Home
WOW! The Army has just doubled the effective range of their 155m/m cannon to 38 miles!
Amazing.
Link to follow.

https://www.foxnews.com/tech/major-...y-hits-target-at-38-miles-doubling-range

Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Did the tighten up the twist rate and call it a creedmoor?
Well shucks...I never knew we were outmatched by 'superior', made in chine artillary
Will they install a "can" next?
Must be using a
Rocket
Assisted
Projectile
Yeah...they necked it down to 6.5 Creedmoor....and it's kicking ass and taking names!!
Originally Posted by fubarguy
Must be using a
Rocket
Assisted
Projectile

It doesn't look like it if the video is showing the improved ordinance. In the vid they are packing in a canister charge after the projectile is loaded.
Good for them, I've always had the greatest respect for cannon cockers with their ability to lay in the ordinance day or night rain or shine when those of us that flew were grounded.
From the article:

"“The Russian and Chinese have been able to outrange most of our systems,” Murray said.

Citing the Russian invasion of Ukraine as a “wake-up call,” Murray explained that Russian weaponry, tactics and warfare integration caused a particular concern among Army leaders.

“In Ukraine, we saw the pairing of drones with artillery, using drones as spotters. Their organizational structure and tactics were a wake-up call for us to start looking at a more serious strategy,” Murray explained."
Originally Posted by whackem_stackem
Did the tighten up the twist rate and call it a creedmoor?

Post of the day...you win!!!
I was in the Third 155 Howitzer Battery on Okinawa in 1960- 1961. As I recall, about 13 miles was our max range.
So what size is the x ring at that range?
Originally Posted by RickyD
Originally Posted by fubarguy
Must be using a
Rocket
Assisted
Projectile

It doesn't look like it if the video is showing the improved ordinance. In the vid they are packing in a canister charge after the projectile is loaded.

Read the article, don't just look at the pictures. fubarguy is correct
Originally Posted by 1minute
So what size is the x ring at that range?

Minute of T-90...
If the T-90 is thirty feet long, at 38 miles, that's a half minute rifle. Not too shabby.

I saw a reference to ram jet with regards to the projectile. I wonder if it also has "smart bomb" technology?

I saw hints of guided 155 mm projectiles with rocket assist built into the shell as long as ten years ago. But the range was closer to 25 miles at that time.
Long reach is good, but it's of little merit if they can't hit the target. Been eyes on the target way too many times when arty was scattering HE all around the target but not ON target.
Curdog4570: I wonder "how big" the target they "hit" was?
Tank size?
Warehouse size?
From my chair here in my library/computer room I can look north and seen (in the now crystal clear air!) the Tobbaccoo Root Mountain Range of the Rockies - they are just at 38 miles from my chair!
I am awed by that canon shot!
38 miles is FAR!
GO ARMY
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Long reach is good, but it's of little merit if they can't hit the target. Been eyes on the target way too many times when arty was scattering HE all around the target but not ON target.

With a 16-incher, ya get just a little more latitude with your scatter. Somewhere in the grid will do.
Ackley Improved.
A 6.5 Creedmoor will do that!!
Old school perspective offered for free and perhaps irrelevant in today's scheme of warfare. During my days in 'Nam we had 4 arty platforms at our disposal to various degrees. The 105mm, 155mm, 8" and 175mm guns provided various performance levels. There was a brief time in my early days over there when the 16" naval guns were online, but not enough to make note of, other than the fact they had long reach, huge booms and from my limited experience, high precision. They fired shells that weighed over a ton and were never used for support of friendly troops due to the casualty radius.

The 105mm guns were notoriously inaccurate at anything much more than 5-6 kilometer distant. The 155mm was better insofar as precision and reach, but still not terribly inspiring. The 175mm was the epitome of a long range area fire system, never used to support troops directly. Ah, but the 8" gun was the schizzle. In the course of recon missions with Air Cav units we frequently used them to bust bunker complexes to hell'n gone, adjusting fire in reliable 10 meter increments, and doing so with high reliability out to 12 K or so. See the bunker? Watch it vanish in 3....2....1....Gone!

So that is my perspective, for better or worse. Long reach is good, but you gotta hit the frickin' target when you get there. If you can't hit the target, it is a worthless system and not terribly useful in support of friendly troops.
I was in Arty from '71-'77, but in Germany. I trained on the 105, of course, and was headed for Nam. Nixon started pulling people out of Nam so we retrained and went to Germany, 8 inch M110! In that "in-between" period between doing away with the Draft and going All Volunteer, the Army was very short handed. I was never in a company over 100 or a Battalion over 500, so we al lhad a lot of jobs, ha. I did everything from Weapons mechanic, gun bunny, truck driver, every position in Fire direction Center, Parts Clerk and Payroll Guard, plus others. Every time the NVA did a big move in Nam, WARSAW pact swarmed the Border and we eyeballed each other with Tactical Nukes. ( Balance of Power thingy) We were always told that at 11 miles away ,"within 3 shots" ( adjusting fire) an 8 inch could drop a round "into a 55 gallon drum". Now, I don't know for sure, but we prided ourselves in their accuracy. Many, many fire missions, first round hits were called by our FOs. Later, when I was in the Texas Nat'l Guard in the M109s (155) we still used older ammo, but after the Israeli-Arab tangled in '73, we went to new tactics. Hit and run kinda work-house thing! ha I am amazed at the technical progress in the last 47 yrs! Go Arty! "Steel On Target"! Sir! smile
Steel rain!!

It’s weird hearing artillery rounds flying straight over your head. You can hear them easily.
Need to practice on Mexico, stop the Meskins from coming across the border.
Jim Knight: Thank you for the answer and the insights!
Much appreciated.
Stunning accuracy that.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
© 24hourcampfire