Home
Posted By: Salmonella If you won mega millions. - 10/23/18
Where would you buy a ranch for hunting?

I love Wyoming for it's lack of people and conservative politics, but I'd buy where the trophy muley hunting was without compare.
Not exactly sure...

What say you?
Posted By: micky Re: If you won mega millions. - 10/23/18
I would buy enough land in an area that I could get a couple land owner elk tags that had good sized bulls.
I'd buy the whole county.
Posted By: JSTUART Re: If you won mega millions. - 10/23/18
Should I ever win an amount of note I shall purchase a dark valley in Tasmania, then never leave.

added;

Down in a valley where nobody goes
lives an old man without any woes,
he hunts, he fishes, he lives his life well,
and the rest of the world can go to hell.
My ranch is gonna be called,

"Biscuits & Whores"
Posted By: Bristoe Re: If you won mega millions. - 10/23/18
P-47
Originally Posted by kaywoodie

"Biscuits & Whores"

I'd want to visit just for breakfast...🤣
Posted By: shootem Re: If you won mega millions. - 10/23/18

"a" ?
Getting up every morning and slinging one of these big, chunky 2300 HP bastids through the sky would keep me entertained indefinitely,......or at least as long as I lived,...which probably wouldn't be very long.

Originally Posted by shootem

"a" ?

No, with the better part of a billion US that would be an "A".
http://fortune.com/2015/10/29/waggoner-ranch-sale/

Only $725 million.
Originally Posted by JSTUART

Should I ever win an amount of note I shall purchase a dark valley in Tasmania, then never leave.

I really want to fish and dive Tasmania. So when you win, mind if I visit?
There are lots of mega millionaires in the world but most successful ones worked up to it slowly, learning how to handle large bank accounts as they went. Big lottery winners rarely have the necessary experience to deal with that kind of money and it's sometimes disastrous. The smart ones will hire some kind of money manager to help them along but from what I've seen, most aren't that smart. Quite a few of them are broke within 5 to 10 years.
Posted By: KFWA Re: If you won mega millions. - 10/23/18
everyone at work would think I fell off the face of the earth.

I wouldn't even care enough to let them know I won. Of course that wouldn't happen until I had the money in the bank.

As for whatever else I'd do, it would definitely be pretty far away from the masses. On long trips my wife and I play the what would we do if we won the lottery game.

so far all we agree on is go some place warm in the winter and cool in the summer.
Posted By: Hogwild7 Re: If you won mega millions. - 10/23/18
If I win I'll buy Brandywine Island first.
Originally Posted by Scott_Thornley

I really want to fish and dive Tasmania. So when you win, mind if I visit?

If I win I shall send an engraved invitation, a compass and a mudmap.
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
There are lots of mega millionaires in the world but most successful ones worked up to it slowly, learning how to handle large bank accounts as they went. Big lottery winners rarely have the necessary experience to deal with that kind of money and it's sometimes disastrous. The smart ones will hire some kind of money manager to help them along but from what I've seen, most aren't that smart. Quite a few of them are broke within 5 to 10 years.

Oh I don't know, I am willing to chance it.
I'd be surprised since I don't buy lottery tickets.
There are lots of mega millionaires in the world but most successful ones worked up to it slowly, learning how to handle large bank accounts as they went. Big lottery winners rarely have the necessary experience to deal with that kind of money and it's sometimes disastrous. The smart ones will hire some kind of money manager to help them along but from what I've seen, most aren't that smart. Qbouite a few of them are broke within 5 to 10 years.

My first stop would be to a financial counselor.
Financial counselors are a dime a dozen. Known a few that couldn't find anything else to do. I'd more likely head to a regional or maybe home office of someone like Fidelity, Goldman, MorganStanly. Do a 1 man sit in till I got to visit with the headest honcho on site in private. Show a copy of the ticket and assure him the original was safe and sound somewhere underground in a mayonaise jar. Let the talks begin.
Posted By: WeimsnKs Re: If you won mega millions. - 10/23/18
His name would be warren Buffet
Originally Posted by Salmonella
There are lots of mega millionaires in the world but most successful ones worked up to it slowly, learning how to handle large bank accounts as they went. Big lottery winners rarely have the necessary experience to deal with that kind of money and it's sometimes disastrous. The smart ones will hire some kind of money manager to help them along but from what I've seen, most aren't that smart. Qbouite a few of them are broke within 5 to 10 years.

My first stop would be to a financial counselor.

His name would be Warren Buffet.
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Dude, if I had that kind of money, I'd be wanting to move OUT of Vernon, TX, not into.
Posted By: mathman Re: If you won mega millions. - 10/23/18
If I won that big of a jackpot the net cash would be enough to not need managing, just securing. Spending six million a year would only go through 300 million in fifty years, and I'm not going to live that long.
Posted By: ringworm Re: If you won mega millions. - 10/23/18
I would disappear like Cosby on parole.
Originally Posted by mathman
If I won that big of a jackpot the net cash would be enough to not need managing, just securing. Spending six million a year would only go through 300 million in fifty years, and I'm not going to live that long.
It wouldn't take much more energy to manage than to secure. Either or both would take some doing though.
Originally Posted by mathman

You're resourceful, find a way to spend 18 million each year... wink
Posted By: Redneck Re: If you won mega millions. - 10/23/18
I wonder if an ex-Seal team would be excited to get a couple mil to exterminate that pos Soros?
In a more serious note, there would be a lot of college scholarships suddenly available, probably in the nursing field since that's what my mother was although I might spread that out to some of the solid science fields like biology or physics or related areas.

Got enough toys although a couple of new vehicles would be useful, land is nice but too much land would just be worrisome trying to keep trespassers off. As I get older and don't like too much cold anymore I'd just get a winter place maybe in the Texas hill country (maybe, would have to scout it out some) and a summer place in N. Idaho where there are more trees and it's a bit cooler than the high desert hereabouts. Enough land to build my own 1000 or 1200 yard range in each locale and I'd be good.

That would take care of 50 mill, 75 maybe, if I was extravagant. Not sure what to do with the other $550,000,000 or whatever is left.

Posted By: slumlord Re: If you won mega millions. - 10/23/18
[Linked Image]
Buy a ranch? Dang that sounds like work. I would buy my own private outfitter service and have them take me hunting all over the world 12 months a year. When I was tired of hunting I would fish. That kind of jack damg if I would tie myself down to one spot.
Seriously you would win you would have never worked harder in your life as you would trying to manage that money.
Originally Posted by Boarmaster123
Seriously you would win you would have never worked harder in your life as you would trying to manage that money.

My daughter works for a company that does a lot of business with Walmart and her first position was at their Bentonville, AR office servicing that account. While there on a visit we went thru the Walmart Museum. They had the Ford pickup Sam Walton used till the day he died. Basic old 1979 Ford 150 4WD with a 4 speed floor shift. Still had his shotgun in it. Word was he spent most of his time doing what he wanted to do and a lot of that was bird hunting. They also had his office recreated as it was when he died as well. It looked like he spent no more time there than absolutely necessary. It's all about delegating.

https://walmartmuseum.auth.cap-hosting.com/tour/exhibits/sams-truck/
Posted By: Calvin Re: If you won mega millions. - 10/23/18
Agreed, a ranch sounds like a lot of work.

A few things I'd do. Probably not tell the kids. I'd hate to ruin them. I'd want to build a state of the art gym facility. (nothing in my town). Get a handful of custom rifles built. Upgrade boats. Get really healthy and in shape and do a lot of public land hunting here in SE AK.

My wife loves where we live, and our house, so that wouldn't change. Probably have the deck redone. I'd still want to troll and guide as I love doing that. Probably just do less of it.
Posted By: 1minute Re: If you won mega millions. - 10/23/18
First I would cash the check, then come home, unwrap it all, and roll in it. What would I buy? Any damned thing I wanted to.
I’d buy 2-3 places with ample wild birds and public land.

Bird hunting and coyote hunting 6 months a year sounds pretty alright. Of course I’d go on an occasional big game hunt but I’d probably do that guided.
Here's what I'd do:

1. Hire goons to lobby Congress to allow two each F-105 and F-106 (A and B models) to be restored to full flight status. It's a crime there's not a Thud or a Dart airborne.

2. One hunnat million to a 501c3 (charity, therefore deductible) for Second Amendment "education."

3. Run for U.S. Senate from Montana. Until I win.

4. Hire a personal physician and trainer so I last long enough to spend some of it.

5. Invest the rest wisely.
70ft viking

[Linked Image]
I'd totally share it with you guys!
Keep on farming and ranching till it was all gone.
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Keep on farming and ranching till it was all gone.

Yeah...but think of the tax deduction!
Posted By: Raeford Re: If you won mega millions. - 10/23/18
Foiking amazing how many folk think they need a half a billion but not 5-10 million.
Should I win, I'll hope that there are several other winners[seriously].
lol sure there is truth in that. i would hunt and fish but would still have some work to keep me busy. oh and a huge bbq pit.
Invest half.

Buy a ranch in the west with the rest. Buy a private jet. Let me money work for me and never fly commercial.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: If you won mega millions. - 10/23/18
I'd give it all to Gunner.
Posted By: joken2 Re: If you won mega millions. - 10/23/18

With that much money undoubtedly my first real concern would be personal security for our kids, grand kids, my only living sibling (wife is an only child and both of our parents are deceased), and ourselves.

Also undoubtedly one of the toughest things to deal with would be the inevitable request from folks needing help with serious life threatening health issues and even more so if it's kids. I'd either have to have someone well qualified to screen and vet or else just deny them all which would probably be even tougher to live with.

As to how, on what and where I might want to go and do myself, at my age I'd have to give some serious realist thought to.
I'd take the lump sum, give $425M to the orphanage I was in as a kid (with strings) and give the other $425M to Warren Buffett to invest.

And cause trouble with the rest.
Buy a big pice of land and then this .....

Posted By: deflave Re: If you won mega millions. - 10/23/18
First thing I'd do is have a portrait painted of myself.

I've always wanted one of those.
WHORES different one everyday
'FlaveHeart
[Linked Image]
Posted By: sawbuck Re: If you won mega millions. - 10/23/18
I'd check to see if I could afford fast shipping at Midway USA.
Posted By: deflave Re: If you won mega millions. - 10/23/18
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
'FlaveHeart
[Linked Image]

Can't do the bow thing.

50 BMG would be number two on the list by the way.

Light armored vehicle to mount it on would be number three.

After that, I'd probably just buy something stupid/impractical.
Originally Posted by stxhunter
70ft viking

[Linked Image]

You can get some good buys along the FL gulf coast right now.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: hanco Re: If you won mega millions. - 10/23/18
I could take a few days off.
Give the wife a new credit card and say "buy yourself something nice." After a few days you won't have enough left to need a financial councilor.
My kids are in school, that's problematic.
Alabama has a lot of 1000+ acre properties for sale.
One would probably be mine.
The west seems to be changing, at least in the places I like best.
Al, and Mississippi have appeal, AR and OK, also have appeal.

If I could find the right place, I have never found anything I like better than the Rockies.

But, and she is a big but.

Alaska would get to meet me, and she might get stuck with me.
Posted By: Mathsr Re: If you won mega millions. - 10/23/18
I don't want to buy the ranch. I just want to be able to hunt where ever in the world I want to. I'm thinking a few different countries each year. The rest of the time I'd spend on my boat. With a few hundred million, I could manage to do that pretty well. At least it would be fun trying.
I'd find out what it takes to get fired from my job.
Job would have to call me to find out I quit! If I had a job. Which I do not! Life is good already!
I'd pay someone to shoot George Soros. And maybe some other...

Funny, I would have thought posting that would be a felony in your jurisdiction.

Which is why I haven't quoted (in case you want to delete).
Posted By: Sauer200 Re: If you won mega millions. - 10/23/18
I'd buy a third vehicle that would be good on gas.
The two SUVs that we drive now are killing us.
Posted By: lvmiker Re: If you won mega millions. - 10/23/18
Well since the OP was about ranches/property for hunting I would find a large parcel that ascends from sage to alpine and contains wolves and Griz as well as the more mundane fauna. Near the entrance I would build a village and populate it w/ family, wounded warriors and disabled vets who would also be my guard force. I
would hire a couple of contrary science guys to assist in returning the environment to as close to natural as possible while containing my access trails. I would try to hire Huntsman to build me a shooting range. Add a large gym w/ a view of my mountains and I would probably never leave.

If I couldn't afford that I would try to rent a plot of property from Jim Conrad to park a trailer near one of those roads to the CMR, and buy a snow machine.

mike r
Alaska for $7 million in 1867. LOL

Even inflated it's ONLY worth $120 million now! Whatcha do with the rest?
I'd buy the Campfire from Rick and make JeffO the moderator.
Pay off the house and school loans on day one.

New truck, new Jeep, and new motorcycle on day two.

Then start learning how to manage that much money.

-Jake
Posted By: Pat85 Re: If you won mega millions. - 10/23/18
First thing I would do is LLC every aspect of my life.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: If you won mega millions. - 10/23/18
No one says they would spend it all on more tickets.
Posted By: rem141r Re: If you won mega millions. - 10/23/18
i'd buy a whole new set of friends and make them do stupid schit for the privilege of being my friend. that and whores, coke, ferraris and lots of full auto guns.
One would have to move at a bare minimum. I'd leave the country for a few months and let the dust settle.
Originally Posted by Steelhead
One would have to move at a bare minimum. I'd leave the country for a few months and let the dust settle.

I think it's probably going to take more than a few months,......but I get your point.
Posted By: NYH1 Re: If you won mega millions. - 10/23/18
I give half to cancer research. I'd buy my dad a '67 SS396 Chevelle like the one he had when he got back from Vietnam. I'd get my mom a matching one because she always used to drive his. Get my MIL a nice place to live with no worries, she's awesome. Set up trust funds for my kids. Buy a lot of land in a free state, central/northern Arizona sound about right. Hopefully live happily ever after with my wife.

NYH1.
Posted By: 284LUVR Re: If you won mega millions. - 10/23/18
1/3 to my wife.

1/3 in the bank

Spend the rest like a drunken swabbie .
I might just keep working.

That would pass my coworkers off so bad.
And keep driving my 95 Subaru.
And then bitch about how it leaks oil and needs new tires, and tires will cost $200!
Originally Posted by kaywoodie

"Biscuits & Whores"

I'd want to visit just for breakfast...🤣

I’ll even have your jelly of choice! 😉
Number one, tax attorney. Shut off the phone and get a burner. Go into seclusion with a big note pad. Figure out priorities as to family and some select close friends. Give my ex the house she wanted when we divorced and enough money to renovate it. Get a large ranch locally and put my family in nice ranch homes. The bulk of my hunting and fishing would be guided. Build a big shop for cars and a machine shop to build my own guns.
Posted By: 16penny Re: If you won mega millions. - 10/24/18
nuclear submarine
Posted By: BOWHUNR Re: If you won mega millions. - 10/24/18
The way things are right now I'd buy Zimbabwe and kick all of the corrupt blacks out and bring all of the white farmers back, giving back the land that was stolen from them. Talk about a hunting paradise. That would be it IMO.

Mike

Put a lot of smiles on peoples faces that have not smiled in years. GW
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by lvmiker
Well since the OP was about ranches/property for hunting I would find a large parcel that ascends from sage to alpine and contains wolves and Griz as well as the more mundane fauna. Near the entrance I would build a village and populate it w/ family, wounded warriors and disabled vets who would also be my guard force. I
would hire a couple of contrary science guys to assist in returning the environment to as close to natural as possible while containing my access trails. I would try to hire Huntsman to build me a shooting range. Add a large gym w/ a view of my mountains and I would probably never leave.

If I couldn't afford that I would try to rent a plot of property from Jim Conrad to park a trailer near one of those roads to the CMR, and buy a snow machine.

mike r

I am sure we could come to terms on that.
Posted By: deflave Re: If you won mega millions. - 10/24/18
As I purchased another case of Jai Alai this evening I gazed upon the 20+ in line at the front checkout and thought 'Just think, regardless of accomplishment, we'll all be losers at the same time for one brief moment.'

Except me of course. I don't play that stupid schit.
I figure most people take about 10 years to get to know really well. So, anyone that comes after the lottery is going to have to pay their dues before they see a dime of it. 10 years hangin around me ain't an easy task.
Originally Posted by deflave
As I purchased another case of Jai Alai this evening I gazed upon the 20+ in line at the front checkout and thought 'Just think, regardless of accomplishment, we'll all be losers at the same time for one brief moment.'

Uhhhh....isn't that the gave you play with the silly curved football bat??
Posted By: wabigoon Re: If you won mega millions. - 10/24/18
I'm jerk enough without a lot of money.
Posted By: kennyd Re: If you won mega millions. - 10/24/18
my own steam locomotive and a railroad to run it on. And a square rigger ship. I am sure no train buff or "captain" would take advantage of my ignorance.

I would have a fully restored 98 F150. I could probably afford to quit reloading.

Hehehehe! He said football bat! 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Yeah. The casinos have it here. It's awesome.
It would be so cool to be able to take care of my family for the rest of their lives. Not a one of us makes big money, so it would be a true blessing to make life better for them.
I'd buy a piece of ground in Sullivan county PA.
I’d buy a high fence ranch and raise coyotes.
Posted By: Talenel Re: If you won mega millions. - 10/24/18
I'd get disappeared.....
I'd buy a new single wide, throw a new corvette body on a 4x4 chassis with a big confederate flag painted on the hood, and bring mullets back into style along with sleeveless flannel shirts.
If you do that can I have your old single wide??
If you do that can I have your old single wide??

Sure, it even still has the original shag carpet from 1975 in it. Things like new.
I’d buy my grandma’ Ranch in Etna WY. Plus a lot of other places.

Funny, I would have thought posting that would be a felony in your jurisdiction.

Hey, we're just thinking out loud here.
Originally Posted by OutlawPatriot

And who's to say I didn't mean with one of those super soaker water rifle things?

And who's to say I didn't mean with one of those super soaker water rifle things?

Filled with sulfuric acid.
Posted By: 222ND Re: If you won mega millions. - 10/24/18
I’d split it evenly with fellow campfire members. 🤥
Posted By: skeen Re: If you won mega millions. - 10/24/18
Give the wife a new credit card and say "buy yourself something nice." After a few days you won't have enough left to need a financial councilor.

laugh Yeah, my wife could put a dent in it pretty quickly. wink
Posted By: Higginez Re: If you won mega millions. - 10/24/18
I'd love to have a place to hunt ducks, pheasant, coyotes, deer and squirrels up in Tule Lake.

Maybe one in Stonyford too.
My tickets were duds!
Someone in my city matched 5/6 and wins a Million tonight.

I love Wyoming for it's lack of people and conservative politics, but I'd buy where the trophy muley hunting was without compare.
Not exactly sure...

What say you?

Sounds like you'd enjoy the Sonoran desert in Mexico.
Posted By: 79S Re: If you won mega millions. - 10/24/18
We do not have the lottery up here in Alaska.. just pull tabs( have no idea wtf that is) and Bingo..
Posted By: Seafire Re: If you won mega millions. - 10/24/18
I'd probably have my 1988 4 Runner restored...
Single winner in South Carolina

Black dude.

Gonna buy a farm next to Lil' James.
Posted By: slumlord Re: If you won mega millions. - 10/24/18
Originally Posted by 222ND

Sweet!!

I have 11 sock puppets
Posted By: JSTUART Re: If you won mega millions. - 10/24/18
Originally Posted by slumlord
Originally Posted by 222ND

Sweet!!

I have 11 sock puppets

I believe you.
Originally Posted by Seafire
I'd probably have my 1988 4 Runner restored...

i'll buy a 4runner for every camp. member.
Posted By: ringworm Re: If you won mega millions. - 10/24/18
I won $200
The winners are 30 miles from here.
Posted By: slumlord Re: If you won mega millions. - 10/24/18
Originally Posted by ringworm
I won $200
The winners are 30 miles from here.

Yall kin or somethin?

[Linked Image]
#1- I'd buy ND and make him build me things.
#2- 200'x400' metal fab shop that is fully loaded including about six of my close friends who will get paid very well to be my minions.
#3- Buy a large heavy equipment dealership along with employees and build a lake on some of my property.
#4- Buy a large resort on our nearby lake and let everyone who isn't a jackwagon use it for free. That will teach them gouging SOB's.

The rest I'd just waste.
Posted By: ringworm Re: If you won mega millions. - 10/25/18
I wish....
Posted By: viking Re: If you won mega millions. - 10/25/18
I would put ol flave on talk radio. Lol. Beer thirty with flave (morning slot).
Originally Posted by Mike74
I'd buy a piece of ground in Sullivan county PA.

Anywhere in Penn's Woods is truly God's Country.
Posted By: deflave Re: If you won mega millions. - 10/25/18
God must have a wicked sense of humor.
Posted By: JSTUART Re: If you won mega millions. - 10/25/18

Tell the truth I am just pleased that someone out there gets to live the dream.
© 24hourcampfire