Home
I just came home from my company retirement party. They presented me with a small tin box form Cabelas. Inside was a picture of a Winchester style lever action rifle and a gift card for $1000 from Cabelas. They flew up to Oklahoma City (where is my office) from Houston (the headquarters) so they said they couldn't actually bring a rifle up with them on the plane.

So now, I am trying to think about what I should buy from Cabelas. I already have every rifle I could ever want and then some. I am thinking more along the lines of a nice over and under or side by side. Maybe I could throw a few more bills at it as need be.

What suggestions has the "Campfire?"
That's easy, a Beretta silver pigeon. But, I'm easy as well.

kwg
Winchester Model 70 Featherweight in 6.5 Creedmoor.

Congrats on your retirement!
Are their kayaks and canoes on sale yet?
Congratulations on the beginning of the next chapter of your life! Use that 1K as a down payment on some high-end optics: Leica/S&B/Swarovski/Leupold
Timing is great. Cabela's holiday flyer should be coming out in the next couple weeks.
If you don't have a good power meat grinder, a 1hp Cabelas grinder is something to behold. I used to use a little Oester, could take me hours to grind. With that 1HP, 20-30 minutes. Then I grind again for a better mix. Awesome grinder.

Good pair of boots?

Smoker?

Fishing gear?

Money to high end optics?

Money to a special gun?

Ammunition?
Thanks for all the suggestions. Keep 'em coming.
Trade it for the money??
OrangeOkie: I am in my 21st full year of retirement and I just want to wish you a happy and long retirement for yourself!
The outfit (city) I worked for opened the door and kicked me in the ass on my last day after 29 years of service!
They did allow me to purchase 2 of the three handguns I had checked out in my name for $60.00 apiece (a mint unfired Smith & Wesson Model 66 and a mint unfired Smith & Wesson Model 60).
My co-workers had a nice going away party for me though.
Good for you on the grand retirement gift - personally I would buy a Remington 700 VLS in a Varmint caliber and top it with a Leupold variable power scope - no matter how many Rifles you already have another Varmint Rifle will come in handy.
Again enjoy your retirement.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
I have a large selection of alpha binoculars, and that would be a cool keep sake.
Congratulations.
Originally Posted by kwg020

kwg

+1
Congrats on your retirement....... I've been retired 2.5 years now. If you have every rifle you'd ever want and "then some"; perhaps some in the "then some" category could be sold and you could browse the gun selection at Cabela's. I've purchased more guns in 2.5 years of retirement than in the last 15 or 20 years of working. Including a Browning Citori that I got as a retirement present to myself and my buddies .257 Weatherby Vanguard that I was lusting after. But I also have a rifle for sale on consignment at a friend's gun shop and have decided to "thin out" a few more just because I need room in the safes. That way if I find another gun I can't live without there will be room for it here. Have a happy retirement and enjoy yourself !
Originally Posted by seattlesetters

Doubt any collection is too big to add one of those to it. Maybe a trip through the Gun Library would turn up something classy. (Doesn't hurt to look at the used guns online also - they can ship store to store for you)

Congrats.
Originally Posted by centershot

Doubt any collection is too big to add one of those to it. Maybe a trip through the Gun Library would turn up something classy. (Doesn't hurt to look at the used guns online also - they can ship store to store for you)

Congrats.

Cabala's gun libraries are history.
I just bought a gun from them not long ago. Are they closing the gun libraries down?
Originally Posted by hanco
I just bought a gun from them not long ago. Are they closing the gun libraries down?

Seems to be the case. I've been in two stores. Libraries are full of new guns an a very few used ones. Used racks are getting smaller. I don't think you can get the library on line from Cabela's webpage any more either. Sad.
Do you fly fish or want to? A nice Sage rod, reel, line, and backing will pretty well use up $1000.

Tom
I would buy every single piece of Cabelas Outfitter and Octane I could before its all gone.
How about a Mauser Model 18? They are new, so you probably dont have one.......yet.
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
I just came home from my company retirement party. They presented me with a small tin box form Cabelas..

So now, I am trying to think about what I should buy from Cabelas. I already have every rifle I could ever want and then some. I am thinking more along the lines of a nice over and under or side by side. Maybe I could throw a few more bills at it as need be.

What suggestions has the "Campfire?"

Congratulations on your retirement. What ever you decide to buy, you better do it soon. Every time I look at my Wish List another item (or 3) has been discontinued. I was looking on their website today for hunting pants and the pickin's are pretty slim.
I just got online, plenty of used guns.
Originally Posted by hanco
I just got online, plenty of used guns.

didn't work for me last week. I'll try again. Thanks.
Yup, it works for me today. Thanks again.
I gotten several good deals from them, a Kleinguenther K-15 for 400.00, another engraved K-15 for 1400.00, an Iver Henriksen rifle for 600.00, and nice pre 64 model 70 for 800.00. Sometimes the people they have pricing the rifles don’t know what they are doing. Sometimes they are way overpriced.
Sounds like you’re set on gear... perhaps you could put the funds towards one of their hunting or fishing trips?
Thanks to everyone for spending some time on this thread. I appreciate the well wishes and the suggestions. I was thinking used shotguns out of the library. Those Beretta's Silver Pigeons are nice, but they start around a couple of grands. I'm more than set with all my fishing gear. I have dozens of beautiful bamboo and graphite fly rods and reels, when I went on a collecting splurge. Same with bait casting, spinning and salt water. My wife keeps getting on me to clean out my man cave upstairs with all the "loot." My knife collection is overflowing, (many came from Cabelas over the years) and I just ask my wife about the electric meat grinder, but she is happy with her hand crank model. I only have a couple of really nice SXS shotguns (12 and 20ga) an 870 (28ga) and my dad's old 16ga Stevens. But I just gave my only O/U to my son, so I might be in the market for a nice 28 or 16ga)
With some of the gun prices I've seen there, I'd say get a used .22 single shot. Man!...... You must have done some great work in your career to warrant that retirement gift! When I retired from the US Government, all I got was a plaque, a flag from the Capital (which was cool), and a cheap Chinese clock! I did get a nice gift from my co-workers, but not 1000 bucks! To tell you the truth, I didn't want anything from the Government but a monthly check! Retirement's great, but it takes a while to adjust to doing your own thing! I used to jump awake at 5:00 am thinking I was late for work......going back to sleep was sweet though!
I think I'm really liking this Franchi 20ga . . . price is right too!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Are you a Cabela's club member? If so I think they are having an "invitation only" event this Sunday evening. Most of items will be on 10% off sale and on firearms purchase you will get 2X club points. Might as well get the most bang for your buck.

Regards,
What to buy from Cabelas with $1000?

From what I've seen of their prices lately, probably one coat.
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Timing is great. Cabela's holiday flyer should be coming out in the next couple weeks.

Their Black Friday Ad is already out, and it sucks as it's a BPS/Cabelas Black Friday Ad. Good thing I'm out of country and the wife doesn't need to buy me a gift from there this year. smile
Originally Posted by yhc
Are you a Cabela's club member? If so I think they are having an "invitation only" event this Sunday evening. Most of items will be on 10% off sale and on firearms purchase you will get 2X club points. Might as well get the most bang for your buck.

Regards,

Yes, excellent. I Just saw that the Oklahoma City Store has a sweet little Dickinson 28ga SXS. I think I'm going down there to take a look.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by LeroyBeans
Originally Posted by centershot

Congrats.

Cabala's gun libraries are history.

Really? Then there really is no reason to go into one of there stores again..............
Originally Posted by Hudge
Originally Posted by local_dirt

Their Black Friday Ad is already out, and it sucks as it's a BPS/Cabelas Black Friday Ad. Good thing I'm out of country and the wife doesn't need to buy me a gift from there this year. smile

That's a shame, and tells me that BPS f'd it up.

As close as I live to a big Basspro, I don't buy a lot there. Mostly because of their prices. Would have to be a huge sale for me to buy a gun there.
Since they don't sell booze or hookers, you might as well buy that 28 gauge SxS
That's the way I'm leaning Fireball. Or there is a nice Uberti model 73 Winchester in .45 Colt on there too. I'd get more use out of the shotgun though. I've already got a model 92.
I left my 28 gauge SxS home yesterday and thought I'd do some stunt shooting with the .410 for grouse. Came home empty handed! Never miss with the 28!

marshmallow circus peanuts
red liquorice
jack links jerky
few packs of roostertails
some louana peanut oil

fuggit
I’m with the gun library crowd. I had 2 shipped in there last month. At the most it would cost $25 each to check them out. One place didn’t even charge me. They also dropped $150 off the one I bought.
And congratulations!
Congrats on the retirement!

Any grandkids? Maybe a new/first rifle for each, depending on age and number of kiddos. Something to that they'll always cherish from grandfather.

Do you reload? If not, maybe buy what you need and teach all the young'uns in your clan and reload together.

Don't buy some throw-away electronics or consumer goods.... Get something that will create some memotier with family!
Originally Posted by ELKiller
Sounds like you’re set on gear... perhaps you could put the funds towards one of their hunting or fishing trips?

That's a darn good idea......most folks are flush with gear by the time they reach retirement.
Thanks for all the ideas. Have six grand kids and have them all taken care of with .22's and center fires. The only thing I am short of is an over and under shotgun. I am really leaning toward a .28ga o/u. Appreciate the congrats on retirement. Tomorrow is my last day, and it is actually kind of sad for me . . . I'll miss my co-workers, but they are all so much younger than me. Time rolls on . . .
Well just pulled the trigger on this set (.410 and .28ga Dickinson SBS. Figured this would be perfect to teach my grand kids how to shoot skeet. Picked it up for less than a single 28ga O/U

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by kwg020

kwg

That’s what I’d do. They cost about $2 grand. But try the Browning over understand and pick which ever fits you.
Congratulations!

Well just pulled the trigger on this set (.410 and .28ga Dickinson SBS. Figured this would be perfect to teach my grand kids how to shoot skeet. Picked it up for less than a single 28ga O/U

[Linked Image]
Well, since you asked...I just closed my Bass Pro card (now Cabelas) and just today purchased a LEM grinder/tenderizer with accessories. Don't need any of their guns, but did add a few flannel shirts to the cart
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Is that a .410 or a 28? Looks like a fairy wand. But it is fun to shoot.

The 73 is beautiful.
Yes on the shotgun. Two barrel set. Very light. The 28 comes with three different choke tubes, and snap caps for both set of barrels. The.410 will be my go-to cotton tail gun.

The curly maple tiger stripe sets off the dark steel on the 73. I am very happy with both.
Very nice. Congratulations.
© 24hourcampfire