated area of Indiana, where he had to hunt deer with a shotgun, to Charlottesville, Virginia. Soon after moving, he went to a G&A store, and asked the old-timer running it a bunch of questions about nearby places to shoot, hunt, fish, etc. … The old-timer patiently answered all of his questions in an informative manner. As my brother was leaving, he thanked the man, and then said: “One more question, can you hunt deer with a rifle here”? The old man walked up to my brother, put his hand on his shoulder, and sympathetically told him: “Son, you south of the Mason-Dixon line now.”

Usually dogs and shotguns.....and a pile of f-n drunks. They'll get some mutt from the pound and let it chase anything that moves. If you hear one shot, it was at a beer can or stop sign.......it takes 3 shots to kill a deer.
Posted By: Mountain10mm Re: Dumbest hunting laws - 08/30/18
Originally Posted by Cheyenne
[quote=Mountain10mm]Let's hear them.

Wyoming used to have an energy requirement for hunting big game with handguns that specified published velocity of 500 ft lbs at 100 yards. That pretty much meant .41 Magnum or better. The law changed in the last couple of years to allow (in part) for bighorn sheep, elk, moose, mountain goat or black bear :

"Any center-fire firearm of at least .24 caliber and firing a cartridge of at least two (2) inches in overall length, or any other cartridge of at least .35 caliber and at least one and one-half inches (1.5) in overall length, and using an expanding point bullet; or . . ."

Now, the way I read that, I could get a 2" S&W J frame .357 magnum revolver, load an expanding point bullet in a .357 magnum case to over 1.5 inches COL behind 4 grains of 231, and be legal, while the best Underwood/Double Tap/Buffalo Bore 10 mm round fired out of as Colt Delta Elite won't meet the criteria. Sometimes good ideas don't get implemented in the best possible manner.

I hear you Cheyenne. Clearly some clueless person was trying to keep the weak rounds from being used for hunting. I get that. The answer is as simple as a min. caliber and min. muzzle energy. Say .35 caliber or larger with a min. muzzle energy of 550 ft. lbs. It's really that easy.
Posted By: Mountain10mm Re: Dumbest hunting laws - 08/30/18
Originally Posted by Valsdad

All states: residency laws. When a person moves for a "permanent" position and moves all their scheidt cross country, changes driver's license,insurance, start paying State and Local taxes, perhaps buys a residence or signs a lease on a place and so on, yet they are not considered a "resident" for hunting/fishing purposes for 3-12 months depending on the state. Honestly............a person does all that just to save a couple of hundred $$$ on a license?

Geno

OMG completely forget about that one. When I moved to Colorado 15 years ago, I had CO driver's license, was employed, was paying state taxes, had a house, and registered both of our cars here, but couldn't buy a resident elk tag. Was livid. If I remember right, we had 30 days to register our cars and get local driver's licenses or we could be fined as avoiding state fees (which were about $600 more per vehicle than the state I came from.) If I had the money, I'd have taken the DOW to court just out of principle. I'd probably have lost because some loophole law that lets the DOW make their own rules, but it was, and still is, asinine. You either are a resident of the state or not.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Dumbest hunting laws - 08/30/18
In Idaho they are as long as they're still attached to a front quarter. Likewise for does or cows during an anterless season.
Posted By: mart Re: Dumbest hunting laws - 08/30/18
The whole proof of sex thing has always bugged me. How is a hunter's sex life any of their business? grin
Posted By: coyote268 Re: Dumbest hunting laws - 08/30/18
In CA you must use non lead shot for Turkeys but you can shoot them with a lead pellet out of a pellet gun
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Dumbest hunting laws - 08/31/18
Originally Posted by coyote268
In CA you must use non lead shot for Turkeys but you can shoot them with a lead pellet out of a pellet gun

coyote,

I forgot about that one. And as I recall there's no caliber restriction either for the air rifle, or do I have that wrong.

Geno
Originally Posted by Valsdad

Geno

OMG completely forget about that one. When I moved to Colorado 15 years ago, I had CO driver's license, was employed, was paying state taxes, had a house, and registered both of our cars here, but couldn't buy a resident elk tag. Was livid. If I remember right, we had 30 days to register our cars and get local driver's licenses or we could be fined as avoiding state fees (which were about $600 more per vehicle than the state I came from.) If I had the money, I'd have taken the DOW to court just out of principle. I'd probably have lost because some loophole law that lets the DOW make their own rules, but it was, and still is, asinine. You either are a resident of the state or not.

Yep, kind of a pisser, especially considering I've lived in 7 States since 1999.

And you're likely correct in thinking there's some statute in effect that allows that crap, just like if you have a hunting license and you happen to be in an area that has an open season (just about any open season) the game wardens can pull you over and ask to search your vehicle under the "presumption" that you are there to hunt..................because you have a license. They don't have to have seen you out of the vehicle with a rifle/bow/spear etc. Your just passing thru, the run your plate, bingo.

Geno
Posted By: 700LH Re: Dumbest hunting laws - 08/31/18
Shouldn't be doe or buck season, bull or cow, or male or female, antlered and antlerless is correct
Originally Posted by 700LH
Shouldn't be doe or buck season, bull or cow, or male or female, antlered and antlerless is correct

Well, I guess that's one area Cali has some semblance of sanity. By definition they go by antlers/antleress. And a deer with less than 3" spikes is considered "antlerless" if one holds a tag and should take one. From what I was told it is due to the fact that a spike that size is hard to determine at distance when the ears are up.

But antlerless/antlered is the rule.

Geno
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: Dumbest hunting laws - 08/31/18
Too many to list but non leaded rifle ammo is the latest head shaker for me.
Posted By: Seven_Heaven Re: Dumbest hunting laws - 08/31/18
Years ago I hunted deer in an area that had some of the most screwed up antlers I've ever seen. Must have been a nuclear dump site nearby.

When the antler restrictions went into effect those ugly critters became off limits which allowed their genes to be passed on. Used to shoot the screwed up ones for meat instead of a doe. I'm talking things like two tall tines on one side and knuckles on the other side. One of the biggest bodied and oldest whitetail I've ever taken had only six tines and an inside spread of only about 10 inches.(Yep, it was taken years before the restictions.)

I've often wondered if the place is now over run with odd balls since the restrictions.

My other objection to antler restrictions is that it forces meat hunters to become trophy hunters or limit themselves to does. I like big racks on wimmens and deer, but I know a couple of old ranchers that are not really hunters. They just like to take a deer now and then for meat. Often from their back porch while having the morning coffee.

Don't even get me started on water fowl! Just about need to have a lawyer with ya.
Posted By: shaman Re: Dumbest hunting laws - 08/31/18
Originally Posted by mart
The whole proof of sex thing has always bugged me. How is a hunter's sex life any of their business? grin

And keeping your gonads pinned to the carcass during transport must have been a real pain, right?
Posted By: barm Re: Dumbest hunting laws - 08/31/18
Originally Posted by 16bore
Minimum .23 caliber for big game in VA is idiotic. Especially since it's legal in every state that borders it and 75's in a 223 trump anything in a 6x45....

I agree the .23 caliber minimum has to go.

The dog hunting for deer is a strange one. I have met a couple of people in the southern part of the state which use dogs to hunt. As you pointed out in a post further down the page, it sounds like a bunch of drunks chasing deer in pick-ups. I have heard stories of shooting "buck shot" at animals crossing the roads. Letting their dogs out on other people's property knowing they have the right to go get them, so they can push deer out. These guys were unapologetic and acted like it was their right to do so. I am sure there are some ethical guys who do this type of hunting, but I have not had a chance to talk to one of them yet.
Posted By: coyote268 Re: Dumbest hunting laws - 08/31/18
HI Geno. Yes you can't shoot within 150 yards of a resident but a pellet gun is not classified as a firearm so you can wack a Turkey off your deck. Actually they did this as there are a lot of Turkeys in residential areas and it generates more money for license sales which CA fish and game is only interested in.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Dumbest hunting laws - 08/31/18
Idaho allows any centerfire on all big game. The type of bullet or KE is irrelevant. You can shoot a moose or bear with a 22 Hornet if you want to. There are a couple restrictions on ML guns but none on cartridges.
Posted By: TheBigSky Re: Dumbest hunting laws - 08/31/18
Illegal to use game cameras during hunting season.

Illegal to use lighted knocks on arrows while bowhunting.

Illegal to shoot crows.
Posted By: las Re: Dumbest hunting laws - 08/31/18

I've been known to do that, when I was Retrieverless. smile.

I remember one unretrievable wounded goose in Cook Inlet, before dog, going out with the tide, that took a half dozen or more shots to kill. I finally resorted to OOBuck, and that took two or 3 before I got a killing hit.

Antlers no good as proof of sex also makes sense in the case of large animals packed out piece by piece. Easy to carry antlers into the field with you, not so easy to attach a scrotum.

Also why many game regs read "antler-less", rather than "cow" or "doe" as some females have been known to grow antlers.

Hard to feel up alive critter in the wild .... tho I have called in moose close enough to almost do so - certainly get a good visual!

You want some lawyerese in your reading, read the definition of "take" in Alaska's hunting regs. Short version is if you pick up a gun and think about going hunting, you are all done for the season - or it could be interpreted that way by a warden if so desired.
Posted By: 7 STW Re: Dumbest hunting laws - 08/31/18
Quebec. Can't pack a rifle while retrieving wounded game. No chitt look it up
Posted By: AKtrapper26 Re: Dumbest hunting laws - 08/31/18
Back when PA was home, having an actual 'start time' was ridiculous to me. See a buck directly under your stand at 6:13, but start time is 6:17, so you can't shoot it. Seriously? Who is the person that decides shooting light to that degree, for every hillside, in every weather condition, knows the eyesight capability of several hundred thousand hunters, and the distance every deer will be from every treestand or still hunter?

That and hunting on Sundays. I am a Christian and attend church on Sundays, too. But now I go hunting right after. smile
Posted By: 16bore Re: Dumbest hunting laws - 08/31/18
Originally Posted by barm

The dog hunting for deer is a strange one. I have met a couple of people in the southern part of the state which use dogs to hunt. As you pointed out in a post further down the page, it sounds like a bunch of drunks chasing deer in pick-ups. I have heard stories of shooting "buck shot" at animals crossing the roads. Letting their dogs out on other people's property knowing they have the right to go get them, so they can push deer out. These guys were unapologetic and acted like it was their right to do so. I am sure there are some ethical guys who do this type of hunting, but I have not had a chance to talk to one of them yet.

Being shot at, on my own f-n property, should give you an idea of the mentality.
Posted By: kellory Re: Dumbest hunting laws - 08/31/18
Originally Posted by AKtrapper26
Back when PA was home, having an actual 'start time' was ridiculous to me. See a buck directly under your stand at 6:13, but start time is 6:17, so you can't shoot it. Seriously? Who is the person that decides shooting light to that degree, for every hillside, in every weather condition, knows the eyesight capability of several hundred thousand hunters, and the distance every deer will be from every treestand or still hunter?

That and hunting on Sundays. I am a Christian and attend church on Sundays, too. But now I go hunting right after. smile

The rule here was "can see to can't see".....right up until some idiots decided that meant they could hunt all night under street lights. Now we have an exact start and stop time.
Posted By: AKtrapper26 Re: Dumbest hunting laws - 08/31/18
Ha! That figures, Kellory. Has to be some of those in every crowd, I suppose.

I actually had a WCO stop me as I left the woods one morning to check if I had fired my rifle and check for blood on my person. I had no deer, but there was a shot (several hours earlier) before "starting time", and he wanted to make sure it hadn't been me. (It wasn't...hadn't seen a legal deer, or fired a shot smile )
Posted By: kellory Re: Dumbest hunting laws - 08/31/18
Originally Posted by AKtrapper26
Ha! That figures, Kellory. Has to be some of those in every crowd, I suppose.

I actually had a WCO stop me as I left the woods one morning to check if I had fired my rifle and check for blood on my person. I had no deer, but there was a shot (several hours earlier) before "starting time", and he wanted to make sure it hadn't been me. (It wasn't...hadn't seen a legal deer, or fired a shot smile )

I stop in at the ODNR offices every year at the least, and sometimes 3-4 times a year to discuss rules, laws, changes, and the reasons behind those changes. They usually make sense.
There is a rule that disallows any light projection from the weapon onto a deer. Then someone started selling razerhead tips with a laser in the spine of the head. It would have done the same thing but would have gotten you arrested if you used it. The law did not say "from the weapon or the ammo", so it would have meant court time. They were not aware the product existed.
It obeyed the letter of the law, but not the intent of the law. Anyone using it would have been accused of being a poacher, since it allows for low-to too low light shooting of game.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Dumbest hunting laws - 09/01/18
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
In Idaho they are as long as they're still attached to a front quarter. Likewise for does or cows during an anterless season.

I wasn't talking about Idaho. I'm guessing lots of sheit that is legal in some states, ain't in others. Savvy
Posted By: deflave Re: Dumbest hunting laws - 09/01/18
The no shooting from a vehicle or from a highway is dumber than schit.
Posted By: deflave Re: Dumbest hunting laws - 09/01/18
Originally Posted by barm

Being shot at, on my own f-n property, should give you an idea of the mentality.

Lots of different hound hunting is obsolete in 2018 but there are still gobs of people that insist it is their "right" and refuse to leave mommy's house to live somewhere that affords the ability to do it legally and without causing problems.
Posted By: Klikitarik Re: Dumbest hunting laws - 09/01/18
Originally Posted by las

I've been known to do that, when I was Retrieverless. smile.

I remember one unretrievable wounded goose in Cook Inlet, before dog, going out with the tide, that took a half dozen or more shots to kill. I finally resorted to OOBuck, and that took two or 3 before I got a killing hit.

Good thing "O" comes before "T"......O, even a pair of them, must be smaller than T. smile ????!!!!!!!! grin

Kind of a shame that non-toxic buck is only rubber though. laugh

Hint: ............... never mind.
© 24hourcampfire