Home
Posted By: broomd Toyotas? - 11/17/18
Was thinking very seriously of looking for a newer Tundra, damned if I could do it. Just can't justify the price or mileage.
Enjoy my 23 y/o T100 SR5 too much. Mine got one of it's twice-a-year baths today.

It's been awhile...let's see some of the 'Fire members Toyotas out there...share 'em if you got 'em...

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: fester Re: Older Toyotas? - 11/17/18
Ahhhh, my bud lost his built ‘85 4 runner...... street legal, rock crawler. Straight axles, weld jobs, bilstiens. It was
bad ass ........anyway........
Posted By: ironbender Re: Older Toyotas? - 11/17/18
1995, gen 1, 2wd Taco. Daily driver.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by ironbender

[Linked Image]

22-re?
Imho, the 22re is easy to fix. Simple, tough engine.

If you want a woods rig, make sure it has a 22re.....
Posted By: broomd Re: Older Toyotas? - 11/17/18
2.4 or the 2.7 were the 4-bangers in the early taco I believe...22re was gone in '95.
Stay away from the 3 point slow(3.0) head gasket nightmare
Posted By: ironbender Re: Older Toyotas? - 11/17/18
Mine is the 2.4 4 cyl. Not a 22re, but a great little motor.

Looked it up; it's called 2RZ-FE.
Posted By: 284LUVR Re: Older Toyotas? - 11/17/18
Originally Posted by ironbender

[Linked Image]

Diggin' the front tow hitch. Put a ball in the center and put a trailer in a parking spot E Z Peazy smile
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: Older Toyotas? - 11/17/18
I don't know if 16yo qualifies as older but I sure do love my 02 Taco....150k...just broke in.

[Linked Image]
Very nice, Charlie. Who's yer co pilot?
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: Older Toyotas? - 11/17/18
That's Sophie......that pic is about 5-6 years old.....she's now 15 and going down hill pretty fast. frown

[Linked Image]
smile smile smile
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: Older Toyotas? - 11/17/18
Mine isn’t that old either but I’m gonna keep it until it turns 300k. It’s at 56k now... 2011 Rock Warrior. Great hunting rig 😎

[Linked Image]
Posted By: broomd Re: Older Toyotas? - 11/17/18
No worries, I revised the thread...any Toy will work. smile And good dogs too....
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: Older Toyotas? - 11/17/18
Thanks...Here’s my good dog that loves his Toyota truck 😎

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Seven_Heaven Re: Older Toyotas? - 11/17/18
My first Toyota. Bought her new in 2014 and she's all mine.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: KFWA Re: Toyotas? - 11/17/18
91 - 165Kish miles, A/C still works.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Toyotas? - 11/17/18
Originally Posted by fester
Ahhhh, my bud lost his built ‘85 4 runner...... street legal, rock crawler. Straight axles, weld jobs, bilstiens. It was
bad ass ........anyway........

Where did he lose it?
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Toyotas? - 11/17/18
have two Tacoma's here.......'05 DCSB TURD w/auto 167K miles....

'14 DCSB SR5 6 sp MT...78K miles.......

wife drives the '05....mine the '14....both good dependable trucks

do not tow with either......big 2500HD Chev for that

pic is '14

[Linked Image]
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Toyotas? - 11/17/18
I drive a Highlander and the wife has a Lexus. Does that count?
Posted By: gremcat Re: Toyotas? - 11/17/18
I had a 93 3.0 the Dealer did head gasket on for my Mom who bought it new. Brother and I passed it back and forth until finally I rolled in 2004 with 250k hard hard miles on it. He is a Concrete Mason and death on everything. For my part I took it chasing native Brookies in the NE on logging tracks you wouldn’t think were passable. Still after rolling it turned out not to be dead. Towing it to a Buddy’s parts yard his grandson turned it over and it popped. They cut roof off and used it to haul firewood out (30 cord or more a year) anywhere that their quads couldn’t reach. When I rolled it we welded leaf springs together to pass inspection and rear had rot hole weJB Welded. Heard the frameor something finally broke.

Had a Tundra 3.4 2wd in the south I bought for 5k, put 250k on. Once drove it without transmission fluid on highway 40 minutes until it stopped shifting. That was at 90kish. Filled it up and when I sold it at almost 300k for $5k it still shifted smooth.

Wife has an 01 Sienna 3.0 that’s still like new with 90k.

Next to not such great purchases 89.5 (3 mos model hard to find parts) 4Runner. 8k or so in rebuild parts then 3.0 blew HG and I was commuting 5 hours in it.

Lexus GS (06 I think) for my Son recently from stated largest Lexus dealer. Burns a qt every 1k miles (in spec apparently), alternator went 3k miles after purchase ($600, dealer had to install as I wasn’t yanking motor mounts in my driveway), headlight filled with water($1200 replaced myself), dealer installed a directional tire backwards creating bad road noise when it wore. I hadn’t noticed at first, now drivetrain making odd noise, and this is Japanese Vin #, oil consumption alone makes me swear off Lexus.
Posted By: gremcat Re: Toyotas? - 11/17/18
22RE is popular but I contend the 3.4 is bulletproof from what I can tell.
Posted By: Rancho_Loco Re: Toyotas? - 11/17/18
Our sixth Toyota - 2016 TRD Pro. Only one out of six didn't make the grade, wifey's Legsus RX350. She got it stuck in a snow drift and got mad. I had to trade it in for a XC60 T6.

[Linked Image]

The boy's 98 Taco is on the left. 4 banger with a 5sp. That truck will go anywhere and is more fun to drive than just about anything I've sat in. It's impossible to drive without a huge grin on your face.

[Linked Image]

Posted By: Whttail_in_MT Re: Toyotas? - 11/17/18
He's alive! Welcome back, stranger.

Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
Our sixth Toyota - 2016 TRD Pro. Only one out of six didn't make the grade, wifey's Legsus RX350. She got it stuck in a snow drift and got mad. I had to trade it in for a XC60 T6.

[Linked Image]

The boy's 98 Taco is on the left. 4 banger with a 5sp. That truck will go anywhere and is more fun to drive than just about anything I've sat in. It's impossible to drive without a huge grin on your face.

[Linked Image]

Posted By: Sauer200 Re: Toyotas? - 11/17/18
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
He's alive! Welcome back, stranger.

Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Can Safariman be far behind? They were best buddies! whistle

Nice older Toyota. I'm sorry that I passed on a few nice ones.
Posted By: Dutch Re: Toyotas? - 11/17/18
I put 330K miles on a '97 with the 2.4 engine. Started using a little oil at 225K, that went away with using high mileage oil. Absolutely LOVED that little truck. Have a 2009 with 200K on it -- don't like it at all. Crappy transmission, floats like a boat. One of the guys on the farm has a Tundra with 285K on it, and the starter just died. Apparently, that's a $800 job in the shop? Rented a Tundra a couple of months ago and drove it for almost 2,000 miles, half of it loaded. The redhead hated it so much, she told me in no uncertain terms there was to be NO more Tundra's in our future. Just rambling, but I guess it comes down to the reliability of Toyota's only goes so far to make up for some of the ergonomic issues the later ones have.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Toyotas? - 11/17/18
Rancho! Hah!
Posted By: Old_Toot Re: Toyotas? - 11/17/18
Can’t kill’um with a shot gun. My 2018 Tundra was bought in March and now has 27k miles on it and I’m really enjoying this truck.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Toyotas? - 11/17/18
Shot angle, Denny. Thats what held the air dam on before i hit a dog years ago.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Toyotas? - 11/17/18
We also have an 01 Sienna, with 250K miles. My taco above has right at 200K. Vienna miles are ours. Taco bought used. About 45K are mine.
Posted By: Gus Re: Toyotas? - 11/17/18
my '94 mini-truck, the last year before tacoma was introduced had 5 speed and 4 banger. very good truck.

my '03 tundra which replaced it is a 6 cyl auto, and much easier to drive but maybe not as much fun.

i had the mini-truck in some really rough places, 2nd gear for miles and miles and miles.
Posted By: WyColoCowboy Re: Older Toyotas? - 11/17/18
I had a T100 and put 200K on it. I bought a rare Tundra 4x4 with the same 3.4L V6 and put 250K on it. Now I have a 5.7L Tundra. I've loved all three. That T100 of yours in a PEACH. If you don't need the space or towing, never give it up.
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Older Toyotas? - 11/17/18
My grocery getter is a '12 Corolla....

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Santiam Re: Older Toyotas? - 11/17/18
We have his and hers Toyotas..Mine is a 96 T-100 that I bought new back in the day...Mostly just use it for hunting now...390,000 trouble free miles and still runs strong..

[Linked Image]

The wife's is a 90 and is her daily driver...It has been refitted with a 3400 out of a 97, T-100 and I tell you it REALLY scoots... smile

[Linked Image]
Posted By: irfubar Re: Toyotas? - 11/17/18
My hunting buggy

[Linked Image]
Posted By: fortymile Re: Toyotas? - 11/17/18
[Linked Image] My 97 T100, 210,000 miles, 5 speed.
Posted By: woodson Re: Toyotas? - 11/17/18
I would love to buy a new Tundra but the cost is just insane. Even the used market is silly. The depreciation curve on these things sure isn’t a curve, more linear.
Posted By: javman Re: Toyotas? - 11/17/18
My ‘07 4Runner

[Linked Image]
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Toyotas? - 11/17/18
For the most part these pickups are way too clean......
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Toyotas? - 11/17/18
C'mon guys quit sand baggin'........

I wanna see the 'fully loaded' with bags of mulch from Home Depot parking lot pics.......

(just kidding now.....be nice!)
Posted By: Cariboujack Re: Toyotas? - 11/17/18
I don't know how to do pictures but mine is a 2012 4 door Tundra 3.0 with 121k miles on it. Love it. Nice truck. Has a topper and is standard silver, with 4WD, TRD.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Toyotas? - 11/18/18
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
I don't know how to do pictures but mine is a 2012 4 door Tundra 3.0 with 121k miles on it. Love it. Nice truck. Has a topper and is standard silver, with 4WD, TRD.

Oh c’mon Marlin. Step up to 2001!
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: Toyotas? - 11/18/18
Originally Posted by woodson
I would love to buy a new Tundra but the cost is just insane. Even the used market is silly. The depreciation curve on these things sure isn’t a curve, more linear.

expensive compared to a Ford,Chevy or Dodge? They do not have the markup of the other 3 for sure but I paid a few k less for my tundra then I did for the POS f150 that was bought back from Ford.
Posted By: Kodiakisland Re: Older Toyotas? - 11/18/18

one of the best pics I think I've ever taken

[Linked Image]

Same trip

[Linked Image]
Posted By: KFWA Re: Older Toyotas? - 11/18/18
Originally Posted by Santiam
We have his and hers Toyotas..Mine is a 96 T-100 that I bought new back in the day...Mostly just use it for hunting now...390,000 trouble free miles and still runs strong..

[Linked Image]

The wife's is a 90 and is her daily driver...It has been refitted with a 3400 out of a 97, T-100 and I tell you it REALLY scoots... smile

[Linked Image]

I was going to put a 3.4 from a 98 T-100 into mine. Got to the part where I was going to have to pay serious money for a wiring harness and decided my 3.0 was running just fine
Posted By: jackmountain Re: Toyotas? - 11/18/18
2003, 156,000 miles. Had it since 08. Drive a crew cab utility truck every day so nothing better than jumping in a little truck to run around in.
Full OME suspension. ARB with a 12,000 winch 235/85-16 BFG KO2's

[Linked Image]
Posted By: nemotheangler Re: Toyotas? - 11/18/18
Reminder to myself to post my pics...2003 Taco, 2004 4Runner, my 5th and 6th Toyotas.
Posted By: baldhunter Re: Toyotas? - 11/18/18
My 2002 Tundra V-8 has been the most trouble free vehicle I have ever owned.I must say,the quality that went into all the parts far exceeds my expectations.After driving it nearly seventeen years,it is still a very dependable,good driving truck.I have 206,000 on it now.I could still probably get around $6,000 for it if I was to sell it.I'm not too sure if the newer Tundra are as good.If I decide to buy another,I would consider a 2002-2006 Tundra with a little lower mileage,one owner.No way would I buy new anymore.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: 30338 Re: Toyotas? - 11/18/18
Got the wife a new 4runner this year after 225,000 miles on her last car. This one is going to get a upgraded roof rack, probably Frontrunner. Waiting on one of the local deer herd to step out and then will do a new front bumper too probably.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Terryk Re: Toyotas? - 11/18/18
2001 4wd SR5 with 4.7 auto. Probably my favorite truck. Great engine, and really a good size for hunting. Mine had the frame recall, so at that time I had a lot of other things replaced. It ran like new. I sold it to a farm boy as a first truck. I let him negotiate a good price, glad he has it.
Moved on to a 2018 4Runner, and it is great, but I like the Tundra better.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Timbermaster Re: Toyotas? - 11/18/18
[Linked Image]
Nice pic. What tires do you have on it?
Posted By: vbshootinrange Re: Toyotas? - 11/18/18

I'm not skilled at doing pictures.
'
I have an '04 Tacoma TRD that I bought with 18,000 miles on it, in '06

It now has 173,000 and going strong.

My Wife has a '97 4-Runner that we bought new. It now has 160,000 on it.

We drive my Tacoma way more than the 4-Runner.

Both are V6-5 speed

We put new front brakes on both rigs at about 150,000

I'm thinking these two will last us the rest of our lifetimes.

GREAT vehicles!

Virgil B.
Posted By: Brad Re: Toyotas? - 11/18/18
My 2014:

[Linked Image]
Posted By: shootbrownelk Re: Toyotas? - 11/18/18
I've got a 2007 Tundra SR5 4x4 4dr. 8ft. bed with 101,000 miles, it has the 5.7 I-Force V-8. Best truck I have ever owned. I put on 4 new cooper tires and did the brakes....that's it. The words, trouble-free come to mind.
Posted By: Timbermaster Re: Toyotas? - 11/18/18
Originally Posted by 30338
Nice pic. What tires do you have on it?

If you are referring to my post, those are siped Cooper Discoverers. They were good tires but I had a double blowout way back in the Ruby range this summer and replaced them with Falkens which I like better.
Thank you.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Toyotas? - 11/18/18
Originally Posted by SamOlson
C'mon guys quit sand baggin'........

I wanna see the 'fully loaded' with bags of mulch from Home Depot parking lot pics.......

(just kidding now.....be nice!)

Not mulch Sam, but loaded down with the ubiquitous "stuff" accumulated over the years including 7 years in E.WA, working away from where my wife was at the time. A man can gather in some "stuff" in 7 years without the wife saying "oh no you don't" grin . This is one of the trips down to our place in NorCal where I retired last summer. Truck probably has close to 1/2 ton on it including the weight of the rack (120 lb? )and the 100 lb boat (air bags are a big big help wink ) and the trailer has at least 500 lbs, likely closer to 750. Bullets, brass, dies, rifles, tools, etc add up quickly. I keep a truck box with about 60lbs and a tool box with another 50 in the back just for everyday stuff.

'01 Tacoma, 2.7L 4 cyl, 5 speed. right now, purchased with 110K on it in 2010, 247K miles on it and ready for another oil change (and analysis). Just put the winter treads (studded) on it Friday. Almost ready for another winter. Really needs it's once a year whether it needs it wash and wax as it missed the 2017 one due to the moving and all.

[Linked Image]

It made similar trips from Fresno to E.WA, Sacramento to E. WA, Portlandia to E. WA, twice a year every year I worked up there, pulling the grades past Mt Shasta, or up 395 outside John Day and Canyon City OR. Never a hitch.

My truck works, but it's almost retired to a few 2x4's and sheets of plywood for the 7 acre RANCH now.

Geno
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Toyotas? - 11/18/18
My wife's daily driver and the car we use for trips over the Cascades to Dr.s and stuff in S OR and Redding. 2017 RAV4, base model and it still has more stuff in it than I'd order if I could have. My wife likes that back up camera though! I still use mirrors. Purchased new so she'd have a dependable AWD car up here if I was in WA.

[Linked Image]

My daily driver now, since we bought the RAV 4. '04 Matrix, base model not the AWD one, therefor the need for the RAV 4. Might have bought another Matrix (Corolla running gear, different body) but the newer ones slope too much in the back to get our dog crate in. And this one is a 5 speed also and we made the concession to get an auto due to the need for old people parts replacement (hips and knees eek ). 206K miles, another one due for an oil change and analysis.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Toyotas? - 11/18/18
This is the truck I should have built years ago. 4.88's, 33" tires, 5" lift with OME rear springs, ARB air lockers front and rear, ARB bumper, still needs a winch, rear bumper, and a 3.4 motor with a supercharger when I get to it. .

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: ironbender Re: Toyotas? - 11/18/18
Sure seems to be a lot of maroon Toyotas.
Posted By: copperking81 Re: Toyotas? - 11/19/18
How do you guys with the newer Tundras like them? I'm seriously considering one but dubious about the brake actuated limited slip differentials. I'd rather have a true, mechanical LSD or full lock out option. Everything else on the truck is solid. Really wish Toyota didn't cheap out on that feature.
Posted By: Old_Toot Re: Toyotas? - 11/19/18
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
I don't know if 16yo qualifies as older but I sure do love my 02 Taco....150k...just broke in.

[Linked Image]

FG, tell us about that trailer, please. I like the looks of that and have a need. Any and all info on it would be appreciated. Thanks.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Toyotas? - 11/19/18
Thinking the same tootsie. wink
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Toyotas? - 11/19/18
Originally Posted by broomd
Was thinking very seriously of looking for a newer Tundra, damned if I could do it. Just can't justify the price or mileage.
Enjoy my 23 y/o T100 SR5 too much. Mine got one of it's twice-a-year baths today.

It's been awhile...let's see some of the 'Fire members Toyotas out there...share 'em if you got 'em...

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

My SIL had one of those.

I like that body style more than the new Tundras. Those IMO, are too bulky and big.

That one is more streamline and better looking.

Looks to be in great shape.

If it was mine, I'd just keep on driving it.

DF
Posted By: BountyHunter Re: Toyotas? - 11/19/18
toyota needs to revamp the tundra. 15 mpg does not cut it now. They ONLY have .391 rear ends and no 8 or 10 speed transmissions. Falling behind the power curve there.
Posted By: baldhunter Re: Toyotas? - 11/19/18
You know,my 2002 Tundra V-8 will get 24-25mpg if I'm on a steady highway trip.In town,more like 13-15mpg.
Posted By: 30338 Re: Toyotas? - 11/19/18
Originally Posted by copperking81
How do you guys with the newer Tundras like them? I'm seriously considering one but dubious about the brake actuated limited slip differentials. I'd rather have a true, mechanical LSD or full lock out option. Everything else on the truck is solid. Really wish Toyota didn't cheap out on that feature.

I like my 2015 a lot. I am annoyed that the gas mileage is not in the low 20s but I typically get 17 with non ethanol gas. Upside is there are no repair bills I guess.
Posted By: Mathsr Re: Toyotas? - 11/19/18
I have 6 years and 160K miles on my 2013 FJ and its still going strong. No expensive repairs to speak of and gets 19 to 20 around town and 22 on the highway. I wish the hatch in the back hinged from the top instead of from the side, but its no big thing. Still does what I want it to and goes where I want it to go.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: duck911 Re: Toyotas? - 11/19/18
My new 4Runner, born on date 10/27/18:

[Linked Image]
Posted By: broomd Re: Toyotas? - 11/19/18
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

My SIL had one of those.

I like that body style more than the new Tundras. Those IMO, are too bulky and big.

That one is more streamline and better looking.

Looks to be in great shape.

If it was mine, I'd just keep on driving it.

DF

Thanks, DF, agreed.
Mine has 215K, just did the water pump and timing belt. No drips, smoke or noise. She should be good to go to 300K..
I've had many T100's, first gen Tundras, and one later model Tundra. All great trucks, but always come back to the simplicity and mileage of the T100 series. The 3.4 is stovebolt reliable, and with a few suspension mods, a trans cooler and some airbags, the trucks will do much of what the big boys will do at a fraction of the expense and fuel.
Have had lots of different campers for them too, right now I've settled on the Starcraft Starblazer popup (that's a Palomino pictured). It extends to 6'7'' tall and it fits me. smile

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: ryoushi Re: Toyotas? - 11/19/18
2013 TRD Sport, longbed, just rolled past 85k. Been solid since day one and I can count on one hand the number of times I wished for a larger pickup.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: nemotheangler Re: Toyotas? - 11/19/18
Here is mine.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Dogslife57 Re: Toyotas? - 11/19/18
2012 tacoma with 150K, occasionally I would like a little more room but probably best truck I've had and the one I've kept for the most miles, will probably keep it about 2 more years before I consider getting rid of it, probably for another tacoma or maybe the tundra. We'll see what my liferstyle status is by then.
Posted By: sgt217 Re: Toyotas? - 11/19/18
07 FJ with 290K and a 2015 6 speed Manual Taco with 100K. The FJ has never let me down. The Taco is just getting broken in.
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Toyotas? - 11/19/18

here's one of my first ones......'89....bought it new it SLC UT...

last year of the 2 doors.......long story with this one..

From what I heard...still running around the streets of Snowflake AZ

[Linked Image]
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Toyotas? - 11/19/18
this one......prob the best 'Yota I ever had

'98 V6 5 speed 4x4 TURD...sold it last fall to buy my current '14

pd $10K in '06 used....sold for $6700 in 9/17 w/233K miles

yes oil filter is a PIA on the 3.4L......Use K&N with welded nut to aid in removal

[Linked Image]
Posted By: SDWhirlwind Re: Toyotas? - 11/19/18
Originally Posted by Terryk
2001 4wd SR5 with 4.7 auto. Probably my favorite truck. Great engine, and really a good size for hunting. Mine had the frame recall, so at that time I had a lot of other things replaced. It ran like new. I sold it to a farm boy as a first truck. I let him negotiate a good price, glad he has it.
Moved on to a 2018 4Runner, and it is great, but I like the Tundra better.

[Linked Image]

No pics of my '01 Tundra. Same as this but white. Bought it Mar of '12 with 66K on it. Now has 96K.Only driven winters now last 4 yrs. Absolutely love it. Rides way smoother than my '99 Chev 2WD I run around with during summers. Still miss the 03 Tacoma with 105K it replaced but way more comfortable and more power for longer trips for my crippled up over weight arse. The 3.0 in Tacoma and the 4.7 in the Tundra run within 1mpg+/- depending on roads,temp etc. The Tundra just more comfy.
Posted By: mudhen Re: Toyotas? - 11/19/18
Originally Posted by nemotheangler
Here is mine.

[Linked Image]

French Brittany? I would swear that is my dog!
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Toyotas? - 11/19/18
Here is mine.

[Linked Image]

2 nice 4 bys there.
Posted By: nemotheangler Re: Toyotas? - 11/20/18
Originally Posted by mudhen
Here is mine.

[Linked Image]

French Brittany? I would swear that is my dog!

You got it!
Posted By: nemotheangler Re: Toyotas? - 11/20/18
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Here is mine.

[Linked Image]

2 nice 4 bys there.

Thanks. I agree both are awesome.
Posted By: Salmonella Re: Toyotas? - 11/20/18
I have some old Codger friends that still won't buy anything Japanese after WW11.

I've had a couple of Toyotas...extremely reliable and durable.

That said I get that same durability and reliability from my Chevies....

Getting ready to buy my 10th Chevy/GM vehicle.
Posted By: fredIII Re: Toyotas? - 11/20/18
[Linked Image]
Posted By: FryeBaby Re: Toyotas? - 11/20/18
My 1987 Toyota 4X4 Truck has been the best vehicle I have ever owned. It has never let me down. I bought in in December of 1986 so it will be 32 years old next month. With all the Georgia red clay it has went through I would think it would be costing me a lot of money but it has been great. I have been offered crazy amount of money because it is still in good shape. A guy offered me 6 thousand in cash but the truck is like part of me so I couldn't sale it. It has around 200K miles on it. The other pictures is of my 2018 Tundra Limited 4X4 that I just bought. I love it already, it is a great truck. Toyota has taken care of me over the years too. I own Toyota cars and they have always taken care of issues for me at no charge.

[img]https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/galleries/13294609#Post13294609[/img]

Posted By: 16bore Re: Toyotas? - 11/20/18
My 2002 Taco got a black eye with a 5 pointer last night. 266K and its first scar. Dang it...

Damn deer got hit 3 more times while I was waiting for a cop to show up. Looked like a rolled up sausage at that point. Best vehicle I've ever had.
Posted By: 16bore Re: Toyotas? - 11/20/18
Oh.....and white sucks. Sorry Ferd....
Posted By: T_O_M Re: Toyotas? - 11/20/18
I don't have any pictures of mine. It's a 2014 Crew Cab Tacoma, 5' bed, 4wd, TRD offroad package. Mica Green or something like that. I had the dealership throw the "factory" roof rack on it and I've got a very small bolt in toolbox for road flares, tow strap, trailer hitch. Looks like tikkanut's truck on the first page minus the front bar, and dark green.

It's ok-ish most of the time. It has been more troublefree than it's predecessor, a similar '08 Frontier, but is not as strong when it comes to towing and it falls a little short regarding ground clearance. It's sure as hell no Jeep offroad. It takes the full 40 acre field to turn the Taco around. It is less bad, regarding blind spots, than the Nissan was.

Everything is tradeoffs.
Posted By: fredIII Re: Toyotas? - 11/21/18
Originally Posted by 16bore
Oh.....and white sucks. Sorry Ferd....

Eat your heart out. 😁
Posted By: huntsonora Re: Toyotas? - 11/21/18
[Linked Image]
Posted By: huntsonora Re: Toyotas? - 11/21/18
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Seafire Re: Toyotas? - 11/21/18
Originally Posted by huntsonora
[Linked Image]

That's an awfully clean 89 or so....
Posted By: Seafire Re: Toyotas? - 11/21/18
Originally Posted by fredIII
[Linked Image]

ya got your own Mini Toyota Dealership going there Fred?

only got ONE Toyota Truck here... bought it new 31 years ago....

it just rolled over 560K,, 22RE

but also own a couple of Camrys,,, 250K and 140K...

The one with 350K got given away to someone needy.. who got it stolen by
some drug addicted methheads....
Posted By: AB2506 Re: Toyotas? - 11/21/18
Originally Posted by huntsonora
[Linked Image]

I like this generation of Tundra the best. The 2007 and newer not so much, bought a F150 instead.

Drove my 1991 V6 4x4 extra cab pickup 20.5 years. Finally needed the engine rebuilt. Federal government was paying crazy amount of money to get older vehicles off the road. Took that incentive. More than I could have sold it for with it needing engine rebuild. Miss that truck. Love the F150. Family over ruled a Tacoma crewcab, wanted more space. I didn't like the Tundra, F150 was about $8000 cheaper.

I have had a 77 Corolla, 82 Celica GT, 09 RAV4 V6 Limited. Love all of them. Still have the RAV4. We bought my Dad's 98 V6 Camry LE. My daughters drive it at University.
Posted By: bigwhoop Re: Toyotas? - 11/21/18
2017 Tacoma Access Cab in Quicksand.
[img]https://beta-static.photobucke...920&height=1080&fit=bounds[/img]
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: Toyotas? - 11/21/18
Fred, Toyo’s are breeding like rabbits at your house...Both my Tundra and Sequoia see a lot of hunting action, as you know...I was 100% a Ford and Chevy guy until both continued to drain my wallet; especially my F350 diesel...57k on the 2011 Rock Warrior and 17k on the 2017 Sequoia. Lots of miles left to go....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The wife refused to get onboard with Toyota. Her sissy rig is a no-hunt...Grin.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: FryeBaby Re: Toyotas? - 11/22/18
I forgot to add the picture of my new 2018 Toyota Tundra Limited 4X4 that I just bought on my last post about my 32 year old Toyota 4X4. I love my new Tundra it is great and it has so many toys that I haven't figured out to use them all yet. If anybody would mind telling me how to add the picture to the thread instead of the link I sure would appreciate it. I searched for instructions and I can't get the instructions to work that I found. Thanks for any help.

[img]https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/galleries/13299454#Post13299454[/img]
Posted By: Mackay_Sagebrush Re: Toyotas? - 11/22/18
My Fj62 started out looking like this:

[Linked Image]

After a fair bit of work it looks like this:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

and is still a work in progress:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Mackay_Sagebrush Re: Toyotas? - 11/22/18
The dash was shot to match the exterior:

[Linked Image]

The interior has had a a little work done as well:

This pic is from last winter when I was going to a firearms shoot/social function. It was about 18 below zero when I left my hotel room in Salmon Idaho and the poor old Toyota was struggling to keep the interior warm. Shooting ARs and Glocks that day was a fun experience, as it really showed a lot of guys how much slower they function in extreme temps. Plus certain lubricants froze up guns.

(PRO TIP: 0W-20 or similar motor oil will keep guns running when typical "gun-oil" that is sold will cause repeated stoppages due to extreme cold)

[Linked Image]

It also see a bit of time off the beaten path:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: Toyotas? - 11/23/18
Originally Posted by Old_Toot
URL=http://s121.photobucket.com/user/CharlieB401/media/Canoe/002_zpsu2zghxf8.jpg.html][Linked Image][/URL]

FG, tell us about that trailer, please. I like the looks of that and have a need. Any and all info on it would be appreciated. Thanks.

Sorry I missed this guys.....I've been cleaning up the last of my seemingly never ending leaves before the snow flies.
I get asked about that trailer all the time. It was manufactured by "Pack Mule" in So. NV.
I bought that one used in 1977 but my understanding is that they sold out to an outfit in OK who kept the name but completely changed the design.
The design is brilliant and the craftsmanship impeccable. You'd be hard pressed to find someone with the skill to duplicate it now days.
And Good luck finding one......I've only seen one like it 40 yrs.

My camping gear lives in it so I just add beans, bacon, beer and ice and I'm GTG.

Have I mentioned that I love that little trailer?

Posted By: Old_Toot Re: Toyotas? - 11/23/18
Originally Posted by Old_Toot
URL=http://s121.photobucket.com/user/CharlieB401/media/Canoe/002_zpsu2zghxf8.jpg.html][Linked Image][/URL]

Sorry I missed this guys.....I've been cleaning up the last of my seemingly never ending leaves before the snow flies.
I get asked about that trailer all the time. It was manufactured by "Pack Mule" in So. NV.
I bought that one used in 1977 but my understanding is that they sold out to an outfit in OK who kept the name but completely changed the design.
The design is brilliant and the craftsmanship impeccable. You'd be hard pressed to find someone with the skill to duplicate it now days.
And Good luck finding one......I've only seen one like it 40 yrs.

My camping gear lives in it so I just add beans, bacon, beer and ice and I'm GTG.

Have I mentioned that I love that little trailer?

Thanks FG.
It has that “functional “ look about it for sure.
Posted By: Castle_Rock Re: Toyotas? - 11/23/18
Nice Landcruiser Mackay
This one us been lugging me around for the last 19 years, I’m pretty attached to it.
Posted By: Castle_Rock Re: Toyotas? - 11/23/18
[Linked Image]
Posted By: 358Norma_fan Re: Toyotas? - 11/23/18
My 2008 Tundra. I've been getting the itch to buy a new one lately but my practical side just won't let me do it. 116000 miles on it and there's a whole lot more life left in it.
It tow's the boat with ease and I've spent many a night camped in the back on fishing and hunting trips.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: gregintenn Re: Toyotas? - 11/24/18
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
The white 03 extended cab is mine, and the black 04 regular cab is my son's. My father has a 98 model, but I don't have a pic handy. All are trouble free.
Posted By: TexasPhotog Re: Toyotas? - 11/25/18
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
My Fj62 started out looking like this:

[Linked Image]

After a fair bit of work it looks like this:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

and is still a work in progress:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Great looking truck and I like the old Smith too!
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: Toyotas? - 11/25/18
My own favorite Toyota, '02 Corolla 5sp manual transmission. 347,000 miles

Original transmission tanked around 180,000 miles because some Einstein in an oil change place put automatic transmission fluid in, unasked. Replaced with a salvage unit for $600.

My Son and DIL finished off the original motor around 320,000 miles by never checking the oil. Replaced with a 120,000 mile salvage unit for $1,200 installed. Salvage units are always a gamble but 30,000 miles later this one is still not burning oil.

Been through two sets of universal joints, prob'ly three clutches, replaced the original struts with the motor change. Front bearing replaced about 4,000 miles back.

Only thing that breaks regularly are the inside door handles, $8ea. at O'Reilly's Auto Parts.

My DIL rear-ended someone and that same hood was bent across the middle to a 90 degree angle, with the radiator and mounts bent back accordingly. A Spanish-speaking genius with a hammer knocked everything back to usable as it sits in one afternoon for just $160 cash.

This is my little granddaughter's favorite car because with the car seat in the middle in back, she can see out all the windows easily. Here it is in action at the park.

[Linked Image]

I like this car because it appears to be one of the last model years where the driver is actually connected to the motor by cables rather than electronics and computers.

Lightweight, real narrow turning circle, parks where other vehicles wont fit, averages 32mpg overall the way I drive it (like it was a motorcycle), it will pull 90 - 100 mph on the Interstate all day amid fast traffic no problem.

Surprisingly nimble and quick in traffic; 125hp with a curb weight of just 2,400, most of the torque made in the mid range right where you need it.

By way of contrast my bigger '09 Corolla (250,000 miles) weighs at least 300 lbs more with just 7 more horsepower plus a computer-modulated electric gas pedal. Carefully tweaked by a he factory to maximize mileage it feels dog-slow compared to the '02 and it is real anemic in traffic unless you wind it out to near redline before shifting. Worse, the computer on the other side of the gas pedal decides the throttle setting, its not hard to actually stall it out with a manual transmission from a standing start.

A new Toyota is in my future and I would like a Tacoma, but I'll keep that '02 Corolla on the road 'long as I can get parts. Old, scarred and beat up as it is, it has a sort of Mad Max feel to it cool

Posted By: wilkeshunter Re: Toyotas? - 11/25/18
Tacomas are tough and reliable, but not meant for long distance driving. I am on my second as a company vehicle, and this is a fair comparison to my previous three F-150s. The F150s actually proved to be just as reliable as the Toyota’s, just more comfortable on longer trips.
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Toyotas? - 11/25/18
We've got a 2011 Toyota Camry and a 2011 Acura RDX. 50,000 miles on the Toyota and 75,000 on the Acura. (Honda product)

To keep up with the Joneses, it's probably time to trade them in for newer models. But it's hard to justify getting rid of either vehicle. Both of them look and run like new and are easily capable of being 150,000 mile vehicles,... and at the rate we accumulate miles around here, 150,000 miles is a long ways off.

Toyota and Honda products are for people who don't like to spend money on vehicles very often.
Posted By: jnyork Re: Toyotas? - 11/26/18
A, bout 10 years ago we bought a 98 Camry , salvage title, body work done, 85,000 on it, paid 5,000.00 for it, still driving it, 165,000 on it now, no major repairs, just keeps on tickin'.
Posted By: Stickfight Re: Toyotas? - 11/26/18
Originally Posted by 30338
probably Frontrunner.

We went with a Gobi on my wife's '18 and like it quite a lot. An expanded metal deck and a ladder are way nice.
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: Toyotas? - 11/26/18
New application for that little ‘02 Corolla discovered with my granddaughter today; roll down all the windows and pretend it’s a motorcycle grin

Better secure that McD Happy Meal first tho........
Posted By: Alagator Re: Toyotas? - 11/26/18
2008 Tacoma TRD with towing package:

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Gibby Re: Toyotas? - 12/01/18
I do not know how to post picks, but I picked one of these up a few weeks ago.
Still have my 12 year old one.

Copied and pasted pic.

https://www.toyota.com/imgix/respon...mp;cs=strip&bg=fff&auto=compress
Posted By: Jeff_O Re: Toyotas? - 12/01/18
I've had 4, now have 3. The '95 Land Cruiser was totalled.

A couple reasons why.

1. 1995 Land Cruiser, bought with 100k mikes, totalled at about 180k. In that time- mind you, from 100k to 180k miles- all I did was change the oil and replace (1) frozen brake caliper. Still ran and drove as new when totalled.

2. 2006 Tundra V8 4wd. Bought new. Now has 110k miles. In that time I have had (1) thing go bad- the controller for the tire pressure sensors. That's it. Other than that, brakes and oil. It gets used hard.

3. 2005 Corolla, bought for my daughter to use in high school. 175k miles, commuter, super clean. Ran and drove as new. 4 years later all I've done is oil changes. Still runs and drives perfect. Window seal needs replaced.

4. 2005 RAV4. More of the above. Did replace the alternator.

I see no reason to buy anything but Toyota with my hard-earned bucks. YMMV.
Posted By: Mackay_Sagebrush Re: Toyotas? - 12/02/18
Originally Posted by TexasPhotog

Great looking truck and I like the old Smith too!

That old S&W 4506 is a classic itself these days:

[Linked Image]
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Toyotas? - 03/21/19

revive an ole thread..........

recently upgraded my front bumper.....winch ready ARB.....

This is one well designed & built bumper...heavy duty for sure

Added a 9500# Smittybuilt winch while installing....now after adding the additional

178# I'm gonna to up grade the front coils to compensate for the added weight

OME 886's......Tacoma is a 2014 w/80K on the clock....V6 & 6 speed manual

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: butchlambert1 Re: Toyotas? - 03/21/19
Selling my 285,000 mile Mitsubishi Lancer to make way for a 2009 Toyota Corolla that a customer gave me. We surfaced the head and new head gasket, adding a factory XM radio and swaybar links. It only has 234,000 on it. It sure drives much better and quieter than the Lancer with about 2 more miles to a gallon on fuel.
Biggest problem was removing a 10 year old full wrap. never again!!
Posted By: EdM Re: Toyotas? - 03/21/19
2014 Tundra.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: deflave Re: Toyotas? - 03/21/19
Tikka,

ARB makes great stuff. Nice purchase.
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Toyotas? - 03/21/19
Originally Posted by deflave
Tikka,

ARB makes great stuff. Nice purchase.

Yep....Thx !

Kangaroo proof !

[Linked Image]
Posted By: DaveR Re: Toyotas? - 03/21/19
Old and New...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Still have the 2002. Though it will likely be sold this summer. It's been sitting in the garage the past couple years with the occasional trip out. Hard one to let go of. Best damn vehicle I've ever owned, and has taken us out and back from many adventures without so much as a hiccup.

With any luck the Gen3 will treat me as well.
Posted By: hanco Re: Toyotas? - 03/21/19
I had an 85, I put 300,000 miles on it before someone took it.
© 24hourcampfire