Home
Posted By: wabigoon Steel Made in North America? - 12/17/18
Anyone know how many steel mills, and what size mills are still operating in North America?
All I care about are American mills. Mexican and Canadian mills are of no importance to me.
Wiki Fu says...

"In 2017, there were 9 operating integrated steel mills in the United States (plus one idled), down from 13 in 2000. Integrated mills produced 31% of the steel produced in the US."
Most I can see is maybe 1. Granite City.

Gary will refit, but not expand or open anything new. That seems to be it.

Undoubtedly this will perk up the economy and bounce the stock market back up the 3000 pts it has lost, and lots more.
Originally Posted by Daveinjax
All I care about are American mills. Mexican and Canadian mills are of no importance to me.

Agree! I will not knowingly buy a product made with foreign steel, unless it is a Porsche or Audi. grin

Was looking for a smoker/grill, and they are all made in China with Chicom steel. No thanks.
I know that US Steel has the Mon Valley, Gary and Great Lakes Works. Inland Steel has Indiana Harbor. There's also the old Bethlehem plant in Burns Harbor, I don't know who runs it now. I think there's an old Republic mill in Cleveland. Things are well down from the 60s-70s when just Bethlehem had Burns Harbor, Sparrows Point, Lackawanna, Bethlehem, Johnstown, Middletown (and maybe a couple I don't remember). US Steel was even bigger. But when India, Brazil and China pay a pittance and have no safety or pollution controls, it's impossible to compete.
Yesterday we went trough Santa's Castle. It is in an old Carnegie library building. The times have changed in the Americas.
Posted By: hanco Re: Steel Made in North America? - 12/17/18
We let it all slip away to Foreign mills.
It's not going to be a smelter that makes steel from ore but Nucor is currently building one here in central MO. to make rebar. It's a pretty big project for this area... 3000-4000 acres of farmland that will be for the plant and rail yard.
Posted By: EdM Re: Steel Made in North America? - 12/18/18
The last ten or so years of my career had us buying Chinese steel almost exclusively. We had to work closely with the suppliers and QA the hell out of them during production and fabrication but the cost benefit was very large. Simply a requirement with international oil and gas.
Originally Posted by teamprairiedog
It's not going to be a smelter that makes steel from ore but Nucor is currently building one here in central MO. to make rebar. It's a pretty big project for this area... 3000-4000 acres of farmland that will be for the plant and rail yard.

Yes, Nucor has plants all over the country melting recycled steel and making new product.
Posted By: RDW Re: Steel Made in North America? - 12/18/18
American steel is a requirement for some higher educations system projects.
Posted By: Pat85 Re: Steel Made in North America? - 12/18/18
Originally Posted by UPhiker
There's also the old Bethlehem plant in Burns Harbor, I don't know who runs it now.

Mittal
Posted By: SBTCO Re: Steel Made in North America? - 12/18/18
From 2013, Steel.org.
https://www.steel.org/~/media/Files/AISI/Public%20Policy/Member%20Map/NorthAmerica-Map2013/SteelPlant_NorthAmerica_AISI_version_June252013.pdf

More than you would expect even if a bunch closed shop since 2013.
Posted By: Gus Re: Steel Made in North America? - 12/18/18
my speculation is that more recycle mills are either on the drawing boards or have been announced. but don't really keep up with it. the mini-mills might be recycle mills.
Originally Posted by SBTCO
From 2013, Steel.org.
https://www.steel.org/~/media/Files/AISI/Public%20Policy/Member%20Map/NorthAmerica-Map2013/SteelPlant_NorthAmerica_AISI_version_June252013.pdf

More than you would expect even if a bunch closed shop since 2013.

That's a very interesting map. The red dots are the Basic Oxygen Furnace plants. Those are the large blast furnace plants that make iron/steel from ore. There aren't many of them left but they are generally the largest mills.
Nucore has a bar mill in Jewett Texas and Chaparral Steel in Midlothian Texas makes rebar and some bar stock. Lassalle Steel across the road in Midlothian cold finishes bar stock. They have to get 12L14 from Taiwan. The EPA doesn't allow leaded bar stock to be made here anymore. Obama closed the last lead smelt during his reign.

If you wonder what happened look no further than our own government. They are to blame for the lost jobs and manufacturing. When you can get the stuff overseas cheaper than here blame your own government.
As petroleum exploration increases the Lorain Ohio pipe mill will fire up. Makers of some of the best seamless pipe in the world.
I grew up in the Youngstown Ohio area, which at one time was one of the largest steel producing cities in the world. Sadly, virtually all that industrial production is gone now. We used to look east into town after dark and see the light flashing on the sky as they poured steel. That sight hasn't happened in a long, long time now. Interestingly, the Mahoning River, which supplied much of the water to the mills has rebounded from it's high level of pollution. Fish thrive in the river now. Youngstown is dying a slow and agonizing death. They just were informed that the Lordstown GM Assembly Plant will be shut down soon. This was about the last big employer left in the area. Sad to see an industrial town in it's death throws. During WWII, my mom worked in the mills, as did most women. Most of the men were overseas, and the mills had to keep making steel. She made tank treads at the old Sheet and Tube plant.
Nucor Corporation is a producer of steel and related products headquartered in Charlotte, North Carolina. It is the largest steel producer in the United States.
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
Originally Posted by Daveinjax

Agree! I will not knowingly buy a product made with foreign steel, unless it is a Porsche or Audi. grin

Was looking for a smoker/grill, and they are all made in China with Chicom steel. No thanks.

If you want a top shelf pellet smoker/grill, talk to the fine folks at MAK Grills. Awesome product, made with domestic sourced stainless(I believe its domestic), and built by skilled craftsmen in Oregon, USA. They're spendy, but worth every penny IMO. Aren't Yoder grills made down in your area?

Jeff
Posted By: hanco Re: Steel Made in North America? - 12/19/18
A lot of projects require US made steel!
Posted By: Dutch Re: Steel Made in North America? - 12/19/18
There's a Nucor plant down the freeway in Plymouth, Utah. Crushed cars go in, rebar and stuff comes out. Not really a state of the art process..... but it's work for a couple of dozen local farmers that need a real income.
© 24hourcampfire